Thread: What’s Cooking?

1. Link to Post #161
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Default Re: What’s Cooking?

Ginger beer!

The one on the right also has a couple turmeric roots in it, hence the colour.

When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st April 2021), EarthGirl (8th May 2021), EFO (21st April 2021), Harmony (18th May 2021), Matthew (8th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st April 2021)

3. Link to Post #162
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Ginger beer!

Update ...

Didn't taste great. But had 6-7% alcohol so it worked as a "drink". Was soapy tasting and bitter at bottling time, but added more sugar then for a further fermentation ... a week later, better - soapiness was gone but still bitter. It did carbonate,and become more "dry".

But tasted like lemon peel (I didn't peel the lemons). Next time I'll cut back on lemon (or none). I have some mango and blackberry brew going now ... hopefully it'll be better Mom has pineapple rhubarb strawberry brewing - smells amazing.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 8th May 2021 at 07:28.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), EarthGirl (8th May 2021), EFO (9th May 2021), Harmony (18th May 2021), Matthew (8th May 2021)

5. Link to Post #163
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,102 times in 4,060 posts

But tasted like lemon peel (I didn't peel the lemons). Next time I'll cut back on lemon (or none). I have some mango and blackberry brew going now ... hopefully it'll be better Mom has pineapple rhubarb strawberry brewing - smells amazing.
    So cool... good luck!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), DeDukshyn (8th May 2021), EarthGirl (8th May 2021), EFO (9th May 2021), Harmony (18th May 2021)

7. Link to Post #164
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2128.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	46700
    Ginger beer!

Update ...

Didn't taste great. But had 6-7% alcohol so it worked as a "drink". Was soapy tasting and bitter at bottling time, but added more sugar then for a further fermentation ... a week later, better - soapiness was gone but still bitter. It did carbonate,and become more "dry".

So ... fruit wine turned out way better than ginger beer .. really good in fact!!

Bottled it today, ready now to scale up!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 18th May 2021 at 05:32.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Casey Claar (11th June 2022), EFO (18th May 2021), Harmony (18th May 2021)

9. Link to Post #165
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ramen from scratch. Broth with chicken bones and prawn shells and homemade black garlic (done in an instant pot over a month), noodles made from scratch, won-tons made from scratch, parsley and scallions from the greenhouse. Toppings included fake crab, seared garlic prawns and seared marinated pork, crispy fried onion and garlic chips, broccoli, carrot, daikon radish, and farm fresh local soft boiled eggs.

It was incredible ... took hours to throw together but worth every minute.

Name:	IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	49072
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 11th June 2022 at 01:47.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th June 2022), Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), Casey Claar (11th June 2022), DaveToo (11th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th July 2022), Strat (11th June 2022)

11. Link to Post #166
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

That looks amazing!
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2022), DeDukshyn (11th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th July 2022)

13. Link to Post #167
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There's a fish truck that goes through my town once a month from the Quadra Island fisheries, off north east side of Vancouver island, and the are always advertising "spot prawns". I had never heard of these type of prawns before - and they were selling them for $40 a lb (just tails). I thought that was a ridiculous price for prawns, but I really hate that in the grocery stores (except on the coasts perhaps) there are no local (Canadian) seafood, ever, yet Canada is adjacent to three oceans. So I decided to pony up the $40 and try these out.

Let's just say I have never had prawns in my whole life that come anywhere near to how these are. The best comparison I can make would be to lobster - and not "just lobster", but I'm imagining the very best lobster I have ever eaten in my life, and I still think these prawns may have been better tasting - so sweet with the most amazing firm texture. I think these are my new favourite seafood, up there with Alaskan King crab and Atlantic lobster tails. I'm pretty poor right now, but I think when you can eat food like this, it makes you feel rich inside.

Chances are you've never had these or even heard of them, they live only in the north pacific ocean off the west coast of America, and have restrictions on them for fishing methods due to required sustainability - which I can understand how they could easily be fished into extinction if they didn't

To boot, after we picked up the prawns from the truck, someone had set up a mushroom depot across the street and were selling fresh picked morels! So we grabbed a lb of those as well - also expensive at $13 a lb, but if you've ever had fresh morels you know they are worth it.

So me and my mother ate like kings for two days, and I think we'll grab another pound or two of the mushrooms, to freeze or dry later today, if the stand is still set up when I go back into town.

The prawns were just lightly pan seared in butter, oil and garlic, and the morels were sauteed with butter and fresh green onions from the greenhouse.

Name:	IMG_2758.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	896.6 KB
ID:	49204
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 30th June 2022 at 18:43. Reason: corrected prawn location

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ankle Biter (29th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (29th June 2022), Kryztian (29th June 2022)

15. Link to Post #168
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

They look like a very meaty prawn and you're right, I've never heard of them nor seen anything like that. I can fully appreciate what you're saying about texture and taste though, kinda making me hungry now. And how good is it when you have proper fresh organic food like that? With no need to go overboard adding extra ingredients and seasoning etc to dishes because it is full of flavour just the way it is. Nice job! bon apetit!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th June 2022)

17. Link to Post #169
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,970 times in 1,706 posts

There's a fish truck that goes through my town once a month from the Quadra Island fisheries, off north east side of Vancouver island, and the are always advertising "spot prawns". I had never heard of these type of prawns before - and they were selling them for $40 a lb (just tails). I thought that was a ridiculous price for prawns, but I really hate that in the grocery stores (except on the coasts perhaps) there are no local (Canadian) seafood, ever, yet Canada is adjacent to three oceans. So I decided to pony up the $40 and try these out.

Let's just say I have never had prawns in my whole life that come anywhere near to how these are. The best comparison I can make would be to lobster - and not "just lobster", but I'm imagining the very best lobster I have ever eaten in my life, and I still think these prawns may have been better tasting - so sweet with the most amazing firm texture. I think these are my new favourite seafood, up there with Alaskan King crab and Atlantic lobster tails. I'm pretty poor right now, but I think when you can eat food like this, it makes you feel rich inside.

Chances are you've never had these or even heard of them, they live only in the north west pacific ocean, and have restrictions on them for fishing methods due to required sustainability - which I can understand how they could easily be fished into extinction if they didn't

To boot, after we picked up the prawns from the truck, someone had set up a mushroom depot across the street and were selling fresh picked morels! So we grabbed a lb of those as well - also expensive at $13 a lb, but if you've ever had fresh morels you know they are worth it.

So me and my mother ate like kings for two days, and I think we'll grab another pound or two of the mushrooms, to freeze or dry later today, if the stand is still set up when I go back into town.

The prawns were just lightly pan seared in butter, oil and garlic, and the morels were sauteed with butter and fresh green onions from the greenhouse.

Attachment 49204
    They do look delicious, however...

Call me a conspiracy nut or a kook, but ever since Fukushima I have stopped buying
    any seafood/fish from the Pacific coast.

Not that the poisoning hasn't made its way all around the world, but concentrations
    would be higher in the Pacific ocean.

There have been nasty mutations and deaths discovered in all kinds of fish in the Pacific since the nuclear accident.
    And the situation is still far from under control.

There probably has been more danger from Fukushima to this day than Covid ever posed. But there's no money to be made from Fukushima.

18. Link to Post #170
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DaveToo (here)

Chances are you've never had these or even heard of them, they live only in the north west pacific ocean, and have restrictions on them for fishing methods due to required sustainability - which I can understand how they could easily be fished into extinction if they didn't

Attachment 49204
    They do look delicious, however...

Call me a conspiracy nut or a kook, but ever since Fukushima I have stopped buying
    any seafood/fish from the Pacific coast.

Not that the poisoning hasn't made its way all around the world, but concentrations
    would be higher in the Pacific ocean.

There have been nasty mutations and deaths discovered in all kinds of fish in the Pacific since the nuclear accident.
    And the situation is still far from under control.

There probably has been more danger from Fukushima to this day than Covid ever posed. But there's no money to be made from Fukushima.
    Yes you can easily see and taste the mutation ... MMMM ... mutation ... lol.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (29th June 2022)

20. Link to Post #171
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Made Jambalaya tonight for supper. Turned out spectacular - can hardly believe I'm not from the south. Also had a glass of my homemade strawberry-ginger wine, that somehow brewed in about 10 days. Not sure how it got so good so fast, but I'll be making more. Had a hell of a kick too.

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	925.1 KB
ID:	49344

Mom made some beet borscht the other day with all veggies from the garden. This was so good. Dollop of sour cream and a wad of butter is the only way to have it.

Name:	IMG_2858.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	49345

I made this a while back ... Malaysian style seafood laksa with octopus and King crab.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	49346
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 26th July 2022 at 04:35.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ankle Biter (30th January 2023), Harmony (26th July 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 9