+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navigating the collapse

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Default Navigating the collapse

Crossing the bump in the road ahead, or more appropriately called the chasm ahead, will require preparation for some of us.

USA Watchdog, Greg Hunter, offers financial insights: Precious metals. Sounds right to me if you can afford it.

My opinion is that when the stuff hits the fan, it is critically important to have stored food and a plan to get clean water for as long as it takes to get to the other side.

Security will be another issue for some.

Those who fail to plan may be planning to fail, or simply go home. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Lessons are repeated until they are learned.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 16th June 2019 at 16:44.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2022), Bill Ryan (17th June 2019), Chip (31st July 2022), Iloveyou (16th June 2019), Ioneo (16th June 2019), jc71 (16th June 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (22nd June 2022), Matthew (14th June 2022), mountain_jim (18th June 2019), Nasu (19th June 2019), neutronstar (16th June 2019), Rosemarie (16th June 2019), Sadieblue (17th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 times in 258 posts

Default Re: Navigating the collapse

Hi Ron,

It's strange as I have been thinking there will be a need for this for years now and of course it hasn't happened, yet...

But I have dried food in the loft, water filters, weapons, gold, silver, so if there is a problem. my family will be ok for a while...

It's a strange thing as you don't want to contribute to the thought that there might be a big problem, but at the same time you don't want to kick yourself if there is and you haven't done anything about it when you could have.

Just look at the reports today of the whole of Argentina being without power for a while!

Regards,

JC

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jc71 For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2022), Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Matthew (14th June 2022), Nasu (19th June 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (16th June 2019), Rosemarie (16th June 2019), Sadieblue (17th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

It is a balancing act. I suspect that focusing only on the worst that could happen is a magnet for that manifestation. And the converse is also true. Acting from inspiration is definitely the way to go. Denial of future events is no help at all.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2022), Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), jc71 (17th June 2019), Nasu (19th June 2019), Rosemarie (16th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

I just clicked on the link in the above post that took me to your site. Awesome library of info!

I expect that you have made people here on Avalon aware of your site (and I have just overlooked it).

For anyone looking for easy access to survival and/or food and water strategy your site is great!

Thank you Ron!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), mountain_jim (18th June 2019), Nasu (19th June 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2019), Rosemarie (16th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,309 times in 307 posts

Ron I have your site bookmarked, lots of good info there if
    anyone is interested.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sadieblue For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Nasu (19th June 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 times in 262 posts

r/collapse
    comprehensive, frantic, depressing counting of the outer apocalypse, with a sidebar full of links to all things survival and coping.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

I dont have a death wish but im not afraid to die either. thats enough preparation for me. who knows it might be better on the other density, maybe a more exciting new adventure.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Nasu (19th June 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (19th June 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,599 times in 5,379 posts

Bubu. People like you are counting on your ingenuity and skill to get through whatever might happen.

There are still some things that might make that easier to do if some pre-planning were to take place.

The very first would be clean water. A way to filter water quickly would save a lot of heart-ache. Don't want to be trying to create a water filter while you are dying of thirst...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Nasu (19th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

on second thought, we know that the elite wants us, the useless eaters all dead. I will not give it to them without a fight. I will live if only to see this people brought to demise and make to pay for their crimes. that being said we are going to need this https://www.instructables.com/id/Pow...a-Wood-Gasifi/ every village should have at least one . with this its possible to create another then another. with power everything can be created with ease. I have a hunch that the power sector will be hit hardest.
    IF TSHTF the first thing I will do is to go around the village and check if everyone is ok. then create a group that will check on the other villages. why would I do this? remember walking dead and other post apocalypse movies? its a psyop for us to kill each other. and then we also know that they are mixing and grouping people. Christians are more likely to distrust Muslims and vice versa and so on. checking on one another will make this psyop ineffective. I reckon they are destroying us by making us fight one another, therefore the solution is to take care of one another.
    Last edited by Bubu; 17th June 2019 at 13:54.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Tigger (15th June 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Bubu. People like you are counting on your ingenuity and skill to get through whatever might happen.

There are still some things that might make that easier to do if some pre-planning were to take place.

The very first would be clean water. A way to filter water quickly would save a lot of heart-ache. Don't want to be trying to create a water filter while you are dying of thirst...
    if you mean me save your worries. im not gonna die of thirst even if TSHTF right now. we have plenty of natural water source around here. I can also make a biosand filter in a matter of 3 or 4 hours , if in case. I can also do the filter and boil or filter and sun. the only place I see water could be a problem for me is in the desert.

fear of death is one of the most efficient strategy use against the masses
    Last edited by Bubu; 17th June 2019 at 13:56.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Tigger (15th June 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

I don't see end of days until society is completely morally bankrupt. I don't see that now. Keep being honest and honorable and the future will be peaceful, IMHO.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Nasu (19th June 2019), Tigger (15th June 2022)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Justplain (here)
    I don't see end of days until society is completely morally bankrupt. I don't see that now. Keep being honest and honorable and the future will be peaceful, IMHO.
    I agree with you. IMHO we are not heading to end of times I see the opposite to be true. good times ahead for humans. just keeping a rough plan in my head. plan prevents panic. panic is the worst killer on emergencies.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Ernie Nemeth (5th July 2019), Gwin Ru (22nd June 2022), Justplain (17th June 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,187 times in 4,071 posts

Ron, the link you have to your website in the opening post doesn't work at the moment

I wasn't sure where to post this but this thread title caught my eye. Marcus something or other aka Count Dankula gives some friendly warnings to his followers:

The Market Is Getting Bad, Count Dankula 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Contains strong, gratuitous, very unacceptable vulgar language if you can understand what he says

Last edited by Matthew; 14th June 2022 at 23:45.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Brigantia (15th June 2022), Gwin Ru (22nd June 2022), Harmony (15th June 2022), Ron Mauer Sr (15th June 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

My apologies for the broken links. It would be a lot of work to put things back together again. One of the problems is that I am not an internet guru and help is not always available. The website and WordPress files still exist but not in an integrated format. Maybe someday I'll give it more time.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Brigantia (15th June 2022), Gwin Ru (22nd June 2022), Harmony (15th June 2022), Matthew (15th June 2022), Tigger (15th June 2022)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Solutions
    Updated 6/26/22
    Does your plan address these issues? A self examination for Preppers.

Bugging In Link
    Communication
    Advance planning very important before communications get interrupted. Make sure all family members know the meet up plan in the event of a sudden emergency while the adults are at work and the children are in school.

Have a plan and a contingency plan.
    Communicate without working cell phone towers. Research amateur radio, FRS radio and GMRS radio.

Fuel
    Wood - Do not use wood fuel inside without an attached chimney.    Dry twigs will fire a small camp stove for cooking outside. Wood may be the only fuel available during a long term emergency.

Fire Starting
    Cotton ball with petroleum jelly
    Magnesium fire starter

First Aid – Get training from someone qualified to teach.

Food - Alternative Cook Stoves
    Wood may be the only fuel available.
    Coghlan’s folding stove
    Alcohol burner
    Dutch Oven
    Firebox stove
    G Stove
    Wood pellets in a wood stove
    Volcano stove can use wood, charcoal or propane fuel
    Wood burning camp stoves
    Solar Cooking
    Hobo stove
    Swedish Torch
    Kerosene cook stove

Food Preservation
    Fermentation
    Dehydration
    Food dehydrating with Tammy
    Dehydrate frozen food. Put small pieces directly into the dehydrator.
    Dehydrate without using electricity with a solar food dryer.

How can the shelf life of food be preserved after opening a large sealed container? Repackage in smaller containers (Mason jars or Mylar bags) and vacuum seal. Plastic bags are porous and food will not last as long as with Mylar.

Food Production in Small Spaces
    Sprouting
    Grow Bag
    Dutch bucket hydroponic system
    Kratky method
    Square Foot Garden

Food - Vacuum Packing in small containers (jars and Mylar bags)
    Pump N Seal
    Oxygen absorbers can be used with Mylar bags
    Plastic bags are slightly porous and not suitable for long term food storage.
    Mason jar. Create a vacuum with a Foodsaver, PumpNSeal or Oxygen Absorbers.

Food - Shelf Life

Food - Learning Center and Food Store    East Coast Preppers

Food – Seed
    Saving seed
    Is there enough seed to plant the next season’s harvest?

Hygiene
    How can I take a shower? Pressurized water may not be available but you can still use your bathtub to catch the used water. Bring bucket of hot water into the bathroom. Use a smaller bucket to dip, pour and rinse.
    Camp shower.
    Clothes washing
    Are personal hygiene supplies adequate? Soap is inexpensive and does not expire. Great barter item.

Grid down lighting
    Solar pathway lights Bring them inside when the sun goes down. Put them outside to get recharged during sunlight.

Refrigeration Without Electricity

Security
    Be very careful about discussing your plans for prepping. When times get rough, hungry and desperate people who know that you have prepared are likely to become unwelcome visitors or worse if you can be found. Nothing hidden in the house is safe. Hide your most valued resources outdoors away from the house. Blend in. Become invisible.

Security Bear Spray

Shelter
    On the Road Cheap RV Living

Toilets
    Humanure and Sawdust toilets
    When there is no toilet paper

Tools
    Is a manual can opener available? P38
    Knife and Tool Sharpening
    Is a small ax or other tool available to make small pieces of wood suitable for a small wood fired camp stove?
    A garden trowel is the only tool needed for working a Square Foot Garden, No fuel required, only need simple hand tools.

Water Retrieval
    Catch rain water using a tarp or from a roof gutter system.
    Retrieve deep well water with an inexpensive homemade water tube or bailer bucket.

Water filters, purifiers, pasteurization and desalination
    Research Sawyer water filter and Berkey water filter.
    Water pasteurization.
    Desalination.

Water Heating
    A Volcano stove can use propane, wood or charcoal for fuel. Get a big pot for the hot water.
    Or use an outdoor propane fired turkey cooker.

Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 26th June 2022 at 16:44.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Anna70 (31st July 2022), Bill Ryan (22nd June 2022), Brigantia (31st July 2022), Gwin Ru (22nd June 2022), Harmony (23rd June 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (22nd June 2022), RunningDeer (22nd June 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 times in 159 posts

Thank you ever so much for sharing all these interesting and useful links!!

Yesterday I came across a double walled wood stove, which is meant to be very efficient due to making better use of the gasification that takes place when burning wood. It looks very stable, and as the top half and smaller parts all fit inside the bottom half, it packs away in a fairly small bag, so it should fit quite nicely inside many pots or a 'bug out bag'. It can also run on alcohol, but I was really impressed by this video, which explains how to get a plenty long burn time to make at least an omelette and a hot drink without the need to add more wood halfway through, by filling it up properly to begin with. (The fire is not built form the bottom up, but started from the top.) For emergency use or wet weather, you could even have one pre-filled with dry wood or carry some wood pellets.

I've ordered a very similar looking one from OnBuy.com for only £10.89, and hope I did the right thing, as it doesn't mention the Ohuhu brand name. The Ohuhu is available on Amazon UK for £20.59, and it looks as if that now comes with a 'Grill Grid' for barbecue purposes, but this should also allow smaller cups to sit on top of the stove. (For efficiency, I would use a larger diameter cup or pot though.)

I'll let you know how I get on with mine when I've received it and had a chance to try it out. :-)

The original also features in the Youtube video you shared on wood burning camp stoves, about 6:17 in.

Edit: Alpkit do a (largely) double walled one for £19.99, which folds flat.
    Last edited by Anna70; 31st July 2022 at 14:46.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna70 For This Post:

Brigantia (31st July 2022), Harmony (31st July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread