+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Genetic Tracing your Heritage - Is submitting DNA Safe ?

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Genetic Tracing your Heritage - Is submitting DNA Safe ?

Advances in Genetic sequencing, computerized analysis for gene patterns has developed a new industry.

Here is how the ads get you to participate:

"TEST your DNA ! Find your ancestors, get your family tree, do you know what percentages of _____ or that _____ you are part of, are you a Native? Maybe you are related to Royalty !" and so forth..

There is a very dark side to doing that.

You are providing directly trace-able information, to many Agencies by simply getting a genetic testing kit and submitting your genetic data back for "analysis".

The DNA services have grown popular without most consumers realizing that their data could be used for purposes other than genealogy, such as forensics, said Benjamin Berkman, a bioethicist at the National Institutes of Health, who wrote about ethical issues of using genealogy data to solve crimes in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Not so long ago, serious concerns were raised about genetic research because of fears about potential discrimination by insurance companies and employers.

In 2009, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act outlawed discrimination on the basis of genetic information.

Discrimination?

Personal DNA tests are used to help predict genetic risk factors for health complications. 23andMe offers FDA-approved genetic risk reports for inherited breast cancer and colorectal cancer.

The results may allow customers to manage their own health, but can also lead to revelations that are surprising or alarming.

"We're encouraging companies to provide education to consumers about the risks and benefits and unintended consequences of the results," said John Verdi of the Future of Privacy Forum.

Reality check: Commercial DNA-testing services aren't specifically covered by federal privacy rules, such as HIPAA, because they aren't health providers or insurers. They can disclose to whomever they want to, often for a hefty profit. Think about that, you pay for the kit, they get the data, then sell that data at a profit to those who want to know who you are, who are your relatives.

At one point there was a movement to have ALL CHILDREN tested in schools too.

What would testing kids provide - trace-able data for future "crimes" in the minimum committed by the child, or when they grow up. Genetic information is present in saliva, in hair, of course in skin cells and blood. Forensics is able to obtain the slightest amount of data, and then compare against the data-bases who was present at a "crime scene".

Selling privacy
    • A firm called Helix acts like an "app store" platform that gives third-party software developers access to parts of customers' DNA data for apps and personalized services that consumers opt into separately. Helix has partnerships with around 25 companies. Fitness and wellness apps are among the most popular, said Elissa Levin, Helix's senior director of clinical affairs and policy.
    • Ancestry has worked with Google spinoff Calico to study human longevity.
    • It's not the first time genetic data has been used in cold cases. To catch the Golden State Killer last year, police detectives compared crime scene DNA against publicly available genetic data to identify the suspect.
    • Drugmakers also want access. Ancestry.com and 23andMe — the largest companies that, combined, have DNA data of 15 million users — both share anonymized genetic data with outside researchers and companies.
    • Last summer, 23andMe struck a drug-development deal with GlaxoSmithKline, and it's working on developing its own line of drug treatments.
    • FamilyTreeDNA came under fire for voluntarily giving the FBI routine access to its database of more than 1 million users' data, allowing agents to test DNA samples from crime scenes against customers' genetic information to look for family matches. FamilyTreeDNA apologized for not disclosing the agreement to consumers.

Bottom Line

100 million people may be part of commercial genetic databases within the next two years.

Amid controversies over internet companies' collection of personal data, millions are paying to hand over DNA samples to a largely unregulated industry.

It has been observed that law enforcement, employers or insurance companies could end up using that DNA information against people in the data-base. What is to stop that?

Why submit voluntarily tracking information on your genetics, your family, and your heritage?

ref:
    A list of Genetic Testing Companies - https://isogg.org/wiki/List_of_DNA_testing_companies
    • 23andMe (admixture, adoption, deep ancestry, genealogy) (health and trait reports also available in some countries)
    • 23mofang (admixture, deep ancestry, health and traits) A company catering for the Chinese market
    • 24 genetics (admixture, exome sequencing, health, paternity, pharmacogenetics, whole genome sequencing) A company catering for the Spanish market
    • African Ancestry (deep ancestry)
    • AncestrybyDNA (admixture, deep ancestry)
    • AncestryDNA, a subsidiary of Ancestry.com (admixture, adoption, genealogy)
    • Centrillion Biosciences (aka TribeCode) (admixture, deep ancestry)
    • Dante Labs (exome sequencing, health, whole genome sequencing) A test aimed at the European market
    • DNA Ancestry and Family Origin (FTDNA affiliate in the Middle East) (admixture, adoption, deep ancestry, full mtDNA sequencing, genealogy)
    • DNA Consultants (admixture, deep ancestry)
    • DNA Worldwide (formerly a FTDNA partner. See also Living DNA)
    • Family Tree DNA (admixture, adoption, deep ancestry, full mtDNA sequencing, genealogy, Y chromosome sequencing)
    • Full Genomes Corporation (whole genome sequencing, Y-chromosome sequencing)
    • Gene by Gene - the parent company of Family Tree DNA which now incorporates the companies previously known as DNA Traits, DNA DTC and DNA Findings (research, health, exome sequencing, whole genome sequencing)
    • Genebase (deep ancestry, genealogy)
    • Genera (FTDNA partner in Brazil for ancestry tests) - also performs tests for paternity, fetal gender detection, pharmacogenetics, nutrition and physical traits
    • GenoTek (admixture, genealogy, diet and fitness, family planning, health, talents and sports) A company catering for the Russian market
    • Genographic Project (admixture, deep ancestry)
    • Genos Research Inc (DTC whole exome sequencing; consumer focused healthcare big data spin out from Complete Genomics; Note: no genetic genealogy focus or tools)
    • Helix (exome sequencing) US supplier of the Genographic Project Geno 2.0 Next Generation test
    • iGENEA (FTDNA affiliate) (admixture, deep ancestry, genealogy)
    • Living DNA (admixture, deep ancestry) See also DNA Worldwide
    • MyHeritage DNA (admixture, genealogy)
    • Oxford Ancestors (deep ancestry)
    • Roots for Real (admixture, deep ancestry)
    • Sorenson Genomics (laboratory services)
    • Sure Genomics (whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
    • TribeCode See Centrillion Biosciences
    • Veritas Genetics (whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
    • WeGene (admixture, deep ancestry, health, sports, traits) A test tailored for the East Asian market
    • YSEQ (custom Y-SNPs, Y-STRs, SNP panels, whole genome sequencing)
    • Yoogene (deep ancestry - YSTRs and mtDNA) A company catering for the Chinese market

definition:
    Genetic ancestry tests exploit the findings of population genetics research to provide inferences about someone's genetic heritage and ethnicity.

The tests are also sometimes known as genetic heritage tests or DNA ancestry tests.

Genetic ancestry testing is generally distinct from the more rigorous discipline of genetic genealogy which combines a genealogical DNA test with genealogical and historical records.

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Genetic Tracing your Heritage - Is submitting DNA Safe ?

It seems to me it gets worse.. Submitting your DNA to Agencies for categorizing, data-tracking, movement tracking (and forensics) is a dangerous practice.

Why?

Well, it's called:

NEXT GENERATION BIOWEAPONS
    The Technology of Genetic Engineering, Applied to BioWarFare and Bio-Terrorism

and it was a report written by an USAF colonel, Mike Ainscough, presented at the Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Alabama - part of the Future Warfare Series, #14

the PDF here: https://fas.org/irp/threat/cbw/nextgen.pdf (if PDF is not viewable in the FORUM, download directly from the link for more data)

the PDF explores the BIO-ETHNIC-WEAPON

a weapon tailored to a specific gene code, to monopolize on weaknesses in the immune system, to manipulate, or turn on cancers, or heart attacks, or organ failures, and make it seem purely "natural". A way to take out or control or modify whole races, or groups of people..

This was in the works as early is 1989 when the technology was in its infancy.

In 1992, the spring, "Temple Fortune", a bio-plague program was off and running.. developed previous by the Soviets to evolve genetically engineered bacteria and viruses, to go after specific groups. A bug which would not attack those with a specific genetic sequence but would attack those without the "protective code".

Point being, there definitely is a sinister side to "providing" your genetic data to a third party with gene analysis skills.. Where it goes, how it is used is open to discussion...
    Last edited by Bob; 3rd March 2019 at 17:21.

3. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

I have always felt it was spooky to submit blood for DNA tests... those guys are obsessed with bloodlines... they could be searching for specific genetic types, developing bioweapons, anything.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bob (3rd March 2019), ceetee9 (4th March 2019), Constance (3rd March 2019), Nasu (4th March 2019), ramus (3rd March 2019), toppy (3rd March 2019), Valerie Villars (3rd March 2019), wondering (3rd March 2019)

5. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,212 times in 5,679 posts

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    I have always felt it was spooky to submit blood for DNA tests... those guys are obsessed with bloodlines... they could be searching for specific genetic types, developing bioweapons, anything.
    I think it's spooky too, but I did it anyway. I was drunk when I ordered the kit, and had no memory of ordering it until it arrived on my front doorstep a week later. It was a pleasant surprise. It felt like somebody had sent me a gift. Drunkenness has its merits sometimes.

So I drooled into a small vial they provided and sent it back; several weeks later they emailed me a crude pie chart detailing my genetic origins. My mother's maiden name is Featherstone, and my uncles all look like Magua from 'Last Of The Mohicans', so I was convinced I must be at least a little native american. But Featherstone is actually an English name, believe it or not, and most of my genetic background is English too(close to 40% if I recall correctly). The rest is mainly Irish and Scandinavian, and a scattering of this and that. My last name is distinctly German, but according to the pie chart I'm just a small fraction "western european".

No offense to the English or the Irish, but I was pretty disappointed. I was nearly certain there had to be some native blood in me. But no..

My ego was almost hoping I'd soon be recruited into the illuminatti, but it's been many years now, and I've heard nothing. Maybe my invitation got lost in the mail.
    Last edited by Mike; 4th March 2019 at 04:15.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bob (3rd March 2019), ceetee9 (4th March 2019), Chip (5th March 2019), Constance (3rd March 2019), Daozen (4th March 2019), DNA (3rd March 2019), enigma3 (3rd March 2019), Forest Denizen (6th March 2019), ramus (3rd March 2019), Sue (Ayt) (25th April 2021), toppy (3rd March 2019), Valerie Villars (3rd March 2019), wondering (3rd March 2019)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

I was drunk when I ordered the kit, and had no memory of ordering it until it arrived on my front doorstep a week later. ....... Drunkenness has its merits sometimes.
    Too bad you weren't drunk when you sent in that test. Because if you were, you would've wandered down the street and took a DNA sample from your neighbors dog. ......... "Drunkenness has it's merits sometimes".
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

meeradas (3rd March 2019), Mike (4th March 2019)

9. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Not too long ago the US decided that it was going to eradicate drug producing plants world-wide.

Plants like humans have specific genetic codes which make them unique; as humans have certain characteristics distinguishing ethnicity, there are certain factors allowing for boosted immune system response or decreased immune system response (even genetic conditions can exist allowing for pre-disposition of diseases).

So what did the US genetic manipulators do?

About a decade ago, the US designers increased their efforts to identify microorganisms that kill drug-producing crops; by the late 1990s, this research focused largely on two fungi.

They realized that the plants did not have an immunity to the invasion by the fungi. So they felt, these fungi could be used to attack the plants of choice.

The testing of one, Pleospora papaveracea, against opium poppy, was conducted in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, with financial and scientific support from the US research organizations, and was completed in 2001.

Pathogenic Fusarium oxysporum strains developed in the US to kill Coca plants were scheduled for field tests in Colombia in 2000, but international protests halted this project.

These fungi provide a very clear example of the hostile use of biological agents as weapons designed to go after a specific plant genetic code. The gene code differences between plants make for uniqueness, and in that uniqueness, if the specificity can fine tuned, just one species can be maligned or eradicated. In other words, the technology works, the refinement with for instance using CRISPR technology or Monsanto's GMO techniques are just steps away from doing such to humans and other animals.

In Colombia, the biggest areas of coca and opium poppy cultivation are in combat zones, and the 'War on Drugs' is part of the country's continuing armed conflict.

These biological agents are lowering the political threshold for the use of biological weapons and are likely to have tremendous environmental and health impacts.

The pursuit of crop-killing fungi as weapons would be a further slide down a slippery slope that, by following the same logic, could easily lead to the use of other plant pathogens, animal pathogens or even non-lethal biological weapons against humans (van Aken & Hammond, 2002). Or one could simply take it to fully lethal uses.

Don't give away your genes.

10. Link to Post #7
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

I think it's spooky too, but I did it anyway. I was drunk when I ordered the kit, and had no memory of ordering it until it arrived on my front doorstep a week later. It was a pleasant surprise. It felt like somebody had sent me a gift. Drunkenness has its merits sometimes.
    From that, you are most likely Irish.

I remember reading more than a few whispers that these things were scams. I think someone sent off DNA to 5 different companies. Can't remember if the results were the same, but accusations of fraud are rife, even with the huge companies. See Theranos. I could start one of those companies. I can write good copy. I wouldn't want to get my blood tested myself. I think I am 100% Celt, even though I was born in London.

I completely understand how people want to know about their past... but over-focusing on our physical lineage discounts spiritual/etheric ancestry, which is ultimately more fundamental.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Mike (4th March 2019)

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

I remember reading more than a few whispers that these things were scams. I think someone sent off DNA to 5 different companies. Can't remember if the results were the same, but accusations of fraud are rife, even with the huge companies. See Theranos. I could start one of those companies. I can write good copy. I wouldn't want to get my blood tested myself. I think I am 100% Celt, even though I was born in London.

I completely understand how people want to know about their past... but over-focusing on our physical lineage discounts spiritual/etheric ancestry, which is ultimately more fundamental.
    I wonder what would happen if I sent my blood with an American address and a Latino or vietnamese name? I bet I would have no French blood anymore.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bob (4th March 2019), Mike (4th March 2019)

14. Link to Post #9
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,970 times in 1,706 posts

This is an interesting topic.
    How do we even know what happens to the blood we give at hospitals for blood tests?
    I mean after the regular blood testing. Who knows if they send it on to a secondary facility for databasing?

Personally I would never give blood for a DNA/ancestry test.

But you know what. As the number of fools increase from 100 million to 500 million+ we will be told and sold
    that this is the safe/smart thing to do, remember terrorism?
    The next thing you know it will be compulsory for all the general public.

Heck how are you going to stop them from taking blood samples at birth?
    Please tell me?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Bob (4th March 2019), Chanlo23 (12th March 2019), Mike (4th March 2019), Sue (Ayt) (25th April 2021)

16. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,212 times in 5,679 posts

it wouldn't surprise me if it was, lets just say, a bit dishonest. it did occur to me to try a different company for verification, but as of yet i haven't found the motivation to part with another 100 bucks (i went with ancestry.com, and as i recall it was $100)

but yeah, i totally get all your concerns.

for what it's worth, i didn't send in any blood, i sent in saliva.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Valerie Villars (4th March 2019)

18. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 18:40.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

gord (25th April 2021), Harmony (25th April 2021), Hym (25th April 2021), Mike (25th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (25th April 2021), Tintin (25th April 2021)

+ Reply to Thread