+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dancing with Wolves

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,754 times in 978 posts

Default Dancing with Wolves

The Serengeti Rules is an amazing documentary on Keystone Species which are vital for the healthy functioning of an ecosystem, Examples of Keystone Species are Wolves, Pumas, African Elephants, Otters, Starfish; amongst others. Not all keystone species are predators but may be herbivores, the common denominator is that if you remove one of these from the natural habitat the whole ecosystem collapses with devastating results.

Here's a video explaining the impact of the re-introduction of Wolves to Yellowstone National Park in 1995 after an absence of 70 years.

Here is the documentary mentioned.

The Serengeti Rules

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/the-...-41dfru/20105/

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b8p4/unlocking-natures-secrets-the-serengeti-rules
    Last edited by Peter UK; 9th December 2019 at 01:50.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Peter UK For This Post:

anandacate (8th December 2019), Anka (3rd January 2020), Arcturian108 (8th December 2019), Ben (9th December 2019), Bill Ryan (8th December 2019), Billy (8th December 2019), Blacklight43 (8th December 2019), East Sun (8th December 2019), EFO (8th December 2019), Forest Denizen (11th December 2019), Franny (8th December 2019), Ioneo (8th December 2019), jjjones (9th December 2019), Justplain (8th December 2019), kfm27917 (8th December 2019), ljwheat (9th December 2019), Mike (8th December 2019), Patient (8th December 2019), rgray222 (8th December 2019), RogeRio (8th December 2019), Sadieblue (8th December 2019), Satori (9th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (10th December 2019), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2019), toppy (9th December 2019), Victoria (8th December 2019), wondering (8th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Victoria's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,525 times in 277 posts

Default Re: Dancing with Wolves

ahhh ...wolves...the sound of their voices is so hauntingly ethereal. Thank you for posting this, Peter! Everything in this beautiful world is connected.

When I was very little my grandmother gave me a record called, "The Language and Music of the Wolves." I was whole-heartedly captivated.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwEmJY5T6o

(The following howls were recorded in
    Ontario, Michigan, and Minnesota.

SIDE 1 Robert Redford narrates
    "The Wolf You Never Knew"

SIDE 2 Sounds of the Wolf

- Band 1 - Opening howl
    - Band 2 - First Growls of Wolf Pups Inside the Den (Recorded underground in a wolf's den)

- Band 3 - Pup Howls - Spring & Fall -
    Contrasted with Adult
    - Band 4 - Barking
    - Band 5 - Series of 3 - Adjacent
    Single Howls
    - Band 6 - Comparative Difference
    in Howls '
    - Band 7 -
    Single Howls
    - Band 8 - Combined Sounds of The Wolf
    - Band 9 - Distant and Close-up Howling
    Ending in Group Howl
    - Band 10 - Series of Group Howls
    - Band 11 - Joint Group Howl )

May have written somewhere previously, but in one of my fondest childhood memories, I met a wild wolf. My parents and I were visiting family in the mountains for the Christmas holidays.  That year (1981, I was four) we had several feet of snow. Great grandparents, cousins and all their extended families, laughing and merrily celebrating. One evening as they were feasting, I asked if I could go look at the freshly fallen snow, sparkling like an ocean of diamonds under the moon.

I remember like it was just yesterday. My mother, in the doorway, fastening and tugging me into my little snowsuit with the attached mittens telling me not to lose them. She returned to dinner and off I went into the trees, with bright, new red mittens that had tiny tinkling silver bells on them.

The snow was mounded up to my waist and shoulders...I had to crawl through it which was immense fun; pretending I was an animal in the wilderness.  I remember feeling so happy and free.  I could still see my family through the tall glass windows, sitting around the table carrying on in the soft glow of candle light , when I noticed something watching me from a few meters away.

It was a very large wolf. I reached my hand out and it slowly walked closer. It bit softly into my mitten and pulled. As I nervously pulled back, the mitten came off my hand. It was still fastened to my suit by a red ribbon through the sleeves. The wolf didn't let go, but pulled harder, looking into my eyes.  Then he softened his bite and let go.

I stumbled back through the snow and into the house to steal some turkey and ham, bringing it outside for him. He waited near the trees and ate cautiously,  watching me very carefully. I went to get more.   Several times.

Then, he became playful and started dashing around me kicking up the snow with every leap, grabbing my sleeve and mitten again and pulling. It was a game.  He tore the mitten off of my suit and playfully raced around me with it. The bells were jingling as he ran. I tried to chase him, but he was so fast and I was so small.

I named him Jingles and I loved him!  We played in the snow until someone finally remembered I was outside and came to get me. He dashed away with the mitten, but returned again every night while we were there. It was the highlight of my holiday and I have remembered that wolf all of my life.

I was able to show Jingles to my mother just before we left. Years later, she confirmed he was indeed a huge Gray Wolf and she had been frightened of him when she saw him. Our family said they had never seen one so close before, but he returned nightly for many months waiting near the tree line.  
    Last edited by Victoria; 8th December 2019 at 18:57.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Victoria For This Post:

anandacate (9th December 2019), Anka (3rd January 2020), Ben (9th December 2019), Bill Ryan (8th December 2019), East Sun (8th December 2019), Forest Denizen (11th December 2019), Franny (8th December 2019), jjjones (9th December 2019), Marsha Piper (19th February 2020), OopsWrongPlanet? (8th February 2020), Patient (8th December 2019), Peter UK (8th December 2019), Sadieblue (8th December 2019), Satori (9th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (10th December 2019), toppy (9th December 2019), wnlight (10th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,754 times in 978 posts

Default Re: Dancing with Wolves

Another amazing keystone species, the beaver.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post834629

Last edited by Peter UK; 8th February 2020 at 09:11.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter UK For This Post:

Anka (8th February 2020), Bill Ryan (8th February 2020), Marsha Piper (19th February 2020)

+ Reply to Thread