+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why the Russians classified a rotating weightless wingnut: they thought the Earth might flip

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Why the Russians classified a rotating weightless wingnut: they thought the Earth might flip

Quote Posted by justntime2learn (here)
    The following video is two years old to aid in the clarification.

Quote The earth is an object in space, it's not flat, and it's also not a perfect sphere. But it is subject to the laws of physics, and since there is much debate about the earths geometric shape, global warming and why the weather is getting increasingly more extreme, without taking any sides, I provide an explanation that the earth is subject to the laws that can be seen in all spinning objects in space and explained using the Dzhanibekov effect, also know as the tennis racquet effect. This also looks the same as the earths poles flipping, but I think the dzhanibekov effect is a better explanation. ~ Sean Wasere
    Ha. That's super-scary interesting. (Tip: watch parts of the video on YouTube at 0.25 speed, to better see what's happening.)

I'd love to see a version where the earth's gravitational anomalies aren't so exaggerated in the model, and see if it still flips after a while. I'd expect it would, but this whole phenomenon is so weird and counter-intuitive that nothing would really surprise me.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

4evrneo (28th October 2019), Cara (29th October 2019), Ewan (8th April 2021), Frank V (28th October 2019), Hervé (29th October 2019), Hym (13th April 2021), justntime2learn (29th October 2019), Yoda (30th October 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Default Re: Why the Russians classified a rotating weightless wingnut: they thought the Earth might flip

Interesting indeed.

This is not at all what would be expected of the interior of a planet formed by accretion. The gravitational anomalies are too exaggerated and suggest the result of a disastrously large impact some time in the past. This would also account for the wobble in the spin and the wild swings in the orbit of our planet.

In addition, the regular visits of large clouds of asteroids and meteors which can be reasonably presumed to be the remnants of that ancient collision, make the proposition convincing.

Regular planets do not develop a tendency to flip over unless some other agent has perturbed the system in the past.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th October 2019), Ewan (8th April 2021), Hym (13th April 2021), justntime2learn (29th October 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I see there are multiple threads with the same video. This is where the previous post on the other thread should be. Sorry about that.

We all understand how a top spins up, remains stable, develops a wobble, turns into a serious perturbation, falls over, stands back up, attempts to stabilize again, wobbles again and finally falls over and stops. This has to do with injecting a dynamic system into another dynamic system in an attempt to achieve dynamic equilibrium.

We might understand how a gyroscope works. Three spinning tops at right angles to each other to maintain a fixed reference point. In order to achieve this stability, energy has to be expended keeping the gyros spinning.

In the Earth's case, the system and the spinning planet came into existence at the same time. Therefore, equilibrium was merely the entire system adjusting itself to its internal preset conditions. There is no dynamic equilibrium to adjust to.

But if after its creation, the planet drifted to another location due to a collision with another body, then the equilibrium of the original system is disturbed and dynamic equilibrium becomes a very real problem. Actually, it could be argued that dynamic equilibrium cannot ever be achieved by two separate systems in close proximity without catastrophic readjustment.

That is why I believe the video portraying the earth flipping over does not do justice to the actual possibility. The model has been modified to highlight the flipping. Why would this need to have been done? If the true model of the gravity anomalies of the earth were used it should still have flipped over and I cannot think of a reason to mess with that result other than because it did not fit the desired result they were looking for in the first place.

But how does one argue against the illustrious Ben Davidson? They shouldn't, certainly I shouldn't...

One more point. The Earth is not an isolated entity. It resides in a dynamic environment that it must adjust to both by absorbing and emitting energy. If the energy absorbed translates into inertia, the spinning top has more energy to overcome its wobble - or to magnify it. The results of this complicated exchange cannot be modeled by a dude at a computer work station. It can only be an over-simplification and nothing more.

It is rather convincing though, and scary.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th October 2019), Ewan (10th April 2021), Hym (13th April 2021), justntime2learn (29th October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2