Thread: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

1. Link to Post #2241
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,019 times in 5,326 posts

Lightbulb Re: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

Wim Hof's take on Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Lets say we have a list of Top 10 best cures without any bad side-effects against any Flu Virus.

How much money & effort (by governments & "concerned agencies") would it cost to promote that on ALL mainstream media outlets VERSUS total lock-down bankrupting most of the economy (and taking away our freedoms) plus all the "after effects" of many people losing jobs, mortgages etc. etc. meanwhile the banks get 1,5 Trillion Bailout (payed by who?).

cheers,
    John Kuhles 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 21st March 2020 at 12:43.
    ~no need2follow anyone only consider to broaden (y)our horizon of possibilities
    ~new: Stop5G.net & FB groups/Stop5G

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Alan (21st March 2020), Basho (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), ClearWater (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), gini (21st March 2020), leavesoftrees (22nd March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), sllim11 (21st March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st March 2020), Sunny (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020)

3. Link to Post #2242
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,706 times in 1,306 posts

Default Re: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

Quote Posted by take (here)
    This will be no doubt an unpopular opinion here, but hear me out. I'm agreeing with what I'm about to say on a rational, factual level, but not on an emotional level.

Coronavirus is good for the planet. And for humanity.
    There are way too many people that live way too long, unnaturally old. Best case scenario, they don't have to spend the last 10 years of their life suffering on a hospital bed with their personality and memory gone, but they can die a natural, quick death, which is a beautiful thing. Death is a natural, NESCESSARY thing that can also be beautiful.
    Anyway, my point being that People consume resources and fly in a manner that WILL lead to a catastrophe sooner or later if nothing is done. The virus reminds us of that. Our way of life these days is unsustainable. Not. Sustainable.

In a purely biologial point of view, and in the longer run, the more people this thing kills, the better it is in the longer run for humanity as a species, and for the planet. May sound harsh, but that's just nature. No good, no bad, just one thing after another.

The price we pay now is a short period of (mostly) individual tragedies, but this will clear the air (literally). Reducing the population is what is needed in order to survive as a species. In fact, the positive impact this thing has already had on the environment, climate, and the quality of air, it's probably saved more lives than it's taken.

Please don't judge, this is not meant to belittle anyone's shortcomings and my heart goes out to anyone and everyone suffering because of this.

Oh and btw, I will definitely take the vaccine if they come up with one, not for myself, but for those around me.
    This is essentially a eugenicist's argument --almost to a T. I have no problem with the argument, per se, and agree with its premise. No judgements here. What I do have a problem, with, however--is when said argument becomes conflated with humans wielding its words to assume the role of deity, when a certain group of elitist intellectuals, e.g. Club of Rome, Bill Gates Foundation, etc., make it their mission to execute the argument per their limited understanding of it, and when they endeavor to determine just how it should be done.

If the coronavirus is indeed a product of natural evolution, your post resonates with me. If it was created in a lab, either as a a bioweapon of power and domination, or even if its ultimate objective is meant to achieve the more noble aim at "clearing the air," so to speak, you won't find me in the camp where the ends justify the means.

Carry on...

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Basho (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), bluestflame (22nd March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), gini (21st March 2020), happyuk (22nd March 2020), mountain_jim (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Satori (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

5. Link to Post #2243
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,455 times in 637 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Phoenix (here)
    Bill, why do you believe in the figures the WHO and MSM is putting out? This whole thing is a scam, yet you're so entranced by the figures and horesh*t science about the 'virus.' Why?
    Thanks! I think I know what you mean, but it's not a 'scam'. (Meaning, an 'invention' or something 'unreal'.) Real people are suffering out there. It's not the Truman Show.
    Bill, no one says that "real people" are NOT suffering. The questions by all reputable skeptics have been about what it is they are suffering from and how that has been determined or not determined.

I haven't seen you address what Rappaport and others have been saying about the testing and often, about the NON-testing. Why not give it a go? These are important questions which is why he keeps going back again and again to those questions:

Even assuming that researchers actually discovered COV—the diagnostic test, at best, might indicate the patient has a tiny, tiny amount of COV in his body. But, in order to cause illness, he would need to have millions and millions of virus actively replicating in his body. The test has never been proved to be capable of detecting that.

And on top of all this, the overwhelming percentage of “COV cases” in the world have been diagnosed WITHOUT THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST for the virus.

Therefore, what we’re left with are many people, with all sorts of different conditions, caused by many different factors—irrationally collected together under one label.

https://blog.nomorefakenews.com/2020...-real-science/

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Basho (21st March 2020), Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), DaveToo (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), kanishk (22nd March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), sllim11 (21st March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020)

7. Link to Post #2244
    Great Britain Avalon Member Free Bird's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gbfromsea (here)
    I've been trying to wrap my brain around the numbers being posted about Covid-19 cases around the world and the numbers seems to vary greatly. I've been drilling down from this website: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ Down the page they have a list of countries sorted by number of cases descending. If you look to the right there is a column for Active Cases and for Critical Cases. This is what I find so puzzling. If you look at Italy they claim to have (at the time of this writing) 2655 Critical cases but if you look at Germany they only have 2 Critical Cases. The U.S. is listing 64 as Active Critical (for the whole Country.) They go as far to list the "mild" cases on the individual State pages e.g. USA 19,146 Mild Condition out of a total of 19,240. Anyway this seems like too much of a disparity. I did a search for just how many people have been hospitalized with Covid-19 but haven't been able to find a page with running totals for active cases. It seems to me that this would be the most important number to know. If the Hospitals are filling up with critical Covid-19 cases versus people testing positive but experiencing mild symptoms and staying home doesn't seem to being tracked in a meaningful way.

No wonder a lot of people think this is B.S. it doesn't add up.
    I agree it doesn't add up. For the last 3 days at least, the UK has had 20 serious, critical cases but the daily death toll has been running at 33+. Surely they would have been critical prior to dying?

I think the UK's ICU beds are already at capacity and they are not letting on. From now on, if you are seriously ill and require intensive support, the odds of surviving will be less.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Free Bird For This Post:

Basho (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), DaveToo (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), onevoice (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

9. Link to Post #2245
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 times in 565 posts

Quote Posted by Free Bird (here)

I agree it doesn't add up. For the last 3 days at least, the UK has had 20 serious, critical cases but the daily death toll has been running at 33+. Surely they would have been critical prior to dying?

I think the UK's ICU beds are already at capacity and they are not letting on. From now on, if you are seriously ill and require intensive support, the odds of surviving will be less.

Anyone from the UK, please take 12 minutes to listen to the Director of a London Intensive Unit Ward. It is heartbreaking to hear his frustration at British political administration who seem to be operating from a parallel universe.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Dorjezigzag (21st March 2020), Free Bird (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

11. Link to Post #2246
    Thanks
    Thanked 323,173 times in 23,933 posts

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)

I haven't seen you address what Rappaport and others have been saying about the testing and often, about the NON-testing. Why not give it a go? These are important questions which is why he keeps going back again and again to those questions:
    I took the time to listen very carefully to Jon Rappoport on Infowars 4 days ago, on 17 March.

https://banned.video/watch?id=5e7150043b4c4d00a2225434

Source:
    I found it embarrassing to listen to. You might feel the same way, too. Having given that my best shot, I now disregard everything he says — and how he says it.

There are many smart, perceptive, and well-informed voices out there that we should listen carefully to. Others may feel differently; but in my opinion, Rappoport is no longer one of them.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 21st March 2020 at 14:46.

12. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Eligos (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), George (22nd March 2020), leavesoftrees (22nd March 2020), onevoice (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020)

13. Link to Post #2247
    Thanks

In my strong opinion, his presentation was childish, immature and ill-founded. Do watch this.

It was embarrassing to listen to. You might feel the same way, too. Having given that my best shot, I now disregard everything he says (and how he says it).

There are many smart, perceptive, and well-informed voices out there that we should listen carefully to. In my opinion, Rappoport is no longer one of them.

You're avoiding his questions, Bill. You go on and on posting about the #'s of people with this COV19 but you totally avoid the questions regarding testing and determination of cases.

Whether someone appears childish to you or not (and that Video is NOT what I referenced) is not the point. The point is you are NOT dealing with a very, very fundamental issue regarding the narrative of this so-called Pandemic.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

15. Link to Post #2248
    Thanks

In my strong opinion, his presentation was childish, immature and ill-founded. Do watch this.

It was embarrassing to listen to. You might feel the same way, too. Having given that my best shot, I now disregard everything he says (and how he says it).

There are many smart, perceptive, and well-informed voices out there that we should listen carefully to. In my opinion, Rappoport is no longer one of them.
    You're avoiding his questions, Bill. You go on and on posting about the #'s of people with this COV19 but you totally avoid the questions regarding testing and determination of cases.

Whether someone appears childish to you or not (and that Video is NOT what I referenced) is not the point. The point is you are NOT dealing with a very, very fundamental issue regarding the narrative of this so-called Pandemic.
    https://banned.video/watch?id=5e7150043b4c4d00a2225434

Source: "I was embarrassed", of course I was embarrassed for him.

This is a lion in winter. He's done heroic work in his career, but here's he's past his sharpest and best, reduced to sarcasm like a child in a playground. Just listen. (Gerald Celents is the same, btw.)

It's not "Fake, Fake, Fake", as Rappoport says again and again. It's real. There are real people with real life-threatening issues. The numbers are NOT very large yet — in fact, they're tiny — but it's where it's heading that's important.

If you're standing on the highway with a Mack truck bearing down on you at 70 mph, but it's still a quarter mile away, you don't need to be too smart to realize it'll hit you pretty soon unless you get out the way.

But genuinely, you may not understand my position. I know this thread is very long now, and my own views are all distributed over different posts. Here's where I stand this morning:

I say this with genuine respect. But like Rappoport, your own view on this huge landscape doesn't seem to be taking into account nearly enough real-world factors and issues.
    • It's a bioweapon. I'm 100% certain.
    • I believe it was deliberately released. I suspect a "deep state" agency in the US. (Not China.) The cui bono? question is obvious to everyone reading this.
    • The many medical papers published are largely accurate, but there's still a lot that's not known about this. For instance, (a) it may be mutating, or (b) worse still, new strains may be being 'sown' covertly in different places to keep the forest fire burning.
    • The MSM are covering real stories with real people and (largely) real numbers, but have been vetoed from reporting on or investigating some of the most important issues and obvious questions.
    • Increasingly, several things feel obvious to me. I've commended on some of them earlier. Not all these are of equal importance!
    1. China's reported numbers can't be trusted.
    2. Unless there's a big reversal of policy in many nations (which seems unlikely), the global depression we're headed for will make the 1930s looks like a tea party. The markets will continue to fall and fall and fall. If Deutsche Bank fails, for instance (which is quite possible), then we're in the kind of edge-of-the-precipice situation similar to the collapse of Bear Stearns and Lehman in 2008.
    3. While the lockdowns can quite easily be rationalized, it seems increasingly hard to understand that governments can't see that the damage caused by a global depression will be almost greater than is easily imagined.
    4. The incompetence and lack of organization in the US, for many weeks now, increasingly starts to look criminally designed. The entire country could collapse. (I mean collapse.)
    5. There's going to be devastation and total chaos in the US, and also some smaller countries like Venezuela (which will be ravaged), and many countries in Africa. Other countries will fare better.
    6. Of course, the Tokyo Olympics will be canceled. (This is such a no-brainer it's hard to express!)
    7. Trump's re-election is in great danger. He's handled this really poorly, missing the opportunity to be an honest, inspiring, strong, tell-it-like-it-is leader. He may be being given poor advice (or being set up to fail), but he really doesn't seem to be aware of what's happening around him.
    8. Anything Qanon says about 'mass arrests" can be disregarded. I don't see Trump as being in any kind of control. It's just more Nesara-type (i.e. always happening next week) fantasy.
    9. Testing isn't the issue. It's not even that important. Soon, there'll be too many sick people to test anyway, using any methodology. (Bookmark that comment.) Real things are happening. Read Elainie's account of her own sickness (and her report of the phone call with her ex-CIA friend in intel, who said it was "100% a bioweapon", and who was "very shaken".)
    10. It's not "Fake, Fake, Fake". Bioweapons aren't "Fake".
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 21st March 2020 at 17:01.

16. The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adi (21st March 2020), Alan (21st March 2020), Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Cognitive Dissident (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), Dick (21st March 2020), Eligos (21st March 2020), ExomatrixTV (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Free Bird (21st March 2020), gini (21st March 2020), Green Futures (30th March 2020), Icare (22nd March 2020), Inaiá (22nd March 2020), justntime2learn (22nd March 2020), kudzy (21st March 2020), leavesoftrees (22nd March 2020), LifeAngel (22nd March 2020), meeradas (22nd March 2020), Metaphor (21st March 2020), mountain_jim (21st March 2020), NancyV (21st March 2020), onevoice (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Salv8tion (21st March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (21st March 2020), Satori (21st March 2020), Sérénité (22nd March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), Sunny (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), Wind (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020), Zionbrion (21st March 2020)

17. Link to Post #2249
    Thanks

Thanks for that above, Bill.

So your basic position is that Corona/Covid19 is not even an issue anymore, Wuhan virus, whatever they've called it. It's a bioweapon and it's mutating.

So the #'s of people they're saying have "it" can't be trusted because IT is not what they're saying IT is.

So how are you determining what's really happening? Whose #'s do you trust? This then seems like a total blind alley. People showing up at hospital could have regular flu, corona, effects of the bioweapon, PANIC attacks with symptoms, psychosomatic responses, any # of things.

I don't argue with the economic geopolitical stuff you said. But I don't see how #'s of people showing up can tell us that much anymore--unless we're getting deeply truthful reporting. Which we're not.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (21st March 2020), gini (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Satori (21st March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

19. Link to Post #2250
    Avalon Member Cognitive Dissident's Avatar
    In a galaxy not too far away from where you are right now
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,859 times in 360 posts

Great summary, Bill. I agree with you, although not 100%. I agree that it was created at the Wuhan bio lab from materials stolen from Canada and the Netherlands. I think it was most probably released accidentally (a worker unknowingly infected).

It is possible that the US deep state released it, but if that was the case they would know it would eventually come back to the US, which lacking the extremely strong state controls of China is likely to be even more badly affected (even though, of course, all Chinese numbers are fake, they seem to be controlling it better than, say Italy). Why would they damage their own power base so badly and uncontrollably? If they did it, why not make it target (for example) smokers only, so that Chinese men would be severely affected but less so Americans?

The one thing I agree with Davenport about is that this being used as a pretext to tighten the grip of the state, increased surveillance, cashless society, lockdown in breach of basic civil liberties. They will go as far and as fast as they can to eliminate freedom given this "opportunity" - "never let a good crisis go to waste" etc.

Testing is vital in the early stages but once it becomes too widespread there's no use anymore, as you say. The CDC did such a terrible job at the beginning, it is like those discussions people used to have about 9/11 - MIHOP or LIHOP?

One thing for sure, the wild craziness has only just started. It's going to be very hairy, we just have to hang onto the positive vision on the other side.

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cognitive Dissident For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Dick (21st March 2020), ExomatrixTV (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Metaphor (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Salv8tion (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

21. Link to Post #2251
    Thanks

So your basic position is that Corona/Covid19 is not even an issue anymore, Wuhan virus, whatever they've called it. It's a bioweapon and it's mutating.
    Thanks for your post, also.

I'm just saying the mechanics of testing are no longer relevant if you (or any friends or relatives) are fighting for their life on a respirator.

They are important for predicting growth scenarios, and tracking outbreak clusters (if possible! But soon that'll no longer be relevant as 'community spread' sets in everywhere, like with colds or flu).

But the reality of thousands of sick people I see as being self-evident. I don't believe we're in the Truman Show here, with everything out there being "Faked". To disbelieve all the thousands of reports coming in, even on Twitter and Facebook, and WeChat, is just head-in-the-sand denial.

It's not about the mainstream media.
    They spin the significances and implications, and filter the importances, but the numbers all this is based on are very largely real.

It's all more complex than that. The threats, and the realities, are all out there. Go to any of Chris Martenson's videos (or Dr John Campbell's) and read through the comments. There are many from health worker frontliners all over the world. They're not all trolls paid by the Deep State.

At some point, we need to start believing that some things out there are real. It's about the preponderance of evidence.

Or else we're in Flat Earth land, with the extreme view being that there's no way to "prove" that Cape Town or Moscow even exist at all if you've never been there. We all need to ask questions about everything, but we also need to be highly intelligent about all this, and this is where on this thread we can all help one another out.

22. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (21st March 2020), Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Cognitive Dissident (21st March 2020), Dick (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), frodo13 (21st March 2020), helium (22nd March 2020), kudzy (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Salv8tion (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020)

23. Link to Post #2252
    Thanks

It's all more complex than that. The threats, and the realities, are all out there. Go to any of Chris Martenson's videos (or Dr John Campbell's) and read through the comments. There are many from health worker frontliners all over the world. They're not all trolls paid by the Deep State.

At some point, we need to start believing that some things out there are real. It's about the preponderance of evidence.

Or else we're in Flat Earth land, with the extreme view being that there's no way to "prove" that Cape Town or Moscow even exist at all if you've never been there. We all need to ask questions about everything, but we also need to be highly intelligent about all this, and this is where on this thread we can all help one another out.

I just want to point out one thing in what you say. "At some point, we need to start believing that some things out there are real." I don't say you intended it like this but--- that is an insidious statement.

That is a subtle way of getting people to stop asking questions about this thing. That is something I've seen elsewhere from people I trust far less than Bill Ryan. It's also subtle in that it's a guilt-producing language tool --- Oh, you don't believe people are suffering, scared, ill....

In fact, the whole question of "what is real" is really the question. So never, my friends, stop asking that question, especially when there's billions of dollars at stake and the very essence of our liberties.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Basho (22nd March 2020), Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), happyuk (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

25. Link to Post #2253
    Thanks

In fact, the whole question of "what is real" is really the question. So never, my friends, stop asking that question, especially when there's billions of dollars at stake and the very essence of our liberties.
    Perfectly stated, and I couldn't agree more.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), happyuk (22nd March 2020), Metaphor (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Salv8tion (21st March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020)

27. Link to Post #2254
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,223 times in 2,683 posts

From Business Insider about 8 hours ago an interesting update on the number of nations now openly tracing via smartphone, and the surveillance technology behind them.

-----------------------------------------------

10 countries are now tracking phone data as the coronavirus pandemic heralds a massive increase in surveillance

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/coun...20-3?r=US&IR=T

Click image for larger version

Name:	5e68779754f25c5b430633c2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	42828

Governments across the world are galvanizing every surveillance tool at their disposal to help stem the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Countries have been quick to use the one tool almost all of us carry with us — our smartphones.

A new live index of ramped up security measures by Top10VPN details the countries which have already brought in measures to track the phones of coronavirus patients, ranging from anonymized aggregated data to monitor the movement of people more generally, to the tracking of individual suspected patients and their contacts, known as "contact tracing."

Other countries are likely to follow suit. The US is reportedly in talks with Facebook and Google to use anonymized location data to track the spread of the disease — although Mark Zuckerberg subsequently denied this. And the UK's top scientist has endorsed the use of contact tracing.

Samuel Woodhams, Top10VPN's Digital Rights Lead who compiled the index, warned that the world could slide into permanently increased surveillance.

"Without adequate tracking, there is a danger that these new, often highly invasive, measures will become the norm around the world," he told Business Insider.

"Although some may appear entirely legitimate, many pose a risk to citizens' right to privacy and freedom of expression. Given how quickly things are changing, documenting the new measures is the first step to challenging potential overreach, providing scrutiny and holding corporations and governments to account."

While some countries will cap their new emergency measures, otherwise may retain the powers for future use. "There is a risk that many of these new capabilities will continue to be used following the outbreak," said Woodhams.

"This is particularly significant as many of the new measures have avoided public and political scrutiny and do not include sunset clauses."

Here's a breakdown of which countries have started tracking phone data, with varying degrees of invasiveness:

South Korea gives out detailed information about patients' whereabouts.
    South Korea has gone a step further than other countries, tracking individuals' phones and creating a publicly available map to allow other citizens to check whether they may have crossed paths with any coronavirus patients.

The tracking data that goes into the map isn't limited to mobile phone data, credit card records and even face-to-face interviews with patients are being used to build a retroactive map of where they've been.

Not only is the map there for citizens to check, but the South Korean government is using it to proactively send regional text messages warning people they may have come into contact with someone carrying the virus.

The location given can be extremely specific, the Washington Post reported a text went out that said an infected person had been at the "Magic Coin Karaoke in Jayang-dong at midnight on Feb. 20."

Some texts give out more personal information however. A text reported by The Guardian read: "A woman in her 60s has just tested positive. Click on the link for the places she visited before she was hospitalised."

The director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Jeong Eun-kyeong, acknowledged that the site infringes on civil liberties, saying: "It is true that public interests tend to be emphasized more than human rights of individuals when dealing with diseases that can infect others."

The map is already interfering with civil liberties, as a South Korean woman told the Washington Post that she had stopped attending a bar popular with lesbians for fear of being outed. "If I unknowingly contract the virus... that record will be released to the whole country," she said.

The system is also throwing up other unexpected challenges. The Guardian reported that one man claiming to be infected threatened various restaurants saying he would visit and hurt their custom unless they gave him money to stay away.

Iran asked citizens to download an invasive app
    Vice reported that Iran's government endorsed a coronavirus diagnosis app that collected users' real-time location data.

On March 3, a message went out to millions of Iranian citizens telling them to install the app, called AC19, before going to a hospital or health center.

The app claimed to be able to diagnose the user with coronavirus by asking a series of yes or no questions. The app has since been removed from the Google Play store.

Israel passed new laws to spy on its citizens
    As part of a broad set of new surveillance measures approved by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on March 17, Israel's Security Agency will no longer have to obtain a court order to track individuals' phones. The new law also stipulates all data collected must be deleted after 30 days.

Netanyahu described the new security measures as "invasive" in an address to the nation.

"We'll deploy measures we've only previously deployed against terrorists. Some of these will be invasive and infringe on the privacy of those affected. We must adopt a new routine," said Netanyahu.

Singapore has an app which can trace people within 2m of infected patients
    Singapore's Government Technology Agency and the Ministry of Health developed an app for contact tracing called TraceTogether which launched on March 20.

Per the Straits Times, the app is used: "to identify people who have been in close proximity — within 2m for at least 30 minutes — to coronavirus patients using wireless Bluetooth technology."

"No geolocation data or other personal data is collected," TraceTogether said in an explanatory video.

Taiwan can tell when quarantined people have left the house
    Taiwan has activated what it calls an "electronic fence," which tracks mobile phone data and alerts authorities when someone who is supposed to be quarantined at home is leaving the house.

"The goal is to stop people from running around and spreading the infection," said Jyan Hong-wei, head of Taiwan's Department of Cyber Security. Jyan added that local authorities and police should be able to respond to anyone who triggers an alert within 15 minutes.

Austria is using anonymized data to map people's movements
    On March 17 Austria's biggest telecoms network operator Telekom Austria AG announced it was sharing anonymized location data with the government.

The technology being used was developed by a spin-off startup out of the University of Graz, and Telekom Austria said it is usually used to measure footfall in popular tourist sites.

Woodhams told Business Insider that while collecting aggregated data sets is less invasive than other measures, how that data could be used in future should still be cause for concern.

"Much of the data may remain at risk from re-identification, and it still provides governments with the ability to track the movement of large groups of its citizens," said Woodhams.

Belgium is using anonymized data from telcos
    The Belgian government gave the go-ahead on March 11 to start using anonymized data from local telecom companies.

Germany is modeling how people are moving around
    Deutsche Telekom announced on March 18 it would be sharing data with the Robert Koch Institute (Germany's version of the CDC).

"With this we can model how people are moving around nationwide, on a state level, and even on a community level," a spokesperson for Deutsche Telekom told Die Welt.

Italy has created movement maps
    Italy, which has been particularly hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak, has also signed a deal with telecoms operators to collect anonymized location data.

As of March 18 Italy had charged 40,000 of its citizens with violating its lockdown laws, per The Guardian.

The UK isn't tracking yet but is considering it
    For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.

While nothing official has been announced yet, the UK is in talks with major telecoms providers including O2 and EE are in talks to provide large sets of anonymized data.

Like other European democracies, the UK doesn't seem to be exploring the more invasive method of contact tracing. However, it is considering using aggregated data to track the wider pattern of people's movements.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

28. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Alan (21st March 2020), Basho (22nd March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Inaiá (22nd March 2020), justntime2learn (22nd March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Sérénité (22nd March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), Sunny (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), TrumanCash (22nd March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020)

29. Link to Post #2255
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,096 times in 1,192 posts

In my strong opinion, his presentation was childish, immature and ill-founded.

. . .

You may not feel the same, but that's how I felt. I found it painful to listen to. When I say "I was embarrassed", of course I was embarrassed for him.

This is a lion in winter. He's done heroic work in his career, but here's he's past his sharpest and best, reduced to sarcasm like a child in a playground. Just listen.
    Keep in mind that this man is (almost) 82 years old. Decades of research and hard work to uncover the crimes deep down the rabbit hole - only to see the whole thing getting worse and worse may have taken its toll on his calm, his patience and tolerance. Meanwhile he may feel like he‘s talking to stubborn, uncomprehending children (the general audience) - as the vast majority of people do not listen.

Appearance, self-presentation is not everything.
    It might even be misleading in some cases.

What I‘m seeing here is anger and increasing helplessness.
    What I find disturbing though, is looking at his eyes . . .
    Last edited by Iloveyou; 21st March 2020 at 16:52.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

Basho (22nd March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Dick (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), happyuk (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

31. Link to Post #2256
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    From Business Insider about 8 hours ago an interesting update on the number of nations now openly tracing via smartphone, and the surveillance technology behind them.
    Light relief: if they start tracking folks in Ecuador by smartphone, maybe they'd kindly buy me one.

32. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Caliban (21st March 2020), Chester (21st March 2020), ClearWater (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Inaiá (22nd March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Stephanie (21st March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020)

33. Link to Post #2257
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 times in 1,830 posts

This is an in depth look at the way medical martial law has been worked out and implemented over time. I found it interesting that Corbett discusses at length the Rockefeller scenario documents that are basically being enacted at this time.

I share the strong opinion that this event is being orchestrated with a very precise outcome in mind.

Medical Martial Law 2020

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Basho (22nd March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Eligos (21st March 2020), ErtheVessel (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), onevoice (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Sérénité (22nd March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), T Smith (21st March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

35. Link to Post #2258
    Thanks

Today's update from Dr John Campbell, visibly frustrated and aggrieved. (Justifiably so.)

Three caveats:
    1. He's totally mainstream. (He doesn't even think many supplements are of any value, but proudly takes 1000 IU of D3 a day. )
    2. He totally trusts the WHO (and China). That may be unwise!
    3. His updates are valuable to raise awareness of what's really happening out there. (But why it may be happening, he never touches.)

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (21st March 2020), Cognitive Dissident (22nd March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Metaphor (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020), Yoda (21st March 2020)

37. Link to Post #2259
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 16,921 times in 2,036 posts

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)

When you bury and hide your unused toilet paper make sure you leave your smartphone at home.

38. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Alecs (22nd March 2020), Ben Macdonald (21st March 2020), Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Dorjezigzag (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Inaiá (22nd March 2020), justntime2learn (22nd March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (22nd March 2020), Sunny (22nd March 2020), T Smith (22nd March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), Valerie Villars (21st March 2020)

39. Link to Post #2260
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,609 times in 3,282 posts

Mardi Gras was recent and large crowds congregated. Spring Break is happening now and large numbers of youth are gathering. If doubt makes people decide to ignore the evidence of Italy, it may blowback with a sickening breathless shock. I am very concerned that obesity (for one co-morbidity) is endemic where I live... not just a few pounds over but serious obesity. Where I live, there has been a slow response because all of the tourists support our economy. A third of the county is over 65. There is a hospital here with 5 ICU beds and NO VENTILATOR.

Whatever the source of a TRUE ANOMALY, I just do NOT comprehend the continued insistence that this no different from flu. saying it is not real or just the flu is HONEST DISINFORMATION IMO. This promotes NO reason to voluntarily behave AS IF this is real.

Tourists are everywhere here this weekend from Atlanta and Florida especially. No masks (OF COURSE there are no masks), (smaller than usual) crowds still shopping in the many places still open. Some places have stopped serving "in dining" and do carry out only. A well known hangout Chesters was said to be packed shoulder to shoulder Friday night.

The Mayor and city council of Blue Ridge on Friday was very self justifying... that no tested cases have been observed here. This created a bit of back lash from long time residents who have seen the news that they HAVE seen. People without symptoms (yet or ever) are still curiously RIGHT THERE in others' "face" before a serious spike in deadly symptoms other places.

Are all the doubters (who have not been FORCED by law) staying in and staying away from others? The phantom is creating a tide of damage to people and the best guess is to stop person to person spread. It has seemed to work. Who really wants a loved one gasping with no where to turn?

Quote A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients
    “It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy ****, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube.”

by Lizzie Presser March 21
    As of Friday, Louisiana was reporting 479 confirmed cases of COVID-19, one of the highest numbers in the country. Ten people had died. The majority of cases are in New Orleans, which now has one confirmed case for every 1,000 residents. New Orleans had held Mardi Gras celebrations just two weeks before its first patient, with more than a million revelers on its streets.

I spoke to a respiratory therapist there, whose job is to ensure that patients are breathing well. He works in a medium-sized city hospital’s intensive care unit. (We are withholding his name and employer, as he fears retaliation.) Before the virus came to New Orleans, his days were pretty relaxed, nebulizing patients with asthma, adjusting oxygen tubes that run through the nose or, in the most severe cases, setting up and managing ventilators. His patients were usually older, with chronic health conditions and bad lungs.

Since last week, he’s been running ventilators for the sickest COVID-19 patients. Many are relatively young, in their 40s and 50s, and have minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts. He is overwhelmed, stunned by the manifestation of the infection, both its speed and intensity. The ICU where he works has essentially become a coronavirus unit. He estimates that his hospital has admitted dozens of confirmed or presumptive coronavirus patients. About a third have ended up on ventilators.

Help Us Report on Coronavirus
    Are you a public health worker, medical provider, elected official, patient or other COVID-19 expert? Help make sure our journalism is responsible and focused on the right issues.

His hospital had not prepared for this volume before the virus first appeared. One physician had tried to raise alarms, asking about negative pressure rooms and ventilators. Most staff concluded that he was overreacting. “They thought the media was overhyping it,” the respiratory therapist told me. “In retrospect, he was right to be concerned.”

He spoke to me by phone on Thursday about why, exactly, he has been so alarmed. His account has been condensed and edited for clarity.

“Reading about it in the news, I knew it was going to be bad, but we deal with the flu every year so I was thinking: Well, it’s probably not that much worse than the flu. But seeing patients with COVID-19 completely changed my perspective, and it’s a lot more frightening.”

This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people.

“I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”

They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure.

“We have an observation unit in the hospital, and we have been admitting patients that had tested positive or are presumptive positive — these are patients that had been in contact with people who were positive. We go and check vitals on patients every four hours, and some are on a continuous cardiac monitor, so we see that their heart rate has a sudden increase or decrease, or someone goes in and sees that the patient is struggling to breathe or is unresponsive. That seems to be what happens to a lot of these patients: They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure.”

Get Our Top Investigations
    Subscribe to the Big Story newsletter.

Enter your email
    Email address This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    The lung is filled with so much fluid, displacing where the air would normally be.

“It’s called acute respiratory distress syndrome, ARDS. That means the lungs are filled with fluid. And it’s notable for the way the X-ray looks: The entire lung is basically whited out from fluid. Patients with ARDS are extremely difficult to oxygenate. It has a really high mortality rate, about 40%. The way to manage it is to put a patient on a ventilator. The additional pressure helps the oxygen go into the bloodstream.

“Normally, ARDS is something that happens over time as the lungs get more and more inflamed. But with this virus, it seems like it happens overnight. When you’re healthy, your lung is made up of little balloons. Like a tree is made out of a bunch of little leaves, the lung is made of little air sacs that are called the alveoli. When you breathe in, all of those little air sacs inflate, and they have capillaries in the walls, little blood vessels. The oxygen gets from the air in the lung into the blood so it can be carried around the body.

“Typically with ARDS, the lungs become inflamed. It’s like inflammation anywhere: If you have a burn on your arm, the skin around it turns red from additional blood flow. The body is sending it additional nutrients to heal. The problem is, when that happens in your lungs, fluid and extra blood starts going to the lungs. Viruses can injure cells in the walls of the alveoli, so the fluid leaks into the alveoli. A telltale sign of ARDS in an X-ray is what’s called ‘ground glass opacity,’ like an old-fashioned ground glass privacy window in a shower. And lungs look that way because fluid is white on an X-ray, so the lung looks like white ground glass, or sometimes pure white, because the lung is filled with so much fluid, displacing where the air would normally be.”

A screenshot of chest radiographs of a man suspected to have COVID-19. (Obtained by ProPublica via the Radiological Society of North America, cited in the paper “Severe Acute Respiratory Disease in a Huanan Seafood Market Worker: Images of an Early Casualty” by Lijuan Qian, Jie Yu and Heshui Shi.)
    This severity ... is usually more typical of someone who has a near drowning experience ... or people who inhale caustic gas.

“With our coronavirus patients, once they’re on ventilators, most need about the highest settings that we can do. About 90% oxygen, and 16 of PEEP, positive end-expiratory pressure, which keeps the lung inflated. This is nearly as high as I’ve ever seen. The level we’re at means we are running out of options.

“In my experience, this severity of ARDS is usually more typical of someone who has a near drowning experience — they have a bunch of dirty water in their lungs — or people who inhale caustic gas. Especially for it to have such an acute onset like that. I’ve never seen a microorganism or an infectious process cause such acute damage to the lungs so rapidly. That was what really shocked me.”

You’ll try to rip the breathing tube out because you feel it is choking you ...

“It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy ****, this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube and out of his mouth. The ventilator should have been doing the work of breathing but he was still gasping for air, moving his mouth, moving his body, struggling. We had to restrain him. With all the coronavirus patients, we’ve had to restrain them. They really hyperventilate, really struggle to breathe. When you’re in that mindstate of struggling to breathe and delirious with fever, you don’t know when someone is trying to help you, so you’ll try to rip the breathing tube out because you feel it is choking you, but you are drowning.

“When someone has an infection, I’m used to seeing the normal colors you’d associate with it: greens and yellows. The coronavirus patients with ARDS have been having a lot of secretions that are actually pink because they’re filled with blood cells that are leaking into their airways. They are essentially drowning in their own blood and fluids because their lungs are so full. So we’re constantly having to suction out the secretions every time we go into their rooms.”

I do not want to catch this.

“Before this, we were all joking. It’s grim humor. If you are exposed to the virus and test positive and go on quarantine, you get paid. We were all joking: I want to get the coronavirus because then I get a paid vacation from work. And once I saw these patients with it, I was like, Holy ****, I do not want to catch this and I don’t want anyone I know to catch this.

About This Story
    The medical details in this story were vetted by an infectious disease doctor, a cardiologist and an internist at three different hospitals. All of the information about ARDS, the condition that the respiratory therapist describes, was fact-checked against peer-reviewed articles and UpToDate, a resource for physicians to check current standards in care, clinical features, and expected complications and outcomes.

“I worked a long stretch of days last week, and I watched it go from this novelty to a serious issue. We had one or two patients at our hospital, and then five to 10 patients, and then 20 patients. Every day, the intensity kept ratcheting up. More patients, and the patients themselves are starting to get sicker and sicker. When it first started, we all had tons of equipment, tons of supplies, and as we started getting more patients, we started to run out. They had to ration supplies. At first we were trying to use one mask per patient. Then it was just: You get one mask for positive patients, another mask for everyone else. And now it’s just: You get one mask.

“I work 12-hour shifts. Right now, we are running about four times the number of ventilators than we normally have going. We have such a large volume of patients, but it’s really hard to find enough people to fill all the shifts. The caregiver-to-patient ratio has gone down, and you can’t spend as much time with each patient, you can’t adjust the vent settings as aggressively because you’re not going into the room as often. And we’re also trying to avoid going into the room as much as possible to reduce infection risk of staff and to conserve personal protective equipment.”

Even if you survive ... it can also do long-lasting damage.

“But we are trying to wean down the settings on the ventilator as much as possible, because you don’t want someone to be on the ventilator longer than they need to be. Your risk of mortality increases every day that you spend on a ventilator. The high pressures from high vent settings is pushing air into the lung and can overinflate those little balloons. They can pop. It can destroy the alveoli. Even if you survive ARDS, although some damage can heal, it can also do long-lasting damage to the lungs. They can get filled up with scar tissue. ARDS can lead to cognitive decline. Some people’s muscles waste away, and it takes them a long time to recover once they come off the ventilator.

“There is a very real possibility that we might run out of ICU beds and at that point I don’t know what happens if patients get sick and need to be intubated and put on a ventilator. Is that person going to die because we don’t have the equipment to keep them alive? What if it goes on for months and dozens of people die because we don’t have the ventilators?

“Hopefully we don’t get there, but if you only have one ventilator, and you have two patients, you’re going to have to go with the one who has a higher likelihood of surviving. And I’m afraid we’ll get to that point. I’ve heard that’s happening in Italy.”
    Last edited by Delight; 21st March 2020 at 18:25.

40. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st March 2020), ClearWater (21st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (21st March 2020), Franny (21st March 2020), Green Futures (30th March 2020), helium (22nd March 2020), justntime2learn (22nd March 2020), onevoice (21st March 2020), Pam (21st March 2020), Sadieblue (21st March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (22nd March 2020), silvanelf (22nd March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st March 2020), Sunny (22nd March 2020), Tintin (21st March 2020), wondering (21st March 2020)

Closed Thread
Page 113 of 154 FirstFirst 1 13 63 103 113 123 154 LastLast