Thread: Why Biden?

1. Link to Post #101
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Default Re: Why Biden?

Well I don't know whether we'll ever resolve the great "be" vs. "beat" debate, but what I do know is that when passionately backing any given candidate, it's all to easy to point out the other guy's shortcomings, while conveniently ignoring or excusing those of one's own chosen candidate.

It's human nature.

Of course there's plenty to rag on "Slow Joe" about, but Trump isn't exactly a Rhodes Scholar either. Hell, I'll bet you either one of these guys would even embarrass themselves on this very forum, were they to try and act smart in many of the issues we explore here.

So either Trump has been playing the old 4D chess game to trick his political enemies, or he has issues of his own. Like saying the Continental Army, for instance, shut down the airports during America's Revolutionary war.

Remember that oldie but goodie?

This one's kind of fun as well:

2. Link to Post #102
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

Duly noted of course. I once had to speak publicly, on stage in front of 700 people. I got hot and tongue-tied, stumbled on my words and made a total mess of it (and a fool of myself). I am not a trained or experienced public speaker though.

Perhaps neither is Trump - though he was a TV personality for several years. But he isn't and never was a career politician, not a trained, groomed, practised politician like all the others (like Biden who's been at it for 40+ years).

I expect Trump experienced a flutter in his stomach when he first ran and began speaking to large crowds. And maybe still does. It's only human. Personally I don't know how anyone does it at all!
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Alan (15th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), ClearWater (15th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th September 2020)

4. Link to Post #103
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    I'm no defender of Mr. Status Quo, but let's try and make sure we at least get quotes from these guys straight here. What he said starting at :48 is the following: "I’m prepared to say, that I have a record of over 40 years, and that I am going to be Joe Biden".
    Just posted it for a bit of humour Gracy amongst the insanity we are witnessing daily.  Heck we're all guilty of putting our foot in our mouth and althoughTrump doesn't come close to Biden's cringeworthy, imo, he's certainly got his fair share of embarrassing cringee.

I actually posted it because it made me think of TargeT's post #63 so thought perhaps he might get a chuckle out of it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

ClearWater (15th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th September 2020)

6. Link to Post #104
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Kamala Harris can also fluff her lines. Freudian slip?

At 1.34 she calls it 'the Harris Administration - with Joe Biden'. Is that normal for a running VP to say?

~ Jimi Hendrix

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (15th September 2020), Chester (16th September 2020), ClearWater (15th September 2020), justntime2learn (15th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (16th September 2020), T Smith (14th October 2020)

8. Link to Post #105
    Language
    English
    Thanks

When you see those who have always been impartial (many being obligated to remain impartial), suddenly becoming partial, you really have to ask why...

When you consider covid, when you consider climate science, this is a pertinent issue.

~ Jimi Hendrix

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Alan (15th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (15th September 2020), Chester (16th September 2020), ClearWater (15th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), justntime2learn (15th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th September 2020), T Smith (14th October 2020)

10. Link to Post #106
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,262 times in 5,712 posts

Edited but NOT MUCH better in full (from a year ago)...

IMO not apologetic and demented. I suspect he will NOT be an easy patient as time goes on.
    Last edited by Delight; 15th September 2020 at 18:23.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (15th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), justntime2learn (15th September 2020)

12. Link to Post #107
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by atman (here)
    Trump, in the meantime, has even agreed, via a tweet this morning, to participate in a proposed 4-hour long debate with Biden... that would be moderated by Joe Rogan!
    Some further chan-chatter on that - it might be confirmed. Not verified due to the nature of anonymity, but definitely interesting...

click for large
    Click image for larger version

Name:	trump_rogan_632fd8acd673ce1d91ef06.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	44425
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Alan (15th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (15th September 2020), Chester (16th September 2020), ClearWater (15th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), TargeT (16th September 2020)

14. Link to Post #108
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,066 times in 3,146 posts

anyone hear it on the news?? SO ITS THE HARRIS ADMINISTRATION. lol

from Paul Craig Roberts/
    Kamala Calls It “the Harris Administration”

White liberals are such total dumb****s that they will put her in office if they can.

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/202...dministration/

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Alan (15th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th September 2020)

16. Link to Post #109
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,262 times in 5,712 posts

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)

from Paul Craig Roberts/

White liberals are such total dumb****s that they will put her in office if they can.

Thanks, I wanted to hear her say it.
    Of course, this won't deter any one I know who is driven by hatred of trump. They are all voting for the Harris Adminsistration with Joe Biden (as president). "The Biden?Harris Administration"
    Last edited by Delight; 15th September 2020 at 21:24.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alan (15th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th September 2020), thepainterdoug (15th September 2020)

18. Link to Post #110
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,066 times in 3,146 posts

thats the scheme!!

and btw
    i was in total shock today. right in the middle of this unprecedented peace deal being shown, my tv provider put one of the public service warnings on with the piercing sound!! and when it finally ended , the picture stayed blacked out for about 5 minutes!!!!! it was insane, in all my life i never saw such a desperate attempt to scuttle and obfuscate something! and it was no mistake!

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th September 2020), TargeT (16th September 2020)

20. Link to Post #111
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)

from Paul Craig Roberts/

See post #104

It's not just her, even Joe himself said it. It's quite plain he's reading this off a prompter, so it comes from whoever wrote it.

~ Jimi Hendrix

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (16th September 2020), thepainterdoug (15th September 2020)

22. Link to Post #112
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,397 times in 1,674 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    When you see those who have always been impartial (many being obligated to remain impartial), suddenly becoming partial, you really have to ask why...

When you consider covid, when you consider climate science, this is a pertinent issue.

I would say it's actually easier to buy a scientist than it is a politician.... a politician has to at least provide lip service and some degree of representation to her or his constituents; a scientist's very livelihood is fully dependent on grants, research funding, and the fully corrupted associations charged with granting said scientists the privilege of State licenses and practicing science.

And of course those who can't be purchased are simply ridiculed and discredited.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 15th September 2020 at 19:38. Reason: trimmed down accidental double post

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Alan (15th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (15th September 2020), Gracy (15th September 2020), Icare (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Kryztian (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th September 2020), PurpleLama (15th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th September 2020), TargeT (16th September 2020), thepainterdoug (15th September 2020), ZenBaller (15th September 2020)

24. Link to Post #113
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

The dilemma remains, rather similar to the very low approval rating of Congress here in the US (that is if we don't think all polls are fake news). Americans highly disapprove of Congress in general, but somehow, they seem to exempt the ones from their own districts and usually think they're doing a pretty good job.

The numbers don't add up but, that's how it is.

So where do we fit into that paradigm? Do we not do the same in exempting from scrutiny politicians and scientists we like, who play for our "team", while laying the heavy lumber to any and all that disagree with our chosen heroes?

It's all very black and white, no quarter given to the other side "bad guys". It makes conversation, and mutual respect despite differences, next to impossible.

25. Link to Post #114
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

So where do we fit into that paradigm? Do we not do the same in exempting from scrutiny politicians and scientists we like, who play for our "team", while laying the heavy lumber to any and all that disagree with our chosen heroes?

It's all very black and white, no quarter given to the other side "bad guys". It makes conversation, and mutual respect despite differences, next to impossible.
    I try hard to avoid the limitation of "it's all black and white".

Yes, it is a sad dilemma that many people feel they have to pick a side and defend it no matter what by ignoring all the data.

Then there is the false labelling of those who are looking into and discussing details of the minutia of "on the ground topics" as being pro a side. 

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't when we are forced to, and it appears we are, aligning with the lesser of evils.

Maintaining a birds eye view premise at all times that the majority of people want the same thing, (fairness and equality), makes it easier to remove the black and white judgments so that mutual respect is maintained and conversations can roll on without opinionated bias adding shade.

For sure, easier said than done.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), ClearWater (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2020), onawah (16th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (16th September 2020)

27. Link to Post #115
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,478 times in 2,544 posts

Speaking of polls, I've been enjoying watching this youtube video non-partisan live poll that someone put up recently. (Must give a hat tip to their programming skills.)
    So far, it appears to be working correctly, limiting 1 vote per registered youtube user. It's worded simply as "Who will win?" (not who will you vote for), so it's more of an opinion poll I guess. But it is interesting seeing the large spread.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2020)

29. Link to Post #116
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

For what it's worth, this is from 4chan.

Part of this fits a little with what BDAnon has been rather dramatically claiming about him. It's anonymous, of course, and some of it is a little unsavory, but I have to say it does all ring true.
    ~~~
    I worked for the Biden Campaign (Anonymous)

I worked as a low-level staffer for the Biden campaign’s HQ in Philly from July to the end of August. I am more of a Bernie guy, but I thought I should do whatever I could to defeat Trump, so I joined up. Eventually, I became so disgusted with what was going on, I had to leave. Some of this I experienced, the juicier bits are things my (now former) co-workers told me, so take those bits with a grain of salt:

One - The whole campaign is extremely paranoid about leaks/getting hacked.

If I were to publish the email chains I got, you’d see about a thousand messages saying “please see me” or “meeting at 10am”. No one wants another DNC hack situation, so no one puts any real information in emails or texts. Even with COVID, in-person meetings are the norm. They don’t want to do anything on Zoom either, in case someone records it. Everyone is suspicious of each other, and nobody likes to give specifics on anything. It was frustrating.

Two – All of the Bernie bros joke about being “another Seth Rich”.

With the paranoid atmosphere, some of us would make comments about ending up like Seth. None of us really believed the conspiracy theories, except for one weird older guy who was convinced that Malcolm Nance murdered him. His evidence? Nance made some cryptic tweets about “punishing the hackers” the day before Seth was murdered, and the deed was done less than a mile from the Intelligence Museum in DC that Nance owns. I didn’t buy it, but I can’t say I wasn’t intrigued by the coincidence.

Three – There are people whose job is to digitally de-age Biden for political ads.

If you saw a recent speech for Joe and though he looked like a mummy, then saw snippets of the same speech in an ad, you might have noticed he looked a lot better. That’s because they contracted VFX artists from California to de-age him. Normally I wouldn’t begrudge them this, as I’m sure all campaigns try to make their candidate look good. But, considering what they’re really covering up…

Four – Joe Biden is in the early stages of dementia, and is on medication for it.

This is the big one, and the one I have the least direct experience with, but it’s been an open secret for some time. Anyone who has had a relative with Alzheimer’s or dementia can tell you, there are good days and bad days. On the good days, when Joe is at his most lucid, his campaign manager Jen will send him out for photo ops or TV interviews… make hay while the sun is shining, you know? On the bad days, Jen just tells the press pool “No Joe today,” and they’re all like, “Okay, cool!” Most of the time, he’s just a little foggy and gets really agitated. But one of my co-workers told me that back in May, there was a day where he thought he was running against Gary Hart in the ’84 primary again. Joe went under wraps for several days after that.

He’s been more lucid recently because his physician, Dr. O’Connor, put him on Namenda. Jen apparently was worried about someone finding it out, because she insisted that he prescribe it under a series of phony names, and then have the interns pick it up. I bet there are a lot of pharmacists in Philly wondering why there are so many young people on Namenda.

Five – The dementia medication has had, um… unfortunate side effects.

There’s no dancing around this… the medication has made Joe incontinent. Though his “good days” have increased dramatically, he can barely get through a press event without running to the bathroom. That’s why he didn’t take questions after announcing Harris as his running mate. They weren’t afraid of the questions, the press loves him… they were afraid he was going to piss his pants on-camera. Lately, Jen’s been having closed-door meetings to discuss which brand of incontinence pads would be best to purchase. Seriously, a group of paid staffers sat around and discussed which brands were the least visible, the least likely to leak, and wouldn’t audibly “crinkle.”

That’s around the time I left the campaign. I can’t be a party to this sick game anymore. I never really liked Joe Biden, but he deserves better than to be thrust into the public eye when he should be in memory care. His wife should put a stop to this, but she’s way too excited about being “First Lady” to care about her ailing husband.

30. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (16th September 2020), atman (16th September 2020), Chester (16th September 2020), ClearWater (16th September 2020), happyuk (16th September 2020), justntime2learn (16th September 2020), leavesoftrees (17th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (16th September 2020), skogvokter (17th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th September 2020), T Smith (17th September 2020), TargeT (16th September 2020), Yoda (17th September 2020)

31. Link to Post #117
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

It would not surprise me one bit for there to be a debate between Biden and Trump. But certainly not on the Joe Rogan show! It would be pretty much like the debates in the primary, with soft-ball questions that cater to Biden.

Trump is not a good public speaker, not for answering questions on the fly. That's not really a problem, IMO, because many very intelligent people are not good at public speaking! My personal theory is that their minds run too quickly for them to get so many thoughts in an intelligible order in a short amount of time.

That is completely different than the obvious early stages of dementia that Biden is exhibiting. His "gaffes" are not due to not having good public speaking skills. It's two totally different things. But I'm not convinced that Biden is so far down that road that he can't handle the same level of debates as in the primaries.

In any case, if there is a debate, it will be rigged for Trump to look bad and for Biden to be tossed soft balls. The DNC/controllers do not care about trying to convince anyone to vote FOR Biden. They really do not care what the people think. That became increasingly obvious to anyone watching the primaries. They had decided Biden would be their candidate, and that was that. Their entire approach for this election is about NOT voting for Trump. So if they think a rigged debate will help towards that end, they'll do it.
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

atman (16th September 2020), Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th September 2020), T Smith (17th September 2020)

33. Link to Post #118
    Language
    French
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 times in 211 posts

Why Biden?

Because Harris!

And so the deeply recognized reality of Joe Biden's cognitive decline and, consequently, of his inability to really assume the role of president even if elected, has been manifesting itself in Freudian slips coming not only from Biden himself ("a Harris/Biden administration"), but also from his running mate, Kamala Harris ("a Harris... administration together with Joe Biden as President of the United States").

The crazy thing about the slip from Kamala Harris is that it happened while she had been reading from a teleprompter!

And here is Joe Biden finally doing a Q&A without a teleprompter, which only confirms the sad reality of his cognitive decline.

One of the top comments below the video:

"The entire Democrat Party should be charged with Elder Abuse."

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th September 2020), Jayke (16th September 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2020), T Smith (17th September 2020), thepainterdoug (16th September 2020)

35. Link to Post #119
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Quote Posted by Frank V (here)
    [...] corporate/Wall Street Socialism [...]
    There is no such thing ─ that's a contradiction in terms.

Socialism is by definition not corporate, since it means that the natural resources and the means of production are the property of the whole of society, while corporations are by definition private entities.

Wall Street itself is of course as corporate as it gets. It is entirely driven by unbridled greed and lust for (economic) power.
    Of course it's not meant to be a proper term.

But what do you call it then when the federal government, combined with the Federal Reserve, have an unending stack of signed blank checks sitting around just waiting to have an amount filled in by these entities, as the common people are in comparison left to fend for themselves?

Quote “We all too often have socialism for the rich and rugged free market capitalism for the poor.”
    Martin Luther King Jr.
    You call it fascism.

EDIT ADDED:

[...] corporate/Wall Street Socialism [...]
    There is no such thing ─ that's a contradiction in terms.

Socialism is by definition not corporate, since it means that the natural resources and the means of production are the property of the whole of society, while corporations are by definition private entities.

Wall Street itself is of course as corporate as it gets. It is entirely driven by unbridled greed and lust for (economic) power.
    Of course it's not meant to be a proper term.

But what do you call it then when the federal government, combined with the Federal Reserve, have an unending stack of signed blank checks sitting around just waiting to have an amount filled in by these entities, as the common people are in comparison left to fend for themselves?
    Fascism.
    So it is either, a.) a broken clock is still right twice a day or b.) great minds think alike?
    Last edited by Chester; 16th September 2020 at 14:26.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

36. Link to Post #120
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Okay Paula, I'm just going by what my ears tell me, who am I to argue with the transcript and all the arrows?
    Maybe that's called a "Freudian hear?" (and, to be fair, this could go both ways).
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 6 12 LastLast