Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Julian Assange--YOUR future

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Default Julian Assange--YOUR future

From the Guardian:

Assange complained on Wednesday that he was unable to communicate with his lawyers from his position in the dock. “I am as much a participant in these proceedings as I am watching Wimbledon,” he said.

Mark Summers QC argued on Thursday that his client should be allowed to sit with his lawyers during May’s hearings. He said that secure docks – in which defendants sit behind bulletproof glass – were a relatively recent phenomenon in English courts and had been criticised for their impact on a fair trial

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...political-ends

We can expect this kind of treatment in the future, for breaking any kind of law. Poor Julian. He tried.

Dennis--thanks for the push to update what is going on with Julian Assange.

I hope the Brits scream their damn country down if the controllers try to extradict him to the U.S.

And no, Trump supporters, Trump is not waiting for his extradition to set him free.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), AndrejPeĉënkin (29th February 2020), Antagenet (3rd March 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (29th February 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (29th February 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Franny (29th February 2020), Gracy (29th February 2020), Inaiá (1st March 2020), jjjones (1st March 2020), Kryztian (1st March 2020), Mike (29th February 2020), onawah (29th February 2020), palehorse (2nd February 2022), Philippe (29th February 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), RogeRio (29th February 2020), Sadieblue (29th February 2020), Sarah Rainsong (1st March 2020), Satori (29th February 2020), Stephanie (29th February 2020), Tintin (1st March 2020), toppy (29th February 2020), Violet3 (4th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Default Re: Julian Assange--YOUR future

More on media ambivalence. Such a head scratcher. They aren't ambivalent, they are cowardly. Call it what it is!

This interview, the NZZ argued, had piqued the interest of journalists, who had previously shown little interest in the case. “The part-time media interest in Assange’s fate reflects the ambivalence of journalists towards the activist,” it said.

“Some editorial offices cooperated with him ten years ago when it came to evaluating secret files that WikiLeaks had received. But the headstrong Australian soon rubbed people up the wrong way – his vanity and anarchistic attitude making him a loner. Political activism was more important to him than journalism. This weakened his support in the media.”

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/wikilea...sange/45583876

Nice cowardly smear job in last paragraph there.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (29th February 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (29th February 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Franny (29th February 2020), Gracy (7th March 2020), jjjones (1st March 2020), Mike (29th February 2020), palehorse (2nd February 2022), Pieman (8th March 2020), RogeRio (29th February 2020), Stephanie (29th February 2020), Tintin (1st March 2020), toppy (29th February 2020), Violet3 (4th March 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    a 2015 (careercast.com) study found that being a ‘newspaper reporter’ is the worst job

Overall Rating: 200/200

Work Environment
    Very Poor: 196/200

Stress
    Very High: 198/200

Projected Growth
    Very Poor: 195/200

source - go to the bottom of page to see the last ranked job.

So, crudely speaking, journalism cannot be expected to have the best quality there. Their work become more interested in advocate who pays for publish info than for who read the info published. Who has power-money to support the news, tends to gain notoriety and the front pages of the newspapers.

Yes, they surely are coward and ambigous while say "our job is to give info to people", while they spread disinfos or half-infos, never showing what the few power-money don't want people readers being well informed about.

while Assange provided them contents to pressure powerful people, they negotiated to later compromise the revelations brought to the public by Assange, because Assange (alone) have no power-money to support mainstream media around the world for long. But adversaries which Assange fought has It.

a good rhetorical question can be asked here: Why Expect the Best Result of the Worst Job?

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (29th February 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (29th February 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Franny (29th February 2020), jjjones (1st March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), Violet3 (4th March 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

From the Guardian:

Assange complained on Wednesday that he was unable to communicate with his lawyers from his position in the dock. “I am as much a participant in these proceedings as I am watching Wimbledon,” he said.

Mark Summers QC argued on Thursday that his client should be allowed to sit with his lawyers during May’s hearings. He said that secure docks – in which defendants sit behind bulletproof glass – were a relatively recent phenomenon in English courts and had been criticised for their impact on a fair trial

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...political-ends

We can expect this kind of treatment in the future, for breaking any kind of law. Poor Julian. He tried.

Dennis--thanks for the push to update what is going on with Julian Assange.

I hope the Brits scream their damn country down if the controllers try to extradict him to the U.S.

And no, Trump supporters, Trump is not waiting for his extradition to set him free.
    You do understand Assange is a pawn to be moved (or not) on a grand chessboard by those who play this game of chess, right? Unless folks "get that," they can scream at the outrage of what has happened to him and what is happening to him (a rigged court) and what may happen to him (extradition and dispensation in the US), but focusing on "the moves" and "the pawn" alone, will never ever result in the underlying dynamic. So while people scream about Assange (a big boy who knew the stakes), they spray their bullets at targets that have a much greater chance in dismantling the structure of that which is holding up this dynamic.

In my most humble opinion, this is done out of ignorance or is done due to lack of personal development where they have failed to recognize the things they want require the dynamic remain in place.

I was once ignorant AND lacking in the minimal required standard of personal development. What died first was the ignorance, when I was arrested by the FBI in 1998. It is only in the last few years I reached the minimal standard to recognize my own hypocrisies in thinking the system could be changed to my liking OR the system could be changed by my barking as a dog fenced outside of the system. The only thing that will solve the problem is a fundamental change of the system and human history shows that for this to happen, the old system must fall.

Why not throw energy behind the ending of that system in a profound and lasting way?
    Last edited by Chester; 29th February 2020 at 15:57.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), Andre (13th March 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (29th February 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Franny (29th February 2020), Jayke (29th February 2020), jjjones (1st March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), RogeRio (29th February 2020), Sadieblue (29th February 2020), Savannah (24th April 2020), Violet3 (4th March 2020), wnlight (13th March 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

More on media ambivalence. Such a head scratcher. They aren't ambivalent, they are cowardly. Call it what it is!

This interview, the NZZ argued, had piqued the interest of journalists, who had previously shown little interest in the case. “The part-time media interest in Assange’s fate reflects the ambivalence of journalists towards the activist,” it said.

“Some editorial offices cooperated with him ten years ago when it came to evaluating secret files that WikiLeaks had received. But the headstrong Australian soon rubbed people up the wrong way – his vanity and anarchistic attitude making him a loner. Political activism was more important to him than journalism. This weakened his support in the media.”

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/wikilea...sange/45583876

Wake up... journalism (other than extremely independent journalism that survives to fight another day) is dead. The "animated" yet soulless beings pretending to be journalists are minions of their masters. I thought Avalonians knew this.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), Andre (13th March 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (29th February 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Franny (29th February 2020), jjjones (1st March 2020), JRS (3rd March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), RogeRio (29th February 2020), Sadieblue (29th February 2020), Savannah (24th April 2020), Violet3 (4th March 2020), wnlight (13th March 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I am not surprised with the tactics employed by those in power against those they despise, for whatever reason. It is part of the over-arching agenda of these globalists. I am right in the middle of this and my life is a lesson in its implementation here in Canada.

The agenda revolves around identifying every possible activity in the human spectrum, design steering committees and organizations to oversee and enforce all such activities, construct remedial and rehabilitative strategies to deal with subversives, install punitive measures to cripple resistance, and remove or severely curtail fringe movements and alternative viewpoints deemed to be enemies of the agenda, whether knowingly or not. Each of these points can be expounded upon, each is a volume in itself. This is what I call the modern recipe of life. Not one part of it is novel, not one part of it leads to the greater good.

The dignity of being human is the right to follow any one of the many sanctioned recipe professions and modes of achieving same.

Julian did not follow the rules. Assange is therefore living an unsanctioned life and deserves no respect or deference.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Dennis Leahy (1st March 2020), Franny (29th February 2020), Inaiá (1st March 2020), jjjones (1st March 2020), Philippe (29th February 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), RogeRio (29th February 2020), wnlight (13th March 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I am not surprised with the tactics employed by those in power against those they despise, for whatever reason. It is part of the over-arching agenda of these globalists.

Julian did not follow the rules. Assange is therefore living an unsanctioned life and deserves no respect or deference.
    Ernie, did you mean, "[so in the eyes of those in power, he] deserves no respect" ? Or that you feel he deserves no respect?

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

anandacate (2nd March 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Ernie Nemeth (1st March 2020), Inaiá (1st March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), Violet3 (4th March 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    I am not surprised with the tactics employed by those in power against those they despise, for whatever reason. It is part of the over-arching agenda of these globalists.

Ernie, did you mean, "[so in the eyes of those in power, he] deserves no respect" ? Or that you feel he deserves no respect?
    Unless I'm a havin me a senior moment here Dennis, our dear friend Ernie is clearly stating the former when his entire post is read in context.

16. Link to Post #9
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Have any of you not experienced exactly that? When you have violated one of their bylaws? How are you treated? As a prodigal son or a convict?

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Agape (8th March 2020), anandacate (2nd March 2020), Antagenet (3rd March 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Dennis Leahy (2nd March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,091 times in 20,639 posts

Media finally coming to Assange’s defense
    Mar 3, 2020
    RT America

(Hopefully not too late...)

"Independent journalist Taylor Hudak is back in the US after covering the Julian Assange trial in London. She joins Rick to discuss the surprising presence of mainstream media outlets at the trial, and the prospects of Assange's extradition to the United States."
    Each breath a gift...

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Agape (8th March 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (8th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (7th March 2020), Mari (8th March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th March 2020)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Sammy (here)
    Wake up... journalism (other than extremely independent journalism that survives to fight another day) is dead.
    That independent journalism as you rightly point out Sammy is, IMO, our lifeline at present for the continued free flow of information.

The ongoing persecution, now torture, and very likely soon to be extradition of Assange to the US on trumped up (pardon the pun ) espionage charges, is a dire warning to those brave comparative few still out there informing us.

"This, can be you too now that the much needed legal precedent has been set".

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,243 times in 4,597 posts

Have any of you not experienced exactly that? When you have violated one of their bylaws? How are you treated? As a prodigal son or a convict?
    One word yes. From “prodigal daughter” lift down to “who are you trespassing on our property trying to save the world, you “expletives” with fake motivations, we are entitled to take your life by one hit ..”.

He has very little chance to get out of that scenario unless for huge public support, not lynching and fight for opinions.
    Many people are somewhere “in the middle” with their opinions and when hard situations hit they’re more likely to believe what “it looks like” to everybody else, also. Common hypocrisy.

Too sad

🙏

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Mari (12th March 2020), Pieman (8th March 2020)

23. Link to Post #13
    France Avalon Member
    Language
    French
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,375 times in 354 posts

From The Telegraph:

This can come under this thread I guess.

Chelsea Manning in hospital after suicide attempt

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=spartanntp

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Post:

Agape (13th March 2020), Ben (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 times in 233 posts

I'm reminded of an event, that at the time, gave me hope and belief, that even those upholding the corrupt system, are not necessarily bad people.

During the G8 summit in Auchterarder in Scotland, I had an interesting exchange with a riot cop. He was in a line of about 10 police, all with their faces covered,and no identification numbers on show (totally illegal).

I cought a slight sparkle in his eyes, and so decided to engage with him.

I pointed out that we, the protesters, weren't doing this just for activists like me, and that we were doing it for everyone in society. I pointed out to him that him and his family matter no more to those in power, and that his rights as a human were just as at risk as the rest of us.

He responded, sadly, with the question, that considering he had a family, a mortgage etc., How could he possibly leave his career as an enforcing officer of the establishment.
    I responded by saying it's entirely up to you, if you feel strongly enough, to quit and find another job.

He gave me a very sad look of helplessness.

At which point, a senior, angry looking Sargent came along and simply dragged the guy away.

That policeman was a good hearted human being, and so have me the belief that the enforcers of the system might just rebel if things get serious enough.

Like now.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

Agape (13th March 2020), Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Mari (13th March 2020), Patient (13th March 2020), Philippe (13th March 2020)

27. Link to Post #15
    France Avalon Member
    Language
    French
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,375 times in 354 posts

Quote Posted by Philippe (here)
    From The Telegraph:

Judge orders Chelsea Manning's release from jail in Virginia

Last edited by Philippe; 13th March 2020 at 07:21.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Post:

Ben (14th March 2020), Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Mari (13th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (13th March 2020)

29. Link to Post #16
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 times in 672 posts

From The Telegraph:

Judge orders Chelsea Manning's release from jail in Virginia

Oh god if they really have released her, it has made my day!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Ben (14th March 2020), Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Philippe (13th March 2020)

31. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A relevant commentary and guesses as to what this may lead to -

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Mari (13th March 2020), Philippe (13th March 2020)

33. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

additional relevant commentary and the suggestion of reliance on "an upper court" -

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Mari (14th March 2020), onawah (13th March 2020)

35. Link to Post #19
    France Avalon Member OopsWrongPlanet?'s Avatar
    Thanks

As a reminder, here's a link to a GoFundMe Fundraiser to help with Julian Assange's legal battle. It's put out by his mother Christine.

I think that anyone who values honest open journalism and free speech will probably want to support this effort:-

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-my-s...8mrHC9-ayUcvKE

x M

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OopsWrongPlanet? For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), fifi (18th March 2020), Mari (14th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th March 2020)

37. Link to Post #20
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 times in 672 posts

Quote Posted by OopsWrongPlanet? (here)
    As a reminder, here's a link to a GoFundMe Fundraiser to help with Julian Assange's legal battle. It's put out by his mother Christine.

I think that anyone who values honest open journalism and free speech will probably want to support this effort:-

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-my-s...8mrHC9-ayUcvKE

x M
    Done it

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Billy (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (16th March 2020), Icare (24th April 2020), OopsWrongPlanet? (14th March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast