+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Surveillance Capitalism

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Zionbrion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 times in 406 posts

Default Surveillance Capitalism

I would like to bring your attention to this important documentary with Soshana Zuboff on the nature of our current surveillance state. A lot of you I am sure are already aware of this, but may give you a deeper insight and good talking points to bring up to friends or family who use the ‘well, I’m not doing anything wrong’ reasoning.

She focuses on business using the data to exploit you through patterned behavior, really makes you think about how/when/if the governments use of all this data collected on us.

I have naturally always tried to remain semi anonymous online, but I was guilty of using google for quite a while. If you are looking to avoid this data being collected about you, its nearly impossible, but some things you can do are
    1. Stop using Google, try DuckduckGo instead
    2. Use the Brave browser, it blocks a lot of data collection and ads
    3. Use a VPN, it alters your IP address so websites cannot track your location

Another interesting video on this same type of topic is facial recognition technology. I often see John Oliver as part of the propaganda machine, but he still will touch issues a lot of other mainstream programs won’t. This one is very insightful

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Zionbrion For This Post:

Airelle77 (5th January 2021), Alecs (18th February 2022), Bill Ryan (29th June 2020), Ernie Nemeth (29th June 2020), gord (29th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Hermoor (18th February 2022), Matthew (19th August 2023), mountain_jim (26th August 2022), O Donna (29th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th June 2020), Tintin (29th June 2020), toppy (29th June 2020), Victoria (29th June 2020), Violet3 (29th June 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,609 times in 5,415 posts

Default Re: Surveillance Capitalism

Excellent and essential viewing

I have actually mentioned her before in a thread somewhere a fair while ago now - I don't recall exactly where or when - and have her book.

Having a dedicated thread is of course an excellent idea, so, thanks again
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

gord (29th June 2020), greybeard (29th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Hermoor (18th February 2022), mountain_jim (26th August 2022), O Donna (29th June 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th June 2020), toppy (29th June 2020), Victoria (29th June 2020), Violet3 (29th June 2020), Zionbrion (29th June 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,158 times in 1,663 posts

Holy Si*t, not only do I suspect many people have little clue about surveillance capital NOW but they also know little of what's coming. (They'll social engineer suspicion and concern right out of critical mass need to do anything about it in the near future...oh wait....)

I've sensed the broad scope and power of technology but specifics starts to bring it all home.....LITERALLY!

Our despondence (and growing) on tech/ AI can never be overblown IMO.

What is something that is heavily dependent on something else called? CONTROLLED!

A sitting duck.

(Talk about a 'Brave New Word'!)

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

greybeard (29th June 2020), Harmony (29th June 2020), Hermoor (18th February 2022), Tintin (29th June 2020), toppy (29th June 2020), Victoria (29th June 2020), Violet3 (29th June 2020), Zionbrion (29th June 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member Violet3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,369 times in 236 posts

Thumbs up Re: Surveillance Capitalism

hmm, geez I have been avoiding looking at this one, maybe tomorrow I will feel up to it.
    Zionbrion thanks for the suggestions about changing browsers etc - I have to do something about this too. Sigh.
    Last edited by Violet3; 29th June 2020 at 12:20.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Violet3 For This Post:

Hermoor (18th February 2022), Zionbrion (29th June 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Malta On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Zionbrion (here)
    I would like to bring your attention to this important documentary with Soshana Zuboff on the nature of our current surveillance state. A lot of you I am sure are already aware of this, but may give you a deeper insight and good talking points to bring up to friends or family who use the ‘well, I’m not doing anything wrong’ reasoning.

She focuses on business using the data to exploit you through patterned behavior, really makes you think about how/when/if the governments use of all this data collected on us.

I have naturally always tried to remain semi anonymous online, but I was guilty of using google for quite a while. If you are looking to avoid this data being collected about you, its nearly impossible, but some things you can do are
    1. Stop using Google, try DuckduckGo instead
    2. Use the Brave browser, it blocks a lot of data collection and ads
    3. Use a VPN, it alters your IP address so websites cannot track your location

Another interesting video on this same type of topic is facial recognition technology. I often see John Oliver as part of the propaganda machine, but he still will touch issues a lot of other mainstream programs won’t. This one is very insightful

THX This having watched this excellent interview is what I term Digital Zersetzung you think it will catch on!.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Airelle77 For This Post:

Hermoor (18th February 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,847 times in 1,072 posts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermoor For This Post:

mountain_jim (26th August 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,091 times in 20,639 posts

Facebook losing over data mining

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    It Happened Finally - Facebook is Losing Everything
    259,856 views Aug 17, 2022
    DB Business
    186K subscribers

"Elon Musk was right, Facebook is in big trouble. Only a few days ago, when the news emerged that Facebook was in deep trouble, many people disregarded it. They said that Facebook would simply settle for a small number of billions in liabilities and that's all. Situation appears to be worse than we thought."

[COLOR="red"]
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

15. Link to Post #8
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 times in 571 posts

One of the banks in Ireland, AIB a few weeks ago was going to eliminate cash services at 7o locations [they have over 17o locations] throughout the 26 Counties and due to pressure from the customers walked it back very shortly after its announcement.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

mountain_jim (26th August 2022), onawah (27th August 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,091 times in 20,639 posts

More Big Tech data theft exposed
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Baidu, another Big Tech accused of data theft
    861 views Aug 26, 2022
    China Revealed
    9.27K subscribers

"On the night of August 18, a tweet posted on social media by the user named “Bian Xiang” was shared thousands of times in a few hours. It accused Chinese tech giant Baidu of invading user privacy by using the Baidu manual network disk reviewer to open the contents of the user’s drive."

Each breath a gift...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,188 times in 4,071 posts

The video embedded in the tweet below is labelled in the context of 'AI' but that's only part of the picture.

This is a monitoring issue and its put me off big brand coffee shops, which is a shame because I am a coffee addict. You might think I should have stopped big brand coffee already? Yeah well now I'm have to go through cold sweats anyway so I wish I had.

The threat is the same from this monitoring as the threat described in the opening post: it makes us vulnerable to high-quality social engineering attacks, which aim to manipulate our behaviour. This is in addition to more explicit, non-subtle behaviour, like banning your transactions.

People are already falling for social engineering: "fear of missing out", "jabbed for others safety", ...and when every fourth person said "Have you had your jabs yet? Have you had your jabs yet?". Testament to the power of social engineering, that everyone around us accidentally, and without realising it, encouraged people to poison themselves. This actually happened. Someone in the world is feeling VERY pleased with themselves about this.

Laura Dodsworth talks about how to defend against social engineering attacks off the back of her previous book which exposed the use of social engineering at the governmental level. Her and some guy wrote a new book about this, that I mentioned in its own thread (link to thread)

Quote "The human brain is like a human egg; once the sperm gets in there's a shut-off device, no more sperm get into the human egg." - Charlie Munger

"We allow ourselves to be fertilized by an idea, and then we're not open minded to new ideas. But actually one of the best things you can do to free your mind is to consciously be open minded, and to take on new ideas and experiences." - Laura Dodsworth.

Quote Lukas Benzl
    @lukasbenzlcom
    This concept shows how a coffee shop ☕️ can use AI to analyze baristas and customers.

Enjoy your Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino and privacy while there is time. 😅
    <video of a coffee shop with text and boxes augmented over the customers head showing the duration they've been in the shop, and the staff have their names augmented over their heads and their movement is tracked. It looks like the number of cups of coffee they've made is also shown>

+ Reply to Thread