+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast

Thread: Advaita Vedanta! (The Greatest Philosophy on Earth?)

1. Link to Post #21
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

Default Re: Advaita Vedanta! (The Greatest Philosophy on Earth?)

I posted this a short while back but an interesting talk.
    I appreciate the Swami's talks as while its obvious that he has a great depth of understanding on Advaita Vedanta--he is also knowledgeable on other paths.

Why advaita vedanta is more appealing (with story) by Swami Sarvapriyananda| Vedanta philosophy|
    Advaita Vedanta is a school in Hinduism. People who believe in Advaita believe that their soul is not different from Brahman. The most famous Hindu philosopher who taught about Advaita Vedanta was Adi Shankara who lived in India more than a thousand years ago. Adi Sankara learned the sacred texts of Hinduism, like Vedas and Upanishads under his teacher Govinda Bhagavadpada and later wrote extensive commentaries of Hindu sacred texts called Upanishads. In these commentaries, he proposed the theory of Advaita, saying that the Upanishad actually teach that the individual soul (called Atman) is not different from Ultimate Reality (called Brahman). He also taught that there is only one essential principle called Brahman and everything else is a kind of expression of that one Brahman. Because of this theory of one being, his teachings became popular as the "Advaita" (a = not, dvaita = two, means no-two or non-dual). The way he said this to people was "Atman is Brahman."

Adi Shankara was smart and knew that people would wonder how he could say such an odd thing. He realized that many people would ask him, "If a person's soul is really one with Ultimate all along, then what makes a person feel so separate from Ultimate?" His answer to this was that we are ignorant of our real self being Ultimate because we see through a kind of filter—like looking through a dirty piece of glass—and he called this filter we look through, maya, which means "illusion" in Sanskrit. Shankara said that our ignorance makes us feel very separate from Ultimate, and even from everything around us. Shankara suggested that the best way people can find the truth is for them to try to clear their thinking of all ignorant thoughts, be very good, and think very hard about who they really are. He said that if a person did all these things he would realize that Brahaman was himself all along.

This is a very different idea from some other religions where we are told we are separate from Brahaman and need to go to Him. In Advaita, the idea is that people never really were separate from Brahaman, but their ignorance made them see it that way.

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), enigma3 (3rd February 2020), Jayke (7th October 2019), shaberon (8th October 2019), Tracie (Bodhicee) (22nd May 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Understood Vedanta but No Effect in Everyday life? ~ Swami Sarvapriyananda ~ Ramakrishna Math
    We generally have a question that I have understood Vedanta but I can't able to stay with that. After studying Vedanta also I feel the same, I might get angry easily, or caught up with any other temptation.

Swami Sarvapriyananda has given a profound answer to stay with the Vedanta in Everyday life.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), shaberon (8th October 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,180 times in 3,983 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    People who believe in Advaita believe that their soul is not different from Brahman.
    Here, I believe we would say the soul is Manas, the seat of mind and emotions. Atma pertains to the life force, which is Prana or Jiva in an individual incarnation, the winds that shift and blow all through the nervous system.

If there is an Atma which is "above" the single individualized unit, then it is an infinite reservoir of life, of permanent duration.

Whenever this life arises as wind, mind automatically proceeds from it, or soul is the direct result of active life.

Yoga aims to balance and withdraw the winds. The Mind or Soul is the Rider, Observer, or Witness to it. So there is a mental process of reining in mind turbulence, which becomes non-different from a physical change in bio-electricity.

I am not aware that any of us characterize the One Life, per se, and instead can only regard it with silence.

In Buddhism, Life is called Amitayus, and in Greece, it was Eros.

So Atma is not really in man or is not a part of man. It is what is real, or permanent, not us. One may partake of its presence only by the Yogic methods of withdrawing the winds, it is in that samadhi which has no impulses or vibrations from the winds turning to form. Calling it a "self" is difficult, since it has no mind, or form, and it seems to me that most of the Buddhist "no Atma" doctrines are along these lines. The thing is so ultimately refined that we mostly can only talk about "how to get there", how to cause complete cessation and stillness.

If Atma is more like spirit, unceasing divine breath, there is not a "my" or "your" spirit, but only the spirit.

Shiva is intended to be that meditation which places us in direct knowledge of this mysterious breath. Success would mean knowledge of Brahman, where Atma would mean, to me, at most, the fact of perceiving it on an individual basis. I have done this a few times, so, I would have to say it works, and everything else is like an illusion or dream around it.

Although the soul inhabits a mental world which is very different from the physical, I take it simply to be the resting point from which one may attempt to perceive formless reality, which is, so to speak, above and beyond soul.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), greybeard (8th October 2019), Jayke (11th October 2019), Tracie (Bodhicee) (22nd May 2020), Wind (8th October 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It would seem to be the definition--labeling.
    The Ultimate is formless and that's what we are.
    One "Soul" one without a second.
    The word soul is used in different ways.
    Brahman the Ultimate--"That thou art"
    Obviously there are different paths--all valid.
    Chris

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), enigma3 (2nd November 2019), Jayke (11th October 2019), shaberon (11th October 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Who gets liberated?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (4th December 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,180 times in 3,983 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    It would seem to be the definition--labeling.
    The Ultimate is formless and that's what we are.
    One "Soul" one without a second.
    The word soul is used in different ways.
    Brahman the Ultimate--"That thou art"
    Obviously there are different paths--all valid.
    Chris
    I am not sure about the origin of English "soul", but Spirit is related to breath: respire, inspire, and so forth, even conspire, "to breathe together".

In Buddhism we say there are 84,000 provisional paths, but only one Path. This has to do with accepting thousands of different temperaments of people all being drawn to the same center.

In Hinduism, if we say Advaita is superior to Vasistadvaita (modified dualism), that is the difference between Adi Shankara's influence, and what might be popularly called Krishna cult or Vaisnava. Although the latter is valid, Buddhism says it is for those "satisfied by the Bhakti of Sadguna Brahman", or, devotion to divinity in form. This is easier and more popular and at least is a moral guide which prevents man from becoming a beast. It however lacks the full teaching, and what it has was mostly copied from Buddhism in the 1600s.

Orthodox Hinduism is more like a litany of ritual cleanliness, to which Judaism would be a small shadow. You'd not have a moment to not be doing ritual. You better sacrifice a horse, and you better not eat a cow. If that is actually true, I am nothing but a bag of sin headed straight to hell.

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad suggests that horse sacrifice might really be metaphorical or symbolic. Buddhism says the Karma Kanda or all those ritual acts of the Vedas are unnecessary. So, perhaps, the "behavior dictations" are valid to those whose minds are unripened for doing Yoga, but they do not teach or use much of the Yoga itself, in this case meaning Raja Yoga acting upon the inner person. And so if one can sing and dance well, then one should do that type of Bhakti Yoga, if one has children one should do Karma or Householder Yoga, and so forth, whereas Raja Yoga can be done with or without those others. And that is basically the only path, where transformation from mortal to divine can still somewhat scientifically be measured in stages and degrees. The "turning point" where one "gets it", Hindu or Buddhist, is called a balanced breath, where all the thousands of branch nerves are quiet, and there is No Ego. At that point, multiple paths start dissolving into the Path. From that point, neither faith advocates "just letting it happen", and they say it has to be blended with mantra.

When I was young, and able to achieve this by "just letting it happen" without a good understanding of mantra, the Path more or less vanished and kicked me out. That is why, as I am preparing to go set up a shrine again, I find the study and use of mantra to be very important. The Path has no problem dumping you into a worse condition than you were before. And just grabbing some words because they sound interesting is not effective.

With respect to Advaita, this is Shanti (Peace) mantra from Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 5.1:

Auṃ pūrnamadaḥ pūrnamidam
    pūrṇāt pūrṇamudacyate
    pūrṇasya pūrṇamādāya
    pūrṇamevāvaśiṣyate

It has a few interpretations, one being Infinite Universes flow from Brahman, Infinite Universes return to Brahman, and Brahman remains unchanged.

It may be more of an outer or Bhakti practice, but is a reliable traditional version which has probably been the same for over 2,500 years.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Anka (2nd December 2019), greybeard (11th October 2019), Jayke (11th October 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Its not the English definition.
    Sai Baba ,whom I followed for some years, said when asked if he was God said "Yes but so are you, the only difference is that I know that--you dont "
    He also said only one soul I am That.

My learning came mainly from Indian sages and now the Swami in the posted videos.
    He points to only Brahman is --I am that.
    Brahman appearing as Chris and the many.
    A temporary manifestation--the true Self is eternal.
    Nasargadatta also I read- his book "I am That"

So the path has got narrower and narrower--I know a lot less than I did twenty years ago--its redundant.
    So the understanding is that Only "God" is--therefore in a way definition of soul is not that important as it only applies in Maya--duality.
    Understanding that quite a few paths are--duality--mine non-duality.
    Chris

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (12th October 2019), Anka (2nd December 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Great Bliss by Swami Sarvapriyananda

16. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Swami Sarvapriyananda on 'CONSCIOUS EXPERIENCE'

He is in fine form and humorous
    Chris

17. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (4th December 2019)

18. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZO...zyLD9RJmbBUV9Q

Link to many Advaita videos
    Chris

19. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

enigma3 (2nd November 2019)

20. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

How to attain permanent bliss| The Great bliss by Swami Sarvapriyananda| Sarvapriyananda lectures

Swami Sarvapriyananda has been appointed as Minister and Spiritual Leader of the Vedanta Society of New York, and assumed his duties here on January 6, 2017. He is a Nagral Fellow for 2019-20 at Harvard Divinity School.

21. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Supreme knowledge| Swami Sarvapriyananda wonderful lecture 2019| Vedanta

22. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

God in Advaita Vedanta by Swami Sarvapriyananda| Swami Sarvapriyananda

In this video Great monk Swami Sarvapriyananda talks about God in Advaita Vedanta. Swami Sarvapriyananda explains Vedanta philosophy really well. Here Swami Sarvapriyananda is defining God.
    God in Advaita Vedanta by Swami Sarvapriyananda| Swami Sarvapriyananda latest lecture 2019
    Advaita Vedanta was Adi Shankara who lived in India more than a thousand years ago. Adi Sankara learned the sacred texts of Hinduism, like Vedas and Upanishads under his teacher Govinda Bhagavadpada and later wrote extensive commentaries of Hindu sacred texts called Upanishads. In these commentaries, he proposed the theory of Advaita, saying that the Upanishad actually teach that the individual soul (called Atman) is not different from Ultimate Reality (called Brahman). He also taught that there is only one essential principle called Brahman and everything else is a kind of expression of that one Brahman. Because of this theory of one being, his teachings became popular as the "Advaita" (a = not, dvaita = two, means no-two or non-dual). The way he said this to people was "Atman is Brahman."

Adi Shankara was smart and knew that people would wonder how he could say such an odd thing. He realized that many people would ask him, "If a person's soul is really one with Ultimate all along, then what makes a person feel so separate from Ultimate?" His answer to this was that we are ignorant of our real self being Ultimate because we see through a kind of filter—like looking through a dirty piece of glass—and he called this filter we look through, maya, which means "illusion" in Sanskrit. Shankara said that our ignorance makes us feel very separate from Ultimate, and even from everything around us. Shankara suggested that the best way people can find the truth is for them to try to clear their thinking of all ignorant thoughts, be very good, and think very hard about who they really are. He said that if a person did all these things he would realize that Brahaman was himself all along.

This is a very different idea from some other religions where we are told we are separate from Brahaman and need to go to Him. In Advaita, the idea is that people never really were separate from Brahaman, but their ignorance made them see it that way.

Last edited by greybeard; 25th October 2019 at 04:20.

23. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Why do we study Advaita and what enlightenment person do? ~ Swami Sarvapriyananda

We generally have a question that why we should study Adwaita(Nondual Vedanta) and what should enlightenment person do or does enlightenment person feels anything? Swami Sarvapriyananda has given a profound answer. Please watch it to get clarified about Vedanta, Adwaita and Enlightenment.

24. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Sri Ramakrishna's Great teachings| Love of God| Great video for Swami Sarvapriyananda Followers

(ignore the terrible music)

In this video we shall learn Sri Ramakrisha's teachings.
    Sri Ramakrishna's Great teachings| Love of God|
    Sri Ramakrishna was born on 18 February 1836 in the village of Kamarpukur about sixty miles northwest of Kolkata. His parents, Kshudiram Chattopadhyaya and Chandramani Devi, were poor but very pious and virtuous. As a child, Ramakrishna (his childhood name was Gadadhar) was dearly loved by the villagers. From early days, he had strong disinclination towards formal education and worldly affairs. He was, however, a talented boy, and could sing and paint well. He was fond of serving holy men and listening to their discourses. He was oftentimes found to be absorbed in spiritual moods. At the age of six, he experienced the first ecstasy while watching a flight of white cranes moving against the background of black clouds. This tendency to enter into ecstasy intensified with age. His father’s death when he was seven years old served only to deepen his introspection and increase his detachment from the world.

Advaita Vedanta is a school in Hinduism. People who believe in Advaita believe that their soul is not different from Brahman. The most famous Hindu philosopher who taught about Advaita Vedanta was Adi Shankara who lived in India more than a thousand years ago. Adi Sankara learned the sacred texts of Hinduism, like Vedas and Upanishads under his teacher Govinda Bhagavadpada and later wrote extensive commentaries of Hindu sacred texts called Upanishads. In these commentaries, he proposed the theory of Advaita, saying that the Upanishad actually teach that the individual soul (called Atman) is not different from Ultimate Reality (called Brahman). He also taught that there is only one essential principle called Brahman and everything else is a kind of expression of that one Brahman. Because of this theory of one being, his teachings became popular as the "Advaita" (a = not, dvaita = two, means no-two or non-dual). The way he said this to people was "Atman is Brahman."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (28th October 2019)

26. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,205 times in 4,590 posts

In teachings of the primordial Bon once known to be the Dharma of older Buddhas,
    the most essential teachings on non-duality were known as Natural Great Perfection ( Dzogpa Chenpo). The nature of existence and every living being is described as “Samantabhadra” ( Samantha =All that Exists, Bhadra= Good , Benevolent).

It’s practised by direct insight to the nature of reality
    and neither abiding or non-abiding in any kind of state,
    realm or meditation equipoise
    since no matter what type of subtle activity is performed
    they’re all modalities (ways) of primordial Mind
    that is always the same in nature,
    pure and clear like an empty space,
    the knowing mind

Reflecting on ones own nature the teaching of primordial Bon says
    “My true name is Samantabhadra
    and duality I did not preach”

Likewise, “Advaita Vedanta” could be simply translated as the Knowledge of Non-duality. One of my very traditional Tibetan teachers repeated number of times that the “Essence of Teachings” that is called various names like Advaita, Great Perfection or teachings of Christ, is exactly the same in all religions but beware even among scholars and practitioners many people stir from the path and do not understand it.

He would say “if people want to do practice let them to it” , to the one who knows the truth there’s no difference.

🙏🌟🙏

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

enigma3 (2nd November 2019), Eva2 (28th October 2019), greybeard (28th October 2019), silvanelf (29th October 2019)

28. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You bring a depth of knowledge Agape that few possess.
    Thanks
    Chris

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (28th October 2019), enigma3 (2nd November 2019)

30. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,205 times in 4,590 posts

Happy Dipawali Chris, and may the Light shine through

Interesting detail: it is also mentioned in the surviving Bon and later Buddhist writings that the teachings of Non-duality, Insight (to) called also the Great Accomplishment (Dzogchen) are sought and respected by at least dozen other civilisations in the Universe and for the fact alone they’re called “advanced civilisations”.
    Last edited by Agape; 28th October 2019 at 17:35.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

enigma3 (2nd November 2019), greybeard (28th October 2019), silvanelf (29th October 2019)

32. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

How I Came to Vedanta | Dr. Jeffery Long

Dr. Jeffery D. Long (Professor of Religion and Asian Studies at Elizabethtown University) shares his spiritual journey. Professor Long teaches courses on Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism (Dharma Traditions), as well as seminars on Star Wars and Asian philosophy, Sanskrit, and Comparative Theology and Interfaith Engagement. He is the author of three books and a wide array of articles on Hinduism, Indian philosophy, and religious pluralism. In addition to his academic and spiritual interests, he is an avid fan of science fiction and fantasy and classic rock.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Chester (2nd November 2019)

34. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Four fold qualifications for Enlightenment| Swami Sarvapriyananda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast