+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feel good thoughts. What helps?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Default Feel good thoughts. What helps?

Memes and affirmations that help me feel good and feel empowered.

Reminders to self
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 22nd May 2019 at 18:07. Reason: spelling

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Baby Steps (22nd May 2019), celticwarrior (22nd May 2019), Constance (23rd May 2019), earthdreamer (23rd May 2019), Franny (23rd May 2019), Jean-Marie (25th May 2019), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022), justntime2learn (24th May 2019), Michi (22nd May 2019), Omi (25th May 2019), petra (22nd May 2019), Rhogar (24th May 2019), Rosemarie (23rd May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019), Sadieblue (23rd May 2019), Seabreeze (25th May 2019), sunwings (23rd May 2019), Tyy1907 (22nd May 2019), wondering (23rd May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Default Re: Feel good thoughts. What helps?

Listening to anything by Enya tends to calm me down if I'm starting to panic, but as for feeling good? Hmmm!

For me, music makes the most significant difference. I don't think there's any point in naming songs, but my point is that there's certain songs that I just can't help but feel good when I listen to them. Conversely there's also songs that make me want to leave the room - but that's the power of music

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Constance (23rd May 2019), Franny (23rd May 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (22nd May 2019), Rosemarie (23rd May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019), Sadieblue (23rd May 2019), Seabreeze (25th May 2019), Tyy1907 (22nd May 2019), wondering (23rd May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,275 times in 1,435 posts

Those affirmations are wonderful
    Thank you

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tyy1907 For This Post:

Constance (23rd May 2019), Franny (23rd May 2019), Rosemarie (23rd May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019), Seabreeze (25th May 2019), wondering (23rd May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

for comparison

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Franny (23rd May 2019), greybeard (25th May 2019), Rosemarie (23rd May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019), Seabreeze (25th May 2019), wondering (23rd May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better.

The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Constance (26th May 2019), Dennis Leahy (25th May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019), Seabreeze (25th May 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

So billionaires are our role model?

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

I dont think so..Bubu... I see this as example. The billonaires know how to attract wealth. Everybody must know for themself which goal is important for them to go for......

...very interesting video conk....it did remind me again...I have to work more on myself and watch where my attention/awareness goes all the time......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

RunningDeer (25th May 2019)

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I need new friends.....the old ones see and hear to bad........................

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

greybeard (25th May 2019), Rosemarie (25th May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019)

16. Link to Post #9
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Sometimes the mind needs a little up lift.
    I use mucuna powder which has been used in India for many years'
    It gives a feeling of well being.
    Chris

Mucuna pruriens is a reowned Ayurvedic herb, or rather legume, used extensively in one of the oldest health care systems in the world, the traditional Indian medical system of Ayurveda. As a highly cherished rasayana and rejuvenating powder, it is known to be especially supportive to the nervous system functions, especially for its influence as a nervine tonic helpful for calming anxiety-related tension. Commonly utilized in powdered form, it is believed to contain a particular compound that potentially acts a precursor certain mood-uplifting neurotransmitters. Powders are often used as a dietary supplement added in small amounts to teas or blended drinks.

Last edited by greybeard; 25th May 2019 at 10:52.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

conk (18th June 2019), Pam (25th May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019), Seabreeze (25th May 2019)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Last edited by RunningDeer; 25th May 2019 at 13:13.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Constance (26th May 2019), Johnnycomelately (24th July 2022), Seabreeze (25th May 2019)

20. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

yes, you got it. The breathing is very important.....Thanks for the reminder ....

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Constance (26th May 2019), greybeard (25th May 2019), RunningDeer (25th May 2019)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Gary Douglas (Access Consciousness) teaches that when something good happens, you say "How does it get better than this?" And when something bad happens, you say "How does it get better than this?" By asking an open-ended question rather than making an affirmation you invite (rather than demand) the universe to help you with unlimited possibilities.

And every morning repeat 10 times "All of life comes to me with ease and joy and glory." This is an affirmation, but so general as to almost not be one.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Krist (25th May 2019), Rosemarie (25th May 2019)

24. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

In my earlier years I used to literally despair at the thought of so many years of forced labor at work I barely could endure or enjoy.

Now that I can see the end, working no longer holds any trepidation or resentment. I can do it because I feel good about the idea that it will not last much longer. And I have been blessed by the best job I have ever had, and have almost beat my record of the longest working period so far in my life - going on two years straight...(my record is 2 1/2 years).

So every morning I remember to be grateful for my job and rest easy knowing there is not much more torture to go through.

Oh, and I often thank my lucky stars for a fantastic son-in-law, who managed to talk my daughter into having children, which she had sworn she would never do. I love my two grand-daughters.

Actual feel good thoughts are rare for me. I use music to lighten my mood and meditation to ease my panic at the necessity of work and the insanity of the world.

But I also feel good that I have stuck to my guns and resisted the molding of my life by the establishment. I have continued and survived and for that I am grateful because I came close to ending it all back in 1999.

As I now say, 'I feel like I have won now that I am over sixty and still alive.'

But above all else I am grateful that I have not compromised my integrity to put food on the table.

One last thing, I am grateful that I have almost completed all of my personal goals that I set for myself. I composed my own music and made my own CD, although my music editing program will not render it into wave format so I cannot download it for others to hear - no matter. And I have written my books and have only one more to write - but MS holds my millions of words ransom and I do not have the energy to retrieve it and reformat them into a free format - again no matter because I suspect no one would want to read them anyway, judging from the fact that I have been unable to publish.

And that is my most bitter defeat that over-shadows everything else - my ambition to be an author will not be realized. (that is my biggest secret)

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest - now I truly do feel good.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

greybeard (25th May 2019), Krist (25th May 2019), Mark (29th May 2019), Rosemarie (25th May 2019), Seabreeze (31st May 2019)

26. Link to Post #14
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Ernie have you looked at Presonus studio one DAW?
    I make cds with that and you can have various formats.
    Its my hobby and studio one is the best to my mind--the entry model is reasonably priced--if you buy the Presonus interface you get it for free.

Its my feel good factor singing playing bass making cds with friends.

Regards Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

27. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Icve already spent hundreds.
    I use Cool Edit for direct waveform manipulation and effects.
    My sequencer is Fruity Loops.
    Just don't feel like learnong any more half-assed programs...but thanks for the suggestion.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

greybeard (29th May 2019), Mark (29th May 2019)

29. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

.....music often makes my day....my best friend...music....

and to watch mother natures beauty always brightens up my days also...

......The best way to cheer yourself is to cheer somebody else up.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 31st May 2019 at 06:57.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Harmony (24th July 2022)

31. Link to Post #17
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,593 times in 983 posts

Optimism is more an attitude than a thought, but I think this report (from 2019) suits this thread.

“Optimism is associated with exceptional longevity in 2 epidemiologic cohorts of men and women”

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1900712116

“Significance

Optimism is a psychological attribute characterized as the general expectation that good things will happen, or the belief that the future will be favorable because one can control important outcomes. Previous studies reported that more optimistic individuals are less likely to suffer from chronic diseases and die prematurely. Our results further suggest that optimism is specifically related to 11 to 15% longer life span, on average, and to greater odds of achieving “exceptional longevity,” that is, living to the age of 85 or beyond. These relations were independent of socioeconomic status, health conditions, depression, social integration, and health behaviors (e.g., smoking, diet, and alcohol use). Overall, findings suggest optimism may be an important psychosocial resource for extending life span in older adults.

Abstract

Most research on exceptional longevity has investigated biomedical factors associated with survival, but recent work suggests nonbiological factors are also important. Thus, we tested whether higher optimism was associated with longer life span and greater likelihood of exceptional longevity. Data are from 2 cohorts, women from the Nurses’ Health Study (NHS) and men from the Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study (NAS), with follow-up of 10 y (2004 to 2014) and 30 y (1986 to 2016), respectively. Optimism was assessed using the Life Orientation Test–Revised in NHS and the Revised Optimism–Pessimism Scale from the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2 in NAS. Exceptional longevity was defined as survival to age 85 or older. Primary analyses used accelerated failure time models to assess differences in life span associated with optimism; models adjusted for demographic confounders and health conditions, and subsequently considered the role of health behaviors. Further analyses used logistic regression to evaluate the likelihood of exceptional longevity. In both sexes, we found a dose-dependent association of higher optimism levels at baseline with increased longevity (P trend < 0.01). For example, adjusting for demographics and health conditions, women in the highest versus lowest optimism quartile had 14.9% (95% confidence interval, 11.9 to 18.0) longer life span. Findings were similar in men. Participants with highest versus lowest optimism levels had 1.5 (women) and 1.7 (men) greater odds of surviving to age 85; these relationships were maintained after adjusting for health behaviors. Given work indicating optimism is modifiable, these findings suggest optimism may provide a valuable target to test for strategies to promote longevity”

Here is where I learned of the study, starting at 14:20. Up until then, his talk is about a different study that gets into the weeds of aging, technical epigenetic stuff. Somewhere in there, he talks about how important physical activity is, as shown by genetic markers. He is, IMO, a star of reporting the nuts and bolts of the chemistry and gene mechanisms involved with the thing. I think that he walks a fine line for reasons of proper professionalism (across all vids), but knows what’s up.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Harmony (24th July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread