+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast

Thread: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

Quote Posted by Anka (here)
    Thanks for the question and while I was reading I found a seemingly irrelevant quote maybe, but which for me is related to what should define us in a new paradigm
    ‘We were all humans until
    race disconnected us,
    religion separated us,
    politics divided us and
    wealth classified us. ’
    However, it is a kind of pure innocence in what defines us as human beings, as well as the seeds that have the authentic capacity to create, to overcome, to endure the transformation that is greater than suffering.

I often look at the night sky, the seeds are like the stars, when they explode in the so-called "death", they turn into a whole story of creation and life in a form like never before.
    It's about what completes their new plant life:
    To feel the dew of the morning, to give the fruit of life, to laugh in the way of obstacles and in the happiness of the earth, to be lost in the magnitude of the moon and to find themselves in the radiance of the sun, to dance in the impenetrable spirit of their childhood,
    to grow in dense judgment of inner and outer resilience, and because I am still talking about plants, to win the miracle of the simple act of being a plant, as the ethics of the genome guide it in the interdependent connection between Mother Nature, the richness of the earth and light, for the simple pleasure to become in the wisest way, so much here, a plant.

Gardening is amazing in every way.
    One could think of the seeds we plant as plants becoming, and we help them to become.

The recipe for the soft drink is (I don't have the same recipe because I improvise quite a lot, for example I add mint from the garden that grows alone under an old walnut)
    but mostly I use for a large and old 8 liter glass jar,
    10 huge flowers, a sliced ​​lemon, a kilo of sugar or honey to your taste, lemon salt (8-10 grams), a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (for fermentation) or some use a pinch of fresh yeast , and add a tablespoon of vitamin C powder or sometimes a vanilla stick or jasmine flowers or lilac or acacia flowers.
    Over all the ingredients add plain water and place the jar in sunlight, covered with something non-metallic.
    Mix three times a day in the jar with a wooden spoon and taste, if it has a little yeast and has a charming sweet and aromatic taste (on average after 3 days when after mixing, the flowers are placed at the base of the jar) then the lemonade is ready to place in lemonade carafes in the refrigerator.

Cold lemonade goes very well with a sweet cheese cake, a pleasant summer breeze and especially a happy conversation with someone close.

The lemonade stays in the fridge for a maximum of one week because it continues its fermentation, but if it is too much quantity, it can be shared with the neighbors.

This year I will harvest, before the end of the season (wilting of the flowers) to freeze some flowers to see if in winter without sunlight (in the house) I can make lemonade.
    Some people also use fruits for jam, but I still don't know how to choose the right ones.
    I also made syrup 4 years ago (it helped a lot in the winter to cure cough)
    For visitors, elderberries flowers are good at:
    Hypertension, high cholesterol, ischemic heart disease, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, atherosclerosis, allergic asthma, chronic bronchitis, fermentation colitis, constipation, adjuvant against intestinal worms, colds and flu, detoxifying the body, magnesium deficiency, or to help the immune system.
    Thanks for the recipe. I will have to visit the wild elderberry bushes soon and see whether they are in bloom yet. I have never used the flowers for anything, though I know many people do.

Quote The fact that I live in the blessing of a garden is also fantastically related to the fact that I worked long enough as a chef to be able to choose the menu for the current day, so sometimes there are days when I cook more than gardening, and often to the question "What are we cooking today? " I get inspired by a walk in the garden.
    Every year I learn something new, although I have been practicing gardening for many years, and there were years when I learned from mistakes, every time I propose something new for next year, the plan changes depending on many factors (the planting place, seed variety, light conditions) so every time I have to plant, I have to take into account more ideas than the act itself, so yes it really is a school.
    I think one could garden all their life and still be learning.

Quote Celery seeds come out well in a bowl with a mixture of greasy soil and sand, just placed on the ground above and lightly mixed with the soil (they do not need to be covered with soil on top because they are too small and have no power to rise), In light humidity, at a temperature of at least 15 degrees Celsius should come out in less than a week, and the plants left for next spring, give abundant seed for future crops.
    My soil here is rich but very solid and calcareous and I can't grow celery for the root, but I use celery for the leaves with hot peppers put in jars with vinegar, or tomato broth with celery.
    Your soil there is fluffy and I think it will grow well there especially since you can grow asparagus (I tried here, but I can't)
    I'll put a picture of my jar of lemonade tomorrow morning and thanks NewParadigmGuy, again for the question and encouragement ...
    I hope I managed to say everything in English somewhat correctly, and if not, I accept any correction and I am ready to learn and adapt.
    Thanks for the celery growing ideas.

I don't think I would call my soil "fluffy", but it is sandy and Asparagus does well. And there are millions and millions of rocks everywhere. There are stone walls all around the property here, from people farming hundreds of years ago. But whenever I dig I keep finding more!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-030F.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	43640
    We are humans becoming, help us to become!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NewParadigmGuy For This Post:

Anka (17th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (24th May 2020), EFO (17th May 2020), happyuk (6th June 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (27th May 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sadieblue (7th August 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Welcome to my garden

I harvested all the spinach planted in the spring and prepared it for freezing, but it can also be preserved in jars.
    It can also be consumed as much as possible when the season is full for a considerable intake of vitamins in the body.
    The salad can be eaten with sesame, pumpkin or sunflower seeds with a boiled egg or any cheese you want.
    Spinach cooked with chicken breast and sour cream is tasty.

I had to pick the spinach because it has reached maturity, and in its place left empty in the garden I have already planted garlic again, because I need a lot of garlic in winter when we have to make homemade sausages.

In two weeks I will harvest the first floor from the peas and in a maximum of one week I will harvest the peas, and in their place I will immediately plant cucumbers again which will bear fruit in late autumn, to put them in jars.
    Peas go well in the freezer or jars, simply with salt or tomato juice.

This year I planted several pumpkins in order to get the seeds out of them and the pumpkins I give them to a neighbor for chickens, but they are also good fertilizer for the soil.
    From oil seeds (at least 5 kg of seeds are needed) for oil making, to a very old 106-year-old oil press nearby, which still works. The oil is very beneficial to health and you can use it in any food.

There are also home electric presses for processing your own oil in the house, you just have to buy the seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)
    Pumpkins ripen in late fall and need a lot of water to grow, at the moment they are just plants, and their flowers are extraordinarily beautiful.

The potatoes have grown, I still haven't sprayed them against Colorado beetles, I don't want to because I go twice a day to pick them from the plants (about 20 beetles) I take them away from the garden but they come back and lay eggs , and in the end, if it can't be otherwise, I will have to stop them, otherwise they will eat my whole culture.
    But, if the potatoes are well fertilized in the soil and grow quickly, then the beetles do not like the ripe potato leaf, because it is hard, it also depends on the climatic conditions, if it rains they do not multiply.
    I work the potatoes with the tractor because it is easier, all I do is plant them in rows and in autumn the tractor brings them out of the ground to the surface and I have to collect and sort them, the small ones for sowing next year, the big ones for consumption (the red ones and whites depending on what I want to cook- the whites are fluffy and go well for mashed potatoes)

Good luck with gardening and good health to everyone!

And all this to be just human.

4. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Alekahn2 (24th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Antagenet (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (24th May 2020), Deux Corbeaux (24th May 2020), EFO (25th May 2020), Ernie Nemeth (24th May 2020), happyuk (30th May 2020), Harmony (28th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (27th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (24th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sadieblue (7th August 2020), Sarah Rainsong (24th May 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (29th May 2020)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

Welcome to my garden
    Thank you for sharing. Your garden is wonderful!

Quote Spinach cooked with chicken breast and sour cream is tasty.
    That sounds delicious, and my spinach crop is looking good so far. How exactly do you make it?

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NewParadigmGuy For This Post:

Anka (24th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (24th May 2020), EFO (25th May 2020), Harmony (28th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Thanks dear neighbor NewParadigmGuy !
    Spinach is one of the best combinations with other cooked foods - tasty, healthy and you will surely delight your family with it, the best serving is of course with rice, but you can also eat it as such, or with potatoes / pasta / boiled wheat or polenta- (only if you add salted and fatty cheese)

Recipe for 2 servings

Chicken breast 600 g or boneless chicken leg
    Fresh spinach 300 g
    White onion 1 piece or green 2 pieces
    Garlic 6 small pieces or 2 pieces green garlic with leaves
    Red hot peppers1 pcs (optional), fresh or dried
    Grated ginger (optional)
    100 ml of milk
    Sweet cream for cooking (as fat and natural as possible)
    3 tablespoons
    1 tablespoon butter
    Tumeric, cumin, (optional) but fresh dill and black pepper required.
    Two yolks and 1 teaspoon salt, but mostly to everyone's taste.
    preparation:
    A pan more than 5-7 cm high, because the milk rises during boiling.
    Prepare all the ingredients in advance:
    - Cut the onion into cubes, grind the garlic, grind the ginger into small pieces, cut the pepper into pieces.

Chicken cut into small pieces (3-4 cm squares)
    In a slightly higher pan, heat the butter well over low heat, add the onion and after a minute the garlic - continue to cook for a maximum of 1 minute so that the garlic does not overheat too much, so that the garlic gas remains in the butter.
    Then add the chicken, stir periodically and cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the peppers, ginger, turmeric, cumin to the chicken - mix and leave for 2 minutes.
    Add the milk, and the fresh spinach, chopped as large as you want, add salt and a little water (about 100g), let it boil for a maximum of 10 minutes with a lid (stir more in the meantime), but depending on how hard the fire goes, more for a short time, so that it remains as a kind of spinach sauce, not too dry and not too watery.
    At the end after extinguishing the fire, add chopped dill and ground black pepper and the two yolks and mix, then add sour cream and mix.
    Separately fry 4 eggs and sausages or ham and drain well of oil and place over the spinach dish served with a garnish of plain rice boiled with salt and butter in it.
    The garnish can be rice (a cup of rice and the same cup three times water) or spaghetti (400 gr thrown in the pot with high walls with boiling water with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of oil for 8 minutes) or polenta (1 corn flour to 4 water) made during the cooking of spinach.

I didn't find any picture that looks exactly right, so if we were neighbors, I would be happy to cook your recipe for you, so you can see how it's done
    Until then, I wish you good health, joy in gardening, and good appetite!
    Oh, I forgot to tell you that although you have something to work with the stones there, I still think that the stones have a strong energy there, close to the forest.
    I have small marble stones (it was a marble quarry here in processing in my area, years ago) and I have a lot of pebbles in the plowed land( and many ceramic objects), but I put them at the root of the tomatoes when I plant them along with my intention and energy of marble, all for a positive purpose for the short life of the plant!

I like the forest there, it seems to offer a special and rare protection.
    I also went to the forest the other day to pick acacia flowers and I found some beehives and the seller of honey in the area, honey costs about $ 5 kg and is natural.
    The forest is the love of life, poetry and legend in every leaf in every tree root, the forest is a monument of Nature, the symbol of secular love of unity, the inspiration of every soul, something that someday, we will all learn in the unity of our spirit, the true value of human nature.

Anca

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Antagenet (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (24th May 2020), EFO (25th May 2020), happyuk (6th June 2020), Harmony (25th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Lilybee8 (27th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (24th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (24th May 2020)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

if we were neighbors, I would be happy to cook your recipe for you, so you can see how it's done
    You are so nice! But I think you are pretty far away... If your language is Romanian, I guess that means you live in Romania? Your climate sure seems warmer than it is here - my spinach is nowhere near mature. But it is doing well and I will post a picture of it soon. In the meantime, your recipe looks most interesting and I will try it once the spinach is ready.

Quote Until then, I wish you good health, joy in gardening, and good appetite!
    And I wish the same for you!

Quote Oh, I forgot to tell you that although you have something to work with the stones there, I still think that the stones have a strong energy there, close to the forest. I have small marble stones (it was a marble quarry here in processing in my area, years ago) and I have a lot of pebbles in the plowed land( and many ceramic objects), but I put them at the root of the tomatoes when I plant them along with my intention and energy of marble, all for a positive purpose for the short life of the plant!
    Oh, I love my rocks, too. It's just part of being a New England gardener to complain about them!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NewParadigmGuy For This Post:

Anka (27th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2020), EFO (27th May 2020), Harmony (27th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Today I planted 6 rows of black beans, a row of yellow string beans, and a row of green string beans. Yesterday I transplanted 43 tomato plants.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to NewParadigmGuy For This Post:

Anka (27th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2020), EFO (27th May 2020), happyuk (30th May 2020), Harmony (27th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), Nenuphar (27th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member Bo Atkinson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 times in 828 posts

The picture is borrowed from www, and actually shows tiny leaves with bulky stems.

Some things have sprouted here, but nothing that much... Today I harvested a big pail of chickweed plus some over wintered garlic, which energizes me quite well, with a small bit to freeze for the winter. The chickweeds taste a little like spinach, but with stems difficult to separate, so I ate it all! MY wife doesn't like this kind of food, but I steadfastly hone towards a more stoic diet, but less accented than in my youth.

Nutrition level is great, see: https://www.google.com/search?q=chickweed+%2B+nutrition

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bo Atkinson For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2020), EFO (27th May 2020), Harmony (27th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (27th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (27th May 2020), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

Name:	29DAAD36-97AB-4575-81BE-887CBB61B42F.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	43717Click image for larger version

Name:	712885EA-D8A8-488E-9F85-7C1708DF600C.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	43718Click image for larger version

Name:	718B0E47-C3D0-468D-8146-FFBAB0046A01.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	43719Click image for larger version

Name:	40F93DFC-DC3A-48C1-8102-041E36205044.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	519.1 KB
ID:	43720Name:  47A56990-534C-4717-A23A-3375FE033E07.jpeg
Views: 704
Size:  50.5 KBHowdy Avalonians!
    Just wanted to share a little bit of my sprouts, it’s not a joke! So please don’t laugh (ok you can giggle) for someone that had never planted anything and had the horrible thought that my hands were not good for gardening, I am very exited.. I live in the desert, temperatures here will go from 60* to 114* in a blink of an eye.. and my biggest problem is.. no good soil here it’s just sand... so we depend on saving to buy good soil.. but anyway! I did it! It’s , Spinach, cucumber, tomato’s, and watermelon for now.. Next week we are building our raise Beds with recycled pallets, will share pictures when done!

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Lilybee8 For This Post:

Anka (27th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2020), EFO (27th May 2020), happyuk (30th May 2020), Harmony (27th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (27th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (27th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (27th May 2020)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

I transplanted some lettuce, kale, chard, sage, cabbage, and basil this past week, as well as sowing carrot seed. I am still hardening off the tomatoes and peppers. I am looking forward to it being warm enough to plant those in-ground so they can really take off! It has been a cool Spring.
    Last edited by Nenuphar; 27th May 2020 at 14:27. Reason: spelling correction

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Anka (27th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (27th May 2020), EFO (27th May 2020), Harmony (27th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (27th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Quote Posted by wavydome (here)

The picture is borrowed from www, and actually shows tiny leaves with bulky stems.

Some things have sprouted here, but nothing that much... Today I harvested a big pail of chickweed plus some over wintered garlic, which energizes me quite well, with a small bit to freeze for the winter. The chickweeds taste a little like spinach, but with stems difficult to separate, so I ate it all! MY wife doesn't like this kind of food, but I steadfastly hone towards a more stoic diet, but less accented than in my youth.

Nutrition level is great, see: https://www.google.com/search?q=chickweed+%2B+nutrition
    I like to add edible weeds to my salads. Lambs Quarters (rich in minerals and essential amino acids), Sheep Sorrel (a delicious lemony flavor), and Purslane (very rich in Omega 3's) pop up in my garden constantly. I have so much lettuce this year, though, that I may not have so much room in the salads for the weeds.

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to NewParadigmGuy For This Post:

Anka (27th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (28th May 2020), Bo Atkinson (27th May 2020), EFO (27th May 2020), Harmony (28th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), Nenuphar (28th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (27th May 2020)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote You are so nice! But I think you are pretty far away... If your language is Romanian, I guess that means you live in Romania? Your climate sure seems warmer than it is here - my spinach is nowhere near mature. But it is doing well and I will post a picture of it soon. In the meantime, your recipe looks most interesting and I will try it once the spinach is ready.
    I am from Romania, my soul lives in this part of the world with honor towards Mother Nature. Since I was little on vacation with my grandparents, I learned gardening and what a very large farm of animals means (horses, cows, geese, turkeys, ducks, chickens, a few hectares of hay, wheat, sugar beet, potatoes, plums- for brandy
    , and corn) the job ends successfully at 10 p.m.
    But for the most part they were dream vacations, being part of nature and work no longer mattered when the stars and fireflies came out in the evening.
    I am part of the culture of my Dacian ancestors, and for that I feel indebted
    to honor living through Nature through every holy grass in this world, for every drop of rainwater that waters my garden and life-giving springs and I still learn to bring Nature to my soul by planting almost every day something, not necessarily for me but for Nature.

Romania has temperate continental climate characterized with hot summers and heavy storms and cold winters. There is a big difference in temperature and rainfall between the different parts of Romania. In summer the temperature is between 23-35 degrees Celsius (73-95 degrees Fahrenheit), while in winter it's between 0- minus 10 below zero (14-32 degrees Fahrenheit). The autumn and spring are milder and the temperature varies between 18-22°C (64-71°F). The average monthly temperature in July is 22°C (71°C) and -2°C (28°F) in winter months.

From here I come, the castle in Hunedoara, it's not so creepy, I grew up playing there and I know every corner of it
    (From 0:48 there are 12.29 minutes of my spirit and the Nature of the area I come from)

Quote Oh, I love my rocks, too. It's just part of being a New England gardener to complain about them!
    I wish you success in gardening ! I really wish, from here, from far, that you can have the culture you want and I know that it will all be good!

...because innocence lives in people through Nature

I wanted to say about spinach, I planted spinach a second time this year and I will plant it again in October, to have fresh spinach in the fall.
    But, what do I want to say and ask at the same time (in my area, on spinach, when the leaves are young and sweet, some aphids are deposited), aphids that are deposited on the back of the spinach at first white and then when they grow, they are black.
    Aphids (something I soon found out) are carried there on the backs of spinach leaves by intelligent ants. Why?

Because ants like the sweet and nourishing secretions left by aphids I really liked that when I found out, especially since I never destroy ant houses and some have grown like real castles in the garden.

What is even more interesting is that ladybugs eat those aphids, ladybugs being the guardians of several vegetable plants.
    But, my suggestion is to look at the back of the leaves daily and at the first sign that the spinach leaf bends, unfortunately, you will have to spray with a less chemical insecticide, because otherwise the spinach will not grow and dry out.
    Also, when you prepare the insecticide with water, put a little white sugar in the container, it will help the insecticide to stick on the leaves and so you have to spray once.
    Once the spinach leaves grow large, the aphids can no longer feed on the hard fibers of the leaf.
    The same aphids (although there are thousands of species) are deposited on beets in the garden.
    I can't stop the ants from doing this but I also want to have spinach, but for their pleasure, you can leave them a plant to live on (if you want) so that the ants can drink their sweet afternoon juice gracefully

But, maybe, I guess not in every corner of the world this happens ... I don't know.
    I'm just saying as a prevention measure...
    This is the picture of the aphids on my spinach today, I left them long enough to feed ...

I planted the second crop of spinach between the rows of cabbage, because it grows fast, faster than cabbage, and I will harvest it before the cabbage grows big.

100 g of fresh spinach contains about 25% of the daily requirement of iron, thus being designated the richest source of iron among green foods. Iron is an important microelement, required by the body for the production of red blood cells and as a co-factor for the enzyme oxidation-reduction, cytochrome oxidase during cell metabolism.

Spinach leaves are an excellent source of vitamin K. 100 g of fresh greens providing 402% of the daily requirement of vitamin K. Vitamin K plays a vital role in strengthening bone mass by building bones. In addition, it has also been established that it plays an important role in patients with Alzheimer's disease by limiting the neuronal damage produced in the brain.

This green leafy vegetable also contains large amounts of many B-complex vitamins, such as vitamin B6- (pyridoxine), thiamine (vitamin B-1), riboflavin, niacin.

- 100 g of fresh spinach contains 47% of the daily requirement of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight against infectious agents, thus helping to increase immunity.

- Its leaves also contain a significant amount of minerals such as potassium, manganese, magnesium, copper and zinc. Potassium is an important component of the body's fluid, which helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese and copper are used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme. Copper is needed to produce red blood cells. Zinc is a co-factor in many enzymes that regulate the growth and development, digestion and synthesis of nucleic acid.

- It is also a rich source of omega-3 and essential fatty acids.

Regular consumption of spinach can help prevent osteoporosis (bone weakness), iron deficiency in anemia. In addition, it is believed that it can protect the body from cardiovascular disease and colon cancer and prostate cancer.
    Spinach juice is a tastier and more nutritious form of consuming spinach leaves.

22. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (28th May 2020), DaveToo (7th June 2020), EFO (28th May 2020), Gracy (27th May 2020), Harmony (28th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), Nenuphar (28th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (28th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (28th May 2020)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lilybee8 (here)
    Attachment 43717Attachment 43718Attachment 43719Attachment 43720Attachment 43721Howdy Avalonians!
    Just wanted to share a little bit of my sprouts, it’s not a joke! So please don’t laugh (ok you can giggle) for someone that had never planted anything and had the horrible thought that my hands were not good for gardening, I am very exited.. I live in the desert, temperatures here will go from 60* to 114* in a blink of an eye.. and my biggest problem is.. no good soil here it’s just sand... so we depend on saving to buy good soil.. but anyway! I did it! It’s , Spinach, cucumber, tomato’s, and watermelon for now.. Next week we are building our raise Beds with recycled pallets, will share pictures when done!
    Our hands can help our soul, giving life in the most beautiful way, you will acquire eternity, so they say.
    I think that your plants in all the splendor of innocence have found the right nest in your corner of the world and they will thank you for your protection.

I think that cucumbers and tomatoes will grow very well in the sun, well irrigated and with a loose permeable soil to which you can add a little compost and a little mineral fertilizer, even after they grow.
    I wish you the very best of luck!

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (28th May 2020), EFO (28th May 2020), Gracy (27th May 2020), Harmony (28th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), justntime2learn (28th May 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), Nenuphar (28th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (28th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (28th May 2020)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

A personal note. When it comes to gardening, I barely know which end of a carrot is up, but now that Ecuador's international flights are reopening on Monday , my neighbor here may be leaving in a few weeks' time to join his family in France for several months.

He's a GOOD (and ingenious) gardener, and has a huge and complicated project complete with a greenhouse, growing potatoes, sweet potatoes, radishes, kale, cucumber, garlic, onions (and carrots, too ) — all enough to feed far more than just himself. So if he goes away for a while, he's going to train me up and teach me exactly what to do with everything he'll be leaving behind.

There are unlikely to be any food shortages in Ecuador — ever! — but self-sufficiency and a healthy fresh organic diet is always important. So it's early days yet, with many things possible to happen here, but this whole thing may be really very very interesting.

26. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (28th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), DaveToo (7th June 2020), EFO (28th May 2020), Gracy (28th May 2020), happyuk (30th May 2020), Harmony (28th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), justntime2learn (28th May 2020), kudzy (28th May 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), Michi (28th May 2020), Nenuphar (28th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (28th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Reinhard (28th May 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (29th May 2020), Salv8tion (31st May 2020), Samson (28th May 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th May 2020), Sirus (28th May 2020), Yoda (28th May 2020)

27. Link to Post #34
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

I wish you much success!
    It's very nice that you can help and it's very nice that the neighbor can visit his family.

I am convinced that everything will go well, the plants grow on their own with little guidance, but also the plants will feel good intention and will discover your ingenuity and intuition naturally, no matter how vast or complex a project is, the importance and meaning go beyond anything in addition to value and in the resonance of a wonderful emotion.

It really is a beautiful exercise and I wish you a lot of joy!
    Dearfully,
    Anca

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (5th June 2020), DaveToo (7th June 2020), EFO (28th May 2020), Harmony (29th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Lilybee8 (29th May 2020), NewParadigmGuy (29th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (28th May 2020)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

You lucky dog!! then you can teach us more!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

My Dear & sweet Amiga Anca!! Thank you so much for encouraging me on this new adventure if it wasn’t for how much you inspire us here I would probably had not started.. Thank you so much for all the knowledge you share with us.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lilybee8 For This Post:

Anka (29th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (5th June 2020), EFO (29th May 2020), Harmony (29th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), NewParadigmGuy (29th May 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (29th May 2020)

31. Link to Post #36
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

Hi Nanuphar! Have you heard of the app from seeds to spoon it’s marvelous!! I highly recommend it, give you lots and lots of information from health benefits, weather & critter precautions, And you can creat your journal of crops etc.. Love it!

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Lilybee8 For This Post:

Anka (29th May 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (5th June 2020), EFO (29th May 2020), Harmony (29th May 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (10th June 2020), NewParadigmGuy (6th June 2020), palehorse (7th June 2020), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (29th May 2020)

33. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,754 times in 2,614 posts

Hi, I have really enjoyed everyone's posts. It's great to see and hear about your experiences and all the pleasures of getting right in the soil and planting seeds, then watching them grow. It is so inspiring harvesting and preparing your own healthy food.

My family size garden is in the Southern hemisphere so we are now entering our winter season. It is quite cool where I am but not too far from the coast. We do get frosts and mild summers. This is the second year I have been here and fairly new to vegetable growing, but It's wonderful getting lost in the work and loosing track of time.

I am still able to harvest carrots, potatoes and some greens and herbs at the moment. It's time to harvest seeds and dry and pack them for next season.

Here is a picture of my beans, peas and potatoes and the grapes that were hanging in the sun room this past season.

Name:	vegetablegarden2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	43766

Also a picture of how I pack seeds. Some seeds that are wet, like tomatoes or pumpkin that you may want to save from your kitchen vegetables, you can easily put them on a paper napkin and then leave them to completely dry out. Seeds that may have adhered to the napkin can simply be cut, napkin and all, when it is time to plant out. Write on the napkin or bag time of harvest, vegetable name and any other notes you may want to include.

Then slide dried paper and seeds into a sandwich snap lock bag, close and store in an old biscuit tin or other container in a cool place. The tin will prevent mice or vermin from making a tasty snack out of your seeds. If the seeds are already dried, like beans and peas, just put a nice layer of them in the sandwich bag, close and store.

Save more seeds than you think you need in case of odd seasonal conditions and some to give away if you can.

Name:	seeds2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	43767

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Anka (5th June 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (5th June 2020), EFO (5th June 2020), happyuk (6th June 2020), heretogrow (5th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Ivy23 (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (10th June 2020), NewParadigmGuy (6th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (2nd May 2021)

35. Link to Post #38
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Harmony.
    The beans look great and the grapes conquer me!

I planted more garlic.
    In the climate here, it works, a succession of crops for several garden plants, so I put garlic for the second time this year because this way I have green garlic all the time, and I plant once more in September (it will stay quiet under snow) for next year's spring production.
    I planted it on plain adhesive paper tape for considerable lengths, to avoid an effort that requires too much, if you want to plant more. It is easier with adhesive tape anyway.

I picked chamomile from the hill and planted it in my garden.
    After picking only the inflorescence from the plants (for winter teas), I shortened (cut with scissors) the plants to facilitate the flow of substances needed to take root again in the ground.
    And they have taken root again and each year they will multiply from the roots.

In the morning I found in the garden on the poppy flowers a whole "population" of "happy" bees, certainly the pollen was for them a nutritional "eclipse" ...
    I grow in my garden poppy flowers for poppy seeds capsules, and when they are picked (when they are dry), I continue to dry them in a tray in a room without light, after which I store them in airtight jars.
    BEE SUNSHINE

What are the benefits of poppy seeds
    Improve digestion
    The outer shell of poppy seeds is an excellent source of fiber. You will get 19.5 grams of fiber from 100 grams of raw poppy seeds, which is more than half of the recommended daily dose. A large percentage of the fiber in poppy seeds is metabolized slowly, which helps absorb water in the digestive tract. Thus, constipation is relieved and the feeling of satiety is maintained for a longer time.

Source of minerals and vitamins
    Rich in calcium, phosphorus, iron and zinc, poppy seeds help remineralize the body. Only 1 teaspoon of these oilseeds stores 4% of the recommended daily dose of phosphorus and calcium. When combined, these two substances help build bones, and adults need both phosphorus and calcium to prevent diseases such as osteoporosis. At the same time, they are a good source of iron, which transports oxygen throughout the body and contributes to the creation of proteins and neurotransmitters, thus improving the immune system. A teaspoon of poppy seeds provides 4% of the recommended dose of iron for men and 3% of the recommended dose for women.

Helpful in nervous diseases
    In the case of people suffering from sleep disorders, poppy seeds provide a natural source of alkaloids, substances that have a natural calming effect. Thus, it relieves nervous diseases and insomnia. In addition, they have a high magnesium content, which improves the quality and duration of sleep, but are also useful in regulating metabolism.

Some remedies and how to prepare them

Stimulates hair growth - you can prepare a simple remedy by soaking poppy seeds in fresh coconut milk and combining them with onion paste. Apply the composition on the scalp and leave it on for about 1 hour. Rinse well with a mild-acting shampoo.
    In case of insomnia, warm milk with poppy seeds and honey is a great remedy, which helps you relax before bed.

Poppy cakes

Cake with poppy seeds and lemon cream

Cake with poppy seeds and vanilla cream

Poppy roll

Traditional "Cozonac"
    "Romanian cozonac is a slightly sweet yeast-raised egg bread, similar to houska, that is traditionally eaten for Easter, Christmas, and New Years. Bulgarians call this bread kozunak . It's considered the Italian panettone of the Romanians"

I wish you peace of mind, lots of sun and joy in the garden, for Avalon members, for visitors and for everyone!
    Nature is on our side! I see and feel this every day!

Anca

36. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (5th June 2020), Bo Atkinson (12th June 2020), EFO (6th June 2020), happyuk (6th June 2020), Harmony (6th June 2020), Hym (5th June 2020), Ivy23 (5th June 2020), Nenuphar (10th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (3rd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (5th June 2020)

37. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,754 times in 2,614 posts

Dear Anca,

May I ask, did you make those delcious treats in the above pictures? They look great. Also, does it matter which kind of poppy varieties you collect and use in cooking?

When lisening to the bee/poppy video you can hear birds and insects etc. it is all so amazingly alive, thank you for sharing. (a little note: Appologies, I'm having trouble Anca wih the PM so will have to nvestigate problem further). Harmony ❤

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Anka (6th June 2020), Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (6th June 2020), EFO (6th June 2020), NewParadigmGuy (6th June 2020), Peace in Oz (3rd May 2021)

39. Link to Post #40
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Harmony (here)
    Dear Anca,

May I ask, did you make those delcious treats in the above pictures? They look great. Also, does it matter which kind of poppy varieties you collect and use in cooking?

When lisening to the bee/poppy video you can hear birds and insects etc. it is all so amazingly alive, thank you for sharing. (a little note: Appologies, I'm having trouble Anca wih the PM so will have to nvestigate problem further). Harmony ❤
    The Poppy seed roll is very popular in Europe.

My mother used to make it when I was little quite often, not only for the holidays, and I continued to make it over time, it is very easy to make, a dough in which I put fresh yeast, cow's milk, wheat flour, lemon peel and homemade butter. After the dough grows, you can spread it on the table in a square sheet and spread on it poppy cream with vanilla and lemon peel then roll and bake it. It goes perfectly with freshly milked and well-boiled cow's milk, especially in the evening.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_seed_roll

During communism, once, here in the area, poppy was intensively cultivated, the seeds have survived since then (over 30 years) so he sprouts every year, everywhere and usually the poppy still grows on large areas of fields.
    Over the years, birds (which usually carry various seeds in flight) have carried the seeds everywhere but people no longer consider it a useful or healthy plant and they simply cut or herbicide it.

I use garden poppy or opium poppy (P. somniferum), which is often grown for its capsules, which have a special appearance in floral arrangements and the seeds have an intense specific taste , but this variety has large capsules, a capsule for a cake… The seeds fall alone on the ground and rise alone in spring, it is a plant that finds its own place in the soil and in Nature.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_somniferum

Harvesting and Saving Poppy Seeds(2:12)

Growing garden poppy in the backyard will most likely not bring you into trouble with the law, but there is a possibility. Maybe you grow them for flowers, but according to the list of controlled substances and drugs, it is illegal. The reason? The capsules contain a milky solution, which, once dry, darkens in color and becomes sticky, this being opium. Treating opium with a precipitating agent converts it into morphine; treated with acetic anhydride, it becomes heroin powder, so they say.

I have never seen in our country that the opiate poppy was cultivated, for the trade with illegal drugs, which in my opinion is unimportant anyway. Although gardens are rarely checked, it is wiser not to fill your garden with these plants.
    I cultivate a very small area from which I do not extract as many seeds as I needed for cakes and for that sometimes I have to buy the difference and I am not satisfied with the poppy seeds bought, because in the warehouses where it is stored it is intensively sprayed with solutions against mice or bugs, and I have to eat that solution too because I can't wash poppy seeds well before use.
    Too bad I can't grow a larger area, the bees would have liked it

Thank you Harmony, in my own way, for your interest and I send you a movie made inspired by a rain of poppies (unrelated to the topic but inspiration is part of gardening if you know how to feel Nature in the middle of the garden, then you can make poetry or art out of it, for the sake of good energy)
    Poppy rain (0:58)

I'm sorry, but I like to honor the presence of each plant and its energy in the world.
    Each plant has such a short life, for the elementary purpose of only feeding or healing us, that we must be able to somehow thank these plants by blessing at least the food.

The images with cakes are borrowed (just as an idea and importance of the poppy in our lives), but over the years I have often made these cakes and many cakes in which the combinations can be amazing.
    The cake top and dough is easy to bake and the creams come from inspiration and your own taste, vanilla or lemon cream goes very well with poppy seeds, but you can easily replace poppy seeds with peanuts, coconut, or walnut.
    I always prefer walnuts, because I have 6 old walnuts, and one( an 8-year-old) who gives me enough walnuts for my family and squirrels, so we all share.
    I didn't make poppy cakes recently, but an hour ago I made a dark cake with cocoa, chocolate, coffee and honey, vanilla and rum, I like sweets and sometimes it is a disadvantage that I can make them…I try not to gain weight...
    I wish I could invite anyone to a cake, although only 14 pieces will come out of it after I cut the edges, but I can always bake more

-Returning to the topic, lettuce (Lactuca sativa 'Lollo Rosso') is very resistant to high temperatures and grows very large.
    To her left I have some tomato plants for which I have already stretched the first level of thread from which I am going to catch them for further growth.

-Lettuce Great Lakes, a very popular head lettuce that is an outstanding performer - crisp heads have the perfect crunch that makes it perfect for garnishing sandwiches or vegetarian pizza.
    And leek, which is still small, is the first time I plant it next to the carrots and it grows more slowly, but in the end they will all grow nicely next to each other.

-Green peas, sweet delicious green peas, also popular as garden peas, are one of the ancient cultivated vegetables grown for their delicious, nutritious green seeds, In general, the pods harvested while just short of reaching maturity, at the point when their seeds are green, soft, sweet and edible raw. Peas are starchy, but high in fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc and lutein.

40. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Anna70 (12th March 2022), Bill Ryan (6th June 2020), EFO (7th June 2020), Elainie (6th June 2020), Harmony (7th June 2020), NewParadigmGuy (6th June 2020), Pam (22nd February 2024), Peace in Oz (3rd May 2021), Sarah Rainsong (6th June 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast