+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking recommendations for books about ESP, with scientific basis

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 times in 496 posts

Default Seeking recommendations for books about ESP, with scientific basis

Hey, guys.

So I want to learn more about ESP, and what kind of scientific evidence is out there to support its existence. I'm looking for a book that would sway all but the most hardened skeptics, something that is grounded in science and the scientific method, that would offer proof or something close to it regarding the existence of ESP.

I already believe in it, but that's always been intuitive, rather than through hard scientific evidence.

I want to change that.

I did read some of the declassified docs about what the CIA studied in China, but the sample sizes were small and no citations were given, which unfortunately muddles it a bit.

If any of you know of any books that would remedy this, please let me know. I'd be glad to read it!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tam For This Post:

Constance (2nd February 2019), Ed Dawson (21st July 2020), EFO (22nd July 2020), petra (1st February 2019), Sunny-side-up (1st February 2019), Tintin (1st February 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

Default Re: Seeking recommendations for books about ESP, with scientific basis

Hey there.

Check out some of Charles Tart's books -- definitely a scientist and definitely a scientist who works on stuff like ESP and altered states and such. Have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=charles+tart

There's also Rupert Sheldrake, -- I don't know how "grounded" he is in the "scientific method" but he's done some interesting experiments. Good writer too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...pert+sheldrake
    Last edited by Caliban; 1st February 2019 at 03:17.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (1st February 2019), Sunny-side-up (1st February 2019), Tam (1st February 2019), Tintin (1st February 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Forest Denizen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 times in 450 posts

Rupert Sheldrake’s doctoral degree is actually in biochemistry (Cambridge University) and he has published many papers in peer-reviewed journals so I would say he has scientific credibility. However, even more to the point, his research has been highly creative, groundbreaking, and really pretty wonderful! I would recommend that you take a look at his work on esp in animals.
    Very engaging and very cool!
    "Love is the only engine of survival.." Leonard Cohen

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Forest Denizen For This Post:

Caliban (1st February 2019), Constance (2nd February 2019), EFO (22nd July 2020), Jayke (21st July 2020), Sunny-side-up (1st February 2019), Tam (1st February 2019), Tintin (1st February 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

I would add reading/vids from Richard Alan Miller AKA Ram.

This is good info:

He explains what ESP is and how it works and how to condition and see your self as a being.

He trained the first Navy Seals to be ESP fighters.

He had 3 books relating to the subject.
    Last edited by Sunny-side-up; 1st February 2019 at 11:40.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (21st July 2020), Tam (2nd February 2019), Tintin (2nd February 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,603 times in 5,415 posts

Hi Indigris

I strongly recommend The Society for Psychical Research as a resource. They describe themselves, accurately, thus:
    THE SOCIETY for Psychical Research was set up in London in 1882, the first scientific organisation ever to examine claims of psychic and paranormal phenomena. We hold no corporate view about their existence or meaning; rather, our purpose is to gather information and foster understanding through research and education. Read more about our history

We are a registered charity run by a council of elected members, with committees overseeing various activities. Past presidents have included philosophers William James and Henri Bergson, scientists William Crookes, John Strutt (Lord Rayleigh) and Charles Richet, and British conservative prime minister Arthur Balfour. We are always looking to increase our funding for research and education, through donations and bequests.

Our members represent a variety of academic and professional interests all over the world. We welcome active researchers and volunteer helpers, also those who wish to learn about the subject.
    I was present quite some years ago for a seminar that they gave at the Fortean Unconvention in London and acquired (for my own interest) a copy of their most up to date proceedings at that time.

They of course also have books for sale.

ESP related case studies, publications, papers, citations etc..can be gleaned from here: https://www.spr.ac.uk/search/node/ESP

Dr Rupert Sheldrake and Russell Targ have contributed to their work as well.

Diane Hennacy Powell's The ESP Enigma: The Scientific Case for Psychic Phenomena, may be of interest to you: https://www.spr.ac.uk/book/esp-enigm...hennacy-powell
    Last edited by Tintin; 1st February 2019 at 13:17.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (21st July 2020), Jayke (21st July 2020), petra (1st February 2019), Sunny-side-up (1st February 2019), Tam (2nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (1st February 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,137 times in 500 posts

Greetings
    THE REALITY OF ESP by Russel Targ
    Blessings
    end of line.
    Moderator edit @ Feb 01 15:51GMT: thanks Dave
    Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reality-ESP.../dp/0835608840
    The Reality of ESP: A Physicist’s Proof of Psychic Abilities, by Russell Targ
    Publication Details: Quest Books. ISBN-978-0-8356-0884-8
    Publish date: April, 2012

Tintin Q
    Last edited by Tintin; 1st February 2019 at 15:53.
    If people can be made to believe absurdities, then they can be made to accept atrocities."

“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.”

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lefty Dave For This Post:

EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (21st July 2020), gord (1st February 2019), petra (1st February 2019), Tam (2nd February 2019), Tintin (1st February 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 times in 731 posts

The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe, Lynne McTaggart

From Publishers Weekly

McTaggart, an investigative journalist (What Doctors Don't Tell You), describes scientific discoveries that she believes point to a unifying concept of the universe, one that reconciles mind with matter, classic Newtonian science with quantum physics and, most importantly, science with religion. At issue is the zero point field, the so-called "dead space" of microscopic vibrations in outer space as well as within and between physical objects on earth. These fields, McTaggart asserts, are a "cobweb of energy exchange" that link everything in the universe; they control everything from cellular communication to the workings of the mind, and they could be harnessed for unlimited propulsion fuel, levitation, ESP, spiritual healing and more. Physicists have been aware of the likelihood of this field for years, McTaggart writes, but, constrained by orthodoxy, they have ignored its effects, which she likens to "subtracting out God" from their equations. But, McTaggart asserts, "tiny pockets of quiet rebellion" against scientific convention are emerging, led by Ed Mitchell, an Apollo 14 astronaut and founder of the Institute for Noetic Sciences, an alternative-science think tank. McTaggart writes well and tells a good story, but the supporting data here is somewhat sketchy. Until it materializes, McTaggart may have to settle for being a voice in the wilderness.
    Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Savannah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st July 2020), EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (21st July 2020), Jayke (21st July 2020), petra (1st February 2019), Tintin (2nd February 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Ed Dawson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The scientific book that kicked it all off, which I read in 1966, is New Frontiers of the Mind, by Dr Rhine.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Dawson For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st July 2020), EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (21st July 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Ed Dawson (here)
    The scientific book that kicked it all off, which I read in 1966, is New Frontiers of the Mind, by Dr Rhine.
    Many thanks, Ed — I searched for that, but failed to find it anywhere as a PDF. But we do have these two books in the Avalon Library:

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

EFO (22nd July 2020), Forest Denizen (21st July 2020), kudzy (22nd July 2020), Yoda (21st July 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I don't have a pdf, or I'd give it to you. My copy is my mother's hardbound which she bought before I was born.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Dawson For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st July 2020), EFO (22nd July 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Dawson For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st July 2020), EFO (22nd July 2020)

+ Reply to Thread