Thread: Beautiful war

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default Beautiful war

Today, i got a screen capture sent by a friend i had not talked to in a very long time

Basically it said something like "sometimes, art is the face of death" or similar

Idea being, humans are capable of the most beautiful art, but also capable of the most destruction without purpose in this world

I think the picture that came with the comment explains a lot. Such beautiful plane, but if you use it for what it was designed and built for, it just becomes a tool for blood and suffering, and nothing much otherwise

Tired

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

aoibhghaire (25th May 2020), AutumnW (25th May 2020), Ben (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (25th May 2020), christian (25th May 2020), ClearWater (25th May 2020), Craig (25th May 2020), De Christu (23rd March 2021), DeDukshyn (25th May 2020), Franny (25th May 2020), Gracy (25th May 2020), Harmony (26th May 2020), haroldsails (25th May 2020), Ioneo (26th May 2020), Kryztian (25th May 2020), pyrangello (25th May 2020), Reinhard (25th May 2020), Sadieblue (26th May 2020), Sunny-side-up (25th May 2020), Tintin (25th May 2020), XelNaga (26th May 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Default Re: Beautiful war

So true Mashika, we even add human and animal expression to them.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

AutumnW (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), christian (25th May 2020), De Christu (23rd March 2021), Franny (25th May 2020), Gracy (25th May 2020), Harmony (26th May 2020), Mashika (25th May 2020), pyrangello (25th May 2020), XelNaga (26th May 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member bobme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 times in 234 posts

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Agree sunny. but there is more to this that I may not be able to explain for to understand.

I do not know what a screen capture is Mashika, I am not into the smart phones, or the junk tech stuff. I am only into the reallity of things happinig now.

The masculinity is going away from the males, the femineitety frome the females, since this smart crap started.

Thoug it is hard for me to watch, I still have my knowing, that there is nothing to fear at all. only you can decide what to fear, or or simply ignore.

The beliefs you and all others, including myself, must be looked into more deeply
    So understanding can occur.

Nothing can harm you,unless you fear it, Or give it your attentions of grief.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bobme For This Post:

AutumnW (26th May 2020), Ben (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), Franny (25th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020), Sunny-side-up (25th May 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

I drove through a neighboring town last night and there were banners along the street hanging from lamp posts showing town residents who were enlisted in the military services, all of them young people. They were glorifying there service. "They are protecting our freedoms" is what I imagine someone said at town hall when they decided to put those banners up.

Detail of the inscription over the rear entrance to Arlington Memorial
    Amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia, in
    the United States. The amphitheater was dedicated on May 15, 1920. The
    inscription reads: "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori". This is a line
    from a poem by the ancient poet Horace. In English, it means "It is sweet
    and fitting to die for one's country."

I hope that one day people will begin to understand what warfare and military dominance is really about, about securing world power for a global elite that wants to take the resources from the earth and reap the wealth from it, while paying as little money as possible to those who do the work. About destroying cities and infrastructure, so that they can be rebuilt with loans from the World Bank and IMF, turning self sufficient nations into debt slaves.
    Last edited by Kryztian; 25th May 2020 at 15:35.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

AutumnW (25th May 2020), Ben (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), De Christu (23rd March 2021), DeDukshyn (25th May 2020), Franny (25th May 2020), Harmony (26th May 2020), haroldsails (25th May 2020), Justplain (26th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020), Sunny-side-up (25th May 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Quote Posted by bobme (here)
    Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Agree sunny. but there is more to this that I may not be able to explain for to understand.

I do not know what a screen capture is Mashika, I am not into the smart phones, or the junk tech stuff. I am only into the reallity of things happinig now.

The masculinity is going away from the males, the femineitety frome the females, since this smart crap started.

Thoug it is hard for me to watch, I still have my knowing, that there is nothing to fear at all. only you can decide what to fear, or or simply ignore.

The beliefs you and all others, including myself, must be looked into more deeply
    So understanding can occur.

Nothing can harm you,unless you fear it, Or give it your attentions of grief.
    Yes to see and know, then you can understand, don't fear.
    'Know the enemy' as they say, then you can understand and behave accordingly, not in fear.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

AutumnW (26th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), De Christu (23rd March 2021), Harmony (26th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Reminds me of the 'beautiful missiles' for Syria.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

AutumnW (25th May 2020), Ben (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), Kryztian (25th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Beauty can be within many things including natures Cheetah, which is beautiful in its pursuit of of its prey . I have always loved planes, ships , cars and even guns in their design and symmetry etc, but one has to be able to detach meaning from their form. The Stealth planes are truly beautiful as well as the P51 Mustangs of old

And a golf club can be used to kill someone.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

AutumnW (26th May 2020), Axman (26th May 2020), Ben (25th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), De Christu (23rd March 2021), Harmony (26th May 2020), Kryztian (25th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020), rgray222 (28th May 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 times in 233 posts

Kryztian,

Thanks for reminding me of the quote by Horace.

When studying English in higher school, my amazing, and rebelious english teacher assigned us to read and interpret the poem of the same title, by the world war 1 poet Wilfred Owen.

It moved me so very deeply, and here it is:

Dulce et Decorum Est

By Wilfred Owen

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,

Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,

Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,

And towards our distant rest began to trudge.

Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,

But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;

Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling

Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,

But someone still was yelling out and stumbling

And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—

Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,

As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,

He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace

Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,

His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood

Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,

Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud

Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

To children ardent for some desperate glory,

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.

The only difference in the title's meaning, dulce est decorum pro patria mori, is instead of it is sweet and fitting to die for ones country, it says 'it is noble and fitting to die for ones country'.

That poem changed my perception of the world in quite a profound manner.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

AutumnW (25th May 2020), Axman (26th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), De Christu (23rd March 2021), Harmony (26th May 2020), Ioneo (26th May 2020), Justplain (26th May 2020), Kryztian (26th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Ben Macdonald,

All wars should be seen as a defeat. World War 2, which was seen as a justifiable war of defence against the Nazis, is rarely viewed for what it was. Naziism was an outgrowth of the immense suffering of the Germans, post WW1 -- a stupid run-away war between inbred aristocratic cousins...a war fought for the glory of twits.

Your poem captures the wholesale slaughter and depravity of the first World War.

Very hard to detach meaning from objective art form of weapons.

Memorial Day should mean "I remember" in a historical sense.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), De Christu (23rd March 2021), Mashika (27th July 2020), thepainterdoug (26th May 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Given that this is the memorial weekend it seems appropriate for a bit of a rant. We need to change the way we memorialize war. We need to memorialize invention, math, science, space exploration, art, literature, humor, and language. Yes, wars have happened since the beginning of time and there is no reason not to memorialize lives that were lost. But we do not need to erect massive war memorials on prime real estate all over Europe and the USA. Lets put memorials right in the center of these cities that memorializes the best of mankind not the worst. Let's move the war memorials to the outskirts of these cities.

Let stop sending young children on field trips that showcase war. Let these children start to admire explorers, people of science, leaders that govern away from war and toward peace. How did memorial day (or weekend) get hijacked by the military?

Don't get me wrong, I am not sure that war isn't necessary sometimes, but it should be the court of last resort. Hopefully, as man evolves more fully war will become unnecessary and we will be able to do away with all military forces worldwide. That said there is no reason under the sun to confine memorial day to war. War should occupy the smallest part of our memory not the largest.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

AutumnW (26th May 2020), Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), De Christu (23rd March 2021), Justplain (26th May 2020), Kryztian (26th May 2020), Mashika (27th July 2020), Star Tsar (26th May 2020), thepainterdoug (26th May 2020)

+ Reply to Thread