+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you know the secret that lies 1200 feet below Detroit that has killed 6 people?

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,008 times in 641 posts

Default Do you know the secret that lies 1200 feet below Detroit that has killed 6 people?

A secret that started over 400 m years ago, that is 1500+ acres in size.

A salt mine...

...That in 1914, produced over 8000 tons of rock salt a month!

(And apparently has over 100 miles of road deep down (the height of the empire state building).

What’s happened to all the tunnelling and caverns since then?

Is it still in use today? Or been reused for "storage", a facility or something else?

Anyone know any more about this?
    Last edited by scotslad; 20th January 2019 at 21:49. Reason: grammar

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

avid (20th January 2019), Bill Ryan (21st January 2019), Bob (20th January 2019), Chanie (21st January 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st January 2019), East Sun (20th January 2019), I should cocoa (21st January 2019), ljwheat (20th January 2019), Pam (21st January 2019), Sadieblue (21st January 2019), shaberon (21st January 2019), Sunny-side-up (20th January 2019), Tintin (21st January 2019), toppy (20th January 2019), TrumanCash (21st January 2019), Victoria (3rd September 2019), Watching from Cyprus (21st January 2019), yiolas (20th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member ljwheat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,570 times in 870 posts

Default Re: Do you know the secret that lies 1200 feet below Detroit that has killed 6 people?

Yes i Do , I grew up in Toledo,Ohio Its like LA California sitting on top of earth quake prone one never think when but you know , it will..........one day.
    Paintings that I have created over the last 35 years >Gallery https://projectavalon.net/forum4/album.php?albumid=587< or here at ACC http://www.ashtarcommandcrew.net/gro...-or-collection

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ljwheat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2019), Chanie (21st January 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st January 2019), Pam (21st January 2019), scotslad (21st January 2019), Sunny-side-up (20th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,930 times in 350 posts

Default Re: Do you know the secret that lies 1200 feet below Detroit that has killed 6 people?

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    A secret that started over 400 m years ago, that is 1500+ acres in size.

A salt mine...

...That in 1914, produced over 8000 tons of rock salt a month!

(And apparently has over 100 miles road deep down (the height of the empire state building).

What’s happened to all the tunnelling and caverns since then?

It is still in use today? Or been reused for something else?

Anyone know any more about this.
    I might be able to do a bit of digging and figure it out.

There was a lot of exploration going on in this area of the world in the 1800’s. Oil was discovered just 80 miles north of Detroit (here in Ontario, Canada) in 1858. Then, in 1866, men looking for oil stumbled across major salt deposits in the Lake Huron (Sarnia-Goderich) area. I believe the salt in Detroit is part of the same deposit and was discovered in the 1890’s.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chanie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st January 2019), Justplain (21st January 2019), Pam (21st January 2019), scotslad (21st January 2019), Tintin (21st January 2019), Valerie Villars (21st January 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,055 times in 2,419 posts

Here's what happens when a lake drains into a salt mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2019), Chanie (21st January 2019), Denise/Dizi (21st January 2019), Dick (21st January 2019), happyuk (21st January 2019), Orph (21st January 2019), Pam (21st January 2019), scotslad (21st January 2019), yelik (21st January 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Nothing obvious to be concerned over . Although the tunnel system was closed for several decades , the Detroit Salt Company was bought by the Kissner Group of Canada in 2010 .
    Kissner Group Holdings Ltd is the parent company of a leading bulk salt, specialty packaged salt and evaporated salt producer, Kisser, and a few days ago announced that it has acquired NSC Minerals Ltd. , a market-leading provider of salt products in Western Canada and the North Central United States, from an investor group led by Altas Partners. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

NSC is a leading producer of salt and calcium chloride products to provincial, state, and municipal governments, contractors, and industrial customers. The Company offers a wide range of bulk, industrial, and packaged products used in critical applications such as road de-icing.

NSC will continue to operate under its existing brand as a subsidiary of Kissner. The Company’s production, packaging and storage facilities in Canada and the U.S. will remain fully operational.

“NSC is a well-run and highly complementary addition to our growing platform and solidifies Kissner’s position as one of North America’s premier, multi-regional salt companies,” said Mark Demetree, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Kissner Group Holdings LP. “With its strong position in the Western Canada highway de-icing salt market and growth potential in the calcium chloride market, NSC expands our geographic presence in Canada and enhances our financial scale and flexibility with non-cyclical, recurring revenue. I look forward to welcoming the talented NSC team to Kissner as we pursue our next phase of growth together.”

“We are pleased to continue to help expand Kissner’s geographic footprint and aggressively support the company’s management team in their growth efforts,” said Jeffrey Siegal, Partner at Metalmark Capital. “We look forward to our continued work with this great company to further its capabilities to deliver exceptional products and service to its customers.”
    The transaction closed January 16, 2019.

About NSC Minerals Ltd.

Founded in 1988 and based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, NSC is a market-leading provider of salt for de-icing, industrial, and agricultural applications. NSC distributes product through a best-in-class logistics network to customers including provincial, state, and municipal governments, contractors, and industrial customers in Western Canada and the North Central United States.

About Kissner Group Holdings LP

Kissner Group Holdings LP is the parent company of Kissner and is owned by Metalmark Capital Holdings LLC (“Metalmark Capital”), a private equity firm, Silvertree-KMC II LP, a venture between Silverhawk Capital Partners and Demetree Salt, LLC, and the Kissner management team.

About Kissner

Headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, Kissner is a leading, vertically integrated bulk salt, specialty packaged salt and evaporated salt producer focused on governmental and commercial customers in the Great Lakes, Great Plains, Midwest and East Coast regions and Ontario province. Kissner owns and operates two rock salt mines located in Detroit, Michigan and Lyons, Kansas, as well as an evaporated salt business (US Salt) which has a salt refinery in Watkins Glen, New York.

See what I mean ?The Detroit Salt Mine is part of an enormous combine and clearly an operating proposition in its own right .

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,930 times in 350 posts

The Goderich salt mine north of Detroit is 533 metres below the surface and tunnels 7 km underneath Lake Huron. See: http://projects.thestar.com/projects...ake_huron.html

I have heard rumours of a tunnel system running through this area. This part of the world was part of the underground railroad system for escaped slaves and also known for rum running during the prohibition years.

There do appear to be rumours of other tunnels underneath Detroit.
    See: https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...nels-in-cities
    See: https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...oston-new-york
    Last edited by Chanie; 23rd March 2019 at 14:06.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chanie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2019), Pam (21st January 2019), scotslad (21st January 2019), Teknishun (22nd January 2019)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Chanie (here)
    . This part of the world was part of the underground railroad system for escaped slaves and also known for rum running during the prohibition years.

l
    Yep . Plenty rum goings on in the past .
    But it doesn't feature in my copy of Richard Sauder's ," Underground Bases and Tunnels " . And he is the governor in these matters -- he has made more FOI requests than we have had hot dinners .

+ Reply to Thread