Thread: Heart problems and arrhythmias

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Default Re: Heart problems and arrhythmias

Quote Posted by Journeyman (here)
    Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to second the good advice offered here:

and elsewhere in the thread regarding gluten or other food intolerance. I suffered from AF and chronic chest pains for years. Having been 'cleared' by a cardiologist after completing a 24hr trace and sonar check I was effectively told to get on with it.

Many years later I went on an elimination diet for unrelated reasons and in the process my heart issues stopped along with a plethora of other symptoms which I'd never connected as being related. Whether the heart issues were related to the gluten intake reducing my capacity to process potassium was a question I never got resolved. I tested negative for coeliac after a challenge, but after my bodies reaction to going back on gluten I had all the evidence I needed and there's nothing that medicine would do with a positive diagnosis other than tell me to avoid gluten so that was the end of that.

A strict gluten and dairy free diet has done wonders for my health, if not my choice of restaurants! I still get the occasional reminder now, which I think may be down to tiny amounts of cross contamination which sometimes occur even if you're being super careful.

Of course what worked for me, may not work for others, but I found personal testimony very useful when tracking down my own issues with food intolerance and hopefully the same may be true for others. Certainly when faced with the initially daunting prospect of losing a lot of favoured food (and drink ) then it helped to see that for others it was a price more than worth paying.

Wishing Amy and anyone else who has suffered from this sincere best wishes.

Thanks for your kind advice and perspective Journeyman

It is very unfortunate that it doesn't work for others the same as for me, In my case, i stilll have lots of issues, regardless of diet and all cares, i still suddenly have to go emergency room in bad ways from time and again

Just had another episode a couple days ago, no matter what it keeps happening and no diet or doctor has been able to fix it, i'm "Amy" by the way

I guess is just that i can't keep going this way, but my body somehow got damaged

I have been testing lots of things, most came from this thread, i still was not able to get into a good track after a time. Even after feeling well for a few weeks, i come back to feeling terrible again, and tons of pain sometimes, i'm just like this

I don't really mind, i understand this, i am very thankful for all the help and care i got and still get. You go forward as much as you can, right? if you get to 90, you got to 90, or whatever, So it's just a matter of keep going strong, so far nothing has made it better but i don't give up, that's a primary thing, to never give up

It's the most important thing. Keep that attitude and it will serve you well.

I hope you don't mind if I go back to diet, even though you may have decided it's not relevant. The reason is that I had so many different things happening with me that I was convinced were separate. Some of them resolved with an initial diet change, some took a lot longer, then I found I had a second issue with dairy after years of thinking I'd got all the answers I would.

Hyperglycaemia was one issue, I had multiple diabetes tests and used to drink massive amounts of water. I'd have shaking fingers. POTS, was another, which I still get faint reminders of now.

What I found really helpful was keeping a diary. Noting several times a day how I was feeling, both mentally and physically, what I'd eaten and drank, any medication I was taking etc. You effectively become your own science experiment. It helped me in a couple of ways. Firstly, it's action and taking action is empowering in itself. Secondly, it's an amazing way to track causes which may take hours or even days to manifest in your body.

For example, I got a rash and was able to track it down to something I ate 3 days before. That gave me data on how that food could trigger that condition. I was able to trace the onset of depression and just knowing that it had a physical trigger was immensely freeing for me.

Some things took a lot longer to resolve, I was getting improvements months after changing my lifestyle. Without a diary I would never have made those connections and would've told myself that the diet changes didn't work and gone on to look for something else.

When it became time to do a gluten challenge for testing purposes, the diary helped me track the gradual decline in my mental and physical state as each symptom returned. It gave me all the evidence I needed to be strict on the diet once the challenge period was over.

One of the posts further back from Tomkat struck a chord with me. He mentions doing an elimination diet, I wondered if you'd tried that? It's something that takes a bit of planning and it could forever ruin chicken soup for you, but it can be very helpful in tracking down anything which your body isn't dealing well with. A food diary is a very important part of that too.

Of course this is me and you are you. So I know this may not be the case for you or others, but autoimmune conditions are very tricky things to pin down and the diary may just give you a different way of approaching this and some useful data at the end of it.

Keep that positive attitude, sending you best wishes!

This is great practical, doable advice. It's so easy to forget the details and the sequencing . Just a short sentence journal ..a bit of a challenge to get in the habit but can be pretty easy once you are used to it. We are going to find ourselves having to rely on ourselves more and more for health maintenance so documentation is something anyone can do. Highly support the concept.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2022), Harmony (12th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (12th November 2022), Journeyman (17th November 2022), Mercedes (15th March 2024), RunningDeer (12th November 2022), wondering (12th November 2022)

3. Link to Post #82
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,487 times in 1,711 posts

A strange thing happened about 20 yrs. ago when I underwent open-heart surgery. I became suddenly aware of the connection between heart and brain.
    Whenever I talked, even calmly, about anything that was even a tiny bit emotional I stopped in the middle of my sentence, stopped by a strong emotional feeling.
    Even the sound of my voice stopped me.

I read about people who had a heart "transplant" experiencing something similar but I had the same heart but a very different feeling to what I had always had.
    There is definitely a strong connection between the two.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 14th March 2024 at 16:20. Reason: fixed line breaks in the text for easier reading
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Anu Raman (14th November 2022), Bill Ryan (12th November 2022), Harmony (12th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (12th November 2022), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Peace in Oz (12th November 2022), pyrangello (17th March 2024), RunningDeer (12th November 2022), wondering (12th November 2022)

5. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

I personally had heart pain for a while and discovered that it was from too high a dose of vit D 3

sometimes supplements can affect the heart.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Anu Raman (14th November 2022), Bill Ryan (12th November 2022), East Sun (14th November 2022), Harmony (12th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th November 2022), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Pam (14th November 2022), Peace in Oz (12th November 2022), pyrangello (17th March 2024), RunningDeer (12th November 2022)

7. Link to Post #84
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,487 times in 1,711 posts

Way, way back in the long-ago seventies I swallowed handfuls of
    vitamins and minerals and achieve more physically and emotionally
    and mentally than I ever dreamed I could do.

But I am not recommending this to anyone for many reasons.
    Everyone is different, of course, and we respond to everything
    differently. That's part of what makes life interesting. imo
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Anu Raman (14th November 2022), Bill Ryan (14th November 2022), Harmony (14th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (14th November 2022), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Pam (14th November 2022), RunningDeer (14th November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (14th November 2022)

9. Link to Post #85
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 times in 263 posts

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    A strange thing happened about 20 yrs......
    ....There is definitely a strong connection between the two.
    The heart is an esoteric engine, not a mere pump.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to s7e6e For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th November 2022), East Sun (17th March 2024), Harmony (14th November 2022), Journeyman (17th November 2022), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Mike Gorman (16th March 2024), Pam (14th November 2022), RunningDeer (14th November 2022)

11. Link to Post #86
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

Quote Posted by Pam (here)
    Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to second the good advice offered here:

and elsewhere in the thread regarding gluten or other food intolerance. I suffered from AF and chronic chest pains for years. Having been 'cleared' by a cardiologist after completing a 24hr trace and sonar check I was effectively told to get on with it.

Many years later I went on an elimination diet for unrelated reasons and in the process my heart issues stopped along with a plethora of other symptoms which I'd never connected as being related. Whether the heart issues were related to the gluten intake reducing my capacity to process potassium was a question I never got resolved. I tested negative for coeliac after a challenge, but after my bodies reaction to going back on gluten I had all the evidence I needed and there's nothing that medicine would do with a positive diagnosis other than tell me to avoid gluten so that was the end of that.

A strict gluten and dairy free diet has done wonders for my health, if not my choice of restaurants! I still get the occasional reminder now, which I think may be down to tiny amounts of cross contamination which sometimes occur even if you're being super careful.

Of course what worked for me, may not work for others, but I found personal testimony very useful when tracking down my own issues with food intolerance and hopefully the same may be true for others. Certainly when faced with the initially daunting prospect of losing a lot of favoured food (and drink ) then it helped to see that for others it was a price more than worth paying.

Wishing Amy and anyone else who has suffered from this sincere best wishes.

Thanks for your kind advice and perspective Journeyman

It is very unfortunate that it doesn't work for others the same as for me, In my case, i stilll have lots of issues, regardless of diet and all cares, i still suddenly have to go emergency room in bad ways from time and again

Just had another episode a couple days ago, no matter what it keeps happening and no diet or doctor has been able to fix it, i'm "Amy" by the way

I guess is just that i can't keep going this way, but my body somehow got damaged

I have been testing lots of things, most came from this thread, i still was not able to get into a good track after a time. Even after feeling well for a few weeks, i come back to feeling terrible again, and tons of pain sometimes, i'm just like this

I don't really mind, i understand this, i am very thankful for all the help and care i got and still get. You go forward as much as you can, right? if you get to 90, you got to 90, or whatever, So it's just a matter of keep going strong, so far nothing has made it better but i don't give up, that's a primary thing, to never give up

It's the most important thing. Keep that attitude and it will serve you well.

I hope you don't mind if I go back to diet, even though you may have decided it's not relevant. The reason is that I had so many different things happening with me that I was convinced were separate. Some of them resolved with an initial diet change, some took a lot longer, then I found I had a second issue with dairy after years of thinking I'd got all the answers I would.

Hyperglycaemia was one issue, I had multiple diabetes tests and used to drink massive amounts of water. I'd have shaking fingers. POTS, was another, which I still get faint reminders of now.

What I found really helpful was keeping a diary. Noting several times a day how I was feeling, both mentally and physically, what I'd eaten and drank, any medication I was taking etc. You effectively become your own science experiment. It helped me in a couple of ways. Firstly, it's action and taking action is empowering in itself. Secondly, it's an amazing way to track causes which may take hours or even days to manifest in your body.

For example, I got a rash and was able to track it down to something I ate 3 days before. That gave me data on how that food could trigger that condition. I was able to trace the onset of depression and just knowing that it had a physical trigger was immensely freeing for me.

Some things took a lot longer to resolve, I was getting improvements months after changing my lifestyle. Without a diary I would never have made those connections and would've told myself that the diet changes didn't work and gone on to look for something else.

When it became time to do a gluten challenge for testing purposes, the diary helped me track the gradual decline in my mental and physical state as each symptom returned. It gave me all the evidence I needed to be strict on the diet once the challenge period was over.

One of the posts further back from Tomkat struck a chord with me. He mentions doing an elimination diet, I wondered if you'd tried that? It's something that takes a bit of planning and it could forever ruin chicken soup for you, but it can be very helpful in tracking down anything which your body isn't dealing well with. A food diary is a very important part of that too.

Of course this is me and you are you. So I know this may not be the case for you or others, but autoimmune conditions are very tricky things to pin down and the diary may just give you a different way of approaching this and some useful data at the end of it.

Keep that positive attitude, sending you best wishes!

This is great practical, doable advice. It's so easy to forget the details and the sequencing . Just a short sentence journal ..a bit of a challenge to get in the habit but can be pretty easy once you are used to it. We are going to find ourselves having to rely on ourselves more and more for health maintenance so documentation is something anyone can do. Highly support the concept.
    It cam be invaluable, because as much as you think you know what you're consuming, it's only once you methodically note it down that you get a proper handle on just what your body is dealing with day to day. I carried a little notepad, but you could just as easily use a note app on a smartphone. Some advice on doing it here:

https://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Food-Diary
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...to-get-started

I have to be careful extrapolating my own experience on to others, but I do think that there are many of us out there dealing with one form of food intolerance or another but completely oblivious to it and putting symptoms down to ageing or some kind of genetic inheritance. When there could be a solution as simple as swapping one food for another similar one. An easy win in some senses, though it doesn't always feel that way when I'm looking in a cakeshop window

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th November 2022), Mercedes (15th March 2024), RunningDeer (17th November 2022)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,578 times in 32,794 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    When I was young (teens and 20s) I had frequent tachycardias. That's not just an arrhythmia: it's when the heart starts racing at 200+ per minute, but isn't pumping properly at all. It was often triggered by making a sudden movement, like quickly bending down to pick something up that I'd dropped. But sometimes it'd just turn on for no apparent reason at all.

It'd happen every few weeks back then. Usually, it lasted only a few minutes or less, but I remember once when it just would NOT stop, and went on for hours and hours. I got really weak and cold, and just collapsed into bed. I was seriously scared I might never wake up. (But I did, of course, and everything was all magically back to normal.)

I was so freaked out, I never even told my parents. I went to the doctor on my own, and he said it wasn't a structural malfunction at all — just an electrical heart-signal anomaly — and told me I'd grow out of it.

I was a combination of relieved and skeptical, but that's exactly what happened: I did gradually grow out of it.

Every now and then, though, the tachycardia would show up again. The last time it happened for longer than about a minute or two was 15 years ago, in 2005. And like when I was a teenager, the 200+ pulse would NOT stop.

I was in a crazy situation, as I had a plane to catch, and had to drive to the airport on the freeway. I was on my own, and I had no time to stop and rest: I'd have missed my flight.

I was seriously concerned I might pass out cold when driving — but I managed to get to the airport simply through determined, focused effort of will. Safely on the plane, I collapsed in my seat and fell asleep — and woke up an hour later all fine. Just like when I was a kid.

It's not happened since! And as many readers will know, I regularly hike in the mountains here, long days as high as 15,000 ft, and it's often pretty strenuous. Certainly quite a workout. But of course, that's the very BEST exercise for heart health.
    An interesting update on this, and a request for any information if someone (@Mike?) might happen to have any.

My tachycardia happened again the other day, at the very end of a high mountain hike, just as I was returning to my car. All was well, but it lasted quite a while until I could drive down the highway to a much lower altitude, where there's a lot more oxygen. Just to be safe and sure, I went for an ECG the following day, and all was 100% fine and normal — as it always has been. ("Muy bien", said the cardiologist. )

Looking back on all the times this has ever happened, I'm as sure as I can be that the common factor is being dehydrated. That alone is something good to understand, as it's so very easily remedied.

But here's my question. I'm sure I could discover a lot online, but maybe some Avalon members might be able to advise, having done all the research themselves.

What are all the optimum general heart health supplements? I take CoQ10, fish oil, and C60, as well as magnesium and all kinds of other minerals and vitamins.

What else might I take routinely to ensure my heart stays great shape for another 20+ years?

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (14th March 2024), EsmaEverheart (14th March 2024), happyuk (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Mike (14th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

15. Link to Post #88
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,160 times in 13,484 posts

I agree with your dehydration theory. I bet you don’t feel thirsty like other people do, and so don’t grab that water bottle as often as you should.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

avid (14th March 2024), Bill Ryan (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), meat suit (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

17. Link to Post #89
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,312 times in 5,692 posts

Hey Bill, sorry to hear about your tachycardia incident! That's always pretty scary. But very glad to hear you're feeling well now and you got the muy bien from the doc.

Sounds like you're taking some great stuff for your heart. I feel pretty confident that there's 2 supplements you can add that will smooth out your heartbeat and prevent any further incidents: D-Ribose and L-Carnitine

This is one area that I'm an accidental expert in. When I say I've tried it all, I mean that literally. And I'm as certain as I can be that the 4 most important nutrients for the heart are:

1) CoQ10
    2) magnesium
    3) L Carnitine
    4) D Ribose

Many people take one or several but not all of these supplements (which is great) but the real miracle happens when you take them all.

The "awesome foursome" (https://heartmdinstitute.com/diet-nu...some-foursome/) was popularized by cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, and not only did it heal things like tachycardia, mitral valve prolapse, arrhythmia, and various other heart ailments, but it also brought heart failure patients back to life and got them off transplant lists. A miracle combo.

It doesn't necessarily matter what the heart issue is, this combo nearly always works. The second you take your first dose of ribose, your heart will thank you. Truly. It will feel like it's emitting an enormous sign of relief.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mike; 14th March 2024 at 18:16.

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th March 2024), Arcturian108 (14th March 2024), avid (14th March 2024), Bill Ryan (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), Sue (Ayt) (14th March 2024), ulli (14th March 2024), Vicus (14th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

19. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Hey Bill, sorry to hear about your tachycardia incident! That's always pretty scary. But very glad to hear you're feeling well now and you got the muy bien from the doc.

Sounds like you're taking some great stuff for your heart. I feel pretty confident that there's 2 supplements you can add that will smooth out your heartbeat and prevent any further incidents: D-Ribose and L-Carnitine

This is one area that I'm an accidental expert in. When I say I've tried it all, I mean that literally. And I'm as certain as I can be that the 4 most important nutrients for the heart are:

1) CoQ10
    2) magnesium
    3) L Carnitine
    4) D Ribose

Many people take one or several but not all of these supplements (which is great) but the real miracle happens when you take them all.

The "awesome foursome" (https://heartmdinstitute.com/diet-nu...some-foursome/) was popularized by cardiologist Stephen Sinatra, and not only did it heal things like tachycardia, mitral valve prolapse, arrhythmia, and various other heart ailments, but it also brought heart failure patients back to life and got them off transplant lists. A miracle combo.

It doesn't necessarily matter what the heart issue is, this combo nearly always works. The second you take your first dose of ribose, your heart will thank you. Truly. It will feel like it's emitting an enormous sign of relief.

Good luck!
    Fabulous, Mike, many thanks.

I checked these 4 pages Stephen Sinatra links to about how much of each one might take, depending on whatever any underlying problems might be:
    1. CoQ10
    2. Magnesium
    3. L-Carnitine
    4. D-Ribose
    The suggested amounts of L-Carnitine and D-Ribose seem like more than I'd expected, but I was VERY interested to hear the recommendations.

I'm as sure as I can be that I have no underlying condition. But I do hike pretty high in the mountains here, and sometimes quite strenuously too. At 14,000 ft atmospheric oxygen is down to 12.3%, while at sea level it's 20.9%. So when I'm climbing high I'm only getting just over half the oxygen someone would be down in Miami, New York or LA. That has to put a strain on the entire circulatory system, for sure, so it definitely makes great sense to keep it all as strong as possible.

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th March 2024), avid (14th March 2024), EsmaEverheart (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Hym (14th March 2024), kudzy (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Mike (14th March 2024), Miller (14th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), Sue (Ayt) (14th March 2024), Vicus (14th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

21. Link to Post #91
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,308 times in 1,659 posts

Well... what about taken a bottle oxygen next time ?

1 liter = 1 kilogram, isn't too much weight extra,just in case...

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

avid (14th March 2024), Bill Ryan (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Miller (14th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), Sue (Ayt) (14th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

23. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

1) CoQ10
    2) magnesium
    3) L Carnitine
    4) D Ribose

Good luck!
    Fabulous, Mike, many thanks.

I checked these 4 pages Stephen Sinatra links to about how much of each one might take, depending on whatever any underlying problems might be:
    1. CoQ10
    2. Magnesium
    3. L-Carnitine
    4. D-Ribose
    The suggested amounts of L-Carnitine and D-Ribose seem like more than I'd expected, but I was VERY interested to hear the recommendations.

I'm as sure as I can be that I have no underlying condition. But I do hike pretty high in the mountains here, and sometimes quite strenuously too. At 14,000 ft atmospheric oxygen is down to 12.3%, while at sea level it's 20.9%. So when I'm climbing high I'm only getting just over half the oxygen someone would be down in Miami, New York or LA. That has to put a strain on the entire circulatory system, for sure, so it definitely makes great sense to keep it all as strong as possible.

Yep, and there's one more, which I hesitate to mention because I don't want to bludgeon you with suggestions...

It's called "Oxygen Elements Max". It comes in a liquid form (7 drops per 8oz is the standard dose). It might make sense to put it in your water before you begin hiking. It's made an enormous difference in my life. It increases cellular oxygenation, endurance, and stamina.

Instead of waffling on about my experience, I'll offer you a link for the basic info: https://www.professionalsupplementce...YaAgQFEALw_wcB

I've tried almost all of the oxygen drop supplements (including the most popular, "Cell Food") and this one is by far and away the best, in my experience. It's affordable and lasts a while too, which is always good.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

avid (14th March 2024), Bill Ryan (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Miller (14th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

25. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)

Ha. Bottled oxygen is [sometimes] used by Himalayan climbers when they're at 26,000 ft or above. (Atmospheric oxygen up there is down to 8%.) I'd be laughed at mercilessly by every hiker I met.

There's one more [ ... ] it's called "Oxygen Elements Max". It comes in a liquid form (7 drops per 8oz is the standard dose). It might make sense to put it in your water before you begin hiking. It's made an enormous difference in my life. It increases cellular oxygenation, endurance, and stamina.

Instead of waffling on about my experience, I'll offer you a link for the basic info: https://www.professionalsupplementce...al-health-trax

I've tried almost all of the oxygen drop supplements (including the most popular, "Cell Food") and this one is by far and away the best, in my experience. It's affordable and lasts a while too, which is always good.
    Noted, and many thanks again. I don't actually have any problems (or so it feels! ) with ever feeling out of breath in the mountains, and I've never had any problem with going high, even up to 21,000 ft. The point I was making (maybe not very well!) was simply about the stress on the cardiovascular system, even if it seems to be doing its job perfectly. But if this is inexpensive and does a great job, I'll be delighted to try it.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (14th March 2024), EsmaEverheart (14th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), Mike (14th March 2024), Miller (14th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (14th March 2024)

27. Link to Post #94
    Thanks
    Thanked 98,686 times in 9,596 posts

I read somewhere Potassium works well with Magnesium.
    Also Hawthorne berries but thats really for blood pressure I believe.

Also for heart there’s folic, vitamin B6, B12 but I don’t know if it would help with arrhythmia.
    "Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
    - - - - Emily Elizabeth Dickinson. 🪶💜

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th March 2024), Bill Ryan (15th March 2024), Harmony (14th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), tessie999 (15th March 2024), wondering (14th March 2024), Yoda (15th March 2024)

29. Link to Post #95
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)

Ha. Bottled oxygen is [sometimes] used by Himalayan climbers when they're at 26,000 ft or above. (Atmospheric oxygen up there is down to 8%.) I'd be laughed at mercilessly by every hiker I met.

There's one more [ ... ] it's called "Oxygen Elements Max". It comes in a liquid form (7 drops per 8oz is the standard dose). It might make sense to put it in your water before you begin hiking. It's made an enormous difference in my life. It increases cellular oxygenation, endurance, and stamina.

Instead of waffling on about my experience, I'll offer you a link for the basic info: https://www.professionalsupplementce...al-health-trax

Noted, and many thanks again. I don't actually have any problems (or so it feels! ) with ever feeling out of breath in the mountains, and I've never had any problem with going high, even up to 21,000 ft. The point I was making (maybe not very well!) was simply about the stress on the cardiovascular system, even if it seems to be doing its job perfectly. But if this is inexpensive and does a great job, I'll be delighted to try it.
    Ok, one more supplement suggestion...

(kidding)

You explained yourself perfectly. I hear you - no underlying conditions and you feel fit on the mountain and so forth. My understanding of tachycardia/arrhythmia is something like the result of the heart expending more energy than it's creating, which creates an electrical disturbance and some unsettling wonkiness. It's not something you always feel at first, so best perhaps to fortify with oxygenating supps before you set out, to lessen the stress you mentioned on the cardiovascular system etc. Was suggesting as a preventative measure is all. Something like that.

Humorous sidenote: the last time I went to a cardiologist was for a treadmill test ("stress test"), which honestly seems pretty counterintuitive to me (You're experiencing chest pains? Well lets throw you on this treadmill then!).

For those that don't know, it's where various suction cups are hooked up to your chest and belly, which feed information to a computer while you deliberately stress your already stressed heart so as to reveal the underlying issue to the cardiologist (if you don't die first).

I was in lousy shape at the time, 20 lbs overweight, feeling deeply insecure, and I'm about to jog shirtless on this bloody treadmill.. and of course one of the nurses there is a girl I went to high school with! UGH. Long story short, I kicked everyone out of there, including my parents. Made a big scene. It was just me and the cardiologist finally. No way I was going to embarrass myself like that. It felt undignified LOL!

Moral of the story: Vanity is still alive and well, even in near fatal situations

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th March 2024), Bill Ryan (15th March 2024), Harmony (15th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), Ravenlocke (16th March 2024), Vicus (15th March 2024), Yoda (15th March 2024)

31. Link to Post #96
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,985 times in 463 posts

Ubiquitol and Emu oil are good heart supplements

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th March 2024), Bill Ryan (15th March 2024), Harmony (15th March 2024), Mercedes (15th March 2024), pueblo (15th March 2024), Ravenlocke (16th March 2024), Yoda (15th March 2024)

33. Link to Post #97
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,452 times in 1,399 posts

Just out of interest, I googled “How do you treat palpitations and tachycardia?” and the first suggestion would seem to be least invasive and a (sort of) First Aid treatment.

Treatment
    • Vagal maneuvers. Simple but specific actions such as coughing, bearing down as if passing stool, or putting an ice pack on the face can help slow down the heart rate.
    • Medicines. If vagal maneuvers don't stop the fast heartbeat, medicine may be needed to correct the heart rhythm.
    • Cardioversion
    A few years ago I noticed that whenever I took a vitamin supplement (and I tried all different makes, both cheap and expensive) then 2 weeks later I would start getting intermittent palpitations. When I stopped taking them they would disappear about 2 weeks later. Not to be easily deterred, I experimented over the years with multivitamins, cod liver oil capsules, krill oil tablets, Floradix liquid multivitamins (in case it was the casing), and Vitamin D3+K2 liquid administered by dropper, but nothing made any difference to those darn palpitations. But I had been taking cod liver oil capsules on and off for years before then with no side effects whatsoever.

I mention this only because you have said on another thread that you take supplements regularly, and I thought that, like me, you might have developed an intolerance to one/all of them.

At the end of the day, most vitamins and minerals are manufactured by Big Pharma:

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/the...ement-industry

a quote from which:
    “Increasingly, Big Pharma and Big Herba are indistinguishable,” claims Parramore. “The very same mega-companies with gigantic chemical labs that make drugs are cooking up vitamin and herbal supplements labeled with sunny terms like ‘natural’ and ‘wholesome.’ Pfizer, Unilever, Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline and other big pharmaceutical firms make or sell supplements.” While she does acknowledge there are a few small companies still in the mix, Parramore says they represent a small fraction of the total sales in the $39 billion-a-year supplement industry.”
    I’m sure there ARE bonafide supplements and minerals out there, but it’s finding the buggers, and that is why I supplement through nutrition (for as long as possible before Bill Gates gets his way, that is).
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable" (John F Kennedy - 13th March 1962)
    "The only winning move is not to play" (WarGames 1983)

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th March 2024), Ewan (17th March 2024), Harmony (16th March 2024), leavesoftrees (16th March 2024), pyrangello (17th March 2024), Sue (Ayt) (16th March 2024)

35. Link to Post #98
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,756 times in 2,615 posts

I have noticed most fish oil supplents now have added suphites used as a preservative. Many people have sensitivities to sulphites, and I am one of those. Also other supplelments like MSM often have that same additive, but often written in very small print after the ingeredients so it is almost invisible when checking the ingredients.

In the Touch For Health Kinesiology illustrated spiral backed book with green cover, they dont have meridian points to weaken the heart, but recommend massaging along the bottom of the rib cage to calm the heart. This is one of the small intestine strengthening massage regions which helps balance the heart when needed. It is something to remember and practice when you are away from other help, and easy to do yourself, without causing any harm. It is good to teach others that hike with you incase of problems arising out of the blue, and then others are able to respond if one is not able to themselves. Perhaps it stimulates the vagus nerve ?

It is always a good idea to have a small carton of non-refrigerated coconut water in your backback (make sure it is within the useby date regularly). This contains potassium and other electrolytes as well as a small amount of natural sugars that can bring you very quickly back into balance as they are easy to absorb. I like to bring along a block of organic dark chocolate for pottassium and magnesium as well or a thermos of organic raw cocoa drink mixed up because it is full of over 70 nutritional goodies.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2024), Ewan (17th March 2024), Miller (16th March 2024), pyrangello (17th March 2024), Ravenlocke (16th March 2024)

37. Link to Post #99
    Australia Avalon Member Rosencross's Avatar
    Thanks

In my work (now retired) I would need to be face to face with my patients so I can only speak very generally as everyone is different. Generally, Hawthorn tincture comes to mind and same with things already mentioned. Also slapping the inner side of the elbow is used in Chinese medicine with heart attacks as it stimulates the energy of the blood to push the heart back into rhythm. The heart is not a pump but more of a regulator of flow to work harmoniously with the breathing process.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rosencross For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2024), Ewan (17th March 2024), Harmony (16th March 2024), Miller (16th March 2024), pyrangello (17th March 2024), Ravenlocke (16th March 2024)

39. Link to Post #100
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,256 times in 2,177 posts

What are all the optimum general heart health supplements? I take CoQ10, fish oil, and C60, as well as magnesium and all kinds of other minerals and vitamins.
    Bill, I have read numerous people stating that Fish Oil/Omega 3 supplements are not healthy. I personally do not know enough to make a call on it but it might be something worth researching a little more.

Note the post below mentions cardiovascular disease.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th March 2024), Miller (17th March 2024), pyrangello (17th March 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast