+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Wikipedia and the Abuse of Truth

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

Default Wikipedia and the Abuse of Truth

I've been engaged in a wikipedia edit war for a few days now. I was about to give up this time, since the shills seem to have no end in sight to their intellectual dishonesty. The wiki I am editing is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect

I keep editing the conspiracy theory section. This is the section I'm editing(my edit in bold):
    Quote Numerous individuals(according to mainstream health sources) suffering from auditory hallucinations, delusional disorders[9] or other mental illness have claimed that government agents use microwave signals to transmit sounds and thoughts into their heads as a form of electronic harassment, referring to the technology as "voice to skull" or "V2K".[10] There are extensive online support networks and numerous websites maintained by people fearing mind control. California psychiatrist Alan Drucker has identified evidence of delusional disorders on many of these websites[9] and other psychologists are divided over whether such sites negatively reinforce mental troubles or act as a form of group cognitive therapy.[11]
    I am looking for a source that reports a court case by John St.Clair Akwei VS the NSA. He reported microwave hearing(electronic telepathy), and won his court case in I believe 1992. This would be a big thing for that page. However I can only find a bunch of fringe sites with any info on it. It seems all the "official" sources stay away from news like this. Perhaps it is societal engineering by TPTB, to(one reason) make sure wikipedia remains firmly on the side of the establishment.

If anyone has an official source for the John St.Clair Akwei case, please do post it. Although I would bet it gets deleted from the wiki page if I do find an official source... That is how rabid these shills are. I make the edit and within 12 hours it is edited back by the rabid pack of shills. I have had my first bout of anger/rage for years from this. I guess I should be happy the wiki page is allowed to exist at all. I guess I am learning first hand what I heard a long time ago, that wikipedia is totally controlled, minus things they just can't deny.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (20th October 2014), Agape (19th October 2014), annacherie (19th October 2014), Atlas (19th October 2014), betoobig (19th October 2014), Ewan (4th April 2023), Hervé (19th October 2014), Matthew (4th August 2023), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Default Re: Wikipedia and the Abuse of Truth

Editor’s Note:

I tried ringing Mr Akwei to find out what was the out-come, if any, of his court case. He firmly but kindly told me that he could not speak about anything to do with the case over the phone and hung up. A subsequent conversation of similar length resulted in the information that he did not wish his address or phone number published with this article. So, if we hear of any developments, we’ll let you know.

Quote Posted by Jim, September 5, 2011

[...] The lawsuit filed by John St. Clair Akwei against the National Security Agency in 1992 was quickly disimissed by then Judge Stanley Sporkin, in efforts to prevent a jury from learning about the NSA’s domestic spy operations.

Sporkin was a very corrupt judge who as a former general counsel to the CIA has a history of perverting the criminal justice system in the United States in order to conceal treasonous crimes that the U.S. Intelligence community is perpetrating against the American people.

Now retired from the bench Sporkin is involved with the payouts being made by British Petroleum to the victims of its recent oil spill. In reality, stonewalling these payouts is a better illustration of what Sporkin is being used for. [...]
    Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20111215...ns-of-the-u-s/

----------------------------------------

Related thread: projectavalon.net/National-Security-Agency-NSA-Covert-operations-of-the-U.S.
    Last edited by Atlas; 19th October 2014 at 13:12.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Hervé (19th October 2014), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Omni (19th October 2014), Queen Aoife (22nd August 2022), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

Quote Posted by buares (here)
    Editor’s Note:

I tried ringing Mr Akwei to find out what was the out-come, if any, of his court case. He firmly but kindly told me that he could not speak about anything to do with the case over the phone and hung up. A subsequent conversation of similar length resulted in the information that he did not wish his address or phone number published with this article. So, if we hear of any developments, we’ll let you know.

Quote Posted by Jim, September 5, 2011

The NSA’s Signals Intelligence EMF Scanning Network has been used to secretly brain fingerprint the United States population. The lawsuit filed by John St. Clair Akwei against the National Security Agency in 1992 was quickly disimissed by then Judge Stanley Sporkin, in efforts to prevent a jury from learning about the NSA’s domestic spy operations.

Sporkin was a very corrupt judge who as a former general counsel to the CIA has a history of perverting the criminal justice system in the United States in order to conceal treasonous crimes that the U.S. Intelligence community is perpetrating against the American people.

Now retired from the bench Sporkin is involved with the payouts being made by British Petroleum to the victims of its recent oil spill. In reality, stonewalling these payouts is a better illustration of what Sporkin is being used for. [...]
    Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20111215...ns-of-the-u-s/

----------------------------------------

Related thread: projectavalon.net/National-Security-Agency-NSA-Covert-operations-of-the-U.S.
    Thanks buares. Odd there would be so many articles about him winning his case if he lost it. I guess I was wrong about that bit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Atlas (19th October 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Last edited by Atlas; 19th October 2014 at 13:42.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Hervé (19th October 2014), Krist (19th October 2014), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Omni (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Hervé (19th October 2014), Krist (19th October 2014), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Hervé (19th October 2014), Krist (19th October 2014), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

John Akwei on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JohnAkwei/

And on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/john.akwei.1

Quote Posted by John Akwei. Oct 3, 2014

Thanks, +Author Renee Pittman M.:

In 1991, I visited over 20 libraries in the Washington DC area in order to investigate ESB, and often encountered the research of Jose Delgado:
    http://io9.com/5871598/the-scientist...io-frequencies

Also, Robert G. Heath's research into psychological control of society is very interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Galbraith_Heath

Source: https://plus.google.com/100282149721455636558/posts
    Last edited by Atlas; 19th October 2014 at 14:21.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Hervé (19th October 2014), Krist (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

annacherie (19th October 2014), Hervé (19th October 2014), Krist (19th October 2014), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Sidney (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Hi Omni!

Did you check if Dr. Robert Duncan's research and publications/books are "respectable" and "reputable" enough for Wikipedia's acceptance criteria?
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (19th October 2014), Omni (19th October 2014), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Yes, wiki is controlled and reverses any 'forward thinking' additions into things that tow the party line.

I tried to edit their alchemy section once or twice, to include modern data on it's connection to nanotechnology and how alchemy is actually achieved, etc. It was changed in less than a day back to calling alchemists 'confused nutcases'.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

annacherie (19th October 2014), Atlas (19th October 2014), Hervé (19th October 2014), Mercedes (19th October 2014), Omni (19th October 2014), s7e6e (4th April 2023), Sophocles (19th October 2014)

21. Link to Post #11
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,488 times in 1,724 posts

The brilliance of Wikipedia is that:

a) it’s free slogan ''The Free Encyclopedia''

b) the editing is supposed to be done by dispassionate volunteers, so the content is presumably neutral and trustworthy.

Because Wikipedia is such a great, quick, incredibly accessible source for the world, much is at stake for the companies, products, and people catalogued on the site, which has nearly 5 million articles in English and millions more in dozens of other languages.

And sometimes, as an investigation by The Atlantic reports, those with interests in how they’re described on Wikipedia resort to paying freelance writers, PR firms, and assorted Wikipedia experts to make adjustments to the site. For example, there are celebrities and politicians who would prefer that scandals they have been tied to would disappear, or at least be toned down in Wikipedia entries. Businesses understandably want to have their products and services painted in the best light too.

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...or-pay/393926/

I never use Wikipedia for anything but the most mundane, noncontroversial, fact based searches, like how far is Mars from the Sun or how to calculate the volume of a cone. Anything with the slightest bit of controversy that goes against the Official Narratives I assume has been doctored. That's just the way it is. It is open source censorship.

Gaia
    Last edited by Gaia; 13th August 2015 at 14:06.

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Gaia For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (14th August 2015), Aurelius (13th August 2015), betoobig (13th August 2015), Carmody (14th August 2015), Cjay (14th August 2015), Hervé (13th August 2015), joeecho (13th August 2015), loveoflife (13th August 2015), Matthew (13th August 2015), Nasu (14th August 2015), Rex (13th August 2015), Rollo (13th August 2015), s7e6e (4th April 2023), Sophocles (14th August 2015)

23. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 times in 300 posts

I have some first hand limited experience with the heavy handed wiki "editors". I had tried to correct some facts on Lloyd Pye's wiki and never got them to stick. They kept reverting them back with one excuse or another. If I remember correctly, they wanted references and I believe I gave them, but they were never good enough. Other fans of Lloyd had tried unsuccessfully as well.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rex For This Post:

betoobig (13th August 2015), Gaia (13th August 2015), Matthew (13th August 2015), Nasu (14th August 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (13th August 2015), Selkie (13th August 2015)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,729 times in 1,343 posts

Quote Posted by deadfoot (here)
    I have some first hand limited experience with the heavy handed wiki "editors". I had tried to correct some facts on Lloyd Pye's wiki and never got them to stick. They kept reverting them back with one excuse or another. If I remember correctly, they wanted references and I believe I gave them, but they were never good enough. Other fans of Lloyd had tried unsuccessfully as well.
    I have had a similar experience with them, too! Wikipedia, from my own observation, is controlled by "the establishment"; it is no longer credible. You can especially see this when it comes to "alternative" health therapies vis-a-vis government/Big Pharma propaganda.

I wonder if this is evidence of or a result of what people like Bill Clinton said regarding there needs to be "fact checking" on the internet. Of course, one can simply substitute the word "propaganda" for "fact checking".

TLC
    Last edited by TrumanCash; 13th August 2015 at 16:07.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TrumanCash For This Post:

Gaia (13th August 2015), Icare (4th April 2023), joeecho (13th August 2015), loveoflife (13th August 2015), Nasu (14th August 2015), Ron Mauer Sr (13th August 2015), seko (13th August 2015)

27. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,488 times in 1,724 posts

There's no question Google and Wikipedia have some sort of arrangement. Doesn't matter what topic you search for with Google Wikipedia is almost always number 1 in search results. Coincidence? Hardly!

Wikipedia is a bogus source of information. There's nothing grass roots about them at all. The line they give you about their users being able to edit the thing is utterly false. Wikipedia is here to uphold and reinforce the governement/corporate media narrative on any and all events/issues that may threaten the Powers That Be should the alternative view get traction eg Vaccines, Fluoride, Alternative médicine ''Homeopathy is a pseudoscience according to Wikipedia'' 9/11 etc.

Any attempts to edit the thing for a bit of balance eg include the non governement/corporate media version of events in their entries are immediately crushed.
    Last edited by Gaia; 13th August 2015 at 17:13.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaia For This Post:

Cjay (14th August 2015), joeecho (13th August 2015), loveoflife (13th August 2015), Nasu (14th August 2015)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,405 times in 1,148 posts

It is obvious to many that Wikipedia is heavily manipulated by people who don't want truth to be known.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Cjay For This Post:

Carmody (14th August 2015)

31. Link to Post #16
    Ecuador Avalon Member boolacalaca's Avatar
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	fake info.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	38402

It's quite amazing - even as evidence piles up that Wikipedia has become a raging information battleground of competing agendas, memes, PR-bots, and magicians of manufactured reality - a true "fake information" compatriot to fake news - more people rely on it, more professionals default to it, and more social networking behemoths plug into it. Has critical thinking become so lazy as to surrender to WikiSpin? What do you think?

Who Is Philip Cross?
    "Philip Cross" has not had one single day off from editing Wikipedia in almost five years. "He" has edited every single day from 29 August 2013 to 14 May 2018. Including five Christmas Days. That's 1,721 consecutive days of editing. 133,612 edits to Wikpedia have been made in the name of “Philip Cross” over 14 years. That’s over 30 edits per day, seven days a week. And I do not use that figuratively: Wikipedia edits are timed, and if you plot them, the timecard for “Philip Cross’s” Wikipedia activity is astonishing if it is one individual. - Craig Murray

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...-cross-affair/

Artificial intelligence service “ORES” gives Wikipedians X-ray specs to see through bad edits
    Today, we’re announcing the release of a new artificial intelligence service designed to improve the way editors maintain the quality of Wikipedia. This service empowers Wikipedia editors by helping them discover damaging edits and can be used to immediately “score” the quality of any Wikipedia article. We’ve made this artificial intelligence available as an open web service that anyone can use.

Wikipedia is edited about half a million times per day. In order to maintain the quality of Wikipedia, this firehose of new content needs to be constantly reviewed by Wikipedians. The Objective Revision Evaluation Service (ORES) functions like a pair of X-ray specs, the toy hyped in novelty shops and the back of comic books—but these specs actually work to highlight potentially damaging edits for editors. This allows editors to triage them from the torrent of new edits and review them with increased scrutiny.

ORES is not the first AI to be designed to help Wikipedians to do better quality control work. English Wikipedians have long had automated tools (like Huggle and STiki ) and bots (like ClueBot NG) based on damage-detection AI to reduce their quality control workload.

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/11/3...e-x-ray-specs/

Seeing Corporate Fingerprints in Wikipedia Edits
    Since Wired News first wrote about WikiScanner last week, Internet users have spotted plenty of interesting changes to Wikipedia by people at nonprofit groups and government entities like the Central Intelligence Agency. Many of the most obviously self-interested edits have come from corporate networks.

Last year, someone at PepsiCo deleted several paragraphs of the Pepsi entry that focused on its detrimental health effects. In 2005, someone using a computer at Diebold deleted paragraphs that criticized the company’s electronic voting machines. That same year, someone inside Wal-Mart Stores changed an entry about employee compensation...In 2004, someone using a computer at ExxonMobil made substantial changes to a description of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska, playing down its impact on the area’s wildlife and casting a positive light on compensation payments the company had made to victims of the spill...And The New York Times Company is among those whose employees have made, among hundreds of innocuous changes, a handful of questionable edits. A change to the page on President Bush, for instance, repeated the word “jerk” 12 times. And in the entry for Condoleezza Rice, the secretary of state, the word “pianist” was changed to “penis.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/t...wikipedia.html

CIA and Vatican edit Wikipedia entries
    A US hacker's homemade program to pinpoint origins of Wikipedia edits indicates that alterations to the popular online encyclopedia have come from the CIA and the Vatican. Virgil Griffith's "Wikiscanner" points to Central Intelligence Agency computers as the sources of nearly 300 edits to subjects including Iran's president, the Argentine navy, and China's nuclear arsenal.

Wikiscanner's roster indicates a Vatican computer was used to remove references to evidence linking Ireland's Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams to a decades-old double murder.

Someone at the US Democratic Party's Congressional campaign committee changed a description of conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh to replace "comedian" with "bigot" and dub his listeners "legally retarded."

A Republican Party computer purportedly was used after the US invasion of Iraq to change "occupying forces" to "liberating forces" in a Baath Party entry. A United Nations computer is identified as the source of an edit that calls a respected Italian journalist a promiscuous racist. Someone using a US Senate computer altered a profile of veteran White House reporter Helen Thomas to complain she "interrupts" and is annoying. An edit traced by Wikiscanner to the BBC changes causes of former prime minister Tony Blair's heart palpitations from strong coffee and vigorous gym workouts to vodka and exertion in a bedroom. Wikiscanner also identified a BBC computer as being used to change US president George W. Bush's middle name from "Walker" to "Wanker" at Wikipedia. A computer belonging to Reuters news service is listed as adding "mass murderer" to a Wikipedia description of Bush. Griffith said it appears common for political figures to "whitewash" entries by replacing negative adjectives with flattering ones and that corporations seem inclined to insert criticism of competitors.

https://www.smh.com.au/news/Technolo...857828993.html

A lie about Mike Pompeo's Gulf War service started with an anonymous Wikipedia edit
    US Central Intelligence Agency director and Army veteran Mike Pompeo never served in the Gulf War. But that's not what prominent members of the US Congress and major media outlets have said in articles and in public statements in recent months. Pompeo was never deployed there, the CIA says. The fake claim seems to have first appeared in public in a Wikipedia biography of Pompeo, which was changed anonymously in December 2016. Pompeo has never repeated it himself, but he and the CIA have never corrected the prominent error...The user who made the changes on Wikipedia made them from a mobile phone, the site's history shows. Because phone IPs can change as users move between locations, it's impossible to know if the user had made other edits previously or since.

https://qz.com/1258418/mike-pompeos-...-on-wikipedia/

The Covert World of People Trying to Edit Wikipedia - for Pay
    Even minor changes in wording have the potential to influence public perception and, naturally, how millions of dollars are spent. What this means for marketers is that Wikipedia is yet another place to establish an online presence. But what this means for Wikipedia is much more complicated: how can a site run by volunteers inoculate itself against well-funded PR efforts? And how can those volunteers distinguish between information that's trustworthy and information that's suspect?

...the way people answer their everyday questions today means that a lot of research does end on Wikipedia. The site's pages are regularly among the top links that search engines turn up - among the general public, the site's medical articles are estimated to have a larger readership than WebMD. Google has even started embedding excerpts from Wikipedia pages alongside its search results. Wikipedia isn't just the final destination of typical denizens of the Internet; sometimes it's where professional researchers end up as well. Fifty to 70 percent of physicians have been found to consult it as a source of medical information...

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...or-pay/393926/

Wikipedia Co-Founder Blasts "Appallingly Biased" Wikipedia Entry on Intelligent Design
    "As the originator of and the first person to elaborate Wikipedia's neutrality policy, and as an agnostic who believes intelligent design to be completely wrong, I just have to say that this article is appallingly biased. It simply cannot be defended as neutral. If you want to understand why, read this. I'm not here to argue the point, as I completely despair of persuading Wikipedians of the error of their ways. I'm just officially registering my protest." - Larry Sanger

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/12/wi...lingly-biased/

Study reveals bot-on-bot editing wars raging on Wikipedia's pages
    Over time, the encyclopedia's software robots can become locked in combat, undoing each other's edits and changing links, say researchers.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ting-war-study

Wikipedia: Our New Technological McCarthyism, Part 1
    Today, the internet, often thought of as our world's "final frontier" for free thinkers and the flow and exchange of ideas and information, is seriously ill. It has been systemically infected by ideological viruses, memes of information intent on poisoning freedom of expression that we take for granted every time we use Google or visit Facebook, Youtube and now the online encyclopedia Wikipedia. Censorship is not limited to the governments' attempts to silence dissent. Yet when it succeeds, society is greatly hindered because people no longer have easy access to the whole truth. Censorship is one of the most effective ways to lessen people's freedoms and numb the faculties for critical thought. And because the media, and having access to news and a wide variety of interpretations and opinions is at our finger tips, it has become a critical part of our daily lives.

A censored society is an uneducated society. It destroys progress and can even destroy careers, reputations and personal lives. Over the years we have witnessed a slow and emerging awakening to the falsehoods behind government and corporate interests. The internet and its technologies have been largely responsible for this gradual awakening, evidenced by thegrowing distrust and suspicion towards an oligarchy wishing to control what and what we cannot view and read. This suspicion is healthy even if it means that many find themselves increasingly confused. Yet this sense of freedom, the allowance to be dubious about fake news and manicured knowledge being fed to us is fragile, and even in peril.

In effect, the subconscious script behind Facebook, Google and other multinational internet media is designed to convert our lives into commodities, and then convert commodities into dead money. Lanier would consider this to be a severe threat to our species. "We cannot have a society," Lanier said during a TED talk, "if two people wish to communicate with each other and the only way it can happen is if it is financed by a third party who wishes to manipulate them."

In 1954, the late great French sociologist, philosopher and Christian anarchist Jacques Ellul foresaw that every form of technology would end up becoming a form of control, power and a means to achieve efficiency.

In his blog "Wikipedia We Have a Problem" Viharo describes the immensity of the problem:"There is a disturbing pattern of behaviors evolving across Wikipedia – a number of skeptic activists on Wikipedia believe that only they are qualified to edit a large swath of topics and biographies on Wikipedia, and they seek to purge other editors from those articles or Wikipedia itself. Skeptic activists take this very seriously and treat Wikipedia like a battleground for their activism, where online harassment, slander, bullying, character assassination, and public shaming are all used as tactics to control editing permissions on the world’s largest repository of knowledge."

http://www.vaxchoicevt.com/2018/05/0...thyism-part-1/

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to boolacalaca For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st July 2018), christian (2nd July 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st July 2018), Hervé (1st July 2018), Ioneo (1st July 2018), Johan (Keyholder) (1st July 2018), spade (1st July 2018), Tintin (2nd July 2018), toppy (2nd July 2018), uzn (1st July 2018)

33. Link to Post #17
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

Needs a name change to NWOpedia

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st July 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st July 2018), Icare (4th April 2023)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

Yes. Thanks, Michael... this is important.

See also these threads:
    Richard Dolan posted his excellent interview with abduction researcher Kathleen Marden this last week (see this post), and described Wikipedia as 'pernicious'.

Richard rightly expresses his disgust at Wikipedia's dishonest policy of smear and ridicule in the face of rigorous, serious research and solid, scientific data (including a ton of 100% authentic FOIA documents showing how very seriously the US military has always taken the subject). The little extract, specifically about Canadian scientist Wilbert Smith, is in the audio from 1:45:13—1:46:40.

Pernicious is the perfect word. We should really use it much more often.

Richard says:
    Wikipedia is pernicious when it comes to UFOs. It's absolutely unconscionable how the editors of that website think that they can simply trash the entire UFO subject, and they do at every single opportunity. It's so hamfisted and obvious. I often ask myself, have they no shame whatsoever, like they are just so blatant in how they treat the UFO subject, in every facet of Wikipedia. And yes, they treat Wilbert Smith just terribly.

But they do that with everybody. Everyone associated with the UFO field gets the hardcore... it's not even the skeptic treatment, it's the debunker treatment, that you would expect out of Philip J. Klass's playbook. Smear, don't deal with the facts, just smear the opponent. And that's what they do.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Blacklight43 (1st July 2018), boolacalaca (1st July 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st July 2018), Icare (4th April 2023), Tintin (2nd July 2018)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,016 times in 8,167 posts

Wikipedia should stay out of science and all things arguable.

It should stick to being a listing service.

It's great for finding song titles etc.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st July 2018), boolacalaca (1st July 2018), dynamo (1st July 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st July 2018), Tintin (2nd July 2018)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

I am starting this thread to document examples of abuse on Wikipedia by fundamentalist “skeptical” zealots. Since Wikipedia only shows account names for the people who edit, it is impossible to know exactly who is doing this work, and one can only speculate about what their mind-set is and what intentions they have. I am assuming that most of these people are well intentioned but have such strong biases about what truth is and what disregard what is “encyclopedic” and put their dogmatic agenda first behind reason and fairness first.

Some examples of this type of abuse.
    • Overuse of the word “pseudo”, “so-called” and other inappropriate and derogatory terms applied to topics and people only because it offends their “science” based belief-system and their inability to reconcile evidence and information from their fundamentalist beliefs.

• Automatic deletion of researched information because it does not come from “reliable” authorities. (Meanwhile anything stated by magician James Randi is treated as gospel truth. There are approximately 900 links to his page as of this writing.)

• Character assassination of researchers that have nothing to do with the topic at hand or factual reality.

• An unwillingness to accept information that is ambiguous or contradicts official and academic explanations.
    Wikipedia is “the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit” and I do not doubt that there are frequent incidents of people erasing well researched information and replacing it with their own personal epiphany they may have had after ingested mind altering substances, or that there are those who views are absolutist and narrow and feel entitled to broadcast there unique ideas and delete those they disagree with, when in fact an encyclopedia is supposed to be a reflection of the entire intellectual work of humanity.

The problem on Wikipedia is that one school of thought has been given the power to proclaim their superiority over the other, and proclaim their disdain for many hard working researchers in fields such as parapsychology, archeology, ufology, conspiracy, alternative healing, etc.

40. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Baby Steps (20th March 2019), Bill Ryan (20th March 2019), boja (20th March 2019), christian (21st March 2019), ExomatrixTV (20th March 2019), Fellow Aspirant (20th March 2019), Gaia (21st March 2019), happyuk (20th March 2019), Iancorgi (20th March 2019), Icare (4th April 2023), Intranuclear (20th March 2019), Ioneo (21st March 2019), jcking (20th March 2019), JRS (22nd March 2019), justntime2learn (21st March 2019), Kristin (20th March 2019), Nasu (20th March 2019), Olaf (20th March 2019), Pam (22nd March 2019), Rawhide68 (24th March 2019), skogvokter (20th March 2019), Slorri (22nd March 2019), Tintin (20th March 2019), Valerie Villars (20th March 2019), Wmel (20th March 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast