1. Link to Post #61
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Default Re: Communism (and China)

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Catsquotl (here)
    Maybe we should give anarchy a try.
    Right. Someone should try to organize that.

Damn, that's funny. It reminds me of the Association of Non-aligned Nations. Seriously. It's a thing!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2020), ClearWater (12th July 2020), De Christu (28th March 2021), Franny (11th July 2020), Matthew (20th July 2020), silvanelf (15th July 2020)

3. Link to Post #62
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by spade (here)
    Hi gracy may - https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3881683
    “Chinese woman describes Wuhan virus patients being burned alive
    Video shows Chinese woman describe Wuhan coronavirus patients being stuffed into body bags and burned alive”
    I'm calling B.S. on this and a heads up on not using Taiwan as a source of information for what should be obvious reasons.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Matthew (11th July 2020), silvanelf (12th July 2020)

5. Link to Post #63
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Justjane (here)
    Quote Posted by Constance (here)

Has anyone here actually lived through or known anyone who has experienced communism?
    Yep. I personally know people who have lived through it. I've been regailed with horrific stories regarding imprisonment, rape, torture and abuse. Not a whole bunch of creativity going on there, just a whole bunch of suffering.
    Interesting. My ex partner is Lithuanian which was part of the USSR. He has a very different impression. I imagine that people have an entire range of experiences under various types of rule. My point is, we shouldn’t be generalising or taking our cues from popular culture.
    A good friend of mine grew up in Hungary. She says Communism was dull, but everybody had a job, a roof over their heads and many had a summer place out in the country.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Has anyone here actually lived through or known anyone who has experienced communism?
    Yep. I personally know people who have lived through it. I've been regailed with horrific stories regarding imprisonment, rape, torture and abuse. Not a whole bunch of creativity going on there, just a whole bunch of suffering.
    Sounds like an American prison.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

De Christu (28th March 2021), Justjane (11th July 2020), silvanelf (12th July 2020), Wind (12th July 2020)

7. Link to Post #64
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,102 times in 4,060 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Hi gracy may - https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3881683
    “Chinese woman describes Wuhan virus patients being burned alive
    Video shows Chinese woman describe Wuhan coronavirus patients being stuffed into body bags and burned alive”
    I'm calling B.S. on this and a heads up on not using Taiwan as a source of information for what should be obvious reasons.
    It does sound too horrible to be true. It is hard to tell without independent journalism in China, and I could easily call a similar heads up about China's human rights record

8. Link to Post #65
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Yoyoyo,

I don't think, as Westerners we can know what their human rights record really is. Likely not great. But who are we comparing to. The human rights record of the U.S. is probably the worst in the world, both domestically and foreign affairs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Matthew (11th July 2020)

10. Link to Post #66
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,102 times in 4,060 posts

Somehow we get counter-establishment news, and any murderous streak from our local governments.. well, in my case David Icke lived to publish books, so I'm not saying there's no problem but inde journalism, or whistleblowing is snuffed out in China more quickly by any account I can find

11. Link to Post #67
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Someone wise once told me this :

"The only time communism ever works is in the context of a nuclear family". - and he was right! I think it was designed that way.

All the children get a standardized allowance, and everything is a shared resource within the nuclear family. Beyond the family it is a little more difficult.

The furthest applications of communism also works for the military or in the context of a school where most of the students are of the same financial background in society.

Anything beyond these contexts of institutionalized implementation is a disaster waiting to happen. To apply it to whole nations is tyranny. China is horrific (all the wealth in concentrated into the CCP). Any talk against the CCP is directly flagged by AI as dissent on your phone and lowers your social credit score. Millions are unable to travel nowadays due to their social credit score. No doubt millions were culled under the context of coronavirus without having covid. too many thrown alive into the cremation chambers. Communism in full swinging action right before your eyes.
    Any model can divulge into tyranny. What you’re describing is totalitarianism not communism.

And you know that China isn’t communist right? It has a stratified society. That should be the first giveaway....

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Kamikaze (here)
    Quote Posted by Kamikaze (here)

That’s funny, because if you’d read my missives you would discover that I said it was human nature that would preclude communism from ever working, that until the world experienced a mass spiritual awakening, the entire movement would be dead.

But okay.
    Playing around huh. So why promote it? You already acknowledge it's fiction. Or you trying to change human nature? That the grand plan I'm missing? Like trying to break a law of nature.
    Seems it not possible to have anything come out from you like others of your kind. Deflection, games and others. It's tiring going around in circles when trying to involve your kind.

Manipulation is a nature you love to invoke. <-that evil
    I'll say no more, already said to much, never good to read stuff from you folks in a ill mood.
    This is odd. What do you mean by "her kind" and also, what is your experience with Communism, you are in Sweden? Tell us more about that, so we understand why you have strong feelings about this.
    Basically her posts reflected 100%, a mirror what the Head & Leader of the "LEFT" communists in this country talk about in their representation and political talk.

~snip~ [got a long winding post but deleted it]

They are not pleasant people to deal with in person.

You are scared to "SILENCE" because life is more convenient that way.
    Don't make a hassle, period.

If you have them at a workplace you don't want to work alongside them. They will leave all the work for others to do and fix. They stall and waste time, getting nothing done while talking all nice about "ideals".
    You have to do the work of 2x people with them involved.

My personal experience? I used to have to do this persons work and mine way to often when he up and went home because of some small sniffle or issue. And when he was present? Still had to do 1.5X work to get things done in time every day.

If a higher person in the echelons of these kind found wind of the political associations of the workforce I was in my last workplace there would be blood on the streets. Literally every person that went and did some time there would be in prison if they asked the Leader of the LEFT here. But that would be about a whole town of people, it's fun when the other half are their beloved immigrants and they take the locals side on the issues in general.

These "Nazis" work next back to back with the lefts beloved topic, immigrants in everyday life and cause no trouble but maybe not talking too much with each other. The issue? They are lazy and want them to talk their native language, they don't want to bother doing otherwise. Those who speak well are treated like their own.
    You would be in amazement that the immigrants and the "right" have more in common in general than they have with the left around here.
    Oh. So you had an experience with a person. We must all be the same then.

12. Link to Post #68
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    I think you’re confusing communism with totalitarianism.[COLOR="red"]
    Well not really, the two go hand-in-hand, that's the problem. The reason for that is: humans. The wider the bureaucracy (which communism requires to function) the more powerful the state becomes, and the more powerful the state the steeper the tilt towards totalitarianism. That's exactly what history has shown, time and again. I'm not critiquing the political, social, or the economic 'theory' of communism, merely the trend it follows to final conclusion, which is implosion - into bankruptcy, insurgency and revolution, or at the far end of the scale genocide.

I think this is a very difficult discussion. Whatever merits there are "on paper" in the communist system, and there are some, they do not translate in reality. They just don't. The history proves it. Democracy doesn't work all that much better either, it too is different on paper than in reality, because of the exact same common denominators - invariably being elitism, the lust for power and the struggle for control. Our western democracies are waist deep in corruption, evil and greed. It's just a more behind the curtain type of totalitarianism. You may say then that capitalism is the problem. It isn't. It's still, and always, corruption, evil and greed in the system.

It was definitely not what the ancient Greeks had in mind when they formulated the first democracy, which they called "δημοκρατία", or demos-kratos meaning people-rule. For the first time it wrested power from the clutches of a despot, a king, and handed it to the people. I still believe it is the best model there is, having the most checks and balances to prevent abuse. Of course the 'elites' toil endlessly to navigate their way around those checks and balances and to stay hidden in the shadows -- but at least they keep to those shadows. We in the west have the very best of it compared to the rest of the world, perhaps the best in all human history, with the exception of ancient days when we lived in harmony alongside nature. In our modern, technologically sophisticated world, and with 7billion+ of us to look after, democracy - people-rule - is the best chance we have, if only the corrupt, the greedy, and the evil could be removed completely from the equation.
    They don’t go hand in hand. Totalitarian dictators have used communism to further their own ends. Totalitarian dictators generally use anything they can to further their own ends. Since communism seeks to support the people the most it’s not really a surprise that it has been used against said people.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Love Noam Chomsky and love this vid. What he’s describing is anarcho communism.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

Catsquotl (12th July 2020)

14. Link to Post #69
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Interesting. My ex partner is Lithuanian which was part of the USSR. He has a very different impression. I imagine that people have an entire range of experiences under various types of rule. My point is, we shouldn’t be generalising or taking our cues from popular culture.
    A good friend of mine grew up in Hungary. She says Communism was dull, but everybody had a job, a roof over their heads and many had a summer place out in the country.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Sounds like an American prison.
    I can't comment on that because the only person I know from the USA who has done time (he was convicted of marijuana trafficking and possession) I lost contact with.

But no, it was Vietnam. In Australia, they were called, the "Boat people".

In 1989 when I visited Czechoslovakia, communism was just in the throws of being dismantled. These were my impressions and personal experiences whilst there.

Upon my first arriving by train into Prague, it was eerie standing on the platform. It wasn't like any other train platform that I had visited, not the usual hub bub my travelling eyes and ears were used to. It was hushed and quiet, even though it was busy. The atmosphere felt heavy and depressed. I felt like I had suddenly stepped into the twilight zone.

As soon as we had started to walk towards the exit, myself and others were surrounded by the local Czechs. All held up crudely written signs in english inviting us to stay with them. There was one woman in particular that caught my attention. She was a tiny slip of a woman. She was so eager to have us stay and pulled at my sleeve gently, her english non-existent. But we understood each other. She looked so ill and tired and worn out. My heart went out to her.

The person I was travelling with agreed with me that we should stay with her, and so we followed her. At one point, we were walking down one of the Old Town streets. Again I was struck by how busy it was on both sides of the street but how quiet it was! When we finally got to the womans house at the edge of the city, she warmly invited us in.

Her apartment was tiny and sparsely furnished. The furniture also looked tired and worn out. She was living in abject poverty. She showed us to our bedroom and we placed our things in there.
    I soon realised that this was the only bedroom in the house and when she showed us the kitchen, there was a tiny cot in the corner of that tiny kitchen. That tiny cot was to be her bed whilst we stayed there.
    I was resolved not to take her bedroom from her and I signalled to her that we would sleep in the kitchen on the floor (we were equipped for that) but she was having none of it. We both felt terribly guilty about sleeping in her bedroom but what to do? She needed the money...

When my friend and I went out the next day on a food expedition, we were struck by the odd juxtaposition of the Old Town Prague in all its ancient beauty and the newer communist-built blocks of buildings alongside.

The Old Town buildings had been spared of any war time bombings. They were beautifully handcrafted, slightly worse for wear, but solidly built. The newer buildings on the outside perimeter of the Old Town were a sharp contrast; ugly, grey and uniform. There were rows upon rows of the same buildings stretching as far as the eyes could see.

We entered a few stores looking for food. I was surprised to see how little was available in the way of fresh produce. Not much in there for a vegetarian! There were cabbages and potatoes and that was it.

There was not a supermarket in sight. Instead, you would walk into a store where rows of cans of food were displayed in a long glass cabinet behind the serving counter and you had to line up and point to what cans you wanted. It all felt completely surreal. The walls and floors were void of any kind of decorations and the atmosphere was very depressing.
    Last edited by Constance; 12th July 2020 at 07:29. Reason: grammar needed correcting

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Agape (13th August 2020), Baby Steps (13th July 2020), Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), ClearWater (12th July 2020), De Christu (28th March 2021), Franny (11th July 2020), Jayke (12th July 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th July 2020), Mashika (13th August 2020), Michelle (12th July 2020), Wind (12th July 2020)

16. Link to Post #70
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

If I can live free in Nature like a wild bird, I do not support the corrupted system involuntarily.

One individual is weak against the group. All political system invented by humans require group decision. Once unlimited power is concentrated to the group of people, corruption of the society, class division, chaos, injustice, and labor / resource exploitation as form of slavery emerges. I had witnessed that less than few hundred military gangs ruled the country of fifty million people over four decades.

If every member of the society becomes a superhuman, communism can be formed.
    For free society!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Constance (11th July 2020), De Christu (28th March 2021)

18. Link to Post #71
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 times in 506 posts

Anarcho syndycalism really.. Which is different from communism.
    Alexander Berkman's book describes it in more detail..

I have contemplated to put the book in Constance's empowerment thread. It has shaped the way I think and feel about politics and what could be possible tremendously.
    I guess the word Anarchy is still wildly misunderstood.

With Love

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Post:

Jayke (12th July 2020), Matthew (12th July 2020)

20. Link to Post #72
    Great Britain Avalon Member Baby Steps's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,660 times in 1,521 posts

So I asked my friend to describe his early life experience of Communism in Eastern Europe, he stayed with us after defecting just before the wall came down.

What he is describing is late stage communism in a relatively prosperous country where the state functioned fairly well..

Quote So you could grow up, get married, have children, etc, but sooner or later as your career progressed you would be expected to make sincere public declarations to the Communist party, including loyalty to the Soviet Union, and ideological compliance. If you did not do this, your career would not progress. So success and living standards depended on being seen to toe the line. Additional advantages were gained through your own connections within the Party.

It was all about who you knew, what favours you rendered, etc.

If you declared your loyalties, but there was any suspicion that you did not really mean it, things would go badly for you, so really, if you were pretending, it was important to make a very good performance.

If you joked or criticised the party or the state, you would go to prison for a minimum of 6 months, and afterwards, you would be unable to return to your profession, you would have to take menial work, and it would severely affect your family & their prospects.

Surveillance and fear was dominant. In those days it was less tech based, although we were listened to and watched. There was a network of informers, and people often found that comments were reported to the state, even if people had been very careful to protect themselves. Behaviour and compliance was included in your file, not just police file, but also the personnel file that moved with you in your employment. Therefore the CP used the employer to police and coerce its staff in terms of ideology, behaviour etc.

These societies had an ecosystem of Artists and writers however these people's careers and platforms were only allowed as long as they toed the party line.

The whole state functioned on this intimidation & control, including bribery for everything.(in various forms)

The Soviet Union dictated to Eastern Europe on industrial strategy and economic planning. Eastern European countries that wished to make more & better things were prevented from doing so if those products would affect Soviet production.

If course there were good things such as totally free Health care, dentistry & Education.
    Last edited by Baby Steps; 13th July 2020 at 22:28.
    we have subcontracted the business of healing people to Companies who profit from sickness.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baby Steps For This Post:

Constance (12th July 2020), De Christu (28th March 2021), Jayke (12th July 2020), silvanelf (12th July 2020)

22. Link to Post #73
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

delete.... "impolite"
    Last edited by Kamikaze; 12th July 2020 at 21:24.

23. Link to Post #74
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

For reference in this thread.

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    Quote Posted by section9 (here)
    Quote Posted by YoYoYo (here)

The media is supporting division and sensationalism, not BLM, BLM was just the movement that happened to gain momentum at the time. Most of the protests are peaceful. Most aspects of the movement are benign. But that doesn’t sell news stories so 💁🏻‍♀️
    Early supporters of BLM seemed like beautiful peaceful people, but the movement itself... I personally can't believe they just dropped Marxist training in at the last minute. Somehow I bet they had this lined up, ready to pull in innocent, well meaning people. I don't invest the same good faith into BLM the organisation as you do
    What’s the Marxist training you’re referring to?
    Susan Rosenberg and several of the other BLM organizers came from the Weather Underground of the 1960’s - 70’s. Rosenberg’s Domestic Terrorism conviction was pardoned by Bill Clinton on his last day in office. She went about organizing for one of the various Soros Front outfits, Thousand Talents, which supervises BLM’s operations and fundraising. She and several others in the leadership claim to be “Trained Marxists”.

Not that that actually applies to what we are talking about in this thread, which is jumping timelines. In the larger scheme of things, BLM is utterly unimportant. They always were just a Rich Man’s Trick. Same with Antifa, which has become something of a bugaboo in Right Wing Circles.

It will take our friends on both the Left and Right some time to get that. Of course, anyone passingly familiar with the manipulation of the American media after the successful Putsch against JFK already knows this.
    THANK YOU! Loaded post connecting very significant dots giving the birds eye view above BLM.

No matter the intentions we should never sell out to violent terrorists to get the job done.

SUSAN ROSENBURG -  Activist who believes violence and terror is a means to an end.

Joined the May 19th Communist Organization, which worked in support of the Black Liberation Army and its offshoots (including assistance in armored truck robberies), the Weather Underground and other revolutionary organizations.

.  Rosenberg was sentenced to 58 years' imprisonment on the weapons and explosives charges.

. Inarcerated in 1984 for domestic terror in U.S.

.  Sentence commuted by Clinton 2001.

2020 - Currently Vice Chair of THOUSAND CURRENTS.

THOUSAND CURRENTS https://thousandcurrents.org/what-we-do/

Organization overseeing grassroots movements e.g. Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice, etc.

Quote https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...t-group-191037
    Extracts:

The group was also the first American terrorist group entirely organized and led by women. Women picked the targets, made the bombs and implanted the devices. It was a new sisterhood of the bomb and the gun. “We lived in a country that loved violence,” one member said. “We had to meet it on its own terms.”

The Weather Underground Organization—among the most notorious U.S. terrorist formations of the 1970s—has been the subject of documentaries, memoirs and countless academic studies. But May 19th is long forgotten. This is remarkable given the group’s string of violent and spectacular operations from 1979 to 1985: armed robberies that led to the murder of police officers and security guards, audacious prison breakouts and a bombing campaign that in addition to the U.S. Capitol targeted government buildings in Washington and New York.

Three central figures in May 19th illustrate this generational political trajectory: Judy Clark, Marilyn Buck and Susan Rosenberg. Clark was a classic “red diaper” baby, the daughter of high-level Communist Party, USA, functionaries in New York

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Baby Steps (12th July 2020), Constance (13th July 2020), Jayke (12th July 2020), Matthew (12th July 2020)

25. Link to Post #75
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

They don’t go hand in hand. Totalitarian dictators have used communism to further their own ends.
    "Totalitarians used communism to further their ends", yet they don't go hand in hand? They go hand in hand, because totalitarians use communism to further their own ends... Basically, it provides the perfect soil for totalitarianism to flourish, which is why communism doesn't and will never work. Your contradictory statement illustrates the reality exactly – and proves my original point.

Anarcho syndycalism really..
    Anarcho syndicalist commune.. classic!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Catsquotl (12th July 2020), Hym (12th July 2020), skogvokter (13th July 2020)

27. Link to Post #76
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

And you know that China isn’t communist right? It has a stratified society. That should be the first giveaway....[COLOR="red"]
    You have got to get your head out of the sand... China NOT communist? I'm afraid they have perfected communism. You see truly successful communists understand the value of creating the illusion of "choice" (false freedom) and manipulating humans to achieve their complete and ultimate agendas. The failed states like the the USSR, Nicaragua, (Cuba?), NK, didn't know the value of that, they didn't have Sun Tsu, Confucius and Saul Alinsky's manifesto mixed into the philosophy and couldn't reconcile the economic disasters waiting to happen with just Marxist doctrine alone.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

Hym (12th July 2020), skogvokter (13th July 2020)

29. Link to Post #77
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

And you know that China isn’t communist right? It has a stratified society. That should be the first giveaway....[COLOR="red"]
    You have got to get your head out of the sand... China NOT communist? I'm afraid they have perfected communism. You see truly successful communists understand the value of creating the illusion of "choice" (false freedom) and manipulating humans to achieve their complete and ultimate agendas.
    It's obvious that your are using your own definition of the word "communism." Here is the usual definition of the word "communism" according to the Encyclopedia Britannica:

Quote Communism, political and economic doctrine that aims to replace private property and a profit-based economy with public ownership and communal control of at least the major means of production (e.g., mines, mills, and factories) and the natural resources of a society.
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/communism[/QUOTE]

In this way, China has a socialist-capitalist economy.

... the illusion of "choice" (false freedom) and manipulating humans to achieve their complete and ultimate agendas

This sounds like a description of the U.S. elections, the "choice" between Reps and Dems.

30. Link to Post #78
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    They don’t go hand in hand. Totalitarian dictators have used communism to further their own ends.
    "Totalitarians used communism to further their ends", yet they don't go hand in hand? They go hand in hand, because totalitarians use communism to further their own ends... Basically, it provides the perfect soil for totalitarianism to flourish, which is why communism doesn't and will never work. Your contradictory statement illustrates the reality exactly – and proves my original point.

Anarcho syndycalism really..
    Anarcho syndicalist commune.. classic!

Dictators have used all kinds of political models to further their owns ends. Look at the Middle East and Africa. Communism is but one.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by silvanelf (here)

You have got to get your head out of the sand... China NOT communist? I'm afraid they have perfected communism. You see truly successful communists understand the value of creating the illusion of "choice" (false freedom) and manipulating humans to achieve their complete and ultimate agendas.
    It's obvious that your are using your own definition of the word "communism." Here is the usual definition of the word "communism" according to the Encyclopedia Britannica:

Quote Communism, political and economic doctrine that aims to replace private property and a profit-based economy with public ownership and communal control of at least the major means of production (e.g., mines, mills, and factories) and the natural resources of a society.
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/communism
    In this way, China has a socialist-capitalist economy.

... the illusion of "choice" (false freedom) and manipulating humans to achieve their complete and ultimate agendas

This sounds like a description of the U.S. elections, the "choice" between Reps and Dems.[/QUOTE]

Spade likes making up his own definitions for things. It’s the only way he can justify his viewpoint of the world.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Justjane For This Post:

silvanelf (12th July 2020)

32. Link to Post #79
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Perhaps it is both..

Is China a Capitalist or Communist Country?

...So, after the enormous economic and social changes he unleashed can we best describe China as a Communist country with a veneer of market economics or is it a capitalist country with a nominally Communist government? Perhaps it is both: ‘state capitalism’ with a framework of Communist party rule...

For more of this article, read here

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2020), De Christu (28th March 2021)

34. Link to Post #80
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

In 1989 when I visited Czechoslovakia, communism was just in the throws of being dismantled. These were my impressions and personal experiences whilst there.

Upon my first arriving by train into Prague, it was eerie standing on the platform. It wasn't like any other train platform that I had visited, not the usual hub bub my travelling eyes and ears were used to. It was hushed and quiet, even though it was busy. The atmosphere felt heavy and depressed. I felt like I had suddenly stepped into the twilight zone.

As soon as we had started to walk towards the exit, myself and others were surrounded by the local Czechs. All held up crudely written signs in english inviting us to stay with them. There was one woman in particular that caught my attention. She was a tiny slip of a woman. She was so eager to have us stay and pulled at my sleeve gently, her english non-existent. But we understood each other. She looked so ill and tired and worn out. My heart went out to her.

The person I was travelling with agreed with me that we should stay with her, and so we followed her. At one point, we were walking down one of the Old Town streets. Again I was struck by how busy it was on both sides of the street but how quiet it was! When we finally got to the womans house at the edge of the city, she warmly invited us in.

Her apartment was tiny and sparsely furnished. The furniture also looked tired and worn out. She was living in abject poverty. She showed us to our bedroom and we placed our things in there.
    I soon realised that this was the only bedroom in the house and when she showed us the kitchen, there was a tiny cot in the corner of that tiny kitchen. That tiny cot was to be her bed whilst we stayed there.
    I was resolved not to take her bedroom from her and I signalled to her that we would sleep in the kitchen on the floor (we were equipped for that) but she was having none of it. We both felt terribly guilty about sleeping in her bedroom but what to do? She needed the money...

When my friend and I went out the next day on a food expedition, we were struck by the odd juxtaposition of the Old Town Prague in all its ancient beauty and the newer communist-built blocks of buildings alongside.

The Old Town buildings had been spared of any war time bombings. They were beautifully handcrafted, slightly worse for wear, but solidly built. The newer buildings on the outside perimeter of the Old Town were a sharp contrast; ugly, grey and uniform. There were rows upon rows of the same buildings stretching as far as the eyes could see.

We entered a few stores looking for food. I was surprised to see how little was available in the way of fresh produce. Not much in there for a vegetarian! There were cabbages and potatoes and that was it.

There was not a supermarket in sight. Instead, you would walk into a store where rows of cans of food were displayed in a long glass cabinet behind the serving counter and you had to line up and point to what cans you wanted. It all felt completely surreal. The walls and floors were void of any kind of decorations and the atmosphere was very depressing.
    Miserable but equal...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Dictators have used all kinds of political models to further their owns ends. Look at the Middle East and Africa. Communism is but one.[COLOR="red"]
    How does one go about creating a communist society that doesn't become a dictatorship?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Constance (13th July 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 4 12 LastLast