+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best camera and sensor security system?

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Default Best camera and sensor security system?

So i got robbed this week, yay!

On Christmas day, i went to a party near my home, and while i was out someone i know broke my door and took several items

An iMac 27'' with the best specs available on the website :/
    A mid level mac mini
    Two laptop hard drives + enclosures + laptop memory modules i had lying around + extra keyboard+mouse kits
    My microwave
    Around $1000 in cash
    One 43'' tv
    One 35'' tv
    A hand gun i kept for personal safety (which i already reported lost so cops can track it in case something happens)
    My car wheel covers
    All my clothes (? wtf freak? )

LMAO! i wish i could find the guy but he's gone from the city, i think he planned to go away in any case. Neighbors said he was calling me to open for about 20 minutes before he kicked the door open and took away all my stuff

Anyways he took my stuff and ran away, but i have someone who will be detained tomorrow morning that helped the guy, thing is, he didn't know there were cameras on the building in front of mine and he shows up there

I need to move anyway so i was wondering if someone here knows what would be the best camera + sensors that turn lights + sends some kind of warning to cell phones when someone opens the door or similar. The front building had cameras and they do catch the guy but too late + not good quality so we can't clearly see the face, but we know it is him due to other stuff like someone already giving him up

I just would like to have something better for the next place, like a high quality camera + lights on when someone gets close + warning on cell phone or other devices if someone goes in without me shutthing down the system before i open the door

Any info/links will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by Mashika; 28th December 2019 at 06:05.
    Tired

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Forest Denizen (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), justntime2learn (28th December 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th December 2019), Mike (28th December 2019), Ratszinger (28th December 2019), RunningDeer (28th December 2019), Strat (28th December 2019), Tintin (28th December 2019), toppy (28th December 2019), wegge (28th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Victoria's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,525 times in 277 posts

Default Re: Best camera and sensor security system?

Hi Mashika,

So sorry that happened, but glad one of the suspects was detained. Avigilon has fairly good high resolution cameras (http://avigilon.com/products/video-security/overview/), Umbo CV (https://umbocv.ai/) offers good AI, and Deep Sentinel (https://www.deepsentinel.com/) offers great *sometimes comical* active monitoring...at least, in the US. I can check what might be best for use in other countries in the AM if that would be more helpful.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Victoria For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Forest Denizen (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), justntime2learn (28th December 2019), Mashika (28th December 2019), Ratszinger (28th December 2019), Richard S. (29th December 2019), Strat (28th December 2019), Tintin (28th December 2019), toppy (28th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by arborealis (here)
    Hi Mashika,

So sorry that happened, but glad one of the suspects was detained. Avigilon has fairly good high resolution cameras (http://avigilon.com/products/video-security/overview/), Umbo CV (https://umbocv.ai/) offers good AI, and Deep Sentinel (https://www.deepsentinel.com/) offers great *sometimes comical* active monitoring...at least, in the US. I can check what might be best for use in other countries in the AM if that would be more helpful.
    Thank you so much, looks like Avigilon may be the best one, i'm kind of looking for an integrated solution that takes care all of stuff, they seem to have a lot of options and maybe they can merge some of them into what i need. I'l look into how to contact them in a bit

Thanks again, i'm really in a need to move quickly and in real need of a serious security system

By the way deepsentinel does have some comical stuff LMAO

Honestly i was very angry but luckily i do have insurance of all my stuff so that's cool, it still makes me angry though, that someone like that is out there :/

I must not be the only victim for this guy and that makes me very angry, but cops will have the last say on that
    Tired

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Forest Denizen (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), justntime2learn (28th December 2019), Ratszinger (28th December 2019), Tintin (28th December 2019), toppy (28th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Really sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope the guy is caught and thrown under the jail. Keep us updated.

Are you going to check craigslist/ebay, and pawn shops to see if you can find some of your stuff?

This may be of some value to folks:
    Last edited by Strat; 28th December 2019 at 10:01.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Alan (30th December 2019), Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), ExomatrixTV (29th December 2019), Forest Denizen (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), Mashika (28th December 2019), Ratszinger (28th December 2019), Rosco1 (28th December 2019), Tintin (28th December 2019), toppy (28th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 times in 1,397 posts

I've got the Arlo Pro II series wireless cameras w/five cameras that I can see live with my phone whenever it notifies one of us with a motion. The batteries are the only real issue with this but even these have been lasting on average about 4 months before needing recharged. There is a pro III now even better I hear. I haven't looked into it but the PRO II was a cinch to set up and we love it. Be careful where you buy it and make sure it comes in the right box from them not a white generic box. Those are refurbished and while many of them work like those sold off Home Shopping Network they only sell the refurbished ones or ones owned and sent back. Get new! Trust me!
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Forest Denizen (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), Mashika (28th December 2019), Richard S. (29th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,565 times in 32,726 posts

Hey, Mashika: I'm so very very sorry that happened. That's a lot of valuable stuff. (And maybe some irreplaceable data if lost... ugh. )

I don't have any advice about house security, I'm afraid. But I really do hope the lead the police have means you can get it all back.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), Mashika (28th December 2019), Ratszinger (28th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019), Yoda (31st December 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

That's some set of neighbours you have there.

They watched a guy for 20 minutes, shouting for you, then kicking your door in! I presume he must've made multiple trips in and out of your home carrying all of that stuff, he must've had a vehicle near-by to get away with all of that stuff........ And the neighbours never thought to call the cops? From start to finish, he must've been there for at least 30 minutes...... Plenty of time for the cops to turn-up and apprehend him 'in the act'.

Something smells with this.

Perhaps you need to choose your 'friends' with a bit more discernment in the future.

Good luck.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Caliban (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), Mashika (28th December 2019), Ratszinger (28th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

First of all, like everyone else here, I am sorry that this had to happen to you, and this sort of thing always makes me very angry. We've had a few break-ins here in the building where I live as well, including in the apartment of my next door neighbor ─ an elderly lady who's going on 87 now ─ and it happened while she was only out of her apartment for half an hour, even.

There has also been a break-in attempt against my own apartment, but I was home when it happened, and I have a habit of leaving my key in the lock when I'm home. A professional lock picker can tell right away, so I heard someone trying to pick my lock, and before I could even get up, I heard the guy rushing down the stairs and bolt out the door.

Their usual modus operandi is to stake out the building for a while so as to get an idea on the coming and going. So now I pay attention to any suspicious cars that are parked in the street outside of office hours.

It's hard to monitor during the daytime on weekdays, because I live above a physiotherapy practice with three therapists, and there are easily two-hundred people coming for therapy every day. But a car parked at night, with a guy sitting behind the wheel but not doing anything, that's suspicious.

Anyway, I don't know much about any cameras, but what I will advise you is to get cameras that do not use a wireless connection, because they can be hacked into ─ and usually quite easily too. So make sure that your cameras are connected to the internal network by way of a CAT5e or CAT6 UTP cable. In addition to that, there are little battery-powered devices that you can buy with a motion sensor and an alarm in them. If they detect motion, then you've only got a limited amount of time ─ usually about three seconds ─ to switch off the device, or it'll sound the alarm (which is very loud). Mounting one of them close to your front door (but out of sight) might not be a bad idea.

Lastly, on account of firearms, if you're going to have one, then you should either lock it in a vault with a strong combination lock, or you should get a carry permit ─ I know, that's hard to come by, but still. A gun lying around unprotected in your house is of no use, and will surely get stolen by any burglar who manages to get in.

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

One simple, low tech solution Mashika, would be to get a dog. People naturally tend to be a bit hesitant at entering a house with a barking dog in the first place. Proven over time to be an excellent deterrent.

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 times in 1,397 posts

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    So i got robbed this week, yay!

On Christmas day, i went to a party near my home, and while i was out someone i know broke my door and took several items

An iMac 27'' with the best specs available on the website :/
    A mid level mac mini
    Two laptop hard drives + enclosures + laptop memory modules i had lying around + extra keyboard+mouse kits
    My microwave
    Around $1000 in cash
    One 43'' tv
    One 35'' tv
    A hand gun i kept for personal safety (which i already reported lost so cops can track it in case something happens)
    My car wheel covers
    All my clothes (? wtf freak? )

LMAO! i wish i could find the guy but he's gone from the city, i think he planned to go away in any case. Neighbors said he was calling me to open for about 20 minutes before he kicked the door open and took away all my stuff

Anyways he took my stuff and ran away, but i have someone who will be detained tomorrow morning that helped the guy, thing is, he didn't know there were cameras on the building in front of mine and he shows up there

I need to move anyway so i was wondering if someone here knows what would be the best camera + sensors that turn lights + sends some kind of warning to cell phones when someone opens the door or similar. The front building had cameras and they do catch the guy but too late + not good quality so we can't clearly see the face, but we know it is him due to other stuff like someone already giving him up

I just would like to have something better for the next place, like a high quality camera + lights on when someone gets close + warning on cell phone or other devices if someone goes in without me shutthing down the system before i open the door

Any info/links will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    I didn't mean to ignore your pain in my post. I guess I was so focused on the camera and security aspect I completely forgot the humanitarian part of it. I too am sorry for your loss and pain and I do know that pain too well myself! It's never a good place and one of those memories I'd rather not have. I wish you well in tracking it all down and healing from it. By the way on that camera system. While we do indeed like the cameras their light system which they do offer is problematic in many ways. I would avoid those as they are a headache compared to the cameras. Get your own local bought lighting. The cameras don't really need any either for that matter they do see quite well with infrared at night. The zoom feature is pretty cool and the microphone aspect of it where I can see a coon crawling up in the bird feeder and shout out from the built in mic, "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE!?" just to watch his eyes get big as walnuts and him dart off at a fast pace! They offer a pretty cool door bell kit with camera, mic and all that too so you can actually talk to them at the front door as if you are home but for all they really know you are on your phone seeing them remotely and miles away. All for like $300 US dollars if you find the right deals.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th December 2019), Frank V (28th December 2019), Franny (28th December 2019), Gracy (28th December 2019), Mashika (28th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

19. Link to Post #11
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,909 times in 20,684 posts

Simple solution, raise an ISIS flag in your front yard. The Police, CIA and FBI will watch your house 24 hours a day for you free of charge.
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 29th December 2019 at 02:31.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Alan (30th December 2019), Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), conk (3rd January 2020), Forest Denizen (29th December 2019), Frank V (29th December 2019), Mashika (30th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #12
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    Simple solution, raise an ISIS flag in your front yard. The Police, CIA and FBI will watch your house 24 hours a day for you free of charge.
    LMFAO! That could actually work where i am right now

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    One simple, low tech solution Mashika, would be to get a dog. People naturally tend to be a bit hesitant at entering a house with a barking dog in the first place. Proven over time to be an excellent deterrent.
    Unfortunately i wasn't allowed to have a dog at my current place, but i may be able to have one on the next place, i plan to move to a house instead of an apartment so i'll be free to customize it a bit more and have a garden and possibly a dog, my current place was very small also and no pets allowed
    Tired

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), Frank V (30th December 2019), Gracy (30th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

23. Link to Post #13
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,909 times in 20,684 posts

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Unfortunately i wasn't allowed to have a dog at my current place, but i may be able to have one on the next place, i plan to move to a house instead of an apartment so i'll be free to customize it a bit more and have a garden and possibly a dog, my current place was very small also and no pets allowed

I was joking (being totally hilarious sarcastic) I think most know that!
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), Frank V (30th December 2019), Mashika (30th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

25. Link to Post #14
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by The Moss Trooper (here)
    That's some set of neighbours you have there.

They watched a guy for 20 minutes, shouting for you, then kicking your door in! I presume he must've made multiple trips in and out of your home carrying all of that stuff, he must've had a vehicle near-by to get away with all of that stuff........ And the neighbours never thought to call the cops? From start to finish, he must've been there for at least 30 minutes...... Plenty of time for the cops to turn-up and apprehend him 'in the act'.

Something smells with this.

Perhaps you need to choose your 'friends' with a bit more discernment in the future.

Good luck.
    The guy wasn't a "friend" but i know him from school, we took some classes together and had him over a couple times along with other people when working on some projects, i'm not sure why he was knocking on my door since we barely talked twice in the past 4 months and just like for 5 minutes each time. I think he was just testing if i was home or not and he knew i had lots of expensive stuff there

And yeah useless neighbours, they don't care for other people and rather keep quiet than to get in trouble in any way, cops did show up about 20/30 minutes after he broke in so it was pointless at that time, and no camera captured what car he had, except the one camera that shows him taking things out and walking out of camera reach over and over. There was plenty of time to call the cops and no one did until very late :/
    Tired

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), Frank V (30th December 2019), Victoria (30th December 2019)

27. Link to Post #15
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Hey, Mashika: I'm so very very sorry that happened. That's a lot of valuable stuff. (And maybe some irreplaceable data if lost... ugh. )

I don't have any advice about house security, I'm afraid. But I really do hope the lead the police have means you can get it all back.
    Thank you Mr. Bill, i do have daily online backups of everything (learned the hard way when i lost tons of pictures on a stolen phone 3 years ago (about 4 years worth of pictures from vacations and Christmas + other things i could never get back, like some family pictures i saved from an older phone that had my grand parents in them, which have passed away now)

Lucky i had encrypted the hard drives on the macs so no chance this guy or anyone else will be able to access my stuff
    Tired

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), ExomatrixTV (30th December 2019), Frank V (30th December 2019), Strat (30th December 2019)

29. Link to Post #16
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I was joking (being totally hilarious sarcastic) I think most know that!
    Yep got that So replied laughing at how funny it was.

But honestly i think that still could work where i am! As funny and incredible as it sounds
    Tired

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), ExomatrixTV (30th December 2019), Frank V (30th December 2019)

31. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member Jad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 times in 283 posts

Check out this website https://www.hdmask.com/
    They have a small security camera that looks like a phone charger plugged in the wall. It works on WiFi and you can see a live feed from your smart phone.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jad For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th December 2019), Frank V (30th December 2019), Mashika (31st December 2019)

33. Link to Post #18
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jad (here)
    Check out this website https://www.hdmask.com/
    They have a small security camera that looks like a phone charger plugged in the wall. It works on WiFi and you can see a live feed from your smart phone.
    Thank you! This looks very interesting, it says it only supports 32 gb cards, wonder how much that lasts for high quality video. Would be nice if you could use 128 gb cards or upload to online storage somewhere

The motion sensor is something i'm really looking for + notification, that way i know someone is inside when no one should be there, exactly what i wanted so this looks very close to it
    Tired

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st December 2019), Frank V (31st December 2019)

35. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Jad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 times in 283 posts

You don’t have to worry about the lack of storage since the camera only starts recording when it detects motion which would send you an alert to your phone immediately and you can call the authorities while you’re monitoring live what’s happening in real time. Most common burglaries won’t last more 30 minutes and 32GB would be more than enough to give you all the footage you need before the cops show up to the scene. I don’t think you can find a cheaper/discrete/practical solution on the market. The Arlo system looks like a camera and it costs hundreds of $$$.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jad For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st December 2019), Frank V (31st December 2019), Mashika (31st December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread