Thread: What’s Cooking?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,292 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: What’s Cooking?

Repost: I stock freeze dried kale, spinach, broccoli, and corn from ThriveLife.com:
    • certified
    • gluten-free
    • NO GMOs: no bioengineered ingredients
    • NO artificial colors or flavors
    • shelf life of 25 yrs. (unopened)
    It’s a bit pricey. Another way to look at it is if inflation hits, I won’t need a wheelbarrow full of money to purchase a head of lettuce because I've stockpiled for 7+ years. It’s also convenient to have these products during inclement weather. It's cost effective during the winter season when vegetable prices are high.

I toss in handfuls of three veggies into an Instant Pot with brown rice/barley/lentils.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 5th January 2020 at 22:27.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Baby Steps (30th October 2019), Cara (30th October 2019), conk (30th October 2019), DeDukshyn (29th October 2019), Franny (29th October 2019), Kryztian (5th November 2019), Sadieblue (30th October 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    That's another thing I like about it, super easy to clean - nothing sticks, even though its just a standard stainless steel pot (must be fairly high end SS though ...)

I use mine fairly regularly, along with my cast iron pan - pretty much the only two cooking vessels I use for most things. I even make my oven nachos in the cast iron pan (.
    Food for Thought:

Most of the Le Creuset cookware is enameled cast iron and comes with a lifetime warranty.
    Is enameled cast iron safe?

Enameled cast iron cookware is healthy and safe to use. Unlike pure cast iron, these utensils don't interact with your food, so you can cook any type of food in them including tomatoes and other acidic foods.

How Are Metals Like Iron, Copper and Zinc Connected to Alzheimer's Disease?

I was going to type out the information on cast iron skillets from the book, “Power Foods for the Brain: An Effective 3-Step Plan to Protect Your mind and Strengthen Your Memory,” by Neal D. Barnard, MD. There’s several chapters of information on the different ways we ingest toxic metals: cookware, foods, packaging for foods, vitamins, over-the-counter medicines, toiletries.

Instead, I’ll add a 1:33 minute video by Dr. Neal Barnard. More videos here.
    ... <video redundancy trimmed>
    Cast Iron can be used safely and iron isn't as prevalent in our diets nor as dangerous as Aluminum for sure. A well "seasoned" cast iron pan has a layer of carbon (the black shiny layer that builds up on the bottom of a properly taken care of iron pan that makes it easy to clean) between your food and the iron that helps protect metal leaching into your foods.

Never cook acidic foods, never cook with water in your pan (oils only), keep a good "seasoning" so you never have to scrape hard, and never clean with soap or steel wool (can break down the seasoning exposing the iron surface).

... But I suspect that most people don't know how to take care of one properly.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Baby Steps (30th October 2019), Cara (30th October 2019), conk (30th October 2019), Franny (30th October 2019), RunningDeer (29th October 2019), sunwings (31st October 2019), Tam (12th November 2019), toppy (4th November 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

We used to ask the kids, "who wants chocolate pudding"? Of course they did, so we served them the following:

2 very ripe avocadoes
    1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
    1 tablespoon of almond milk
    A squirt of stevia

Mix very well and chill for a few hours. This results in a fantastic, non-dairy, no sugar "pudding". The very picky young girls devoured it without knowing the secret. Tastes like regular pudding and has the same mouth feel.
    ----------------------------------
    Simple potato soup -

Just fooling around in a bare kitchen and came up with this:

Four cups of chicken broth
    2 large potatoes, cut into the size you like
    1 cup of cream
    1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
    1 cup of chopped asparagus
    garlic to taste
    1/2 tbl of olive oil
    Tarragon and coriander to taste, about 1/2 teaspoon each
    Salt & white pepper

Cook, serve, enjoy. Make plan to cook more soon!
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Baby Steps (30th October 2019), Cara (30th October 2019), DeDukshyn (30th October 2019), Franny (30th October 2019), RunningDeer (30th October 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Cara are you a psychic spy? Cause I swear I've been meaning to start this thread.

Not much to add for the moment. I did make shakshuka for breakfast the other day which was great. Will report back with other culinary endeavors.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Cara (31st October 2019), DeDukshyn (31st October 2019), EFO (6th November 2019), RunningDeer (31st October 2019), wondering (31st October 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Cara are you a psychic spy? Cause I swear I've been meaning to start this thread.

Not much to add for the moment. I did make shakshuka for breakfast the other day which was great. Will report back with other culinary endeavors.
    Psychic spy? Who knows.... maybe it’s in the ether

Shakshouka - yummy! We get all sorts of versions in the Middle East.

*I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Baby Steps (5th November 2019), DeDukshyn (31st October 2019), EFO (6th November 2019), Kryztian (5th November 2019), rgray222 (31st October 2019), RunningDeer (31st October 2019), Strat (31st October 2019), T Smith (4th November 2019), wondering (31st October 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,592 times in 5,379 posts

Couldn't sleep. Had a hankering for cookies:

Chocolate chip cookies

3/4 brown sugar
    3/4 white sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla

mix together until almost smooth, done when dough doesn't stick to bowl

sift together:

2 1/4 cup flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

mix into batter in 3 portions, done when batter doesn't stick to bowl
    add 1 cup semi-sweet chips, 1 cup walnuts optional

spoon onto litely greased (buttered) cookie sheet
    use tsp-sized portions
    sheet holds about 18 cookies
    addendum: smaller portions make superior cookies, lighter, crispy outside soft inside

bake at 350F for 6 - 7 minutes

makes about 70 cookies
    oh so good!
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 31st October 2019 at 09:00. Reason: spelling
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Cara (31st October 2019), DeDukshyn (31st October 2019), RunningDeer (31st October 2019), wondering (31st October 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,064 times in 902 posts

Ernie, Do you deliver?! wondering

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Cara (1st November 2019), DeDukshyn (31st October 2019), RunningDeer (31st October 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Well, I am looking for a career change...how far to your house?
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Cara (1st November 2019), DeDukshyn (31st October 2019), RunningDeer (31st October 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,064 times in 902 posts

Unfortunately in a different country! But I might try the recipe!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Cara (1st November 2019), DeDukshyn (4th November 2019), Ernie Nemeth (2nd November 2019), RunningDeer (1st November 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

Eat healthy whatever you want

Sunflower Seed Halva🍬 Eastern Sweets at Home ○ IrinaCooking
    Recipe for homemade halva:
    250 g sunflower seeds
    1-2 tsp sunflower oil
    100 g sugar
    50 ml water
    25 g honey
    20 g egg white

and n u t e l l a
    NUTELLA WITHOUT FLOUR and COOKING in 2 minutes. I don’t buy Nutella anymore
    Ingredients:
    150 g nuts (hazelnuts or peanuts)
    100 g butter
    300 g of condensed milk
    4-5 tsp cocoa (to taste)
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

angelfire (3rd November 2019), Cara (4th November 2019), DeDukshyn (4th November 2019), RunningDeer (4th November 2019), toppy (4th November 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

I used to look for The Soup Nazi's recipes. He is a genius soup maker.

Kramer always wanted Mulligatawny. Someone took a pic of the label on a 5 gallon pail of Mulligatawny soup (when he had stores) and posted it to the net. There are over 20 ingredients in it. We (a small group) made it once. Attempted to back engineer the label. It was sublime. It took over 2 hours to blend together and settle into a memorable gastronomic experience.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

Cara (4th November 2019), DeDukshyn (4th November 2019), RunningDeer (4th November 2019), toppy (4th November 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

러시아 꿀 케이크🍯허니 케이크 만들기 : Russian Honey Cake(Medovik) Recipe : Медовик - Cooking tree 쿠킹트리*Cooking ASMR
    Ingredients
    113g Unsalted butter
    100g Sugar
    3Ts(45ml) Honey
    3 Egg
    12g Baking soda 
    500g Plain flour

450g Sour Cream
    80g Powdered sugar
    Whipped cream (120g whipping cream + 10g sugar)

From time to time the quantities offered in video recipes doesn't match because the ingredients have different properties from country to country or geographical area to geographical area and therefor you have to experience yourself the proper quantities to have the exact results.

I made all recipes that I've posted or will be posted by me.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Cara (4th November 2019), DeDukshyn (4th November 2019), RunningDeer (4th November 2019), Tam (12th November 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

This is dish I really enjoy. I usually make it in the Fall and Winter when it's cold outside. The spices are so comforting and warming. It is nice served with basmati rice or chicken, depending on your dietary preferences.

Red Lentil Daal

(Serves 6)

Ingredients

• 2 cups red lentils
    • 2 Tbsp olive oil
    • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
    • 1 tsp cumin seeds
    • ¼ tsp ground cardamom
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
    • 1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes with their juice (can use a large can of diced tomatoes)
    • 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
    • 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
    • 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
    • 1 tsp ground turmeric
    • 1 tsp salt

Directions
    Sort through lentils and discard any pebbles or chaff. Place the sorted lentils in a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold, running water. Let drain.

Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottom 5-quart pan over medium-high heat and saute the onion until golden brown. Add the cumin seeds, cardamom, and garlic to the pan. Stir until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, cilantro, ginger, jalapeno pepper, turmeric, and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring often until the lentils become soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Baby Steps (5th November 2019), Bluegreen (12th November 2019), Cara (4th November 2019), DeDukshyn (4th November 2019), Delight (6th November 2019), Franny (14th November 2019), RunningDeer (4th November 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

First I tried this recipe
    New way of eating dumpling skins, real tasty

but we didn't like that stuffed onion so we adapt it in several ways as follow:
    1-fry the onion separately or fry the onion until is dark yellow up to light brown and then add the eggs;
    2-same as 1,but when the mixture was cooled we add grated cow cheese
    3-same as 1,but we add small cubes of home made dried smoked pork ham;
    4-we replace the onion with spinach and made the same as point 2 or 3;
    5-any kind of above recipe but instead of frying in pan,cooked in the oven.

The best recipe for us is the following:
    -fried onion and eggs,grated cow cheese,small cubes of dried smoked pork ham all put in strudel dough and baked in oven.Are better to be eaten when are hot with sour cream on top and some chopped dill sprinkled on top.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Baby Steps (5th November 2019), Cara (5th November 2019), Craig (4th November 2019), DeDukshyn (4th November 2019), Franny (14th November 2019), RunningDeer (4th November 2019), Tam (12th November 2019)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

An other successful tried recipe,also with small modified details.
    Рыбные консервы в томате в домашних условиях. Тушёнка
    Canned fish in tomato sauce at home. Stew 4

Original recipe in the video according to my Russian language knowledge (here Russian speakers could give us a little help or confirm it with thanks in advance ) :
    - half glass of oil;
    - 0,5 kg carrots;
    - 0,5 kg onions;
    - 5 Ts tomato paste;
    - 2-3 glasses of water;
    - 0,5-1 Ts of sugar;
    - salt.pepper and bay leaves according to your taste;
    - mackerel;
    - 0,5 litres jars.

Our recipe for 1kg of mackerel resulting in 1,6 kg of canned fish (2 jars of 0,8 liters each).All ingredients,excepting fish are from our vegetables garden grown without any chemicals at all,only some manure and/or compost.
    Ingredients:
    - 200-250 gr. sun flower oil (if you find unrefined sun flower oil the taste will be exquisite)
    - 250 gr. onion or 4 medium ones;
    - 0,5 kg carrots;
    - tomato sauce by taste;
    - salt,sugar,black pepper,bay leaves by taste.

1- Chop the onions as fine as possible;
    2- Grind the carrots as fine as possible;
    3- Put the oil in the pan on fire and when is hot,add the onions and carrots in the same time and start stirring all the time otherwise you will burn the mixture;
    4-Taste the mixture from time to time to check if is fried enough according to your taste;
    5- When you consider that the fried mixture reached your taste,ad gradually the tomato sauce until is dense like kefir.
    6- Let the mixture boil about 10 minutes and then add the salt,sugar and bay leaves according to your taste.
    7- When you smell the aroma of bay leaves getting out of the pan,let the mixture boil at least 10 minutes more.
    8- After the mixture is ready,turn of the fire and immediately add the pepper by taste and put a lid on top to keep the aromas inside.
    9- Meanwhile prepare your blender/chopper and cut transverse the fish as in video (by cutting the fish you should have 5-6 pieces of it).
    10- Put the mixture in the blender/chopper and made a fine paste.
    11- Add a layer of chopped mixture on the bottom of the jar.
    12- Then add the first layer 4-5 pieces of fish.
    13- Then add an other layer of mixture until the first raw of fish is covered.
    14- Then add the second layer of fish as described at 12.
    15- Now add the final layer of mixture up to the top of the jar. (you should have 3 layers of mixture an 2 layers of fish).Close tight every lid of the jars
    16- Take a pot and put a towel on the bottom.Put the jars on the towel.Add slowly cold/room temperature water up to the top of the jars,but not covering the lid.Cover the jars wit an other towel and put the lid on the pot and start boil it for about 2-2,5 hrs and from time to time check the level of water in the pot,if it cover only 2/3 of the height of jar,replenish it up to the top again with boiled water.
    17- When you finished boiling,turn of the fire,take out the hot jars from the pot and putt them in a warm place and covered them with a blanket for the purpose if continuing sterilization until the next day.
    18- When you woke up next day,uncover the jars and put them in your storage closet.

After a week or when your appetite is unbearable,you can open it and you will find that will be the most tastiest canned fish you ever eat.The bones will be soft enough to be chewed without any risk of choking and don't forget the bread and pickles.Of course you can also ad mashed potatoes with milk,cream,butter,salt and a pinch of black pepper all by your desire

Enjoy!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Cara (5th November 2019), DeDukshyn (6th November 2019), Franny (14th November 2019), RunningDeer (5th November 2019), Tam (12th November 2019)

31. Link to Post #36
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Bumping over this recipe and winked me for future tests

47# La crème de marrons SANS épluchage !

For chestnuts puree
    -7 kg mashed chestnuts
    -5 kg sugar
    -1 liter water
    -liquid vanilla
    - rum

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Cara (5th November 2019), DeDukshyn (6th November 2019), Kryztian (5th November 2019), RunningDeer (5th November 2019), Tam (12th November 2019)

33. Link to Post #37
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,875 times in 1,034 posts

I Love my weekend breakfasts ! - A good old English Fry up, well actually Irish Fry up with the inclusion of homemade potato cake and white pudding sets me up for the weekend.
    But I hate the way the individual items have slowly been so processed over the changing years that I went back to basics and do it all myself.

First things first - a side of Pork which I joint and butcher for the freezer.
    Then the off cuts are minced separately meat/fat so that I can adjust the fat content depending on what I am making.

Irish sausage, Smoked Bacon, Irish White pudding, Black pudding, Tomatoes ( home grown ) Mushrooms - foraged ( well picked up on walk to bus stop each morning - watch out for the funny ones lol !! ) Potatoe cake ( Home grown ), eggs - my little blue avian friends lol !! - Yes blue avians exist lol !!)

The best breakfast in the world !!

Last edited by Did You See Them; 6th November 2019 at 11:06.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bluegreen (12th November 2019), Cara (7th November 2019), Craig (6th November 2019), DeDukshyn (6th November 2019), EFO (6th November 2019), RunningDeer (6th November 2019), wondering (14th November 2019)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

Ummm! That plate of sausages! Yummy!

One of my favorite meals as a child was when dad would bring blood sausage home from the butcher's. There is a traditional Hungarian meal of three types of sausage: Debrcenyi (meat), Rice sausage (staple); and blood sausage. So good.

This may be shocking...so read with caution...those with weak constitutions...

I grew up on a tasty treat I would eat every day of my childhood as a snack and often for lunch.

Bacon grease on fresh bread with salt and paprika! I haven't eaten that in a very long time.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Cara (7th November 2019), DeDukshyn (6th November 2019), Did You See Them (6th November 2019), EFO (6th November 2019), RunningDeer (6th November 2019)

37. Link to Post #39
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,875 times in 1,034 posts

Ernie, I also make my own Morcilla - a Catalonian ( Spanish !! ) version of Blood sausage with rice and Paprika - Lovely !!

[IMG][/IMG]

and as for you snack - well I always have a jar of dripping to hand - to make exactly what you have above ( minus the paprika here UK - it used to be a bit of a staple once - My grandparents got me into bread and dripping !

Am I showing my age ?
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 6th November 2019 at 12:03.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Cara (7th November 2019), DeDukshyn (6th November 2019), EFO (6th November 2019), Ernie Nemeth (17th November 2019), RunningDeer (6th November 2019)

39. Link to Post #40
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Did You See Them,you killed me with your photos and you made me to add my own photos of what we cook
    Last edited by EFO; 6th November 2019 at 15:17.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Cara (7th November 2019), Did You See Them (6th November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast