+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast

Thread: Advaita Vedanta! (The Greatest Philosophy on Earth?)

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Default Advaita Vedanta! (The Greatest Philosophy on Earth?)

An interesting talk on Advaita Vedanta.

This Philosophy is somewhat scientific in that every question you would possibly have about spirituality is answered in depth and with compassion.
    The Philosophy is ancient and worth a full investigation.
    This talk is a good overview.
    Chris

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Alan (2nd November 2019), Alpha (22nd December 2020), AndrejPeĉënkin (25th October 2019), Anka (2nd December 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (6th February 2020), Bhusunda (3rd October 2019), Bill Ryan (18th September 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (10th November 2019), Chester (3rd October 2019), Cognitive Dissident (23rd March 2020), conk (25th October 2019), DeDukshyn (18th September 2019), enigma3 (18th September 2019), Franny (19th September 2019), Ioneo (18th September 2019), Johnnycomelately (1st August 2022), Lefty Dave (27th October 2019), Mare (22nd September 2021), Mypos (9th April 2020), Richard S. (19th September 2019), shaberon (4th October 2019), silvanelf (18th September 2019), toppy (11th November 2019), Victoria (30th September 2019), Wind (18th September 2019), Zampano (18th September 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

Default Re: Advaita Vedanta! (The Greatest Philosophy on Earth?)

I like Advaita Vedanta much better than Hinduism. Straight to the point without the blather of gods and goddesses, etc. Every book I have read on the subject is profound.
    If you're interested, start with The Ashtravaka Gita (or Sutra). One of the best spiritual reads ever.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Alpha (22nd December 2020), AndrejPeĉënkin (25th October 2019), Anka (2nd December 2019), Bhusunda (3rd October 2019), Bill Ryan (18th September 2019), Chester (3rd October 2019), Franny (19th September 2019), greybeard (18th September 2019), Ioneo (18th September 2019), silvanelf (18th September 2019), Victoria (30th September 2019), Zampano (18th September 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by enigma3 (here)
    I like Advaita Vedanta much better than Hinduism. Straight to the point without the blather of gods and goddesses, etc. Every book I have read on the subject is profound.
    If you're interested, start with The Ashtravaka Gita (or Sutra). One of the best spiritual reads ever.
    Yes agreed enigma.
    Its one of the few Philosophy's that seems to have investigated in great depth all the spiritual questions I ever had and has simple answers coming from that depth of investigation.
    Thousands of years of inquirey
    The path gets narrower and narrower but simpler.
    All the distractions are discarded.

Ive posted quite a few videos recently on the subject here

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1314210

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Alpha (22nd December 2020), Anka (2nd December 2019), Bhusunda (3rd October 2019), Bill Ryan (18th September 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (10th November 2019), Chester (3rd October 2019), Docim369 (20th January 2023), enigma3 (18th September 2019), Eva2 (18th September 2019), Franny (19th September 2019), Starkey (24th September 2022), toppy (18th September 2019), Tracie (Bodhicee) (22nd May 2020), Zampano (18th September 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

I think, all the things related to (ancient) Vedas worth to be studied, because the older East cultures are less corrupted.

The chinese Lao Tzu book is also one of the most notable examples of these issues, but the main vein of it all goes back to Atlanteans, which in West culture was recorded by the Egyptians.

Also, in West Culture, what is very worthwhile is the Greek Hellenism, which did not become a religion, but is a very well-founded ethical philosophy.
    Last edited by RogeRio; 18th September 2019 at 15:40.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (6th February 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (10th November 2019), greybeard (18th September 2019), silvanelf (20th September 2019), Victoria (30th September 2019), Wind (18th September 2019), Zampano (18th September 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Introduction to Vedanta - Swami Sarvapriyananda - Aparokshanubhuti - Part 1 - July 05, 2016

http://vedanta.org In this series of talks, Swami Sarvapriyananda lucidly unfolds the path to direct "Self-Realization" presented by Adi Shankaracharya in Aparokshanubhuti. This talk - delivered on July 05, 2016 at the Vedanta Temple in Hollywood, CA - covers verses 1 and 2 in "Aparokshanubhuti (Self-Realization)". The text for this series is a translation of Adi Shankaracharya's Aparokshanubhuti by Swami Vimuktananda. Part 2 will be on July 19. See our Facebook page for a .pdf of a Roman transliteration of the text.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Anka (2nd December 2019), enigma3 (30th September 2019), Hiram (29th May 2020), Richard S. (19th September 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Conflict of Maya in Advaita Vedanta Swami Sarvapriyananda

Very clear explanation.
    Relatively short.
    Chris

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), enigma3 (30th September 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I Love You | Swami Yogatmananda

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), conk (25th October 2019), enigma3 (30th September 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Practical Methods of Meditation by Swami Sarvapriyanandaji

Talk on 'Practical methods of Sadhana' by Swami Sarvapriyananda ji from Vedanta Society of New York at arunachala ashram of New York on 6th Jan 2018 to mark Bhagwana Ramana Maharishiji's birth anniversary.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), enigma3 (30th September 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Faith and Strength Swami Vivekananda

Audio.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), Docim369 (20th January 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Swami Sarvapriyananda wonderful speech at HTGC

20. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Docim369 (20th January 2023)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Experience the Truth (Non-Dual Awareness) of Ashtavakra Gita by Experiments ~ Swami Sarvapriyananda

This video leads us to experience the Advaitic Truth stated in ‘Ashtavakra Gita’. Swami Sarvapriyananda has taught many experiments by which we can separate our selves from the body, mind, ego. Swami Sarvapriyananda has given two experiments with stories to grasp the meaning of the verse from Ashtavakra Gita as well as to feel the meaning of the Ashtavakra Gita.

‘Ashtavakra Gita’ is one of the Advaitic (Non-Dual Awareness) masterpieces. Without mincing matters it comes out with the Advaitic truth (Non-Dual Awareness), the whole truth and nothing but Advaita (Non-Dual Awareness) which is the Truth.

Swami Sarvapriyananda has been appointed as Minister and Spiritual Leader of the Vedanta Society of New York and assumed his duties here on January 6, 2017.

Before this, he served as assistant minister of the Vedanta Society of Southern California for 13 months, beginning on December 3, 2015.

Swami joined the Ramakrishna Math and Mission in 1994 and received Sannyas in 2004. Before being posted to the VSSC’s Hollywood Temple, Swami served as an acharya (teacher) of the monastic probationers’ training center at Belur Math. He has served the Ramakrishna Math and Mission in various capacities including being the Vice Principal of the Deoghar Vidyapith Higher Secondary School, Principal of the Shikshana Mandira Teacher Education College at Belur Math, and the first Registrar of the Vivekananda University at Belur Math.

Speacial thanks to,
    1. Ashtavakra Gita
    2. King Janaka
    3. Ramakrishna Paramhansa
    4. Swami Vivekananda
    5. Swami Sarvapriyananda

Thanks. May all being happy.

Please Subscribe VedantaZenOneness.

While you subscribe, please also turn the notification bell on.

ABOUT VEDANTA

Vedanta is one of the world’s most ancient religious philosophies and one of its broadest. Based on the Vedas, the sacred scriptures of India, Vedanta affirms the oneness of existence, the divinity of the soul, and the harmony of religions.

Bonus points if you're still reading this! Comment
    As always… Thank you for watching!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), Docim369 (30th January 2023), enigma3 (2nd November 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

This is my "go to" POV when the fan hits the sh!t and I have surrendered to "that which my wisdom is telling me I cannot change" but my desire is overwhelmingly charged with discontent as to "what is."

Monistic Idealism

Consciousness is fundamental

Consciousness is One
    Last edited by Chester; 3rd October 2019 at 01:20.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), greybeard (3rd October 2019), silvanelf (4th October 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,506 times in 4,009 posts

Quote Posted by enigma3 (here)
    Isn't Brihadaranyaka Upanishad part of Advaita? Why are divinities blather?

I was trying to figure out Dhumavati because she is a Protector of Kagyu, or, the closest thing to a school I could say I was affiliated with.

This is a Bhutanese version of her cruising through an ocean of blood:

And to explain her, more information is for instance in an Indian Advaita forum:

The secret wisdom of the present dark age of Kali resides in the Tantric Goddess Dhumavati and her hidden aspects and forms, as can be discovered in the Rig Veda.

To start with, Dhuma vidya, which means ‘smoke wisdom’, must first be understood. Firstly, Dhuma as smoke relates to Akasha or Space, which is not simply empty but contains the potential of all existence. Space is also the Paramatma, the Supreme Self. The Supreme Self is also Prana or the Breath of Life. The Upanishads (Brihadaranyaka) explain this, and the fundamental keys to understanding the Dhumavidya or Smoke-wisdom:

Smoke is the Clouds (BU.VI.2.10)
    Smoke is Fire (BU.VI.2.11)
    Smoke is Prana (Breath of Life) (BU.VI.2.12)

Offhandedly, most of us would not have guessed that Smoke is either Prana or the sun's rays, as given in Brihadaranyaka Upanisad. Part of her story is that she eats her consort, Shiva. In Hinduism, she is avoided almost entirely. This is not a "Tibetan Buddhist deity", it is Vedic--Upanishadic.

The deities are the philosophy, not any different, but much more powerful. Last time I checked, Adi Shankara promoted a deity system that is widely-used in India and extremely similar to Buddhism. Although Buddhism does allow different beliefs within certain parameters, after scrutiny, Buddhist Shentong appears to be the same philosophy as the Illusionist view of Adi Shankara.

I would think there is more "disagreement" within Buddhism, or within the Vedanta schools, than there is between these two "separate or different" faiths. When one looks at the historical animosity between the two, there never was an encounter between Shentong and Illusionist, but now when we do it in modern times, the Vedantins call a Shentong-pa a "true Hindu Yogi". The difference is the goal since Buddhism teaches Manifestation instead of Liberation, but either way works the same.

To say Advaita Vedanta is to split it from Dvaita or Vasistadvaita, both of which are equally Vedantic, meaning they deal with the commentaries (Upanishads) at the end of the "scriptural" portions of the Vedas. In those other branches will be for instance Krishna, who is always "bigger than you", i. e. they hold some portion of deity "on reserve" and you are the "second or dual" portion. This makes them seem a little more "worshipful" like a church.

The more significant thread is that Brihadaranyaka is about "Horse-like" life winds and the "Rider-like" mind, and this is used in Yoga, Hindu or Buddhist, and we know they eventually disintegrate from this world, which makes Dhumavati rather unavoidable. Some of its main exponents were King Janaka and Sita who lived in Nepal, shortly prior to the birth of Buddha, and so if we simplify his story, then he was trained in Brihadaranyaka Yoga, which would have caused Liberation, but the choice to "become a Buddha" was to remain in manifestation. So at the time of Buddha, and again, with Adi Shankara, the main thread is the same.

Whether there is an Advaita school that refutes Brihadaranyaka or Adi Shankara, I do not know.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), Docim369 (1st February 2023), enigma3 (2nd November 2019), greybeard (4th October 2019)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I cant help as I have only listened to the Swami
    He seems to come back to only Brahman is and you are that--the rest is illusion.
    No dogma --seems fairly forgiving as far as personal taste goes--you can pray to the Divine etc
    Im just beginning to learn about Advaita Vedanta
    Chris

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), Docim369 (1st February 2023), shaberon (6th October 2019), silvanelf (8th October 2019)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Each Soul is Potentially Divine | Swami Sarvapriyananda
    Swami Sarvapriyananda answers a question about Swami Vivekananda's quote "Each Soul is Potentially Divine. The goal is to manifest this divinity by controlling nature, external and internal...".

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), Mashika (6th October 2019)

31. Link to Post #16
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

That "each soul is potentially divine" reminds me of something my grand father once told me, but i can't translate it into any form of English that doesn't make it lose meaning, i guess i'm lacking into this aspect :/

But it's so close i feel like he had to know about this but he never talked to us about it

Anyway i will keep watching these videos and reading about it, thank you so much for posting this as i have figured out a couple things i always felt inside me but were just like running around without me being able to figure them out for years

<3
    Tired

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), greybeard (6th October 2019), Tracie (Bodhicee) (22nd May 2020)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Every question unanswered has already been asked and answered in Advaita Vedanta.
    I love the down to earth, positive and uplifting talks by the Swami.
    Mashika your post appreciated.
    Its nice to know Im not talking to my self --or am I smiling.
    Much value in these videos--but one has to be ready for this.

Of myself I do nothing.

"Events happen
    Deeds are done
    There is no individual doer there of."

Chris

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), conk (25th October 2019), enigma3 (2nd November 2019), Jayke (7th October 2019), Mashika (6th October 2019)

35. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Karma Yoga in the light of Swami Vivekananda (Part I)~ VedantaZenOneness

Karma yoga is an ancient concept. The path of karma yoga is described in the Hindu sacred text, the Bhagavad Gita. It is also taught by zen teachers.

Title: Karma Yoga in the light of Swami Vivekananda (Part I) ~ VedantaZenOneness

The intention when practicing karma yoga is to give selflessly for the good of others without thought of one's self or attachment to the results of one's actions. Acting in this way is considered the right way to approach service and it is said to purify the mind.
    Volunteering one’s time and effort is often used as an example of karma yoga, but, actually, all of the actions one undertakes can be karma yoga. It is considered the attitude to the action, rather than the action itself, which makes something karma yoga. This means acting with the right motives, in the right way, to the best of one's ability, but surrendering attachment to the outcome.

Swami Vivekananda was a Hindu monk and one of the most celebrated spiritual leaders of India. Swami Vivekananda was more than just a spiritual mind; Swami Vivekananda was a prolific thinker, great orator, and passionate patriot. Swami Vivekananda carried on the free-thinking philosophy of his guru, Ramakrishna Paramhansa forward into a new paradigm. Swami Vivekananda worked tirelessly towards the betterment of the society, in servitude of the poor and needy, dedicating his all for his country. Swami Vivekananda was responsible for the revival of Hindu spiritualism and established Hinduism as a revered religion on the world stage.

Special thanks to,
    1. Lord Krishna
    2. The Great Sage Veda Vyasa
    4. Swami Vivekananda
    5. Swami Sarvapriyananda
    Please Subscribe to VedantaZenOneness.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Anka (2nd December 2019), Jayke (7th October 2019)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,506 times in 4,009 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    He seems to come back to only Brahman is and you are that--the rest is illusion.
    No dogma --seems fairly forgiving as far as personal taste goes--you can pray to the Divine etc
    Chris

This is my understanding; Vedanta is Veda Anta, end of the Vedas physically, or, metaphorically, the culmination of Vedic Wisdom. Physically, the source of the commentaries, Upanishads, at the end of the Vedas does not come from the monastic community. They are the property of the Kshaytriya--Warrior Kings. So the Brahmans or priests were forced to ask for permission to read and record them.

Advaita is a specific school or philosophy based in the Upanishads, of which, the main and most influential proponent is Adi Shankara ca. 800.

One of the most important things Hindu or Buddhist is Parampara which is Guru--disciple succession. Adi Shankara was well aware that a person might not find a satisfactory earthly guru. He therefor said, anyone may use the special teacher mode of Shiva as their guru, called Dakshinamurthy. This Shiva form has four arms, and this is very similar to Sarasvati and to Buddhist deities such as Prajnaparamita. In general they are said to have four arms, but if you meditate on them, they are capable of taking other forms. Shiva has, I couldn't guess, how many forms, but, as a guru, for instance, here are two sculptures of him:

In one, he becomes a sort of male Sarasvati by holding a vina--lute.

Dakshinamurthy Gayatri Mantra

Om vRishabha-dhvajaaya Vidmahe
    Ghruni-Hasthaaya Dheemahi
    Thanno Dakshinamoorthy Prachodayaath

ओं वृषभद्वजाय विद्महे घृणिहस्ताय धीमहि | तन्नो दक्षिणामूर्ति प्रचोदयात् ||

Dakshinamurthy Stotram by Adi Shankaracharya is a laudatory hymn for this form of Siva.

om namah pranavarthaya shuddhajnanaikamurtaye ! nirmalaya prashantaya dakshinamurtaye namaha !! chidghanaya maheshaya vatamulanivasine ! omkaravachyarupaya dakshinamurtaye namaha !! nidhaye sarvavidyanam bhishaje bhavaroginam ! gurave sarvalokanaam dakshinamurtaye namaha !!

So although it is a philosophy, as far as I can tell, it is also a Yoga practice involving deities. Renunciants into this line become Dashanami Ekadandins, i. e. staff carriers, who reach the highest four stages of Yoga, into Hamsa and Paramahamsa. Hamsa is a Swan, and also indicates Soham Hamsa or breath mantra. This one definitely is not a philosophy and is a reaction upon the subtle body. It would probably be the best one to learn in all its aspects. If we look at someone famous like Paramahamsa Yogananda, he carries it for a title, so it must be fairly important.

As to whether Adi Sankara means to pummel Shiva into everyone's face like convert or die, "While these Six Sects initially had separate followers, theologian Adi Shankara, the 8th century CE Hindu philosopher, worked to join the adherents of the Six Sects into one through spreading his Advaita Vedanta philosophy. Adi Sankara's followers worship one divine power, Brahman in all its six manifestations. It centers around the worship of the deities belonging to six agama schools, Shiva, Vishnu, Durga, Ganesha, Surya [Sun] and Skanda [Mars] as One."

The founder of Advaita could hardly be called dismissive of deities. Bring them all!

He mentions Durga, or the female, power goddess, Shakti, and along with Dakshinamurty, was also an advocate of Sri (Shakti) Kula (family or school), which is largely based around Sri Yantra:

His success was largely what began pushing Buddhism out of India. But, nominally, as a Buddhist, my teaching tells me I am free to use all his stuff. And so when I give it a fair shake, instead of coming across as a bitter rival, I find it to be so close that this is perhaps one of the only Hindus where I try to regularly attach his respectful title, Adi.

This yoga aims to forge the identity of deity--guru--disciple--mantra. It carries the same theme of a central transcendental Brahman which holds six manifested attributes, which is in Brihadaranyaka Upanishad which must pre-date Adi Sankara by over a thousand years, and the Buddhist Namasangiti and other scriptures which are also older. So Adi Shankara did not necessarily invent much, but, distilled the entire Hinduism and refined the practice. He "changed the world" significantly, even though he died young at thirty-two.

As to how the Hindus can have so many millions stone idols and dismiss Buddhists as Nastika, idol worshippers, is perhaps a bit hasty. We do not exactly worship a statue; items are considered temporarily to be imbued with a deity during meditation.

If it seems to be a grand jumble of deities flying in the face of "manifestation is an illusion", here again we want to look for a center without going to extremes. The deities are aspects of mind and powers of nature, so, they are, so to speak, comprehending the illusion and stealing its "power over you", and, by enlightened means, giving you "power over it". So for example you can find a deity that handles anger and use it to transform your own angry emotions, and if you get good, then it will extend to an ability to stop disputes and relieve anger of others. I could just say "it's an illusion, and that's their problem", which seems to be using the philosophy in the wrong way--or, you could try to do something and just pour fuel onto the fire and make it worse, which would be an ineffective practice. I've bombed out on that one many times, but, have also found that it works. I don't think the road to success in Yoga is a street of gold lined with flowers and fairies, it's rather harsh and inhospitable.

Both Hindu and Buddhist systems allow a variety of approaches, different gurus, different deities, but they are both systems with internal consistency and definable progress. Most of us would have a first one, or one at a time, but manifestation is more like electricity flowing across a circuit board of six major elements, each having numerous sub-elements, and we are looking for a primarily mental means of operating it consciously. That is why it is worth asking questions like why, of all planets, the agamas raise Mars into a particularly honorary position, or the Creator, Brahma, is basically ignored.

As to the common ground, if I look in the Stotram or song by Adi Shankara, he says:

Nidhaye sarvavidyanam

Nidha means "buried or secret treasure". So in what we might call a "popular misconception", then people of the sort who like to blindly follow dogma believe, oh, I say this prayer, I get rich. But metaphorically in both faiths, the treasures are secrets hidden inside you, as the unknown. The deity knows (Vidya) all (sarva) of the treasures, we do not. And so it is not really a prayer, but a way of shutting up the mind so it is able to perceive the divine knowledge.

Yoga, per se, could merely be a handful of Samkhya doctrines and physical disciplines, to which, either Advaita or Buddhism is more comprehensive. Advaita's main proposition, Atma, is the main disagreement with the Buddhist no-Atma doctrine. But if we study the latter, Atma was repetitively denied as a concept, so is very much the same Neti Neti, can only be described by negations. Atma Tattva or Atma Element of Reality is definitely used, and, since Buddha wrote nothing and spoke in Pali, his main doctrine perhaps should be called Anatta, Utterly Helpless, meaning sentient beings are ignorant and helpless especially in matters pertaining to rebirth, whereas Buddha or inner knowledge is Natta, Utterly Helpful, or the lord of it. So the debate about this "main disagreement" does not really exist, but stems from Adi Sankara's encounter with certain monks who emphasized the no-self meditations; we definitely teach no self of the brain/material reactions/selfish desires, etc., but this is a preliminary.

Both systems are a development of Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, but, historically split, due to the limitations of travel and the near-impossibility of every devotee being well educated in all topics. When put back together seeing how similar they are, they also both concur with the entire pantheon of deities, or are a Yoga practice that goes into deity practice. As a preliminary, both the Soham Hamsa and the Sri Yantra are very good. The latter definitely becomes more complex and leads to the centering of Sri Nagara, City of Jewels, i.e. solar plexus. This is also the first chakra used in Buddhism. Neither tries to directly stimulate the root chakra; that would be Hatha, or physical, yoga. So it would be valid to say both are different from that popular conception of Yoga.

Nothing much about the Creator, nor the root chakra, in Advaita or Buddhism. They have far less in common with other yogas or religions than they do with each other.

Edit: this is to continue the understanding that Adi Shankara's Advaita fits like a set of gears to a certain stripe of Buddhism he never heard about. Advaita is supposed to be inclusive and non-sectarian towards Hinduism, and, the Buddhist community is supposed to be non-sectarian towards each other.

If I am at liberty to find value in the Aryan Hindu presentation, then, according to a current translator at Kamakoti Mandali, being a Hindu, in his explanation of Soham Hamsa mantra, adds:

"I am not really certain whether hamsa was derived from the AnApAnasati of Buddhism or vice-versa. Either way, I do not see why a Hindu cannot practice an AnApAnasati or a Trul Khor as long as it does not result in transgression of svadharma. I have taken 8 Vipashyana intensives with S N Goenka's group till date and they have been hugely beneficial. It should also be noted that among the two-fold Buddhist practice, hamsa japa corresponds, somewhat, to the shamatA aspect (like zazen, AnApAnasati etc.) and there is also the other part, which is vipashyana (vipassana)."

He is correct, in Shamatha, or tranquility, we would do something similar to Soham Hamsa in a slightly different way. By the second part, Insight, or Vispassana, it is a meditation with seed, or pertaining to manifest or Sadguna Brahman. It would be different details than he is used to, but, since he understands the mechanics, he does not find a transgression, but a benefit.

With this understanding, we can each do a full session of the other's Guru Yoga, without having the earthly teacher. It is like being at the "x" of a figure 8 or infinity symbol with Aryan and Buddhist lobes.
    Last edited by shaberon; 7th October 2019 at 00:04.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Anka (2nd December 2019), greybeard (7th October 2019), Jayke (7th October 2019), Wind (8th October 2019)

39. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Experience the Truth (Non-Dual Awareness) of Ashtavakra Gita by Experiments ~ Swami Sarvapriyananda
    This video leads us to experience the Advaitic Truth stated in ‘Ashtavakra Gita’. Swami Sarvapriyananda has taught many experiments by which we can separate our selves from the body, mind, ego. Swami Sarvapriyananda has given two experiments with stories to grasp the meaning of the verse from Ashtavakra Gita as well as to feel the meaning of the Ashtavakra Gita.

‘Ashtavakra Gita’ is one of the Advaitic (Non-Dual Awareness) masterpieces. Without mincing matters it comes out with the Advaitic truth (Non-Dual Awareness), the whole truth and nothing but Advaita (Non-Dual Awareness) which is the Truth.

Swami Sarvapriyananda has been appointed as Minister and Spiritual Leader of the Vedanta Society of New York and assumed his duties here on January 6, 2017.

Before this, he served as assistant minister of the Vedanta Society of Southern California for 13 months, beginning on December 3, 2015.

Swami joined the Ramakrishna Math and Mission in 1994 and received Sannyas in 2004. Before being posted to the VSSC’s Hollywood Temple, Swami served as an acharya (teacher) of the monastic probationers’ training center at Belur Math. He has served the Ramakrishna Math and Mission in various capacities including being the Vice Principal of the Deoghar Vidyapith Higher Secondary School, Principal of the Shikshana Mandira Teacher Education College at Belur Math, and the first Registrar of the Vivekananda University at Belur Math.

Speacial thanks to,
    1. Ashtavakra Gita
    2. King Janaka
    4. Swami Vivekananda
    5. Swami Sarvapriyananda

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), enigma3 (2nd November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 7 LastLast