+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Inner peace in a modern world (How to have)

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Default Inner peace in a modern world (How to have)

ffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 06:53.

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

AriG (28th April 2019), Ascension (28th April 2019), Bill Ryan (27th April 2019), Billy (28th April 2019), Chip (27th April 2019), Clear Light (27th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (27th April 2019), greybeard (27th April 2019), Hervé (27th April 2019), Inaiá (8th May 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), jebrenham (27th April 2019), johnf (1st May 2019), liderr (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (27th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (27th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), Sophocles (28th April 2019), Star Tsar (27th April 2019), thepainterdoug (29th April 2019), Valerie Villars (27th April 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), wnlight (27th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Default Re: Inner peace in a modern world

With practise disassociation becomes virtually a permanent state.
    Time has to be spent on spiritual teaching.
    "Events happen
    deeds are done
    but there is no doer there off."
    Situations happen--potential arises but logic will say that people are affected differently by the same event.
    Frustration may arise, even anger but I dont have to own it, act upon it
    Its just a natural phenomena.
    Eckhart Tolle in the book "The Power of Now" gives a helpful illustration on the "Pain Body" and how to transcend it.
    The book is well worth a read.
    So yes its possible to be in a relaxed peaceful state no matter what, just takes practise.
    Every time there is a "situation" its an opportunity to practise disassociation till it becomes second nature then there is choice.
    A good question is "Am I really being affected by what is happening or is it mind stuff?" --the small stuff.
    Its an ego thing--frustrated at the others actions-- of course the superior I would not have done that--im different.
    Ego is basically a separation device.
    Which is why spiritual teaching is about transcending ego.
    But that's another subject --smiling.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (27th April 2019), chrysocolla (1st May 2019), Clear Light (27th April 2019), Constance (27th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (27th April 2019), Inaiá (8th May 2019), Ioneo (27th April 2019), johnf (1st May 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (27th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (27th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), sllim11 (29th April 2019), Sophocles (28th April 2019), Star Tsar (27th April 2019), Valerie Villars (27th April 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), wnlight (27th April 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Quote Posted by Constance (here)
    It seems to be a part of the human condition that we can only experience fleeting moments of inner peace. The moment that something external happens to interrupt that state, those peaceful feelings evaporate in an instant.

For example, you are driving along in your car, feeling a wonderful state of inner peace until someone runs a red light in front of you, and poof! That peaceful feeling has gone.

What do you think happens to you in the moment that you lose that inner peace?

What immediate and practical steps do you take to bring yourself back into a state of inner peace?

How do you maintain inner peace once you have it? What practical steps do you take to maintain it?

Do you think it is truly possible to experience a state of permanent internal peace in this modern world we inhabit?
    Oh, now I don't wish to appear as being somewhat antagonistic towards your propositions, but perhaps it would be helpful to define what you mean by "Peace" ?

Because, I'd say that coming to a permanent state of "Peace" is probably very unrealistic (unless one were to live in a Monastery), and that what is more likely (or possible) is getting used to a "state of flow" eh ?

Don't depend on your mind to give the answers, don't depend on mind's content but rather be the Awareness in which mind comes and goes ... in this way, I'd suggest by experiencing a kind of Equanimity towards all-states-of-mind you'll gradually over time (or maybe even suddenly) lose interest in the so-called "Monkey Mind" (or experience a sort of "falling away") and your "real nature" will come-to-the-fore "outshining" the illusion of worldly permanence "we" were all taught as being the one and only "Reality" !!!

Just saying
    Last edited by Clear Light; 27th April 2019 at 11:57. Reason: we ---> "we"

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (27th April 2019), Constance (27th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (27th April 2019), greybeard (27th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), johnf (1st May 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (27th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (27th April 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), wnlight (27th April 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

One of the most productive steps I have taken toward inner peace is letting go of my need to want to control outcomes. If I am able to mindfully act in the things that I do and then just let the outcomes happen I reduce anxiety and live in acceptance which is a core ingredient for inner peace.

I love what greybeard says about practicing these techniques. It is actually possible to learn how to have inner peace. It really does require participation, it is a learned skill for the most part. It took me a lot of suffering and anxiety before I began to figure this out. Also, Clear Light offers a great tip as well, in maintaining equanimity towards all states of mind. I would add that having equanimity towards all circumstances that occur is beneficial. If a circumstance needs changing and you can do something about it than do it, otherwise accept it.

8. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (27th April 2019), chrysocolla (22nd July 2019), Clear Light (27th April 2019), Constance (27th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (27th April 2019), greybeard (27th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (27th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), Valerie Villars (28th April 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 06:53.

10. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

AriG (28th April 2019), Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Clear Light (28th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), graciousb (26th July 2019), greybeard (28th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (28th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), Valerie Villars (28th April 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Forest Denizen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 times in 450 posts

It seems to be a part of the human condition that we can only experience fleeting moments of inner peace… What do you think happens to you in the moment that you lose that inner peace? What immediate and practical steps do you take to bring yourself back into a state of inner peace? How do you maintain inner peace once you have it? What practical steps do you take to maintain it? Do you think it is truly possible to experience a state of permanent internal peace in this modern world we inhabit?
    Ah, yes, the eternal yearning and search for inner peace. These are all very good and important questions you ask, Constance, and I suspect there are many of us who ask these same questions. And yes, I have experienced fleeting moments of complete serenity and I even experienced a stretch of several months during which I effortlessly remained in that state of beingness. But it eventually dissipated.

I will first describe what “it” is for me and then how I return to “it.” The state of inner peace for me is one of complete immersion and engagement in “the now.” For me, the only detachment I feel, is an independence from my “thoughts,” or “inner chatter.” I think Clear Light describes this well:

Quote Posted by Clear Light (here)
    Don't depend on your mind to give the answers, don't depend on mind's content but rather be the Awareness in which mind comes and goes ... in this way, I'd suggest by experiencing a kind of Equanimity towards all-states-of-mind you'll gradually over time (or maybe even suddenly) lose interest in the so-called "Monkey Mind" (or experience a sort of "falling away") and your "real nature" will come-to-the-fore "outshining" the illusion of worldly permanence "we" were all taught as being the one and only "Reality" !!!
    In this state, I may peacefully watch thoughts come and go. I see them, I watch them go by, but there is no associated charge. At times, particularly while meditating, I am able to enter a state of beingness and awareness in which I connect with the infinite.. the eternal. It is deeply serene and joyful. I am one with a brilliant light of golden warmth and love.

But how to remain in that state? One with all.. with the infinite and the eternal. I don’t know. For me, meditating regularly is extremely important. However, when I am feeling peaceful and at one and suddenly something jarring occurs, as Constance illustrates:

For example, you are driving along in your car, feeling a wonderful state of inner peace until someone runs a red light in front of you, and poof! That peaceful feeling has gone.
    I take a deep breath while consciously reengaging with the infinite.. I do this by immediately visualizing the eternal “I” at one with all the stars in the universe (I am very visually oriented).. I let the breath go while accepting and letting go what has occurred, and return to the here and now. I realize this may not work for others and I would be very interested to hear the techniques that others employ.

I also believe it is of utmost importance to have a sense of humor! Try not to lose it, find delight and laugh at the absurdities that surround us all the time! I recognize that this is sometimes not easy or even possible.

I also like what peterpam said:
    Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    One of the most productive steps I have taken toward inner peace is letting go of my need to want to control outcomes. If I am able to mindfully act in the things that I do and then just let the outcomes happen I reduce anxiety and live in acceptance which is a core ingredient for inner peace… …I would add that having equanimity towards all circumstances that occur is beneficial. If a circumstance needs changing and you can do something about it than do it, otherwise accept it.
    And, yes, as Constance suggests, connecting with nature is of immeasurable value:

… or you are bathing in a natural hot spring, or you are cosily sat by the fireside on a winters night, or you come into contact with a wild dolphin, or that feeling you have whilst you gaze up into the night sky.
    In nature I find the clearest path back to that state of beingness.. awareness.. oneness. Immersion in the infinite and joyous now.

With Love,

Ken

"Love is the only engine of survival.." Leonard Cohen

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Forest Denizen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Clear Light (28th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,522 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Inner peace in a modern world (How to have)

This observation may seem rather simple, but for me it's important enough to note along with some of the wonderful thoughts here.

Much of human angst — the lack of peace, the inner turmoil — is caused by our roaming, always-busy attention being pulled into the past (regrets, problems, hurts, misunderstandings), or the future (plans, hopes, anxieties, potential problems).

So as every great sage has told us: we need to Be Here Now. Then the question becomes... how?

Meditation has this as one of its prime goals, of course. But there are other everyday techniques which we all know about.

Painting, gardening, sewing, knitting, focusing on a creative project of any kind. Famously, fishing. And also (important for me personally), hiking in the mountains. Rhythmical steps, and rhythmical breathing, are also a form of moving meditation. Truly. (Scuba diving is very much the same, with steady, rhythmical breathing while floating effortlessly, apparently weightless. That might be the nearest easy in-the-body counterpart to an out-of-body experience. )

I used to be a serious rock climber, and that also really worked. But how can one find peace rock climbing?

Well, you absolutely have to Be Here Now. One needs total attention to detail, with no distraction from what happened a minute ago, or what one might encounter in a minute's time. This handhold, this foothold, this movement, this sway into balance. And then, having reached a safe place to rest: this knot, this anchor point, this careful management of the rope.

I invariably found when I was out climbing for a day, whatever issues I was grappling with in my life all just disappeared. They have may returned when I arrived back home! But they definitely totally vanished for a while. And the same applies with high mountain hiking.

That's a little different from strolling in the park or in the woods, where one's thoughts can drift and wander to one's problems quite easily. When one's focused on one's natural environment because one has to be, then (just like climbing) one's attention is only on the here and now.

It has to be very tough for people with no hobbies, interests, or access to any physical activity like that. (Or, for people with problems so serious that it's impossible in practical terms to ever leave them behind.) They're glued to the everyday turmoil, with no respite, and are hurled about by as if being thrown around in a hurricane.

Then all too often, they self-medicate with drugs, alcohol, or sex in a different attempt to find 'peace', which they never will — as it's never, ever the real thing.

14. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

AriG (28th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Clear Light (28th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), graciousb (26th July 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), jebrenham (1st May 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Michi (28th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), onevoice (29th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Satori (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), Sophocles (28th April 2019), sunwings (30th April 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019), Yoda (28th April 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

the Buddha said "life is suffering" and I do wonder whether something like inner peace can be sustained over time...or even if we'd want it to be.

perhaps those brief moments of inner peace are so magical precisely because they are so brief and rare. if they were easily attainable and could last indefinitely, they might become passe. we'd likely take them for granted. they might even become boring. you might even find yourself longing for the chaos and the audible-assault of a traffic jam on a city street!

the greatest crime in the universe is boredom. anything - no matter how seemingly pleasant - would get boring over time in the absence of it's opposite. it's like when a romantic relationship is moving along very smoothly, and one of the people involved seems to manufacture drama in order to spice things up - it's because they've gotten bored.

i think we experience something like inner peace when we know we're doing everything in our power to maximize our potential...we've left no stones unturned. now we can relax. we've earned that inner peace. but it's not necessarily meant to last too long, maybe. i think we have a moral obligation to do what's meaningful (not what makes us happy), and when we do that, we get that sense of fulfillment, or inner peace.

having blabbed on and said all that: if i need a brief respite from the outer world asap, i take a loooong shower. i'll sit on the edge of the tub and just let the hot water work it's magic. it's like entering another dimension. i get all my best ideas that way...-or-.. i just shut down completely and don't think at all. it's likely the closest to a meditative state i ever get.

nice thread, Constance. you've made me think a little here. great contributions all around
    Last edited by Mike; 28th April 2019 at 19:06.

16. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

AriG (28th April 2019), Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Michi (1st May 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

‘I just want peace. Not pieces.’

This was a saying my mother used to repeat when I was younger. With three wild children under her feet, a full time career, juggling marriage and also being chief cook and bottle washer, I rarely saw my mother do something to just have peace for herself. All that sense of obligation to keep fires out, keep everything and everyone afloat and the wolf away from the door - peace for herself was really never enjoyed. Actually, she would call it a luxury, like she didn’t deserve to have it Go figure!

Great idea for a thread, Constance. Thank you for opening it, there are so many directions you can go just contemplating this topic.

18. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

AriG (28th April 2019), Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Intranuclear's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 times in 360 posts

So imagine you are a firefighter and in the middle of some horrible situation where you have to act fast and figure things out fast and deal with all kinds of yelling, burning and chocking and well maybe you get the idea.
    Question: Is this a situation where being in that cat-like inner peace is better than being in a different, a more calm but highly stressed and mind and body working 100x faster and pushing oneself to exhaustion just to save one more life maybe even your own?

If there is any thought that I am being a devil's advocate, I am not.
    The question I have is if being in a permanent state of inner peace is necessary useful all the time?

20. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

AriG (28th April 2019), Bill Ryan (28th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), william r sanford72 (28th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

Thank you for this well timed thread.coming from the view and outlooks of a X junky..I constantly had/have to self check my feelings ..thinking and mental processes..to this day I consider it a must in my tool box of life..and cannot add to any of thee above post other than whatever works use it..punk rock to bee keeping and my art..and even Avalon..its all in my personel tool box..

having three children with one leaving for collage in a couple months and work and farming and trying to protect my family and this small little plot of land and what resides and lives in it forces me in away to apply thee tools or suffer and wallow in the very things that lead into inner turmoil and darkness...and I havnt even mentioned or added into the mix the High strangeness and UFO encounters.I still have to buckle Up.Now tho I find that going along WITH the ride is hella alott better than fighting it.

Avalon Rocks..

William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The very best advice I ever got was "Stop talking to your self"
    My world was falling apart--my business going to the wall- I was deeply depressed
    I needed a substitute income so I went to a course on hypnotherapy--one of my better decisions.
    I asked the tutor for advice--he said the above to me and walked off--I was hurt the course, was expensive, I expected more.
    Boy was he smart--he explained later when I was really ready to listen.

Its as thought there are two voices --the incoming thought which you did not ask for or initiate.
    and then you fall into the trap of starting a conversation with it--that's called self talk.
    Invariably the other voice is judgmental--all the should haves--if not direct at you, the circumstances --other people.
    It will keep you awake at night.
    Dont feed it, invite it in for tea.
    Dont give it energy by answering it.
    Starved it will shut up and leave you in peace.
    Can happen quite quickly but you have to be vigilant.
    Its clever just looking for an opportunity to rattle your cage--it seems to have good intention.
    Eckhart called it the Pain body--its part of the ego.

Chris

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Michi (1st May 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), Rich (28th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), sllim11 (29th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

I love what Bill has to say about being in the here and now because “you have to”, when perched precariously on a rock face, where one false step could lead to one’s demise. And perhaps that is why we all experience angst and strive for that inner peace? We live (most of us) in comfort. Compare that to what Paleolithic humans had to endure, where every day was a struggle for physical survival. It’s doubtful that they had much time for navel gazing and seeking peace. Perhaps inner peace is a product of overcoming extreme challenge? Could even possibly be the result of endorphin rush recovery? Maybe one has to experience the polar opposite of inner peace regularly to experience inner peace? Yin Yang?

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (28th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (22nd July 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

27. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 06:53. Reason: clarity

28. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (28th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (29th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Intranuclear (here)
    So imagine you are a firefighter and in the middle of some horrible situation where you have to act fast and figure things out fast and deal with all kinds of yelling, burning and chocking and well maybe you get the idea.
    Question: Is this a situation where being in that cat-like inner peace is better than being in a different, a more calm but highly stressed and mind and body working 100x faster and pushing oneself to exhaustion just to save one more life maybe even your own?

If there is any thought that I am being a devil's advocate, I am not.
    The question I have is if being in a permanent state of inner peace is necessary useful all the time?
    Yes because clear headed action can then take place.
    "Act in haste, repent at leisure"
    Inner peace does not negate action.
    Chris

30. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (28th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Intranuclear (28th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (28th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (29th April 2019), Rosemarie (28th April 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Intranuclear's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 times in 360 posts

I like all of the responses given, but here is where I throw in a little bit of monkey.
    You are a soldier mowing down hundreds of well, people.
    You keep your inner peace
    Some might call that a robot or AI
    Ender's Game: He goes into inner peace and finds the answer to win the game, but he ends up wiping out a world.
    He did not talk to himself and question his actions.

So while inner peace is obviously critical in maintaining sanity, the question is, is that good enough? Are the other emotions valid? Is there room for hatred or anger?
    Again I am not disagreeing with anything said at all, as I try to practice that all of the time, but sometimes it just feels wrong.

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (29th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (29th April 2019), Rich (29th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

33. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 06:54.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (29th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Mike (29th April 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), Rich (29th April 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,522 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by AriG (here)
    I love what Bill has to say about being in the here and now because “you have to”, when perched precariously on a rock face, where one false step could lead to one’s demise.
    I truly don't want to derail this interesting thread in any way! But what you describe isn't quite what I was referring to. There's definitely no inner peace in being all too aware that one might easily fall and be seriously injured in just a few seconds' time, unless one dispels the impending emergency.

But there's a medium ground here, of climbing (or doing any adventure sport, like skiing or kayaking) well within one's zone of comfort and ability.

Then, it's easy — but one still has to focus and get it right. Sewing is like that (as best I understand!). So is painting something that takes a lot of care, or repairing or creating something intricate. You may know exactly what to do, but you still have to Be Here Now and do it perfectly. That requires us to bring our mind's focus right to the present. If one's mind wanders, then mistakes can happen.

So, what I'm referring to is just being in the Now and making sure that every action is impeccably executed. In that sense, there are crossovers with yoga, and maybe many other activities where focusing on exact execution Right Now is what makes the past and the future just disappear from our busy minds. For me, that's where 'peace' lies.

Because 'peace' is often understood by people to be like a vacation on the beach, doing maybe almost nothing — as a palliative contrast to one's hectic, problematic, stressful life back home. That's more like equating peace with stopping hitting one's head on the wall.

That's not 'peace': that's the release from prior stress. I'm not convinced the two are the same.

What I'm trying to describe here isn't a static peace, but a dynamic one... in which something is achieved exactly through that peaceful, grounded, focused, unstressed state of mind, and the result is a deep, nourishing satisfaction.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 29th April 2019 at 01:29.

36. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (30th April 2019), AriG (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (29th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd May 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), happyuk (29th April 2019), Intranuclear (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), Michi (1st May 2019), Pam (29th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (29th April 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019), Yoda (29th April 2019)

37. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

But what I meant Bill was that the after effect of the stress of a life challenging event very well might be inner peace- a physiological response to the stress. A release. And isn’t that what inner peace is? A release? And achieving a massive climb is indeed an accomplishment, but so might be the realization of what might have happened. Why do people thrill seek or watch horror films? The recovery might be the thing?
    Last edited by AriG; 29th April 2019 at 01:47.

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (29th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), Intranuclear (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019)

39. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

all , everything we acquire , we cherish and value, the bonds we make , our things, money , our physicality ,friends and loved ones, will all be lost. knowing the impermanance of this life has to be stressful

40. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2019), Chip (30th April 2019), Constance (29th April 2019), Debra (29th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (29th April 2019), greybeard (29th April 2019), loungelizard (30th April 2019), petra (30th April 2019), Rich (29th April 2019), Sierra (1st May 2019), william r sanford72 (29th April 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast