+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sulforaphane - the miracle compound you've never heard of - maybe

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

Default Sulforaphane - the miracle compound you've never heard of - maybe

A friend of mine recently told me she's gearing up to grow and sell sprouts in her town and area at farmers markets. Not just as a cash crop but for her families health. Not a bad idea!

Part of the reason she is getting involved is she's concerned about being able to feed her family due to the possible upcoming Solar Minimum and the heavy weather that has decimated many food crops across the US.

Sulforaphane - the miracle compound you've never heard of - maybe

There’s an active phyto-compound found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, mustard seed, kale, etc. that you’re going to want to know more about, if you aren’t already familiar with it. Sulforaphane is cancer preventative, promotes heart health, induces better brain functioning in autistic children, slows aging, and acts as a powerful nootropic, halting inflammatory factors in the body linked to everything from depression to obesity.

It’s an absolute powerhouse, but you have to use it correctly. Dr. Rhonda Patrick passionately discussed sulforpahane at length in an interview recently, but following are the highlights.

A Precursor Nutrient

Sulforaphane is a precursor nutrient. Meaning, when it enters the body, it starts out as something else and is processed into the super beneficial compound which can stop cancerous tumors from doubling, and help diabetics to balance their blood sugar levels, among hundreds of other clinically-proven health benefits. It is stored as a precursor, and only because bio-active if it is chopped or chewed.

Essentially, the plant fibers have to break down for sulforaphane to be released. This happens due to the plant’s natural immune response, and as a way to protect itself from being chomped by insects, or other pests. Once the plant fibers are broken (as when we chew our food) the plant compounds enter our bodies as sulforaphane.

The Incredible Benefits of Sulforaphane

There are literally hundreds of health benefits for this plant compound, but some mentioned enthusiastically in the interview include:

– 7-30 mgs a day of sulforaphane given daily to young adults with autism – improved their autistic scores by more than 30 percent, which are essentially just a measure of brain functioning . The same phenomenon happened in studies with people with schizophrenia. (studies doen at John’s Hopkins)
    – Alleviates depression better than Prozac
    – Profound effect on inflammation. Switches on NRF-2 that controls over 200 different genes. No other naturally occurring plant compound is as potent and can switch on this pathway to affect our health so profoundly. Inflammation also plays a causal role in depression and so many other diseases, but sulforaphane simply blows inflammation out of the water.
    – Cancer preventative. Slows the doubling rate of prostate cancer by 86%.
    – For smokers sulforaphane causes them to excrete up to 60% of the carcinogenic, benzene, but it can also do the same for people who don’t smoke but are exposed to benzene and other carcinogens in the air, water, soil, etc.
    – Helps diabetics return to normal blood sugar level
    – Has a profound ability to slow the aging process
    – Reduces chronic health risks

The Best Source of Sulforaphane

The precursors to sulforaphane are available in any cruciferous vegetable:

– Broccoli
    – Kale
    – Cauliflower
    – Brussels Sprouts
    – Arugula
    – Bok Choy
    – Daikon
    – Kohlrabi
    – Horseradish
    – Komatsuna
    – Collard Greens
    – Mustard
    – Radish
    – Rutabaga
    – Wasabi
    – Mustard (leaves and seed)
    – Turnips (roots and greens)

The absolute best source of sulforaphane, however, is in broccoli sprouts. Broccoli sprouts contains hundreds of times more sulforaphane than mature broccoli. Broccoli sprouts are better than blueberries, mature cruciferous vegetables and a host of other super foods.

Another tip from Dr. Patrick is to freeze the sprouts, and then blend them in a smoothie. The freezing of the plant leafs cause them to break down, making more sulforaphane, as does the blending.

This makes the most amount of the compound available to the body as possible. She tells Joe Rogan in the interview that you can watch below starting at around minute 32, that she found she needed half the dose when freezing her broccoli sprouts to get the same effect. She also said that those who routinely blend broccoli sprouts into their smoothies will find that they get an extra boost of energy and altertness, akin to the feeling one gets after drinking coffee.

Dr. Patrick also advises that you eat your cruciferous vegetables raw, because another plant compound called myrosinase, which allows sulforaphane to be created in the body is destroyed by heat.

If you are going to saute your kale or steam your broccoli, you can add myrosinase back into the mix by simply sprinkling your cruciferous vegetables with fresh mustard seed powder, which is more heat-stable and full of myrosinase. Your body can then make the sulforapahane that is so beneficial.

Best Place to Source Sulforaphane

The doctor also states that growing your own is not only more economic, but that purchasing broccoli sprouts from your local grocery store is less healthy simply because as the sprouts sit out, they are more likely to attract non-beneficial bacteria, like e.coli.

Dr Patrick with Joe Rogan:

You can easily sprout your own broccoli seeds, and instead of paying $5 for one container (which often degrades quickly because it has likely been sitting for some time before you purchased the sprouts) you can purchase a 20-pound bag of organic broccoli seeds for around $20. This will allow you to grow hundreds of mason jars or containers full of sulforaphane-rich sprouts.

How to sprout broccoli seeds:
    Last edited by Franny; 13th August 2019 at 04:06.
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

astridmari (14th August 2019), Blacklight43 (13th August 2019), Cara (13th August 2019), DeeMetrios (13th August 2019), Deux Corbeaux (13th August 2019), enigma3 (13th August 2019), Harmony (27th June 2020), Hervé (13th August 2019), Ioneo (13th August 2019), Kryztian (13th August 2019), Lyran.Sun (13th October 2019), Nasu (13th August 2019), Ol' Roy (20th December 2019), onevoice (13th August 2019), Richard S. (13th August 2019), silver birch (13th August 2019), Sophocles (13th August 2019), Stephanie (14th August 2019), Sue (Ayt) (14th August 2019), toppy (13th August 2019), Valerie Villars (13th August 2019), Victoria (3rd September 2019), Wansen (13th August 2019), yelik (13th August 2019), Yvanka (13th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

Default Re: Sulforaphane - the miracle compound you've never heard of - maybe

Thank you Franny. I recently dug out my sprouting supplies and recently started sprouting again. I always thought that the little sprout seeds had to be grown in some type of flat medium or in soil, so I have only done the big beans (peas, chickpeas, aduki beans) that can be done in a jar. Seeing that broccoli sprouts can also be done in a jar, I am going to try this out and just ordered some online from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-Bro...Bw1uVuw <br />

Do you have a recipe for making the shakes or smoothies they are talking about? I do make smoothies, but I am wondering how much to add without overpowering the smoothies.
    Last edited by Kryztian; 13th August 2019 at 16:45.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Harmony (27th June 2020), Stephanie (14th August 2019), toppy (13th August 2019), Yvanka (13th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Hey Kryztian, that's great to see you're digging out the old sprouting jar and giving it another whirl.

I have never frozen sprouts and was surprised to see they were doing it but the reason is excellent so I'll give it a try.

No recipes; when I make smoothies it's just using what is available. The smoothie for today is frozen blueberries, soursop, bananas, lemon, calamansi, ginger, carrots, bitter melon and a handful of radish sprouts. It's a jumble, I know, but it's still rather tasty

The radish sprouts can overpower the taste but the broccoli sprouts aren't as strong so probably nothing to be too careful about. Have fun experimenting!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Harmony (27th June 2020), Kryztian (14th August 2019), Stephanie (14th August 2019), toppy (13th August 2019), Yvanka (13th August 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

Is this the same as Organic Sulfur or MSM?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Franny (13th August 2019), Harmony (27th June 2020), Kryztian (14th August 2019), Stephanie (14th August 2019), toppy (13th August 2019), Yvanka (13th August 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Hi Spade, this is what I found in regards to Sulforaphane, MSM and organic sulfur. Hope it helps!

Sulforaphane from wikipedia:
    Sulforaphane (sulphoraphane in British English) is a compound within the isothiocyanate group of organosulfur compounds.[1] It is obtained from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbages. It is produced when the enzyme myrosinase transforms glucoraphanin, a glucosinolate, into sulforaphane upon damage to the plant (such as from chewing), which allows the two compounds to mix and react. Young sprouts of broccoli and cauliflower are particularly rich in glucoraphanin.[1]

It's molecular formula is C6H11NOS2.

MSM from wikipedia:
    Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is an organosulfur compound with the formula (CH3)2SO2. It is also known by several other names including methyl sulfone and dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2).[2] This colorless solid features the sulfonyl functional group and is considered relatively inert chemically. It occurs naturally in some primitive plants, is present in small amounts in many foods and beverages, and is marketed as a dietary supplement. It is sometimes used as a cutting agent for illicitly manufactured methamphetamine.[3] It is also commonly found in the atmosphere above marine areas, where it is used as a carbon source by the airborne bacteria Afipia.[4]

MSM from Selfhacked.com
    Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring sulfur compound stored in every cell of the body. It helps the hair, skin, and nails grow faster, softer and stronger apart from improving neurological functions and reducing pain. Continue to read to know the other benefits of this supplement and why it is essential for you!
    https://selfhacked.com/blog/methylsulfonylmethane-msm/:

MSM from Healthfree.com
    Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is 34% sulfur, making it the richest source of bio-available organic sulfur. MSM is safe, non-allergenic and easily digestible as a food.
    https://healthfree.com/view_newsletter.php?id=150&key=b

Organic Sulfur
    Most occurrences of organic sulfur refer to MSM

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Harmony (27th June 2020), Kryztian (14th August 2019), Lyran.Sun (13th October 2019), Stephanie (14th August 2019), toppy (14th August 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019), Yvanka (13th August 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,956 times in 538 posts

Quote Posted by Kryztian (here)
    Thank you Franny. I recently dug out my sprouting supplies and recently started sprouting again. I always thought that the little sprout seeds had to be grown in some type of flat medium or in soil, so I have only done the big beans (peas, chickpeas, aduki beans) that can be done in a jar. Seeing that broccoli sprouts can also be done in a jar, I am going to try this out and just ordered some online from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-Bro...Bw1uVuw <br />

Do you have a recipe for making the shakes or smoothies they are talking about? I do make smoothies, but I am wondering how much to add without overpowering the smoothies.
    If you don't mind shopping on Amazon, here is a cheaper Organic Broccoli seeds (2.5 lbs) that may arrive in one day if you have Prime and are in the right location:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Franny (14th August 2019), Harmony (27th June 2020), Kryztian (23rd November 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (15th August 2019), Stephanie (14th August 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Portugal Avalon Member gs_powered's Avatar
    Thanks

This thread made me go and germinate seed for the 1st time in my life, thank you for that as I'm loving this!

Using mason jars to sprout organic brocolli seeds. As soon as good to go these are always at the table, and I find it's specially convenient as a vegetables soup topping, or in salads

Yum yum

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gs_powered For This Post:

Franny (14th October 2019), Harmony (27th June 2020), Kryztian (17th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (13th October 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

And here's one more happy forum member who started sprouting again thanks to this thread Franny!

On the left are the Broccoli Sprouts, in their 7th day - two more days to go and this tablespoon and a half of seeds should pretty much fill the mason jar. This is my third batch since you put out this thread. I put them on salads, sandwiches, veggie burgers - they are the finishing touch on so many things.

I also got back to doing crunchy sprouts (aduki beans, garbanzos, green lentils and peas). When dry, they were about 3/4s of an inch high in the jar, and after 4 days .... And the broccoli sprouts are now incorporated into my crunchy bean sprout salad.

Also, I was on the phone with another Avalon member who is into sprouting - he bought a 10 lb. bag of broccoli spout seeds. When I told him about this thread he said he read it and that was probably what lead him to get back into sprouting.
    "If seeds in the black earth can turn into such beautiful roses, what might not the heart of man become in its long journey toward the stars?"
    --- G.K. Chesterton

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Franny (19th December 2019), Harmony (27th June 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (20th December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread