+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Let's talk about vitamins and minerals and supplements, starting from scratch

1. Link to Post #21
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,268 times in 2,725 posts

Default Re: Let's talk about vitamins and minerals and supplements, starting from scratch

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    eat the alphabet ( pun not intended).

Do it in a smart manner of testing your own individual needs though.

agree to you 100% let me explain from my own understanding and experience.

How many ingredients/nutrition and sub ingredient does it take to make insulin? Point is two people can have identical diabetes but they most probably need different nutrition to make an insulin. I always advice people I help to go for the variety and feel for it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Mike (18th February 2019), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 times in 404 posts

Default Re: Let's talk about vitamins and minerals and supplements, starting from scratch

Dennis
    I take NOW vitamins. They make one for men (Adam) and one for women (Eve). Since I am 70, Adam does me little good. I tried Adam vits and my urine stayed yellow. Lots of additives for young men, which I don't need. So I started with Eve vits. Urine went fairly clear. Good as the vits are being absorbed much better. I surely am not concerned about the differences between Adam and Eve. Who cares. To that I add NOW E 400 IU's and NOW D3 1000 IU's. I will be looking in to K2. Also I will probably restart Co Q10. Joint lubrication is a big deal for oldsters and this regimen helps with that.
    One other thing I have discovered - if I take the vits and minerals with a big meal, it helps with overall energy. If I take them at night before sleep time it enhances the libido. Vely intelesting.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Ewan (14th February 2024), Mike (18th February 2019), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 times in 731 posts

I eat all organic, high protein low carb. No wheat, grain, corn, soy, sugar or seed oil. I eliminate inflammatory vegetables. I eat grass feed beef, free range hormone free chicken. For lunch I eat home made meal bars of almond flour, chocolate collagen protein powder (Bulletproof brand) , Bone broth protein powder, lecithin granules, psyllium, dates or prunes, walnuts, eggs, black seed oil and coconut MCT oil.

I drink a glass of water with Hawaiian Spirlina, Moringa and Dr. Gruny's prebiotics, probiotics, vital reds and plants. I take 1 TBS of cholorfresh daily.

A .5 tsp of grass feed organic Colostrum daily, slowly absorbed under my tongue. Renegade Pharmacist is the best brand

I drink distilled water. The body does not absorb minerals from water but from plants. Distilled water is basically rain water. I supplement with ALL vitamins, minerals, iron- Iodoral, amino acids, ubiquinol CoQ10 and omegas.

Host Defense mushrooms, My community-Comprehensive support

I may add what I need based on what I'm experiencing such as pain, infection, sleep problems etc. So I have DSMO, MSM, Oreganol juice, oregano oil, gaba, melatonin, tryptophan. I try to use Source of Life vitamins made from vegetable sources. I try to buy high quality.

1 dropper of full spectrum hemp oil at night for sleep.

I make hot tea with, Vital Proteins: Matcha Collagen

Etherium Gold, monatonic trace minerals daily

I shop mainly at whole foods and sprouts. When I can I go to the farmers market but that's not cheap either. It all costs a fortune but I'm still working full time and can afford it for now. When I retire I will have to find a way to cut costs.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Savannah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Ewan (14th February 2024), Mike (18th February 2019), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Why does the body not absorb minerals from water?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bogdan9310 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 times in 144 posts

I'm elated right now (literally) about a supplement I've been taking for about a month and this is written basically for the gray haired Avalons.

Past 45 years old, dopamine decreases at a rate of 15% per decade in the body.

Mucuna Pruriens is a tropical legume and a good source of L-Dopa, which is the direct precursor of dopamine and able to cross the blood/brain barrier.

The supplement I am taking is NOW Dopa-Mucuna and supplies 180mg of L-Dopa per capsule. One capsule a day in the morning after breakfast works good for me. I roughly follow the recommendation of only 4-5 days per week by taking it for three days and then one day off.

Increased dopamine levels have made me feel more energetic, less forgetful; have increased my vitality and endurance, enhanced my mood and brought feelings of well-being. The results are immediate and do not require weeks and weeks to manifest.

I highly recommend this supplement for the wizened!

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TEOTWAIKI For This Post:

Alekahn2 (13th February 2024), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Chip (29th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Ewan (14th February 2024), Mike (18th February 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019), Wansen (19th February 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 times in 731 posts

Quote Posted by bogdan9310 (here)
    Why does the body not absorb minerals from water?

https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wa...er-mineral.htm
    Do we receive our minerals from drinking water?
    Minerals are essential for the basic functions of the human body to take place. They help to control bone growth, regulate fluids, normalize nerve and muscle functions, keep up metabolism, grow connective tissues, and so much more.

However, a big misconception is that that we obtain enough minerals from our drinking water. This is actually not true because in reality, the main source of minerals is always from our food and diet, not from our drinking water. In order to receive enough minerals for our bodies, we would need to drink a full bathtub amount of water everyday, which is not very feasible. We are sure that your doctor will not prescribe you a "bathtub of water" if you are deficient in minerals, right?

Keep in mind that water contains only inorganic minerals which can actually be detrimental to human health. Our bodies have a hard time processing inorganic minerals and what we cannot absorb may be stored in our tissues and organs and eventually become toxic to the body. The primary culprits are calcium salts and over time they can cause gallstones, kidney stones, bone & joint calcification, arthritis, and hardening and blocking our arteries. Organ failure and cancer could also occur from long term exposure to certain types of toxic or radioactive minerals found in tap and natural spring water. Organic minerals which are abundant in food are much easier to absorb and preferred by our bodies because they do not contain toxic minerals.

Major minerals your body needs and where you can find them

Calcium – Essential for strong bones and teeth. Also plays an important role in the digestive system. Lack of calcium can lead to osteoporosis.
    •Almonds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts
    •Broccoli, kale, okra, spinach, watercress
    •Dried apricot and figs
    •Mackerel, oysters, salmon, sardines
    •Tofu, calcium-enriched soya cheeses and milks

Iron – Plays an essential role in the production of the body’s white blood cells and immune system.
    • Apricots, blackcurrants, figs, prunes, raisins, nuts
    • Beans, lentils, eggs
    • Broccoli, kale, peas, cabbage, spinach, watercress
    • Lean red meat, liver, kidney
    • Mackerel, oysters, sardines, tuna
    • Wholegrain cereals and whole meal bread
    Magnesium – Helps regulate potassium and sodium which control your blood pressure. Also helps absorb and breakdown vitamins and minerals.
    • Apricots, bananas, figs, prunes, raisins
    • Brown rice, granary bread, whole meal bread, whole wheat pasta, nuts
    • Green leafy vegetables, okra, parsnips, peas, sweet corn
    • Lean meat, milk, yogurt
    Zinc – An antioxidant and important for the maintenance of a healthy immune system
    • Brown rice and wholegrain breads
    • Cheese
    • Crab, lobster, mussels, oysters, sardines, duck, goose, kidney, lean red meat, turkey
    Also watch out for the water products which claims that they can take out ALL of the bad contaminants and leave you only the good stuff (healthy minerals) in the water. There is no real purification method that can be selective and leave you only the "good" stuff. When filters leave you the "good" stuff, they actually leave you "most" of the stuff in the water. "Most of the stuff" meaning besides calcium and magnesium, they also leave fluoride, arsenic, chromium, perchlorate, heavy metals, radioactive materials, bacteria, viruses, and pharmaceutical drugs. These are all harmful contaminants that can cause illness, cancer or death. In this era of pollution where water contains much more disease-causing contaminants than beneficial minerals, it makes sense that the water we drink should be as pure and clean as possible.
    So remember to eat healthy and enjoy a variety of vegetables and grains everyday which will provide you with the beneficial organic minerals to stay healthy the natural way.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Savannah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Ewan (14th February 2024), Spellbound (29th March 2019), toppy (23rd February 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member Bo Atkinson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,519 times in 831 posts

Thanks to everyone posting their experiences here.

Gradually prioritizing my nutrition study, primarily because information became available over radio for the first time in my rural location, (late 1980s), even after knowing a few things and finally realizing the effectiveness by testing added information, for my well being… I reluctantly started unusual, key foods which was the easiest way to get missing nutrients and this was cheaper, includding the purchase of some supplements.

I chose to study from a 70+ year old, yearly gold metal winning marathon athlete who was extremely fit, sentient and very informed, even somewhat about the craziness of the TPTHB, who shared scientifically based articles on nutrition research, from research journals, especially of plant based nutrition sources, which proved cheaper than buying meat centered nutrition, (even near the ocean). Regular listening to radio and later to mp3s let me carry on with my physical labor, to support life here, while learning endless details. I could never read books all day, so I loved this stream of information and especially recommend this method of learning all one can, as mp3s are portable.

My point is, starting from scratch, may better succeed, with a steady stream of information, which fits your life and, perhaps also, step up one’s physicality as a key feature.

While I am very grateful for learning all this for decades now, I recently took on a bigger picture study of life’s purpose and fulfillment outside of physical well being alone, (as with diet or supplements). This new study for me provides an extraordinary charge of energy and betterment, based on an additional kind of “self work”.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bo Atkinson For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Ewan (14th February 2024), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,678 times in 3,332 posts

Agape, great post. You have me thinking about lab tests and the variables. I tend to wonder how accurate blood tests for vitamin deficiency are. If you think about it logically, they are basing the results on how much of a vitamin is found in the blood. Nutrients become absorbed and utilized in the tissues. What if I took a mega dose of a vitamin a couple of hours before being tested? I suspect that would give a largely inaccurate level on the high side. Also, variables like absorption, synergy with other nutrients and binding come into play as well but would never be considered in our current health care system.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (18th February 2019), Ewan (14th February 2024), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

I am prescribed vitamin d and vitamin b. Both to support Hashimoto’s thyroiditis symptoms. It works.

What I am going to offer as advice to avoid is vitamin k at all cost. Why? Well for one? It thickens the blood- not good for most. I watched my brother in law suffer a horrible death in 2012. He was a complete maniac for vegetable juice ( think V8) and ate kale like it was the main staple in his diet. Healthy, right? No. It clogs the arteries. Please avoid it and most dark leafy greens. Romaine lettuce is a safe alternative.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (19th February 2019), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

One other thing that might be a bit off topic - soil degradation- commercially produced vegetables and meats are 1/10ththe nutritional value that they were a mere 70 years ago. This explains the obesity epidemic. People eating a greater volume of empty calories because they are starving on a cellular level. Allan Savory has the answer and it’s all about feeding the soil. I know we don’t like Ted talks here, but this truly is the answer for the starving earth and it’s undernourished and over fed dependants.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savo...change/up-next

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Baby Steps (19th February 2019), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), conk (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (19th February 2019), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019), TEOTWAIKI (20th February 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 times in 274 posts

My diet consists of - white jasmine rice (should be brown), beef, chicken, cod liver oil, citrus or pineapple, moomio / mumio / russian shilajit (full spectrum of trace minerals, weekly), broccoli carrots (occassionally). and Coffee + french butter (unfortunately coffee comes with heavy pesticide).

I'm in the pink of health due to this simple diet.

I would say out of this, the only "supplement" would be the moomio. I don't take Vitamin C.
    Last edited by spade; 19th February 2019 at 17:00.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Bubu (19th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (19th February 2019), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,522 times in 20,692 posts

Inside FDA’s Supplement Power Grab
    BY ANH-USA MARCH 28, 2019
    https://anh-usa.org/inside-fdas-supp...nt-power-grab/

"Just as we suspected, the FDA is coming after supplements once again. Action Alert!
    https://anh-usa.org/category/action-alerts/

Recently we told you about a statement made by Commissioner Scott Gottlieb (who has since resigned his post) concerning the FDA’s regulatory approach to dietary supplements. The statement was short on details but gave us cause for concern. Now it appears as if those fears were warranted: the FDA is attempting to create a mandatory list of all supplement products in the US. Such a list could be used to target certain supplements and remove them from store shelves, and we must oppose it.

This revelation comes as a result of the FDA’s release of its 2020 budget estimates. In that document, the FDA requests the authority to “strengthen” its implementation and enforcement of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) by requiring each supplement manufacturer to register all the products it makes, including all the ingredients of those products, with the agency. Note that an act of Congress would be necessary to grant the FDA the authority to create such a list.

As we stated previously, there’s nothing inherently wrong with such a requirement—our fear is that the FDA will use this list as a cudgel against the supplement industry. The danger is especially high with respect to the FDA’s “new supplement” guidance. This guidance, as we’ve discussed previously, seeks to impose drug-like pre-approval requirements on all “new supplements” that came to the market after 1994. As might be expected, the FDA’s proposed definition of what it considers a “new supplement” is extremely broad and could encompass most of the products currently on the market. A mandatory list of all supplements and ingredients could then be used to target and eliminate supplements that have not yet complied with the FDA’s over-reaching policy.

This isn’t the first time this has been tried. A mandatory registry was part of Sen. Dick Durbin’s (D-IL) legislation that, with your help, we beat back in 2013.

What is constantly obscured by the FDA and the politicians calling for more regulation is the overwhelming safety of dietary supplements: we’re more likely to die from getting struck by lightning than from taking a supplement. We question the priorities of an agency trying to increase regulation in the comparatively safe supplement sector when properly prescribed FDA-approved drugs cause 1.9 million hospitalizations and 128,000 deaths a year.

We must stop the FDA’s power grab in its tracks.

Action Alert! Write to Congress and the FDA, telling them that we do not need a mandatory list for the supplement industry. Please send your message immediately."
    https://anh-usa.org/category/action-alerts/
    Each breath a gift...

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (28th March 2019), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Ewan (14th February 2024), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (29th March 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,716 times in 2,660 posts

Finding it’s more difficult to get decent strength reliable supplements now, usually alternatives are as useless as a chocolate fireguard...!
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Ewan (14th February 2024), onawah (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (29th March 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,256 times in 1,040 posts

Every morning, when I wake up at 6:30am and feed/shoot the cats (one of my cats, Booger, is diabetic)….I take the following:

1 Sisu supreme multi-vitamin 50+ with added CoQ10 - https://www.sisu.com/our-products/su...ultivitamin-50

1 Sisu vitamin B12 – 1000 mcg - https://www.sisu.com/our-products/vi...ethylcobalamin

1 Sisu vitamin D (which is D3 according to their site) – 1000 iu - https://www.sisu.com/our-products/vitamin-d

1 Naka Glucosamine & chondroitin sulfate (sodium free) - https://villagevitaminstore.ca/produ...-chondr-125cap

Put it down with a couple spoonful’s of yogurt

An hour later, I buzz up my smoothie before walking out the door to work (spinach, beets, mixed berries, mixed nuts, 1 scoop of Vega Protein & Greens protein powder, and 1 scoop of Naka ProFlex joint relief powder, 1 scoop ground flax seeds, 1 scoop ground chia seeds…mixed with unsweetened almond milk)…and I sip on that during the day.

Usually skip lunch (nap in my Mazda)

Come home from work and nuke leftovers that I’ve cooked up from a roast or whatever the weekend before.

Overall, this is a LOT better than what I was doing for years and years….until my doctor put the fear of God into me about my sugar level and told me I was borderline diabetic (6.0 A1C level). That’s when I hopped on the smoothie train because I wasn’t eating anything in the mornings/afternoons…nothing until dinner…and no vitamins back then. So, the above is how I roll now…and I figure it’s gotta be doing some good for me. Love my Ninja (highly recommend the smoothies)!!

Dave - Toronto
    Last edited by Spellbound; 29th March 2019 at 02:23.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

avid (29th March 2019), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Ewan (14th February 2024), Mike (29th March 2019), palehorse (13th February 2024), Pam (29th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (29th March 2019)

29. Link to Post #35
    Japan Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hanna Kroeger taught that those people who have worms and parasites (which means most of us) should NOT take vitamins and minerals. It is more important to kill the worms and parasites first. These thieves steal our precious resources and thrive and multiply in astronomical numbers at our expense. They dump their feces, which is very toxic, inside our system and our poor body has to deal with it.

Hanna Kroeger always advocated deworming with wormwood and homeopathy, which I religiously follow.
    I take vitamin C when I feel I picked up some infection in a crowded subway, and vitamin A for my eyes when I'm too long on a computer and so on.

30. Link to Post #36
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,606 times in 21,525 posts

Quote Posted by Didgevillage (here)
    Hanna Kroeger taught that those people who have worms and parasites (which means most of us) should NOT take vitamins and minerals.
    I'd be quite surprised if a blanket NO vitamins or minerals prescription was a good idea, whether treating parasites or not. Rather, find and adapt a good parasite treatment protocol, and adapt (some more, some less, ...) one's nutrient intake to one's current needs and what works well with that treatment protocol.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Chip (29th March 2019), palehorse (13th February 2024), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019)

32. Link to Post #37
    Japan Unsubscribed
    Thanks

If you're loaded with worms and parasites, taking vitamins and minerals will make the situation worse. Kill the worms and parasites first, and only THEN, take the appropriate supplements. That's what the info is all about.

Let's say if a human body is a keg or bucket containing water and has a hole, which action will be smarter, constantly adding more water or fixing the hole?

Worms and parasites not only steal the expensive vitamins and minerals and multiply, but they excrete very toxic shi*t inside of you, causing all kinds of problems which doctors know sh*t about

33. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,522 times in 20,692 posts

I wouldn't nuke anything if I were you, Spellbound. Microwaves are bad news.
    Toaster ovens do quite well and are much healthier for you, though they take a little bit longer.
    Quote Posted by Spellbound (here)
    Come home from work and nuke leftovers that I’ve cooked up from a roast or whatever the weekend before.
    Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (13th February 2024), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), palehorse (13th February 2024), Pam (29th March 2019), Spellbound (29th March 2019), ThePythonicCow (29th March 2019)

35. Link to Post #39
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,687 times in 1,424 posts

Your Supplements Are a Lie… Really?
    (15:10)

0:00 Introduction: The supplement industry and the FDA
    3:33 L-tryptophan supplements (1989)
    6:15 Synthetic vitamin supplements
    8:10 How vitamins are made
    10:34 Do you need to take vitamins?
    14:55 Learn more about hidden maltodextrin!

In this video, we’re going to talk about vitamins and supplements. Sometimes, health supplements are discredited because they’re not regulated by the FDA the same way as pharmaceuticals, but it's important to understand the relationship between the FDA and pharmaceutical companies.

People often become employees of the FDA to secure a much higher-paying career at a pharmaceutical company. This plays a major role in the approval of drugs.

Many drugs are approved without enough evidence of safety. Overall, supplements are generally recognized as safe.

In 1989, a dozen people allegedly died from taking L-tryptophan. L-tryptophan is an amino acid that helps you sleep, has an anti-depressive factor, and curbs cravings. The problem arose from a contaminated batch of L-tryptophan that was made using genetically modified bacteria. There was a recall, and the FDA banned the supplement for 16 years.

Synthetic vitamins are much cheaper than natural vitamins but do not have the same effects on the body. Around ⅔ of vitamins come from raw materials made in China, all of which are synthetic industrially made compounds.

There are several reasons why we need vitamins and supplements and why some people need them more than others. The following factors will increase the need for vitamins and supplements:
    • Food is grown in poor soils or hydroponically
    • Genetics
    • Chronic inflammation
    • Frequent exercise
    • Seed oil consumption
    • Grain consumption
    • Veganism
    • Fasting

We have a very high need for some vitamins and minerals that require a large consumption of certain foods to achieve adequate intake. For example, you need 4700 mg of potassium each day.

Some deficiencies can be dangerous. Deficiencies in folate can mimic the same damage to your DNA as radiation.

Dr. Eric Berg DC Bio:
    Dr. Berg, age 58, is a chiropractor who specializes in Healthy Ketosis & Intermittent Fasting. He is the author of the best-selling book The Healthy Keto Plan, and is the Director of Dr. Berg Nutritionals. He no longer practices, but focuses on health education through social media.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable" (John F Kennedy - 13th March 1962)
    "The only winning move is not to play" (WarGames 1983)

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Alekahn2 (13th February 2024), avid (13th February 2024), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Ewan (14th February 2024), palehorse (13th February 2024)

37. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,540 times in 1,587 posts

Quote Posted by Miller (here)
    There are several reasons why we need vitamins and supplements and why some people need them more than others. The following factors will increase the need for vitamins and supplements:

• Food is grown in poor soils or hydroponically

We have a very high need for some vitamins and minerals that require a large consumption of certain foods to achieve adequate intake. For example, you need 4700 mg of potassium each day.

For the hydroponics you have to use a good nutrient formula from raw salts, something like NPK 5% would be a start, then add some Ca, Fe, K, Mg, S, Zn, B, Cu, Mo, Na, Mn and so on, there is many different grades, brands, some with more or less elements on it. I bought one from the local nursery and they formulate it themselves, really home made stuff sold in pet bottles of 2L A/B formulation, great for greens and flowers. The other option is DIY which I will try at some point if not too hard to get hold of raw salts here.

For K I am using "cream of tartar" on everything I prepare to eat, it is slightly acidic taste (like lemons), 2 tsp (5 or 6 grams) is about 1000 mg of potassium, I use once per day, also some bananas and dark green leaves, I believe I am getting about half of what you mentioned as required per day. Good warning about potassium, thanks.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Alekahn2 (13th February 2024), Bill Ryan (13th February 2024), Ewan (14th February 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2