+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone actually seen a Thunderbird?

1. Link to Post #21
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Default Re: Has anyone actually seen a Thunderbird?

Haast's Eagle is a brain-aneurysm inducing species of gigantic man-eating winged monstrosities that became notorious among the Maori tribes of pre-colonial New Zealand thanks to their horrific propensity to silently dive-bomb down from the tree tops in absolute silence, crush the skulls of 450-pound beasts like a Volkswagen driving over a soda can, then fly off into the darkness clutching the tribe's women and children in a fist full of razor-sharp 4-inch talons so they could be slowly and painfully shredded to death at the beast's leisure.

This is not a myth or a legend. This is a real thing that actually lived on Earth-One's material plane as late as 1600 AD.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/haasteagle.html
    The thunderbird is probably related to this creature and is likely extinct now, for the most part. If they are alive, it would be in a densely forested area, like British Columbia and possibly the Boreal Forests world wide. Likely the tiniest breeding population which would render them all inbred and sickly. But, you never know. They may take refuge in some extremely remote area, and have such a healthy fear of man they are only glimpsed very rarely.

There had to have been other eagles like the Haast's eagle on most continents.

I have never seen one and hope I never do. After watching a bald eagle pursue my dog, talons outstretched, I have a really healthy respect for those feet! It's not the beak it's the feet!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Did You See Them (17th September 2019), Peter UK (14th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (15th September 2019), Words of Joy (17th September 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)

Haast's Eagle is a brain-aneurysm inducing species of gigantic man-eating winged monstrosities that became notorious among the Maori tribes of pre-colonial New Zealand thanks to their horrific propensity to silently dive-bomb down from the tree tops in absolute silence, crush the skulls of 450-pound beasts like a Volkswagen driving over a soda can, then fly off into the darkness clutching the tribe's women and children in a fist full of razor-sharp 4-inch talons so they could be slowly and painfully shredded to death at the beast's leisure.

This is not a myth or a legend. This is a real thing that actually lived on Earth-One's material plane as late as 1600 AD.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/haasteagle.html
    The thunderbird is probably related to this creature and is likely extinct now, for the most part. If they are alive, it would be in a densely forested area, like British Columbia and possibly the Boreal Forests world wide. Likely the tiniest breeding population which would render them all inbred and sickly. But, you never know. They may take refuge in some extremely remote area, and have such a healthy fear of man they are only glimpsed very rarely.

There had to have been other eagles like the Haast's eagle on most continents.

I have never seen one and hope I never do. After watching a bald eagle pursue my dog, talons outstretched, I have a really healthy respect for those feet! It's not the beak it's the feet!
    ~~~

That's pretty interesting. 1600 AD isn't very long ago. This image shows Haast's eagle on the right. (On the left is a Moa.)

And here's a recreation of the thing:

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 14th September 2019 at 21:30.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Peter UK (14th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (15th September 2019), TelosianEmbrace (15th September 2019), Yoda (15th September 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 times in 1,397 posts

The largest species of the late Cretaceous Pteranodon attained wingspans of up to 30 feet, much larger than any flying birds alive today. By comparison, Pterodactylus (which lived tens of millions of years earlier) was a relative runt, the wingspans of the largest individuals spanning only eight feet or so (and most species boasting wingspans of only two or three feet, well within the current avian range.) There was much less difference in the weight of these pterosaurs; both were extremely light, in order to generate the maximal amount of lift needed to fly.

Interesting tidbits if interested! Quetzalcoatlus, a late Cretaceous pterosaur with a wingspan of 35 to 40 feet (about the size of a small plane). Fittingly, Quetzalcoatlus was named after Quetzalcoatl, the flying, feathered god of the Aztecs. (By the way, Quetzalcoatlus may itself one day be supplanted in the record books by Hatzegopteryx, a comparably sized pterosaur represented by frustratingly fragmentary fossil remains!)

https://www.thoughtco.com/things-to-...actyls-1093797
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Peter UK (14th September 2019), Reinhard (15th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (15th September 2019), TelosianEmbrace (15th September 2019), Words of Joy (17th September 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,111 times in 3,950 posts

Hi The Crimson Horse Blanket sounds like you had quite a close encounter.

Just wondering is you could describe the creature in more detail:

What was it's head like?
    What was it's body like?
    Was it bird, reptile or ?
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Peter UK (16th September 2019), TelosianEmbrace (15th September 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Hi The Crimson Horse Blanket sounds like you had quite a close encounter.

Just wondering is you could describe the creature in more detail:

What was it's head like?
    What was it's body like?
    Was it bird, reptile or ?

It was a hot summers late evening, 10 - 10:30pm, and I was sat near an open first floor window of a beautiful barn-conversion that was part of a rural farm that had recently been developed into high-end living. Being it was in the countryside, it was very peaceful and quiet, especially at that time of night......... I don't know how long I was listening, but I suddenly became aware of a dog/dogs barking, in distress. I got up and put my head out of the window and looked to my left, where the sound was coming from, which was behind a thicket of trees about 80-odd ft to my left.

I then saw this 'thing' just rise-up, vertically, to about 10ft above the tops of the trees....... It just looked like a dirty-white mass of something, It then beat it's wings once and was level with me and about 15ft away....... It's head reminded me of a seals and was the size of a large dog's, but it had a beak like a puffin, or a parrot, which was black. It's eyes were just pools of black and I did not want to look into them. I then became aware of it's wings going up again, that's when I saw that they were like leather, and it gave one flap and was gone, it's wings were about 8ft long each......... I looked after it and it travelled an impossible distance on one flap of the wings, and then that was that, it was gone from my line of site. I didn't get a good look at the rest of the body...... It was head, beak, eyes, wings, then gone.

One of the crazy things is, my partner at the time was no more than 10ft away from me when this took place. I didn't shout for her to come and look, I didn't even tell her about it afterwards, or since. I found myself many a time, even years later, looking up and in trees when I've been alone in the countryside, walking, driving, whatever. It's not like I live in some wilderness, where I am is only a small island, 9 miles by 5.

But, and this is what I've come round to thinking since the event, where I am is well known for the dark arts. There are plenty of covens who practice, I've seen with my own eyes some of these sites after certain dates, the egg shells, toads, evidence of sacrifice....... This place is also well connected to elite paedophillia and trafficking. What I saw I now believe to have been demonic rather than pre-historic.
    Last edited by The Moss Trooper; 15th September 2019 at 13:28.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Peter UK (16th September 2019), Reinhard (17th September 2019), Sunny-side-up (17th September 2019), TelosianEmbrace (16th September 2019), Valerie Villars (15th September 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 times in 1,397 posts

What timing! Flying Dragons!
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Peter UK (16th September 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,111 times in 3,950 posts

Hmm Crimson Horse Blanket, that's quite a scary creature you witnessed.

Not like anything I have heard of.
    Sounds like a evocation, metaphysical.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Hmm Crimson Horse Blanket, that's quite a scary creature you witnessed.

Not like anything I have heard of.
    Sounds like a evocation, metaphysical.
    There have been many sightings over the years — NOT by crazy people! — of creatures that seemingly can't possibly exist. How does one reconcile this?

In the article I quoted in my opening post, this one —>
    There were cited quite a number of Thunderbird sightings in Pennsylvania.

Now, we can make a connection. (Maybe!)

UFO and Bigfoot researcher, Stan Gordon — a grounded and intelligent man — is based in Pennsylvania. And he's heard many dozens of reports of anomalous Bigfoot sightings that appear to be utterly paranormal.

Here's how I started the Is Bigfoot at least partly interdimensional? thread:

~~~
    A highly controversial question.

I recently listened to two of paranormal investigator Stan Gordon's interviews with Linda Howe. I'd highly recommend them for any reader here who's seriously interested in the topic.
    The first interview starts with the Dec 1965 Kecksburg UFO incident (interesting in itself: Stan Gordon demonstrates what a detail-oriented, careful researcher he is). His section on Bigfoot is the second half, starting at 1:02:48.

Stan repeats many of the experiencers' reports in the second show, adding some more. The entire show is worth listening to, but that section really kicks in in earnest with Linda's question at 36:30, when she asks Stan to go into all the evidence he's collected that Bigfoot may be interdimensional. That leads into the whole rest of the show.

There are some extraordinary stories there, which there's no a priori reason to dismiss or discount. Like when one 7-8 foot tall hairy creature, apparently solid flesh and blood, was shot at point blank range through a log cabin doorway and then disappeared in a flash of light. Another Bigfoot, elsewhere, was hit by a vehicle, and that also immediately disappeared.

There are MANY other reports like that. But most cryptozoologists (understandably! ) just don't want to hear them.

To paraphrase what Stan states, he's coming to believe that there are MANY highly strange Bigfoot experiences (and other cryptids, too: he also talks about Thunderbirds, including one case where it seemed to the witness to be 'transparent') — but that because they're so frankly unbelievable, either the witnesses stay silent on the seemingly ridiculous and impossible details, or the investigators themselves do when they write up their reports.

My own position. As some know, I've been most interested in the Ecuadorian accounts of the 'Wawa Grande' (literally: 'Big Baby'), which apparently hangs out in the Cajas National Park quite close to where I live.

There are well-documented reports, including that of one solo hiker who was hospitalized 20 years ago with deep cuts and scratches when he was attacked by one. That really happened. (And there are no black/brown/grizzly bears here that could do that kind of thing.)

See this thread for details:
    So, I went searching. A sort of diary is here:
    I've spent MANY days now in very high and remote regions, and I've come know the area very well. It's totally wild: I've never once seen another hiker in many hundreds of hours up there with just myself and my dog. Nor have I seen a footprint, or any signs at all that a large primate could exist there.

The anomaly is that there's almost nothing to eat. It's a high (12,000-14,500 ft) alpine landscape, stark and beautiful. Here's a photo I took a couple of weeks ago: (for scale, my dog Mara is standing like a mountain goat on the skyline ridge to the top left)

Hi-res image: http://projectavalon.net/June_2018_hike_panorama_lg.jpg

There are some wild llamas and deer, and a few small mammals, but it's not like thick California forest which is rich in goodies for a large animal to feast on. It's very barren. 95%+ of the green in the photo is tough, short grass that only llamas and deer could eat.

So after over a year and a half of expeditions, I started to wonder a few months ago what kind of creature the Wawa Grande really is. Stan Gordon may have offered part of the answer — but, I have to say, it's really hard to process.
    ~~~

The Pennsylvania connection raises the possibility that Thunderbirds (or, at least some of whatever these things are) may be interdimensional, as well.

One wild possibility that has just now occurred to me is that these are somehow time traveling entities. Maybe quite accidental ones, appearing in our world having fallen unintentionally into some kind of portal. I'm not aware of this having ever been suggested before.

Meaning: maybe these creatures did exist once here on Earth, in an environment that supported them in every way as natural living creatures. That could apply to many of these weird, 'impossible' cryptids like Lake Monsters, Pterodactyls, Thunderbirds, and maybe (partially) Bigfoot — though flesh-and-blood Bigfoots do seem to exist as real here-and-now living animals.

The problem is always the very difficult biological one of 'breeding herds' (and, also, what they can possibly eat and live on). The Mokele Mbembe in the Congo might find a great deal to eat there! But the Wawa Grande in Ecuador, sighted in very remote areas way above the tree line, has almost no food sources.

A large creature can't just exist all on its own. There have to be a minimum number of them in order to survive. So just maybe, they don't 'belong' in our world, or in our time, at all.
    Last edited by Forest Denizen; 17th September 2019 at 23:58. Reason: Typo

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BMJ (26th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Forest Denizen (17th September 2019), Frank V (17th September 2019), Hervé (17th September 2019), Ivanhoe (17th September 2019), Magnus (19th September 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (17th September 2019), Rosco1 (17th September 2019), Yoda (18th September 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Israel Avalon Member PathWalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,056 times in 1,088 posts

I could not help it.

Here is the latest Thunderbirds we saw in TV 40 years ago.
    It was very popular show. And the SF effects were great.

Looking it up in UT, found there is a recent remake with animation.

Hope you enjoy it as much.

In my navy duty service we had a Sargent with stiff neck that walked like the puppets in the show. So when he was around we sang the TV show tune.

It was hilarious.
    Last edited by PathWalker; 17th September 2019 at 12:48.
    We are playing a virtual reality game, of duality. In the game of choices, align your choices with your ideals. Everything is whole, complete and perfect. Even yourself. Love is the power to change/create.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PathWalker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th September 2019), BMJ (26th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Forest Denizen (17th September 2019), Rosco1 (17th September 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

Just as an alternative suggestion, and not to question real sightings of cryptids, avian or otherwise, I wonder.. might the Thunderbird of Native American mythology be less biological in nature (at least in some cases) and more technological?

Ancient cultures had no frame of reference for anything that flew above their heads beyond that which was familiar to their daily experience – being birds. Anything they saw traversing the sky would default to a bird of some kind. But descriptions of the Thunderbird differ. Was it always just "a very large breed of bird?" I do wonder. If an aboriginal person witnessed a modern day helicopter flying overhead for example, I suspect they'd report "a huge, terrible, roaring, whirring bird" or similar, yet a bird all the same, one sprung from hell more than likely. Around that sighting many tales would be told, translated and transformed, and it would probably see, eventually, some sort of spiritual or religious meaning being attached to it.

In many of these tales, the Thunderbirds were so large that when they flapped their "wings" thunder was created – hence their name. But also, apparently, whenever they blinked their eyes, lightning flashed out of them (something similar, interestingly, was reported in sightings of the Mothman in the 1960s). Might these "eyes" be lights, and might these lightning bolts be rays/beams of light shining down?

There are also stories that the Thunderbird had another face in the middle of its chest, which suggests that whoever witnessed that was seeing something other than a bird. The bird was also very, very large. So large and mighty it could easily carry a whale in its talons (a feat of physics unlikely for any real species of bird to accomplish).

One key Thunderbird myth dates to that universally recorded "Great flood", an environmental disaster. The Quillayute Indians of the Pacific Northwest told how the Thunderbird, sent by the Great Spirit, came out of the heavens to save them:

"The people waited. No one spoke. There was nothing but silence and darkness. Suddenly, there came a great noise, and flashes of lightning cut the darkness. A deep whirring sound, like giant wings beating, came from the place of the setting sun. All of the people turned to gaze toward the sky above the ocean as a huge, bird-shaped creature flew toward them.

This bird was larger than any they had ever seen. Its wings, from tip to tip, were twice as long as a war canoe. It had a huge, curving beak, and its eyes glowed like fire. The people saw that its great claws held a living, giant whale. In silence, they watched while Thunderbird - for so the bird was named by everyone - carefully lowered the whale to the ground before them.

Thunderbird then flew high in the sky, and went back to the thunder and lightning it had come from. Perhaps it flew back to its perch in the hunting grounds of the Great Spirit. Thunderbird and Whale saved the Quillayute from dying. The people knew that the Great Spirit had heard their prayer." [source]

The Cowichan people of Vancouver Island believed there was a population of Thunderbirds, a belief shared by the Shawnee. They could literally "shapeshift" into human form by tilting back their beaks like a mask and by removing their feathers as if they wore a feather-covered blanket. When this was done, a Thunderbird could walk among humans without drawing attention.

A Shape-shifting Thunderbird

According to the Menominee of Wisconsin, the Thunderbirds lived on an enormous mountain that floated in the sky. They controlled the elements - rain, wind, and flood. They watched the happenings of human lives below, and were said to find great pleasure in fighting and the accomplishment of impressive feats. This sounds very much like the Olympians of ancient Greece to me.

According to the Passamaquoddy people of Maine and New Brunswick, the Thunderbirds were men who could transform themselves into flying creatures. To the Algonquian People, they deeply revered the Thunderbird, as according to their legends the Thunderbirds were ancestors of the human race.

By many cultures, the Thunderbird was seen as a benevolent protector, an enforcer of morality – but one that should never be angered. For me, that's characteristic of "ETs masquerading of gods", and if you're a subscriber to the Von Daniken school of mythological history, threads of this kind can be found woven into the backstories of many myths of ancient times. The fierce anger of the Thunderbird was terrible to behold. It laid down brutal punishments for people who had done wrong - and reminiscent of Lot's wife fleeing the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, is said to have turned an entire villages to stone for their wrongdoings.

Interesting, also, are legends of the Sioux, who spoke of the Thunderbirds destroying dangerous reptilian monsters called the Unktehila, who saw all humans as parasites. This mythology was shared by the Menominee of Wisconsin, who tell of great horned snakes – the Misikinubik – who the Thunderbirds prevented from overrunning the earth and devouring mankind.

In summary, the legend of the Thunderbird is tremendously rich and varied, and it, whatever 'it' is/was, maybe a confusion of many different things. Maybe a giant bird, a breed of great eagle or condor perhaps. Maybe a creature not even native to this earthly dimension. Some sightings may even be alien craft, and others, alien beings in disguise.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th September 2019), BMJ (26th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Forest Denizen (18th September 2019), Hervé (17th September 2019), Ivanhoe (17th September 2019), Ratszinger (17th September 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,256 times in 2,136 posts

Quote Posted by Ratszinger (here)

I wonder if they had hollow bones as do birds.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

BMJ (26th September 2019), DeDukshyn (17th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Forest Denizen (18th September 2019), Ivanhoe (18th September 2019), Ratszinger (17th September 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)
    Quote Posted by Ratszinger (here)

I wonder if they had hollow bones as do birds.
    Yes they did. So did some of the dinosaurs. Warm bloodedness and good care for their young are also determined to be shared traits between dinos and birds ... along with feathers!

Makes me wonder if the pterasaurs may have actually been at least partially feathered as well ... it wouldn't be out of place.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 17th September 2019 at 23:26.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

BMJ (26th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020), Forest Denizen (18th September 2019), Ivanhoe (18th September 2019), Ratszinger (17th September 2019), TelosianEmbrace (20th September 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,170 times in 3,982 posts

In response to paranormal Bigfoot and the shapeshifting Thunderbird, and the demonic one, I think it is like that.

In Bhutan the Yeti is explained the exact same way. The main difference is that is a purified area and the Yeti is from a high class of beneficial beings, it mostly lives on the astral plane and manifests at will.

The further away you get from Everest, it's all downhill from there.

There could be a plain biological pterodactyl, or Merfolk who are actually hunting us.

In this case there are probably multiple explanations of different kinds of beings that have the form of a large bird or even a man-bird. But where there are not Yeti then you are likely to get increasing amounts of vile ones.

Similar to many of the Native Americans, I will hold there is a kind that is important to man. If you honor it you can force away the nasties.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

BMJ (26th September 2019), Denise/Dizi (27th January 2020)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

Argentavis, the biggest known bird to ever exist.

I came across this on Reddit.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Anka (10th November 2020), Bill Ryan (9th November 2020)

29. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 times in 731 posts

https://www.singularfortean.com/news...tional-airport

I wonder if the Mouth man sightings could be thunderbirds?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Savannah For This Post:

Anka (10th November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2