+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 7 9 LastLast

Thread: What’s Cooking?

1. Link to Post #121
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,192 times in 437 posts

Smile Re: What’s Cooking?

Thanks EFO..I will take your advice and do a small amount first. I'm not keen on scrambled eggs and much prefer ice-cream

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Anka (11th January 2021), Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), EFO (24th November 2020), Harmony (24th November 2020), justntime2learn (6th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #122
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

Default Re: What’s Cooking?

chocolate mousse, I need to learn to make it! It is one of my favorite desserts, do any of you wonderful cooks know how and wish to guide me? HAHAHA

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), EFO (6th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020), justntime2learn (6th December 2020), Lunesoleil (6th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #123
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

A proper French mousse is made with raw eggs and quality 70- 80% COOKING chocolate - not eating chocolate.
    Use very few folds in all mixing.

3 medium eggs, separated.
    Whisk whites to soft peak with 3tbs caster sugar. Only to soft peak - no more.
    Whip 4oz ( half a cup ) of double cream to soft peak and fold in the lightly mixed egg yolks. Again very few folds.
    Melt chocolate (5oz )over slowly simmering water with a nob of butter (10g) - the slower the melt the better ( Time is an ingredient that people often neglect ! )
    Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped cream and eggs, again very few folds.
    Fold in the egg whites a quarter at a time with just a few folds - if streaky ( it will be !) Smear the top and fold, smear and fold.
    The fewer folds the better .
    Chill overnite or 5 hrs min.

Just realised I've mixed my weights lol, I've used metric, imperial and American ! - they are the right quantities, it's just that I do things by eye.

Basically it's a tbsp sugar to one egg and the same weight of chocolate and same weight of cream - ish.

The secret is in the folding, smearing, folding - as little as you can get away with to incorporate it all
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 6th December 2020 at 20:12.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (7th December 2020), EFO (6th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020), justntime2learn (6th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #124
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,303 times in 1,185 posts

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    Whisk whites to soft peak with 3tbs caster sugar.
    I find it a shame with a quality chocolate to put so much sugar. Do you like sweet? In our society, we consume far too much sugar. A quality chocolate mousse, you must not add sugar, it will only be better for our health. If you can not do without it, a tablespoon of sugar will be enough, to test is to adopt it. Sometimes the pastry chocolate is already sweet, so it will be unnecessary to add sugar. To soften the chocolate, you can add a small piece of soft butter ...

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020), justntime2learn (6th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #125
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I'll be cooking a curried chicken stew tonight.

I don't have a recipe, but it'll have chicken, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, onions, celery, peas, potatoes, bacon (not authentic, I know, but bacon ), cilantro (coriander leaf), in a thick creamy coconut milk / heavy cream curried gravy made with copious amounts of cold pressed spices and blends (imported from India - quality spices are important!) - including a cold ground blended curry powder, blended garam masala, cold ground cumin, cold ground ginger powder, turmeric, coriander seed, black pepper, bay leaf and organic chicken broth.

All quantities just by feel and taste, but I use a complicated cooking method in my stews to extract as much flavour in "layers" as possible - takes a long time - made it once before, absolutely a fantastic, warming, "feel good" dish!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), Did You See Them (6th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020), justntime2learn (6th December 2020)

11. Link to Post #126
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lunesoleil (here)
    Whisk whites to soft peak with 3tbs caster sugar.
    I find it a shame with a quality chocolate to put so much sugar. Do you like sweet? In our society, we consume far too much sugar. A quality chocolate mousse, you must not add sugar, it will only be better for our health. If you can not do without it, a tablespoon of sugar will be enough, to test is to adopt it. Sometimes the pastry chocolate is already sweet, so it will be unnecessary to add sugar. To soften the chocolate, you can add a small piece of soft butter ...

I agree that sugar is used far too much in foods but it is part of the chemistry required to hold the mousse together.
    80% Couverture chocolate can also be too bitter for some.
    This is still quiet a bitter chocolate mousse.
    Yes a small nob of butter is added to the chocolate.
    I should also have said to use unsalted butter.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020), justntime2learn (6th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (6th December 2020)

13. Link to Post #127
    Thanks

I love my curries.
    I was smitten as soon as I visited the sub continent and adore Sri Lankan curries.
    For the last few years I have been experimenting with what is termed BIR curry. (British Indian Restaurant curry ).

Having eaten authentic curries all over the world, the BIR curry is a different beast.

Immigrants to the UK in the 50's and 60's brought their know how, pallet and available ingredients together to create a style of cooking that bears little resemblance to the authentic dishes they are named after.
    Many in the UK are first introduced to curry in the restaurants and take aways that have developed this style.
    Any indian cook book will have recipes we know the names of, Madras, Korma etc, but the end result is more like the "correct" dish and not like the dish served by the restaurants and that is what most would like to achieve.
    There are many aspects to making a BIR curry, from the the "base gravy" to the spice mixes and even the utensils used ( got to be plain aluminium pan to get the caramelized flavour from the onions.)
    With the same base gravy you make all dishes from Korma to Vindaloo and Phall ( that's why some restaurants dishes taste samey)
    I have today made a new batch of base gravy, and am marinating chicken for Tikka.
    Tomorrow I will be making a curry.
    I'll share my full cook if anyone interested.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2020), DeDukshyn (7th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020)

15. Link to Post #128
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

I love my curries.
    I was smitten as soon as I visited the sub continent and adore Sri Lankan curries.
    For the last few years I have been experimenting with what is termed BIR curry. (British Indian Restaurant curry ).

Having eaten authentic curries all over the world, the BIR curry is a different beast.

Immigrants to the UK in the 50's and 60's brought their know how, pallet and available ingredients together to create a style of cooking that bears little resemblance to the authentic dishes they are named after.
    Many in the UK are first introduced to curry in the restaurants and take aways that have developed this style.
    Any indian cook book will have recipes we know the names of, Madras, Korma etc, but the end result is more like the "correct" dish and not like the dish served by the restaurants and that is what most would like to achieve.
    There are many aspects to making a BIR curry, from the the "base gravy" to the spice mixes and even the utensils used ( got to be plain aluminium pan to get the caramelized flavour from the onions.)
    With the same base gravy you make all dishes from Korma to Vindaloo and Phall ( that's why some restaurants dishes taste samey)
    I have today made a new batch of base gravy, and am marinating chicken for Tikka.
    I'm interested.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), DeDukshyn (7th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (7th December 2020), Did You See Them (7th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020)

17. Link to Post #129
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

You are the BEST! Thank You!

And Lunesoleil Thank You! I LOVE mousse, and made it one time, and someone "Borrowed" the book I had with the recipe..

I hate trying new recipes that are just thrown on the internet without knowing that they actually worked.. This is like a beautiful Christmas gift.. I do sincerely appreciate it...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Did You See Them (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021)

19. Link to Post #130
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    I love my curries.

I'm interested.
    Also interested.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Did You See Them (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (7th December 2020)

21. Link to Post #131
    Thanks

I will look forward to showing you this later today.
    This morning I will be attending my first ( hopefully last !) Covid funeral. I am not entering the crematorium, instead I will be standing outside for the duration and there is no wake. So sad. I will instead raise a glass whilst "currying favour with the gods".
    Until later.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), DeDukshyn (10th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021)

23. Link to Post #132
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

I agree that sugar is used far too much in foods but it is part of the chemistry required to hold the mousse together.
    80% Couverture chocolate can also be too bitter for some.
    This is still quiet a bitter chocolate mousse.
    Yes a small nob of butter is added to the chocolate.
    I should also have said to use unsalted butter.
    My chocolate is 74% and I mostly made chocolate charlotte. Each time I try to improve my recipe. I did a research and from one recipe to another I found 25gr of sugar to 50gr, the latter by Paul Bocuse, it is extravagant. I once made this macaroni recipe it's delirium. I would say it is a matter of habit that the pleasure of good taste. What you buy in the supermarket is often too sweet, because the sugar keeps it longer. We get used to an addiction to sugar which is a soft drug, an emotional compensation, because often our need for sweet is a masked need for affection that we find in the consumption of sugar. Then you have to choose between white sugar and brown sugar, but I am now seeing the amount used down. A real chocolate mousse, there is no cream, it is butter to soften the bitterness of the chocolate, everything is a question of dosage and personal taste which will be modified over time. Be careful, too much chocolate is a risk of constipation. I like to marry the chocolate with the strawberry that I discovered this year, the beautiful Hélène pear, in the Crumble with the apple ...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Did You See Them (11th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021)

25. Link to Post #133
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Denise/Dizi (here)
    You are the BEST! Thank You!

And Lunesoleil Thank You! I LOVE mousse, and made it one time, and someone "Borrowed" the book I had with the recipe..

I hate trying new recipes that are just thrown on the internet without knowing that they actually worked.. This is like a beautiful Christmas gift.. I do sincerely appreciate it...
    Thank you Denise for appreciating my advice. The chocolate mousse I especially embellish in a chocolate charlotte, I made several which allowed me to improve myself each time.
    I think if we choose a good chocolate why then add sugar?
    It would be best to use a chocolate for the desserts and not to add sugar. For Christmas, you can lightly caramelized nuts, almonds and unsalted pistachios as decoration on the chocolate mousse. I did it for Christmas 2019

I share with you my chocolate charlotte which allows you to enjoy chocolate mousse as much as possible with your family, these friends
    Charlotte with chocolate

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Did You See Them (11th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021), wondering (23rd December 2020)

27. Link to Post #134
    Thanks

Lunesoliel,
    I'm very tempted to try your Charlotte over the Christmas period - will report back on how it goes.

As for BIR curry, I made a few dishes the other day and took a few of the "steps" photos I want to upload.
    I'll include a few of my spice combinations for the dishes I will show but I also have a pdf of "BIR Curry Secrets" that I hope I can upload, that, although I do not use, the recipes do show the "palette" of spices for the standard variety of BIR curries once you have your "base" gravy and background spice mix to hand.
    As soon as I have the time and have got everything in order I will post the base gravy I use and the spice mix.
    Bon appetit everyone.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), EFO (11th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021), Lunesoleil (11th December 2020), wondering (23rd December 2020)

29. Link to Post #135
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Lunesoliel,
    I'm very tempted to try your Charlotte over the Christmas period - will report back on how it goes.
    A great idea for dessert and I would advise you without added sugar, because the pleasure of tasting will be at the maximum of the result. There are several ways to soak the cookie, if you have children, soak the cookie in a chocolate drink, otherwise in tea, or coffee with or without alcohol. Do you have the charlotte mold?
    It is a very good dessert to accompany a light lunch or to taste it

The first photo I shared was with speculos and in a cake mold
    Charlotte with chocolate

French to English translation, recipe this time on my blog.

See you soon for sharing the photo of the chocolate charlotte

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Anka (21st December 2020), Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), EFO (11th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021), wondering (23rd December 2020)

31. Link to Post #136
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Just Christmas cakes and good mood for everyone!
    Good health in the new year!

And all this to be just human.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), EFO (21st December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021), Lunesoleil (21st December 2020), Peace in Oz (22nd December 2020), Wind (21st December 2020), wondering (23rd December 2020)

33. Link to Post #137
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15676299_10154158451706938_8267609181641594021_o.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	45565  
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:23.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Anka (25th December 2020), Bill Ryan (24th December 2020), EFO (25th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021)

35. Link to Post #138
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: What’s Cooking?

Homemade Bredeles, bon réveillon
    Eve and Merry Christmas to all 🎅🤶

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Anka (25th December 2020), Bill Ryan (11th January 2021), EFO (25th December 2020), Harmony (12th January 2021)

37. Link to Post #139
    Thanks

Sad news today.

Chef Albert Roux OBE has died.

A True inspiration. (as was his brother Michel)

The Roux brothers were artists in the field, Master Alchemists of style and simplicity

R.I.P

https://www.thecaterer.com/news/albe...ed-85-obituary

https://www.hot-dinners.com/20210106...oux-chef-death
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 6th January 2021 at 10:37.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Anka (6th January 2021), Bill Ryan (11th January 2021), EFO (6th January 2021), Harmony (12th January 2021), pueblo (6th January 2021)

39. Link to Post #140
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

When I cook for friends, they bring everything I need for dinner, and when they start telling me stories, I start cooking, it can still be called a good reunion, in these times.
    I prefer to prepare everything in advance, so that I pay attention to the cooking process and the taste.

Deep fried cauliflower and chicken legs, snitzel stuffed with mushrooms, ham and cheese, and meatballs.
    You can add to that french fries, or spaghetti, or rice garnish, and they go well with pickles in winter.

Boil the cauliflower for 5 minutes in hot water, then pass it through flour powder to adhere to the buttermilk batter and then throw it in the oil bath.

Assorted ice cream cake with fruit and extra whipped cream whoever wants.
    I put one layer at a time, waiting for half an hour for it to freeze, layers of strawberry and raspberry ice cream (fruit from the freezer), kiwi ice cream, banana and pineapple, caramel, cocoa and coffee. Place equal amounts of ice cream in glasses, and as each layer freezes, add the following.

We still have the freedom to taste the pleasure of cooking and to share the joy with those close to us.
    Enjoy
    And all this to be just human.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th January 2021), DeDukshyn (11th January 2021), EFO (12th January 2021), Ernie Nemeth (11th January 2021), Harmony (12th January 2021), Lunesoleil (13th January 2021), Strat (12th January 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 7 9 LastLast