+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 10 20 28 LastLast

Thread: Turmoil in Venezuela

1. Link to Post #181
    Spain Deactivated
    Canary Islands overlooking a beach with forest covered mountains behind.
    Thanks

Default Re: Turmoil in Venezuela

https://www.caracaschronicles.com/20...ship-up-to-11/

The tug-of-war between Juan Guaidó and Nicolas Maduro for recognition as Venezuela’s president has recently intensified, including a new offensive strategy against freedom of speech by chavismo. Just in the last couple of days, Nicolás Maduro’s regime arrested two Chilean journalists (who spent at least 14 hours detained, before being deported), two Venezuelan, two French (working for private TV channel TF1, both later deported) and their local contact, free at the time of publication.

Due process is not really a concern in the system Hugo Chávez built.
    Three workers of the Spanish news agency EFE were arrested as well: two Colombian nationals, one Spanish and their Venezuelan driver. The EFE Newsroom Board demandedtheir immediate release, followed by the Spanish and Colombian governments. After several hours, they were released. EFE publicly condemned their deportation afterwards.

Maduro’s Foreign Minister, Jorge Arreaza, justifies all of this with the alleged enforcement of local laws, saying everything that’s going on against free press is really a “mediatic op.” Since we’ve covered similar cases in recent years, we can tell you: Arreaza’s claims are not just inaccurate, they’re pure bad faith.

State Telecom CANTV has imposed targeted blocks on social networks and even Wikipedia, showing the hegemony’s willingness to create a void on information so the red narrative holds on. NGO IPYS Venezuela confirms that the battlefield has certainly expanded to digital arenas.

“Chavismo has been building their communicational hegemony for 20 years, first by creating new outlets, then by censorship. Today, mainstream media is either dead, or self-censored due to harassment from CONATEL. The lack of newsprint was a deliberate part of it, and the one thing left are digital outlets and the foreign press. How come they don’t attack Televen or Venevisión? It’s because they’re already subdued.”

“If they can’t control it, they attack it.”

Journalist Luis Carlos Díaz has an even more Machiavellian theory:

“(This is) a system doing all it can for international recognition, including kidnapping and holding foreign citizens, so consulates and ambassadors are forced to recognize them as authorities for negotiation.”

2. Link to Post #182
    Thanks

Trying to move matters sideways , and I am a solid Maduro supporter for what I regard essentially as first principle reasons :--

Is it possible that the apparently appalling mistakes being made here by Trump are based on group think that it is easily the best option because Venezuela must not fall into Russian or Chinese hands ?

If that is a thought - out and joined-up strategy, I believe it cannot be lightly dismissed .

3. Link to Post #183
    Great Britain Avalon Member Baby Steps's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,663 times in 1,521 posts

To what degree does the boycotts that certain parties did in the last election de-legitimise the result, and Maduro's presidency?
    we have subcontracted the business of healing people to Companies who profit from sickness.

4. Link to Post #184
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,433 times in 21,489 posts

Here is a quite readable article describing Venezuela's oil reserves: Valuing Venezuela’s Orinoco Oil Belt.

In short - the reserves are Huuuge. There may be enough oil there to provide the entire world's oil needs for 30 years, and the reserves are in a geographic location, a warm climate and close to the ocean for shipping, that is quite convenient.

The British globalists and their "special" ally the Americans have spent the last century making sure they control the largest petroleum exporting regions. Now they are losing their grip on the Middle East, and have little control over Russian oil. They must control the two other largest reserves, the Canadian tar sands in Alberta and Venezuela’s Orinoco Oil Belt. This has no doubt been obvious to these globalists for at least a couple of decades. Thus they must destroy any independent nation-state in that region. Destroying independent nation states is a core competency of these globalists.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

5. Link to Post #185
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

interesting theory on how it may be about protecting the monopoly that the US has on V.'s oil (Venezuela has larger fields than saudi)

Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. Link to Post #186
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Michael Hudson, who may be one of, if not the, smartest economist that I enjoy reading, reminded me of something that I had noticed sometime ago, and then forgotten.

Trump is destroying the American Imperial Empire, at record pace. With his various sanctions and erratic attacks on any nation that doesn't bow to his "Axis of Evil" John Bolton, Mike Pompeo and Elliott Abrams, Trump is driving other nations to build financial, trade, and infrastructure arrangements with each other, independent of the United States, as fast as they can.

The Yankees and their King Dollar, global intelligence networks, and sole remaining superpower military, are no longer to be trusted.

Or if you prefer Michael Hudson's lengthier, more erudite, version of this observation, see his new article at Trump’s Brilliant Strategy to Dismember U.S. Dollar Hegemony (CounterPunch).

Here are four paragraphs from the middle of Hudson's article to wet your appetite:

=============
    The Deep State is reacting with shock at how this right-wing real estate grifter has been able to drive other countries to defend themselves by dismantling the U.S.-centered world order. To rub it in, he is using Bush and Reagan-era Neocon arsonists, John Bolton and now Elliott Abrams, to fan the flames in Venezuela. It is almost like a black political comedy. The world of international diplomacy is being turned inside-out. A world where there is no longer even a pretense that we might adhere to international norms, let alone laws or treaties.

The Neocons who Trump has appointed are accomplishing what seemed unthinkable not long ago: Driving China and Russia together – the great nightmare of Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski. They also are driving Germany and other European countries into the Eurasian orbit, the “Heartland” nightmare of Halford Mackinder a century ago.

The root cause is clear: After the crescendo of pretenses and deceptions over Iraq, Libya and Syria, along with our absolution of the lawless regime of Saudi Arabia, foreign political leaders are coming to recognize what world-wide public opinion polls reported even before the Iraq/Iran-Contra boys turned their attention to the world’s largest oil reserves in Venezuela: The United States is now the greatest threat to peace on the planet.

Calling the U.S. coup being sponsored in Venezuela a defense of democracy reveals the Doublethink underlying U.S. foreign policy. It defines “democracy” to mean supporting U.S. foreign policy, pursuing neoliberal privatization of public infrastructure, dismantling government regulation and following the direction of U.S.-dominated global institutions, from the IMF and World Bank to NATO. For decades, the resulting foreign wars, domestic austerity programs and military interventions have brought more violence, not democracy.
    =============

7. Link to Post #187
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Dmitry Orlov offers his own analysis of what's going on with the U.S. and Venezuela in this article: Why must Venezuela be destroyed? (InformationClearingHouse).

Dmitry also figures it's about oil, and that once the U.S. fracking efforts fail, which they will (I agree), then the US will once again be looking to import large quantities of oil. The U.S. used to blow up nations and steal their oil, but that's not been working so well lately. It failed in Syria, and Dmitry figures it will fail in Venezuela as well.

To these points, Dmitry writes:
    Quote A rather large oil shortage is coming, and it will rather specifically affect the US, which burns 20% of the world’s oil (with just 5% of the world’s population). Once fracking crashes, the US will go from having to import 2.5 million barrels per day to importing at least 10—and that oil won’t exist. Previously, the US was able to solve this problem by blowing up countries and stealing their oil: the destruction of Iraq and Libya made American oil companies whole for a while and kept the financial house of cards from collapsing. But the effort to blow up Syria has failed, and the attempt to blow up Venezuela is likely to fail too because, keep in mind, Venezuela has between 7 and 9 million Chavistas imbued with the Bolivarian revolutionary spirit, a large and well-armed military and is generally a very tough neighborhood.
    Essentially in agreement with Michael Hudson (previous post above), Dmitry figures that the American Empire is collapsing.

Dmitry concludes his article with:
    Quote If Plan A (steal Venezuela’s oil) fails, then Plan B is to take all of your US dollar-denominated paper waste—cash, stocks, bonds, deeds, insurance policies, promissory notes, etc.—and burn it in trash barrels in an effort to stay warm. There is a definite whiff of desperation to the whole affair. The global hegemon is broken; it fell down and it can’t get up.
    I agree with both Dmitry and Hudson ... and enjoy reading both of them.

8. Link to Post #188
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Michael Hudson, who may be one of, if not the, smartest economist that I enjoy reading, reminded me of something that I had noticed sometime ago, and then forgotten.

Trump is destroying the American Imperial Empire, at record pace. With his various sanctions and erratic attacks on any nation that doesn't bow to his "Axis of Evil" John Bolton, Mike Pompeo and Elliott Abrams, Trump is driving other nations to build financial, trade, and infrastructure arrangements with each other, independent of the United States, as fast as they can.

The Yankees and their King Dollar, global intelligence networks, and sole remaining superpower military, are no longer to be trusted.

Or if you prefer Michael Hudson's lengthier, more erudite, version of this observation, see his new article at Trump’s Brilliant Strategy to Dismember U.S. Dollar Hegemony (CounterPunch).

Here are four paragraphs from the middle of Hudson's article to wet your appetite:

=============
    The Deep State is reacting with shock at how this right-wing real estate grifter has been able to drive other countries to defend themselves by dismantling the U.S.-centered world order. To rub it in, he is using Bush and Reagan-era Neocon arsonists, John Bolton and now Elliott Abrams, to fan the flames in Venezuela. It is almost like a black political comedy. The world of international diplomacy is being turned inside-out. A world where there is no longer even a pretense that we might adhere to international norms, let alone laws or treaties.

The Neocons who Trump has appointed are accomplishing what seemed unthinkable not long ago: Driving China and Russia together – the great nightmare of Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski. They also are driving Germany and other European countries into the Eurasian orbit, the “Heartland” nightmare of Halford Mackinder a century ago.

The root cause is clear: After the crescendo of pretenses and deceptions over Iraq, Libya and Syria, along with our absolution of the lawless regime of Saudi Arabia, foreign political leaders are coming to recognize what world-wide public opinion polls reported even before the Iraq/Iran-Contra boys turned their attention to the world’s largest oil reserves in Venezuela: The United States is now the greatest threat to peace on the planet.

Calling the U.S. coup being sponsored in Venezuela a defense of democracy reveals the Doublethink underlying U.S. foreign policy. It defines “democracy” to mean supporting U.S. foreign policy, pursuing neoliberal privatization of public infrastructure, dismantling government regulation and following the direction of U.S.-dominated global institutions, from the IMF and World Bank to NATO. For decades, the resulting foreign wars, domestic austerity programs and military interventions have brought more violence, not democracy.
    =============
    Somebody better tell the genius strategist guy in the white house that Venezuela CANNOT POSSIBLY maneuver their way out of the international noose that the American Empire has around them, so even if the author is correct, it's too late for Venezuela to network their way out of this. Collateral damage, I guess. Assuming this really was genius strategy and not just a "spin" on another imperialist takeover, like madeline albright, would trump say "It was worth it"? At the globalist level, this is just a board game (like "Risk") and human lives, environment, and even entire nations are expendable.

9. Link to Post #189
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

~230~ Venezuela Fake Coup, Truth About Kamala Harris, & Yellow Vests

Redacted Tonight
    Published on Mar 22, 2018

Lee Camp speaks with Eva Golinger about the disinformation surrounding Venezuela and how Western corporate media drop the ball when it comes to giving the context of Venezuela’s very real crisis. Then, he breaks down the ridiculousness of Trump promoting the execution of drug dealers.

"La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

10. Link to Post #190
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

11. Link to Post #191
    Spain Deactivated
    Thanks

My God Herve, it's embarrassing the propaganda lies you keep posting!

I can only conclude that you have OCD or are paid by the Russians...

And you're an Administrator? No wonder the membership is falling.

12. Link to Post #192
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by 5th (here)

hahahahaha I hear that Putin pays good money to post a meme poster with some comparison election (and non-election) stats. Hervé, could you please put a good word in for me at the Kremlin the next time you get your paycheck? Tell Vlad that I too have been following the Russian plan of warning Venezuela of Globalist attack and takeover, spearheaded by the USA, INC. and its CIA. I too deserve a paycheck.

13. Link to Post #193
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

5th, if you feel that way then why do you stay? If it was up to me, you'd been G-O-N-E weeks ago.

Avalon Forum Guidelines - Membership Guidelines.
    2. RESPECT

Disagreeing with various points or topics is natural, and has always been a healthy component of all human activity throughout history. However, we do require that all members are treated with respect. In very many cases, what matters is not what you say... but how you say it.
    • If a member’s conduct is seen to hurt the community spirit of the group, and persist even after warnings to please change the way they’re communicating, they’ll be unsubscribed. In most cases, for a member to be unsubscribed, this is the last resort after quite a lot of effort has been made by the moderators’ team to communicate privately with the member concerned.
    • Do understand that we all know that someone can ‘have a bad day’. (Or even, sometimes, a bad week!) We have a high tolerance for anyone who is upset, and feels the compulsion to express it. What we’re referring to here, when we talk of unsubscribing someone, is when it becomes clear that someone is not (or is no longer) a ‘good fit’ with the spirit and values of the community.
    • If someone is unsubscribed, it does not mean that they are in any way a ‘bad person’. We are not judging anyone in that way, and have no right to. What it does mean is that we’ve taken the executive decision that they are not (or are no longer) a good fit with the values and spirit of our particular community.

14. Link to Post #194
    Spain Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    5th, if you feel that way then why do you stay? If it was up to me, you'd been G-O-N-E weeks ago.

At least my comment was amusing - yours is just plain nasty.

15. Link to Post #195
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

My God Herve, [...]
    Congratulation, 5th: you made it to top troll of the week!

A few more of those and I'll be happy to comply with members and mods requests to send you on a well earned forum vacation.

16. Link to Post #196
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Naw, nasty would be if I said you were: rude, condescending, arrogant, with a side order of holier-than-thou attitude.

17. Link to Post #197
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,632 times in 2,653 posts

Excuse me, but why are you so rude to respected members, and wish to cast aspersions on our forum? In fact, why did you join if you are so hyper-critical?
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

18. Link to Post #198
    Spain Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)

Quote It appears Maduro is responsible for Venezuela's condition. He put everybody on the payroll and then the oil price collapsed.
    What's not said, is that the oil price collapse, orchestration and protracted implementation was designed to undermine Venezuela's oil revenues... along with the financial, import/export sanctions imposed on the country and which is detailed in this thread.
    Oh, maybe you're not being paid by Putin because this I agree with!

However, I think you'll find that oil was forced down to harm Putin, not Venezuela.

19. Link to Post #199
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

5th, you missed this:

Chavez was supposed to have been taken out after the staged 9/11 event as one Rockefeller confided to Aaron Russo, who also suspiciously died of an aggressive cancer after he blew the whistle on all this.

Here's Russo's talk to an interviewer...

Listen all the way through, it's one of the greatest exposés of the cold, calculated elite mindset you'll see from a first hand encounter and specifically mentions their designs for Venezuela:

20. Link to Post #200
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I'm only 1:46 in, but want to say something related but off topic.

I went to renew my license, the day before my birthday, here in the United States. The state of Louisiana.

I have worked since I was fourteen. Busted my ass.

In 2013 I got laid off from both my jobs; one at the Tulane University Primate Center and the second waiting tables.

Fast forward to almost six years later. My license has been suspended because of state taxes I owe.

What I am saying is not only is the money chipped, but now your freedom is. Non ability to pay taxes is now linked to the ability to drive or not drive, thereby hampering your ability to drive to a job and earn money to pay their taxes. So they can take away more of your freedom.

Sorry, Herve', but it's all related and I had to relay it.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 10 20 28 LastLast