Closed Thread
Page 7 of 154 FirstFirst 1 7 17 57 107 154 LastLast

Thread: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

1. Link to Post #121
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Default Re: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

And here's news from Ecuador. The article is quite measured, but it sure looks like this poor man has the coronavirus. He was hospitalized last week, but they'll not get the test results till the end of this week.

That alone tells us about the time lag in real-time global numbers being updated and published.

Looking at how he traveled — a long flight from China to Spain, spending time in a transit lounge, and then another long flight to Quito — assuming he was infectious all this time (see my post #120), he could have passed it on to several hundred others.

And given the spread of infection in Madrid airport transit lounge, it's then in 20 or 30 more countries within 24 hours. This is what's happening everywhere right now. Flights out of China produce a kind of aerosol effect all over the globe.

If this has entered Ecuador, it'll spread rapidly. The authorities have no experience of this here, and it'd be impossible to contain — just as in any developing country with crowded markets (and buses), poor hygiene in many rural areas, and limited medical facilities.

I'm not concerned personally (I live in an isolated place, and could sit tight for quite a while if I ever needed to), but it really doesn't look all that great. There's not even any way to test for the virus here.

Here's the article:
    Ecuador Ministry of Health officials said Monday they are not sure when they will receive test results for a Chinese traveler suspected of having the new coronavirus. “The samples were sent to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in the United States but we are not certain when the examine will be performed,” said Alfredo Olmedo, director of Epidemiological Surveillance for the ministry. “We expect a report 72 hours after the exam is complete so results should be in our hands later this week.”

Ministry of Health officials at a Monday press conference.

If coronavirus is confirmed, it would be the first case in South America. On Monday morning, Chilean officials said test results for a Chinese woman in a Santiago hospital proved negative for the virus.

The 49-year-old Chinese man being treated in Quito arrived in Ecuador January 21 showing no signs of illness. According to Olmedo, the man developed a cough and high fever two days later and was admitted to the hospital. “We conducted tests for other influenza viruses and these proved negative. We do not yet have the test for the new coronavirus so we shipped the samples to the CDC in Atlanta.”

For privacy reasons, Olmedo did not provide details of the man’s condition although a health ministry spokesman said Sunday night that he had a high fever and was suffering from renal and respiratory failure. The patient is being treated in a hospital isolation ward, Olmedo said, and does not pose a risk to other patients. He did not disclose the name of the hospital.

The Ministry of Foreign affairs issued a statement Monday confirming that the patient is a native of Fujian, China, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. He traveled by air to Spain and then to Ecuador, arriving at the Quito airport last Tuesday. “We have alerted the airline on which he traveled of the potential danger and asked them to notify passengers on the Fujian-to-Madrid flight as well as the Madrid-to-Quito flight.”

At the Monday press conference, Olmedo said that a total of 160 people who had contact with the Chinese man in Ecuador are being monitored. Chinese health officials say the virus can be transmitted before symptoms are evident.

As of Monday morning, the World Health Organization reported that 4,653 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed with 112 of those resulting in deaths. Unofficial sources say the number of those infected is probably much higher, possibly over 100,000.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 28th January 2020 at 13:38.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (29th January 2020), Franny (28th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), muxfolder (28th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), pyrangello (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Strat (29th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (28th January 2020), Yoda (28th January 2020)

3. Link to Post #122
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

Quote Posted by no questions (here)
    I don't know if somebody mentioned this before, but it seems Wuhan is not really under lockdown. The airport is still in operation and a lot of flights of major airlines go in and out all the day.

That does not really make sense to me. Does not seem to be military or supply flights only.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...wuh/departures
    It depends upon what the meaning of the words ‘zero departure’ is...

emphasis mine:

Quote ‘Zero departure’ at Wuhan Airport amid coronavirus epidemic

January 24, 2020

Following the identified outbreak of the new coronavirus in the Chinese city Wuhan, government authorities yesterday ordered the cancellation of all transportation out of the virus’ epicenter. The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) also issued a notice to carriers directing them to cancel flights leaving the airport and reduce flights into it, resulting in “zero departure” of flights out of Wuhan International Airport (WUH).

Flightradar24 shows a majority of flights by all carriers flying to and from the airport as being cancelled, although local Chinese news reported that SF Airlines flew two 757 aircraft into Wuhan from Shenzhen (SZX) and Hangzhou (HGH) to transport medical supplies to the city.

--- snip ---
    https://aircargoworld.com/allposts/z...irus-epidemic/

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), justalight (28th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Tintin (28th January 2020)

5. Link to Post #123
    Thanks

Quote Posted by silvanelf (here)
    I don't know if somebody mentioned this before, but it seems Wuhan is not really under lockdown. The airport is still in operation and a lot of flights of major airlines go in and out all the day.
    Yes, it is. Here's a screenshot from flightradar24.com, just a couple of minutes ago.

To see this in real time, just enter 'Wuhan" in the search bar. You can see the planes moving on the screen.

Wuhan airport has had 68 flight cancellations today, but flights are still leaving every 5 minutes or less.

6. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Antagenet (30th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), justalight (28th January 2020), muxfolder (28th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), pyrangello (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (30th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Slorri (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (29th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (28th January 2020), Yoda (28th January 2020)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks

This epidemic is becoming more ominous day by day -- emphasis mine:

Quote Wuhan seafood market may have not been the root cause

Scientists have narrowed down the potential causes of Coronavirus to two main factors: transmission from bats or snakes to humans and a potential leak of virus from a protected facility.

Many virologists believe that the seafood market in Wuhan, which was closed right after the Coronavirus outbreak was publicized, was the start of the outbreak in the region.

On January 26, however, a new report surfaced and it claimed that the Wuhan seafood market may not have been the root cause of Coronavirus.

The report emphasized that the seafood market was most certainly the distribution point of the virus, but it was not the place where the virus first emerged.

Chinese virologists and scientists said in a study entitled “Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China” published on The Lancet that the earliest case of the virus was found on December 1, 2019, before the link to the seafood market was found.

13 of the 41 early cases of coronavirus also had no links to the seafood market, suggesting that the outbreak may have started much earlier than December.
    https://www.ccn.com/dramatic-hong-ko...000-every-day/

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), onevoice (28th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Tintin (28th January 2020)

9. Link to Post #125
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Quote For privacy reasons, Olmedo did not provide details of the man’s condition although a health ministry spokesman said Sunday night that he had a high fever and was suffering from renal and respiratory failure. The patient is being treated in a hospital isolation ward, Olmedo said, and does not pose a risk to other patients. He did not disclose the name of the hospital.
    from post #121

Although this man does not have a confirmed diagnoses, if he does have the virus this is the first time I have heard of renal failure as one of the symptoms...pretty scary.
    Last edited by Tintin; 28th January 2020 at 16:12. Reason: Added link to post #121 cited by peterpam

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Tintin (28th January 2020)

11. Link to Post #126
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

I have to wonder if this thing might be being hyped, for whatever reasons, the same as Swine Flu was in 2009.

I think the average U.S. death toll for its annual, regular flu season is around 30 or so thousand, and the kidneys can be affected by that as well. All those thousands of people die of something after all, why don't we freak out over that?

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this so far. Let's see what happens. Whenever mass media starts telling me I need to be afraid, very afraid, I tend to get suspicious.

12. Link to Post #127
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

Renal failure was mentioned in one or more of the links from before, pretty sure the Lancet report and some of the WHO reports mentioned it. It's one of the flags for me that indicate cytokine storm.
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Delight (29th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020), Victoria (28th January 2020)

14. Link to Post #128
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    I have to wonder if this thing might be being hyped, for whatever reasons, the same as Swine Flu was in 2009.

I think the average U.S. death toll for its annual, regular flu season is around 30 or so thousand, and the kidneys can be affected by that as well. All those thousands of people die of something after all, why don't we freak out over that?

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this so far. Let's see what happens. Whenever mass media starts telling me I need to be afraid, very afraid, I tend to get suspicious.
    Agreed! I try to take news reports and compare them to what I already know, just to keep perspective, and the numbers for me just aren't adding up. The numbers so far are very similar to what we deal with every year with the flu. So why all the hysteria of this? Either things are being hyped, for whatever reason, or the situation is worse than is being reported.
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Gracy (28th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), Mypos (28th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020), Victoria (28th January 2020)

16. Link to Post #129
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,661 times in 2,080 posts

http://allnewspipeline.com/Coronavir...eks_Behind.php

Has The 'Perfect Bioweapon' Been Unleashed Upon The World? Non-Symptomatic People Being Contagious To Others For Up To Two Weeks Is A Recipe For Disaster
    - Remember! Every Coronavirus Map You See Will Be Up To 2 Weeks Behind

It was mentioned this morning on the news here in the states that germany may have a case of this virus in another person there that has not been to china, not confirmed yet, this is what to watch for now?

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

4evrneo (28th January 2020), Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Reinhard (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

18. Link to Post #130
    Thanks

Quote Posted by rainsong (here)
    Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)

Agreed! I try to take news reports and compare them to what I already know, just to keep perspective, and the numbers for me just aren't adding up. The numbers so far are very similar to what we deal with every year with the flu. So why all the hysteria of this? Either things are being hyped, for whatever reason, or the situation is worse than is being reported.
    With all respect, I think you missed the crucial point: if the estimated 'spread rate' of the virus is as great as assumed and if the spread rate doesn't decrease -- then we have to face a nightmare pretty soon. It's a predictable development due to the mathematics of 'exponential growth'.

According to these epidemiological models, even rigorous travel restrictions will only defer the spread of the epidemic. See below -- emphasis mine:

Quote Read’s group estimates that only about 5.1 percent of cases in Wuhan have been identified. That’s probably not because the Chinese government is covering up the data, it is simply that many people have not shown up at clinics yet due to the mild initial symptoms.

Read’s paper issues some dire projections and warnings -
    • If no change in control or transmission happens, then we expect further outbreaks to occur in other Chinese cities, and that infections will continue to be exported to international destinations at an increasing rate.
    • In 14 days’ time (4 February 2020), our model predicts the number of infected people in Wuhan to be greater than 190,000 (prediction interval, 132,751 to 273,649). We predict the cities with the largest outbreaks elsewhere in China to be Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou,Chongqing and Chengdu. We also predict that by 4 Feb 2020, the countries or special administrative regions at greatest risk of importing infections through air travel are Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.
    • Our model suggests that travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...-its-Prognosis

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Gracy (28th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

20. Link to Post #131
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pyrangello (here)
    It was mentioned this morning on the news here in the states that germany may have a case of this virus in another person there that has not been to china, not confirmed yet, this is what to watch for now?
    It has been confirmed now:

Coronavirus: Germany confirms first human transmission in Europe – live updates

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), holistic1 (28th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), pyrangello (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

22. Link to Post #132
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,312 times in 2,098 posts

The US government is lifting a ban on engineering deadly viruses to make them more dangerous

Kevin Loria Dec 20, 2017, 7:03 AM

The US government is lifting a ban on engineering deadly viruses to make them more dangerous

• The NIH is ending a three-year pause on funding research into ways to genetically engineer viruses so they become more contagious or deadly.
    • This sort of work is known as "gain of function" research. It could help us prepare for the possibility that a virus like this might evolve in nature.
    • But some fear that there are security risks — a potential accidental release would be dangerous, and the research could be used to create biological weapons
    Many experts think the greatest possible threat to humanity is a fast-moving airborne pathogen — a particularly deadly flu virus could kill tens of millions of people in a year.

On Tuesday, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced it was lifting a moratorium on funding research into creating a deadly virus with those capabilities.

The NIH's policy shift will allow researchers to take already dangerous viruses and genetically engineer them to be more contagious or deadly. That could mean taking a flu strain or a virus like MERS or SARS and modifying them so they spread more easily or become more fatal.

These types of experiments are known as "gain of function" experiments, since they add new — and riskier — functions to diseases.

The risks of developing powerful, deadly superbugs

Such research is controversial because of concerns that a modified deadly disease could escape into the wild and infect the public. That could happen if a terrible accident were to occur, or if the know-how for creating a deadly superbug were to fall into the wrong hands.

"Safety isn't all about machines or ventilation, it's also about human judgment," Marc Lipsitch, director of the Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at the Harvard School of Public Health, previously told Business Insider, shortly before the NIH instituted this moratorium.

The NIH decided to stop funding these sorts of studies in 2014, after a couple of terrifying slip-ups with deadly diseases. In one case, the NIH discovered that vials of smallpox had just been sitting in a cold storage room of a Food and Drug Administration lab (there are only two labs in the world authorized to possess smallpox, one at the CDC in Atlanta and another in Russia). In another case, the CDC accidentally exposed more than 75 workers to anthrax.

The moratorium halted ongoing studies in Wisconsin and the Netherlands that were working on creating mutant influenza viruses that could spread through the air. The tests were being conducted on ferrets, because airborne virus transmission between the animals closely mimics the process between humans.

Why researchers want to create pandemic viruses

The argument in favor of this research is that nature itself creates new deadly, contagious viruses on its own.

"We are coming up on the centenary of the 1918 influenza pandemic," George Poste, a leading member a group that assesses the state of biodefense in the US, recently told Business Insider. "We've been fortunately spared anything on that scale for the past 100 years, but it is inevitable that a pandemic strain of equal virulence will emerge."

The 1918 pandemic killed approximately 50 million people around the globe, making it one of the deadliest events in human history. Some experts believe that if we can create these types of viruses ourselves in a lab, then we might be able to better understand them before (or when) they naturally appear.

That's why the NIH decided to allow these sorts of studies to resume, according to a statement by director Francis Collins.

"[Gain of function] research is important in helping us identify, understand, and develop strategies and effective countermeasures against rapidly evolving pathogens that pose a threat to public health," Collins wrote.

Experts say there ways to do this work safely, but there are still important questions to address.

According to Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research, one of the biggest concerns is how details of this work are communicated to the public. Any release of such information comes with security risks, but the NIH review process for funding these studies doesn't necessarily make it clear how much of the research would become publicly available.

Say, for example, that a study found ways to genetically modify Ebola virus so it became an airborne pathogen.

"If [that] were the case, I don't want the public to have a blueprint on how to do it,"Osterholm said.
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Pam (28th January 2020), Philippe (28th January 2020), pyrangello (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

24. Link to Post #133
    Thanks
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 28th January 2020 at 19:12.

25. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (29th January 2020), Franny (28th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), pyrangello (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), sunwings (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020), Yoda (28th January 2020)

26. Link to Post #134
    Thanks

Two other potentially important articles, the first from Newsmax and the second from the Washington Times:

27. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (29th January 2020), Franny (28th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020), Yoda (28th January 2020)

28. Link to Post #135
    Thanks

There is an interesting article on Zero Hedge" https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ha...ties-smuggling

"a federal court unsealed indictments against Harvard professor and Chemistry Department Head Charles Lieber, along with two Chinese nationals."..."Lieber was reportedly paid $50,000 a month by Wuhan University of Technology for participating in its "Thousand Talents" program, and was given more than $1.5 million to establish a lab and do research at Wuhan University of Technology, according to federal prosecutors in Boston, according to WSJ."

I would not be surprised one bit if Lieber is an American turncoat. Yikes! That would hurt.

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AuCo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Franny (28th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), pyrangello (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

30. Link to Post #136
    Thanks

I found some very interesting remarks from an epidemiologist. About the author:

Quote Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding (Eric Ding) is a health economist, epidemiologist, and nutrition scientist at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health, and an expert advisor to the World Health Organization.
    https://scholar.harvard.edu/ericding/home

Here are two of his recent tweets -- I strongly recommend to read the whole unrolled twitter thread at the link below.

Unrolled twitter thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...643929089.html

31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Franny (28th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), Pam (29th January 2020), pyrangello (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (29th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

32. Link to Post #137
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,312 times in 2,098 posts

Time for some high octane speculation from Dr Joseph Farrell.

QUESTIONS EMERGE ABOUT CORONAVIRUS

JANUARY 27, 2020

QUESTIONS EMERGE ABOUT CORONAVIRUS

The coronavirus is all over the news, and apparently, on the minds of a great many readers of this website, because out of about 500+ emails from readers last week, it topped the list of "subjects" people sent me at about 23 emails with that as the subject matter by my count. And if the truth be told, I've not been watching the story that closely. When it first broke, my reaction was "another SARS" phenomenon.

But with this, there may be something more sinister lurking in the story, that something being comprised of two things: biowarfare, and timing. For example,V.T., P.T., and E.G. found articles that strongly suggest that what is happening in China may have come from a biowarfare lab:

Among the speculations being advanced regarding the virus outbreak is its concurrence with Chinese astrology and the Chinese Lunar New Year, as E.G. pointed out to me in sending the article.

However, that's not what caught my eye in all of this. What caught my eye was one of those details in the Zero Hedge article that, following Mark Twain's observation about the theory of evolution, I intend to gain wholesale returns of high octane speculation for a minimum investment of fact. But the detail is there, so one might as well speculate about it. The Zero Hedge article traces the coronavirus outbreak from a Saudi patient, to the Netherlands, to Winnepeg, Manitoba, where the virus was apparently stolen by Chinese biowarfare espionage agents planted inside of Canada's level-4 National Microbiology Laboratory:

Quote Coronavirus arrived at Canada’s NML Winnipeg facility on May 4, 2013 from the Dutch lab. The Canadian lab grew up stocks of the virus and used it to assess diagnostic tests being used in Canada. Winnipeg scientists worked to see which animal species can be infected with the new virus.

Research was done in conjunction with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s national lab, the National Centre for Foreign Animal Diseases which is housed in the same complex as the National Microbiology Laboratory.

NML has a long history of offering comprehensive testing services for coronaviruses. It isolated and provided the first genome sequence of the SARS coronavirus and identified another coronavirus NL63 in 2004.

This Winnipeg based Canadian lab was targeted by Chinese agents in what could be termed as Biological Espionage.

Quote In March 2019, in mysterious event a shipment of exceptionally virulent viruses from Canada’s NML ended up in China. The event caused a major scandal with Bio-warfare experts questioning why Canada was sending lethal viruses to China. Scientists from NML said the highly lethal viruses were a potential bio-weapon.

Following investigation, the incident was traced to Chinese agents working at NML. Four months later in July 2019, a group of Chinese virologists were forcibly dispatched from the Canadian National Microbiology Laboratory (NML). The NML is Canada’s only level-4 facility and one of only a few in North America equipped to handle the world’s deadliest diseases, including Ebola, SARS, Coronavirus, etc.

The NML scientist who was escorted out of the Canadian lab along with her husband, another biologist, and members of her research team is believed to be a Chinese Bio-Warfare agent Xiangguo Qiu. Qiu was the head of the Vaccine Development and Antiviral Therapies Section in the Special Pathogens Program at Canada’s NML.
    The article also speculates on a possible Chinese strategy for a "bloodless victory" against the West using biowarfare agents, and their cures:

Quote James Giordano, a neurology professor at Georgetown University and senior fellow in Biowarfare at the U.S. Special Operations Command, said China’s growing investment in bio-science, looser ethics around gene-editing and other cutting-edge technology and integration between government and academia raise the spectre of such pathogens being weaponized.

That could mean an offensive agent, or a modified germ let loose by proxies, for which only China has the treatment or vaccine. “This is not warfare, per se,” he said. “But what it’s doing is leveraging the capability to act as global saviour, which then creates various levels of macro and micro economic and bio-power dependencies.”
    Quote In other words, create a deadly pathogen, release it, and then wait a while... then announce that your country, and your country alone, has the cure. Want to live? Surrender, and take our cure. The article also says something else:

The PLA is pursuing military applications for biology and looking into promising intersections with other disciplines, including brain science, supercomputing, and artificial intelligence. Since 2016, the Central Military Commission has funded projects on military brain science, advanced biomimetic systems, biological and biomimetic materials, human performance enhancement, and “new concept” biotechnology. (Emphasis added)
    So... "Surrender, and accept our cure, and live," only the "cure" is loaded with nanobots which can be "turned on" and kill you, if you don't mind your masters and think appropriate thoughts. In that regard, it's important to recall that China's "social credit system" is already monitoring and rewarding, or punishing people to a draconian degree that we can only imagine.

But none of this is that "little detail" that has me wondering and that has my high octane speculation motor running in overdrive. The little detail is that the Chinese agent caught and expelled from the Canadian research laboratory hails from an unusual place:

Quote Xiangguo Qiu is an outstanding Chinese scientist born in Tianjin. She primarily received her medical doctor degree from Hebei Medical University in China in 1985 and came to Canada for graduate studies in 1996. Later on, she was affiliated with the Institute of Cell Biology and the Department of Pediatrics and Child Health of the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, not engaged with studying pathogens. (Emphasis added)
    Born in Tianjin.

You remember Tianjin? Tianjin is the city east of Beijing that had that strange chemical plant explosion a few years ago that leveled several blocks of the city... and that left a crater that had a very odd signature for an alleged chemical explosion, for it was not the flat concave crater that one would expect, but rather, a narrow and deep conical crater. In fact, the crater was so narrow and so deep that it had many - this author included - wondering if the chemical plant had been the victim of a "rod of God' attack by a space-based kinetic weapon.

That a Chinese biowarfare spy ejected from Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory hails from the same city as the first of those Chinese chemical plant explosions strikes me as more than just a little "odd", and perhaps more than just a "coincidence." As yet, I've seen no indication that anyone has investigated this strange coincidence for any deeper potential significance. So for the moment it much remain just a high octane speculation.

I don't know about you, however, but I find that "coincidence" more than just a little unsettling, because it suggests that there may be a covert "hot war" being fought right under our noses...

Houston chemical plant explosion, anyone?

Anyway, perhaps it is time for the powers that be to rethink the ease with which they allow Chinese "scientists" into their sensitive facilities. Perhaps it's time for an embargo on all Chinese students in the West.

See you on the flip side...
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), pyrangello (28th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Sophocles (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

34. Link to Post #138
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by silvanelf (here)
    <snip>
    With all respect, I think you missed the crucial point: if the estimated 'spread rate' of the virus is as great as assumed and if the spread rate doesn't decrease -- then we have to face a nightmare pretty soon. It's a predictable development due to the mathematics of 'exponential growth'.
    <snip>
    Thanks, and I definitely appreciate the links! I think I'm just looking at it a bit differently, though. I do see the exponential growth and spread. But do keep in mind that's exactly what the flu does every year. Some years are worse than others.

With the numbers that we're getting [ETA: the numbers I've seen SO FAR!], it appears that now instead of having to worry about "just" the flu, we're basically looking at another virus similar to the flu in severity but different enough so that we can all be hit with a double-whammy.

It's not good by any means.

But I actually take the flu quite seriously, so maybe that's part of the disconnect.

(To give you an idea: I have a large family. I make 3 gallons of suped-up elderberry syrup at a time, a bunch of different of tinctures, and stockpile herbs, supplements and medicines and other stuff to make sure I have enough supplies on hand to bring the hammer down quickly on whatever gets brought home.

Cause you can be sure that someone's going to bring something home when you've got your family going off to elementary/middle/high schools, the university, the office, the warehouse, and to work at the grocery store ... and then ALL of them end up coming home to share whatever they've picked up.

On top of that, I come from a large family, all of which live nearby, so I get asked a lot for recommendations (and remedies) to fight whatever's going around.)

My family actually stays pretty healthy, but part of that is because I take things like the flu seriously. The flu kills. It can knock you out of commission for weeks. It doesn't have to, though.

[And, not to rabbit-trail too much, there's a lot more out there than just the flu. Equine encephalitis jumping to humans, for instance. My oldest is working at a warehouse to put himself through farrier school. He was at the school when those reports started circulating.

The flu just works as a good comparison.]

So what I'm seeing so far, even with exponential spread, is not something WORSE than the flu. Maybe it is, and I'm not discounting that. Which is why I'm spending so much time studying and watching the news and reading reports!

However, bad does not equal apocalyptic, and spread does not equal severity. And I'm really watching the severity. Out of those that get infected, how many actually get sick enough to miss work? how long are they sick? how severe (is hospitalization needed)? how many people die?

We really don't have that information, IMO, because we're not being given the full story. We can only conjecture based on what we are given.
    Last edited by Sarah Rainsong; 28th January 2020 at 20:21.

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), raregem (28th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), silvanelf (28th January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (29th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

36. Link to Post #139
    Germany Avalon Member justalight's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    Quote Posted by no questions (here)

That does not really make sense to me. Does not seem to be military or supply flights only.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...wuh/departures
    Just for fun, I went through the process of booking a flight to Wuhan on Feb. 1 and it was going to let me buy a ticket. Really interesting.
    This seems to be really odd, thanks a lot!!!!

Just had a look at the Wuhan airport page and they have a live departure and arrival page. Looks like there is usual traffic.

https://www.wuhan-airport.com/arrivals.php

Last edited by justalight; 28th January 2020 at 21:32.
    we do not remember days, we remember moments ...

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justalight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sunny (30th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

38. Link to Post #140
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,661 times in 2,080 posts

The great thing about the internet is that we have all the access to the infinite information we want, the downside to the internet is we can overload on information above and beyond the call as we have to police the information out there in order to feel right passing it on , which is overwhelming at times when there are so many unknowns . This was exactly why I shut off my cable tv and refuse to have a computer at home. I did speak to a friend that knows someone from china living here in the states. He did confirm there are quarantines happening in all those cities. He did also convey to me that China deals with situations much different than other countries including releasing information. So now we sit and wait and let the clock tick for the next shoe to drop closer to us at home. I tried to convey to a buddy of mine today to maybe do little precautionary things, Hell I would have been better off telling my dog a bedtime story. At least my dog would have wagged his tail the entire time. Seeing the flight schedule for going in and out of china is another one of those doesn't make any sense does it? Especially out of Wuhan and with all the quarantines? I am going to pause and have a cup of hot tea and regroup.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2020), bluestflame (29th January 2020), justalight (29th January 2020), Sadieblue (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th January 2020), Tintin (29th January 2020)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 154 FirstFirst 1 7 17 57 107 154 LastLast