United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Default Re: Cancel Culture (Examples)

Quote Posted by rgray222 (here)
    Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)

Looks like one-party rule under the r's should do the trick then.
    I usually enjoy your cryptic short little IED's that you leave along the roadside in many of your comments but I am not quite sure what you mean here, please explain.

Gracy, I am laughing when I write this so please don't take it the wrong way.
    Right, I'm supposed to chuckle along side of you in comparing my posts to roadside bombs. Tee Hee Tee Hee

Here's your meme post in question:

And then my roadside bomb meant to maim and kill said Enemy of the State:

Looks like one party rule under the r's should do the trick then.
    When carefully examined, that meme is very indicative of a certain very popular point of view that no longer holds the system at large accountable for multiple misdeeds, and instead places that accountability squarely onto the shoulders of the democratic party.

Once eliminated, things will be okay once again is the next obvious leap of faith as no alternatives are ever presented.

How would it not be one party rule in the US was my point, if the democratic party is "cancelled"?

And there is your latest IED...
    Last edited by Gracy; 14th September 2020 at 03:34.

2. Link to Post #102
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,502 times in 4,311 posts

When carefully examined, that meme is very indicative of a certain very popular point of view that no longer holds the system at large accountable for multiple misdeeds, and instead places that accountability squarely onto the shoulders of the democratic party.
    Agreed. On the face of it that seems to be the case. Many are placing the blame squarely on the shoulders of the democrats. They may be in for a rude awakening. That said, the Dems are thoroughly comped. They are self-destructing at this time and therefore cancelling themselves. But people need to pan out and see the bigger picture. Under whose watch did 9/11 occur? It wasn't the Dems.

There is no doubt that at their cores, both political bodies, in your country and mine, have been twisted and mutilated by greed, corruption, cronyism, et al. There have been traitorous acts, born of self-interest, of that I have no doubt, and on both sides. They are working for (or from), the MIC, or secret societies, or whatever it is. It hardly matters anymore! What they are not doing is working for us. At least they haven't been for a long time. Is the worm turning with Trump?? I have thoughts, impressions on that, as do we all, but I do think we're close to finding out for certain.

Bottom line, Rs and Ds, Left and Right, that's mostly a game, a PT Barnum charade to keep us entertained, to keep us looking here and not there. These are two parties that surely have more in common than in difference, yet they arouse such polarity and opposition in the public mindset. It isn't due to policies though. Most couldn't even name what those policies are! It's pure tribalism - which 'they' forever exploit and inflame. They keep us blinded with it. It has to end.

I don't see right policies versus left policies now. What I see more is a battle of truth versus deception, integrity versus villainy, light versus dark - a return to balance, with transparency and accountability, not as a condition but an absolute imperative.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), ClearWater (14th September 2020), Gracy (14th September 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), Ivanhoe (14th September 2020), rgray222 (16th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th September 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020)

4. Link to Post #103
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Looks like one-party rule under the r's should do the trick then.
    I usually enjoy your cryptic short little IED's that you leave along the roadside in many of your comments but I am not quite sure what you mean here, please explain.

Gracy, I am laughing when I write this so please don't take it the wrong way.
    Right, I'm supposed to chuckle along side of you in comparing my posts to roadside bombs. Tee Hee Tee Hee

Here's your meme post in question:

And then my roadside bomb meant to maim and kill said Enemy of the State:

Looks like one party rule under the r's should do the trick then.

Once eliminated, things will be okay once again is the next obvious leap of faith as no alternatives are ever presented.

How would it not be one party rule in the US was my point, if the democratic party is "cancelled"?

And there is your latest IED...
    Gracy,
    sorry when I look back and read my comment I can see how it could easily be taken the wrong way. What I was attempting to say was you often leave short comments or phrases that have an explosive way to get to the truth and/or uncover additional information from the poster that makes the story more complete. In hindsight, the IED comment was unfortunate and not meant to be offensive it was meant to be complimentary. My apologies

To the point about one party as it pertains to the cancel culture

The cancel culture has been attributed to a hashtag that originated with black twitter users in 2014 but that is a misnomer, these twitter users simply gave a name to something that has been around for decades.  I believe the first time the cancel culture was brought to the publics attention was during the Supreme Court hearing for the nomination of Clarence Thomas in 1991. When the hearing was all but over (much like the Kavanaugh hearing) and Thomas's nomination was assured the Democrats trooped out sexual allegation charges. Clarence Thomas went on offense and made an impassioned statement during the nationally televised Senate hearing which not only stemmed the negative tide but also garnered him support from the American public and secured him a spot on the Supreme Court.  This cancel culture has been used on blacks and almost all woman conservatives for decades. These two demographics represent a voting block that the Democrat party has no intention of losing so if they wander off the reservation with an original thought or conservative values they will be viciously attacked by mainstream media and the Democrats (one and the same).   If you haven't had a chance to watch the documentary Bill posted, Uncle Tom, you see many examples of black conservatives being cancelled for the past 30 years. 

Quote This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree........................Clarence Thomas

The more modern-day use of the term cancel culture also originated on the left to cancel anyone who made a racist or sexist comment. It the early stages this seem to be a valid way to root our racism and sexism but it has snowballed into so much more.  The  “cancel culture” has morphed into erasing of history, encouraging lawlessness, muting citizens, and violating free exchange of ideas, thoughts, and speech.” The cancel culture went from being a tool of social justice into a new form of merciless mob intimidation. Of course, the mob on the right eventually caught on and started to cancel people, companies and products that they deemed too offensive to their values. The most recent example that comes to mind is Trump saying he would switch out all the "Goodyear" tires on government cars.

My point here is that cancel culture has not been an organic uprising, it had its origins politics, more specifically politics of the left. Even during the 2020 Democrat National Convention, the Democrat Leadership made no effort whatsoever to condemn looting, arson and the riots, no effort to condemn ANTIFA and no effort to reign-in the tearing down of statues. Taking down statues of Lincoln, Washington and even abolitionist along with rewriting history all has its origins on the left and they should be accountable. These memes represent pushback, an effort to say enough, it must stop. 

I don't think this is an effort to cancel or remove either party, it is normal to and fro of politics but at a fairly high pitch. Each party acts as a check and balance on the other. If only one party was left standing the United States would be on the brink of total destruction. 

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Gracy (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2020)

6. Link to Post #104
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

Indigenous people in Colombia have brought down a statue of 16th-century Spanish conquistador Sebastian de Belalcazar.

(See this post on the Turmoil in Colombia thread. I have to say, I do have a great deal of sympathy for this.)

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

atman (1st October 2020), ClearWater (22nd September 2020), Constance (10th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st October 2020), kudzy (22nd September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd September 2020), rgray222 (22nd September 2020), Yoda (22nd September 2020)

8. Link to Post #105
    Language
    English
    Thanks

White Grits to Get A Name Change

Geechie Boy Mill, a family-owned operation in South Carolina that makes locally-grown and milled white grits, is also planning a name change. Geechie is a dialect spoken mainly by the descendants of African-American slaves who settled on the Ogeechee river in Georgia, according to Merriam-Webster.com.

“We are in the process of changing our name and have developed a whole new brand. We look forward to sharing it with the public,” said Greg Johnsman, owner of Geechie Boy Mill.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...nc/3501382001/

Costco removes popular cheese after Black Lives Matter controversy

Costco has stopped carrying products from a pimento cheese brand owned by a South Carolina mayor who called the Black Lives Matter and Antifa movements “terror organizations.”

When reached for comment, a Costco representative declined to comment on the Palmetto Cheese brand.

The Georgetown Times published a photo of a sign in the Myrtle Beach Costco store stating that the products were “discontinued and will not be re-ordered by Costco,” adding that the products were being removed from more than 120 Costco locations.

Palmetto faced calls for a boycott from some consumers following Henry’s controversial Facebook post, in which he tied the protest movements to the unrelated fatal shooting of a father and daughter following an auto crash. The victims were white, while the accused killer is Black.

The Georgetown chapter of the NAACP called Henry’s post “racist” and called for him to resign.

Source:https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/c...k-lives-matter

Uncle Ben’s rice brand will get a new name, Ben's Original

NEW YORK (AP) — Uncle Ben’s rice brand is getting a new name: Ben’s Original.

Parent firm Mars Inc. unveiled the change Wednesday for the 70-year-old brand, the latest company to drop a logo criticized as a racial stereotype. Packaging with the new name will hit stores next year.

“We listened to our associates and our customers and the time is right to make meaningful changes across society,” said Fiona Dawson, global president for Mars Food, multisales and global customers. “When you are making these changes, you are not going to please everyone. But it’s about doing the right thing, not the easy thing.”

Several companies have retired racial imagery from their branding in recent months, a ripple effect from the Black Lives Matters protests over the police killing of George Floyd and other African Americans.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...nc/3501382001/

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (1st October 2020), Bill Ryan (23rd September 2020), ClearWater (23rd September 2020), Constance (10th October 2020), Eva2 (24th September 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd October 2020)

10. Link to Post #106
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The cancel culture is really reaching new lows when athletes that adhere to insane training schedules for years can be removed by posting one word on their social media accounts. This is akin Stalin's Russia or or current day standards in China. This is why Marxism/Communism will never work, those that have absolute power will absolutely use that power.

American cyclist suspended from team over so-called 'divisive' tweet supporting Trump

Quinn Simmons celebrates winning the men's junior event, at the road cycling World Championships (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)

The one-word tweet was apparently enough to get him sidelined

An American professional cyclist was suspended from his team Thursday after showing support for President Trump in a seemingly benign social media tiff.

Trek-Segafredo suspended Quinn Simmons for what the team called “divisive” comments on his personal Twitter account.

Simmons, 19, reacted to a tweet from Dutch journalist Jose Been in which she said she hoped for her American friends that “this horrible presidency ends for you,” adding “if you follow me and support Trump, you can go.”

Simmons replied to Been, saying “Bye” with a dark-skinned hand emoji waving. Her tweet was later deleted.

A separate Twitter user wrote that Simmons was “Apparently a Trumper.” He wrote back: “That’s right” with an American flag emoji.

He also responded to a separate tweet, which screen-shotted Simmons' reaction with Been.

Trek-Segafredo then put out a statement suspending Simmons "until further notice."

“Regrettably, team rider Quinn Simmons made statements online that we feel are divisive, incendiary, and detrimental to the team, professional cycling, its fans, and the positive future we hope to help create for the sport,” the team wrote. “(He) will not be racing for Trek-Segafredo until further notice.”

In response to the suspension, Been wrote that she felt “horrible” about it and that she wouldn’t have wanted Simmons to be suspended.

Simmons was in his first season with the Trek-Segafredo.

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ameri...pporting-trump

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (1st October 2020), Bill Ryan (1st October 2020), Constance (10th October 2020), Eva2 (1st October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd October 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020)

12. Link to Post #107
    Language
    English
    Thanks

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (5th October 2020), Bill Ryan (2nd October 2020), Constance (10th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd October 2020)

14. Link to Post #108
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yelp to Label Businesses Accused of Racism

I honestly believe that this is a case of good intentions that have very severe unintended consequences. Millions of people use YELP especially for restaurant reviews, YELP has set themselves up as the jury, the judge and the executioner.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (19th November 2020), Bill Ryan (10th October 2020), Constance (10th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), sunflower (13th October 2020)

16. Link to Post #109
    Thanks

Now, when a business gains attention for reports of racist conduct, Yelp will place a new Business Accused of Racist Behavior Alert on their Yelp page to inform users, along with a link to a news article where they can learn more.
    Here it is:

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Constance (11th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), kudzy (12th October 2020), rgray222 (11th October 2020), Yoda (11th October 2020)

18. Link to Post #110
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Monty Python Legend Warns 'Hate Speech' Laws Disastrous to the Creative Process

British comedy titan John Cleese has warned that even more restrictive hate speech laws, such as those proposed by the SNP administration in Scotland, will be “disastrous to the creative process”.

Appearing in an online debate hosted by Dr Simon Knight of the Academy of Ideas, the Monty Python legend was asked about such iconic moments in his career as the (in)famous “don’t mention the war” episode of Fawlty Towers — temporarily memory holed by the BBC-controlled UKTV streaming service earlier this year for “outdated language” — and whether they could be recreated today in a culture in which some judges have ruled that “context is irrelevant” in determining whether or not something constitutes “hate speech”.

“What kind of fetter would that place on the creative juices, the creative process if you had to start thinking everything through three or four times before you say them?” he was asked.

“Well, it’s disastrous to the creative process because the creative process above anything else is a matter of spontaneity,” Cleese said.

“I mean, if you’re going to come out with something really interesting artistically it’s going to come out of your unconscious, and if you’re having to edit everything you say before you say it then nothing it going to happen creatively — and also things that are rather lovely and funny in ordinary conversation, they’re not going to happen either, because everybody’s thinking ‘Ooh, somebody might [be offended]’,” he explained.

Cleese added that he had himself recently been in trouble for referring to someone as “jolly”, being told: “No, no, you can’t say ‘jolly’ now because that means fat.”

“So I looked it up in the dictionary, of course it doesn’t mean fat at all — but to a small number of people it means fat, and therefore they’re trying to control the way I speak because they have a little private rule themselves that it has a completely different meaning from the one I’ve grown up with,” he said.

“This is a sort of oversensitivity, and I think some of it is because of people are trying to feel that they’re very good people; [they] almost sit around waiting to be offended, so that they can [say] Oh, I’ve been offended! Sorry everyone but that’s it, I’ve been offended, and this person who offended me is a very bad person.’ I mean, it’s actually very silly.”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/202...ative-process/

---------------------

Classic "Don't Mention the War" scene (Fawlty Towers, episode 'The Germans' 1975), cancelled Due To *outdated language*

~ Jimi Hendrix

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

atman (17th October 2020), Bill Ryan (12th October 2020), Constance (13th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), muxfolder (2nd July 2021), rgray222 (12th October 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020)

20. Link to Post #111
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

TEACHING OUR STUDENTS TO CANCEL

https://www.theepochtimes.com/teachi...=mb-2020-10-12

You’ll hear that “cancel culture” isn’t real. You’ll hear that the phrase is just a way for powerful people to complain when they are criticized. You’ll hear that it’s just a way of “calling out” people who have done stupid or evil things.

Don’t believe a word of it. There genuinely exists a “cancel culture,” and the frightening element in it isn’t so much the “cancel” as the “culture.”
    Although a great deal of the phenomenon takes place—and gains its megaphone power—from social media, the real home of the culture is American academia: our colleges and universities.

And that should make us all tremble, because from there, it filters down to the grade schools and high schools. And it leaks out into industry, business, and government, as the inculturated students move out into the workforce.

It’s true that we are bringing up a generation of young people who don’t believe in free speech, but that’s just one side of the critique in which they are being trained. They think that they shouldn’t have to hear views they don’t like and that those who hold such views shouldn’t be allowed to express them.

But they also believe the next step: that those with bad opinions should be fired, even if they don’t express those opinions.
    Cancel culture demands, first the non-expression of “evil” ideas, and then the non-existence of those who hold “evil” ideas.

Dozens of examples exist—many of them absurd, many of them silly, and all of them vile. The National Association of Scholars has been keeping a list, and you can peruse it if you have a strong-enough stomach and a strong-enough sense of irony about the madness of the world.

[Link to lIST below article]

Fire Her!

But here’s a new example—not as bad as some, but worth thinking about. Diana J. Schaub is a professor of government at Loyola University in Maryland, a profound student of political theory, the best reader of Montesquieu in captivity, and a former member of the President’s Council on Bioethics. (She’s also a treasured friend, which probably adds some accelerant to the bonfire of my anger about her treatment.)

She was invited this fall to be a visiting professor at Harvard—and here’s the response this week from the Harvard Crimson, the student newspaper: “what Harvard must do now is simple. Fire … Schaub, and any other faculty member with similar unacceptable views. Then, establish a proper vetting system that prevents the hiring of others like them.”

That probably should have used the adverb “similarly” rather than the adjective, but, well, you know, they’re just undergraduates. We can’t expect them to be polished writers.

For that matter, Harvard University itself will simply nod understandingly toward their complaint, condescendingly agree, “It is a problem, isn’t it? My goodness,” and make no moves to fire Schaub in the remaining months of her visitorship. These are undergraduates, after all, and we can’t expect them not to make loud self-righteous denunciations of the university.

Of course, the school also will hesitate ever to offer again the prestigious visiting position to someone with the least possibility of prompting such student editorials. And that is the damage done by this kind of public declaration of a demand for canceling.

The Culturing

But I said that the greatest threat in cancel culture isn’t the canceling but the culturing. And think what’s revealed about the author by his Harvard Crimson editorial. His education at Harvard has taught him that those with wrong views shouldn’t be allowed to express them, and it has taught him the next step: Those who hold wrong views shouldn’t be employed.

We can regret here the hurt his education has suffered by teaching him that he needs to be sheltered from evil—and that future generations need never to hear evil words. But that’s the culture in which he hatched from high schooler to adult. He and his fellow students will walk out the gates of Harvard Square into premier jobs, careers, and power.

You may not think that Harvard shouldn’t be the entrance to an elite life. You might even consider Harvard a net loss to our society. But the fact remains: A Harvard degree allows its holders to start several feet above others on the slippery climbing post of social advancement.

And those with that degree now believe—deep in their hearts, at the seat of their moral self-esteem—that people who hold wrong views shouldn’t be allowed to speak in public or even exist in public. And their culture is spreading.

As for Diana Schaub, the Harvard Crimson column cites, for example, a beautiful essay she wrote about baseball—bemoaning the low number of African Americans who play the sport and worrying, as she has elsewhere, that the declining role of fatherhood is injuring America in ways great and small.

The complaint about this? A tendentious and willful assertion that her writing is “if not outright bigoted, [it is] ignorant and deeply concerning.” The irony here feels thick enough to suffocate. One of the finest scholars of our time, denounced as ignorant. Her views might not actually be bigoted, the Harvard student admits, so what’s wrong with them? It’s that they don’t align perfectly with the received opinions held by the right-thinking.

Schaub is no utilitarian, but John Stuart Mill must be rising from his grave in outrage on her behalf.

Joseph Bottum, Ph.D., is director of the Classics Institute at Dakota State University. His most recent book is “The Decline of the Novel.”

LINK TO LIST WHICH IS PERIODICALLY UPDATED

TRACKING "CANCEL CULTURE" IN HIGHER EDUCATION
    https://www.nas.org/blogs/article/tr...gher-education
    Last edited by Gemma13; 13th October 2020 at 02:27.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

atman (17th October 2020), Bill Ryan (13th October 2020), Constance (13th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), Icare (13th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th October 2020), rgray222 (15th October 2020), sunflower (13th October 2020)

22. Link to Post #112
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Orwellian revisionism at work:

~ Jimi Hendrix

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

atman (17th October 2020), Bill Ryan (14th October 2020), Constance (14th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), Harmony (17th October 2020), rgray222 (15th October 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020)

24. Link to Post #113
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is a different twist on the cancel culture. A guy lies to his employer, the President, the American people and the Debate Commission and the cancel culture gets blamed. I suspect he thought his employer and his fellow journalist would cover from him.

Scaramucci decries 'cancel culture' after Steve Scully suspension

One-time White House press secretary Anthony Scaramucci decried “cancel culture” after C-SPAN journalist Steve Scully was indefinitely suspended over a lie about being hacked on Twitter.

“Brutal outcome for a silly non political tweet. Nothing objectionable. Cancel culture going too far,” Scaramucci said of a controversial tweet Scully sent to him.

Scully said he sent the tweet that said "@Scaramucci, should I respond to trump” after being subjected to “relentless criticism” in conservative media before the second presidential debate, which he was set to moderate. He said Trump went on national television twice on Oct. 8 "and falsely attack[ed] me by name. Out of frustration, I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci.”

Scaramucci later tweeted he understood Scully was suspended for lying “but the punishing cancel culture is over the top.”

In his statement, Scully said, “These actions have let down a lot of people, including my colleagues at C-SPAN, where I have worked for the past 30 years, professional colleagues in the media, and the team at the Commission on Presidential Debates. I ask for their forgiveness as I try to move forward in a moment of reflection and disappointment in myself."

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/media/scaram...TIM4Xqj5H2gPto

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

atman (17th October 2020), Bill Ryan (16th October 2020), Constance (16th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (17th October 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020)

26. Link to Post #114
    Thanks

This was fun.
    Cancel Culture Goes After “Racist” Chess Because White Moves First. This Chess Expert Shut Them Down

1 July, 2020

Is chess racist?

That’s the question that the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reportedly wished to explore last week when, according to Yahoo Sports, the ABC sought John Adams, an economist who represented the Australian Chess Federation in 2015, to participate in a radio discussion on the matter.

Rather than entertain the ridiculous question, Adams declined the interview request and took to Twitter to explain why he had no plans to discuss the “irrelevant” topic with ABC.

“I just received a phone call from an ABC Sydney based producer seeking a comment about the game of chess! The ABC have taken the view that chess is RACIST given that white always go first! They are seeking comment from a chess official as to whether the rules of chess need to be altered!” he tweeted.

“Trust the taxpayer funded national broadcaster to apply ideological Marxist frameworks to anything & everything in Australia! With all the drama resulting from COVID-19, I am amazed that the ABC is broadcasting on irrelevant topics!”

Source: https://twitter.com/adamseconomics/s...81388900544512

Adams retweeted a statement by former star player Garry Kasparov in which he said that those triggered by the white player moving first in chess can instead take up Go, a game where black moves first.

Source: https://twitter.com/adamseconomics/s...77385773961216

Yahoo reports that ABC Radio Sydney host James Valentine later said the idea was to have a discussion, not to brand chess as racist.

Kevin Bonham, a member of the Australian Chess Federation committee who was tapped after Adams declined, explained that the concept of having white move first was developed in the 19th century as a way of standardizing the game.

“In the 19th century the player who had the right to go first could choose which color they went first with, but analysts for some time had been publishing games as if white moved first whether this was actually true or not,” Bonham wrote on an internet chess forum, according to Yahoo.

“There are benefits to standardizing it, in terms of things like publishing diagrams of the chessboard, because when you … play with black moving first, it effectively mirror-images which way round you have your pieces,” he said on the show. “The pieces themselves don’t represent racial teams, they just represent the sort of combatants in a battle wearing different colored uniforms if you want.”

In fact, Bonham noted, casual chess players may elect to have black move first if they wish.

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

atman (19th November 2020), ClearWater (26th October 2020), Eva2 (26th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), Gracy (26th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th October 2020), rgray222 (27th October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (28th October 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020)

28. Link to Post #115
    Thanks

This isn't even cancel culture. It's cancel mathematical logic.
    Math education prof: 2+2 = 4 'trope' "reeks of white supremacy patriarchy"

9 August, 2020
    • Math professors and academics at top universities, including Harvard and the University of Illinois, discussed the “Eurocentric” roots of American mathematics on Twitter.
    • They asserted that the statement “2 plus 2 equals 4” is rooted in Western definitions of mathematics.
    Math professors and educators at leading American universities have taken to Twitter in order to debate whether math is racist.

Some asserted that objective mathematics is rooted in “white supremacist patriarchy” and white social constructs.

The debate itself was rooted in George Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984, in which citizens of a fictional totalitarian state believe that 2 plus 2 equals 5 as a result of government propaganda.

Laurie Rubel, who teaches math education at Brooklyn College, says that the idea of math being culturally neutral is a "myth," and that asking whether 2 plus 2 equals 4 "reeks of white supremacist patriarchy."

(...the ridiculous article continues )

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

atman (19th November 2020), ClearWater (26th October 2020), Eva2 (26th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), Gracy (26th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th October 2020), rgray222 (27th October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (28th October 2020), TargeT (26th October 2020), Yoda (26th October 2020)

30. Link to Post #116
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

A great article on how "cancle culture" is a symptom of wide spread efforts to "shift culture" to a desired outcome .

Quote How Decades Of Media And Faculty Bias Have Pushed America To The Left
    It’s been clear for decades that national news organizations such as CNN and the New York Times tend to be biased in favor of social democracy (i.e., “progressivism”) and what we would generally call a “left-wing” ideology. Journalists, for instance, identify as Democrats in far higher numbers than any other partisan group. And political donations by members of the media overwhelmingly go to Democratic candidates.

This is why even as far back as the 1940s, libertarian and conservative groups felt the need to found their own news sources, publishing houses, and other outlets for the distribution of information.

Similarly, in recent decades, higher education faculty have been shown to be overwhelmingly in favor of the Democratic Party, both in affiliation and in donations.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...d-america-left
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

atman (19th November 2020), Constance (28th October 2020), Ernie Nemeth (26th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), rgray222 (26th October 2020)

32. Link to Post #117
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Is chess racist?
    That’s the question that the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reportedly wished to explore last week
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Math professors and educators at leading American universities have taken to Twitter in order to debate whether math is racist.
    Compiling a written response to this would be an indignity to the English language (or any language). Words would be in vain anyway to these...pin-headed sh!t-wits.

Therefore, memes.

~ Jimi Hendrix

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

atman (19th November 2020), Bill Ryan (26th October 2020), ClearWater (26th October 2020), Ewan (27th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), rgray222 (27th October 2020), TargeT (27th October 2020)

34. Link to Post #118
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    If you want to know what cancel culture really is, watch what it cancels, and watch what it doesn't.

What isn't being cancelled is "Cuties", more on it here, and here. This film involves scantily clad 11 year old girls posing sexually, while cavorting and writhing and twerking to hip-hop music. "Thoughtful, fresh, poignant", the critics remark (rave). This film also displays partial nudity, including bared chests and backsides. This is nothing but soft core child porn dressed up as a 'coming-of-age' drama.

So where is the woke mob now? Where is cancel-culture?

Attachment 44291

See how they frame it. "Right wing".

Since when is a call for decency a right-wing position? It makes no difference what party you support, it's our moral obligation, and surely our most pressing aim, especially if you're a parent, to protect children.

But at what point do you become so woke, that you become blind to basic morality?

Is that what's happened here? Or are those involved...involved in an agenda?

Remember, part of the agenda is to normalize paedophilia, to have it decriminalized [not a joke] and recognized as a sexual orientation. They really do want LGBTP.

I'm convinced they're attempting to shift the Overton Window. They're doing it quietly though, inch by quiet inch. Cuties would never stand twenty years ago. The window has shifted since then. I say that if you accept this now, they win another inch. And after this they'll push for another inch, and another. And then in twenty more years, where shall we be???
    I just saw this film browsing Netflix and came into Avalon to search it. There was a whole page of results but in threads I rarely look at - except for this one. Last week I knew nothing about it, now I've watched it and have an actual opinion based on that.

It is set in France, presumably in the suburbs of Paris, and opens with a young Moslim African girl and her life. She sees some other young girls practicing dance moves and story unfolds watching her begin to reject all her old values in favour of what the viewer is probably meant to see as more freedom from her perspective. The film definitely takes a walk on the wild side as it progresses and I was tempted to switch it off more than once as it does seem overly sexualised. I persisted though and made it to the end, the Moslim girl ends up rejecting her new freedoms and runs back to her family, and I came away with a different take on it. (There was also some pretty good acting from the lead girl who is just 11 years old).

Now maybe I am taking an erroneous position, I have no idea what the writer/director (a woman by the way) intended. I felt the film was ultimately exposing what social media is doing to our children and in particular young females - though young males also have their own problems to deal with. If the majority of people are just going to reject this from a gut/emotional reaction I genuinely fear they are missing the bigger picture. Regardless of whether this film gets condemned/banned social media continues, young children are being exposed to material that will influence many to overtly sexual appearance/behaviour. Every young teen girl has seen pop videos of girls dancing provocatively, does anyone think they are not going to mimic them?

I've had this conversation with my 16 yr old son, told him I never saw a naked woman till I was 14 yrs old and it was a Playboy centrefold that was taken in profile. Most kids in my generation didn't have a clue other than the absolute basics with a lot of incorrect ideas/thinking. Today every Western and a hell of a lot of Eastern 14 or 15 year old has probably seen some hardcore videos. It can't bode well for the future and that is not me wishing to start a crusade or being a prude, it should be apparent and yet it continues.

----

Ok, just looked up the director to see if she had responded to criticisms. Turns out I was correct in my summation

Quote “I thought the film would be accepted. It played to Sundance and was watched by American people there; I met the public there and they really saw that the film is about a universal issue,” said Doucouré. “It’s not about French society — the hyper-sexualization of children happens through social media and social media is everywhere. People [at Sundance] agreed with that.”

“We need to protect our children. What I want to is to open people’s eyes on this issue and try to fix it,” said the filmmaker, adding that it’s “important and necessary to create a debate and find solutions as filmmakers, politicians, and within the educational system.”
    Interview with Maimouna Doucoure
    Last edited by Ewan; 27th October 2020 at 20:52. Reason: Missed the word 'I' out of a sentence.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th October 2020), ClearWater (27th October 2020), Constance (28th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th October 2020), rgray222 (27th October 2020), TargeT (27th October 2020)

36. Link to Post #119
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks for your take on this Ewan, much appreciated. I definitely acknowledge my own rush to judgement without even seeing the film, and the certain hypocrisy that that entails. However the main gist of the condemnation of this film is not the moral of the story, but how the content is treated. The analogy being: you don't make a film about the evils of animal cruelty by actually being cruel to animals.

I've read enough articles and seen enough clips to confirm the very inappropriate nature of some of the scenes. I continue to insist it would've been just as possible to tell this story without them.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2020), Constance (28th October 2020), Ewan (28th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), rgray222 (28th October 2020), TargeT (28th October 2020)

38. Link to Post #120
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 20:31.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th October 2020), Ewan (29th October 2020), Gemma13 (29th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th October 2020), rgray222 (29th October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 6 16 18 LastLast