+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 5 9 LastLast

Thread: What did you do today to prepare for COVID-19 ?

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

Default Re: What did you do today to prepare for COVID-19 ?

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    6 cases in Ecuador now, and reported runs on supplies already in the stores and supermarkets.
    I've heard a similar situation is happening in Indonesia. But I am not noticing that here in the U.S. The news is constantly talking about COVID-19 and schools are working on tentative closing plans and churches are revising how to give communion, but the shelves are still full at the grocery stores. I think this is because Americans are so reliant on the news media for what to do so that people only panic about the things CNN tells them to panic on.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd March 2020), Franny (4th March 2020), Pam (4th March 2020), Sadieblue (3rd March 2020), Sophocles (3rd March 2020), Stephanie (6th March 2020), wondering (4th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #82
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

Quote Posted by Kryztian (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    6 cases in Ecuador now, and reported runs on supplies already in the stores and supermarkets.
    I've heard a similar situation is happening in Indonesia. But I am not noticing that here in the U.S. The news is constantly talking about COVID-19 and schools are working on tentative closing plans and churches are revising how to give communion, but the shelves are still full at the grocery stores. I think this is because Americans are so reliant on the news media for what to do so that people only panic about the things CNN tells them to panic on.
    Well up here in Canada, the CBC has been whipping the public into a COVID-19 fear mongering frenzy!
    They have had front page headline news stories about the importance of stocking up on food supplies now.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd March 2020), Franny (4th March 2020), Pam (4th March 2020), Sadieblue (3rd March 2020), Stephanie (6th March 2020), wondering (4th March 2020)

5. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,106 times in 905 posts

Geophyz, Sleeping outside under trees and listening to them talk sounds so wonderful Could you hold in thought and intent others who would like to be there with you doing that? It’s awesome just to know that someone is doing that. Diane

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Franny (4th March 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2020), Pam (4th March 2020), Sadieblue (4th March 2020), Stephanie (6th March 2020)

7. Link to Post #84
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Prepping for isolation and disruption of utilities when people do not show up for work.

If you are going to eat freeze dried food, you must have a way to boil water and have a water filter. In a worstcase scenario that will mean using small twigs in a small camp stove. Twigs are easy to dry and harvest using gardening shears.

If you have food but not a working water flush toilet, a composting toilet and a composting bin might save your marriage.

Don't forget soap and when there is no toilet paper

Navigating short term emergencies
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 4th March 2020 at 15:53.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Anchor (7th March 2020), Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), carnavas (5th March 2020), Franny (4th March 2020), Pam (4th March 2020), Sadieblue (4th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (4th March 2020), Stephanie (6th March 2020), sunflower (4th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 times in 243 posts

How I prepared:

I just firmly stated to myself: "This will not affect me in any way".

That's it, preparation done.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to XelNaga For This Post:

Anka (4th March 2020), Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Kryztian (11th March 2020), Pam (5th March 2020), Sadieblue (4th March 2020), sunwings (11th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

11. Link to Post #86
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    Geophyz, Sleeping outside under trees and listening to them talk sounds so wonderful Could you hold in thought and intent others who would like to be there with you doing that? It’s awesome just to know that someone is doing that. Diane
    I will keep you all in my thoughts and my heart as I am listening and responding to my trees! I generally sleep outside at least once a week. It keeps me in balance with nature.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (4th March 2020), Delight (4th March 2020), Pam (4th March 2020), Sadieblue (4th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (5th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

13. Link to Post #87
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

I am going to stay in the forest for a few days. Something is calling me to go to the isolation and quiet, I need to go find out what it is.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Delight (5th March 2020), Kryztian (11th March 2020), Pam (5th March 2020), Sadieblue (5th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (5th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

15. Link to Post #88
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

It took me a bit of work (planning & compiling multiple shopping lists/trips took way more work and much longer than I anticipated) but I have finally managed something I've wanted to do for years.

I have a 28-day menu (that was the easy part) with a master pantry list of everything I need for an entire 4-wks of groceries (that includes food & non-food items) AND another month's worth of a back-up pantry list! So I have effectively 2 months worth of groceries. Stock gets rotated to the front and as I work through the master pantry, I pull from the back-up pantry to restock and then new supplies go into the back-up. Whew.

The best thing is that it's almost all everyday normal stuff. I just have duplicates. So I will definitely use every thing I have.

I did get some powdered milk. If I don't end up reconstituting it to drink, I can use it for baking.

The only other non-regular item I wanted but couldn't get was powdered whole eggs. Those went out of stock quickly and are now only available at crazy high prices. Fortunately, my sis has chickens. So I'm not too worried about it.

I've still got some work to do on the health aspect, cause I want herbs and supplies I can locally source. But I'm good for most anything for the next month or so, depending on what happens.

The last thing I have to do before I dive deeper into my herbal studies is to print out recipes for each of my 28 suppers. I'm head cook, so if I get sick, the rest of them need to know what to do. (Not worried about not having meals, they all know how to cook something, even the 9 yr old ...but I don't want them messing up my carefully planned menu! )
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Anchor (7th March 2020), Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Delight (5th March 2020), Kryztian (11th March 2020), Pam (7th March 2020), Sadieblue (5th March 2020), Sunny (6th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

17. Link to Post #89
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Went to the store to buy hand sanitizer and they were out.
    Added some more soap to my inventory. Very important and it is inexpensive.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Rosco1 (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (6th March 2020), Sunny (6th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

19. Link to Post #90
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)
    Quote Can't find Purell or other hand sanitizers? Here's how to make it at home with vodka or rubbing alcohol
    Kelly Tyko
    USA TODAY

Dr. David Agus, a professor of medicine and engineering at University of Southern California's Keck School of Medicine, said it’s “definitely OK" and a "great idea" to make your own hand sanitizer.

“The bottom line is most of these are 70% of alcohol or higher,” Agus said, adding there’s no magic number. “The virus isn't going to say, 'Hey, you're 59% alcohol, therefore I'm going to be alive.' As long as you're in that range, I think you're doing OK. This virus has what we call an 'envelope' on it, and the envelope is very sensitive to alcohol, which kills the virus.”

There are also widely circulated recipes using vodka as the main ingredient, including one posted on Good Housekeeping magazine's website.

Two biology professors from Benedictine University in Lisle, Illinois, say consumers should pay attention to the percentage of alcohol present when using vodka.

Tanya Crum, an assistant professor, and Jayashree Sarathy, an associate professor, told USA TODAY that the concentration of ethanol in 80 proof vodka is only 40% and is "not concentrated enough to kill viruses." They suggest 180 proof spirits, which have 90% ethanol.

Agus, who specializes in treating patients with advanced cancer, recommends making a recipe with isopropyl alcohol or ethanol alcohol over vodka. But if you have to use vodka, he also suggests 180 proof or a higher percentage of alcohol “have some benefit.”
    How to take Vitamin C form the frontlines in China

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

21. Link to Post #91
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Quote Posted by Geophyz (here)
    This weekend I made cookies from acorn flour. My oak trees gave me hundreds of acorns this year. I am very happy with how they turned out. I made rosemary, vanilla and honey cookies! I also have another batch of dandelion mead brewing. Thistles are coming up and I like to harvest some early. They are packed with fibre, protein, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, copper, zinc, and other nutrients. The silymarin extracted from milk thistle is known to have antioxidant, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. You can make a poultice for wounds with the greens and the root is rather like artichoke. And you can make a lovely tea from the seeds!

I have stocked my house with things I can't produce...like toilet paper! I work from home so I am pretty much always self quarantined!

I have also started my garden! Everyone should have a garden, working the soil is so good for your mind and soul. You get some exercise and the food you produce is an added bonus!

I slept outside under the trees last night, so I could watch the sky and listen to the trees talk. I am convinced that the big oak trees have the souls of many in them, they have seen many things and have much to say. I prayed for my family and friends who are in the city. I prayed for all of mankind.
    So charming a post. Acorn cookies! I've never heard of acorn flour before. I pray too because if this virus isn't too lethal, we are bound to get something worse...and soon. Close to 8 billion people on the planet and that's got to be 6 billion too many. Population growth has slowed way down, so that is positive, but we have to start making a concerted effort to drop the population through attrition, or I fear the worst. You are new here. Welcome!

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

23. Link to Post #92
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

When a person is dehydrated, IV fluids are used. If you cannot get to a hospital, oral rehydration can help
    Oral rehydration website

Quote Lifehacker formula
    Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:

1 quart (950 mL) water
    ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
    ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
    ¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
    2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar
    You can tweak the amount of sugar you want to include and add your own flavors, avoiding artificial dyes and preservatives in the process.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), pyrangello (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (6th March 2020), Sunny (6th March 2020), wondering (7th March 2020)

25. Link to Post #93
    France Avalon Member
    Language
    French
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,375 times in 354 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    I pray too because if this virus isn't too lethal, we are bound to get something worse...and soon. Close to 8 billion people on the planet and that's got to be 6 billion too many. Population growth has slowed way down, so that is positive, but we have to start making a concerted effort to drop the population through attrition, or I fear the worst.
    Please reconsider what you wrote. There are billions of souls in the universe and we live in a disaster zone with many souls looking for a body to complete their search. In this galaxy there have been many organized planets with billions of habitants. It went wrong for several reasons. This is not my belief, I could recover memories. The solution must come from a peaceful expansion of humanity to habitable planets. Wish for that. Mars with its destroyed civilization can be recovered. Do not do the bidding of the depopulation agenda. Family planning yes but the depopulation agenda comes from mentally sick rulers. Be well.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Hym (6th March 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (10th March 2020), pyrangello (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020)

27. Link to Post #94
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,244 times in 2,174 posts

Buy rubbing alcohol (isopropanol), it comes in 70% and 99% proof, can be bought in 5 litre containers, dilute this with water and use in a spray bottle/diffuser to make a cheap and very effective hand/surface sanitizer .

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Hym (6th March 2020), pyrangello (6th March 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (7th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), Sunny (6th March 2020), wondering (7th March 2020)

29. Link to Post #95
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Geophyz (here)
    I am going to stay in the forest for a few days. Something is calling me to go to the isolation and quiet, I need to go find out what it is.

So important. Starting early, I spent all yesterday on a high mountain hike with my dog. I was able to disconnect from the human experience and reconnect with nature, which is always there. I know many reading this fully understand!

Days like that are what keep me balanced and grounded, reminding me of so much that's just as real as what we read in our news feeds, but is much less often reported. And it also helps to remind us of the bigger picture (the much bigger picture!), in which our individual human lives are so very ephemeral.

Of course, we're all eternal spiritual beings, even more eternal that the mountains and the forests. Where we're all just now is one of our playgrounds, and/or one of our stages on which we act things out in improvised action-learning theater.

So I'm never diminishing who we are, or what we all do or strive for. But the biggest pictures are always important never to forget. They're just so huge, that sometimes we need to step way back to see them.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (6th March 2020), Alecs (7th March 2020), Antagenet (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (8th March 2020), fifi (12th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Hym (6th March 2020), pyrangello (6th March 2020), Rosco1 (7th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), wondering (6th March 2020), Yoda (6th March 2020)

31. Link to Post #96
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,711 times in 2,086 posts

1) My grandmother use to take rubbing alcohol and water 50/50 and put in on a washcloth and lay it on your forehead and arms when running a fever.
    2) For a sore throat gargle with apple cider vinegar
    3) 15 minutes a day of the sun or 5000iu of Vitamin D-3 both equal
    4) Tea, lemon, honey, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar and shot of whiskey
    5) for respiratory OIL OF OREGANO 2-3 drops in mason jar of water in room temperature, just sip it during the day, always shake the jar first before sipping, oil stays at top without shaking. Helps with your chest/lungs big time
    6) vicks on the bottom of your feet at night or boil into air in your house
    7) checking into thiefs oil, could rub that too on the bottom of your feet or add to tea or boil in air in your house
    8) 1 glass of warm water with baking soda and lemon everyday for your alkaline level
    9) I have also heard of cutting an onion in half and leaving it on top of a mason jar until it turns brown -cut end up sucks in bacteria ??? Comments
    10) and yes a quiet place to balance your thoughts for a time everyday.

Thanks Delight for that Re-hydration recipe, last time I got sick and dehydrated the last thing I wanted to do was go to the store to buy electrolytes, I really appreciate this and will pass this along to all .
    Last edited by pyrangello; 6th March 2020 at 17:31.

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Delight (7th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Hym (6th March 2020), IChingUChing (6th March 2020), meeradas (6th March 2020), Rosco1 (7th March 2020), Sadieblue (6th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (6th March 2020), Sunny (6th March 2020), wondering (7th March 2020)

33. Link to Post #97
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 times in 164 posts

I bought "brennspiritus" in the DIY shop here in Germany (denatured alcohol/methylated spirit in english) which is 96.5% ethanol to make my own hand sanitizer. The chemists have all run out of both sanitizer and alcohol so we're improvising.

Then went out at dusk and walked through the misty forest as the sun went down. The birds were singing and the stream was gushing down to the river at the bottom. The air was beautifully fresh. A great way to end today!

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IChingUChing For This Post:

Antagenet (6th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Franny (6th March 2020), Hym (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (7th March 2020), wondering (7th March 2020)

35. Link to Post #98
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 337 posts

onawah
    Thanks for posting about the moringa plant!
    I am growing one, and now am encouraged to experiment.
    I might make another Fire cider and put moringa in it!
    I might make a moringa liquor.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), onawah (6th March 2020), Sadieblue (7th March 2020)

37. Link to Post #99
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 337 posts

Quote Posted by rainsong (here)
    It took me a bit of work (planning & compiling multiple shopping lists/trips took way more work and much longer than I anticipated) but I have finally managed something I've wanted to do for years.

I have a 28-day menu (that was the easy part) with a master pantry list of everything I need for an entire 4-wks of groceries (that includes food & non-food items) AND another month's worth of a back-up pantry list! So I have effectively 2 months worth of groceries. Stock gets rotated to the front and as I work through the master pantry, I pull from the back-up pantry to restock and then new supplies go into the back-up. Whew.

The best thing is that it's almost all everyday normal stuff. I just have duplicates. So I will definitely use every thing I have.

I did get some powdered milk. If I don't end up reconstituting it to drink, I can use it for baking.

The only other non-regular item I wanted but couldn't get was powdered whole eggs. Those went out of stock quickly and are now only available at crazy high prices. Fortunately, my sis has chickens. So I'm not too worried about it.

I've still got some work to do on the health aspect, cause I want herbs and supplies I can locally source. But I'm good for most anything for the next month or so, depending on what happens.

The last thing I have to do before I dive deeper into my herbal studies is to print out recipes for each of my 28 suppers. I'm head cook, so if I get sick, the rest of them need to know what to do. (Not worried about not having meals, they all know how to cook something, even the 9 yr old ...but I don't want them messing up my carefully planned menu! )
    rainsong, I really like your idea of organizing recipes. I have food preps but not recipes yet. Now you have motivated me to get some recipes together. Should we start a prep recipe thread?

I couldn't find powdered eggs anyplace so am going to try dehydrating and/or salt curing some eggs.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I have a prepping friend who told me he got some baby wipes and poured some alcohol in the container and voila... virus killing wipes!

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (7th March 2020), Sadieblue (7th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (6th March 2020), Sunny (7th March 2020)

39. Link to Post #100
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

Quote Posted by Antagenet (here)
    Quote Posted by rainsong (here)

rainsong, I really like your idea of organizing recipes. I have food preps but not recipes yet. Now you have motivated me to get some recipes together. Should we start a prep recipe thread?

I couldn't find powdered eggs anyplace so am going to try dehydrating and/or salt curing some eggs.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I have a prepping friend who told me he got some baby wipes and poured some alcohol in the container and voila... virus killing wipes!
    I love sharing recipes! But all my recipes are regular recipes, not specific for prepping. I use a lot of frozen vegetables and meats, and I know a lot of people want all shelf-stable foods. But I could try to convert some, if you think it's worth it. It would be a good thought exercise to try to figure out how to make meals with only shelf-stable foods.
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Antagenet (7th March 2020), Bill Ryan (6th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (9th March 2020), pueblo (6th March 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (7th March 2020), Sadieblue (7th March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 5 9 LastLast