+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 7 9 LastLast

Thread: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

1. Link to Post #121
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,639 times in 2,597 posts

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

I have been meaning to post here for quite some time. The garden during this past growing season has certainly kept me busy. The increasing unpredictability of the climate has been really important to observe and being flexible in planting and harvesting times has been more important than ever to prevent crop failures.

Having the greenhouse, now the 2nd season I have experimented, was really great and the raspberry harvest from the summer fruiting variety and now the autumn varieties has been very successful with enough for eating and freezing for later use. I was able to extend the growing period for zucchinis, tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce and some other salad vegetables.

Watching the cycle of the seasons in the garden plants, fruit trees, and vegetables, from planting the seeds and nurturing them to harvest and preserving produce and seed saving is quite a satisfying process.

It may be more important also to prepare a compost heap to provide extra nutrients for your garden, especially if fertilisers and other garden supplies become more difficult to acquire over the coming months.

With a few unexpected life issues to deal with, I wasn’t able to get all the photos I would have liked, but I will share what I can here.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fruit2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	816.8 KB
ID:	48639

Name:	bottling.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	48640

Name:	vegetables.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	825.3 KB
ID:	48641

Autumn weather is becoming apparent with the shortening days here in the Southern Hemisphere, and soon it will be time for all the Northern Hemisphere gardeners to prepare for growing as much food as possible just in case of food shortages, and the benefit of healthy food that is delicious as well.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Ankle Biter (6th April 2022), Antagenet (12th June 2022), Bill Ryan (21st March 2022), Brigantia (4th April 2022), Eva2 (11th March 2023), Ewan (22nd March 2022), Heart to heart (21st March 2022), Hym (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), lisalu (21st March 2022), Nenuphar (8th April 2022), Ol' Roy (2nd June 2022), Peace in Oz (22nd March 2022), Reinhard (2nd August 2022), Strat (21st March 2022), Trisher (21st March 2022)

3. Link to Post #122
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,789 times in 1,323 posts

It's early spring here and I've got seed trays all over the place; onions, plum and cherry tomatoes, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, various herbs, carrots, cape gooseberries - that's what I remember off the top of my head.

I also planted some seeds from some lovely apples and lemons that I had recently and I have 3 tiny lemon and 2 tiny apple trees coming up already, though that's a long term project for them to come to maturity. There's a big reorganisation of our garden underway to give me more room for my kitchen garden, plus the shed needs replacing. It's a wonder that it didn't collapse in the winter storms we had.

I'll be getting some peas and French beans going and I love this idea of a willow support - I found out that there's a willow supplier just a few miles away! It looks like a great craft project to do in an afternoon.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Ankle Biter (6th April 2022), Antagenet (12th June 2022), Bill Ryan (4th April 2022), Bo Atkinson (4th April 2022), Eva2 (11th March 2023), Ewan (4th April 2022), Harmony (5th April 2022), jaybee (4th March 2023), lisalu (4th April 2022), Nenuphar (8th April 2022), norman (4th April 2022), Peace in Oz (5th April 2022), Reinhard (2nd August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th June 2022)

5. Link to Post #123
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,478 times in 2,544 posts

I'm not a garden-planting whiz by any means, but I've been having fun learning and growing my small crops each year. Over the past few years, I've whittled it down to mostly planting the things I've found to be both easy, and successful.

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	49030

I was really pleased with the garlic I harvested recently. So very easy to grow!
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Ankle Biter (12th June 2022), Antagenet (12th June 2022), Bill Ryan (1st June 2022), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Eva2 (11th March 2023), Ewan (2nd June 2022), Harmony (2nd June 2022), Hym (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), Nenuphar (1st July 2022), Ol' Roy (2nd June 2022), Peace in Oz (2nd June 2022)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 times in 336 posts

Quote Posted by Antagenet (here)
    Combine global depression + mini ace age cooler temperatures and difficult worldwide growing conditions... now planting a garden is my number one goal. I want to be as food sufficient as possible. Are you stepping up your food production?

What did you plant today?

Today I planted...
    More basil and dill.
    yard long beans, moringa, spinach, okra
    and transplanted purslane and a passionfruit vine.

Feel free to add photos of your plants,
    online seed companies that are selling seeds,
    and also gardening instructional videos!
    OK Here are my updated favorite food production plants we are growing.
    Passionfruit vine is my top favorite. Hardy, great flavor fruits, easy to grow, leaves are medicinal too.
    Second favorite - cherry tomatoes. I've grown to really love the flavor of the smallest ones and they are so prolific.
    Surinam Cherry Tree - Beautiful, dependably productive, Delicious. Best for Tropical climate
    Citrus Trees. This was the biggest gardening thrill ever, to grow my first lemon!!! amazing.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Ankle Biter (12th June 2022), Bill Ryan (12th June 2022), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (12th June 2022), Harmony (12th June 2022), jaybee (4th March 2023), Mari (4th March 2023), Nenuphar (1st July 2022), Peace in Oz (13th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (12th June 2022)

9. Link to Post #125
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,557 times in 32,726 posts

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Antagenet (6th August 2022), avid (2nd August 2022), Bo Atkinson (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Eva2 (11th March 2023), Ewan (4th March 2023), Harmony (2nd August 2022), jaybee (4th March 2023), kudzy (2nd August 2022), Mari (4th March 2023), palehorse (2nd April 2023), Peace in Oz (3rd August 2022), Reinhard (2nd August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (5th March 2023), Yoda (2nd August 2022)

11. Link to Post #126
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Bump/What are you guys growing? How're the garden's lookin? I've got some flowers, herbs and 3 banana trees that are on the mend from a freeze.

Gardening is just a fun hobby for me and I don't have the space for serious gardening. But it's nice to see you guys garden, it's inspirational.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (4th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (5th March 2023)

13. Link to Post #127
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We've got one more cold snap next week but then (hopefully) it will start to warm up. Yesterday I started off cherry and plum tomato seeds and over the next few days I'm going to start to sow the seeds of carrots, beans, peas and some flowers.

I managed a day trip to France last year and whilst there I bought a HUGE bulb of garlic, so the bulbs of that were planted in November - they need at least 10 days of frost to split the bulb - and they are coming up nicely. The experts say never to plant shop-bought garlic, but whenever I've managed to get some in France it does really well.

In post no. 122 above I posted a vid on a pea and bean obelisk support made from willow, the cost of willow was extortionate but I got some willow for free! So that's a project to get on with soon. I got the free willow from the horticulture course that I'm doing, we were coppicing willow in December and the tutor said that we could take what we wanted. I'll post a pic once it's done.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Bo Atkinson (4th March 2023), Ewan (4th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), Mari (4th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (5th March 2023)

15. Link to Post #128
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,937 times in 2,204 posts

Quote Posted by Brigantia (here)
    We've got one more cold snap next week but then (hopefully) it will start to warm up. .

I garden in pots - because the person who lived here before me slabbed over the small back garden...which actually has made life easier because it raises everything up so you don't have to bend down so much - and slugs are easier to control - a small sprinkle of salt around the pot puts them off -

re the weather I'm keeping some bubble wrap over the seeds I've already planted for now... marigold (to dry the flowers)... perpetual spinach... and parsley (so far...) coriander next - the two pots of chives are already coming up again - the large container of watercress that I've established is on the brink of spring growth and flowering ~

the wormwood that came back up on it's own last year looks like it will be doing that again... there are two slab sized spaces of soil where the lemon balm and mint will be up again soon...

I love to use my own seeds from the year (or two) before... I also like to let a patch of nettles grow and a few dandelions... then there's the nasturtiums that will seed themselves in pots and pop up where they want - some sweet peas will go in soon purely for their scent and beauty...

this is a partial story of my little back garden... when I write it down I realise what a lot is going on

then there's the large (ish) pots with a blackcurrant and redcurrant in - and the apple tree that I've had in a big pot for about 7 years... you won't have heard of this kind of apple tree (probably not anyway...) it's called a Doddin Apple Tree and is more or less only found around Redditch, Worcestershire... my friend remembers as a child knowing where every Doddin tree in the area was and it is said that children use to take a bag of them to eat in the cinema.... and loved them in war time when there weren't any sweets - my little Doddin Apple tree did very well last year but the year before just had two flowers and struggled to grow two little apples... that seems to be what happens lots one year and just a few the next - someone said if I regulated the number of flowers allowed to produce apples it would be a constant average amount but I let it do it's own thing....

the Doddin is an unusual, old fashioned, elongated little apple that can be seen and magnified on this link for any one who's interested...

https://walcotnursery.co.uk/product/doddin/

more news from a little back garden another time...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), Mari (4th March 2023)

17. Link to Post #129
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by jaybee (here)
    I garden in pots - because the person who lived here before me slabbed over the small back garden...which actually has made life easier because it raises everything up so you don't have to bend down so much - and slugs are easier to control - a small sprinkle of salt around the pot puts them off:
    At one home I had a back garden that was all patio - I grew loads of food in pots and like you say, no slug problem! Thanks for letting us know about doddin apples, they sound interesting and apparently they're very sweet. I have an apple tree that's badly cankered but still yielding a crop, but at some point it will need to be replaced. I might look into a doddin...

I sometimes watch Jag Singh on YT, he experimented with growing potatoes in containers and he reckons that a cardboard box gave the best yield.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), Mari (4th March 2023)

19. Link to Post #130
    Thanks

I garden in pots - because the person who lived here before me slabbed over the small back garden...which actually has made life easier because it raises everything up so you don't have to bend down so much - and slugs are easier to control - a small sprinkle of salt around the pot puts them off:
    At one home I had a back garden that was all patio - I grew loads of food in pots and like you say, no slug problem! Thanks for letting us know about doddin apples, they sound interesting and apparently they're very sweet. I have an apple tree that's badly cankered but still yielding a crop, but at some point it will need to be replaced. I might look into a doddin...

I sometimes watch Jag Singh on YT, he experimented with growing potatoes in containers and he reckons that a cardboard box gave the best yield.

{video snipped - see above...}
    I think you just read my mind because I nearly said something about growing potatoes but held back because the post was getting long...

will watch the video with interest in a bit... what I was going to say was that I was thinking of growing potatoes in straw in a dustbin (maybe cut in half - the dustbin that is..)... I've grown them in pots before but they went a bit crazy with the green growth above - with limited numbers of potatoes below - I'm thinking of getting a bale of straw and seeing how it goes... I've seen that you can do it and it's easier than using soil + compost (maybe perhaps...).... if you wrapped the bale of straw in black plastic with holes made in it you could probably just do it like that...? anyway will take a look at the video... cheers....

By the way I'm impressed at your dedication to growing garlic - going to France to get it.... lol...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023)

21. Link to Post #131
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,169 times in 657 posts

We've got one more cold snap next week but then (hopefully) it will start to warm up. Yesterday I started off cherry and plum tomato seeds and over the next few days I'm going to start to sow the seeds of carrots, beans, peas and some flowers.

I managed a day trip to France last year and whilst there I bought a HUGE bulb of garlic, so the bulbs of that were planted in November - they need at least 10 days of frost to split the bulb - and they are coming up nicely. The experts say never to plant shop-bought garlic, but whenever I've managed to get some in France it does really well.

In post no. 122 above I posted a vid on a pea and bean obelisk support made from willow, the cost of willow was extortionate but I got some willow for free! So that's a project to get on with soon. I got the free willow from the horticulture course that I'm doing, we were coppicing willow in December and the tutor said that we could take what we wanted. I'll post a pic once it's done.

Hi Brigantia, the 12ft crack willow that I have in my garden is the result of a pruned branch (just that, no roots) that I plonked in the ground about 8 years ago to 'see' what would happen. It took' very quickly. We have to prune it every year as it's a fast grower, but we use use the branches for screening and making various things. Perpetual willow for free Try it.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023)

23. Link to Post #132
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mari (here)
    Hi Brigantia, the 12ft crack willow that I have in my garden is the result of a pruned branch (just that, no roots) that I plonked in the ground about 8 years ago to 'see' what would happen. It took' very quickly. We have to prune it every year as it's a fast grower, but we use use the branches for screening and making various things. Perpetual willow for free Try it.
    That's interesting - it's often good to see what comes from plonking things in the ground! The only problem is that I have a long and very narrow garden so it's not very good for large trees. We do have a 'river' running through our village - it's just a stream with delusions of grandeur - that has a lot of willow growing on its banks, so there's plenty for me to plunder there for projects. I've not done that yet but I'll remember what you've said, so thanks for that. At college they're creating a 'dead hedge' of cut bits of trees and shrubs, it's looking really good. You just need some upright stakes in the ground to hold it all in place.

what I was going to say was that I was thinking of growing potatoes in straw in a dustbin (maybe cut in half - the dustbin that is..)... I've grown them in pots before but they went a bit crazy with the green growth above - with limited numbers of potatoes below - I'm thinking of getting a bale of straw and seeing how it goes... I've seen that you can do it and it's easier than using soil + compost (maybe perhaps...).... if you wrapped the bale of straw in black plastic with holes made in it you could probably just do it like that...?
    That's interesting about growing them in straw, I'll look into that. Last year I used 2 tubs that are about two and a half feet diameter but it took a lot of soil to fill them. I got the tubs from my farming neighbour, they contained mineral feed for calves and they're just rubbish once empty as far as they're concerned, so they were happy for me to have a couple. I just drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.

So, if you know any farmers and need big containers...
    Last edited by Brigantia; 4th March 2023 at 21:06. Reason: Typo

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), Mari (4th March 2023), Strat (6th March 2023)

25. Link to Post #133
    Thanks

That's interesting about growing them in straw, I'll look into that. Last year I used 2 tubs that are about two and a half feet diameter but it took a lot of soil to fill them. I got the tubs from my farming neighbour, they contained mineral feed for calves and they're just rubbish once empty as far as they're concerned, so they were happy for me to have a couple. I just drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.

So, if you know any farmers and need big containers...
    watched the vid you posted - it was good and it made me smile when he was so pleased to see the potatoes... going woah woah wooooooah... look at those potatoes -

ok... a plan is now forming - after seeing your video + watching the one below just now... I'm going to get a big cardboard box from a shop that sells fridges and cookers - lay it on it's side - fill with straw but add some soil and chicken manure pellets - - - and see how it goes - - -

(6 mins)

Quote WARNING! Straw is an awesome resource for gardening, landscaping and lawns...however, it can be potentially detrimental to the soil balance of nitrogen.
    ~
    I'm trying to save you the heartache that I've experienced in the past because I didn't understand this simple yet potentially detrimental bit of information.
    ~
    I hope you don't have to learn the hard way like I did.
    ~
    Blessings, friends!
    ~
    Benj aka Gardenguy

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), happyuk (4th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), Mari (5th March 2023), Strat (6th March 2023)

27. Link to Post #134
    Estonia Avalon Member
    Language
    Estonian
    Thanks

I got some book suggestions for growers that i have found rather useful for getting better insight into plants and nature etc

How plants are trained to work for man by Luther Burbank (1914).
    https://archive.org/details/howplant...ge/n9/mode/2up

Burbank created hundreds of new varieties of fruits (plum, pear, prune, peach, blackberry, raspberry); potato, tomato; ornamental flowers and other plants. He introduced over 800 new plants, including flowers, grains, grasses, vegetables, cacti, and fruits.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Burbank

Living water by Olof Alexandersson (1982)
    https://educate-yourself.org/cn/Livi...n-155pages.pdf
    This one is more about Viktor Schauberger and his discoveries . Alot of good knowledge about water,soil and other things .

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaak For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2023), Brigantia (4th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), jaybee (4th March 2023), Mari (5th March 2023), Miller (4th March 2023)

29. Link to Post #135
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,478 times in 2,544 posts

I planted my cold-weather plants and now have spinach, radishes, my garlic, and swiss chard coming up nicely.
    I've learned that these all do well for me if I plant the seeds in Feb. I also planted some lettuce and beets which haven't appeared yet.

My parsley is growing from last season (never totally died out), and the oregano always reappears. It spreads like wildfire.

I just love going out and picking our dinner salad, fresh, in the spring!
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th March 2023), Brigantia (5th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), Hym (5th March 2023), jaybee (5th March 2023), Mari (5th March 2023)

31. Link to Post #136
    Thanks

I've not had much success with radishes in my pots in the past - although the ones that did develop well were very tasty and nice to pick, rub off the soil and eat straight away, there and then ... but the flower is pretty so I let some grow for the flowers - just recently I've tried sprouting radish seeds (got them from ebay)... and this is a great success - they have the taste and heat of a radish bulb - the goodness is concentrated and they're ready in a few days...

https://blog.backtotheroots.com/2018...igestive%20aid.

Quote Nutrition

Radish sprouts list of nutrients reads like the info panel on a bottle of multivitamins. These are some seriously powerful little greens. Not only do they contain vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, they also deliver calcium iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. But that’s not all. Radish sprouts are rich in essential amino acids and chlorophyll which has all sorts of benefits from cancer-fighting properties to digestive aid. These babies also contain a whole lot of fiber and roughage which we all know is important to help keep things running smooth.

Growing

Not only are radish sprouts full of nutrition, they’re also quite beautiful. Often they are lined with pinkish streaks the color of their older selves. And boy do they grow fast. In a matter of days, radish sprouts are ready to be harvested.
    radish

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th March 2023), Brigantia (5th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (5th March 2023), Jaak (5th March 2023), Mari (5th March 2023), Miller (5th March 2023), Strat (6th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (5th March 2023)

33. Link to Post #137
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,592 times in 672 posts

Here's a list of links to the Cooperative Extensions for each of the US States and Territories from the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (scroll down below the map):

https://www.nifa.usda.gov/land-grant...ilter&sort=asc

You can find all sorts of information through these links from very small scale gardening to large scale farms. Each state has county level information as well which can be found through each of the state links.

Right now, I have some things started inside around mid February, actually too early for here, because I'm testing some things.

parsley, peas, 2 kinds of kale, mustard, red cabbage, red onions, spinach

about 25 other things to follow soon.
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th March 2023), Brigantia (5th March 2023), Ewan (5th March 2023), Harmony (6th March 2023), Peace in Oz (6th March 2023), Strat (6th March 2023), Sue (Ayt) (5th March 2023)

35. Link to Post #138
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,750 times in 2,555 posts

'Electroculture, Good vibes for Agriculture'

https://www.electrocultureandmagneto...BN4ZR4s83M6558

'My site on electroculture that is most up to date in 2022 is the french version you find on https://www.electroculturevandoorne.com Use google translate or the translate button on the site. You can shop on this site too, with many more products.
    Electroculture, Natural energetic forces to increase fertility of the land
    Earth and Cosmic energies
    Electricity & Magnetism
    Agricultural applications for soil fertility, healthy crops and increase yields.

This english electroculture website is not so up to date as my french website. You can visite my french website and easely translate by pushing the translation button on the pages. You will also find lots more products on the pages and I send all over the world;
    You will find also a lot more up to date information on my original french website : http://www.electroculturevandoorne.com/

Electroculture is a group of techniques that uses electricity and magnetism to assist plant growth. Plants are sensitive to electricity and magnetism. Improved plant growth, quality and increased yields, are some of the noticeable effects. The technology can also be used to protect plants from pests and diseases.

Electroculture synonymous with magnetoculture are generic terms used to describe an assortment of techniques designed to amplify and focus magnetic and natural electric forces of nature to boost soil fertility, and plant growth. In Nature magnetic and electrical forces always manifest conjointly. Magnetoculture refers more specifically to magnetic influences and electroculture to electric influences on plant growth and soil fertility.
    Electroculture and magnetoculture are based on a synthesis of recent discoveries in the field of Agriculture encompassing cosmic and telluric energies, electricity and magnetism.'

This article is quite long with pictures and videos so easier to read from the link. I thought it was interesting

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2023), Brigantia (11th March 2023), Ewan (12th March 2023), Harmony (12th March 2023), jaybee (11th March 2023)

37. Link to Post #139
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Freebie plants! I might start my own vineyard...

At college there were vines growing in the horticulture area in a place that is being handed over to another department, so the vines will be ripped up. So, I nabbed a bit of vine. I cut it into 3 just below a node, plonked them in a pot and they're doing nicely. One is budding well and has tiny grape bunches on it, another has a bud coming along, the other doesn't seem to be doing much at all but the buds might come out into leaf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B74BA9-223E-4B21-BC19-8A00127E5945_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	50670  

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd April 2023), Harmony (2nd April 2023)

39. Link to Post #140
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A seedling tip... I love watching the gardening tip vids on YT that are posted by eastern Europeans, they know the old ways and are really knowledgeable. A Polish lady once told me that it's common for families to have an apartment in town, and an allotment of about 2 acres a mile or so away.

One tip from eastern Europe I came across is a free way to boost seedlings - to put chopped banana skins in a container with water, leave them for 4 days in a warm place, strain it and then use it to water seedlings. Gardeners will know the N P K ratio, K is potassium and is highly beneficial for root growth. Bananas are high in potassium so that is what will turbo-charge this concoction.

Here are 2 jars on the go; one is on day 3, the other on day 1 and I'll be applying those to my tomato and bell pepper seedlings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAD78527-A467-4F3E-A03C-CE87C4E7098D_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	50671  

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd April 2023), gord (20th April 2023), Harmony (2nd April 2023), palehorse (2nd April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (2nd April 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 7 9 LastLast