+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast

Thread: Dance, dance, dance....

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: Dance, dance, dance....

Quote Posted by Carmen (here)
    Something is stifled if everything has to be correct and 'just so'. Actually the music dictates the dance, but the music doesn't care how we express it in dance!
    Well said Carmen. Well said. This particular thread is incredibly important in my own life. Dance is certainly a way to God for me. The word God doesn't have a negative connotation or charge for me. It certainly isn't a bearded man sitting on a cloud. You might call it spirit, or source, or divinity. The label isn't that important to me. What I do know is that there is a field where I can experience being totally unified and at one. There is a field where I feel love emanating from every poor of me. I have a distinct experience of dwelling in the sacred. Sacred, not as in "do not touch". Sacred in the sense of standing in the thick of it saying, "I see you, you see me, we have significance, and we are celebrated and loved".

For me dancing is a place of worship. It's my church. Again, I do not have any fears or traumas associated with these words. Worship to me isn't a blind and mindless relinquishing of my own autonomy. Just the opposite. It is the conscious act of adoring and willingly giving myself away, because it is healing and cleansing. I once participated in a foot washing ceremony. We sat in a circle and took turns washing each others feet. Yeah. That's worship. That's adoration. Really, it's just throwing love at something or someone. It is showering with loving, conscious attention. It's simply acknowledging significance.

To love Love, is to love God. That's how I see it. Anyway, this doesn't have to turn into a theological debate. My point, is that church for me is a designated place of acknowledging the divine by adoring it through the giving of my own self expression. That kind of worship honors me, and it honors the object of my worship. Wherever that occurs, that is my church. When I dance, I am worshiping. I am journeying. I am moving energy.

I can feel people's soul signatures, and move their awareness into non-ordinary reality by grabbing their assemblage points. People have the power to journey to other realms without the aid of power plants ( I totally support those practices by the way). Dance and music is another way of breaking through the veil. While there are many places where that can happen implicitly, I am exceptionally interested in created autonomous zones where that is the explicit purpose for gathering.

I once saw a film about a married woman who decided on a whim to go on a road trip with a couple of younger men (boys). The film chronicles their experiences together. It seems that she is searching for something. In the end she finds it in a little beach town in Mexico, and dies shortly after. You find out at the end that she knew she was dying of cancer. I suppose she was looking for meaning and substance. At the end of the film you see the waves careening into the beach over and over again as you hear her words. "You have to give yourself away like the sea". Those words have always stayed with me. They burned themselves into my heart. Don't we secretly all want to give ourselves away? I certainly do. I want to give myself away without being punished for it, neglected, betrayed, or killed. I want to give myself away and know that in doing just that, I will be replenished by a loving community. a loving universe. That, to me, is divinity. If I can't give myself away, then I can't be me. How sad it is that I have to hold myself back.

When I am on the dance floor, I become wild again. I become a force of nature. I can be the thunder and the rain. I can be a hurricane. I can be a babbling brook. I can be a hungry coyote, stalking its prey. I can be an avalanche. I can be a hawk, barreling at terminal velocities through the air, beckoning death, and always evading it. I can ride the razors edge of pure annihilation, without being annihilated. I can obliterate myself. The prison that binds me. I become truly unbridled, unfettered, and free, while still maintaining my body.

Dance is truly a religious experience for me.
    If our night wasn't constantly lit up by bright lights, we would be able to see the stars.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armen For This Post:

Carmen (12th June 2011), Morgaine (11th June 2011), pilotsimone (2nd August 2011), Rainbowbrite (18th June 2011), seko (11th June 2011)

3. Link to Post #22
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

A bunch of us are dancing in our local city park this weekend.......

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,730 times in 4,313 posts

Hi Armen.

Wow,,,you and I would get along pretty well.
    I used to love to use dancing as a tool to turn off the internal dialogue. I'm 38 now, a tad too old to be out clubbing anymore, but god,,,during the 90s I used to go to Rave parties 3-4 times a week. People have a negative association with those parties and assume everyone was on drugs all the time.
    I wouldn't claim to be puritanical here. But I never ever needed to do drugs in order to dance into a trance and experience vehicler body awareness.

Last edited by DNA; 11th June 2011 at 07:02.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Armen (11th June 2011), wegge (1st August 2011)

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Well, DNA's post certainly reminded me of my life a few years ago too! (man I loved dance parties!) I am too shy to dance in front of other people, even though I love music so much, and feel moved to dance by it.
    The music that really gets right into my soul is any kind of Latin american, (so does reggae for that matter) So here is a song that means an awful to to me, it represents a really happy and formative time in my life. It has an instant emotional effect on me whenever I listen to it, even if I listen to it over and over again. If only I could dance beautifully!!!

Compay Segundo (Buena Vista Social Club and composer of Chan Chan) said he never composed it, he dreamed it!

(I had to post lower quality video as best one would not embed, sorry)
    Last edited by Morgaine; 11th June 2011 at 20:22.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Post:

Armen (11th June 2011), DNA (12th June 2011), Marsila (1st August 2011), seko (11th June 2011)

8. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Armen I am so happy that dance is an important expression of all that you are it is for me as well... Dance for me kinderagrten thru 3rd grade ballet but also early sixties pop & rock as you can see by my age (55) I was about 8 or 9 when the Beatles &Rolling Stones became popular. loved those dances too.. I have three older siblings & two younger & we would all dance in the livingroom so cute ..we are only 8 years apart total oldest to youngest.Then 7th grade thru 12 th and beyond i studied 2 styles of martial arts one soft circular, one hard linear.. I loved the soft. then after high school I found my favorite style of dance... Polynesian, Hawaiian hula. Tahitian, Maori etc. I even learned the poi balls (balls attached to a 3 ft rope and twirled and fire coconuts. I live in Las Vegas and I trained with a professional polynesian dance troop and we would perform in major hotel lounges and regularly at the Nellis AFB officers club (they had lots of luaus). this was mid to late 1970s.. Even today this style of dance is a big part of my life .. I dance by myself my husband doesnt dance.. ever..i rarely did the discos of the 1970s or the nightclubs of 1980s too many strobes, drunken, drugged people touching & bumping into me not to mention bad sound systems at too high of a decibal level. Dance/soft martial arts feed my soul.Thank you for this thread that brings back the memories.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal Blue Being For This Post:

Armen (12th June 2011), DNA (12th June 2011)

10. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,730 times in 4,313 posts

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Hi Armen.

Wow,,,you and I would get along pretty well.
    I used to love to use dancing as a tool to turn off the internal dialogue. I'm 38 now, a tad too old to be out clubbing anymore, but god,,,during the 90s I used to go to Rave parties 3-4 times a week. People have a negative association with those parties and assume everyone was on drugs all the time.
    I wouldn't claim to be puritanical here. But I never ever needed to do drugs in order to dance into a trance and experience vehicler body awareness.

Wow,,,,I've come back and watched this video quite a bit since I posted it.
    I went through like 40 youtube videos before I found this one.
    This one spoke to me.
    I used to do martial arts. Wing chun and tai chi primarily.
    When I could'nt get my trance turned on, ussually when I first got to the club/rave, I would focus on one area in my aura and I would imagine a ball there.
    I know folks do the imaginary ball in their hands while dancing a lot,,,but I would move this ball through my aura until I found the blockage.
    When I found the blockage I would then rest my awareness there while moving the ball until it was gone, and then bingo, I would be in a trance.
    Kind of like this young man.

When my trance was full on I would occasionally finger dance like the young lady in the first video.
    While I was doing it, I would feel like I was finger plucking filiments in my aura.
    My fingers could feel tactile sensations, like moving through a thick liquid.
    I felt like I was energizing memories in my aura of a former life as a belly dancer,,, and in this life, plucking energetic filiments in my field like a Harp player would her instrument.
    Very cool. It's nice to see this young lady and kind of relive that experience.
    Last edited by DNA; 19th June 2011 at 03:12.

11. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,829 times in 458 posts

Exploration of Park Güell in Barcelona through DANCE

My book on the philosophy and power of imagination and how to train yours:
    www.jinn-imagio.de/book

12. Link to Post #28
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

Dancing is fun with the right music, here is mixed Turk/Kurd music.

This is the best dancing I've ever seen, originally for military training of Yemenite Yahudi tribs. Turned into peaceful dancing.

Mongolian traditional dance about trading and bartering.
    Last edited by Davidallany; 1st August 2011 at 10:11.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

Marsila (2nd August 2011)

14. Link to Post #29
    New Zealand Avalon Member etheric underground's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 times in 540 posts

Hey Armen... Great call my brother.
    I was lucky to be born into a musical family and brought up
    in the 80s.. I am a break dancer from the old school.
    Love pooping and locking and pulling out the old windmill here and there
    Thats if the old hips and wrists can bear it.
    BREAKDANCE.....ELECTRIC BOOGIE..WOHOO brings back my child hood.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to etheric underground For This Post:

KosmicKat (1st August 2011), Marsila (2nd August 2011), Morgaine (2nd August 2011)

16. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Retired Member
    In the Matrix...imagining how i'd like it to be
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 times in 375 posts

Hi Armen, I absolutely agree with everything you said. In what i have seen, people who seem to be aware of their bodies and what to do with it, also happen to have more awareness of the invisible layers of ourselves.

I did ballet for ten years then stopped never realizing what a great impact that had on so many features of my life (posture, acceptable social behaviors, understanding of other people and cultures) until later in life. you know like noticing the rhythm of a situation and following rather than doing the opposite.

I now think you can read so many books and talk to people and not know much about them, then just learn about there dance or watch how a person dances (for an individual) and a whole part of the picture is unlocked in front of you in seconds.

also agree that for dance to do its purpose it shouldn't be so structured. I went to one of them "ballroom tango" classes once when traveling and could not stand it as everyone was doing the same, and i felt it killed the "soul" of what tango is.

on the other hand I found a milonga in Buenos Aires away from the tourist areas, and in it people (of all ages) were improvising and doing there own thing, and it was some of the most amazing Tango dancing i've seen my whole life. Everyone's spirit seemed so free, like it should be. I wish everyone here would visit that place if they ever go to south america!

Dancing does free the self!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsila For This Post:

Davidallany (2nd August 2011)

18. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    My wife Rosaline is African / Cameroon
    She says I dance OK for a white man.
    I suppose being a bass guitarist helps.

Chris
    While I am also a white musician (well "musically oriented" to be accurate), I was told once I danced like I was being electrocuted - but I was at a rave, so I think that worked .. not sure ... Had fun anyways
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 2nd August 2011 at 00:24. Reason: added "white"
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Tane Mahuta (2nd August 2011)

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Wow, guys, thank you so much for all these wonderful posts. I will be chewing on these videos for a while.
    If our night wasn't constantly lit up by bright lights, we would be able to see the stars.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Armen For This Post:

Davidallany (2nd August 2011)

22. Link to Post #33
    New Zealand Avalon Member Tane Mahuta's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 726 posts

Watch me dance.....my way!!

This guy here stole my style!! LOL

TM
    "Seek the Truth.....and the Truth shall set you free!!!"

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tane Mahuta For This Post:

Davidallany (2nd August 2011), DeDukshyn (2nd August 2011)

24. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Svetlana Zakharova - Revelation

I know nothing about Svetlana Zakharova but she's an exquisite dancer. It's haunting in its beauty and its sadness. I feel privileged to have seen this.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

Miller (27th September 2011)

26. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

c'est beau, impressionant et incroyable!

27. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

They got rhythm.

Let's Dance

Riverdance Show 19 - Starring Jean Butler and Colin Dunne

Excelente Derbake Ambar

How do belly dancers keep their skirts up?
    Last edited by Snowbird; 23rd March 2012 at 00:21.
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snowbird For This Post:

Calz (23rd March 2012), RunningDeer (23rd March 2012), Samsara (23rd March 2012), sandy (23rd March 2012)

29. Link to Post #37
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 times in 355 posts

No one can dance and sing like Earth, Wind and Fire. Check them out and see for yourself.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DbQrq...reply_received

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cilka For This Post:

Calz (23rd March 2012), RunningDeer (23rd March 2012), Samsara (23rd March 2012), Snowbird (23rd March 2012)

31. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Beautiful Snowbird

Much more uplifting than squabbles over "proof" and "channeling" eh???

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Earth Angel (23rd March 2012), RunningDeer (23rd March 2012), Samsara (23rd March 2012), Snowbird (23rd March 2012)

33. Link to Post #39
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Don't protest! Dance!

I was there!
    Last edited by Tony; 23rd July 2012 at 12:10.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

crested-duck (23rd July 2012), Lettherebelight (23rd July 2012), Marsila (23rd July 2012)

35. Link to Post #40
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Now the ladies' turn...really beautiful.

Last edited by Tony; 23rd July 2012 at 12:11.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

crested-duck (23rd July 2012), Draco (23rd July 2012), Lettherebelight (23rd July 2012), selinam (24th July 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast