+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Wave: A Lesson Plan

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Default The Wave: A Lesson Plan

In the early 70s taking psychology classes at a University I was participated, cause it paid, in psy experiments that mirrored the Stanford experiments, Milgram experiments and measurement of cognitive dissonance and acceptance of authority

I didn't score well on acceptance of authority and revolted against it in some of the experiments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...son_experiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Anyway I was unaware of this experiment done by a History teacher in 67 in California and the ABC after school special in the 80s that showed how easy and quickly it was to move young minds into a fascist type cult aka Hitler youth. This is the story (trailer) of the Third Wave experiment as told by the students and their teacher, Ron Jones

This is the ABC after school special. The Wave is a short made-for-TV movie directed by Alex Grasshoff, based on The Third Wave experiment, which was a social test created by high school history teacher Ron Jones to explain how the German populace could accept the actions of the Nazi regime during the Second World War.

The Wave is a 1981 young adult novel by Todd Strasser under the pen name Morton Rhue (though it has been reprinted under Todd Strasser's real name). It is a novelization of a teleplay by Johnny Dawkins for the movie The Wave, a fictionalized account of the "Third Wave" teaching experiment by Ron Jones that took place in a Ellwood P. Cubberley High School history class in Palo Alto, California. The novel by Strasser won the 1981 Massachusetts Book Award for Children's/Young Adult literature.

More about the film (I know its dated and over dramatic but worth consideration
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083316/

There is also a 2008 German tv film in a similar vain called DIE WELLE

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Franny (2nd September 2019), Hervé (2nd September 2019), Ioneo (2nd September 2019), Kotch (2nd September 2019), O Donna (2nd September 2019), RogeRio (3rd September 2019), Victoria (2nd September 2019), Wind (2nd September 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

Default Re: The Wave: A Lesson Plan

Thanks for your post. That 1981 movie was a good reminder.

The second “The Wave” video is not available where I live............
    Last edited by Deux Corbeaux; 2nd September 2019 at 16:19.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Hervé (2nd September 2019), ichingcarpenter (2nd September 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

Default Re: The Wave: A Lesson Plan

Add

I was born and bread in the Netherlands by parents who spent their early adulthood under Nazi occupation.They came out OK and didn’t talk about their experiences very often.

However, they had so much aversion against “uniforms and uniformity” that, when I asked to be allowed to join the Girl Scouts (which seemed to me good to balance a life growing up in a big town like Amsterdam), my mom refused to give her permission..... and she hardly refused me anything.
    But the symbols and uniforms reminded her too much of the Nazis.

The Netherlands have never had school uniforms. Perhaps because of the same reason.
    Last edited by Deux Corbeaux; 2nd September 2019 at 19:27. Reason: Spelling

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Franny (2nd September 2019), Hervé (2nd September 2019), ichingcarpenter (2nd September 2019), Inaiá (4th September 2019), rgray222 (2nd September 2019), RogeRio (3rd September 2019), Wind (2nd September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread