Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 4 7 LastLast

Thread: Dance, dance, dance....

1. Link to Post #61
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Default Re: Dance, dance, dance....

Ernie,

You must start dancing and don't come back until you can do this!

Naga Sita Cave Ritual

Last edited by Constance; 3rd July 2019 at 08:52. Reason: Fixed youtube formatting :)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Cara (29th June 2019), Constance (3rd July 2019), Dennis Leahy (29th June 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (30th June 2019), Inaiá (30th June 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Olam (1st July 2019), Patient (29th June 2019)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Searcher,

Allow me to add a very short animation here, by a brilliant animator, Ryan Woodward:

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Cara (30th June 2019), Constance (3rd July 2019), Ernie Nemeth (30th June 2019), Inaiá (30th June 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), lightwalker (30th June 2019), Olam (1st July 2019), Patient (29th June 2019), Rosemarie (30th June 2019), RunningDeer (29th August 2022), sunwings (21st July 2019)

5. Link to Post #63
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 times in 673 posts

I used to enjoy contra dancing as a teenager back in the 70s. The last time I went to one was around the spring of 97.
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Cara (30th June 2019), Constance (3rd July 2019), Ernie Nemeth (30th June 2019)

7. Link to Post #64
    United States Avalon Member lightwalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 times in 155 posts

Great thread. I work at an assisted living doing activities in a secure unit with dementia/Alzheimer residents. This past month I have been showing them dance. All kinds from Fred Astaire/Gene Kelly to waltz, foxtrot, tango, swing, hip hop, square dance, ballet, tap, modern, etc. I found out that the original break dancing was from the 30's. When we have entertainment and Elvis' "All Shook Up" is played I just have to get up and dance....the whole room of walkers and wheel chairs changes. I dance with those in their wheel chairs and some who can just about move. May I never get tired of dancing with my residents.

lightwalker

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lightwalker For This Post:

Cara (30th June 2019), Constance (3rd July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (30th June 2019), Inaiá (30th June 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Olam (1st July 2019)

9. Link to Post #65
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

Thanks everyone for the wonderful dance moments shared

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Ernie,

You must start dancing and don't come back until you can do this!

Naga Sita Cave Ritual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbRY-iPzR18
    Well, what can I say to this?

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Searcher,

Allow me to add a very short animation here, by a brilliant animator, Ryan Woodward: ...
    Dennis, this is lovely and reminds me of some of the loveliest ballet pas de deux - beautiful and flowing.

Quote Posted by gord (here)
    I used to enjoy contra dancing as a teenager back in the 70s. The last time I went to one was around the spring of 97.
    gord, please tell us more what contra dancing is! I have not heard of this. Any videos you can share?

Quote Posted by lightwalker (here)
    Great thread. I work at an assisted living doing activities in a secure unit with dementia/Alzheimer residents. This past month I have been showing them dance. All kinds from Fred Astaire/Gene Kelly to waltz, foxtrot, tango, swing, hip hop, square dance, ballet, tap, modern, etc. I found out that the original break dancing was from the 30's. When we have entertainment and Elvis' "All Shook Up" is played I just have to get up and dance....the whole room of walkers and wheel chairs changes. I dance with those in their wheel chairs and some who can just about move. May I never get tired of dancing with my residents.

lightwalker
    Lightwalker, this is heartwarming, thank you for sharing
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (3rd July 2019), Ernie Nemeth (5th July 2019)

11. Link to Post #66
    Language
    English
    Thanks

So, some more magical dance moments...

I have been looking for videos that show some traditional / folk dances but not in a way that they are somehow the same as preserving a specimen in a museum. Instead, I wanted to find some dancers that are embodying folk dancing in a fresh, vibrant and alive way.

So, I found two that I like:

1. This first one is some Sicilians dancing in a folk style... they’re not in any kind of costume and they seem to be having fun! I particularly like the little moments of chaos when people have seemingly forgotten what’s next and scramble a bit to get back to the pattern. I also laughed at the exasperation of some of the girls with their partners - reminds me of myself with my husband

2. And this one seems to be a modern Hungarian take on gypsy dancing. They’re dancing in what looks like a town square for some kind of festival, so it’s definitely a performance of some kind - but it’s remarkably relaxed and happy one. They’re super energetic and they seem to be having a blast! When I was a little girl, I always wanted a “twirly” skirt... they seem to be wearing exactly such imagined skirts

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (3rd July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (19th July 2019), Inaiá (1st July 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Olam (1st July 2019)

13. Link to Post #67
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

For all those who like to boogy, shuffle, waltz, tango, tap feet..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (5th July 2019)

15. Link to Post #68
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Well, if you have always wondered what it is like to be a ballet dancer off stage, here is a chance to see a little.... most days for a professional dancer will begin with Company Class.

Here is the Scottish Ballet with a recorded live stream of their company class:

Also, if you are a dancer, or would like to be, join in

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (7th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019)

17. Link to Post #69
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 311 posts

This man from China dancing with his 2 granddaughters always brings a smile to my face.

School principal dancing with students to promote excercise
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th August 2019), Bluegreen (24th July 2019), Cara (8th July 2019), Constance (7th July 2019), Ernie Nemeth (10th July 2019), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), petra (26th August 2019), tessfreq (19th July 2019), xidaijena (30th August 2022)

19. Link to Post #70
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rosemarie (here)
    This man from China dancing with his 2 granddaughters always brings a smile to my face.

School principal dancing with students to promote excercise
    Super cool! Thanks Rosemarie....

I love the school dancing and wish we had had something like that when I was there. Even better is how all the teachers do it too . Instead we had to sing monotonous songs (not that I mind singing but these songs were very dreary); how much more fun to have dancing!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (8th July 2019), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Rosemarie (10th July 2019)

21. Link to Post #71
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Here is a very interesting short documentary exploring the rhythm of daily life, movement and dance. It is apparently filmed in Mali (according to one of the comments).

FOLI (there is no movement without rhythm) original version by Thomas Roebers and Floris Leeuwenberg

From the description:
    Quote Life has a rhythm, it's constantly moving.
    The word for rhythm ( used by the Malinke tribes ) is FOLI.
    It is a word that encompasses so much more than drumming, dancing or sound.
    It's found in every part of daily life.
    In this film you not only hear and feel rhythm but you see it.
    It's an extraordinary blend of image and sound that
    feeds the senses and reminds us all
    how essential it is.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (10th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (10th July 2019), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Rosemarie (10th July 2019)

23. Link to Post #72
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

~

Who says white guys can’t dance ?

~

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Cara (10th July 2019), Constance (10th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ernie Nemeth (10th July 2019), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Rosemarie (10th July 2019)

25. Link to Post #73
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Deux Corbeaux (here)
    ~

Who says white guys can’t dance ?

~
    This is such a fascinating video - I have heard before how intelligent birds are but this is just astounding. Thank you for sharing.

Gives new meaning to the photographers call: "watch the birdie"

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (12th July 2019), Deux Corbeaux (11th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), petra (26th August 2019), Rosemarie (11th July 2019)

27. Link to Post #74
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Fantastic Cossack dance.... this man is lithe, athletic, balancing uncontainable and very controlled. Really amazing!

Quote performs the dance Alexander Medvedev.
    Russian combat dance
    Battle dance - a single, double or group form of self-expression with the rhythm accentual beginning, which contains elements of combat training.
    Place squatting - a section of the ordinary, traditional Russian dancing men. Fighter prepares for battle lying down, sitting and squatting. The rider fell from the horse, using the technique of combat squatting, could escape from the saber stroke, knock out the enemy and claim the seat of his horse, going to slip under the belly of the horse undercutting her groin. At the foot dance battle squatting used to fight in the flea market and in case of a fall to the ground.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (17th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019)

29. Link to Post #75
    Language
    English
    Thanks

From an article on our seeming innate need to dance:

Quote The dancing species: how moving together in time helps make us human
    Kimerer LaMothe
    04 June, 2019

What if humans are the primates whose capacity to dance (shared by some birds and mammals) was the signature strategy enabling the evolution of a distinctively large and interconnected brain, empathic heart and ecological adaptability? And what if dancing plays this role for humans not just in prehistoric times, but continuing into the present? What if humans are creatures who evolved to dance as the enabling condition of their own bodily becoming?

Recent evidence for such a thesis is gathering across scientific and scholarly disciplines. Time and again, researchers are discovering the vital role played by bodily movement not only in the evolution of the human species, but in the present-day social and psychological development of healthy individuals. Moreover, it is not just bodily movement itself that registers as vital in these cases, but a threefold capacity: to notice and recreate movement patterns; to remember and share movement patterns; and to mobilise these movement patterns as a means for sensing and responding to whatever appears. This threefold capacity is what every dance technique or tradition exercises and educates.
    In this sense, a human being is what I call a rhythm of bodily becoming. A human is always creating patterns of bodily movement, where every new movement unfolds along an open-ended trajectory made possible by movements already made. Dancing can be seen as a means of participating in this rhythm of bodily becoming.
    Recent research on mirror neurons further supports the idea that humans have a unique capacity to notice, recreate and remember patterns of movement. More abundant in the human brain than any other mammalian brain, mirror neurons fire when a person notices a movement, recreating the pattern of neuromuscular coordination needed to make that movement. In this way, humans can learn to recreate the movement of others - not only other humans, but also trees and giraffes, predators and prey, fire, rivers and the Sun. As the neuroscientist V S Ramachandran writes in his book The Tell-Tale Brain (2011), mirror neurons 'appear to be the evolutionary key to our attainment of full-fledged culture' by allowing humans 'to adopt each other's point of view and empathise with one another'.
    From: https://aeon.co/ideas/the-dancing-sp...-make-us-human

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (19th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Rosemarie (9th August 2019)

31. Link to Post #76
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Another fascinating article on dance... dancing with a partner can prevent altzheimers... one more reason to dance!

Quote The Best Means of Avoiding Alzheimer's Is Dance?
    By Juliette Siegfried

That seems to be the gist of a new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The research, led by neurologist Dr. Joe Verghese at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, followed elderly subjects over an impressive 21-year period to determine which activities most improved their sharpness of mind, and thus staved off the debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s disease.

The scientists, working under the assumption that the old saying “Use it or lose it” is extremely accurate when it comes to brain function, studied a number of activities that subjects engaged in to see which ones best improved their cognitive functions. These activities included reading books, doing crossword puzzles, playing cards, writing for pleasure, and playing a musical instrument. They also included physical activities such as swimming, bicycling, playing tennis or golf, walking for exercise, doing housework, and dancing.

Based on previous research, they expected doing crossword puzzles to score highly, and they did, producing a 47% lower risk of dementia. Reading produced a 35% reduced risk. To the researchers’ surprise, forms of exercise such as playing golf, bicycling, and swimming produced a 0% lower risk of Alzheimer’s – no effect at all. But an even bigger surprise was that regularly engaging in social dancing lowered the seniors’ risk of dementia by a staggering 76%.

Why would dancing have such a profound effect on aging brains?

The theory proposed by Dr. Verghese and his fellow researchers is that social dance is an activity that activates and takes advantage of our brains’ neuroplasticity. That is, according to Dr. Joseph Coyle, a commentator on the study, “The cerebral cortex and hippocampus, which are critical to these activities [greater cognitive reserve and increased complexity of neuronal synapses], are remarkably plastic, and they rewire themselves based upon their use.”

When the aging process causes our brain cells to begin to die off, our memory of nouns (like the names of people we know and love) often go first, because there is only one neural pathway connected to that bit of stored information. If that neural connection is lost, so is access to the piece of information it pointed to. It’s like taking the same well-worn path through a forest, and one day not being able to find the entrance to that path. In patients suffering from dementia, even if they can physically see their destination, they sometimes can’t figure out how to get there, because they’ve forgotten how to find the path they were accustomed to take.

The key to avoiding this, in the researchers’ opinion, is to continually forge new neural pathways. And the way to do this is to constantly challenge the mind and force it to make split-second, rapid-fire decisions. Each of these decisions has the effect of creating greater cognitive reserve and a more complex network of neuronal synapses. In short, the more pathways your brain has to the information stored in it, the more accessible that information becomes, and the less likely you are to forget it.

But again, why dancing?

Dance, especially ballroom dance and other forms that involve cooperation between two partners – one leading and the other following, or both following not just preset steps but having the ability to improvise – causes the very rapid-fire decision-making that forges new neural pathways. The researchers emphasize that not all forms of dancing will accomplish this; for example, types of dance that rely on retracing the same memorized steps will form no new connections in the brain. Improvements to cognitive function occur when we learn something new, something we haven’t done before. The dancers in the recent study who showed the most resistance to dementia practiced what is referred to as freestyle social dancing – foxtrot, waltz, swing, tango, and Latin dance.

In the 21-year study, seniors who danced regularly showed more resistance to dementia than those who only danced occasionally; just as with doing crossword puzzles, more is better. Those who “changed partners” more often benefitted more than those who stuck with the same dance partner, possibly because they had to adjust to the new partner and make more split-second decisions to adapt to their different style.

Interestingly enough, women may benefit slightly more than men from social dancing, because they follow their male partner’s lead, and thus are constantly having to make rapid-fire decisions. But this piece of information can help the men, too. By becoming more attentive to your partner’s style and constantly adjusting your own to insure their comfort and continuity of motion, you can become not only a better dancer, but improve your brain’s cognitive abilities as well.
    From: https://www.healthguidance.org/entry...-is-dance.html

Grab your partner by the hand

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (19th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019)

33. Link to Post #77
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Dance Hall Days, Love!
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Cara (20th July 2019), Constance (19th July 2019), Deux Corbeaux (20th July 2019), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019)

35. Link to Post #78
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Where the hell is Matt?

This great soul danced his way through 42 countries, and in doing so, recruited a cast of thousands.

His work was so contagious and so much fun that he ended up doing it all over again!
    Be the reason someone smiles. Be the reason someone feels loved and believes in the goodness in people. Roy T. Bennett

Where the Hell is Matt? 2008
    Last edited by Constance; 24th July 2019 at 02:37.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Cara (24th July 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Forest Denizen (24th July 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Rosemarie (9th August 2019), what is a name? (9th August 2019)

37. Link to Post #79
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Rewiring the brain through movement and dance

From the impossible to the possible.

Italian journalist Federico suffered from severe dystonia which would have ordinarily have required neurosurgery. It seems that creativity, improvisation, a passion and brain plasticity won the day.

From Dystonia To Dance

You can watch more of his story on Tedtalk
    Last edited by Constance; 5th August 2019 at 01:21.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

anandacate (17th August 2019), Cara (5th August 2019), Forest Denizen (5th August 2019), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Rosemarie (9th August 2019)

39. Link to Post #80
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Only in Tokyo.... the empire strikes back, with dance

And a more recent one.... the empire is looking a little bedraggled here...

Last edited by Cara; 8th August 2019 at 15:23.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Constance (8th August 2019), EFO (23rd July 2020), Ivanhoe (9th August 2019), Rosemarie (9th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 4 7 LastLast