+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has Youtube stopped sending you upload notifications ?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,011 times in 8,167 posts

Default Has Youtube stopped sending you upload notifications ?

It's sunk in, after about a week, that Youtube is not sending me ANY new video upload notification emails for ANY of the channels I'm subscribed to AND signed up for such notifications.

NONE !

I've checked several channels and the notifications widget is still set for notifications.

I'm just plain not getting any !

I've checked my spam folder, none there either.

Is it just me, or is it happening to others here ?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th August 2020), greybeard (20th August 2020), Gwin Ru (20th August 2020), Sadieblue (20th August 2020), selinam (20th August 2020), shadowstalker (20th August 2020), Tintin (20th August 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Default Re: Has Youtube stopped sending you upload notifications ?

Me too Norman
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th August 2020), Gwin Ru (20th August 2020), norman (20th August 2020), Sadieblue (20th August 2020), selinam (20th August 2020), Tintin (20th August 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,519 times in 32,788 posts

Chris Martenson always (every time, at the end of every video) reminds his viewers to re-subscribe. Their notifications very often get auto-canceled by YouTube with no explanation given. He attributes this, very probably correctly, to the contrary-establishment content of his presentations.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (20th August 2020), Gwin Ru (20th August 2020), norman (20th August 2020), Sadieblue (20th August 2020), selinam (20th August 2020), Tintin (20th August 2020), Yoda (21st August 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Chris Martenson always (every time, at the end of every video) reminds his viewers to re-subscribe. Their notifications very often get auto-canceled by YouTube with no explanation given. He attributes this, very probably correctly, to the contrary-establishment content of his presentations.

As it looks, on the video pages, I haven't been unsubscribed, nor notifications turned off.

It's not just one or two channels either. I'm subscribed for notifications for many channels. E.g. Dark Journalist, Amazing Polly, Truthstream Media, Brendon OConnell, X22 Spotlight and 2 music channels. Those all upload regularly. There are many others I don't expect videos from very often. They've all gone (notification) silent at the same time.

Youtube seems to have chopped something in the background behind the user frontend, at least for me.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th August 2020), Gwin Ru (20th August 2020), selinam (20th August 2020), Tintin (20th August 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)

As it looks, on the video pages, I haven't been unsubscribed, nor notifications turned off.

It's not just one or two channels either. I'm subscribed for notifications for many channels. E.g. Dark Journalist, Amazing Polly, Truthstream Media, Brendon OConnell, X22 Spotlight and 2 music channels. Those all upload regularly. There are many others I don't expect videos from very often. They've all gone (notification) silent at the same time.

Youtube seems to have chopped something in the background behind the user frontend, at least for me.
    Yes, they're currently messing with the code again. No malice ─ just plain old incompetence.

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Frank V (here)
    Quote Posted by norman (here)

Yes, they're currently messing with the code again. No malice ─ just plain old incompetence.

Hah, they sure picked an interesting time to mess . . . .

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Frank V (20th August 2020), Gwin Ru (20th August 2020), Tintin (20th August 2020)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

I never get notifications for Gilad Atzmon and roughly only 50% of the time for Brendon O'Conell, so I make regular visits to their pages to make sure their content isn't being censored from me.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

norman (20th August 2020)

14. Link to Post #8
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,640 times in 20,812 posts

YouTube Will Stop Sending Email Notifications to Alert Channel Subscribers to New Content

Here's an important note for YouTube channel managers - as of August 13th, 2020, YouTube will no longer send out email notifications to your channel subscribers whenever you upload a new video.

As per YouTube:

"If you’re opted in to get emails about new uploads, live streams, and premieres from channels you’re subscribed to, these emails are going away, though you’ll still get notified on mobile via the YouTube app, or on desktop via your Chrome browser if you’ve turned these notifications on."

Why the change?

According to YouTube's internal data, less than 0.1% of these emails are ever opened, while users have also complained that such notifications are an annoyance in their ever-cluttered inboxes. YouTube also notes that 'important emails' about changes to your account, service announcements, etc. will not be impacted by this update.

Given the low open rates, YouTube predicts that the impact of this change on your view rates will be zero:

"We didn't see any impact to watch time when we experimented with turning off these emails. In fact, our tests showed that when we don't send these emails, more people engage with mobile push notifications and their Subscriptions feed."

So it should have no impact, but worth noting either way, as it will change how your subscribers are informed about your latest content.

It's pretty rare for digital platform to reduce its email sends. LinkedIn made a conscious effort to stop sending so many email alerts back in 2015, and its posted steady increases in engagement since, so there may well be something to it. But don't expect that to stop Facebook from sending you a random email alert every now and then that one of your friends has 'posted a link'. Seriously Facebook? A link. Who cares?

In this respect, I think we can all appreciate that YouTube has taken the time to look at its data, and stop cluttering people's inboxes with updates they don't read.

As noted, the changes go into effect from the 13th, which is this Thursday.

Source
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 20th August 2020 at 16:41.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Frank V (21st August 2020), Gwin Ru (20th August 2020), Ioneo (22nd August 2020), Michi (21st August 2020), norman (20th August 2020)

16. Link to Post #9
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,640 times in 20,812 posts

The whole system is rigged especially during election year!
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ioneo (22nd August 2020)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Thank you John. THAT's the answer.

More funnelling. "No phone or nobbled Chrome, no notifications".

Similar to "no phone no paypal".

What a load of horsedump that waffle was.

Quote Why the change?

According to YouTube's internal data, less than 0.1% of these emails are ever opened, while users have also complained that such notifications are an annoyance in their ever-cluttered inboxes. YouTube also notes that 'important emails' about changes to your account, service announcements, etc. will not be impacted by this update.

Given the low open rates, YouTube predicts that the impact of this change on your view rates will be zero:

"We didn't see any impact to watch time when we experimented with turning off these emails. In fact, our tests showed that when we don't send these emails, more people engage with mobile push notifications and their Subscriptions feed."

So it should have no impact, but worth noting either way, as it will change how your subscribers are informed about your latest content.
    What with one thing and another, COVID included, I can't help getting the impression that there is a huge program running to squeeze pre brainwash-schooling people right out of the equation, (and the vote count, too, Re Covid).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (20th August 2020)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Many of the really interesting youtubers have abandoned youtube now. They don't want their entire back catalogue of work wiped out just because youtube has turned (in our face) NAZI.

So, their ongoing work is elsewhere. Some of those elsewheres are behind paywalls but I've discovered podbay where I'm finding the recent material by youtube refugees, in the form of audio 'podcasts'. There are even video versions, prayingmedic does a video version of his stuff too. That's the only video version I've found so far though.

In Sarah Westall's case, she still uploads to youtube but she edits out parts that might get her channel deleted. To hear the full version with the most interesting parts included you have find her stuff somewhere else. Part 2 of her Sep 10th chat with Mike Harris had a chunk chopped out but the full version is available here, https://podbay.fm/p/business-game-changers/e/1600266329

Freeman(fly) hasn't uploaded anything at all to youtube in over 4 months, but he's still going and his latest offering, an interview with Greek entitled 'Social Construct', is dated Sep 20th. https://podbay.fm/p/the-free-zone-w-...y/e/1600559927

I was working harder using youtube anyway because I'd download the videos and strip the audio out of them so I could put it on a portable player to listen to anyway. With podbay I can just download the mp3 and I'm done.

Podbay doesn't host much. It's a portal and organising platform for streams that are increasingly hosted privately by the content creators. It's easier for them too because they don't actually have to spend time uploading anything before it's available. When I'm listening to a stream or downloading it, it's coming straight from the creator's server.

For years I've wished there was high profile platform for audio so I didn't have to faff around with video files that are only being used by podcasters and internet radio people because of the platform's high profile. making radio into tv with a still image always seemed so nuts and wasteful to me. Podbay ticks the box perfectly. All it needs is to catch on and for everyone to know about it. With the way things are right now in silicon valley, the time may be right for it to happen.

I read somewhere that they are only weeks away from having mobile app versions of it. I won't be needing that but I'm sure most people are already locked into mobile dependency now. It won't catch on in a big way without mobile app versions. Watch this space.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

Sue (Ayt) (22nd September 2020)

+ Reply to Thread