+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 275 FirstFirst 1 5 15 55 105 275 LastLast

Thread: Covid19: Global reports, news and updates

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,261 times in 5,712 posts

Default Re: Covid19: Global reports, news and updates

The questions are building about global institutions being tied to China.

Temporary burials in NY parks? That means to me many more are dying daily than usual.

NYC may temporarily bury coronavirus victims in parks: lawmaker
    By Julia Marsh, Rich Calder and Natalie Musumeci
    April 6, 2020
    Last edited by Delight; 6th April 2020 at 20:22.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Basho (6th April 2020), Bill Ryan (6th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), silvanelf (6th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,066 times in 3,146 posts

Bill yes, Im sure this is true, but i still bet when given the choice, most will still want to live in the USA. I know I would.

Its like when in the car and your the driver, you have the illusion you are safer than if someone else is driving.

I think that makes sense? lol

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th April 2020), silvanelf (6th April 2020), Strat (6th April 2020)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by Delight (here)
    The questions are building about global institutions

Yes. Among much else, what's so very transparently revealing is the WHO's refusal to mention or answer questions about Taiwan. This is now obvious even to mainstream reporters.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (7th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), graciousb (7th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), kudzy (7th April 2020), sllim11 (6th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020), sunwings (6th April 2020), Yoda (7th April 2020)

7. Link to Post #84
    Hong Kong Avalon Member Brightstar's Avatar
    Thanks

It is reported tonight Boris has been moved to intensive care, sounds serious.....

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brightstar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), greybeard (7th April 2020), onevoice (7th April 2020), silvanelf (6th April 2020), sllim11 (6th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

i saw this today on my newsfeed from apple on iphone... dated today(for some reason the date doesn't copy?)

"US, Canada To Shutdown Airspace

MIAMI – The Goverments of the United States and Canada are due to announce the shutdown of their airspace in the coming weeks. The measure would excempt cargo, government and militaty flights.
    According to a report by fliegerfaust.com, while the shutdown might be due to the US government’s decision to interdict shipment of N95 masks to Canada by 3M, government, military, and cargo-only aircraft will be allowed to fly. Alas, there is no word on when the shutdown will cease.

In addition, the decision entails that refitted passenger-to-cargo passenger aircraft will be prohibited from entering the closed airspace, as it is easier to disinfect cargo-only aircraft than than to clean passenger aircraft with carpets and hard to reach areas.
    As such, American Airlines, Air Canada, Delta Air Lines United Airlines and a number of regional transporters are about to see their operations shut down completely. We expect more information regarding the bi-national airspace shutdown to be confirmed in the coming days.
    Do you think the shutdown is a good idea, now that we are entering the expected two-week peak of the pandemic? Leave you comments below, and as always, stay tuned to Airways’s coverage of the COVID-19 crisis and its fallout on commercial aviation worldwide."

when i tried to send article to my desktop it said...

"Error 404
    PAGE NOT FOUND
    Sorry, someone has already been here before...
    and he probably broke this page

Back to Homepage"

now i can't find article on that website https://airwaysmag.com/

seems strange?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sllim11 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th April 2020), DaveToo (6th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), onevoice (6th April 2020)

11. Link to Post #86
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,858 times in 11,838 posts

Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after coronavirus symptoms worsen

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/boris-john...191940523.html

PM ‘still conscious’ but moved after having breathing trouble on Monday afternoon

Johnson was moved at 7pm on Monday - just two hours after daily press briefing

Raab: Johnson’s condition ‘deteriorated over course of Monday afternoon’

Foreign secretary Dominic Raab will ‘deputise where necessary’

News brings outpouring of support from across British politics

Buckingham Palace: Queen ‘kept informed of prime minister’s condition’

Johnson’s pregnant fiancee Carrie Symonds also receives huge wave of support in wake of news

Prime minister Boris Johnson has been taken to intensive care after his coronavirus symptoms worsened.

Johnson had been in St Thomas’ Hospital in central London for tests and observation, but his doctors advised he be admitted to intensive care after he experienced breathing difficulties.

The prime minister is said to be still conscious, but was moved to an ICU at 7pm on Monday in case he needed a ventilator.

He had been admitted to hospital on Sunday after his coronavirus symptoms persisted for 10 days.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th April 2020), Satori (6th April 2020)

13. Link to Post #87
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,956 times in 538 posts

Quote Posted by sllim11 (here)
    i saw this today on my newsfeed from apple on iphone... dated today(for some reason the date doesn't copy?)

"US, Canada To Shutdown Airspace

MIAMI – The Goverments of the United States and Canada are due to announce the shutdown of their airspace in the coming weeks. The measure would excempt cargo, government and militaty flights.
    According to a report by fliegerfaust.com, while the shutdown might be due to the US government’s decision to interdict shipment of N95 masks to Canada by 3M, government, military, and cargo-only aircraft will be allowed to fly. Alas, there is no word on when the shutdown will cease.

In addition, the decision entails that refitted passenger-to-cargo passenger aircraft will be prohibited from entering the closed airspace, as it is easier to disinfect cargo-only aircraft than than to clean passenger aircraft with carpets and hard to reach areas.
    As such, American Airlines, Air Canada, Delta Air Lines United Airlines and a number of regional transporters are about to see their operations shut down completely. We expect more information regarding the bi-national airspace shutdown to be confirmed in the coming days.
    Do you think the shutdown is a good idea, now that we are entering the expected two-week peak of the pandemic? Leave you comments below, and as always, stay tuned to Airways’s coverage of the COVID-19 crisis and its fallout on commercial aviation worldwide."

when i tried to send article to my desktop it said...

"Error 404
    PAGE NOT FOUND
    Sorry, someone has already been here before...
    and he probably broke this page

Back to Homepage"

now i can't find article on that website https://airwaysmag.com/

seems strange?
    I am seeing similar article to what you are describing here:

United States and Canada Are About To Announce The Shutdown Of Their Airspace

12:40 - (16:40 UTC) - April 6, 2020 - by Sylvain Faust for fliegerfaust.com

According to multiple reliable sources the governments of both the United States and Canada are about to announce the shutdown of their airspace to everything but private cargo, government, law enforcement and military aircrafts. The decision should be made public in the next few days.

As for cargo flights, only real "cargo" airplane will be allowed to fly, --no passenger aircraft quickly modified to carry cargo. It seems that to disinfect a cargo aircraft is much less tedious than an airliner with carpets, and plenty of difficult to reach areas.

Obviously, as you can assume, carriers such as Air Canada, American Airlines, United, Delta and a number of regional transporters should all see their operations come to a complete halt.

Sources add no definite ending date has been selected yet.

This makes sense when everyone has to be confined at home and not travel, why then should we be able to travel by airplane, when not allowed by car?

Hopefully this should allow the peak of the infection to be reached in the next 14 days, providing a return to some level of normality by the beginning of May.

Maybe the recent move by the US government to interdict shipment of N95 masks to Canada by 3M will incite the Trudeau government to exclude all US firms from the bidding process for the replacement of CF-18 fighter jets... This would leave SAAB alone with their Gripen in the contest. Maybe Airbus Eurofighter would then consider a comeback in the contest, offering again a tantalizing "made in Canada" edition of their Typhoon as offered by Airbus?

Stay tuned to Fliegerfaust for more if this happens…

By Sylvain Faust

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), sllim11 (6th April 2020)

15. Link to Post #88
    Thanks

Look at this, in Pakistan, and be horrified. At least in some places, humanity may be gradually descending into some kind of barbarism.

Pakistan Doctors Beaten, Arrested For Protest Over COVID-19 Protection

(They were protesting over lack of personal protective equipment/PPE.)

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adi (6th April 2020), Alan (6th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), Icare (7th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), kudzy (7th April 2020), Matthew (6th April 2020), onevoice (6th April 2020), silvanelf (7th April 2020), sllim11 (6th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020), thepainterdoug (6th April 2020), Yoda (7th April 2020)

17. Link to Post #89
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,169 times in 3,982 posts

I see about 500 new cases here since yesterday, getting right at 3,000. Of these, 270 hospitalized.

Like with unemployment, businesses have trouble getting their loans. If you were at Wells Fargo, they were capped at $10 billion due to making false accounts in 2018. But, due to the inconvenience, the punishment may be lifted. Anyway, a bunch of those customers were suddenly cut off on Saturday.

And then you will find places only serving current customers, along with websites getting overloaded and quit working.

Bank of America has 177,000 applications for $32 billion, so, that is actually about $180k per loan. Theoretically, a big chunk of this is supposed to cover payroll.

I am told the line at Wal-mart wraps around the building, but so far I haven't seen anything unusual in the small town. This stuff has broken into several prisons around the country, but, out here in most of the rural areas, there's nothing.

Unemployment, of course, is worse than having your payroll covered, being a portion of what was barely enough to scrape by. I don't know why "help" always assumes you were living in largess with a lot to dispose of. I tried to get more of this earlier, but, it wasn't working.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), silvanelf (7th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020)

19. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hello to dear avalonians, I wanted to report that here in Iran hydroxychloroquine has been prescribed by doctors for more than a month and it’s working for some I dont know about everyone, but there’s a big rumor about a new japanese and now manufactured by chinese drug called avigan (favipiravir) here and that it has been priscribed for a high rank government official(Ali Larijani) and it is sold in the black market for like 3 thousand dollars a sheet, I don’t know wether they created these rumors to sell the drug or that it is more effective than chloroquine

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

Alan (7th April 2020), Bill Ryan (7th April 2020), DaveToo (7th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), Elainie (7th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), silvanelf (7th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020), spade (7th April 2020), Sue (Ayt) (8th April 2020), T Smith (7th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (7th April 2020)

21. Link to Post #91
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

If they kill Boris, they wanted to kill Brexit. Pray for Boris’ survival, not about politics, but apparently he didnt get the HCQ memo.... just loathe these wicked evildoers...

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), Elainie (7th April 2020), graciousb (8th April 2020), greybeard (7th April 2020), T Smith (7th April 2020), varuna (7th April 2020)

23. Link to Post #92
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,221 times in 2,093 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Look at this, in Pakistan, and be horrified. At least in some places, humanity may be gradually descending into some kind of barbarism.

Pakistan Doctors Beaten, Arrested For Protest Over COVID-19 Protection

(They were protesting over lack of personal protective equipment/PPE.)

Police are trained and brainwashed to think a particular way.

The same thing will happen anywhere if given half a chance - police are waiting for a chance to use force.

Please be careful!

One thing I just realized - here we are told that we are not allowed more than one person in a car during the pandemic. The only reason I can think of is that it leaves you with having no witness if you are pulled over by police.

Always remember to "outwitness" your opponent.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (7th April 2020), graciousb (8th April 2020), greybeard (7th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), T Smith (7th April 2020)

25. Link to Post #93
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

The airlines are asking for $50 thousand million after spending $45 thousand million buying back their own stocks.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...y-15182769.php

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

onevoice (7th April 2020), Valerie Villars (7th April 2020)

27. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

More from Guayaquil, in Ecuador. (But nowhere else in the country. )

From https://theguardian.com/world/live/2...085d226cfd476c

~~~
    A photograph tweeted out by the mayor of Ecuador’s largest city gives a sense of the scale of the coronavirus tragedy it is now facing, writes Tom Phillips, the Guardian’s Latin America correspondent.

Hundreds of people are feared to have died in Guayaquil in recent days with hospitals and mortuaries so stretched that corpses have been dumped on the streets or outside homes.

“The things we have seen are straight out of a horror film,” one local doctor told the Guardian last weekend.

On Monday night mayor Cynthia Viteri, who has herself been self-isolating after testing positive for Covid-19, said two cemeteries were being built for victims - with a total size of nearly 30 acres (the equivalent of nearly 15 football pitches).

“These spaces will be dedicated to the memory of the guayaquileños who have died during this health emergency,” Viteri tweeted.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 7th April 2020 at 13:45.

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

graciousb (8th April 2020), greybeard (7th April 2020), Inaiá (10th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), Kryztian (10th April 2020), kudzy (7th April 2020), Maunagarjana (7th April 2020), onevoice (7th April 2020), Salv8tion (7th April 2020), silvanelf (7th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020), sunwings (7th April 2020), Yoda (8th April 2020)

29. Link to Post #95
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Coronavirus: Father fined £480 after son is caught flouting lockdown rules four times

Yahoo News UK George Martin,Yahoo News UK

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronaviru...142423304.html

CATTERICK, UNITED KINGDOM - MARCH 28: A Police Officer from North Yorkshire Police speaks to motorists at a vehicle stop to reinforce the importance of social distancing and staying at home to people in Catterick Garrison in a joint operation with military police from 150 Provost Company Royal Military Police as the UK adjusts to life under the Coronavirus pandemic on March 28, 2020 in Catterick, United Kingdom. New police powers to enforce the coronavirus lockdown will allow officers to use force to make people return home if they are in break of emergency laws. Coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread to at least 199 countries, claiming over 27,000 lives and infecting more than 597,000 people. There have now been 14,543 diagnosed cases in the UK and 759 deaths. (Photo by Ian Forsyth/Getty Images)
    A North Yorkshire Police officers speaks to motorists at a vehicle stop. (Getty)

A father has been fined after his teenage son broke coronavirus lockdown regulations four times in quick succession.

Officers from West Midlands Police issued the man from Walsall with a fixed penalty notice of £480, which could be doubled to £960, if the teenager continues to go outside without a good reason.

The youngster reportedly left his house three times before a warning letter was sent to his father.

When he went out again, the force was left with “no option but to issue a fine”.

Commenting on the fine, Sergeant Stephen Pursglove, of Walsall Police, said “The youth has now come to our attention on four separate occasions when he has been outside without good reason.

“On at least three of these he was with other youths and on one occasion he was abusive to the officer who tried to speak to him as he ran away.

“His father was spoken to after the first incident and the regulations, the reason for them and the risks to all of us, especially the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, were fully explained to him.

“Despite this he has failed prevent his son going out and associating with others not of his family.

“This left us with no option but to issue a fine. If the youth goes out again without good reason and again associates with others the fine will be doubled and could reach £960.”

Reiterating the force’s plea to stay at home, Sgt Pursglove said: “We urge everyone to stay at home and only go out for a short period of exercise once a day, or to go to the shop for essential items or travel to work where it is not possible to work from home.

“Some people seem to think that they will not catch the virus but they can unwittingly pass it on to others as well as catching it themselves.

“Thousands of people have now died in our own country and many thousands more will die if we don’t all do everything asked of us to prevent the spread of the virus.

“While the vast majority of people are doing as they are asked, it is a pity we now have to put ourselves at risk dealing with those who do not.”

30. Link to Post #96
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,261 times in 5,712 posts

Vitamin C is not a placebo but an effective treatment.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

IChingUChing (7th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), silvanelf (7th April 2020), Sophocles (7th April 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (9th April 2020)

32. Link to Post #97
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,974 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    More from Guayaquil, in Ecuador. (But nowhere else in the country. )

From https://theguardian.com/world/live/2...085d226cfd476c

~~~
    A photograph tweeted out by the mayor of Ecuador’s largest city gives a sense of the scale of the coronavirus tragedy it is now facing, writes Tom Phillips, the Guardian’s Latin America correspondent.

Hundreds of people are feared to have died in Guayaquil in recent days with hospitals and mortuaries so stretched that corpses have been dumped on the streets or outside homes.

“The things we have seen are straight out of a horror film,” one local doctor told the Guardian last weekend.

On Monday night mayor Cynthia Viteri, who has herself been self-isolating after testing positive for Covid-19, said two cemeteries were being built for victims - with a total size of nearly 30 acres (the equivalent of nearly 15 football pitches).

“These spaces will be dedicated to the memory of the guayaquileños who have died during this health emergency,” Viteri tweeted.
    ???
    Judging from the bit of a football field on the bottom of this photograph, this cemetery is less than the size of two pitches. Either the other cemetery is ten times bigger or someone has overstated the acreage.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

silvanelf (7th April 2020)

34. Link to Post #98
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,066 times in 3,146 posts

Thanks Delight

Vitamin C being referred to as a placebo drug. But they don't mention the dose, how much and how often? We all know Vit C has to be taken in large doses 10 thou milligrams per day at least and sipped thru the day, and that Liposomal C is best for true body retention.

so they might as well give a salt pill if they are not proceeding seriously with the Vitamin thing

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Elainie (7th April 2020), justntime2learn (7th April 2020), silvanelf (7th April 2020)

36. Link to Post #99
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,345 times in 5,388 posts

[Letter to the American Thoracic Society - March 2020]

Covid-19 Does Not Lead to a “Typical” Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome - Luciano Gattinoni et al (Copyright © 2020)

AJRCCM Articles in Press. Published March 30, 2020 as 10.1164/rccm.202003-0817LE

Source: https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/....202003-0817LE

A really good look at what the intensivists are doing and discovering and the results shared with this journal, March-end. (This letter was sourced from a recent Jon Rappoport article and is being posted here without any particular commentary as the letter gives a good insight into what is being discovered, and being undertaken.)

Text:

Dear Editor,

In northern Italy an overwhelming number of patients with Covid-19 pneumonia and acute respiratory failure have been admitted to our Intensive Care Units.

Attention is primarily focused on increasing the number of beds, ventilators and intensivists brought to bear on the problem, while the clinical approach to these patients is the one typically applied to severe ARDS, namely high Positive End Expiratory Pressure (PEEP) and prone positioning.

However, the patients with Covid-19 pneumonia, fulfilling the Berlin criteria of ARDS, present an atypical form of the syndrome. Indeed, the primary characteristics we are observing (confirmed by colleagues in other hospitals), is the dissociation between their relatively well preserved lung mechanics and the severity of hypoxemia.

As shown in our first 16 patients (Figure 1), the respiratory system compliance of 50.2 ± 14.3 ml/cmH2O is associated with shunt fraction of 0.50 ± 0.11. Such a wide discrepancy is virtually never seen in most forms of ARDS. Relatively high compliance indicates well preserved lung gas volume in this patient
    cohort, in sharp contrast to expectations for severe ARDS.

A possible explanation for such severe hypoxemia occurring in compliant lungs is the loss of lung perfusion regulation and hypoxic vasoconstriction. Actually, in ARDS, the ratio between the shunt fraction to the fraction of gasless tissue is highly variable, with mean 1.25 ± 0.80(1). In eight of our patients with CT scan, however, we measured a ratio of 3.0 ± 2.1, suggesting remarkable hyperperfusion of gasless tissue.

If so, the oxygenation increases with high PEEP and/or prone position are not primarily due to recruitment, the usual mechanism in ARDS(2), but instead, in these patients with a poorly recruitable pneumonia(3), to the redistribution of perfusion in response to pressure and/or gravitational forces.

We should consider that:
    1. Patients treated with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure or Non Invasive Ventilation, presenting with clinical signs of excessive inspiratory efforts, intubation should be prioritized to avoid excessive intrathoracic negative pressures and self-inflicted lung injury(4).
    2. High PEEP in a poorly recruitable lung tends to result in severe hemodynamic impairment and fluid retention;
    3. Prone positioning of patients with relatively high compliance results in a modest benefit at the price of a high demand for stressed human resources.
    After considering that, all we can do ventilating these patients is “buying time” with minimum additional damage: the lowest possible PEEP and gentle ventilation. We need to be patient.

Last edited by Tintin; 7th April 2020 at 21:01.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

silvanelf (7th April 2020), Snoweagle (7th April 2020)

38. Link to Post #100
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Releasing young people could be best way out of lockdown, experts suggest

Kalila Sangster,Yahoo Finance UK

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/co...150828964.html

Releasing young people aged between 20 and 30 years old who do not live at home with their parents could be the best route out of coronavirus lockdown in the UK, researchers have suggested.

The strategy could help to balance the health risks associated with coronavirus and help the economy avoid an “extraordinary recession”, according to a new briefing paper by experts at the University of Warwick and Warwick Business School.

The UK does not currently have an exit strategy for the coronavirus lockdown, implemented to protect people from the spread of the deadly virus. But as the crisis continues, the strain placed upon the economy worsens.

Allowing the 4.2 million 20- to 30-year-olds in the UK who do not live with older people to resume their daily lives could get the economy moving again, while protecting older people who appear to be more susceptible to severe cases of the virus.

Of those, 2.6 million are employed in the private sector and are more likely to lose their jobs or income during a lengthy lockdown. Releasing them to resume work would allow them to fulfil vital roles in the UK’s transport and delivery network, or open small businesses to stimulate the economy, according to the report.

Read more: Workers under-25 and women financially worst hit by coronavirus

Keeping half of young private sector workers from being made redundant could generate an additional £13bn ($16bn) a year for the economy, the researchers found.

A separate study by the Institute for Fiscal Studies found that younger workers are likely to be hit the hardest by the lockdown, as they are nearly two-and-a-half times more likely to work in a shutdown area, with 30% of workers under the age of 25 employed in those sectors, compared with 13% of those aged 25 and over.

Andrew Oswald, professor of economics and behavioural science at the University of Warwick, said: “The rationale for lockdown is to save lives in the short to medium term.

“However, severe damage is being done to the economy, future incomes, unemployment rates, levels of national debt, and the freedoms we enjoy as a modern society. Before long, some balance will have to be struck.”

Another reason for the early release of young people highlighted by the report is that this age group could become increasingly restless over time and are more likely to break the rules of the lockdown, creating a domino effect that undermines public safety.

Read more: Travel and hospitality hardest hit as COVID-19 continues to ravage UK job market

The report warns that the government would also have to communicate the rationale for the age restrictions clearly to older adults to minimise resentment and police officers would have to enforce them.

The research suggests that older adults could be released from lockdown through a strategy of staged release, using antibody testing to check that people had already recovered from coronavirus.

The researchers also pointed out that young adults are statistically less likely to die from coronavirus or develop severe symptoms.

However, unless a vaccine is found to completely eliminate the disease, the researchers calculated that this policy could result in an estimated 630 extra premature deaths.

Nick Powdthavee, professor of behavioural economics at Warwick Business School, said: “We support the existing lockdown strategy, but in the future it will be necessary to allow citizens to go back to some kind of normal life.

“Unless a vaccine is suddenly discovered there are no risk-free or painless ways forward.

“If this policy were enacted, there would still be tragic cases and some pressure on the NHS, but the effects would be far smaller than if the wider population were released.

Read more: Wellcome Trust calls on businesses to donate $8bn for COVID-19 research

“It could allow our society and economy to move forward in the footsteps of the young, while allowing older workers to share the economic rewards by providing supervision, mentoring, and managerial assistance electronically through sources such as Skype, Zoom, and Facetime.”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 275 FirstFirst 1 5 15 55 105 275 LastLast