1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default Power Corrupts

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th October 2020), Constance (19th October 2020), gord (19th October 2020), Harmony (20th October 2020), Ioneo (19th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (20th October 2020), Rhogar (21st October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (19th October 2020), Wind (19th October 2020), XelNaga (19th October 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 times in 262 posts

Default Re: Power Corrupts

power only reveals the corruptible inside us all

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th October 2020), Constance (19th October 2020), Harmony (20th October 2020), Ioneo (19th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (20th October 2020), Mashika (20th October 2020), XelNaga (19th October 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Roles in the image could be reversed, though I suppose the quote would stand true.

There's somewhat of an anti police movement in the US. I tongue in cheek suggest that folks who don't want police should be able to save tax dollars that would typically go towards policing however they lose the ability to call them in an emergency. Mob rule is the alternative:
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th October 2020), Constance (19th October 2020), Harmony (20th October 2020), Mashika (20th October 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 times in 461 posts

Power Corrupts...Interestingly, I received a phone call last night from a friend/colleague who told me about a medical chat discussion she was on, where the leader of the forum would ban members from threads - for the unforgivable crime of providing educated, scientifically backed posts that were contradictory to her own.

My friend stated that the leader's ego must be as fragile as a lost Picaso.... Brazenly Amazing, just brazenly Amazing!

Thank you for this timely and most interesting thread

Blessings Luke
    Last edited by Luke Holiday; 20th October 2020 at 02:59.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luke Holiday For This Post:

Mashika (3rd April 2021), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,536 times in 2,553 posts

I think of the whole thing as another paradox, that being that the more expanded one is, the more the desire for power-over wanes.
    Yet those very people would be the worthiest leaders.
    That is the paradox.

My hope is always that they do actually lead, albeit not from the limelight, as they prefer to remain "the small".

Quote Tao Te Ching Vs Seventeen

The very highest if barely known.
    Then comes that which people know and love.
    Then that which is feared,
    Then that which is despised.

Who does not trust enough will not be trusted.

When actions are performed
    Without unnecessary speech,
    People say, "We did it!"
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th October 2020), Constance (19th October 2020), edina (20th October 2020), Harmony (20th October 2020), Luke Holiday (19th October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (20th October 2020), Mashika (20th October 2020), Sarah Rainsong (19th October 2020), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,536 times in 2,553 posts

Quote Posted by Luke Holiday (here)
    My friend stated that the leader's ego must be as fragile as a lost Picaso.... BRazenly AWmazing, just brazenly Ama5zing!
    Luke - I don't understand what this means. ???
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Billy (20th October 2020), Harmony (20th October 2020), Mashika (22nd October 2020), Strat (20th October 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 times in 461 posts

... Ooops looks like a few typos, sorry - did that one from my kindle fire ,

My bad -will be more careful moving forward - typos corrected

Blessings Luke

Blessings Luke

14. Link to Post #8
    Bahrain Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I think I agree, but not fully

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertwelain For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st October 2020), Mashika (22nd October 2020)

16. Link to Post #9
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,508 times in 4,311 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    I think of the whole thing as another paradox, that being that the more expanded one is, the more the desire for power-over wanes.
    That is the paradox.
    Those who seek power are those who are most unworthy of wielding it. I totally agree with that, and it does feel like a paradox but is it just "the natural order?" Consider that the ambition of power is born from a sociopathic desire to dominate. This is already a corruption. Those on the other hand who are expanded as you say are aware of ego traps, the misuse of power, and the potential for self-annihilation. So they eschew that path owing to their higher wisdom.

But I suppose we still arrive at a paradox. Because who then do we choose to be our leaders?

I honestly feel the only solution is shared power, where no one person contains in his or her hands supreme administrative power. Authority needs to be spread, I would say ideally across a council of elders type scenario, one that is fully transparent, fully accountable, and with each position frequently rotated. It needs to be a public service, not a career path. This would of course require a radical rethink and restructure of every component of the political system.

Pie in the sky type stuff, at least in this reality.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Antagenet (31st October 2020), Bill Ryan (31st October 2020), Ewan (20th October 2020), Gwin Ru (1st November 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Mashika (22nd October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (20th October 2020), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

18. Link to Post #10
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by robertwelain (here)
    I think I agree, but not fully
    But how so, i thought the picture and for example what 'Sue (Ayt)' said, about how even if roles were reversed, it would be true still, made a lot of sense?

I wish you would expand on your view a bit more

-

Masha

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st October 2020)

20. Link to Post #11
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    That is the paradox.
    Those who seek power are those who are most unworthy of wielding it. I totally agree with that, and it does feel like a paradox but is it just "the natural order?" Consider that the ambition of power is born from a sociopathic desire to dominate. This is already a corruption. Those on the other hand who are expanded as you say are aware of ego traps, the misuse of power, and the potential for self-annihilation. So they eschew that path owing to their higher wisdom.

But I suppose we still arrive at a paradox. Because who then do we choose to be our leaders?

I honestly feel the only solution is shared power, where no one person contains in his or her hands supreme administrative power. Authority needs to be spread, I would say ideally across a council of elders type scenario, one that is fully transparent, fully accountable, and with each position frequently rotated. It needs to be a public service, not a career path. This would of course require a radical rethink and restructure of every component of the political system.

Pie in the sky type stuff, at least in this reality.
    This thought path goes very well along with the "If you ruled the world" thread

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1385111

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Mashika/ the picture, the image very powerful. But it doesnt explain the entire context.

in this picture, its hard to imagine another scenario because the militant guy is in full uniform and arms and quite big, therefore prepared, and the other person surely looks the weak victim.

But there are other ways to read things as well. What if the person being dragged has just shot up a bunch of children?
    And the expressions could also be read out of context as well, the next frame could show different faces and interpretations.

all this being said, yes you are correct . but things are often not what they appear to be.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Antagenet (31st October 2020), Bill Ryan (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Mashika (4th November 2020), rgray222 (4th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020)

24. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,463 times in 4,332 posts

... "thinking" about it, it seems that only the "corrupted" seek positions of power... and the top dog psychopath fights tooth and nail for total power/control over anyone and everyone else.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st November 2020), Constance (4th November 2020), Mashika (4th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020)

26. Link to Post #14
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    Mashika/ the picture, the image very powerful. But it doesnt explain the entire context.

in this picture, its hard to imagine another scenario because the militant guy is in full uniform and arms and quite big, therefore prepared, and the other person surely looks the weak victim.

But there are other ways to read things as well. What if the person being dragged has just shot up a bunch of children?
    And the expressions could also be read out of context as well, the next frame could show different faces and interpretations.

all this being said, yes you are correct . but things are often not what they appear to be.
    Yeah i understand, still in the second case, it would still be true. Let's say the small kid is using age and fragility to cause a reaction from the world, i mean they put themselves into a position where they would get hit, so the picture would be taken. Then it's the same, they have corrupted a true fight for justice, they have the power of looking weak or defenseless and used it to manipulate the world's perception of whatever fight they have between government and them

So still power corrupts
    Last edited by Mashika; 4th November 2020 at 01:43.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread