+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 4 9 LastLast

Thread: Turmoil in Ecuador

1. Link to Post #61
    Thanks
    Thanked 101,655 times in 9,896 posts

Default Re: Turmoil in Ecuador

https://twitter.com/ReadovkaWorld/st...96677243944960
    "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
    - - - - Emily Elizabeth Dickinson. 🪶💜

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (27th June 2022), Bill Ryan (27th June 2022), BMJ (28th June 2022), Franny (28th June 2022), Harmony (28th June 2022), Inversion (27th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th June 2022), Sadieblue (30th June 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022), TomKat (27th June 2022), wondering (27th June 2022)

3. Link to Post #62
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,214 times in 32,905 posts

Quote Posted by Ravenlocke (here)
    https://twitter.com/ReadovkaWorld/st...96677243944960
    ~~~

Thanks! I had to go to Readovka to read that [not very good] news.
    Ecuador urgently stops oil production
    This is due to the ongoing protests in the country
    Oil production in Ecuador is at a critically low level and will be completely stopped in two days. As reported on social networks by the Ministry of Energy and Mining of the republic, this will happen from June 28 if logistics at refineries and wells, disrupted as a result of mass protests, are not restored.
    If this situation continues, after 48 hours, oil production in the country will be suspended, as due to vandalism, seizure of wells and road closures, it is not possible to transport raw materials and diesel fuel necessary to maintain work ,” the message says.
    The department said that before the protests, the average production was 520 thousand barrels, and now it has decreased by more than 50%. Thus, during the two weeks of ongoing unrest, the state lost $120 million. 1176 wells have already been closed.

Since June 13, protests of indigenous peoples against the social and economic policies of the country's leadership have continued in Ecuador. The protesters are demanding a freeze on gasoline prices, an end to further mining and oil projects.

Earlier, Readovka wrote that in Ecuador, three provinces at once introduced state of emergency.
    And also:
    Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso lowers fuel prices
    A compromise was reached with the protesters

Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso compromised with the protesters. He lowered the previously set fixed price for fuel, talking about it on Twitter.

Guillermo Lasso explained that this was done by the fact that many protesters consider the cost of gasoline to be a key factor in maintaining the conflict. According to the President of Ecuador, although the government is absolutely clear that the problems are caused by completely different reasons, the country's authorities should first of all think about the common good and peace.
    “For this reason, I have decided to reduce the price of Extra gasoline and Ecopais by 10 cents per gallon, and diesel by 10 cents per gallon ,” Lasso said in a social media appeal.
    Since June 13, protests of indigenous peoples against the social and economic policies of the country's leadership have continued in Ecuador. The protesters are demanding a freeze on gasoline prices, an end to further mining and oil projects.
    My own comment:

I wasn't expecting that. That means the price per gallon for regular gasoline and diesel will be $2.45 and $1.80 respectively. All readers will know that it was already super-cheap by global standards.

The local situation here is unchanged:

Here's the latest English-language news report (where I'll hear more about the oil production and gas pries situation this evening or tomorrow morning)"
    Mayor pleads for end of strike, says Cuenca ‘lives are at risk’; Stalled supply convoy could roll today
    Cuenca Mayor Pedro Palacios pleaded with the government and indigenous leaders Sunday night to resolve the nationwide strike. “In Cuenca, we are in an unsustainable situation, a situation where we live in almost complete isolation,” he said. “We demand urgent action from both sides since lives are at risk.”

In a two-minute video, Palacios urged President Guillermo Lasso to provide the leadership to find a solution and pleaded with strike leader Leonidas Iza to open the highways to allow supplies to enter the city. “Mr. Iza, you said you will open humanitarian corridors for essential goods to pass and now is the time to do it.”

Palacios called the tactics of strikers a “return to the past,” asking why, “in the 21st century, are we still living through a situation like this.”

Palacios’ plea to Iza was in reference to a large truck convoy stalled on the Cajas highway near Molleturo. Early Sunday, Iza urged his followers at roadblocks to allow ambulances and trucks with medical supplies, LP gas and food to pass. “In solidarity with all the Ecuadorian people, I ask this cooperation. We have contacted the Red Cross to assist with the logistics.”

According to restaurant owner Luca Pallanca, Iza’s comments were a result of the blockage of trucks bringing medical oxygen and other hospital supplies to Cuenca. Early Sunday, two hospitals said they would soon run out of oxygen if new supplies did not arrive.
    Personally:

I'm 100% fine. I'm rather missing my daily fresh fruit, but I'm substituting with soaked raisins and prunes. (Not bad, actually.) I have home-made bread in the oven, and I've also just made some chocolate. (Raw cacao, honey and coconut oil: delicious. ) It's all been a very useful dry run for tougher times that may lie ahead, and I know this particular situation just now has to be merely temporary.

So for me, everything's close to normal, except that I can't drive anywhere to get to the high mountains. If that's the biggest problem I have, then all's well.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 27th June 2022 at 16:10.

4. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (27th June 2022), Alecs (27th June 2022), avid (27th June 2022), BMJ (28th June 2022), Casey Claar (27th June 2022), Ewan (28th June 2022), Franny (28th June 2022), Harmony (28th June 2022), Inversion (27th June 2022), Jad (27th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th June 2022), Kryztian (28th June 2022), meat suit (27th June 2022), onevoice (27th June 2022), pabranno (28th June 2022), Ravenlocke (27th June 2022), Sadieblue (30th June 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022), Tracie (Bodhicee) (28th June 2022), Violet3 (27th June 2022), wondering (27th June 2022), Yoda (28th June 2022)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks

“ Thanks! I had to go to Readovka to read that [not very good] news.”

Sorry Bill, I would have brought the article but I don’t have a telegram account.
    "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th June 2022), BMJ (28th June 2022), DNA (1st July 2022), Ewan (28th June 2022), Franny (28th June 2022), Harmony (28th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th June 2022), pabranno (28th June 2022), Sadieblue (30th June 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022)

7. Link to Post #64
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,738 times in 997 posts

The Grayzone, today. Part 2 of the unrest and with interviews of indigenous leaders, following the report posted (#60) by Ravenlocke on June 21.

No mention of the fuel price drop in this vid, so it was recorded apparently 1 or 2 days ago.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2022), BMJ (28th June 2022), DNA (1st July 2022), Ewan (28th June 2022), Franny (28th June 2022), Harmony (28th June 2022), Inversion (28th June 2022), pabranno (28th June 2022), Sadieblue (30th June 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks

In Cuenca, transport workers have apparently joined the protests, so warnings have been posted that the city will be gridlocked today with barely anything or anyone able to move. (And I'd guess the same might well happen in Quito as well.) There's no end in sight, despite a few concessions, and CONAIE (the indigenous protest movement) seems determined to bring down the government. This doesn't feel impossible now.

I'm fully behind CONAIE, and I support all their demands, but I don't know enough about the cold economic realities to have a view on how pragmatically possible meeting their demands might be.

As I posted earlier, this has to be a temporary situation, as there's no way this can continue for too long. But it does offer a kind of time-portal view into the kinds of "unrest" (what a euphemism! ) that might be seen in MANY countries all over the world in months to come, with no easy quick-fix solutions in any way possible.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (28th June 2022), BMJ (28th June 2022), DNA (1st July 2022), Ewan (28th June 2022), Harmony (28th June 2022), Inversion (28th June 2022), Jad (28th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (29th June 2022), Kryztian (28th June 2022), kudzy (28th June 2022), pabranno (4th July 2022), Peace in Oz (29th June 2022), Sadieblue (30th June 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022), Sunray (1st July 2022), Yoda (28th June 2022)

11. Link to Post #66
    Thanks

Breaking news here (and this is actually a correct use of the overworked and much-abused term ) — it seems a peace agreement has been reached between the government and the protestors.

https://telesurenglish.net/news/Ecua...0630-0009.html

Strike to End After CONAIE-Government Dialogue

(my comments following)

The agreement hasn't actually been signed yet, but that may not be anything that's a problem. This situation, though it was acute, always had to be temporary, because it was based on emotional (though deeply-felt) issues among the poorest of the population: not so much systemic supply-chain and shortage problems, the kind which will definitely hit almost the entire rest of the world very hard in the next few months.

So it means that the demands could be met — such as reducing the nationally fixed and subsidized prices of gasoline and diesel by $0.15 to $2.40 and $1.75/gallon respectively. How long the government can maintain those very low prices is an open question.

Another observation is how rapidly the country was brought to a critical standstill simply by blocking highways with (e.g.) construction machinery, buses, burning tires or felled trees.

It's relatively easy in Ecuador to do this, because of the mountainous terrain and therefore the relatively few numbers of highways connecting anywhere with anywhere else. In a flat country, it's a lot easier, as there are so many alternative routes.

But many other people throughout the world will have been watching all this very carefully, noting how easy it is to do with grass-roots organization that spreads virally very fast on social media.

Unlike the situation with the truckers in Canada, protestors operating like this in a developing country can't easily be identified, and many don't even have bank accounts that can be frozen.

So this kind of thing may become more widespread in many developing countries before not too long — Sri Lanka has already been there, of course — in situations when the governments may be helpless to do anything at all. And in countries where many of the protestors may have guns, concealed or not, things could easily go bad quite quickly.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 30th June 2022 at 19:41.

12. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (30th June 2022), avid (1st July 2022), Ba-ba-Ra (1st July 2022), Blacklight43 (1st July 2022), Casey Claar (30th June 2022), DNA (1st July 2022), Eva2 (1st July 2022), Ewan (1st July 2022), Harmony (1st July 2022), Inversion (30th June 2022), Jad (1st July 2022), Kryztian (1st July 2022), pabranno (4th July 2022), Peace in Oz (1st July 2022), Sadieblue (30th June 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022), Sue (Ayt) (1st July 2022), Sunray (1st July 2022), Violet3 (1st July 2022), Yoda (1st July 2022)

13. Link to Post #67
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    ...reducing the nationally fixed and subsidized prices of gasoline and diesel by $0.15 to $2.40 and $1.75/gallon respectively. How long the government can maintain those very low prices is an open question.
    Everything is suddenly all normal again in Ecuador, like someone flicked a giant switch. The first day after the signed agreement, some shelves were still empty, but that's because roadblocked supply trucks had only just arrived. The second day, it was like nothing had ever happened.

But I'm not the only one who wonders how long the government can maintain the very low fuel prices.
    Fuel prices drop but concern grows about the cost of subsidies

[extracted]

Although motorists aren’t complaining about lower prices for regular gasoline and diesel fuel, the government is scrambling to figure out how to pay for the increased subsidy. Prices for low-octane gasoline and diesel dropped 15 cents Saturday following the agreement between the government and the Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities (CONAIE) that ended the 18-day national strike.

The prices will be fixed at those rates for the foreseeable future.

According to Ministry of Economy and Finance, the the price reductions will increase the fuel subsidy by $340 million a year.

“The increase means the country pays more than $3 billion annually for gasoline, diesel and cooking gas,” says Jaime Carrera, director of the Ecuador Fiscal Policy Observatory. “This is a huge amount for a small country and it means the government will have to abandon its plan to reduce the deficit.” He adds, “At this point we haven’t heard anything about increasing the tax base so we wonder what the payment options are other than more borrowing.”

Finance Minister Simón Cueva is non-committal about covering the new debt. “The price reductions at the pump were just installed this weekend and it will take time to figure out the economics of it,” he says. “There are a number of options and it is important to remember that the revenue base has been increased by higher oil prices.”

Critics of the lower fuel costs negotiated with Conaie say there are better ways to help the poorer population and suggest the current system of subsidies does more harm than good. “It’s a tragedy we pay so much in subsidies,” says Vicente Albornoz, a University of the Americas dean. “That $3 billion should be used for education, health care and law enforcement and could go a long way in solving some of our social and infrastructure problems.”

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BushPilot (4th July 2022), Ewan (5th May 2023), Harmony (4th July 2022), Inversion (4th July 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (4th July 2022), Kryztian (4th July 2022), meat suit (4th July 2022), Mike (4th July 2022), pabranno (4th July 2022), Peace in Oz (4th July 2022), Stephanie (4th July 2022), Sue (Ayt) (4th July 2022), Yoda (4th July 2022)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks

Hello again, I can’t get into the last page of “Turmoil in Equador”, it will not load the whole page, so I’m just going to post this bit of news here and maybe it can be moved later.

https://twitter.com/spriteer_774400/...46215337377793

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (13th July 2022), Bill Ryan (29th November 2022), Gwin Ru (12th July 2022), Harmony (13th July 2022), Peace in Oz (13th July 2022), RunningDeer (12th July 2022)

17. Link to Post #69
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/TheGrayzoneNews/...31744925995008

In the second chapter of filmmaker Oscar Leon's series on Ecuador's resistance, Leon travels to the rural Andean community of Buenos Aires to meet rural campesinos and indigenous citizens defending their land against multinational mining companies. The clash over land and resources goes to the heart of the conflict that paralyzed Ecuador's society in the summer of 2022 and challenged the presidency of billionaire neoliberal banker Guillermo Lasso.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th November 2022), Ewan (5th May 2023), Harmony (30th November 2022), Peace in Oz (30th November 2022), Rosco1 (18th May 2023)

19. Link to Post #70
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/s...82971330478080

https://cepr.net/press-release/ecuad...ore-questions/

Ecuador: Murder of Key Witness in Investigation of President Lasso, Others, Raises More Questions

Witness Was Close Associate of Lasso’s Inner Circle, Business Partners, and Campaign Donors

Washington, DC — On Friday, Ecuadorian police found the body of Rubén Cherres, who had apparently been murdered, alongside three other people, in Punta Blanca, a seaside resort on the Ecuadorian coast. Authorities had been looking for Cherres since January 21, when a warrant was issued for his arrest. Cherres’s murder is the latest crime in a series of corruption revelations that have shaken Ecuador, and that implicate Ecuador’s scandal-plagued president, Guillermo Lasso.

“This multiple murder raises more questions about Lasso’s inner circle and the mounting evidence that the president has been surrounded by corruption and criminal enterprises,” said Mark Weisbrot, co-director of the Center of Economic and Policy Research. “The Biden administration should not be seen supporting a government like this.”

Rubén Cherres was a close collaborator of Danilo Carrera, President Lasso’s brother-in-law and lifelong business associate. Carrera was also an important funder of Lasso’s presidential campaign. Carrera and Lasso share a long history at Banco de Guayaquil, in which Lasso is a majority shareholder, and in the offshore emporium that they built around it. When Lasso was elected in 2021, Carrera replaced him as president of the bank.

Although he holds no formal position in the Lasso administration, several former government officials have stated that Carrera plays an important advisory role to the president and is a powerful figure in the presidential palace. Notably, Carrera accompanied Lasso on his December 2022 trip to Washington, DC.

“Several investigations have alleged that President Lasso has used the United States financial system as a tax haven and to hide assets, in violation of both Ecuadorian and US law,” said Weisbrot. “The Biden administration should investigate this, in accordance with its commitments to countering this type of corruption, as well as supporting our own rule of law in the United States.”

In the last few months, journalists from La Posta have accused Carrera of being at the center of a complex web of corruption. Carrera was first accused of being involved with false contracts in the energy sector. Then leaks of phone and chat conversations implicated Carrera in a cash-for-executive-appointments scheme, including appointments in ministerial positions. The murdered Cherres allegedly was the man tasked to run these schemes, which are now being investigated by the prosecutor general.

On February 24, the prosecutor general announced it was opening a new investigation into Lasso’s shutting down of a police probe into Cherres’s links with what Ecuadorian authorities have referred to as the “Albanian mafia,” a drug-trafficking ring. The allegations are that Lasso exerted pressure on the commander of the National Police and the head of the anti-narcotics police to cover up the investigation’s report.

Lasso, meanwhile, has done everything in his power to block investigations in which he is involved. He withdrew specialized police personnel from the prosecutor’s office, and has repeatedly threatened journalists who have made this corruption public. The latter have complained that they have been the target of frequent death threats, most recently denouncing renewed threats to their lives and safety last Friday.

With the death of Rubén Cherres, a key witness in the potential links between the Lasso administration and organized crime has been eliminated.

Lasso currently faces impeachment proceedings, which have been approved by the country’s Constitutional Court. In accordance with the law, this impeachment will be settled in Ecuador’s parliament, the National Assembly, which will vote in the coming weeks on whether to remove Lasso from office.

The Constitutional Court approved the impeachment proceedings on the grounds of an additional accusation of corruption that recently emerged. Lasso is accused of having opposed the termination, and then authorizing the renewal, of an allegedly overpriced oil transportation contract. The manager of the state-owned oil transportation company claims to have warned the president that this contract was not legitimately priced and would have significant budgetary effects. This manager was then fired after attempting to terminate these contracts. A report from the comptroller general also advising the president against the signing of these contracts was received, but ignored, by Lasso. As a result, Lasso has been accused by the National Assembly of embezzling public funds.

“The Biden administration should refrain from any statement or action that could be seen as interference in Ecuador’s sovereign judicial process and in the investigations into the possible crimes committed by Lasso. Failure to make clear that the US supports the rule of law in Ecuador risks alienating the US government from the population and from other governments in the region,” said CEPR’s Director of International Policy Alex Main. “In light of mounting evidence of criminal behavior at the highest levels in Ecuador, the Biden administration should scrupulously avoid expressing positions that could be seen as attempts to shore up President Lasso. Instead, the Department of Justice should show that it takes corruption allegations seriously, no matter where they may emerge, and investigate Lasso and Carrera’s offshore holdings in the US.”

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/s...94494490112019

¤=[Post Update]=¤

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/st...04103855505409

https://kawsachunnews.com/ecuador-co...so-impeachment

Ecuador: Congress to Debate Lasso Impeachment

The Oversight Commission of the National Assembly of Ecuador will today debate the request for impeachment against neoliberal President Guillermo Lasso, for the crime of embezzlement.

Evidence will be presented in congress, then the commission will have a period of 10 days to prepare a report that recommends or rejects impeachment against the Ecuadorian president.

Last week the country’s Constitutional Court approved the opening of impeachment proceedings, a process then taken up by the Legislative Administration Council (CAL) who have now asked the Oversight Commission to suspend other processes and political trials in order to focus on this case against Guillermo Lasso.

On Sunday, President Guillermo Lasso denied the allegations and said that he will present his defense to the National Assembly if the impeachment trial goes ahead.

Former presidential candidate, Andres Arauz, has labeled Lasso’s right-wing government as a ‘narco-banker government’, saying recently; “Why am I talking about a government of narco-bankers? Lasso’s narrative (during the elections) was that Ecuador was full of drug traffickers, it turns out that those who were full of drug traffickers were the financial institutions that he owned. The country has civil servants who, for the most part, are honest people; teachers, doctors, nurses, policemen, and soldiers. The problem is not the people. The problem is that we are led by a banker president linked to these organized mafias.”

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (7th April 2023), Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), Ewan (5th May 2023), Harmony (5th May 2023), wondering (18th May 2023)

21. Link to Post #71
    Thanks

https://kawsachunnews.com/ecuador-ha...vernment-arauz

Ecuador has a ‘narco-banker government’: Arauz
    March 13, 2023Andres Arauz, Ecuador
    The following is an interview with Andres Arauz, former left-wing presidential candidate for the Correista UNES alliance in 2021. This interview originally appeared in Nodal.

Why do you call the government of Guillermo Lasso a government of narco-bankers?

Let’s start with the revelation, by the media allied to Lasso himself, that his brother-in-law Danilo Carrera, chairman of Banco Guayaquil, has ties to sectors of the Albanian mafia, a criminal drug organization that present in the Ecuador, and they have designated people within Ecuador’s public companies and ministries. The Prosecutor’s Office even raided the presidential palace itself looking for evidence of this corruption and called the case the “encuento” case, alluding to Guillermo Lasso’s second-round slogan calling himself the “encuentro” candidate (coming together). The Lasso family, public officials, financial institutions, mafias, and other criminals, are involved here. The Prosecutor’s Office has decided to reopen the case that was closed by Lasso himself two years ago, and congress is also investigating this. This could end in the impeachment of Guillermo Lasso as President.

Why am I talking about a government of narco-bankers? Lasso’s narrative (during the elections) was that Ecuador was full of drug traffickers, it turns out that those who were full of drug traffickers were the financial institutions that he owned. The country has civil servants who, for the most part, are honest people; teachers, doctors, nurses, policemen, and soldiers. The problem is not the people. The problem is that we are led by a banker president linked to these organized mafias.

Can you refresh us a bit about all the links between the president and tax havens?

Lasso, like most of the Latin American financial elites, has hidden his fortunes abroad: In the Cayman Islands, in Panama, in Florida, Miami, Dakota, in the British Virgin Islands. But in addition to all this, Lasso owns a bank in Panama, the Banisi bank, which contributes to capital flight and tax evasion. This bank was created in Panama along with another bank that Lasso founded on the island of Montserrat to evade Ecuadorian regulations and be able to capture deposits from Ecuador, but without complying with Ecuadorian legislation.

On Lasso’s official trips abroad, and particularly to the United States, he is usually accompanied by Danilo Carrera. This is his brother-in-law, but he is also the president of the Banco de Guayaquil board of directors, a person extremely trusted by Lasso. It makes no sense for a private bank official to be on an official Ecuadorian government trip, but it turns out that this banker, Danilo Carrera, also has another network of offshore companies abroad. Carrera is a close friend of a person named Rubén Chérez who has already been sentenced in Ecuador for drug trafficking, he also operated a mafia network for the sale of government jobs with the help of the Albanian mafia, a transnational criminal organization that has a leading role in the export of drugs from South America to Europe. Lasso, his family, and those close to him, make up this government of narco-bankers.

All of this is happening at a time of extreme political weakness following his catastrophic defeat last month in the local elections. The presidential elections are in 2025. Can you survive that long when the country is also mired in a serious economic and social crisis?

Unfortunately, Lasso can survive two more years with the support of the hegemonic media, the police, and the armed forces, and the influence of the United States embassy that has recently allocated a budget of 100 million dollars, through the USAID office of transition initiatives, to try to sustain his government by influencing the media, social organizations and political parties, seeking to divide and conquer.

The one who will not be able to survive two more years is the Ecuadorian people and the best demonstration of this is the homicide rate in the country, the highest in history, and the migration rate, that is, the rate of departure of Ecuadorians. The exodus of Ecuadorians in 2023 has exceeded the exodus of other sister countries in the region that are facing an economic blockade, financial sanctions, and attacks of all kinds.

The worst tragedy is in the Darien jungle between Colombia and Panama where Ecuadorians are crossing on foot with the intention to seek an opportunity in the North. We have a chronic recession, an unemployment crisis, a public health crisis. Lasso has instead focussed on political persecution, while small businesses are forced to pay extortion money to criminal gangs to avoid being attacked.

Lasso was the main person responsible for the banking crisis in the 90s that led to the dollarization of the Ecuadorian economy. And yet, when the 2021 elections came, he was democratically elected. It would seem that something is failing in Ecuadorian society.

Memory failed in the face of immense power of the media and economic elites. There were also mistakes on our part. We must amend the relationship many different sectors of voters, such as indigenous sectors – CONAIE or Pachakutik – but also other sectors. I think that with the pandemic things have changed a lot. If indeed Congress manages to remove Lasso0, enormous possibilities would open up at a time when the region is once again standing up and making proposals that lead towards integration and the Patria Grande.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (7th April 2023), Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), Ewan (5th May 2023), Harmony (5th May 2023)

23. Link to Post #72
    Thanks

“Citizens are concerned because it remains unclear how Lasso will define who the Terrorists sure”

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/s...94060318462002

Last edited by Ravenlocke; 4th May 2023 at 23:38.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (5th May 2023), Bill Ryan (5th May 2023), Ewan (5th May 2023), Harmony (5th May 2023)

25. Link to Post #73
    Thanks

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/...0504-0012.html

Lasso's Anti-Terrorist Operations Raise Concern in Ecuador

On Wednesday, President Guillermo Lasso signed a decree allowing the Armed Forces to carry out military operations throughout Ecuadorian territory "to confront and counter terrorist organizations and individuals."

This decision was announced as part of a strategy that tries to put an end to the increasing number of violent acts, murders, robberies, and assaults that Ecuador has experienced since Lasso came to power in 2021.

The decree establishes that the military operations are aimed at guaranteeing sovereignty and territorial integrity as well as the full validity of the rule of law. It also sets that these operations must respect both "international instruments" and domestic laws.

Within the current strategy, the Armed Forces Joint Command must coordinate with the National Police and initiate actions "to repress the terrorist threat with all the means at its disposal."

The tweet reads, "Military operation to search weapons and explosives at the Trolleybus station south of Quito. This is in compliance with Decree 730 issued by President Guillermo Lasso yesterday."

Lasso also ordered that the institution in charge of the prisons provide for the security of soldiers and agents who could be "subjected to criminal legal proceedings" for participating in the anti-terrorist operations.

The Ecuadorian president commissioned the Finance Ministry to provide the Armed Forces and the Police with all the necessary resources to fulfill the entrusted mission. Citizen reactions to the de facto militarization of the country did not wait.

Progressive politicians, human rights advocates and intellectuals expressed concern about the ongoing "strategy" because, in practical terms, it is not clear how the Lasso administration will define who "terrorists" are.

In recent days, the Ecuadorian far-right spokesmen accused the Indigenous movement of "harboring terrorists and possessing paramilitary forces."

These baseless accusations and the decree occur at a time when Congress will have to decide whether President Lasso is subject to impeachment in a highly publicized corruption case, in which his brother-in-law and the Albanian mafia are apparently involved.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (5th May 2023), Bill Ryan (5th May 2023), Ewan (5th May 2023), Harmony (5th May 2023)

27. Link to Post #74
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/s...14147389079557

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th May 2023), Harmony (17th May 2023)

29. Link to Post #75
    Thanks

Text:

Tomorrow, after just over 90 years, a President of the Republic is impeached.

The impeachment trial against Guillermo Lasso has gone through several stages and is now reaching the plenary session of the National Assembly so that the 137 members of the assembly can deliberate on the political responsibility of the President linked to the constitutional infringement of embezzlement.

The session will have the following dynamics:

➡️ Intervention of the two questioning assembly members:
    @VivianaVeloz18
    and
    @etorrescobo
    , up to a maximum of two hours.

➡️ Intervention of
    @LassoGuillermo
    up to a maximum of three hours.

➡️ Reply and counter-reply of the parties for up to one hour each.

➡️ Departure of the President of the Republic.

➡️ Parliamentary debate where all assembly members can intervene for 10 minutes without the right to reply.

➡️ Closed the debate, there will be a 72-hour wait for the vote, so if the debate extends until Wednesday, May 17, legislators would vote on Saturday, May 20.

It is true that it will be difficult for legislators to limit themselves solely to embezzlement in their dissertations. Surely we will see the legislators and the President of the Republic say everything that they have not said.

💡Control of the
    @CorteConstEcu
    ? I only allow myself to recall that the same Court said in its opinion that they were not going to interfere in the process of determining political responsibility. This process ends with the dismissal or acquittal of Guillermo Lasso.

https://twitter.com/NestorToroH/stat...39830617210884

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Text translation:
    Someone has to give an explanation
    @CapiZapataEC

@PacoMoncayo
    , why did they install cell signal inhibitors, thus making it difficult for the press to cover the Assembly and for the rest of the citizens who work there to communicate?

https://twitter.com/alexismoncayo/st...27689299329032

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th May 2023), Ewan (16th May 2023), Harmony (17th May 2023)

31. Link to Post #76
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/ElenaDeQuito/sta...064952320?s=20

Text Translation:

Meanwhile, outside the Assembly, citizens express their rejection of President Guillermo Lasso. They demand his removal.

https://twitter.com/ElenaDeQuito/sta...21619080282127

https://twitter.com/ElenaDeQuito/sta...92116064952320

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th May 2023), Eva2 (17th May 2023), Ewan (16th May 2023), Harmony (17th May 2023)

33. Link to Post #77
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/st...76302005350400

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/ec...ctions/2899707

Ecuadorian president dissolves Congress, calls for new elections

BOGOTA

Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso announced Wednesday that he is dissolving Congress one day after his impeachment trial began.

He said he will rule by decree until elections are held.

"I have decided to apply Article 148 of the Constitution, which grants me the power to dissolve the National Assembly due to a serious political crisis and internal commotion, for which I have signed Executive Decree No. 741. In addition, I have requested the CNE to immediately call for legislative and presidential elections," Lasso said on national television.

The president's decision, known as the "cross-death," allows his to dissolve the National Assembly if he considers it is hindering his ability to govern.

"The attack on the actions of this Government has no limits. They have activated 14 political trials to generate instability in the Cabinet and hinder the work of the government. This is not an audit, it is a constant obstruction that has generated political crisis and internal commotion," he said.

​​”Ecuadorians: this is the best decision to give a constitutional solution to the political crisis and internal commotion that Ecuador is enduring and to give back to the Ecuadorian people the power to decide their future in the next elections,” he added.

The opposition-dominated National Assembly began an impeachment trial Tuesday against Lasso.

He is accused of having been aware that his close associates were involved in a corruption scheme involving stealing funds from state companies. Lasso has denied the accusation.

Removing the president requires the votes of at least two-thirds of Congress, or 92 of the 137 lawmakers. The National Assembly adjourned late Tuesday without reaching a vote.

Ecuador's electoral body must decide the date for elections within seven days after the dissolution of the National Assembly.la

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2023), Ewan (18th May 2023), Harmony (18th May 2023), Reinhard (17th May 2023), wondering (18th May 2023)

35. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/s...82571441430532

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2023), Harmony (18th May 2023)

37. Link to Post #79
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/s...76279767306243

Ecuador Has the Opportunity to Get Rid of Lasso, Correa Says

On Wednesday, former President Rafael Correa commented on the political events taking place in Ecuador, where President Guillermo Lasso dissolved the National Assembly and called early general elections.

"What Lasso is doing is illegal. Obviously there is no 'internal commotion'. He simply could not buy enough legislators to save himself from impeachment," said the leader of the Citizen Revolution, the largest leftist political movement in this South American country.

"In any case, this is a great opportunity to get rid of Lasso, his government and his legislators for rent. It is an opportunity to recover the homeland," Correa said.

"His decision is an escape valve for the crisis. It will allow a new government to be elected in peace and democracy... People will have the opportunity to vote, which lowers tensions."

On Wednesday morning, Lasso informed the nation of his decision to dissolve the National Assembly, whose legislators initiated an impeachment against him yesterday, accusing him of being related to a corruption scandal in the Ecuadorian Oil Fleet ( FLOPEC).

Invoking the Constitution's article 148, he prevented himself from being removed from office, which could have happened no later than Saturday.

He will be able to govern by decree for six months without parliamentary controls. This possibility does not mean, however, that Lasso can do anything, at least in principle.

"Decrees are not laws but rather operational norms that allow the implementation of what the law establishes. There is only one exception to this principle: the 'Urgent Economic Decree-Act.' However, its issuance is subject to control by the Constitutional Court," explained Rommel Jurado, a constitutional lawyer.

"The next National Assembly will be able to review all the decree-acts that Lasso issues in these months. The next president will also be able to review and repeal all his regular decrees," the Central University of Ecuador professor pointed out.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2023), Ewan (18th May 2023), Harmony (18th May 2023), wondering (18th May 2023)

39. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

Text:

The hypocrisy is impossible to overstate: Peru's coup regime overthrew elected left-wing President Pedro Castillo, after he cited the constitution to call for new elections and temporarily dissolve the unpopular congress (with 7% approval), which blatantly plotted a coup against him.

Peru's unelected coup regime has since refused to hold elections, and has massacred 60+ pro-democracy protesters.

But Peru's coup regime is now publicly supporting Ecuador's right-wing multimillionaire President Guillermo Lasso, after he undemocratically dissolved the parliament in order to prevent it from investigating his corruption and his close links to organized crime.

Lasso is doing precisely what Castillo was falsely accused of -- and the Peruvian (and Ecuadorian) right is applauding him! Because when right-wing banker oligarchs dissolve parliament, they're suddenly "defending democracy".

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/s...93853594726401

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2023), Ewan (18th May 2023), Harmony (18th May 2023), pabranno (18th May 2023), wondering (18th May 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 4 9 LastLast