+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Covid-19 and Blood Groups

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Default Covid-19 and Blood Groups

From Bill: Our thanks to Frank, who sent us this and asked for it to be posted.

~~~

Source: Yahoo News

Blood type may affect severity of COVID-19 infection, new study suggests

In a new study published Wednesday, researchers in Canada found that, among 95 critically ill COVID-19 patients, 84 percent of those with the blood types A and AB required mechanical ventilation compared to 61 percent of patients with type O or type B, CNN reports. The former group also remained in the intensive care unit for a median of 13.5 days, while the latter's median stay was nine days.

Dr. Mypinder Sekhon, an intensive care physician at Vancouver General Hospital and the author of the study, said blood type has been "at the back of my mind" when treating patients, but "we need repeated findings across many jurisdictions that show the same thing" before anything definitive is established.

It's still unclear what may be behind the possible distinction; Sekhon said one explanation could be that people with blood type O are less prone to blood clotting, which can often lead to more severe cases.

Either way, Sekhon doesn't believe blood type will supersede other "risk factors of severity" like age or comorbidities, and he said people should not behave differently based on their group. "If one is blood group A, you don't need to start panicking," he said. "And if you're blood group O, you're not free to go to the pubs and bars."

Read more at CNN.
    Source: Yahoo News

========== Below is the CNN article referenced in the article above. ==========

Source: CNN
    People with blood type O may have lower risk of Covid-19 infection and severe illness, two new studies suggest
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#696969]
    (CNN) People with blood type O may be less vulnerable to Covid-19 and have a reduced likelihood of getting severely ill, according to two studies published Wednesday. Experts say more research is needed.

The research provides further evidence that blood type (also known as blood group) may play a role in a person's susceptibility to infection and their chance of having a severe bout of the disease. The reasons for this link aren't clear and more research is needed to say what implications, if any, it has for patients.

Studies add to growing evidence

A Danish study found that among 7,422 people who tested positive for Covid-19, only 38.4% were blood type O -- even though, among a group of 2.2 million people who were not tested, that blood type made up 41.7% of the population.

By contrast, 44.4% of group A tested positive, while in the wider Danish population that blood type makes up 42.4%.

In the other study, researchers in Canada found that among 95 patients critically ill with Covid-19, a higher proportion with blood type A or AB -- 84% -- required mechanical ventilation compared with patients with blood group O or B, which was 61%.

The Canadian study also found those with blood type A or AB had a longer stay in the intensive care unit, a median of 13.5 days, compared with those with blood group O or B, who had a median of nine days.

"As a clinician ... it is at the back of my mind when I look at patients and stratify them. But in terms of a definitive marker we need repeated findings across many jurisdictions that show the same thing," said Dr. Mypinder Sekhon, an intensive care physician at Vancouver General Hospital and an author of the Canadian study.

"I don't think this supersedes other risk factors of severity like age and co-morbities and so forth," added Sekhon, who is also a clinical assistant professor in the Division of Critical Care Medicine and Department of Medicine at the University of British Columbia.

"If one is blood group A, you don't need to start panicking. And if you're blood group O, you're not free to go to the pubs and bars."

No need to worry

Most humans fall into one of four blood groups: A, B, AB or O. In the United States, the most common blood groups are O and A.

It makes very little difference to most people's daily lives unless you have to have a blood transfusion. Nor should people worry unduly about the link between blood type and Covid-19, said Dr. Torben Barington, the senior author of the Danish paper and a clinical professor at Odense University Hospital and the University of Southern Denmark.

"We do not know whether this is some kind of protection of group O, or whether it's some kind of vulnerability in the other blood groups," he said.

"I think this has scientific interest, and when we find out what the mechanism is, perhaps we're able to use that proactively in some way in regard to treatment."

In the Danish study, researchers analyzed data on Danish individuals who were tested between February 27 and July 30, and the distribution of blood types among those people was compared with data from people who had not been tested. They found that blood group wasn't a risk factor for hospitalization or death from Covid-19.

Both studies were published in the journal Blood Advances.

While there are several theories, researchers don't yet know what mechanism could explain the link between different blood groups and Covid-19.

Sekhon said it could be explained by people with blood type O having less of a key clotting factor making them less prone to coagulation problems in the blood. Clotting has been a major driver of the severity of Covid-19.

Other possible explanations involve blood group antigens and how they affect the production of infection fighting antibodies. Or it could be linked to genes associated with blood types and their effect on receptors in the immune system.

"It's a repeated, interesting scientific observation that really warrants further mechanistic work," he said.

'Important research question'

The findings of the two new studies provide "more converging evidence that blood type may play a role in a person's susceptibility to Covid infection and their chance of having a severe bout of Covid-19," said Dr. Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security in Baltimore, who was not involved in either of the studies.

A separate study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine in June, found genetic data in some Covid-19 patients and healthy people suggesting that those with Type A blood had a higher risk of becoming infected, and those with type O blood were at a lower risk.

That previous genetic study, paired with the two new studies in Blood Advances, are "suggestive that this is a real phenomenon that we're seeing," said Adalja, whose work is focused on emerging infectious disease.

"While we're not quite to the point where this is ironclad, it's clearly suggestive, and we have not seen anything inconsistent with this. The same pattern has been emerging with O blood type tending to be the one that's standing out," Adalja said.

Adalja said that blood types and their susceptibility to various infections have been studied in the medical literature before. For instance, research suggests that people with blood type O appear to be more susceptible to norovirus infection.

As for the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19, "We need to figure out the mechanism and understand it at the molecular level to be able to say for sure how this is occurring -- that this is really the O blood type and not something that kind of tracks with O blood type," Adalja said.

We're starting to see enough now that I think it's an important research question to answer," he said. "There's more science to be done here, but it seems to me that there's more evidence accumulating for this hypothesis."
    Source: CNN

The two studies were published in the journal Blood Advances.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 15th October 2020 at 09:00.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (15th October 2020), avid (15th October 2020), Chris Gilbert (15th October 2020), Constance (15th October 2020), cursichella1 (17th January 2022), EFO (30th March 2021), Ewan (15th October 2020), Franny (16th October 2020), Gwin Ru (15th October 2020), Harmony (21st October 2020), Ioneo (15th October 2020), janette (15th October 2020), Le Chat (15th October 2020), Peace in Oz (16th October 2020), Philippe (17th October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (15th October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (15th October 2020), Tintin (15th October 2020), Wind (16th October 2020), Yoda (15th October 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 times in 471 posts

Default Re: Covid-19 and Blood Groups

It might seem odd to some, but I haven't the foggiest what my blood group is

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

Agape (15th October 2020), cursichella1 (17th January 2022), Eva2 (16th October 2020), janette (15th October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (15th October 2020), Tintin (15th October 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,345 times in 5,388 posts

A very interesting study with remarkable potential for treatment methodologies further on down the line - with further thanks to Frank for sharing.

The association of ABO blood group with indices of disease severity and multiorgan dysfunction in COVID-19

Last edited by Tintin; 15th October 2020 at 11:19.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

avid (15th October 2020), Bill Ryan (15th October 2020), Chris Gilbert (15th October 2020), Constance (15th October 2020), cursichella1 (17th January 2022), EFO (30th March 2021), Eva2 (16th October 2020), Ewan (17th January 2022), Franny (16th October 2020), Gwin Ru (15th October 2020), Harmony (21st October 2020), Le Chat (15th October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (15th October 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,345 times in 5,388 posts

“If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

avid (15th October 2020), Bill Ryan (15th October 2020), Constance (15th October 2020), EFO (30th March 2021), Eva2 (16th October 2020), Ewan (17th January 2022), Franny (16th October 2020), Gwin Ru (15th October 2020), Harmony (21st October 2020), Le Chat (15th October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (15th October 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,750 times in 2,555 posts

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)
    It might seem odd to some, but I haven't the foggiest what my blood group is
    Me neither

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member cursichella1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,217 times in 759 posts

Several studies indicate that blood type and Rh factor may determine susceptibility to infection and degree of illness from COVID 19.

Note to self 🤔: Could this also be related to how one's body handles the mRNA vaccines? Or how one's body reacts to the infection if vaccinated recently?

In any event, my takeaway after a quick read - type O and any type that's Rh-negative may be at lower risk to becoming infected and the outcome. But there are lots of variables, so do read the entirety of the study results to see how it may more specifically apply to you.

This my be good news for some, not so much for others. But really, it's just more information to consider. Those who may be at higher risk should be more cautious, that's all.

I'm Rh-negative but my kids are not, so for me this was not great news. It's been a lot easier for me to hunker down than it has been for my college-aged kids.

Link to the study "Relationship between blood type and outcomes following COVID-19 infection" is HERE

Mods: If this is better posted elsewhere, feel free to move. If it was posted elsewhere, my apologies. I searched to check that but there are so many COVID and Rh posts I was overwhelmed with results. Worse, I'm posting this from my phone.🤦
    cursichella1

Qui tacet consentit

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cursichella1 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2022), Ewan (17th January 2022), Franny (17th January 2022), Gwin Ru (17th January 2022), Harmony (17th January 2022), Lilyofthestars (18th January 2022), pueblo (17th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread