+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1 7 17 20 LastLast

Thread: All Sports All The Time

1. Link to Post #321
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

Default Re: All Sports All The Time

Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Alecs (1st February 2023), Bill Ryan (31st January 2023), Bluegreen (25th February 2023), Docim369 (17th January 2024), Ewan (31st January 2023), Hermoor (26th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (26th February 2023)

3. Link to Post #322
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,179 times in 10,108 posts

. . . . . .
    Last edited by Bluegreen; 13th July 2023 at 06:06.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th February 2023), Ewan (16th March 2023), Hermoor (26th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (26th February 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (27th February 2023), Satori (19th April 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

5. Link to Post #323
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,971 times in 2,392 posts

It is supposed to be sport guys - not war..

https://twitter.com/i/status/1636055981456076806

Napoli vs Frankfurt
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 16th March 2023 at 13:34. Reason: embedded the tweet

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (16th March 2023), palehorse (27th April 2023), Satori (19th April 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

7. Link to Post #324
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,590 times in 983 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    It is supposed to be sport guys - not war..

https://twitter.com/i/status/1636055981456076806

Napoli vs Frankfurt
    That is astonishing. I assume it is home (Napoli) fans. Those new microwave crowd-control devices must be on the authorities’ minds (in any country, watching this).

Will be interesting to see how the game is managed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2023), Ewan (16th March 2023)

9. Link to Post #325
    Thanks

In spite of everything,I still believe people are really good at heart.

The Kenyan athlete who gave up first place to help an armless Chinese

The 2010 Zhenkai marathon took place with the usual anticipation of a good race and stiff competition, but the world would be shocked when almost at the finish point humanity takes place and spectators are met with a wonderful sight to behold.

Jacqueline Nyetipei Kiplimo left Kenya to take part in the Zhenkai Marathon and win for herself the grand cash prize and start her life, but her need for money and all the luxury and fame winning the race would have brought was thrown in the wind once she neared a Chinese armless athlete.

Kiplimo gave up a sizable grand prize and a chance for victory in the 2010 Zheng-Kai marathon when dropped to second after deciding to assist a competitor with a disability who wanted to drink water.

Over the course of more than 20 kilometers, Kiplimo slowed down and ran alongside a Chinese competitor, giving up the lead while providing him with water at the water stations. Kiplimo came across the runner around the 10-kilometer stage of the race and saw that he was very dehydrated. She stayed with him until he was well enough to continue on his own, which was at the 38-kilometer point.

The former Santiago de Chile marathon winner, who hails from the cattle-rustling-prone county of West Pokot, was in the lead before being passed by a Chinese elite disabled runner who was pausing to sip water.

Being the first child in an eight-person household and having not completed secondary school, she has served as the family’s financial support system by using the money she earned from running. Since she was aware that her second job will bring in some income, she said that money is not everything.

However, that helping hand swept her into fame as the cameras clicked. She was not even aware she had gone viral and was famous till she saw photos after the event.

In different interviews, Kiplimo narrated that it was not a difficult decision to make. She said that she made the decision to keep running alongside the disadvantaged athlete for the entire 38 km while giving him water at every water station.

Competitors passed her by and she saw her win fading as they all galloped to the finish line, but a generous heart caused her to lag behind. Kiplimo tried her best to catch up with the winner at 38 kilometers, but it was too late.

Surprisingly, she made second place and still managed to win some prizes and she was happy with second place. According to Kiplimo money is not everything in life and it was necessary to help those who are in need.

Kiplimo’s story could be looked at from many angles, but what stands out most would be the discrimination against the vulnerable in society. Kiplimo could have left the armless athlete standing there and struggling to open up his water to drink.

She would have made first place easily and won that cash prize, but she chose to yield to her humanity and do the right thing.

It is most surprising that after lagging behind she still manages to come up second place; a feat that most likely has never been heard of in such context.

The former 1,500-meter national primary school champion trained alongside 2014 Commonwealth marathon champion Flomena Cheyech, Elizabeth Rumokal, and Jackline Chemwok. Her personal best time for a marathon is 2:30.52.

Twelve years later, this act by Kiplimo still resounds with all who hear the story as it’s first of all unheard of and true definition of selflessness.

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...rmless-chinese
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2023), Ewan (16th March 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (17th March 2023), Mari (16th March 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (11th April 2023), onawah (2nd April 2023), Orph (4th April 2023), Satori (19th April 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

11. Link to Post #326
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,590 times in 983 posts

Title is “Leisure...”, but it’s really about sporting and exercising, on the fastest Atlantic passenger liner (to this day), the SS United States (latest in a series of vids about this ship). Swimming in/on a rolling speeding behemoth, and tennis on the deck of this 35+ knot moving ship.

Following are some (Youtube) comments. They give info on various exercising done on civilian and navy ships, relevant to the vid.

Leisure Time on Board SS United States

Battleship New Jersey
    149K subscribers

6,790 views Premiered 6 hours ago
    “In this episode we're on board the passenger liner SS United States and looking at some different things her passengers did for fun.”

Ted McFadden
    5 hours ago
    On our first cruise, I went into the pool while the ship was at sea, doing about 20 knots. Floating in the middle of the pool, the ship changes heading. I’m immediately aware, though not at all feeling, the ship as it rotates around me. As someone who is used to fixed pools that definitely do NOT move, this was a startling experience. But hey, now I know what a compass feels like. 😅

Flash Bazbo
    5 hours ago
    I boarded the SS United States as a 13 year old in June of 1969 sailing back to America. Mid Atlantic the skies were grey and the wind over the deck was super chilly. Six year prior, I sailed to Europe on the RMS Queen Elizabeth in August where it was also chilly on deck. Most of the fun stuff was inside the ship. I still remember the amazing food and the killer rolls.

Adam
    5 hours ago
    For people who hate jet lag, they must miss trips like this. 😢

Tony D'Agostino
    6 hours ago
    I guess this qualifies as an athletic activity. When I was on the Glomar Challenger for the Deep Sea Drilling Project in 1982, the ship traveled approximately 4400 miles to drilling locations between Honolulu and Yokohama. The science crew put over 5000 miles on the exercycle in the "gym"

compactc9
    6 hours ago
    When I was still in elementary school, mom booked the whole family on this big Disney trip thing, it included like a week in Disney World and the cruise. Still the only cruise we've been on, but it was a lot of fun. The ship had some fairly nice swimming pools, and waterslides, but we had been swimming at the beaches, and by the time I would have wanted to use the pool, I was so badly sunburnt that it was firmly out of the question.

richard lawerence
    4 hours ago
    As a kid in the 90s my parents took me on my first cruise. It was on the Carnival Fantasy, long since been broken up. In fact I saw her beaching in a short here on YouTube awhile back, made me sad, but I digress. During one of the nights we went through a storm and the next day there was a high wind. I went up to the pool and there was a constant multi foot wave just going from side to side in the pool. I jumped in the pool and loved every second of it. I thought it was so awesome having a constant wave just going back and forth. The most fun I’ve ever had in an otherwise normal pool.
    Show less

Andrew Waite's Stuff
    4 hours ago (edited)
    Great series of videos, Ryan. The Type-82 Destroyer HMS Bristol had a swimming pool, built in the well created when the Limbo anti-submarine mortar was removed.

Peter G
    5 hours ago
    Fascinating series on a legendary liner. Thanks Ryan

Michael Sommers
    4 hours ago
    I'm enjoying these views of SS United States. I hope there are more to come.

gpraceman
    5 hours ago (edited)
    The two US Navy ships that I was on had small weight rooms and you could run the flight deck (these were both larger amphibious ships, with the stern half being flight deck). No pools, shuffleboard or tennis courts, lol. Though, once I recall that we lowered the stern gate and swam off the back of the ship.

Underwaystudios
    6 hours ago
    The pool looks like a tub inside of a tub. The top perimeter is like a scupper wall and drains around the inside tub into the outer tub. And yes, I used to "fan tail jump" from the stern bits on Taney!

Robert F
    3 hours ago (edited)
    On destroyer Caron we would run the 01 weather deck while underway, just under 500 feet up one side of the ship then the same down the other plus about 35 feet "rounding the turn" to switch sides. Using rough figures we considered 5 to 5.5 laps about a mile. We had a couple of exercise cycles and weight machines in the exercise room on the First deck, amidships across the passageway from the small arms armory.
    On Nassau (LHA) we rarely could run the flightdeck while underway, there was nearly always some kind of flight ops going on though we used it extensively while in port when the weather was good (just over 800 feet in each direction,) otherwise we would run the vehicle ramps (steep at about 25 or 30 degrees incline) from the flight deck down 2 decks to the hanger, round the bend and then down another to upper vehicle storage, round another bend to either head down to the well deck or, turning in another direction down to the lower vehicle storage and back up to the flight deck level. Hell of a workout just making the trip twice.
    We also had a nice exercise area with Nautilus machines, weight machines, rowing machines, stationary bikes, workout matts and so on, but when we had Marines aboard they pretty monopolized the place and us sailors would get crowded out, and there would often be a squad or platoon running the vehicle ramps.

beefgoat
    3 hours ago
    I love saltwater pools. I'm terribly nearsighted, yet I can see just fine if I open my eyes under the water. There's just that salt thing that makes it a tad bit uncomfortable. 😂

ckhallock88
    5 hours ago
    3:39 Love the old grid radar reflectors, those are cool in design, vs the modern day radar.

Brian Cox
    4 hours ago
    Did a standing long jump on a 34' Catalina sailboat once. 8' waves on the lake, tried to get from one side of the cockpit to the other. Caught a swell and just kind of floated in air while the boat moved under me.

Founders Rule
    8 hours ago
    What is an appropriate speed for water skiing?
    How many water skiing folks would the SS United States need to pull at one time to enter the Guinness Book of World Records?

Peter Hessedal
    5 hours ago
    I definitely like swimming in the pool while on a cruise and try to walk the deck for exercise. Plus the climbing wall if they have one.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th March 2023), Ewan (17th March 2023)

13. Link to Post #327
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,102 times in 20,640 posts

I was just surfing the Internet and came across this Facebook page devoted to Skiing, and some of the videos there of snowboarding are absolutely breathtaking.
    I don't think they can be embedded, but the FB page's address is https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090809936301
    Here are a few of the more impossible looking feats:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/252071...e_unit&__cft__[0]=AZXMe9ByLtfO-pk4mqQSxtBiHQpKfvCBsrmexEq2dJUu-Iah8bk8G07lSHKlCznWtvjJ2Q1nDHk5DcfAxuNAYf_lQNz4xEzVyoJ-kH2CDUxVa938EJ492G5p1Zyf9-BeKXdkoNx4MqTgHFJbiXLe3yQSQNNoO7ehtvw-VeUxdqTwK6_to1DgrJTdlhZ-BZOHEfg&__tn__=H-R

The scenery in this one is awesome:
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/105087...e_unit&__cft__[0]=AZXetskT8oyZRa4L3InEHDDI039ewS_YKh3LHGNV0NNCKMpEO_Xa3bi6uXjObXw_r3FGVJVPxsCsJ4t3X4zI0lcgQ-CWemCHlpnjrh_LNubSeHovFWY6xVDO8ojyzm_Ety_0N--W0EPXs4FjWy79qbE1v2Ese3qMsplz6ZPOVEafXjr7zZkYr0LCLyz0oCBYjwY&__tn__=H-R
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/573870...e_unit&__cft__[0]=AZWarH13Vs2gYv9q29escFcASCAVIlxzFJkOlLRb52p5IseWwU1ZaaizZHS_xLQN972XGXvuVByqC46Hlumm26CIQPu3MZSzoBj 7Pr5CcyjgTdHhf8LvA38wj3d-1-oyW6P5IkNPhNbWE13TQ875XWQUjlOw6obyvcYIGxsEZQv20qUD5lUEo5nzGQjjU6gDPVQ&__tn__=H-R

https://www.facebook.com/reel/125223...e_unit&__cft__[0]=AZV0EgHVxwRwgMjHuzdXw1OJH5qrprTUgfxPP4r_nFwJccKSIgHMtq7jf8gIqit1BTeI4aJ9edzZNaU0P_YK3erN7_vNkoLKX5d sVwsTPbk-zICRgtWLIIVPQMvE2BVyAXaYOtrNIoksK9lSsWecfeY8CTmkG5wpqbA9aoWOle37B4ILSmjhCUsl4ZJmwTzWyCM&__tn__=H-R
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

15. Link to Post #328
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,324 times in 270 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    A challenge here (for me ). I'm going to try to explain to our North American and European friends what the heck has just happened to the England cricket team.

Books will be written and films made about the overnight transformation from several years of being cricket's laughing stock, the subject of derision and insults from despairing fans, to suddenly the most feared team in the world. And this is all about the Human Condition.

Like baseball, cricket can easily all be about endless statistics. But I'll skip all that. The only one that matters here was that England had won just one match in 17 before this summer. There had been endless calls for the captain to resign and for there to be a wholesale change in the entire management structure.

Eventually, that had to happen. To everyone's surprise, the new coach of the team was appointed as Brendon McCullum, a former New Zealand cricketer who had never coached an international team before but who was famous for being a super-positive, super-aggressive, super-confident sportsman, and also a universally liked and respected super-nice guy.

It was an inspired appointment. The entire demeanor of the team was transformed, and dramatically too. All the players, desperately lacking confidence themselves, became instantly infected with McCullum's charisma. While McCullum was familiar to every cricket fan everywhere, no-one thought such a thing could be possible.

The change was near-magical, the stuff of Boy's Own comics 100 years ago. In three recent matches against New Zealand, England won every one of them, with a super-confident, super-aggressive approach that had records tumbling and commentators increasingly lost for words.

And right now, as I write this, they're playing India, who I've written about before on this thread as themselves an inspired, never-say-die team brimming with confidence and talent.

They've not quite beaten India yet, but they 100% definitely will, literally just a couple of minutes from now. Their achievement will have broken even more records, some of them major, longstanding ones, and challenged even more cricket writers to find adequate superlatives.

The English fans, now drunken with ecstatic delirium, have renamed the team's game as Bazball, a joke playing on Brendon McCullum's name.

I welcome anyone else who's been following all this to explain it all a little better. But it deserves the mention here because it's arguably one of the most extraordinary transformations seen in international sport, and their record-breaking victory today, even after all the dramatic fireworks against New Zealand last month is very, very hard to believe.
    More about Bazball.

But the following, too, may be hard to explain to anyone who's not familiar with cricket.

England's new captain, Ben Stokes — supported all the way by heroic game-changer Brendon McCullum — about an hour ago scripted another victory that would best belong in a Boy's Own comic of the 1930s.

The English batters, in two innings, scored a massive 921 runs, but that not in itself another record. But the rate at which they scored it was: 6.71 runs for every 6 balls bowled at them, from start to finish.

That's way way faster than in the entire 145-year history of international 5-day cricket, featuring 2,478 matches.

For baseball fans, a sport in which fractional differences in averages are significant, this is a little like a team doubling the number of home runs hit, and maintaining that for days. It's completely unheard of.

Then, Ben Stokes stopped their second innings before it was finished, setting the Pakistani side an entirely gettable target to win. But that very bold move also allowed the English bowlers enough time — maybe — to bowl out all the Pakistani batsmen.

"We're not afraid to lose", said Stokes.

The entire cricketing world started to pay close attention, holding its breath. And in the dying minutes of the 5-day game, England won. The sports writers could barely find words to describe what had happened.

In summary — as I tried to explain in my quoted post above — this is all about leadership, courage, and believing the impossible can be achieved. It's a metaphor that extends way beyond cricket. And the laughed-at underdogs of the cricketing world are now the most feared team that there is.
    @Bill - I read this at the time it was posted, but was not a member and could not comment.

The amazing events that followed Ben Stokes's assuming the England cricket captaincy prompted me to write a piece on the wider question of Leadership at my blog (on 8/12/22).

Ben Stokes and the difference great leadership can make

We in The West inhabit a world of institutional mediocrity - where a mixture of over-promoted middle managers and psychopaths are in charge of global, national and functional institutions.

There are very few good, and no great, leaders in mainstream public life...

The exceptions may be found in some competitive sports. Here we can see the truly vast difference that great leadership can make when compared with the usual poor-mediocre standards.

Until last summer, the England cricket Test Captain was Joe Root; who is one of the greatest modern batsmen - but a poor captain.

Last summer, Ben Stokes took-over, for lack of any alternative; and turned-out to be one of the greatest international captains anyone can remember.

Working with essentially the same group of players - and supported by a new coach who he gets on well with (New Zealander Brendon McCullum); Stokes has converted England from a team that almost never wins, to a team that almost never loses:

England Test Match Cricket record since 2021

W=Win

D=Draw

L=Lose

Starting from 2021 - Joe Root: WWWLLLDLDLWLWLLLDLDDL...

From Summer 2022 - Ben Stokes: ...WWWWLWWW

Several of these victories - such as that today in Pakistan - have been among the most remarkable in Test Match history; and done while playing an extremely exciting, sportsmanlike - and happy! - style of cricket.

Such is the difference made by a great leader (which, obviously, includes the power to do what needs to be done)

Imagine, now, what might have been possible if such leadership had been introduced and supported in other areas of institutional life!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bruce G Charlton For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2023), Ewan (13th April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

17. Link to Post #329
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,541 times in 32,788 posts

This has to be one of the most unlikely sports headlines you'll ever read.

(But yes, this really happened)
    Marathon runner disqualified for using car

Scottish runner Joasia Zakrzewski drove for 2.5 miles during this year’s GB Ultra

Scottish ultramarathon runner Joasia Zakrzewski has been disqualified for using a car during a race in Manchester earlier this month. Zakrzewski was caught after GPS data showed her covering a mile faster than humanly possible.

The 47-year-old runner finished in third place at this year’s GB Ultras Manchester to Liverpool race on April 7. However, GB Ultras director Wayne Drinkwater told the BBC on Tuesday that he subsequently discovered she had gained an “unsporting, competitive advantage during a section of the event.”

Drinkwater said that race organizers received a tip suggesting Zakrzewski had cheated, and upon reviewing GPS tracking data, discovered that she had “taken vehicle transport” for 2.5 miles (4km) of the 50-mile (80km) route.

The data showed Zakrzewski covering a mile in a minute and 40 seconds.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 19th April 2023 at 21:06.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (20th April 2023), Ewan (20th April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Isserley (20th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (19th April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (20th April 2023), palehorse (27th April 2023), Satori (19th April 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023), Yoda (20th April 2023)

19. Link to Post #330
    Thanks

Celtics Coach Joe Mazzulla -->> epic statement

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2023), Bluegreen (15th May 2023), Ewan (22nd April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (22nd April 2023), palehorse (27th April 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

21. Link to Post #331
    Thanks

An impressive short selfie video. (I've been close to this kind of situation myself several times when ski-mountaineering, but never actually fell into a crevasse. )

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/56614

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (23rd April 2023), Alecs (24th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (25th April 2023), kudzy (23rd April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th April 2023), palehorse (27th April 2023), Satori (23rd April 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023), Yoda (23rd April 2023)

23. Link to Post #332
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,179 times in 10,108 posts

. . . . . .
    Last edited by Bluegreen; 13th July 2023 at 06:07.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (25th April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (30th April 2023), Richter (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

25. Link to Post #333
    Thanks

The Woman Who Crashed the Boston Marathon

In February of 1966, Bobbi Gibb received a letter in her mailbox from the organizers of the Boston Marathon. She expected to find her competition number inside the package. Instead she found herself reading a disqualifying letter. It stated that women are “not physiologically able to run a marathon.” The Amateur Athletics Union prohibited women from running farther than 1.5 miles, and the organizers just couldn’t “take the liability” of having her compete.

Refusing to take no for an answer, two months later the 23-year-old hid in a forsythia bush near the marathon start line. Disguising herself in a hoodie and her brother’s Bermuda shorts, she joined the throng once half the men had already started running. Her identity was soon obvious, but she only received encouragement, spectators yelling, “Way to go, girlie!”

Three hours, 21 minutes, and 40 seconds later, Gibb tore through the finish line ahead of two-thirds of the male competitors.

When Bobbi Gibb applied to enter Boston Marathon, she wasn’t thinking about men and women or what they were capable of. For her, running was a spiritual act. Watching the Boston Marathon for the first time in 1964, she thought, “here are people who feel the same way that I feel about being a human animal on the earth. This incredible dignity, strength, and endurance it takes to be human, to live a life.”

During a road trip she took in her twenties, Gibbs ran up and down the Rocky Mountains in nurses’ shoes.
    Gibb knew what she was capable of. When she was 20, she had driven solo across the United States. Wherever she stopped her VW van, she would run for up to 40 miles a day. On reaching the Rockies, she was running up and down the mountains in nurses’ shoes—the only comfortable footwear available to women at the time.

And then she got that letter. Now Gibb had a bigger mission: to overcome prejudice against women in sports; to show that a woman’s place wasn’t confined to the home. She’d seen what living an unfulfilled life had done to her mother’s circle of friends, and remembered watching women drink in the afternoon to dull the pain of a crushingly boring life.

Bobbi Gibb didn’t have a coach for the marathon, and she definitely didn’t have a nutritionist. Before the race, she curled up on a cramped Greyhound bus for four days and rode the 3,000 miles east from her home in San Diego to Boston where her parents lived. Arriving at her family home in the suburbs of Massachusetts the night before the race, she stuffed herself on roast beef and apple pie. (Did her stomach hurt while running the next day? She reported later that yes, it absolutely did.)

The next year, one other woman unofficially took part in the Boston Marathon. By 1972, the Amateur Athletics Union rule preventing women from running more than 1.5 miles was lifted. That year, nine women competed. In 1976, 78 joined the race. By 2017, 13,698 were female—more than 45% of the marathon’s total runners.

Women and Ultra-Endurance
    As increasing numbers of women have taken up long-distance running, the gap between the world’s best men’s marathon time and the women’s best time has gradually narrowed. Britain’s Paula Radcliffe took the women’s record in the 2003 London Marathon with a time of 2:15:25; the fastest man’s time is 2:02:57 from Kenya’s Dennis Kimetto in the 2013 Berlin Marathon.

As more women compete, however, women are starting to beat men in ultra-endurance sports, including in running races.
    A 2008 TIME article hypothesizes that women won’t ever be able to run a marathon faster than men. The theory is that male and female physiologies are just too different, with women on average 10% smaller than men in most areas, including in heart size and muscle size. The TIME article says that women would need to be genetically engineered, with men’s muscles put into them, to stand a chance of getting the best time.

As more women compete, however, women are starting to beat men in ultra-endurance sports, including in running races. In one weekend in December 2016, five women runners won outright victories at ultra-marathons across the United States.

It’s not just ultra-marathons. In 2016, American cyclist Lael Wilcox became the first woman to win the suffer-fest that is Trans Am—a 4,300-mile race from Oregon to Virginia. Wilcox completed the course in eighteen days and ten minutes, trouncing the nearest male rival by two hours.

In ultra-distance swimming, women currently hold most of the world records, Roslyn Carbon writes in “Female Athletes.” Females outperform men in two of the three most challenging open-water ultra-distance events—the Catalina Channel Swim and the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (males are faster in the English Channel). And the United States’ Diana Nyad is still the only person to have swum the 110 miles from Cuba to Florida, in 2013, without the aid of a shark cage.

Carbon writes, “the physiology of this supremacy is not well understood but may relate to improved fat metabolism, local muscle endurance at low workloads, tolerance of temperature extremes, and greater buoyancy in water.”
    Carbon also notes, “social and historical influences remain hugely important factors determining the success of female athletes.” What if, at 26.2 miles, a marathon just isn’t long enough to give women’s physical bodies the upper hand against men’s? What if most popular sports are skewed against women because they were designed by men, with men’s bodies in mind?

VICE’s Rick Paulas tackles the idea that sports are rigged against women, writing, “Way back in the day, when James Naismith invented the game of basketball, what if instead of making the height of the baskets 10 feet, he decided to make them 8 feet? In this alternate reality, your favorite team’s roster would be composed of entirely different players. Gone would be the crazy high jumpers or 7-foot plus monsters…” Instead, for example, the game might be geared towards physiological categories that women excel in. What would the sporting world look like then? What would the world look like then?

As for the firebrand that is Bobbi Gibb, she’s now an artist and scientific researcher in her seventies who continues to run an hour a day. For her, it’s still all about going out there and feeling “connected to the earth and air and sky.” She says, “When I run, I feel alive and part of the universe.” Maybe that feeling is more important than any sport.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-woman-wh...ston-marathon/

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th April 2023), Bluegreen (19th May 2023), Ewan (29th April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (30th April 2023), Orph (27th April 2023), palehorse (27th April 2023), Richter (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023), Violet3 (18th May 2023)

27. Link to Post #334
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,971 times in 2,392 posts

This is an extremely unjust little short clip.

Unless some anal statistician cares to prove women are more ruthless than men?

---

Ladies, please don't bite

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2023), Bluegreen (19th May 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Isserley (29th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (30th April 2023), Richter (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

29. Link to Post #335
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    women are more ruthless..
    As a "natural born woman", I guess I am allowed to comment that Queens in history waged more wars than men and women in corporatations are more bossy and mean..
    In any case (and from my own experience) the excess estrogen can be fatal

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th April 2023), Ewan (29th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (30th April 2023), Richter (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

31. Link to Post #336
    Thanks

This is worth keeping an eye on.

Russian prodigy and certain future tennis champion Mirra Andreeva continues her run of 16 impressive victories — on only her 16th birthday. In this clip she's closest to the camera, wearing a yellow top.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/58656
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 29th April 2023 at 15:31.

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (11th May 2023), Ewan (29th April 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (30th April 2023), kudzy (29th April 2023), Michi (30th April 2023), Richter (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023), Yoda (29th April 2023)

33. Link to Post #337
    Thanks

NOT for the faint-hearted — especially if you're a skier. This point-of-view GoPro video really feels like this is you (the viewer) with skis on your feet... for a short time, at least.

The 90-second video shows Colorado ski-mountaineer Matt Randall taking a terrifying out-of-control 300m (1000 ft) fall. Astonishingly, he was entirely unhurt.

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (11th May 2023), avid (12th May 2023), Ernie Nemeth (11th May 2023), Ewan (12th May 2023), Icare (11th May 2023), Isserley (12th May 2023), kudzy (12th May 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th May 2023), Richter (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023), Yoda (11th May 2023)

35. Link to Post #338
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 times in 725 posts

I'm not the biggest fan of this sport but watching the best players of the world battling their way into the finals to hold that enormous Stanley Cup (We have the biggest!) is sheer fun.

The NHL play-offs have started a fourth-night ago but there's still a lot of hockey in the pipeline.

You can watch excellent 8-10 minute daily highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/@NHL/videos

Kraken vs Stars; Game 7, 5/15 | NHL Playoffs 2023 | Stanley Cup Playoffs (8:20)
    You Can't Talk and Listen at the Same Time

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richter For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2023), Bluegreen (19th May 2023), Ewan (17th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

37. Link to Post #339
    Thanks

A small story, but one which is pretty astonishing to me. I'll summarize it, as the news article is a little technical.

This is Spanish climber Carlos Soria, who is 84 (eighty-four!) years old. That's 4 years older than Joe Biden. His totally impressive Wiki page (translated to English) is here.

He was trying to climb the Himalayan giant Dhaulagiri on his 14th(!) attempt. (He's already climbed 12 of the other 14 mountains over 8000m high.)

He was doing well and was in great shape, but at 7700m, setting off for the summit from Camp 3, a Sherpa slipped and fell and crashed into his leg, injuring him to the extent that he couldn't continue. It was just sheer dumb bad luck. He's now being helped down to Camp 2 where a helicopter will airlift him to hospital in Kathmandu.

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (17th May 2023), avid (17th May 2023), Bluegreen (19th May 2023), Ewan (17th May 2023), kudzy (17th May 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd May 2023), Richter (18th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023), Violet3 (18th May 2023), Yoda (17th May 2023)

39. Link to Post #340
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 times in 725 posts

In the NBA Miami Heat and Boston Celtics are playing the eastern conference finals. The western conference finals are between Los Angeles Lakers (LeBron James) and the Denver Nuggets. (Nicola Jokic).

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/@HooperHighlights00/videos

Los Angeles Lakers vs Denver Nuggets / Game 1 Highlights, May 16, 2023
    You Can't Talk and Listen at the Same Time

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richter For This Post:

Alecs (19th May 2023), Bill Ryan (19th May 2023), Bluegreen (19th May 2023), Stephanie (19th May 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1 7 17 20 LastLast