+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Thread: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

1. Link to Post #101
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,403 times in 7,874 posts

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

The Geenhouse is almost ready to start planting! Did some patchwork on the roof, got the dirt all turned over, peat moss added, etc. Started several plants inside earlier (short summers in Canada), so far, habenero peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, tomatoes, chard, spinach, and a few others already starting. Peas, carrots, turnips can be planted soon. Also growing turmeric and ginger from some roots I got at the grocery store that started to sprout. Those two will probably have to be house plants though. Potatoes will go outside the greenhouse since the deer don't eat those.

I also have to do a full roof replacement on the greenhouse in the next few days here ... the patchwork was just temporary until we could get it cleaned out and ready to go for the season.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Anka (15th April 2021), Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (15th April 2021), Brigantia (15th April 2021), Constance (15th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), EFO (15th April 2021), Harmony (16th April 2021), Miha (16th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (15th April 2021), Trisher (29th April 2021)

3. Link to Post #102
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 times in 109 posts

Thanks EFO another tip for your melons is to plant them in 1 lit pots and (as you know melons don't like wet stems) them cut the bottom off the pot and stand it onto of your 10lit pot and voila no more wet melon stems when you water.

So pleased you managed to get some heirloom varieties this year they will make a big difference to your seed saving abilities.

Thanks for the offer of help with the tomatoes and I do plant some outside every year just to see what happens. We always seems to get a cold spells during the summer which means the tomato skin end up tough and hard, not nice. I have tried the soluble aspirin trick and the sodium bicarbonate, oil and organic dishwashing soap trick. I'd rather grown them under cover and I still get plenty to share, eat and 'can'.

I am always happy to share and talk x

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    Dear Earth Girl,

As a gardener to an other gardener we have to help each other,not only with ideas,but also in physical plane,were available.For example,this year,after many years of growing hybrids (we only have potatoes,garlic and peach trees as pure species),finally this year we found gardeners who grow old species of tomatoes,different paprika,watermelons and melons,carrots,cucumbers and for the first time we'll grow Luffa.
    Our potatoes we have the potato taste we were used in the childhood,while the villagers are "infused" every year with all kind of potatoes,of which I tried them,and as me they are complaining that the potatoes don't boil or can't be fried and even if that happened they have no taste at all.With garlic is the same,they lost the "seeds" and now they buy it and having that particular slightly bitter-ish taste instead of slightly sweet taste among its natural garlic taste.As per peach trees,they are so pure that they sprouted from their own seeds.

And you gave me a great idea of growing melons in pots.Thank you!

We're also living in a very humid area (hills shadow,mist or fog,a lot of dew,rains and a large river - practically we live in a corridor of permanent moisture),so humid that every year we have to fight with tomatoes fungi until we found different variants not to kill the fungi,but to highly reduce their influence over tomatoes using copper sulfate for soil and plants,peroxide and sodium bicarbonate among others more or less.So we have to find together a solution for you to be able to grow outside your tomatoes.We have to talk.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EarthGirl For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Brigantia (16th April 2021), DeDukshyn (16th April 2021), EFO (17th April 2021), Harmony (29th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Trisher (29th April 2021)

5. Link to Post #103
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'd be interested to hear how you get on DeDukshyn, as the crow flies position wise on this earth we are probably not that far off latitude wise, but because we have the influence of the Gulf Stream we seems to be warmer. Although this year has proved to be very cold and like you we have limited growing time as regards light, temp etc.

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    The Geenhouse is almost ready to start planting! Did some patchwork on the roof, got the dirt all turned over, peat moss added, etc. Started several plants inside earlier (short summers in Canada), so far, habenero peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, tomatoes, chard, spinach, and a few others already starting. Peas, carrots, turnips can be planted soon. Also growing turmeric and ginger from some roots I got at the grocery store that started to sprout. Those two will probably have to be house plants though. Potatoes will go outside the greenhouse since the deer don't eat those.

I also have to do a full roof replacement on the greenhouse in the next few days here ... the patchwork was just temporary until we could get it cleaned out and ready to go for the season.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to EarthGirl For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Brigantia (16th April 2021), DeDukshyn (16th April 2021), EFO (17th April 2021), Harmony (29th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (29th April 2021), Trisher (29th April 2021)

7. Link to Post #104
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,403 times in 7,874 posts

Quote Posted by EarthGirl (here)
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on DeDukshyn, as the crow flies position wise on this earth we are probably not that far off latitude wise, but because we have the influence of the Gulf Stream we seems to be warmer. Although this year has proved to be very cold and like you we have limited growing time as regards light, temp etc.

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

I'll keep this thread updated through the summer with some pics! I'll watch for yours here as well.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Brigantia (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), EFO (17th April 2021), Harmony (29th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (29th April 2021)

9. Link to Post #105
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,346 times in 1,711 posts

Thanks EFO another tip for your melons is to plant them in 1 lit pots and (as you know melons don't like wet stems) them cut the bottom off the pot and stand it onto of your 10lit pot and voila no more wet melon stems when you water.

So pleased you managed to get some heirloom varieties this year they will make a big difference to your seed saving abilities.

Thanks for the offer of help with the tomatoes and I do plant some outside every year just to see what happens. We always seems to get a cold spells during the summer which means the tomato skin end up tough and hard, not nice. I have tried the soluble aspirin trick and the sodium bicarbonate, oil and organic dishwashing soap trick. I'd rather grown them under cover and I still get plenty to share, eat and 'can'.

I am always happy to share and talk x

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    Dear Earth Girl,

As a gardener to an other gardener we have to help each other,not only with ideas,but also in physical plane,were available.For example,this year,after many years of growing hybrids (we only have potatoes,garlic and peach trees as pure species),finally this year we found gardeners who grow old species of tomatoes,different paprika,watermelons and melons,carrots,cucumbers and for the first time we'll grow Luffa.
    Our potatoes we have the potato taste we were used in the childhood,while the villagers are "infused" every year with all kind of potatoes,of which I tried them,and as me they are complaining that the potatoes don't boil or can't be fried and even if that happened they have no taste at all.With garlic is the same,they lost the "seeds" and now they buy it and having that particular slightly bitter-ish taste instead of slightly sweet taste among its natural garlic taste.As per peach trees,they are so pure that they sprouted from their own seeds.

And you gave me a great idea of growing melons in pots.Thank you!

We're also living in a very humid area (hills shadow,mist or fog,a lot of dew,rains and a large river - practically we live in a corridor of permanent moisture),so humid that every year we have to fight with tomatoes fungi until we found different variants not to kill the fungi,but to highly reduce their influence over tomatoes using copper sulfate for soil and plants,peroxide and sodium bicarbonate among others more or less.So we have to find together a solution for you to be able to grow outside your tomatoes.We have to talk.
    Dear EarthGirl,

I need your help,guidance,details and advice regarding melon-ing

We have a few buckets of 5 liters with sprouted melons and in each bucket are more or less 15 young plants.My questions for you are:
    1-How many plants should I left in the 5 liters bucket?
    2-The bigger bucket housing the 5 liters bucket need to me filled with soil or water or should be let it empty and watering only the 5 liter bucket?

Many thanks in advance for your guidance and time to reply.

As a side note,we started plating tomatoes and this year for the first time we used zeolite.After plating them we watering them with a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide already used before with very good results among other things
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (29th April 2021), Brigantia (29th April 2021), EarthGirl (29th April 2021), Harmony (29th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (29th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (29th April 2021), Trisher (29th April 2021)

11. Link to Post #106
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,946 times in 326 posts

I have decided to use Humic acid on my soil in the Polytunnel this year. I tinkered with it last year but feel that the soil could use a real boost. Its a brown powder and I can either place a tiny amount into the base of plants when planting or I can water it in as it is water soluble. I am also putting it into my comfrey and nettle barrel as it will pull more nutrients out and make them more available. I have not tried Zeolite but do use Rockdust. Why are you using Zeolite EFO?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (29th April 2021), Brigantia (29th April 2021), EarthGirl (29th April 2021), EFO (29th April 2021), Harmony (29th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (29th April 2021), Miha (29th April 2021)

13. Link to Post #107
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi EFO for example I have attached a photo so that you can see what I mean.

This is an old picture and just for illustration.

Both pots are filled with soil, and make it as rich as you can. This year mine will have well rotted cow manure as well as whatever you want to add to the pot to feed the plant.

Melons are greedy feeders and as I use pots I don't expect more than 1 or 2 melons per plant.

Each plant will need as a minimum at least 10 lit of compost. If you can give them more great.

The first flowers that will appear are the males flowers and once the plant feels happy the female (melon bearing) flowers will appear. If nature doesn't help you then wait for at least 2 female flowers to appear and then use a male flower to hand pollinate both of them.

For some reason when confined to pots if only one female flower has appeared and is pollinated then the plant will put all it's energy into the one fruit. It took ages for me to pollinate a second fruit.

Once the melon has set, you will see if it takes within a week.

Once the fruit starts to grow I feed them every other day, as I said they are greedy feeders.

And they love heat, put them in the hottest place in your polytunnel/greenhouse.

I hope this makes sense?

Name:  IMG_7869.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  26.9 KB

As for zeolite I have never heard of it, I shall have to look it up.

Dear EarthGirl,

We have a few buckets of 5 liters with sprouted melons and in each bucket are more or less 15 young plants.My questions for you are:
    2-The bigger bucket housing the 5 liters bucket need to me filled with soil or water or should be let it empty and watering only the 5 liter bucket?

As a side note,we started plating tomatoes and this year for the first time we used zeolite.After plating them we watering them with a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide already used before with very good results among other things [/QUOTE]

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EarthGirl For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (29th April 2021), Brigantia (29th April 2021), EFO (2nd May 2021), happyuk (29th April 2021), Harmony (2nd May 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (29th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (29th April 2021)

15. Link to Post #108
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'll have to look at the vid thanks Trisher.

Are you finding it a cold start to the season? We haven't had a night when the temp has been over 10c yet and we haven't had any rain for 6wks... I though we might get some today but the clouds parted and it went either side of me...

Quote Posted by Trisher (here)
    I have decided to use Humic acid on my soil in the Polytunnel this year. I tinkered with it last year but feel that the soil could use a real boost. Its a brown powder and I can either place a tiny amount into the base of plants when planting or I can water it in as it is water soluble. I am also putting it into my comfrey and nettle barrel as it will pull more nutrients out and make them more available. I have not tried Zeolite but do use Rockdust. Why are you using Zeolite EFO?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EarthGirl For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (29th April 2021), Brigantia (29th April 2021), EFO (2nd May 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (29th April 2021)

17. Link to Post #109
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,343 times in 529 posts

I am trying something different. I am planting in hay! I have my first hay bale planted so I will see how this goes!
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (2nd May 2021), EarthGirl (29th April 2021), EFO (2nd May 2021), happyuk (29th April 2021), Harmony (2nd May 2021), Ron Mauer Sr (30th April 2021), Rosco1 (29th April 2021)

19. Link to Post #110
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 17,333 times in 2,075 posts

If you are confident the hay has not been exposed to a herbicide it can work very well with a little potting soil.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd May 2021), EarthGirl (30th April 2021), EFO (2nd May 2021), Harmony (2nd May 2021)

21. Link to Post #111
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Trisher (here)

Dear Trisher,we are using zeolite for our health for some years now and I "discovered" a Romanian company which exploit zeolite ore for different purposes and if zeolite is good for health,I thought why shouldn't be also good for Earth/soil and plants.We already plated half of our tomatoes plants (about 350) and only 4 have some "problems,compared with previous years when about half of total plants have to be replaced because they died.So,for me is a more than a huge progress,not only because we have less work to do by replacing,but also the plants continue to live,which is more important than our work.

Here is what the company said about the product I bought it from them:
    https://translate.google.com/transla...m/zeco-ground/

I will update.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (2nd May 2021), EarthGirl (2nd May 2021), Harmony (2nd May 2021), Trisher (2nd May 2021)

23. Link to Post #112
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,022 times in 699 posts

Karen, I look forward to hear how your hay bale planting goes.

I would also like to try the double potting method next season in the green house Earthgirl as it is a cooler planting district here, and sometimes the seasons can be short.

Anka and EFO glad to hear your tomatos are doing so well and I will keep an eye for your updates.

I have Humic acid in a natural liquid fertiliser, I hope your humic acid in the poly tunnel work out well Trisher.

Also I will look forward to your pictures DeDukshyn🍃🍀

I've been gathering seeds and making grape jelly and preserving apples this week.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (2nd May 2021), EarthGirl (2nd May 2021), EFO (2nd May 2021), Trisher (2nd May 2021)

25. Link to Post #113
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Hi EFO for example I have attached a photo so that you can see what I mean.

This is an old picture and just for illustration.

Both pots are filled with soil, and make it as rich as you can. This year mine will have well rotted cow manure as well as whatever you want to add to the pot to feed the plant.

Melons are greedy feeders and as I use pots I don't expect more than 1 or 2 melons per plant.

Each plant will need as a minimum at least 10 lit of compost. If you can give them more great.

The first flowers that will appear are the males flowers and once the plant feels happy the female (melon bearing) flowers will appear. If nature doesn't help you then wait for at least 2 female flowers to appear and then use a male flower to hand pollinate both of them.

For some reason when confined to pots if only one female flower has appeared and is pollinated then the plant will put all it's energy into the one fruit. It took ages for me to pollinate a second fruit.

Once the melon has set, you will see if it takes within a week.

Once the fruit starts to grow I feed them every other day, as I said they are greedy feeders.

And they love heat, put them in the hottest place in your polytunnel/greenhouse.

I hope this makes sense?

Attachment 46636

As for zeolite I have never heard of it, I shall have to look it up.

Dear EarthGirl,

As a side note,we started plating tomatoes and this year for the first time we used zeolite.After plating them we watering them with a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide already used before with very good results among other things
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you EarthGirl for your more than crystal clear explanation and your time.You're a TREASURE!All your infos are diamonds!

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Antagenet (2nd May 2021), Bill Ryan (2nd May 2021), EarthGirl (2nd May 2021), Harmony (2nd May 2021), Trisher (2nd May 2021)

27. Link to Post #114
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Just an update about my Luffas...after one month after planting.We added different quantities of zeolite up to none.The soil is the same in all pots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LUFFAS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	46649

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

29. Link to Post #115
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,762 times in 265 posts

Yesterday we bought 2 adorable little fig trees about a foot and a half high (with little figs on them already) from a farmers son who walks the neighborhoods selling plants out of a wheelbarrow. He also had cintronella plants for mosquito prevention, so we bought 2 of those. I have never liked citronella essential oil but these plants smell a lot better! :-)
    It's great hearing about and seeing all your plants!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd May 2021), EarthGirl (2nd May 2021), EFO (2nd May 2021), Harmony (2nd May 2021), Nenuphar (6th May 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6