+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Joe Rogan Talks To David Blaine

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,208 times in 5,679 posts

Default Joe Rogan Talks To David Blaine

If you're a fan of magic, or Blaine, or both, you'll enjoy this discussion. Blaine is ebullient and open throughout, which is in stark contrast to his stoic "street magic" image. He talks about his childhood, how he got into magic, etc, telling some great stories along the way. He also does some magic, of course. He lets Joe drive an ice pick thru his arm, he swallows a frog and brings it back up, and a few other cool things. Also, he talks about his new planned stunt, which involves him flying to 25,000 feet simply by hanging on to a bunch of balloons. It's amazing stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed this one:

P.s. Bill and mods: I put this in the personal development and self empowerment section because I think Blaine epitomizes that, but feel free to move if you feel it belongs elsewhere.
    Last edited by Mike; 19th August 2020 at 17:30.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Alan (19th August 2020), Bill Ryan (19th August 2020), Constance (19th August 2020), cursichella1 (22nd August 2020), Ewan (21st August 2020), Islander12 (29th September 2020), Jake (19th August 2020), onevoice (30th September 2020), TargeT (19th August 2020), toppy (19th August 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,656 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Joe Rogan Talks To David Blaine

this was an awesome interview, and the dice thing he did blew my mind!!! (The stories too) very good interview and like you said, his raw enthusiasm was fun to watch

Plus it spends a lot of time talking about discipline and determination/dedication,, very inspiring
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2020), Constance (19th August 2020), cursichella1 (22nd August 2020), Mike (19th August 2020), onevoice (30th September 2020), toppy (19th August 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,208 times in 5,679 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    this was an awesome interview, and the dice thing he did blew my mind!!! (The stories too) very good interview and like you said, his raw enthusiasm was fun to watch

Plus it spends a lot of time talking about discipline and determination/dedication,, very inspiring

The dice thing! Yeah, amazing! Do you have any guesses as to how the hell he does that???

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2020), Constance (31st August 2020), cursichella1 (22nd August 2020), TargeT (19th August 2020), toppy (19th August 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,656 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

The dice thing! Yeah, amazing! Do you have any guesses as to how the hell he does that???
    Extremely sharp observation maybe? Maybe he saw a flash of the die that we didn't?

But even that seems ridiculous after watching Joe's 2nd throw

I'm not very confident with that guess though,,, seemed like magic 2 me, haha
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2020), Constance (31st August 2020), cursichella1 (22nd August 2020), Mike (19th August 2020), toppy (19th August 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

seemed like magic 2 me, haha
    Just sometimes, he may cross over into something more like 'true' magic.

As in this famous street-magic incident. David has always said he himself was genuinely astounded when the taxi went past, and had no idea how that happened. Watch and see.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

ClearWater (20th August 2020), Constance (19th August 2020), cursichella1 (22nd August 2020), gord (20th August 2020), Kalamos (19th August 2020), Kate (20th August 2020), Mike (19th August 2020), TargeT (29th September 2020), Yoda (19th August 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

David Blaine talked quite a lot with Joe Rogan about his next adventure/ personal challenge/ stunt — hanging on to a bunch of colored balloons that'd carry him to maybe 20,000 feet or more before he parachuted down. Fun stuff.

This was planned to take place today, but it's been rescheduled. Here's a Variety article:
    David Blaine Postpones Helium-Balloon Flight YouTube Livestream, Relocates Stunt From NYC to Arizona

David Blaine nixed his plan to float over the Hudson River from New Jersey to New York City strapped to a bunch of helium balloons, blaming logistical challenges.

Instead, the magician and performer will attempt to perform the stunt — which is being bankrolled by YouTube as an original livestreaming special — more than 2,000 miles away in Arizona.

“Because of the complexity of this project, I’m not going forward with my plans to do New York City at this time,” Blaine said in a video announcing the change Sunday. The “groundbreaking R&D flight,” in which he’ll try to fly as high in the air as possible suspended only by balloons, will happen in Arizona, he said, “which is the most beautiful backdrop that I’ve ever seen in my life.”

His goal is to ascend some 18,000 feet (around 3.4 miles) into the air above the desert in Arizona, borne aloft by 52 weather balloons.

Blaine had planned to take to the air on Monday, Aug. 31, to fly over the New York skyline. But together with his team, he decided to relocate the event because of unfavorable projected weather conditions and wind patterns in the area. Monday’s current forecast for New York City is mostly sunny with winds east-southeast of 5 mph and gusts up to 7 mph, according to AccuWeather.

The multihour “David Blaine Ascension” global livestream is still set to take place on Blaine’s YouTube channel (at this link). Contingent on the weather in Arizona, Blaine’s stunt will lift off either Sept. 1 or 2. “Everything is wind-dependent,” Blaine said, encouraging fans to set a reminder on the YouTube livestream page.

“Ascension” is Blaine’s first live-broadcast stunt since 2002, when he spent 72 hours standing on a pillar in New York City while he was subjected to 1 million volts of electricity. (That also was livestreamed on YouTube.) Among other endurance events, he’s been buried in a plastic box under a three-ton water-filled tank, spent seven days submerged in an 8-foot-diameter water-filled sphere in front of New York City’s Lincoln Center, and spent nearly 64 hours encased in a massive block of ice in Times Square.

Blaine has been training over the last two years for the “Ascension” stunt, which required him to become a licensed pilot. The FAA has classified the cluster of large balloons he will be flying as an “experimental aircraft.” YouTube assembled a team of experts to advise Blaine for the flight, including skydiving pro Luke Aikins.

YouTube announced plans for a live special with Blaine (without revealing the detail of the helium-balloon flight) at TCA in January 2020. As part of promoting the stunt, Blaine met up with TikTok stars and sisters Charli and Dixie D’Amelio to give them controlled test flights with bunches of helium balloons.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Constance (31st August 2020), Gracy (31st August 2020), Mike (31st August 2020), Yoda (31st August 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Well, he did it.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (29th September 2020), gini (29th September 2020), Gracy (29th September 2020), kudzy (29th September 2020), TargeT (29th September 2020), Yoda (29th September 2020)

+ Reply to Thread