1. Link to Post #101
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

Default Re: The 'censorship' discussion

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    I've uploaded a few videos to youtube and I don't allow comments because apparently everyone that comments on youtube videos are morons. I don't want to deal with their bull****. Censorship? Yes, and thank god it's an option.
    Yes, thank god that is an option. But that censorship is done by you, on your own channel, taking control of your own content. This matter is quite different.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Clarity (14th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,560 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by Jad (here)
    Bill have you ever considered making the whole forum private and not just some threads? That extra step to view the content might be a blessing in disguise.
    I actually thought of posting that as a rhetorical question, to continue to make the point.

Like:
    Some people here think that making a small part of Avalon private is 'censorship'.

So would making the whole forum private also be censorship, but far, far worse?

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Clarity (14th July 2019), Constance (12th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Forest Denizen (12th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Jad (12th July 2019), justntime2learn (12th July 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019), Tintin (12th July 2019), Yoda (12th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #103
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,560 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Feeling very uncomfortable about posting now, just to let you all know. I so don’t like to be misread.
    The forum has changed so much from how I knew it, I now regret that I returned after my two year absense. Once I lose trust I’m gone.
    The main change is that the forum has become [partly] politicized. It was never meant to be a platform for partisan political debate.

It's only a very few people who have been pushing this. Maybe a better solution would be to close all the political threads. (We could do that, too. I'm not saying that just as a joke.)

So for anyone reading this, ask yourself whether you (not addressed just to Ulli, but to anyone) might be part of the problem, by continually beating political drums.

Really, really, really think about that. That's a sincere request.

6. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (12th July 2019), Clarity (14th July 2019), Constance (12th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), enfoldedblue (12th July 2019), Ernie Nemeth (12th July 2019), Forest Denizen (12th July 2019), Franny (12th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Gracy (12th July 2019), Ivanhoe (12th July 2019), Kate (13th July 2019), Kryztian (13th July 2019), loungelizard (12th July 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th July 2019), Matthew (13th July 2019), muxfolder (12th July 2019), Orobo (14th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019), Tintin (12th July 2019), Wind (13th July 2019), Yoda (12th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #104
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,171 times in 2,420 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Bill have you ever considered making the whole forum private and not just some threads? That extra step to view the content might be a blessing in disguise.
    I actually thought of posting that as a rhetorical question, to continue to make the point.

Like:
    Some people here think that making a small part of Avalon private is 'censorship'.

If you were to take such an action it would need to happen in a way that was consistent with the principles of the forum.

Also, there would be the problem of many people feeling as if there has been a "break in trust" in that the overall historical agreement was to keep the information open and easily accessible.

This would become an issue apart from the "censorship" question.
    Last edited by edina; 12th July 2019 at 14:21.
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #105
    Language
    English
    Thanks

An interesting point. I wouldn't count making the whole forum private as censorship. Censorship is more cherry-picking what you do or don't want visible. Blanket privacy however would definitely be a disservice to the viewing public at large. When you remove their access to the content, you remove any incentive to join.

It would also turn Avalon into a sort of private club, accessed only by special referral. Applications would likely be few and far between. This would lead to intellectual and spiritual stagnation. A true echo chamber. To stay alive, as it always has, Avalon needs a constant flow of information, of ideas and energy, and for that its needs a constant flow of people. Just my opinion.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), Gemma13 (12th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Ivanhoe (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), muxfolder (12th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019)

11. Link to Post #106
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,099 times in 889 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Feeling very uncomfortable about posting now, just to let you all know. I so don’t like to be misread.
    The forum has changed so much from how I knew it, I now regret that I returned after my two year absense. Once I lose trust I’m gone.
    The main change is that the forum has become [partly] politicized. It was never meant to be a platform for partisan political debate.

It's only a very few people who have been pushing this. Maybe a better solution would be to close all the political threads. (We could do that, too. I'm not saying that just as a joke.)

So for anyone reading this, ask yourself whether you (not addressed just to Ulli, but to anyone) might be part of the problem, by continually beating political drums.

Bill,I thank you for this post ,because of the clarifying position you have about Avalon not being a platform for partisan polititcal debate.I didnt knew that for sure,now i do. To close all political threads would be a pity in my personal view,but it would indeed neutralize the feelings of choosing sides and biased 'censorship'. Btw i find this a most interesting and refreshing debate.Thanx everybody for being so involved,it warms my heart

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), Deux Corbeaux (12th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Hym (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), Tintin (12th July 2019)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I understand why you'd want to do that Bill, I really do. And part of me agrees, 100%. I don't like the beating of those drums either - I've never owned a drum or any drumsticks of my own. But I imagine it'd be a thankless task to moderate every political discussion of every single kind across the board, because so many things, one way or another, come back to politics.

What you're trying to do is discipline an unruly classroom after the fight has broken out. Ideally, more rigorous rules of conduct need to be laid down before the students walk in. Not to impose obedience or conditioning, but to inculcate a standard of what is expected. Something that promotes self-moderation.

Usually Avalon is very good at that. It's a very kind, open, and nurturing space. Q I think has been it's most difficult test. People have drawn lines in the sand, and that's wrong. And I mean that for both sides of the argument. Enlightened civilizations don't even have any lines - not from what I understand. They don't even have politics. The people govern themselves, by governing their own actions, and interactions, and by taking responsibility. I'd much rather see that beginning to take shoot on Avalon once again, rather than the teacher's stick coming out.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Clarity (14th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Hym (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), mountain_jim (14th July 2019), muxfolder (12th July 2019), Wind (13th July 2019)

15. Link to Post #108
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Paul wasn't just publicly protecting the Q thread from dissent, he controlled it from the admin/mod standpoint as well.

As Bill has already told everyone, Paul wasn't listening to Bill either. I think it is wonderful that a number of people are praising Paul for all the work he did - he put in more hours than you could believe - but the reality is that Paul did create a huge problem by protecting the Q thread from dissent. Protected, some members (like that "Voice_" guy) started taking the alt-right trump pep rally out into other various threads, and a forum exodus of frustrated, fed-up, long-time members began.

The reason Bill has asked me several times to come back into the mods and help out is because he knows I'll be honest, and will not shy away from something just because it is uncomfortable.
    So you were asked to come back as a moderator to help out? Personally, I find it rather strange that someone with such strong, emotional opinions about the topic would be selected to deal with the Q issue since a moderator is supposed to maintain an unbiased approach.
    It is quite peculiar, then, that Paul was not being held up to those very same standards by the QAnon fans, while it seems perfectly fine with them to slag Dennis.

Ahhh, those double standards are so convenient, aren't they?

Last edited by Frank V; 12th July 2019 at 15:13.

16. Link to Post #109
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Quote Posted by Aragorn (here)
    Paul wasn't just publicly protecting the Q thread from dissent, he controlled it from the admin/mod standpoint as well.

As Bill has already told everyone, Paul wasn't listening to Bill either. I think it is wonderful that a number of people are praising Paul for all the work he did - he put in more hours than you could believe - but the reality is that Paul did create a huge problem by protecting the Q thread from dissent. Protected, some members (like that "Voice_" guy) started taking the alt-right trump pep rally out into other various threads, and a forum exodus of frustrated, fed-up, long-time members began.

The reason Bill has asked me several times to come back into the mods and help out is because he knows I'll be honest, and will not shy away from something just because it is uncomfortable.
    So you were asked to come back as a moderator to help out? Personally, I find it rather strange that someone with such strong, emotional opinions about the topic would be selected to deal with the Q issue since a moderator is supposed to maintain an unbiased approach.
    It is quite peculiar, then, that Paul was not being held up to those very same standards by the QAnon fans, while it seems perfectly fine with them to slag Dennis.

I do not represent Q anon fans. What I say is my opinion only. Isn't the ability to be unbiased and unemotional a good trait while moderating? I would certainly think so. I know if I was a moderator I would never moderate sights related to Veganism or animal cruelty because I would not be able to to be objective, unbiased and unemotional. You read a lot in there that I didn't say.

I find it interesting that it seems hard to understand that something can be defended on principal without being a part of it.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Clarity (14th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), mountain_jim (14th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019)

18. Link to Post #110
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,405 times in 5,642 posts

Quote I do not represent Q anon fans. What I say is my opinion only. Isn't the ability to be unbiased and unemotional a good trait while moderating?

Quote It was never meant to be a platform for partisan political debate.
    Hi Bill,
    Im sorry if it was any doing on my part that caused angst to anyone but do have a question thats seems begging to be asked. Doesn'tt the responses provided by the mods/admin in this very thread sound political

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), Pam (13th July 2019)

20. Link to Post #111
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

I do not represent Q anon fans. What I say is my opinion only. Isn't the ability to be unbiased and unemotional a good trait while moderating? I would certainly think so. I know if I was a moderator I would never moderate sights related to Veganism or animal cruelty because I would not be able to to be objective, unbiased and unemotional. You read a lot in there that I didn't say.
    Okay, fair enough. Thanks for clarifying your vantage. But you are (obviously) not the only person who's been "criticizing" Dennis ─ and that's a euphemism for what has been going on here lately ─ and it is all too obvious that (certain) people aren't willing to give him the same credit as they've given Paul.

Not only that, but they're even overextending the credit given to Paul ─ and for the record, I am speaking of his role as a staff member on account of the QAnon threads now, because Paul certainly does deserve credit for his technical contributions to Project Avalon as an administrator.

I find it interesting that it seems hard to understand that something can be defended on principal without being a part of it.
    But isn't that what Dennis was doing, then? As I understand him ─ and I think I understand him very well ─ he was only defending Project Avalon's neutrality in this matter.

21. Link to Post #112
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 times in 1,413 posts

Like:

No... I think it'd be better.

I don't call that censorship... I call that "privileged information"

If you were privatize ALL the content, robots won't be able to secretly download / catalogue / analyze it (unless they have an account). I imagine it'd be obvious to Admins here if I tried to download/catalogue the entire Member Only area.

I didn't need to read any postings before I joined either. The introduction on the main page, and referral from a friend were enough to make me know I wanted to join.

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    An interesting point. I wouldn't count making the whole forum private as censorship. Censorship is more cherry-picking what you do or don't want visible. Blanket privacy however would definitely be a disservice to the viewing public at large. When you remove their access to the content, you remove any incentive to join.

It would also turn Avalon into a sort of private club, accessed only by special referral. Applications would likely be few and far between. This would lead to intellectual and spiritual stagnation. A true echo chamber. To stay alive, as it always has, Avalon needs a constant flow of information, of ideas and energy, and for that its needs a constant flow of people. Just my opinion.
    I read this part afterward, and this is a really good point - there's probably a good many member applications due to the public postings - I just wasn't one of them.
    Last edited by petra; 12th July 2019 at 16:24.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019)

23. Link to Post #113
    United States Avalon Member Jad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 times in 283 posts

[I][B] Maybe a better solution would be to close all the political threads. (We could do that, too. I'm not saying that just as a joke.)

Thanks for letting us know that you are considering closing all the political threads. I genuinely appreciate your transparency about this issue. I hope that you don’t go through with it though because the political issues are part of our human experience on earth, and we can’t just pretend it doesn’t exist. As for the Q material, now that it’s in the members area, can we put it under one section called Q research and we can put a red disclaimer on top that states that Project Avalon and BR don’t endorse any of this information just like what’s happening on the channeling thread. Again I’m not pro Q or Trump or any politician, but I think the data is very important and who knows it might be beneficial in the future as a case study.

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jad For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Clarity (14th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), Deux Corbeaux (12th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Hym (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), justntime2learn (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), Valerie Villars (12th July 2019)

25. Link to Post #114
    Language
    English
    Thanks

But isn't that what Dennis was doing, then? As I understand him ─ and I think I understand him very well ─ he was only defending Project Avalon's neutrality in this matter.
    Defending neutrality..? It's the exact opposite. In taking this stance, neutrality has been abolished. It's unfathomable to me that this point is just not getting across.

And yes I see the other side of the fence. Paul probably did plant his flag too deep in the ground on the side of Q. He should, with hindsight, have taken a more even stance himself; contribute where he thought it apt, and moderate, as was his job, where necessary. Mistakes have been made, on both sides, but that's all said and done now. Regrettably, to Avalon's vast detriment, he has gone. How to set about picking up the pieces is what's important now. I don't see a whole lot of positive feedback to that effect taking place in this thread right now. And I include Dennis in that as well.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), gini (12th July 2019), Hym (12th July 2019), Jad (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), justntime2learn (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), Pam (13th July 2019), petra (12th July 2019), PurpleLama (12th July 2019)

27. Link to Post #115
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Defending neutrality..? It's the exact opposite. In taking this stance, neutrality has been abolished. It's unfathomable to me that this point is just not getting across.

And yes I see the other side of the fence. Paul probably did plant his flag too deep in the ground on the side of Q. He should, with hindsight, have taken a more even stance himself; contribute where he thought it apt, and moderate, as was his job, where necessary. Mistakes have been made, on both sides, but that's all said and done now. Regrettably, to Avalon's vast detriment, he has gone. How to set about picking up the pieces is what's important now. I don't see a whole lot of positive feedback to that effect taking place in this thread right now. And I include Dennis in that as well.
    Keep in mind, on Aragorn's forum, all Q threads are under the subforum "known hoaxes", so his assessments are rather unadmittedly slanted around this whole issue.

I like Dennis and Paul, and I've never had any significant disagreement with either of them. That said, in my less than vigilant observation of their interaction with the various aspects of the discussion around Q, Paul's approach seemed the more balanced, the less emotional, of the two. At various times I would find myself in agreement with either man, and no respect was lost from me for either in the event of any opinions expressed that I happened to disagree with. We already lost Paul over this matter, and I wouldn't run Dennis off over what should rapidly be becoming water under the bridge, so to speak.

28. Link to Post #116
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by PurpleLama (here)

Keep in mind, on Aragorn's forum, all Q threads are under the subforum "known hoaxes", so his assessments are rather unadmittedly slanted around this whole issue.

I like Dennis and Paul, and I've never had any significant disagreement with either of them. That said, in my less than vigilant observation of their interaction with the various aspects of the discussion around Q, Paul's approach seemed the more balanced, the less emotional, of the two. At various times I would find myself in agreement with either man, and no respect was lost from me for either in the event of any opinions expressed that I happened to disagree with. We already lost Paul over this matter, and I wouldn't run Dennis off over what should rapidly be becoming water under the bridge, so to speak.
    Yes agree totality. I also have a great deal of respect and admiration for Dennis and Paul and everyone else. It's unfortunate they ended up locking horns on this issue.

I just think that emotion has thrown too much of its weight into reaching conclusions and making decisions, and that's also unfortunate. That's really the point I was trying to make: let's uphold neutrality/transparency and maintain an equitable point of view, at least until the jury is completely out. And I guess that's the crux of the issue. The jury is not out on Q. Not with many of us - we're still working on this - and that needs to be respected (but isn't).
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Clarity (14th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Hym (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), justntime2learn (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), PurpleLama (12th July 2019)

30. Link to Post #117
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

Seems that Q ,in disguise , is still occupying most of the space on the front page of the forum--- smiling
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ClearWater (12th July 2019), DeDukshyn (16th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Frank V (12th July 2019), Ivanhoe (13th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th July 2019), PurpleLama (12th July 2019), Wind (13th July 2019)

32. Link to Post #118
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,171 times in 2,420 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Seems that Q ,in disguise , is still occupying most of the space on the front page of the forum--- smiling
    Chris
    This conversation is supposed to be about censorship.

It seems Bill is considering some changes in how the forum will operate.

I think he's putting this out to listen to people's thoughts on the issue.

The action taken regarding the Q threads seemed to have served as a catalyst for rethinking and maybe re-imagining Avalon.

It's understandable the catalyst for the topic would slip into the topic itself.

I may add I consider this a very healthy process.
    Last edited by edina; 12th July 2019 at 17:37.
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Clarity (14th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), greybeard (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), justntime2learn (12th July 2019), Lost N Found (12th July 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th July 2019), mojo (12th July 2019), PurpleLama (12th July 2019), Wind (13th July 2019)

34. Link to Post #119
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

It's strange that there is an easy consensus around the Blue Chicken cult and Emery Smith's bogus material, but there is a stubborn resistance by Q-cultists to recognize Q-anon is just as silly and even more counter-productive.

It's astonishing to me that simply making hoax material for members only has engendered such howls of anguish and sorrow. It's as if Bill Ryan has stolen a Mormon's sacred underpants and forbidden them from going door to door.

Some people have to just get a grip and get a life!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), Frank V (12th July 2019)

36. Link to Post #120
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,263 times in 2,725 posts

I found it interesting that the Q threads were move to members only right after Q was proven hoax beyond doubt. I am against any form of hiding. Including Q thread and I am anti Q right from start. "Let the children learn from their mistakes as long as it does not put them in grave danger". that's is one of my principles which I think applies to Q phenom as well. Is Q putting members in grave danger?

No to all banning, political or otherwise. Let the members learn from experience rather than curtail freedom which is wrong beyond doubt.

So my question to myself; What did I learn from this?

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Belle (12th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (13th July 2019), edina (12th July 2019), Jayke (12th July 2019), justntime2learn (12th July 2019), PurpleLama (12th July 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 6 16 21 LastLast