1. Link to Post #281
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

Default Re: Cancel Culture (Examples)

Thought showers???

.... that's an interesting list of seemingly benign words, I might need to delve deeper... I fear my white cis male privileged will result in more uncontrollable laughter.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Franny (18th December 2021), Gemma13 (17th December 2021), Mike (17th December 2021), rgray222 (16th December 2021), wondering (18th December 2021)

3. Link to Post #282
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

I recently watched the film "Hell or High Water". I enjoyed watching Westerns with mates years ago but my metaphysical interests have prevented me from looking into other genres for many years, until Yellowstone piqued an interest to look into what else Taylor Sheridan has written.

In the film, when dialogue emerges between two Texas Rangers, it appears racist, bigoted, and unnecessarily cruel. So much so that I find it hard to imagine many claiming to be "woke" being able to continue watching the film after this point. Heck some might even run off for therapy for being traumatized. And that's a problem, because the language crafted between Cowboy and Indian is far from hostile.

Both Rangers have inherited the arc of racism from their cultures, but instead of harbouring aggression toward each other they have bonded in deep friendship, and this is cleverly reflected in the powerful disabling force of Friendly Social Sarcasm (FSS). A vocabulary that will be missed by many though, if the outer layer of language, words, is the only tool applied to interpret the relationship.

I understood the FSS vocabulary between the Rangers because it's similar to Aussie outback speak and I commend Sheridan for his writing prowess in bravely tackling it. For example, I have an older mate who has lived and worked both the sea and rugged outback all his life in ways that would make young boys shudder. A couple of years ago he had a stroke and was flown to the city where I have had to live for the past 12yrs.

Being one of those fortunate enough to have been exposed to FSS vocabulary, as well as being able to engage fluently, I was able to translate to the city nurses on a daily basis. This ended up being crucial as my friend was going to be categorized with mental issues, and drugged accordingly, because they thought his ramblings were hallucinatory instead of actual fragments of his life in the bush. And when the drugs and damage wore off I was also able to explain his FSS vocabulary so that medical staff could recognize compliments instead of default interpretation of his personality as cranky and nasty. This man would, and could, move mountains to help someone in need, but it is hard to spot in his rugged exterior.

We eventually got him transferred to a country hospital because, as you might well imagine, the city is kryptonite to him, and now he is back doing what he loves. When I return to the country for a visit though, the first thing I would likely say to my friend is, "FFS aren't you dead yet?"

And then it would be on, with neither of us missing an opportunity to take the p!ss out of each other. I might say something to someone and he'd say, "Don't listen to that idiot she hasn't even used her brain yet, it's still wrapped up in plastic." The FSS vocabulary that flows constantly between us is recognized and loved by many, but to someone new it can be shocking. People often whisper to mates, "WTF... do these two hate each other, or something?" To which our friends laugh and reply, "Far from it. They're best mates."

There is another extremely important layer to FSS vocabulary that many don't understand. The gift of being able to break down inherited cultural barriers that we unknowingly carry around as excess baggage. When one of us brings a newcomer into a social den full of people well versed in FSS vocabulary, which I've sadly only experienced in the country, the first thing to be identified is their race, or clothing, or voice inflections, or handicaps, or whatever.

Then the games begin... and any awkwardness the newcomer may have felt in the first 3 minutes is rapidly dissolved as they start laughing at themselves, as well as everyone else, because no-one is immune from being a target. In other words, all layers of difference and division are quickly dispelled with FSS. Everyone then has a great time communicating from the hidden layer that we are all commonly bonded in...love and friendship. God I miss that!

Hopefully this brings me to my point, which is the insane ignorance of the language police and Cancel Culture that are trying to distill complex human communication into basic a,b,c's. This is devolution, imo, not evolution toward further understanding the intricate tapestry of words, thoughts, emotions, body language, and love.

At least Siri will be happy as humans continue to retard their vocabulary, and the power of Friendly Social Sarcasm, let alone comedy, becomes a dying relic so that artificial technology can catch up.

N.B. Narcissists and sociopaths don't stand a chance in a room full of people fluent in Friendly Social Sarcasm Vocabulary... there's just no room for them, and you have to be super quick to avoid being cut off at the knee caps. So it makes sense that they too would want to partner up with Siri.

On a good note though, apparently this film was nominated for numerous awards. I have to wonder why...

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Ewan (17th December 2021), Franny (18th December 2021), Kryztian (18th December 2021), Mike (17th December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021), rgray222 (17th December 2021), Tintin (17th December 2021), wondering (18th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #283
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,583 times in 5,714 posts

Gem I've seen 'Hell Or Highwater' maybe 5 times now. Great movie. I just kept coming back to it over n over again.

The woke misfits we see today aren't very good at FSS. They're not very good at humor or irony either. They don't understand it and they don't want to make an effort to understand it. Instead, they want to cancel it and bring everyone down to their miserable level. They know that things like humor and sarcasm expose their irrationality, lunacy, and narcissism..things they desperately try to hide behind a veneer of virtue and victimhood.

When you can't compete in traditional hierarchies (ones based on merit, talent, and effort) you try to invent new hierarchies built on something nearly the opposite. Bearing one's burden nobly, working hard, and personal responsibility have been traded in for complaining, embracing the victim's role, and blaming everyone else for one's shortcomings. A whole new language is required to make that work, and that language cannot include sarcasm, irony, or humor because once evoked those things will instantly reveal the hypocrisy behind such a movement.

The amusing banter between the cowboy and the Mexican officer is much more of a comfortable shorthand than it is racism or anything else. That seems obvious to me. But some can't see it and many more refuse to see it..because the void left by their lack of humor has been filled with a kind of bitterness that demands no one else enjoy a type of fun they're incapable of
    Last edited by Mike; 17th December 2021 at 08:21.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ankle Biter (20th December 2021), Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Ewan (17th December 2021), Franny (18th December 2021), Gemma13 (17th December 2021), Kryztian (18th December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021), rgray222 (17th December 2021), Tintin (17th December 2021), wondering (18th December 2021)

7. Link to Post #284
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Hey Mike, great that you've seen and appreciate the film.  I am concerned about how the world is going to be able to counter the onslaught of cancel culture moving forward though, but I'm staying hopeful that FSS, irony and comedy will somehow survive.

Added: I like the directors comments too:

https://www.flicks.com.au/features/h...ulinity-trump/

We’ve seen a line that was being tread there, and it comes directly from the script and you know there’s lots of script that we improvised, whether we adjusted. But that stuff we kept as was, because it felt awkward and uncomfortable to most of us who are in the film industry making the film. There was a temptation to kind of soften that a little bit.

I know Gil [Birmingham] and Jeff [Bridges] were a little bit uncomfortable. We thought, “No, no, let’s go straight at it and use that material and understand that this character appears a little bit close to the edge in terms of racism,” you ask questions about that then you start realising that maybe it’s more race awareness than racist, maybe it’s more affectionate, and it’s about the weird relationship that men have, where you know there’s a bit of tough love that goes on.

There’s a lot of masculine communication in the film that is not necessarily about even saying what they mean. It feels like you start that journey being a little bit awkward, and then by the time you get to the end of that journey, you realise that what you initially thought is only one part of it, one part of the equation.

It’s interesting to be touching on those sensitive subjects and then doing something with that. That feels like good storytelling and being able to look at these sensitive issues in the eye is something that feels important
    Last edited by Gemma13; 17th December 2021 at 14:04.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Ankle Biter (20th December 2021), Bill Ryan (17th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Franny (18th December 2021), Kryztian (18th December 2021), Mike (17th December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021), rgray222 (17th December 2021)

9. Link to Post #285
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,963 times in 3,473 posts

Not the Babylon Bee but an actual new story.

‘Harry Potter’-inspired sport to change name over Rowling stance
    18 Dec, 2021 00:27

https://www.rt.com/pop-culture/54358...g-transphobic/

The US-based Quidditch associations are exploring new names for the sport, adapted from a fictional game played in the wizarding universe of ‘Harry Potter’ books and films, citing copyright woes and the author’s “transphobia.”

US Quidditch and Major League Quidditch (MLQ) issued a joint statement on pursuing renaming possibilities on Wednesday, but it didn’t catch media attention until Friday. MLQ Commissioner Amanda Dallas said both leagues have been “quietly collecting research” and discussing it extensively with trademark lawyers “for the last year or so.”

“Renaming the sport opens up so many more revenue opportunities for both organizations, which is crucial to expansion,” said USQ Executive Director Mary Kimball, adding that picking a new shared trademark would enable both leagues to “pursue sponsorships, broadcasting on major TV networks and other projects that'll address some of the biggest barriers to playing the sport, like access to equipment.”

The term ‘quidditch’ is currently trademarked by Warner Bros. as part of the licensing rights for J.K. Rowling’s best-selling book series. While this is officially cited as the primary reason for the name change, the leagues did admit they wanted to “distance themselves from the works” of Rowling, “who has increasingly come under scrutiny for her anti-trans positions” in recent years.

Our sport has developed a reputation as one of the most progressive sports in the world on gender equality and inclusivity, in part thanks to its gender maximum rule, which stipulates that a team may not have more than four players of the same gender on the field at a time,” the joint statement said. “Both organizations feel it is imperative to live up to this reputation in all aspects of their operations and believe this move is a step in that direction.”

Rowling first drew the ire of transgender advocates in 2019, when she publicly defended an accountant fired for referring to trans women as biologically male. Just this week, she mocked Scottish police’s classification of trans rapists as women and assigning them to female prisons.

“The sport needs its own space without limits on its growth potential and changing the name is crucial to achieving that,” said Alex Benepe, who together with Xander Manshel adapted the fictional sport in 2005, at Middlebury College in Vermont.

Manshel and Benepe’s version tries to get around the inability to fly by having players run around the field with broomsticks between their legs. The magical “golden snitch” worth the most points is attached to the pants of a “snitch runner” who must evade the opposing team. It is “one of the few mixed-gender full contact sports,” according to the International Quidditch Association, which has a tally of more than 450 teams in over 30 countries.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Ankle Biter (20th December 2021), Bill Ryan (18th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Franny (18th December 2021), Gemma13 (18th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), rgray222 (18th December 2021)

11. Link to Post #286
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    the powerful disabling force of Friendly Social Sarcasm (FSS).
    I thought for a moment that ""Friendly Social Sarcasm" has to be a thing. An idea that someone in academia has written about. There had to be a Wikipedia page for it. But no, nothing terms up in the search engine for that term. Bummer.

But it should be a thing, it needs to be a thing. Perhaps there is another term for it?

I think I get your idea of FSS. A friend of mine, Italian-American would drive through Brooklyn with friends in a car and would say something disparaging about a black person or a Hasidic Jew. Those of us who knew him, knew that he was channeling the racist remarks he heard as a child from grandparents, and that he was just trying to shock us and give us a laugh. His comments weren't really about the people on the street or their ethnicity, they were about the small minded things he heard said by grandparents many decades before. Is that Friendly Social Sarcasm ? Why is the N-word usually a demeaning term, yet two black people can use it as a term of endearment? Friendly Social Sarcasm? What about the language drag queens use to stereotype and berates others or rural mountain people who intentionally misspell signs at their farmer's market to crank up the hillbilly mystique? I think this term has a lot to say about the complexity of language which the PC fundamentalist just don't get.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Franny (18th December 2021), Gemma13 (18th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021), rgray222 (18th December 2021)

13. Link to Post #287
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Quote Kryztian:  His comments weren't really about the people on the street or their ethnicity, they were about the small minded things he heard said by grandparents many decades before. Is that Friendly Social Sarcasm ? 
    Not really. FSS is spontaneous wit made up on the spot and even though past references can be incorporated into the quips, generally they are quite unique to the individual, the circumstances, and the environment.

Quote Kryztian:  Why is the N-word usually a demeaning term, yet two black people can use it as a term of endearment? Friendly Social Sarcasm? What about the language drag queens use to stereotype and berates others or rural mountain people who intentionally misspell signs at their farmer's market to crank up the hillbilly mystique?
    This is a good example of intra-racial/cultural FSS but is unfortunately useless and unappealing, imo, because it is used as a form of elitism against people of different cultures.

True FSS is universal, refusing to have preferences or favourites as this would defeat its purpose for removing barriers. For example, FSS might bring the concept of racism into sharp focus and then annihilate the ideology of harbouring hostility toward anyone because it doesn't belong in the room.

And of course FSS doesn't have to be about racism at all. For example, if an individual lets their ego out it will be carved up into little pieces until the person returns to healthy humility and equality.

Mike may be able to help out with further defining the term as I've just posted quickly off the cuff and will have to come back later. But really appreciate your questions.

P.s Then there are times when the person delivering the quip, will cleverly turn the quip onto themselves, to highlight the ridiculousness of something someone said.

Then there are the compliments which will come across as the complete opposite of the compliment being delivered.

It's a tricky language, but like any language, when you've been exposed to it long enough it becomes very easy to pick up. Bit like learning a different dialect in different regions.

Sheridan was highlighting this "dialect" in the Hell or High Water film and is why the actors were initially uncomfortable delivering the lines, but thankfully the director didn't soften it because it is exactly what FSS is like.
    Last edited by Gemma13; 18th December 2021 at 09:55.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

avid (18th December 2021), Bill Ryan (18th December 2021), Dorjezigzag (18th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Kryztian (18th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), Pam (19th December 2021), rgray222 (18th December 2021)

15. Link to Post #288
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,776 times in 4,344 posts

Quote Posted by Kryztian (here)
    to get around the inability to fly by having players run around the field with broomsticks between their legs.
    Wait, what...this is really a thing? Grown adults actually do this?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th December 2021), Ewan (18th December 2021), Gemma13 (18th December 2021), Kryztian (18th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), rgray222 (18th December 2021), wondering (18th December 2021)

17. Link to Post #289
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

@Kryztian Your questions were great because they forced me to think deeper about something that I am personally very familiar with, having listened to, and engaged in, FSS on a daily basis for many years. It is not a common language/dialect, especially in cities, and this makes it difficult to explain how FSS can have the appearance of being caustic, but has no intention or purpose for scathing bitterness.

I will try and simplify a further explanation because FSS is very difficult to demonstrate with words alone and even difficult in film because the tone, or energy, if you like, of people fluent in FSS is the key.

Social Sarcasm can range anywhere from casual humour, to friendly, to bitter, to downright cruelty.

Friendly Social Sarcasm has one range only and it starts and finishes with this range. No prejudice! At all.

Words used can only come from the databank that society has educated with, but the intention and meaning of those words are cleverly crafted to reveal the hypocrisy behind movements of division, as Mike explained in his post, and this is the power behind FSS.

Topic information is also informed by society, be it racism or politics or handicaps, etc and is why the language of FSS is so jarring. It literally rips a gaping hole in preconceived notions and belief systems.

Because the intention behind FSS starts from a neutral place, from a genuine belief that all men/women are equal, it has the power to not only challenge belief systems, but disable them. Even if it's only during the time that one is exposed to FSS neutrality. And that's a good thing in my book.

It's easy to understand why FSS is predominantly found in smaller country locations where higher academic learning, mental analysis, and political/economic social engineering are almost non-existent. The non-prejudice remote country people, (you also get the prejuduce ones of course), are educated in labour skills, informed by the land, and are able to genuinely demonstrate love and help to their neighbours... while teasing and taking the p!ss out of them at the same time, lol!

This is why the city nurses were appreciative of the translations I was able to provide for my friend because they didn't *feel* he should be wrongly diagnosed and medicated for a mental disorder. They were then armed with information to report to medical superiors that prevented it from happening.

An academic paper on FSS could actually be a good thing, if done by the right person able to capture the true essence of FSS, as it could prove to be a great tool in helping counter some of the ridiculous socially engineered definitions being flung around today.

I realize now that I probably bit off more than I could chew with my film reference for FSS, but hope this helps.
    Last edited by Gemma13; 18th December 2021 at 23:03.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2021), Dorjezigzag (18th December 2021), Ewan (19th December 2021), Kryztian (19th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), Pam (22nd December 2021)

19. Link to Post #290
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Adding to my post above:

Another really important thing in understanding FSS is the limitation of poetic vocabulary in many outback/remote communities.  Beauty in these locations is experienced and shared in silence... words cannot describe such wonders, so they are infrequently used.  Hence the twisting of harsh words to lighten life circumstances with humour.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2021), Dorjezigzag (18th December 2021), Ewan (19th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), Pam (22nd December 2021)

21. Link to Post #291
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

I've started another thread, "Cancel Culture vs Friendly Social Sarcasm", and apologies for veering a bit off topic here

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1469758

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2021), Kryztian (19th December 2021), Mashika (19th December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), Pam (22nd December 2021)

23. Link to Post #292
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

Tough way to get cancelled, I guess criticism at the sports arena is a no-no.

Source: https://www.rumble.com/video/vn6bcj/?pub=4

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (21st December 2021), Gemma13 (22nd December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021)

25. Link to Post #293
    Thanks

John McWhorter is called both a conservative and a liberal, depending on who people ask.

He now argues that the current anti-racism ideology is a new religion of the left.

In his new book, “Woke Racism,” McWhorter lashes out at what he calls the “third-wave anti-racism,” which positions racism to be the totality of Black American experience.

He also calls out the Black names such as Ibram Kendi, Ta-Nehisi Coates and Nikole Hannah-Jones for promoting these ideas that he argues infantilize Black people.

McWhorter joins Marc Lamont Hill on “Black News Tonight” to discuss the book.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd December 2021), Ewan (26th December 2021), Gemma13 (22nd December 2021), Mike (22nd December 2021), Pam (22nd December 2021), rgray222 (14th January 2022), wondering (25th December 2021)

27. Link to Post #294
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,776 times in 4,344 posts

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th December 2021), Ewan (26th December 2021), Gemma13 (30th December 2021), Mike (26th December 2021), rgray222 (14th January 2022)

29. Link to Post #295
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,320 times in 4,085 posts

Following on from Robert Malone's increasingly warning people against the vaccination on twitter (one yesterday or so cross post link), going as far as calling the vaccination the 'clot-shot', he is now removed from twitter. Sometimes twitter reinstate people quickly, it's possible they will reinstate Malone, but my gut tells me they won't.

Graham Kemp
    @accountingetc
    Can you believe Robert Malone has been cancelled from Twitter?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2021), Ewan (30th December 2021), Gemma13 (30th December 2021), Mike (29th December 2021), rgray222 (14th January 2022)

31. Link to Post #296
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,320 times in 4,085 posts

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    ...Robert Malon is now removed from twitter. ...
    This meme deserves the context

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2021), Ewan (30th December 2021), Gemma13 (30th December 2021), Mike (29th December 2021), rgray222 (14th January 2022)

33. Link to Post #297
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Steve Harvey blasts cancel culture: 'Every joke hurts somebody’s feelings'

Comedian and actor Steve Harvey criticized cancel culture and the need to be politically correct.

Harvey told reporters Tuesday while promoting his new ABC courtroom comedy series, Judge Steve Harvey, that he cannot do stand-up comedy anymore without losing sponsors and ending his career.

“We’re in the cancel culture now,” he said while speaking during the Television Critics Association press tour, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “Nobody can say anything he wants to — Chris Rock can’t, Kevin Hart can’t, Cedric the Entertainer can’t, D.L. Hughley can’t. I can go down the list. The only person that can say what they want to say onstage is Dave Chappelle because he’s not sponsor-driven. He’s subscription.”

The comedian added that jokes have to be about something, and the most interesting topic is people.

“Political correctness has killed comedy, has killed it,” Harvey noted. “Every joke now, it hurts somebody’s feelings. What people don’t understand about comedians is that a joke has to be about something. ... Some of these jokes have to be about people — because that’s the most interesting topic. So if I come back, I have to wait until I’m done [with my TV career]. And I’m not done. I’d have to call it This Is It or something like that.”

Harvey’s new show is a comedic take on small claims court cases based on his opinion and lessons learned in real-life challenges.

“You’ve got to understand being misunderstood,” Harvey said. “You’ve got to be able to deal with being talked [about] — nobody talks about you if you’re not doing nothing. You’ve got to develop tough skin.”

Source: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...bodys-feelings

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th January 2022), Ewan (14th January 2022), Gemma13 (18th January 2022), Mike (14th January 2022)

35. Link to Post #298
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Some may think that this is simply an overreaction but when I see freedom of speech being lost, institutions and race used as weapons (IRS, DOJ, etc) I honestly start to fear for the country and society. If banks begin to pick and choose their customers based on politics then society it truly lost.

Everyone regardless of their political leaning should be more than alarmed over this story.

Undercover Audio Footage Of Lindell Being Debanked Should Shake All Americans Awake- This is Why

Action taken against Mike Lindell (My Pillow) this week, by his bank- even after they admitted he had done nothing wrong to deserve being “fired as a client” could expose a dangerous government agenda by our Government “overlords” to shift America’s Republic into something we have never experienced before. Something where the Government controls who the banks can do business with.

Key Point: Think about this- while reading the following story– In a socialist economy, there is a government-controlled central bank that creates money for the government. This allows it to redistribute money to who it wants. This allows the government to reduce taxes while increasing spending, making up the difference in money creation.

NOW- HERE IS THE STORY ABOUT MIKE LINDELL BEING DEBANKED

Lindell appeared on The War Room Pandemic on Friday to discuss the details of how he was being forced out of his bank, and to talk about an undercover recording of the conversation- where a bank employee talked to a representative of his company and laid it all out.

Source: Read the entire story and listen to the podcast. https://djhjmedia.com/kari/undercove...mPybnqh-L0mO2o

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th January 2022), Ewan (18th January 2022), Gemma13 (18th January 2022), Mike (18th January 2022)

37. Link to Post #299
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Spotify removes Neil Young after he calls for Joe Rogan to go

Neil Young's music is being removed from Spotify after the rock star called for the streaming platform to choose between him and podcaster Joe Rogan.

Accusing him of Covid misinformation, Young told Spotify this week: "They can have Rogan or Young. Not both."

Rogan has been criticised for interviewing an infectious disease specialist who opposes Covid-19 vaccines for children.

Spotify said it "regrets" the move and hopes he returns to the platform soon.

The Canadian-American musician behind classic rock hits such as Harvest Moon and Heart of Gold publicly accused Spotify on Monday of "spreading fake information about vaccines - potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them".

In another statement posted to his website on Wednesday he called the music streaming giant "the home of life-threatening Covid misinformation", adding: "Lies being sold for money."

He also thanked his record label, Warner Brothers-owned Reprise Records, for supporting his decision, saying that around 60% of all of his streamed music comes from Spotify listeners.

"Thank you Warner Brothers for standing with me and taking the hit - losing 60% of my worldwide streaming income in the name of Truth," he wrote online.

Spotify reportedly paid $100m (£75m) for rights to The Joe Rogan Experience podcast in 2020. The programme is the top podcast on Spotify, and is reportedly downloaded almost 200 million times a month.

On Wednesday, Spotify replied to the singer's ultimatum.

"We want all the world's music and audio content to be available to Spotify users. With that comes great responsibility in balancing both safety for listeners and freedom for creators," it said.

"We have detailed content policies in place and we've removed over 20,000 podcast episodes related to Covid since the start of the pandemic."

Spotify has more than 300m monthly listeners, including more than 170m who pay for a subscription to the service.

It has defended Rogan in the past, including after an episode in 2020 that featured the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

"We want creators to create," chief executive Daniel Ek told The Financial Times at the time. "It's what they do best. We're not looking to play a role in what they should say."

At the time of writing, no other artists have followed Young's lead.

Steve Sladkowski, the guitarist for Canadian rock band Pup, gave one explanation why, tweeting, "It rocks that Neil can take his music off [Spotify] but the fact remains that the vast majority of us can't afford to do that because the (very meagre) royalties are one of the few ways to cobble together any semblance of a living."

Source: To read the full story - https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60149951

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2022), Bluegreen (28th January 2022), BoR (28th January 2022), Gemma13 (26th February 2022), Kryztian (28th January 2022)

39. Link to Post #300
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 times in 139 posts

I always enjoyed Neil Young’s music, but not that much that I can’t live without his music. I won’t listen to it anymore and I won’t miss it. What he did was promoting a deadly poison while trying to have Spotify censor free speech. The first thing can be ignorance, but the last thing is unforgivable.

I read that he and his children have auto immune health issues. And he never considered the possibility that vaccinations could be the cause? It’s ironic he is willing to lose some income via streaming to support the very thing that likely ruined his, and his children’s, immune system.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BoR For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th January 2022), Bluegreen (28th January 2022), Gemma13 (26th February 2022), Kryztian (28th January 2022), rgray222 (28th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 1 5 15 18 LastLast