Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Culture (Examples)

1. Link to Post #241
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Default Re: Cancel Culture (Examples)

This is what happens when the cancel culture goes unchecked and runs its course. The fact that these ideologies are already being implemented in schools across America is beyond alarming.

Virginia mom who survived Maoist China eviscerates school board's critical race theory push

Xi Van Fleet said Cultural Revolution began when she was 6, pitted students against one another and their teachers

A Virginia mom who endured Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution before immigrating to the U.S. ripped a Virginia school board at a public meeting Tuesday over its stubborn support of the controversial critical race theory.

"I’ve been very alarmed by what’s going on in our schools," Xi Van Fleet told the Loudoun County School Board members. "You are now teaching, training our children to be social justice warriors and to loathe our country and our history."

She likened CRT, which critics deride as a form of "neo-racism," to China’s Cultural Revolution, a Mao-led purge that left between 500,000 and 20 million people dead from 1966 to 1976. The estimates vary greatly and many details have been shrouded in secrecy for decades.

Van Fleet, whose son graduated from Loudoun High School in 2015, shared some of her experience growing up in China’s Sichuan province with Fox News exclusively Wednesday evening.

The Cultural Revolution began when she was 6 years old, she said, and immediately pitted students and teachers and against one another by hanging "Big Posters" in hallways and the cafeteria where students could write criticisms against anyone deemed ideologically impure.

"One of the teachers was considered bourgeoisie because she liked to wear pretty clothes," Van Fleet said. "So the students attacked her and spit on her. She was covered with spit… and pretty soon it became violence."

Quote To me, and to a lot of Chinese, it is heartbreaking that we escaped communism and now we experience communism here.

Communist squads would raid homes and destroy any relics of China’s past culture, history, governments or religion, she said.

"Everything that was considered ‘old,’ feudalist, a vase, Buddhas, everything was taken out and smashed," she said.

There were thought crimes, too.

"We were asked to report if we hear anything about someone saying anything showing that there's a lack of complete loyalty to Mao," she said. "There were people reporting their parents, and their parents ended up in jail."

At 26 years old, she said, she finally made it out, traveling to the U.S. – where she immediately found freedoms she had never been able to enjoy before.

"I felt like it’s such a free country, meaning I have free access to all sorts of information – books on both sides of the issues," she said.

In the current political and cultural climate in the U.S., however, she said she felt some of that freedom eroding.

"I can’t really just say what I mean, even though the other side can say whatever," she said. "To me, and to a lot of Chinese, it is heartbreaking that we escaped communism and now we experience communism here."

In her speech to the school board, which officials made her shorten to fit the one-minute limit, she drew direct parallels between what she saw back then in China and what she sees in the United States today.

"The Communist regime used the same critical theory to divide people," she said. "The only difference is they used class instead of race."

Quote I just want Americans to know that their privilege is to be here living in America, that is just the biggest privilege.

She said she witnessed students and teachers "turn against each other" during the pogrom and saw schools change their names "to be politically correct."

"We were taught to denounce our heritage, and Red Guards destroyed anything that is not communist…statues, books and anything else," she continued. "We were also encouraged to report on each other, just like the Student Equity Ambassador program and the bias reporting system."

Quote "This is indeed the American version of the Chinese Cultural Revolution," she said. "The critical race theory has its roots in cultural Marxism. It should have no place in our school."

Her speech came 246 years after fellow Virginian Patrick Henry declared "Give me liberty or give me death" during the Second Virginia Convention in Richmond, 125 miles to the south of Loudoun.

"I just want Americans to know that their privilege is to be here living in America, that is just the biggest privilege," Van Fleet said over the phone Wednesday. "I do not think a lot of people understand. They are thinking they are doing the right thing, ‘be against racism’ sounds really good. But they are basically breaking the system that is against racism."

Quote One of the teachers was considered bourgeoisie because she liked to wear pretty clothes. So the students attacked her and spit on her.

The Loudoun County school board has doubled down on its embrace of left-wing policies, including CRT, in recent months.

Illustrating Van Fleet’s point, a group of Loudoun County parents and teachers were accused of "racketeering" and intimidating conservative parents who raised questions about the radical proposals. Members of the "Anti-Racist Parents of Loudoun County" allegedly compiled a list of outspoken conservatives in their community in order to track, hack and "doxx" them – or even scare them into self-censorship, according to David Gordon, director of the Virginia Project, a Republican PAC.

Earlier this week, a judge ordered the district to reinstate suspended elementary school phys ed teacher Byron "Tanner" Cross after he was punished for speaking his mind during the public comment portion of a hearing on new transgender policies last month.

Cross declared that he wouldn't "affirm that a biological boy can be a girl and vice versa because it's against my religion. It's lying to a child, it's abuse to a child, and it's sinning against our God."

He was speaking out against a district policy proposal that would require teachers and other school staff to address "gender-expansive or transgender students" with their preferred name, pronouns and gender.

Ian Prior, the father of two students attending Loudoun schools, said Van Fleet’s remarks to the school board "should serve as a stark warning" Wednesday.

"I think for a while now, school systems have really put this stuff in the schools right under our very noses, and we just weren’t aware," he said. "When your kids go to school and you let them go through those doors, you’re trusting the school system to do the job that they’re’ supposed to do…And it took a pandemic and all the information that parents could see with this distance learning to understand exactly what was going on."

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...lution-loudoun

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2021), Eva2 (10th June 2021), Ewan (10th June 2021), Franny (25th June 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (11th June 2021), Matthew (10th June 2021), Victoria (11th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #242
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,187 times in 4,071 posts

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th June 2021), Eva2 (23rd June 2021), Ewan (11th June 2021), Franny (25th June 2021), Pam (23rd June 2021), rgray222 (11th June 2021), Tintin (23rd June 2021), Victoria (11th June 2021)

5. Link to Post #243
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,593 times in 5,411 posts

(I've downloaded the audio/video and will store it in the library somewhere sensible later.)

Many sound arguments made in the piece with the prevailing theme centering around compelled speech.

----------

Source: The FIRE

By Daniel Burnett and Sabrina Conza
    June 22, 2021

Do you question whether refusing to use preferred pronouns is hate speech? You can’t — writing on that topic is “not acceptable.”

Think Black Lives Matter shouldn’t engage in property destruction? We’ll have to “re-adjust” your thinking.

If you’re a student at the University of Oklahoma — congratulations! Your instructor may already have done all of the thinking for you. But beware: Deviating too far from an instructor’s personal opinions can cost you.

A recording of an “Anti-Racist Rhetoric & Pedagogies” workshop acquired by FIRE raises alarm bells about the state of free expression and freedom of conscience at Oklahoma’s flagship university.

The workshop in question trains instructors on how to eliminate disfavored but constitutionally protected expression from the classroom and guide assignments and discussion into preferred areas — all for unambiguously ideological and viewpoint-based reasons. FIRE’s concerns are further compounded by the University of Oklahoma’s brazen and unconstitutional track record of putting individual rights out to pasture.

(We are also linking to the full video and providing timestamps of the sections we discuss. We encourage readers to watch the full workshop.)

The workshop
    “Anti-Racist Rhetoric and Pedagogies” is one of nine professional development workshops for instructors and grad students at OU. Held on April 14, it featured three faculty presenters teaching instructors how to foster an anti-racist environment in their classrooms. But it’s not just racism the presenters encourage participants to root out.

One of the workshop leaders, Kelli Pyron Alvarez, explained in the recording how undergraduate students in one of her introductory English courses are “a little bit more emboldened to be racist” (17:17). To combat this, she forbids huge swaths of classroom speech, including “derogatory remarks, critiques, and hate speech,” as well as “white supremacist ideas or sources,” unless the student is using those sources to dismantle racism.

If you are wondering what sources or ideas are off limits because they fall into Pyron Alvarez’s subjective categories of white supremacist sources or “derogatory remarks” — well, she never specifies, so you should be.

Making a mistake can cost you: “If they use any of those things, if any of those come through in their writing or in their comments, I will call them out on it.” (18:20)

And if it happens again, “report them.”

Imagine being an OU student who is “reported,” presumably to the administration, simply for your choice of text to analyze or what sources you include in a bibliography.

Undergraduate students — the supposedly emboldened “racists” — in ENGL 1213 – Principles of English Composition, are apparently supposed to choose their own research topics, but the faculty conducting the training show the participants how they might lead students not only to topics the instructors find appropriate, but also to the side of the argument that the instructors prefer.

Fairly early in the training, Pyron Alvarez addresses the potential reluctance faculty members might have toward putting a heavy hand on student speech. “One of the fears is that we’re going to get in trouble for this, right?,” she says. “Like we can’t tell students that they can’t say something in class. But we can! And let me tell you how.” (17:45)

Pyron Alvarez’ fellow workshop leader Kasey Woody later goes into some detail on how instructors can “steer” students away from “problematic territory” to accomplish this. (46:01)

“I, in this case, usually look for my students who might be, like, entertaining the idea of listening to a problematic argument. Then I say, ‘we don’t have to listen to that.’” (45:45)

That’s right — even thinking about listening to a disfavored argument is apparently to be discouraged.

Woody later reassures the instructors that they won’t face consequences for censoring students: “You do not need to worry about repercussions at any degree in the university if you are responding to a student who is using problematic language in the classroom.” (49:42)

And who gives them the green light to censor OU students? According to Pyron Alvarez, that permission comes from the highest court in the country.

“The Supreme Court has actually upheld that hate speech, derogatory speech, any of the -isms do not apply in the classroom because they do not foster a productive learning environment. And so, as instructors we can tell our students: ‘no, you do not have the right to say that. Stop talking right now’, right?” (20:05)

Education versus indoctrination
    To be sure, faculty members have expansive academic freedom rights, and FIRE spends a lot of time defending those rights. They have wide latitude to manage the atmosphere and tone of the classroom. This may include inhibiting some student expression in class by directing classroom discussions, prompting students to write on topics of the instructor’s choosing, and preventing students from disrupting the class or talking out of turn. As my colleague Peter Bonilla explains:

"[S]tudents should be treated fairly and equitably by their professors. They shouldn’t expect that professors won’t sometimes disagree, even vociferously, with their beliefs, but they do have the right to expect that professors won’t punish students academically on that basis (which has happened). Students don’t have the right to avoid demonstrating proficiency with concepts they disagree with, but they do have a right not to be compelled to hold specific political beliefs as a condition for receiving academic credit."(which has also happened).

Professors cannot abuse their power to require students to personally adhere to a particular viewpoint or ideology. As the AAUP has written, instructors have academic freedom of “instruction, not indoctrination.” It can be hard to define precisely where this line falls, but there’s no question that a significant amount of this workshop teaches participants how to indoctrinate instead of how to instruct.

As FIRE’s Guide to First-Year Orientation and Thought Reform on Campus explains:
    "By limiting classroom discussion and silencing dissent, professors violate the rights of conscience of their students. The clear aim is not merely to advocate a point of view but to coerce, if necessary, their students into believing the professor’s or school’s version of truth. Such oppressive actions clearly cross the line between education and indoctrination."
    The message being sent to the instructors and graduate students attending this workshop is not simply that they have academic freedom rights to direct discussion in the classroom and to prevent disruption. It is that a legitimate basis for exercising that control is to suppress viewpoints not shared by the instructor, under the guise of civility or the avoidance of ill-defined “hate speech.” Indeed, the workshop leaders conflate disagreement with disruption to such an extent that they call it a valid reason for reporting students for discipline.

‘You need to pick something else. You’re not doing that.’
    Some of the responses from workshop participants indicated that they understood how what they were being told to do was out of the ordinary, and expressed reservations about it. One workshop participant asked whether instructors are doing a disservice to their students by censoring certain topics. The participant asked how to identify problematic arguments and whether, for example, a student should be able to examine if the Black Lives Matter movement should refrain from property damage. In response, Pyron Alvarez suggests telling students to “re-adjust” their topic if they’re “bordering” on being offensive. (53:05)

That’s not advice on what arguments might be effective — that’s “advice” on what arguments are politically acceptable.

Another participant asked what rights instructors are supposed to respect. (You will no doubt be shocked to hear that freedom of speech or conscience is not found in the workshop leaders’ answer.) Asked what they should do if, for example, a cisgender student wanted to examine arguments about the use of someone’s preferred pronouns, Woody focuses on “leading them” away from wanting to even debate the issue, because, she suggests, the stakes aren’t as high for a cisgender student. She advises instructors to sit the student down and “have a conversation — and be kind with the student about it — but help kind of lead them.” (57:30)

Pyron Alvarez has a distinctly different answer.

“I’m not so kind,” she responds. “If they’re writing and their goal is like ‘Oh, I should be able to use whatever pronouns I deem acceptable for this person despite how they identify,’ then they are invalidating that person’s humanity and their existence. And that’s not acceptable. So I flat out tell them that. This is what this is doing. You need to pick something else. You’re not doing that.”

Again, this is not education about argumentation. This is telling students what topics are “acceptable” to argue about. And this is supposed to be for a class that focuses on analyzing “effective argumentative discourse.”

Interestingly, Pyron Alvarez also noted that last semester, none of her students pushed back against her method of teaching. But in a classroom where “acceptable” opinions are delineated by an instructor’s personal beliefs — and the consequence for stepping beyond those bounds is being reported to the administration — it’s not really a surprise.

[Article continues......]
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd June 2021), Eva2 (25th June 2021), Ewan (24th June 2021), Franny (25th June 2021), Pam (23rd June 2021), rgray222 (24th June 2021)

7. Link to Post #244
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,088 times in 20,639 posts

Jailed Murderer Wins Public Office in D.C. Election with Five Inmate Candidates from Same Prison
    JUNE 22, 2021
    JUDICIAL WATCH

(Not sure if this is the right thread for the article. Maybe we need a new thread for "Most Cringeworthy News:. This would surely qualify.)

https://www.judicialwatch.org/corrup...20210623183557

"As the homicide rate hits a record high in Washington D.C. the city elects a convicted murderer to public office in a unique election featuring all inmate candidates. The freshly elected public official, Joel Caston, has been in prison 26 years and is currently incarcerated at the District of Columbia Jail. In 1996 Caston was convicted by a jury of first-degree murder for ambushing and killing a man in the city’s Anacostia neighborhood. Court records obtained by Judicial Watch indicate that a 2016 appeal was denied. In the document, Caston’s attorneys name the victim, which is not common practice today. Court records also reveal a “speed loader”—a device used to rapidly load ammunition into a firearm—was found by police under Caston’s mattress after the shooting. It contained six rounds of .44 caliber ammunition as well as additional rounds of ammo.

Now Caston is a commissioner on D.C.’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC), which advises the D.C. Council and other local government entities involving matters ranging from liquor license applications to public safety. Commissioners serve two-year terms and are elected in even-numbered years. The ANC was established to bring “government closer to the people, and to bring the people closer to government,” according to its website. Caston was chosen by voters to represent Ward 7, one of D.C.’s most crime-infested areas. It is represented by Councilman Vince Gray, an ex-D.C. mayor who was embroiled in a campaign finance scandal. The Ward 7 ANC seat has never been occupied and D.C. officials conducted an unprecedented election earlier this month to fill the post. All five candidates and the majority of voters they courted are incarcerated at the same prison with Caston, according to a local news report.

Last year the D.C. Council passed legislation allowing incarcerated convicted felons to vote. Besides D.C. only two states—Maine and Vermont—let imprisoned criminals cast ballots, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. After the measure was enacted in D.C., a group of commissioners and a nonprofit called Neighbors for Justice launched an effort to fill the empty ANC seat and pressure the local Department of Corrections to notify inmates they qualified to run for the post. Neighbors for Justice was founded in August 2020 by residents near the D.C. prison who want to support “neighbors at the jail during COVID and beyond.” The group offered all the felon candidates a forum to deliver their campaign message from their cell clad in orange prison uniforms. In the promotional campaign videos Caston is the only candidate who is not wearing the orange uniform. Instead, he appears in a white sweatshirt with a logo that reads “credible messenger.” In the short segment Caston says “my platform would be used to restore the dignity of incarcerated people that we would no longer be judged by our worst mistake and establish equality for both the male and the female population that has often been overlooked inside this space.”

Caston will be issued a laptop or tablet, an electronic mail account, and a workspace in the prison where he can dedicate eight hours a day to his duties as commissioner, the founder of Neighbors for Justice said in a local newspaper article. “It’s not just about a historic election, with a first-ever ANC commissioner who is incarcerated,” said Julie Johnson, the group’s founder. “It’s about giving a voice and visibility to a population that is unseen.” In the same story Caston says that he feels “presidential” after winning the election. On its website Neighbors for Justice congratulates Caston, writing that he will serve as the ward’s inaugural commissioner and confirming that the murderer received 48 of the 142 votes cast in the “historic election.” The note proudly announces that “all five candidates in this election are in residence at the DC jail.”

While they celebrate the election triumph of a convicted murderer, homicides in D.C. are on pace to shatter records. Last year the rate hit a 16-year high and in 2021 it is expected to be worse, according to Metropolitan Police Department data. The figures show homicides are already up 13% from last year. A few months ago, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser declared that gun violence is a public health crisis. Weeks later she clumped her city’s pervasive gun violence with the COVID-19 pandemic, saying this in a statement: “Many communities across the nation, including Washington, DC, continue to be burdened by two simultaneous public health emergencies. The first is the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has hit our Black and Latino communities the hardest. The second is the gun-related violence that continues to devastate many of those same communities. Even in 2020, when much of the country shut down for weeks at a time, deaths from gun violence reached historic levels.”
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd June 2021), Eva2 (25th June 2021), Ewan (24th June 2021), Franny (25th June 2021), rgray222 (24th June 2021)

9. Link to Post #245
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The cancel culture can move at the speed of light if it does not suit their political agenda.

Liberals pounce on rumors that NFL player Carl Nassib is a pro-Trump Republican after he was praised for coming out as gay

Carl Nassib was praised widely in the mainstream media after he became the first openly gay NFL player active on a team's roster, but others pounced on rumors that he's a pro-Trump Republican to denounce him.

Preview Fearless with Jason Whitlock, talking about the biggest names in sports media. Colin Cowherd, Dan Le Batard, Jemele Hill, and more.
    Nassib, who plays defensive end for the Las Vegas Raiders, revealed his sexual preference on Monday in an Instagram video.

While many LGBTQ supporters praised Nassib, others took to social media to excoriate him based on unsubstantiated rumors that he was a conservative Republican who supported former President Donald Trump.

"I'm proud of and support Carl Nassib for coming out….unless he's a Trump supporter then that is just problematic," tweeted one critic.
    Nassib was registered to vote as a Republican in two states as late as 2019.

Some cited a photograph with Nassib and his friends, one of whom is wearing a pro-Trump shirt.

"Yep. Carl Nassib is a Trump supporting Republican. Should have surprised no one," another critic responded.

"Apparently Carl Nassib is a registered republican AND a trump supporter. I don't care if he's gay and proud. That administration was evil and he doesn't get a pass," said another detractor.

"What Carl Nassib did was great but apparently he is a Republican and huge trump fan which probably does just as much damage to gay people as anything else," read another tweet.

Others saw racism in the difference between how Nassib was received in comparison to Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be drafted by an NFL team.

"[Michael Sam] Came out and was black listed from the NFL but Nassib comes out and ole boy is a hero? GTFOH. plus he's a trump supporter so im not gonna praise or support a white republican," read one tweet.

Despite some outcry against Nassib, his jersey became one of the top-selling NFL jersey at Fanatics, an official e-commerce partner to the NFL.

Source: https://www.theblaze.com/news/libera...cY#toggle-gdpr

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2021), Eva2 (25th June 2021), Ewan (24th June 2021), Franny (25th June 2021), Kryztian (10th July 2021)

11. Link to Post #246
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

When a Valedictorian Spoke of His Queer Identity, the Principal Cut Off His Speech
    The principal also took away the valedictorian’s prepared remarks, so the student recited the speech from memory.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/27/n...?smid=em-share

By Alyssa Lukpat
    Published June 27, 2021Updated June 28, 2021, 1:16 p.m. ET

Less than a minute into Bryce Dershem’s valedictorian speech on June 17, the microphone cut out. He had just told the audience at his New Jersey high school’s graduation ceremony that he came out as queer in his freshman year.

When he made that revelation, the principal, Robert M. Tull, went to the back of the stage and appeared to unplug some cords, a video from the ceremony shows.

Suddenly, Mr. Dershem, 18, was silenced. Mr. Tull walked onstage and took the microphone from its stand.

When the principal took the microphone, he also took Mr. Dershem’s prepared remarks.

Mr. Tull pointed to another copy of the speech on the podium that did not have any references to sexuality or mental health.

A replacement microphone was brought to Mr. Dershem, but at that point, he said in an interview on Saturday, he was frozen. Then his classmates at Eastern Regional High School in Voorhees Township, N.J., cheered for him to continue his speech.

“As it was happening, passion was surging through my veins that, yes, I need to give this speech,” he said, “because this is the exact kind of stigma that I want to fight against.”

Mr. Dershem knew every word of his own version of the speech, because he had been working on his remarks for a month.

“I tried my very best to give the speech from memory, and I was just a mess throughout the whole speech and I was just so vulnerable,” he said.

He spoke about how much he went through before he stood on the graduation stage.

“Beginning September of senior year, I spent six months in treatment for anorexia,” he said in the speech. “For so long, I tried to bend and break and shrink to society’s expectations.”

Mr. Dershem wanted to emphasize to students that their identities are valid, he said.

Bryce Dershem, Valedictorian Address

“From a formerly suicidal, formerly anorexic queer,” he said, he wanted the students to know that one person could save another person’s life.

When he arrived at the ceremony, Mr. Dershem wore a pride flag over his robe. A school administrator wanted him to take it off, but he refused. During the speech, Mr. Dershem suspected the principal was trying to pretend that there were technical difficulties.

Mr. Tull had read Mr. Dershem’s speech before the ceremony and wanted Mr. Dershem to deliver the version that the school administration had approved.
    Sign up for the New York Today Newsletter: Each morning, get the latest on New York businesses, arts, sports, dining, style and more.

The principal and Mr. Dershem had been debating the contents of the speech for weeks, Mr. Dershem said. The student sent the principal three drafts, he said, because Mr. Tull said his speech was not broad enough for his 500 fellow seniors.

Mr. Tull did not respond to a request for comment on Saturday. The high school is in Voorhees, a township of about 30,000 people, about 20 miles from Philadelphia.

Robert Cloutier, the superintendent of the Eastern Camden County Regional School District, said in a statement that the district had not asked any students to remove mentions of “their personal identity” from their speeches.
    Editors’ Picks
    LeVar Burton’s Quest to Succeed Alex Trebek
    The Clock Ticks on Caster Semenya’s Olympic Career
    Inside a Turkish Camel-Wrestling Festival

The New York Times reviewed the high school’s live-streamed video of the ceremony. Mr. Dershem’s father reposted a clip of his son’s speech on YouTube.

Just days before the ceremony, Mr. Dershem said the principal gave him an ultimatum: He could revise his speech, or he would not be allowed to speak at all. He changed his speech but the principal still did not like it, the student said.

“I felt like I was faced with this choice where I could either honor all the belief systems and virtues that I cultivated,” Mr. Dershem said, “or I could just follow the administration.”

Mr. Dershem talked over the decision with his family and decided that he was going to give the speech he always wanted to.

When his speech was over, the audience gave him a standing ovation. A woman thanked him afterward.

“She told me her son hadn’t survived the pandemic due to mental health struggles and she started to cry,” he said. “I thought, This was the one person I made feel less alone. And I knew I did the right thing.”

Michael Dershem, the student’s father, said he could not believe the principal would turn off his son’s microphone, but he said he could not be more proud of his son for regaining his composure and continuing.

“I probably watched the speech I don’t know how many times since then,” Michael Dershem, 56, said. “I’m a pretty tough guy, but, you know, I break down every time I watch it.”

Gov. Phil Murphy of New Jersey said on Twitter on Saturday that he was proud of Mr. Dershem for “speaking truth to power, and for your resilience and courage.”

Mr. Dershem is getting ready to move to Massachusetts in the fall. He will be a student at Tufts University, where he plans to promote the rights of women and L.G.B.T.Q. people.

“I’m so happy to know that people are watching this speech,” he said. “I hope they believe in themselves more and feel less alone in their fight.”

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th June 2021), Franny (28th June 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th June 2021), rgray222 (1st August 2021)

13. Link to Post #247
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Dan Crenshaw calls for Gwen Berry to be removed from Olympic team (35seconds):

Last edited by Gracy; 29th June 2021 at 17:14.

14. Link to Post #248
    Thanks

Hungary fines store $825 for 'misleading' customers over children's picture book with same-sex families
    https://www.rt.com/news/528707-hunga...m_campaign=RSS

A bookstore was fined for selling a kid's picture book depicting LGBT families in Hungary. Officials argued that the store has failed to properly warn customers about the book's content.

The book – 'Micsoda csalad!' ('What A Family!') – is a Hungarian translation of two titles by US author Lawrence Schimel and Latvian illustrator Elina Braslina: 'Early One Morning', and 'Bedtime, Not Playtime!'. It features stories about the everyday life of young children of same-sex couples.

Pest county commissioner Richard Tarnai told Hir TV that bookstore chain Lira Konyv has been fined 250,000 forints ($825) for violating the country's advertising law by not displaying a warning about the content of the book. "They should have specifically indicated that the book's content deviated from the norm," Tarnai said.

Tarnai argued that the book was placed next to classic children's stories, which could mislead customers.

The Lira Konyv book chain said it found the fine "surprising" and is preparing a legal response. It added that a sign will be put in place warning customers that the store sells "books with different content than traditional ones."

The book's Hungarian distributor, the Foundation for Rainbow Families, released a statement saying that the book depicts "completely normal, ordinary families," and that the sexuality of parents is not the focus of the story.

"These families haven't had their own story book so far. That's why we thought it was important to publish a fairytale book about them – and first of all for them," the distributor said.

Schimel accused the Hungarian government of "trying to normalize hate & prejudice with these concerted attacks against books like mine." He told The Guardian newspaper that he wanted to celebrate queer families, but claimed that the fact that children in his books have same-sex parents is "incidental to the story."

Hungary, which is ruled by a conservative government, passed a law last month banning LGBT content from the school curriculum and children's TV shows.

The legislation was sharply criticized by EU officials. European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen said that the law discriminates against LGBT people and goes against the key values of the EU. She threatened Budapest with repercussions unless the law is changed.

Hungary has rebuffed the attacks from the EU. "Brussels can't tell people how they should raise their children," the Hungarian prime minister's Chief of Staff Gergely Gulyas said on Wednesday, adding that the law is aimed at protecting minors.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), rgray222 (1st August 2021)

16. Link to Post #249
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Bill Maher Calls The Cancel Culture an Insanity

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd August 2021), Ivanhoe (12th October 2021), Kryztian (17th September 2021), Matthew (1st August 2021), Mike (2nd August 2021)

18. Link to Post #250
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 times in 554 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Lesbians are being cancelled, at least on reddit they are anyway. Benjamin Boyce hosts (forgot her name), a former moderator on a reddit forum called True Lesbians, which was a forum exclusively for biological women who are into other biological women. They were accused of being an intolerant hate group by some subgroup of the lgbqt etc, and subsequently shut down. I've only skimmed the video, but apparently since the group was not interested in men who identify as women and still have dicks (trans women), they were being discriminatory and bigoted and therefore had to go.

I've been saying for a long time now that it was just a matter of time before the lgbqt etc community began eating itself. If you're playing victim olympics among groups of allegedly oppressed people who keep endlessly dividing themselves into further oppressed subgroups, those subgroups will eventually view the groups before them as their "oppressors". So, the more groups you create, the more division you sew.

We have a saying down here in Spanish that translates roughly as "there's no hair on your tongue", and it signifies a person that says what they feel; truthfully, straight out, not behind your back, and without much of a filter either. I salute you for your honesty and intelligence.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd August 2021), Kryztian (17th September 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th September 2021), Pam (17th October 2021), rgray222 (17th September 2021)

20. Link to Post #251
    Thanks

Facebook bans scenic canal over ‘obscene’ name, dubs it ‘hate speech’
    https://nypost.com/2021/09/16/facebo...t-hate-speech/

It’s a ban Dyke.

Facebook sent UK users in a tizzy after prohibiting posts that mention a picturesque canal in Norfolk on account of its seemingly dirty name.

The body of water in question is the Cockshoot Dyke, a spot that’s reportedly popular with local anglers and sightseers due to its scenic views.

“People found it hilarious, saying it should be called ‘the waterway that shall not be named,'” Steve Burgess, administrator on the Love the Norfolk Broads Facebook page, told the Sun. The fishing and gift shop owner said the issue first came to light after a member posted about parking her boat at the profanely named canal, which reportedly leads to a place called Cockshoot Broad.

Facebook promptly removed the post, citing that it contained “violence and sexual content,” according to Burgess. The social media giant has since banned any mention of the name and classified its algorithms as “hate speech.”

Burgess, for one, believes that the measure is a bit heavy-handed.

“They have put two and two together and got 58. You’ve got to laugh,” he said, adding that the ban is ironic, as FB contains “so much that is really obscene or violent or sexual but nothing is done.”

Interestingly, the name isn’t even inappropriate in British vernacular. “Cockshoot” is actually a hunting term that refers to the pursuit of a wading bird called the woodcock. Meanwhile, “dyke” in this context simply means a barrier used to regulate or hold back water from a river, lake or even the ocean.
    see also
    f--king-fugging-name-change
    The infamous town of F–king was renamed Fugging — and no one noticed

Nonetheless, the business owner claims that anglers were banned for even mentioning fishing sites at the Dyke at Cockshoot Broad, and that he himself was prevented from posting Facebook pics for a full day. Other places that have fallen afoul of the algorithm include Plymouth Hoe, in Devon, and Devil’s Dyke, in West Sussex. No word as to whether posts about the notorious Austrian town of “F – – king” — now named “Fugging” — received the same treatment

However, despite deeming the digital prohibition a bit “Big Brother-esque,” Burgess said it does make sense to protect the millions of people who use the networking site.

This isn’t the first time a seemingly innocuous post has landed someone in the social media gulag. In July, a Detroit woman said she was temporarily banished from Facebook for “hate speech” after commenting on a meme labeling the opposite sex as “dumb.”

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th September 2021), Ewan (17th September 2021), Ivanhoe (12th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th September 2021), Pam (17th October 2021), rgray222 (17th September 2021)

22. Link to Post #252
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Quote So, the more groups you create, the more division you sew.
    You just made the argument for global government, and vilified all countries.

In Canada, a catch phrase seen everywhere: 'Strength through diversity'.

And my very most favourite: 'Stand apart to stand together'.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th September 2021), Mike (17th September 2021), rgray222 (17th September 2021)

24. Link to Post #253
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,304 times in 5,692 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Quote So, the more groups you create, the more division you sew.
    You just made the argument for global government, and vilified all countries.

In Canada, a catch phrase seen everywhere: 'Strength through diversity'.

And my very most favourite: 'Stand apart to stand together'.

The groups I'm talking about in that post are the ones that make up the near endless lgbqt etc etc etc acronym. And of course the heavy emphasis on this racial group and that racial group, and so on.

Depending on who you ask, there might be as many as 150 separate genders. Remember how confusing it was as a kid when there were just two to worry about? This endless multiplying of groups and "identities" is an invitation to nothing but chaos and division.

The reason: in this new era of victim Olympics, what happens when you endlessly multiply these alleged "identities" is something akin to the snake eating its tail. As you continue to divide the victim groups into smaller and smaller parts, those smaller parts will begin to identify the "victim" groups preceding them as oppressors. Oh, you're a black woman eh? Well I'll see your black woman and raise you a black trans woman! It's like that. And it never ends. Goes on and on and on and on. That's why intersectionality is so dangerous.

Countries separate people by borders, but also by cultures and values. This creates some chaos but it also creates a very necessary order. In order to preserve cultures and values and agreed upon laws, you need countries. Often a border is separating bad ideas from good ones (think North and South Korea). I think Mexico is a wonderful place in many ways, but it's not the USA, and a very distinct separation is required there.

I think countries create much more order than chaos is what i'm saying in a nutshell. So those divisions are useful. I don't think they can be compared to the manufactured separation between the endlessly manufactured "identity" groups we see now, or the manifactured divisions we're seeing between white and black, and so on.

So I'm in favor of countries.

Re "strength thru diversity": diversity these days usually is only referring to the near endless identity/victim groups emerging left n right. Generally speaking it has nothing to do with ideological diversity...otherwise conservative voices would be allowed in all those "safe spaces"
    Last edited by Mike; 17th September 2021 at 19:14.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th September 2021), Eva2 (21st September 2021), Ivanhoe (12th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th September 2021), Pam (17th October 2021), rgray222 (17th September 2021)

26. Link to Post #254
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I hear a lot about post-modernism and the like. And I always wonder, when exactly was this modern era that is now over? Unless all that is meant by modern is recent, which in my mind is not synonymous.

Every time we go down this road of division we end up bandying about terms with unclear definitions. 150 genders, you say? I'd like that one explained to me by any of its proponents. Some ideas are crazy, and must be treated that way. The very largest majority thinks it is crazy. It has no legitimacy and deserves no response - but it also must be demonstrably handled that way by an unbiased media and government officials who purport to serve their constituents. Otherwise, the insanity becomes the official policy of the government and propaganda must utilize the media and corporate sponsors to bend minds to their rhetoric.

When the lie becomes the truth chaos results.

Interestingly, when the lie becomes the truth, the truth is far more easy to see, if one still has eyes to see and ears to hear.

We always lived in an inverted world. It's just that most were happy to learn to see and hear upside down and inside out. But that is not the intent of this universe. So now the lie will live and die in the souls of those that have been deceived, played out in all its gory details in plain view. No one can ignore the truth when the lie becomes exposed to this level. At this level even the metaphysical becomes tangible.

It is kind of where science and spirituality meets...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd September 2021), Eva2 (21st September 2021), Ewan (12th October 2021), Ivanhoe (12th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th September 2021), Mike (17th September 2021), rgray222 (6th October 2021)

28. Link to Post #255
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is one of the most despicable acts of the cancel culture that the United States Government has ever engaged in, there has been no violence at these meetings but even if there were it would be a job for the local police, not the FBI. Clearly, intimidation towards parents by the Federal Government. This is shameful.

Quote "I'm not aware of anything like this in American history... You're using the FBI to intervene in school board meetings!" – Sen. Josh Hawley

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th October 2021), Eva2 (17th October 2021), Ewan (12th October 2021), Gemma13 (6th October 2021), Ivanhoe (12th October 2021), Pam (17th October 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021)

30. Link to Post #256
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Cancel culture backfires when banned lecture by Princeton professor at MIT draws thousands

Cancel culture seemed to have backfired in one instance, as thousands have registered to attend a guest lecture at Princeton University by a geophysics professor whose initial speech at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was canceled amid pressure from campus activists.

"I'm delighted to report that we've expanded the Zoom quota for Dr. Dorian Abbot's Princeton lecture – the one shockingly and shamefully canceled by MIT – and literally thousands of people have registered," Princeton professor Robert P. George tweeted on Monday.

The lecture, titled "Climate and the Potential for Life on Other Planets," is scheduled to take place via Zoom at 4:30 p.m. ET on Oct. 21 – the same day it had been scheduled to take place at MIT.

George, who is McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence and Director of the James Madison Program in American Ideals and Institutions at Princeton University, wrote in a follow-up tweet Tuesday, "I extend a special invitation to those MIT students, faculty, and alumni who believe in truth-seeking and understand that its indispensable conditions include freedom of thought, inquiry, and discussion, to Zoom into Dr. Dorian Abbot's Princeton lecture. #solidarityintruthseeking."

Dr. Dorian Abbot, a geophysical sciences associate professor at the University of Chicago, was slated to deliver the John Carlson Lecture, which is billed by MIT as an annual lecture meant to communicate "exciting new results in climate science to the general public," in light of his research on climate change. But MIT retracted his invitation, not because of the content of his planned lecture, but instead after activists and MIT academics took issue with Abbot's past comments arguing academic evaluations should be based on merit, not on race or ethnic identity.

Abbot, and his colleague, Ivan Marinovic, had criticized diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives by universities and some employers in an August opinion piece for Newsweek titled "The Diversity Problem on Campus."

After MIT announced it had canceled Abbot’s participation in the lecture, the geophysicist wrote a piece on the "Common Sense with Bari Weiss" substack noting that, "a small group of ideologues mounted a Twitter campaign to cancel a distinguished science lecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology because they disagreed with some of the political positions the speaker had taken."

"I am a professor who just had a prestigious public science lecture at MIT cancelled because of an outrage mob on Twitter," Abbot wrote. "This is not a partisan issue. Anyone who is interested in the pursuit of truth and in promoting a healthy and functioning society has a stake in this debate. Speaking out now may seem risky. But the cost of remaining silent is far steeper."

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/cancel-cu...-professor-mit

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th October 2021), Ewan (12th October 2021), Gemma13 (15th October 2021), Ivanhoe (12th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th October 2021)

32. Link to Post #257
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,493 times in 4,308 posts

More on above story in the clip below.

Glad to see bright - and brave - young people taking a stand against the madness.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2021), Gemma13 (15th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), rgray222 (16th October 2021), Tintin (19th October 2021)

34. Link to Post #258
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,519 times in 32,788 posts

Not only Halloween, but also Valentine's Day is now canceled.

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th October 2021), Eva2 (17th October 2021), Gemma13 (17th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Ivanhoe (17th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th October 2021), rgray222 (17th October 2021), Yoda (17th October 2021)

36. Link to Post #259
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,275 times in 1,435 posts

"Without the human request, nothing will happen."

"This must never be forgotten, that the human has the power to prevail."

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tyy1907 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th November 2021), iota (28th October 2021), rgray222 (27th October 2021)

38. Link to Post #260
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,546 times in 2,065 posts

why does it feel like there is a need for an organization to protect WHITES from discrimination?
    Last edited by iota; 28th October 2021 at 18:32.
    We should defend our way of life
    to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed,

so that any adversary
    will never make such an attempt in the future.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iota For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th November 2021), Ewan (29th October 2021), Pam (2nd December 2021), rgray222 (30th October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast