+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 10

Thread: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

1. Link to Post #181
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,776 times in 373 posts

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

Thank you Harmony. You make good sense; we’ve had a particularly wet, wet season. Every other potato variety (red lady, sebago) has done well, it’s just the ‘Royal blue’ variety that’s gone mad. I think your analysis is very accurate.

It’s a shame, really. The Royal Blue worked so well over our winter - they are fantastic for baking, and I had good yields with them over the previous winter / dry season. It seems that they don’t do so well in the tropical wet.

Would you believe, I just received a shipment of ‘Dutch Cream’ and ‘Nicola’ seed potatoes last week. I’m soooo looking forward to growing these!

Everything is an experiment for me. Our climate is what you’d call ‘Mountain Tropics’. Yes, we have high rainfall and humidity during the wet season, but our dry season can get quite cool, because we’re at 870m, similar to the ‘Blue Mountains’. Temps can drop to 2-4 degrees C at night when the desert winds roll in...

I still have so much to learn. And your insight is well-received! I must check the soil conditions again this season.

Here’s my potato planting plan for this season:
    Sebago (continuation from last year)
    Red Lady (continuation from last year)
    Dutch Cream (new seed stock)
    Nicola (new seed stock)
    Royal Blue (from new seed stock- not old)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th April 2024), Ewan (14th April 2024), Harmony (14th April 2024), Peace in Oz (Yesterday), Sue (Ayt) (13th April 2024)

3. Link to Post #182
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,776 times in 373 posts

Default Re: What did you plant today? Garden and Farming for FOOD SECURITY.

Oh, and just on your comment about not planting again in the same (garden) bed. I did that! Oops! The other varieties I planted were in beds after growing beans and peas. That’s why!!

Lesson learned…

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th April 2024), Ewan (14th April 2024), Harmony (14th April 2024), Peace in Oz (Yesterday), Sue (Ayt) (13th April 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 10