+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tell Your Puppy 'I Love You'...

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,989 times in 2,138 posts

Default Tell Your Puppy 'I Love You'...

So this (very) small study seems to show that a dog's heart rate increases when it's owner says the words 'I love you', it doesn't state whether any control groups were used etc etc but taking it at face value what could be going on here?

Could it be that when you say 'I love you' it causes a change in the heart's projected morphic field which can then be "read' by the animal?

It sort of reminds me of the Hawaiian Hoʻoponopono practice of reconciliation and forgiveness which works around four steps...

Step 1: Repentance – JUST SAY: I'M SORRY. ...
    Step 2: Ask Forgiveness – SAY: PLEASE FORGIVE ME. ...
    Step 3: Gratitude – SAY: THANK YOU. ...
    Step 4: Love – SAY: I LOVE YOU.

Perhaps there are similar processes at work when you tell your dog 'I love you'?

Quote Hearing 'I love you' from their owner makes pups' heart rate skyrocket by 46 percent, study shows

If you ever wondered how strong your furry friends' love is for you, here's your answer.
    In a new study, Canine Cottages fitted four doggies with special heart rate monitors to track what gets their tales happily wagging the most when interacting with their owners.
    Based on the data, Canine Cottages found that a dogs' heart rate increases by 46 percent when hearing the words "I love you" from their owner. Isn't that just the sweetest thing? Yes. Yes it is.

Not too far off from humans, the study also found that cuddling calms a pup down when they're feeling anxious (or when they're frightened by bad weather). When being cuddled, the dogs' heart rate decreased by 23 percent.

Now, if there's one thing I know, it's that humans loveeeee their pets (emphasis on the love). The study also tracked the owners’ heart rates, and found that it increased by 10 percent on average when they saw their pup after a long period of time.
    "It’s amazing to see that our dogs' heart rates increase when they are told they are loved, showing excitement, and decreases when having cuddles, showing contentedness," Shannon Keary, campaigns manager at Canine Cottages, said, as reported by PEOPLE Magazine. "It’s also interesting to see all the weird and wonderful ways our pets show their love for us. From this data, we can now officially say that our dogs really do love us!"

Begging (it doesn't just mean they're hungry), repeated licks and pup smooches, letting you rub their belly, defending you against possible attackers, jumping up and down, coming to see you when you're in pain and destroying your things are other signs that show your pup loves you, according to Canine Cottages.

https://www.chron.com/life/pets/arti...s-15556764.php

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), bojancan (15th September 2020), Brigantia (13th September 2020), ClearWater (13th September 2020), Frank V (13th September 2020), Franny (14th September 2020), Gracy (13th September 2020), Happyjak (13th September 2020), Harmony (13th September 2020), Islander12 (14th September 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (14th September 2020), O Donna (13th September 2020), Patient (14th September 2020), rgray222 (14th September 2020), Sadieblue (14th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th September 2020), Stephanie (13th September 2020), Sunny-side-up (13th September 2020), UNEEKSTUF (14th September 2020), Valerie Villars (14th September 2020), Wind (13th September 2020), wondering (13th September 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,427 times in 1,706 posts

Default Re: Tell Your Puppy 'I Love You'...

I suspect it is your tone of voice unless you say the same words a lot
    or other words with the same tone of voice.

I would try saying different words with the same tone.
    What words mean is not relevant to them. imo
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), Gracy (13th September 2020), pueblo (13th September 2020), Sadieblue (14th September 2020), Stephanie (14th September 2020), Valerie Villars (14th September 2020), Wind (13th September 2020), wondering (13th September 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    I suspect it is your tone of voice unless you say the same words a lot
    or other words with the same tone of voice.

I would try saying different words with the same tone.
    What words mean is not relevant to them. imo
    I wonder would the same tone with different words have the same effect? If you were to say 'I hate you' in a loving tone would that register the same reaction in the dog?

Perhaps it is not the words or the tone but rather the intent behind the words/tone that the animal is able to read?

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), East Sun (13th September 2020), Harmony (14th September 2020), Sadieblue (14th September 2020), Stephanie (14th September 2020), Valerie Villars (14th September 2020), Wind (13th September 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Quote Posted by pueblo (here)
    Perhaps it is not the words or the tone but rather the intent behind the words/tone that the animal is able to read?
    This. The intention and the energy you send out is all that really matters. The words are only relevant to you really.

Now that being said I don't think anyone would send out love by saying "I hate you", nor that would make any sense.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Anka (13th September 2020), Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (14th September 2020), East Sun (15th September 2020), Harmony (14th September 2020), Michi (13th September 2020), pueblo (13th September 2020), Sadieblue (14th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th September 2020), Stephanie (14th September 2020), Valerie Villars (14th September 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,881 times in 612 posts

I tell my dogs and my horse that I love them every day! I am sure they understand. My heeler is afraid of thunder so when it thunders she is beside me and I hug her and I know it calms her down. My horse responds to my “I Love you “ with a whinny! I think we tend to sell our furry friends short, they are aware of more than we give them credit for.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (14th September 2020), East Sun (15th September 2020), Franny (14th September 2020), Harmony (14th September 2020), Patient (14th September 2020), pueblo (14th September 2020), Sadieblue (14th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th September 2020), Stephanie (14th September 2020), UNEEKSTUF (14th September 2020), Valerie Villars (14th September 2020), Wind (14th September 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Geo, it's funny you say that, because I had to give up my horse duty for a while, so I could heal my hip. We have two horses.

I knew if I went out to the barn, I would get sucked in and start doing things which would make them more comfortable. They ARE comfortable enough. My horse Frysta has been such physical labor the past month, that I was hurting myself. So, I know for the next couple of weeks, it is best for all of us if I keep my distance, eat well and stop hurting myself.

Last night as I stood on the porch looking out at them, I repeatedly told each one of them "I love you." Some words have a higher vibration. Love is one of them.
    I tell my old german shepherd, Doucey the same thing. She gets a completely different look on her face and there isn't a doubt in my mind she understands the gist, though she is almost completely deaf.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (14th September 2020), Harmony (14th September 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (14th September 2020), pueblo (14th September 2020), Sadieblue (14th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th September 2020), Stephanie (14th September 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Geophyz (here)
    I tell my dogs and my horse that I love them every day! I am sure they understand. My heeler is afraid of thunder so when it thunders she is beside me and I hug her and I know it calms her down. My horse responds to my “I Love you “ with a whinny! I think we tend to sell our furry friends short, they are aware of more than we give them credit for.
    Indeed! Your dog may even be able to tell when you have the intention of returning home!

Quote A Dog That Seems To Know When His Owner is Coming Home: Videotaped Experiments and Observations

Journal of Scientific Exploration 14, 233-255 (2000)
    by Rupert Sheldrake and Pamela Smart

Introduction
    Many dog owners claim that their animal knows when a member of the household is about to come home. Typically, the dog is said to go and wait at a door, window or gate while the person is on the way home (Sheldrake, 1994, 1999a). Random household surveys in Britain and the United States have shown that between 45 and 52 per cent of dog owners say they have noticed this kind of behavior (Brown & Sheldrake, 1998; Sheldrake, Lawlor & Turney, 1998; Sheldrake & Smart, 1997).

Dog owners often ascribe their animals' anticipations to telepathy or a "sixth sense", but there could be more conventional explanations:

First, the dog could be hearing or smelling its owner approaching.

Second, the dog could be reacting to routine times of return.

Third, it could be responding to subtle cues from people at home who know when the absent person is returning.

Fourth, the animal may go to the place at which it waits for its owner when the person is not on the way home; the people at home may remember its apparent anticipation only when the person returns shortly afterwards, forgetting the other occasions.

Thus the phenomenon could simply be an artifact of selective memory.
    In order to test these possibilities, the dog should be capable of reacting at least ten minutes in advance, the person to whom the dog responds should come home at non-routine times, the people at home should not know when this person is coming, and the behavior of the dog should be recorded in such a way that selective memory can be ruled out (Sheldrake, 1994). This recording of the dog's behavior can be done most effectively by means of time-coded videotape.

In this paper we describe a series of videotaped experiments and observations with a dog called Jaytee, belonging to Pamela Smart (PS).

Full study at https://www.sheldrake.org/research/a...d-observations

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Bill Ryan (14th September 2020), Franny (14th September 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (14th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th September 2020), Stephanie (14th September 2020), UNEEKSTUF (14th September 2020), Valerie Villars (14th September 2020), Violet3 (14th September 2020), Wind (14th September 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,221 times in 2,093 posts

There was a documentary I watched about 10 years ago. I think it was on discovery channel. The pet owner would leave the house with a person. This was then shown in split screen showing the dog going to lay down or whatever while the dog owner was taken out for an hour or so. (There was a running timer on both screens.)

The owner did not know how long they were going to be out. Then the other person said "ok, let's take you home now."
    As soon as the dog owner knew that they were returning home, the dog (seen on the split screen) got up and went to the window to wait for their human partner to come.

This was repeated with a number of dogs and cats. In each occasion, the animal went to a window or door in anticipation of the person to come home.

When my wife is out, our dog prepares for her return usually in about 10-15 minutes before her arrival.

Watch your own dogs and cats to see for yourself. Cats are not as attentive as dogs though. I beleive that they know, but they are too cool to easily show it.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (15th September 2020), Franny (15th September 2020), pueblo (15th September 2020), Stephanie (15th September 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    There was a documentary I watched about 10 years ago. I think it was on discovery channel. The pet owner would leave the house with a person. This was then shown in split screen showing the dog going to lay down or whatever while the dog owner was taken out for an hour or so. (There was a running timer on both screens.)

The owner did not know how long they were going to be out. Then the other person said "ok, let's take you home now."
    As soon as the dog owner knew that they were returning home, the dog (seen on the split screen) got up and went to the window to wait for their human partner to come.

This was repeated with a number of dogs and cats. In each occasion, the animal went to a window or door in anticipation of the person to come home.

When my wife is out, our dog prepares for her return usually in about 10-15 minutes before her arrival.

Watch your own dogs and cats to see for yourself. Cats are not as attentive as dogs though. I beleive that they know, but they are too cool to easily show it.
    Hey Patient, my dog does the same! (preparing for my wife's return from work).

You could do your own experiment on a day when you know your wife will be returning early or late and check how your dog acts, ie. does the dog still prepare at the 'normal' arrival time or are they aware of the change in arrival time.

I'm pretty sure the video you describe is the video I posted above, Post #7.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Anna70 (13th May 2021), Stephanie (15th September 2020)

+ Reply to Thread