Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast

Thread: Cancel Culture (Examples)

1. Link to Post #41
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Default Re: Cancel Culture (Examples)

The heads of the Poetry Foundation (a big deal in the literary world) stepped down after issuing a statement denouncing "systemic racism" because it was deemed too vague. When you read the open letter they make it abundantly clear that the real reason is that the leadership is "overwhelmingly white". This may or may not be warranted, I don't know all the facts but it does appear that the cancel culture is steamrolling right through society.

Poetry Foundation Leaders Resign After Criticism Of Their Response To Protests

The Poetry Foundation announced today that two of its leaders have stepped down — president Henry Bienen, and Board chair Willard Bunn III. This comes days after an open letter written by 30 poets, and signed by over a thousand more, criticized the foundation's response to the police killing of George Floyd, calling it "worse than the bare minimum."

Quote On June 3, 2020, the Poetry Foundation released a vague statement that you "stand in solidarity with the Black community, and denounce injustice and systemic racism." This non-substantive, four-sentence statement — which contained no details, action plans, or concrete commitments — was the Foundation's sole response to the ongoing state-sanctioned murders of Black people by police and the current wave of violent state repression of those protesting these killings.
    The Poetry Foundation is a heavy hitter in the literary world. It's a non-profit worth over $250 million, and it works to promote poetry while publishing the influential Poetry Magazine.

"We demand that the staff of the Foundation more adequately reflect the demographics of the city of Chicago," the letter reads. "We believe that as long as the Foundation's staff and leadership remain overwhelmingly White, it fundamentally limits the Foundation's ability to ever be an organization rooted in anti-racist practice."

Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...se-to-protests
    Last edited by rgray222; 28th July 2020 at 17:53.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Anka (31st August 2020), atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (28th July 2020), Constance (28th July 2020), Ewan (22nd August 2020), Harmony (1st August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mike Gorman (30th July 2020)

3. Link to Post #42
    Madagascar Avalon Member silvanelf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 times in 299 posts

Quote Posted by YoYoYo (here)
    Quote Posted by silvanelf (here)
    Quote Posted by YoYoYo (here)
    Quote Posted by silvanelf (here)
    Here you can see the hypocrisy of the Right.
    I've absolutely no doubt those on the right are hypocrites. The way you said it though, it's as if the left is exonerated or something?... Left, center, right - hypocrisy is as rife as humans are
    You can interpret my statement in this way, but my mind was on something else: in my opinion there is a subtle difference between the "hypocrisy of the Right" and the "hypocrisy of the Left."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvanelf For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2020), Eva2 (28th August 2020), rgray222 (30th July 2020)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    But it only takes one, one big name, one big example of strong, fearless resistance, and surely the floodgates will open and cancel culture will be cancelled. Until that happens, this will go on and on and probably only get worse.
    It's time in the sun will surely have it's sunset, whether it happens with a big stand as you describe, or more and more people just stop paying attention to it as they come to recognize the ridiculous hollowness of it all.

I don't recall how the McCarthy era drew to a close, but it did, and as an aside I find it interesting how these movements seem to bubble up out of nowhere.

Or do they?

6. Link to Post #44
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/0...-a-hate-crime/

Acting could soon be a hate crime

Performers in Scotland could be punished for playing ‘offensive’ roles under a new hate-crime law.

Scotland’s new hate-crime bill could result in actors being punished for portraying offensive characters. The SNP’s disdain for free speech is not even limited to real people.

The bill is intended to prevent harm to potential victims of hate crime. But it would criminalise anything deemed likely to ‘stir up hatred’ against people on the basis of their age, religion, gender identity or other protected characteristics – even if it is an actor pretending to be racist, transphobic or bigoted for the purposes of a play.

It is not clear who gets to decide what is likely to stir up hatred, or how that hatred is defined. This ambiguity has led the Law Society of Scotland to express its concern that ‘even an actor’s performance, which might well be deemed insulting or offensive, could result in a criminal conviction under the terms of the bill’.

We can all think of plays which feature racist or homophobic characters, often presented in a negative light. If such performances are made a legal issue, just imagine how much material could be censored – and how many actors could potentially face criminal charges.

It is hard to believe it is necessary to defend the freedom of actors and writers to produce offensive content. Absurdly, this bill would undermine the entire point of acting – to convincingly portray someone other than yourself. If actors’ performances are seen to be reflections of their own views, it will kill the performing arts.

This is a new low for censorship in Britain.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (1st August 2020), Constance (2nd August 2020), Eva2 (1st August 2020), Ewan (22nd August 2020), Franny (4th August 2020), Harmony (1st August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st August 2020), Mike (1st August 2020), rgray222 (1st August 2020), silvanelf (4th August 2020)

8. Link to Post #45
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,504 times in 4,311 posts

Sick of saying 'unbelievable, you can't make this up'. Well woke Scotland can start by extraditing Mel Gibson to stand trial for hate speech against the English (William Wallace). Hmm, No, you say?

We're back to the question they never answer and never even address: what precisely is 'hate speech', and who precisely defines it?

This comment sums it up:

Hugh Jasse
    @andrewdoyle_com
    Blasphemy Laws! Yay! I always wondered what life must have been like in the Medieval Era, now we all get to find out.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st August 2020), Constance (2nd August 2020), Eva2 (28th August 2020), Ewan (22nd August 2020), Franny (4th August 2020), Gemma13 (3rd August 2020), Harmony (2nd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Ivanhoe (4th August 2020), Mike (1st August 2020), rgray222 (1st August 2020)

10. Link to Post #46
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Bill Maher Calls Cancel Culture Social Murder, If We Can't Have Conversations With People Then Violence Is the Only Way To Solve Problems

Former New York Times columnist Bari Weiss likened cancel culture to "social murder" on HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher" on Friday night, arguing it isn't about criticism but "punishment."

Quote Cancel culture ... is about punishment. It is about making a person radioactive. It is about taking away their job
    "We're used to criticism. Criticism is kosher in the work that we do," said Weiss, who resigned from The New York Times last month in a public letter to publisher A.G. Sulzberger.

"Criticism is great. What cancel culture is about is not criticism. It is about punishment. It is about making a person radioactive. It is about taking away their job," Weiss told Maher. "The writer Jonathan Rauch [of The Atlantic] called it social murder. And I think that's right."

Quote If conversation with people that we disagree with becomes impossible, what is the way that we solve conflict?... It's violence.
    "It's not just about punishing the sinner. It's not just about punishing the person for being insufficiently pure. It's about this sort of secondary boycott of people who would deign to speak to that person or appear on a platform with that person," she added. "And we see just very obviously where that kind of politics gets us.

Quote If conversation with people that we disagree with becomes impossible, than how do we solve conflict? It's violence.
    Last edited by rgray222; 2nd August 2020 at 01:07.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (2nd August 2020), ClearWater (2nd August 2020), Constance (2nd August 2020), Eva2 (28th August 2020), Ewan (22nd August 2020), Franny (4th August 2020), Gemma13 (2nd August 2020), Harmony (2nd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Ivanhoe (23rd August 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd August 2020), Mike (2nd August 2020)

12. Link to Post #47
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

It's a hypothetical, but still a pretty interesting discussion:

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (2nd August 2020), Bill Ryan (2nd August 2020), ClearWater (2nd August 2020), Constance (2nd August 2020), Gemma13 (2nd August 2020), Harmony (2nd August 2020), rgray222 (2nd August 2020)

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

The yahoo comments section has been cancelled. Poof. Gone...

It's been replaced by a survey asking if you'll continue to read the articles without an opportunity to comment.

This is a pretty big deal, in my view. There was always some stupid, obnoxious comments, but there were also many many thoughtful and smart ones. Funny ones too. And the majority of them almost always disagreed with the mainstream talking points.

It was mostly an army of sane people calling bullsh!t on what's being spoon-fed us. So I'm not too surprised to see it go
    Last edited by Mike; 3rd August 2020 at 00:01.

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (2nd August 2020), atman (7th September 2020), avid (4th August 2020), Bill Ryan (3rd August 2020), ClearWater (4th August 2020), Constance (3rd August 2020), Eva2 (3rd August 2020), Franny (4th August 2020), Gemma13 (3rd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2020), PurpleLama (25th August 2020), rgray222 (4th August 2020), Soda (3rd August 2020)

16. Link to Post #49
    Language
    English
    Thanks

1984:"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. History has stopped."

Illinois lawmaker proposes ban on history classes: They ‘lead to a racist society’

A black Democratic state representative from Illinois wants to ban the teaching of history in the state because it “leads to white privilege and a racist society.”

As reported by NBC Chicago, Rep. LaShawn Ford gave out a news release before a Sunday gathering of politicians and educators which asked the Illinois Board of Education and school districts to “immediately remove history curriculum and books that ‘unfairly communicate’ history ‘until a suitable alternative is developed.'”

In place of history, Ford suggests more focus on civics and “ensuring students understand democratic processes.”

Ford also is sponsoring a bill which would mandate elementary schools teach about the civil rights movement.

From Ford’s news release:

“When it comes to teaching history in Illinois, we need to end the miseducation of Illinoisans,” Ford said. “I’m calling on the Illinois State Board of Education and local school districts to take immediate action by removing current history books and curriculum practices that unfairly communicate our history. Until a suitable alternative is developed, we should instead devote greater attention toward civics and ensuring students understand our democratic processes and how they can be involved. I’m also alarmed that people continue to display symbols of hate, such as the recent display of the Confederate flag in Evanston.” …

“The miseducation of our children must stop,” said Meleika Gardner of We Will. “It is urgent that it comes to an end as we witness our current climate become more hostile. Miseducation has fed and continues to feed systemic racism for generations. If Black History continues to be devalued and taught incorrectly, then it will call for further action.”

Evanston Mayor Steve Hagerty notes “As Mayor, I am not comfortable speaking on education, curriculum, and whether history lessons should be suspended. This is not my area. Personally, I support House Bill 4954 because I am interested in learning more and believe the history of Black people should be taught to all children and include all groups, Women, LatinX, and Native Indians who helped to build America.”

According to his legislative bio, Ford is a former history teacher in the Chicago Public Schools. Since first being elected to the state legislature in 2006 he’s never faced a re-election opponent. In 2019 he ran for Chicago mayor garnering a little over one percent of the vote.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/illino...acist-society/

----------

~ Jimi Hendrix

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (4th August 2020), ClearWater (4th August 2020), Constance (5th August 2020), Eva2 (4th August 2020), Ewan (22nd August 2020), Franny (4th August 2020), Gemma13 (5th August 2020), Gracy (4th August 2020), Harmony (23rd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mike (4th August 2020), rgray222 (4th August 2020)

18. Link to Post #50
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I often wonder if investigating the etymology of every single phrase or word for racist overtones is an effort of white people to shed some of their guilt. It certainly does not seem to be an effort to create a more equal society.

Anyone who has seen my posts will often see the phrase "words matter" but I honestly think these words are intentional misdirection away from the real issues facing the black community. Wasting ink and everyone's time on the word "grandfathered" does nothing for black progress. The issues are better schools, better jobs, better pay, better housing and more fathers involved in raising children. Not obscure words that only white people care about.

Massachusetts Appeals Court: The phrase ‘grandfather clause,’ racist in origin, will no longer be used

The state Appeals Court used a zoning feud between Gloucester neighbors as an opportunity to jettison the term “grandfathering” from its lexicon Monday, citing its origin in post-Civil War laws that prevented Blacks from exercising their right to vote.

A three-judge panel declared its objection to the word, which has been used by lawyers, judges, and local governments to explain why new zoning rules, for example, do not apply to existing buildings or home lots.

“Providing such protection commonly is known — in the case law and otherwise — as ‘grandfathering.’ We decline to use that term, however, because we acknowledge that it has racist origins,’’ Judge James R. Milkey wrote in a footnote for the state’s second-highest court.

Read the full story: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...racist-origin/

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Anka (31st August 2020), atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (4th August 2020), Constance (5th August 2020), Eva2 (14th August 2020), Franny (4th August 2020), Gemma13 (5th August 2020), Harmony (23rd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th August 2020), Mike (4th August 2020)

20. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

URGENT: The Second Amendment is Under Attack
    From the email update 8/6/2020
    James O'Keefe <info@projectveritas.com

"Project Veritas released a video earlier today where I was featured being denied my right to bear arm

The FBI has placed me on their NICS list, banning me from purchasing firearms by alleging I am a convicted felon.

I have never been convicted of a felony, ever.

As a result of this, I have decided to sue the FBI so that my Second Amendment rights are fully restored.

This story is so shocking that it has made headlines even at The New York Daily News:

I will not stop fighting until this injustice is overturned. Every law-abiding American deserves to have the right to protect themselves.

Stay tuned, more developments on this coming soon.

Be Brave,

James O’Keefe"

Each breath a gift...

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (8th August 2020), Constance (8th August 2020), Eva2 (14th August 2020), Gemma13 (9th August 2020), Harmony (23rd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Ivanhoe (23rd August 2020), Mike (8th August 2020), rgray222 (14th August 2020)

22. Link to Post #52
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

Quote THE CANCEL GOD
    by Peter Limberg & Lubomir Arsov

Darkness hovers above us.

You can feel it but cannot see it. You feel it in your office, your classroom, your social media feed; you even feel it in your body, which shudders with fear at the thought of speaking what you believe to be true. It feels like the world has been turned upside-down. People are acting like they have no God but this is not true, because a God has been summoned: the Cancel God.

The Cancel God wants to cancel you. It wants to cancel everyone you know. It wants to cancel humanity itself. That is its nihilistic goal. It demands you serve or submit. If you do, it promises you will suffer less when everyone dies. You sense this is an ignoble lie, but you are too afraid to question it because you deem the consequences of being cancelled far too high.

So be a good boy. Be a good girl. Say the right things, at the right time, in the right way. Be very careful not to offend, because you are now inherently offensive. Delete your old comments, your old threads, your old self. Get on your knees, and start to apologize, and apologize, and apologize, and apologize …

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th August 2020), Constance (18th August 2020), Eva2 (14th August 2020), Harmony (23rd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), rgray222 (14th August 2020)

24. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...candidate.html

Cleveland radio host gets fired for referring to Kamala Harris as "colored".
    Last edited by Mike; 31st August 2020 at 01:22.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (27th August 2020), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2020), Constance (23rd August 2020), Eva2 (28th August 2020), Harmony (23rd August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), rgray222 (28th August 2020)

26. Link to Post #54
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

A video by Paul Joseph Watson draws attention to a 2 July, 2020 paper published by the American Psychological Association saying psychopaths are likely to engage in fabricated “victimhood” and “virtue signaling”.

This is the paper's title:

Signaling Virtuous Victimhood as Indicators of Dark Triad Personalities

Enjoy.

27. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Adi (27th August 2020), Anka (27th August 2020), ClearWater (27th August 2020), Constance (28th August 2020), Eva2 (28th August 2020), Gwin Ru (27th August 2020), happyuk (27th August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Ivanhoe (31st August 2020), kudzy (28th August 2020), Mike (27th August 2020), rgray222 (28th August 2020), Yoda (28th August 2020)

28. Link to Post #55
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The purpose of this post is not to highlight Trump or Biden it is simply to point out how prevalent and important the cancel culture has become. When the President of the USA actually makes it a platform in his effort to get reelected you know something different and unusual is happening.

Reject the ‘cancel culture.’ Reelect Donald Trump as president

URBANA, Ohio -- You don’t have free speech when only one side is allowed to talk. You don’t have freedom when one side can be “canceled” for disagreeing with the other. In today’s world, opposing views aren’t challenged or debated, they’re censored by the left – the left that controls Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and virtually all of the Democrats in Congress. And every day, this same “cancel-culture” left is looking for someone new to target.

It was this “cancel culture” that Bari Weiss cited as the reason for her resignation as a New York Times editor. She used the term “digital thunderdome” to describe the brave new world that the left has created. The world where your thoughts and opinions have to be in sync with the mob. If they’re not, you’ll be viciously attacked on social media. Your employer will be harassed. And your family is not off-limits, either.

Just look at the world of sports. In June, NFL quarterback Drew Brees was forced to apologize after he stated that he would stand for the national anthem. A few weeks later, the left tried to cancel Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy simply because he wore the “wrong” T-shirt fishing with his family. Not long after, NBA player James Harden wore a mask supporting the police. He, too, was forced to address his “wrong” support for law enforcement. The left doesn’t care who you are or what you do. No one is safe from the mob.

To read the rest of the story: https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/20...im-jordan.html

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (7th September 2020), Bill Ryan (28th August 2020), Constance (28th August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Ivanhoe (31st August 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th August 2020), Mike (28th August 2020)

30. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

NHL Hockey announcer Mike Milbury is cancelled for daring to suggest that sports "bubbles" keep players more focused on their sports because they don't have to give as much time and energy to their spouses. The nerve of this man.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/27/nhl-an...ctive-justice/

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th August 2020), Constance (28th August 2020), Eva2 (28th August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th August 2020), rgray222 (29th August 2020)

32. Link to Post #57
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Sports and sports coverage has now become out and out political activism. I tune into Sky Sports daily, just for sports news. The actual sports-related stories are playing second fiddle to social justice talking points. In every single sport report, racism, sexism, and homophobia are the dominating headlines. We in the UK are under siege from it. We get all the NBA and NHL black lives matter and associated social justice stuff, every single story repeated ad nauseam - and here in a country where hardly anyone (no one I know) even follows or knows a single thing (or cares a single whit) about basketball or ice hockey. They are about as popular in the UK as cricket is in the US. Meaning, not at all. But because these 'existential threats to our society' narratives are all part of the mass media programming agenda, they are forced down our throats and we are forced to watch. Well, no more.

If sports casters are to become suddenly political bullhorns, they should be helping to bring understanding, and healing, and awareness to these social issues. Prejudice certainly exists in sport, but coverage of them has become so saturated of late they have made a circus of it. I've spoken to several friends like me, sports fans, and from what I hear, people are turning off and turning away. They're sick of being shamed, embarrassed, and preached to 24 hours a day. I think a number of major sporting bodies may soon face the same wrath of the consumer that hollywood has experienced. Get woke, go broke.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th August 2020), Constance (28th August 2020), Ernie Nemeth (28th August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Ivanhoe (31st August 2020), Mike (28th August 2020), rgray222 (29th August 2020)

34. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

John Muir, the "father of the national parks" is canceled for things he may or may not have said as a younger man.

https://news.yahoo.com/john-muir-can...225200288.html

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st August 2020), Constance (31st August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st August 2020), rgray222 (31st August 2020)

36. Link to Post #59
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,758 times in 2,555 posts

J. P. Sears on "How People Cancel Each Other".

Last edited by Eva2; 31st August 2020 at 07:39.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st August 2020), Constance (31st August 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st August 2020), Mike (31st August 2020), rgray222 (31st August 2020)

38. Link to Post #60
    Language
    English
    Thanks

What is next I wonder. Will they cancel Father Time? Because that's sooo sexist! Ah, but if we do that then we must cancel Mother Nature too... Ha!

Actually I'm waiting for God to be cancelled.

The Christian "God" concept is typically portrayed as a 'white male', and a cis white male, which is the worst of the worst. Literal scum. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some virtue signalling moron hasn't already written or tweeted as such. If it hasn't happened yet, it will probably happen.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

ClearWater (1st September 2020), Constance (31st August 2020), Eva2 (1st September 2020), Icare (12th September 2020), Mike (31st August 2020), rgray222 (31st August 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast