+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The onslaught of prescription drug commercials on TV

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,240 times in 3,168 posts

Default The onslaught of prescription drug commercials on TV

We are under attack from the pharmaceutical companies. Is anyone else seeing this? There is a drug for everything.
    When I grew up there was none of this. This is insane!

Most recent, a drug for Narcolepsy called Sonoso, claiming that if you doze off in the mid afternoon, you may need this drug. Really ? ever hear of a siesta? Or taking a nap?

But what is really ticking me off is a drug called [/B]Fanapt . This is for voices in your head. Feelings that people are looking at you! And the TV commercials are comical .
    A hot looking model type young gal says, I feel people are staring at me. Well yeah, !I would be too.

Fanapt is used to treat schizophrenia in adults. Her are a few of the highlights.

Fanapt may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of this medicine. Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, restless muscle movements in your face or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble swallowing, or feeling like you might pass out.

Fanapt may increase the risk of death in older adults with dementia-related psychosis and is not approved for this use.

Tell your doctor if you have ever had:

trouble swallowing;
    long QT syndrome (in you or a family member);
    a seizure;
    diabetes, or risk factors such as being overweight or having a family history of diabetes;
    breast cancer;
    high cholesterol or triglycerides;
    an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood);
    low bone mineral density; or
    liver disease.
    Last edited by thepainterdoug; 31st October 2020 at 00:50.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Alan (31st October 2020), Antagenet (31st October 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (31st October 2020), East Sun (31st October 2020), EFO (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Ioneo (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (31st October 2020), rgray222 (31st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member raregem's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 times in 563 posts

Default Re: The onslaught of prescription drug commercials on TV

Yes. Such an onslaught of drug pushing with side affects causing more damage and serious health issues. I wonder why people hear the side affects and still take these meds. I suppose more meds are prescribed to counter the side affects.
    At one point in my life I was sad, sad, sad. The doctor prescribed amiltriptyline ($100.00 apprx./month) as prescribed. Before this I did not have any prescribed medications. I took it for two nights before bedtime. Each night I had the same nightmare -far trippier and disgusting than I have ever had in my dreams. Very scary. I did not watch scary movies either.. I do not like them.
    It was the kind of med that would have to be weaned from as well. I stopped taking it immediately and the nightmare did not happen again.
    It is assumed that I would be on meds by this age but I am not.
    I just wished people would consider the idea that many issues can be better just by having an alkaline body and cleaning the gut first, remove heavy metals and toxins. There are many natural remedies.
    My understanding is the pharmaceuticals are started with the natural plant then adulterated during processing. Hence, side affects.
    The big pharma industry needs to be held accountable again. People need to realize this system of "health" is one of destruction and dependency.
    Last edited by raregem; 31st October 2020 at 03:35.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to raregem For This Post:

Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020), Wansen (31st October 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Yes spot on raregem. Im am not now nor ever on any prescription drug. Perhaps I am blessed, but maybe I made my own blessing. People need to see that at the smallest sign of some adversity it doesnt mean you need to run to prescription drugs.

when truly called for, then fine. But people are on so many scripts, its beyond me.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Antagenet (31st October 2020), East Sun (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (31st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Deborah (ahamkara)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 times in 417 posts

Many people are responding to the current situation with decreased mental health and well being. Pharmaceutical companies know this and are will to offer a variety of deals with the devil to help you “cope”. Heavily medicated individuals are much less likely to resist - mentally or physically

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Deborah (ahamkara) For This Post:

Antagenet (31st October 2020), East Sun (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Ivanhoe (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (31st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    We are under attack from the pharmaceutical companies. Is anyone else seeing this? There is a drug for everything.

Most recent, a drug for Narcolepsy called Sonoso, claiming that if you doze off in the mid afternoon, you may need this drug. Really ? ever hear of a siesta? Or taking a nap?

But what is really ticking me off is a drug called [/B]Fanapt . This is for voices in your head. Feelings that people are looking at you! And the TV commercials are comical .
    A hot looking model type young gal says, I feel people are staring at me. Well yeah, !I would be too.

Fanapt is used to treat schizophrenia in adults. Her are a few of the highlights.

Fanapt may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of this medicine. Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, restless muscle movements in your face or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking), trouble swallowing, or feeling like you might pass out.

Fanapt may increase the risk of death in older adults with dementia-related psychosis and is not approved for this use.

Tell your doctor if you have ever had:

trouble swallowing;
    long QT syndrome (in you or a family member);
    a seizure;
    diabetes, or risk factors such as being overweight or having a family history of diabetes;
    breast cancer;
    high cholesterol or triglycerides;
    an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood);
    low bone mineral density; or
    liver disease.
    Back when first went to the US, i noticed that right away, drugs for every single thing, regardless of age, you have to get numb

Fall while playing: drugs
    Headache: drugs
    Common cold: drugs
    Cut on finger: drugs
    Emotional problems: drugs
    Bruises: drugs
    Classes getting hard: drugs
    Work getting hard: drugs
    Fun: drugs
    Not having fun: drugs
    Having a date: drugs
    Not having a date: drugs
    Spiritual trip: drugs
    No spiritual trip: more drugs
    Want to get slim: drugs
    Want to not be slim: drugs
    Gym: drugs
    Not gym: drugs

I know other places do similar but not quite, ever, other people still know and understand that feeling some pain is natural, and it doesn't mean you'll die or having to lamenting so much you have to put your body/brain to sleep to avoid the small lapse of pain, but what do i really know. I don't escape from anything, it's hard, but worth it in the end
    Last edited by Mashika; 31st October 2020 at 03:52.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

East Sun (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Hym (31st October 2020), Ioneo (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Yes Mashika we are brainwashed into thinking discomfort means you need professional help or drugs.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Antagenet (31st October 2020), East Sun (31st October 2020), Franny (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mashika (4th November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Yes Mashika we are brainwashed into thinking discomfort means you need professional help or drugs.
    I just don't get how it happened, because if you see, most people in the US were not raised like this, what happened to "no pain no gain" ? I know this was something and for a lot of people still is, excellence cannot be achieved by escaping effort and will. So how come?

Just like you said, it has gone way beyond, but i also think this is how parents teach, "run away from the pain and everything, because it's not normal"

Anywhere else i've been is just like "get up and keep going", but now in the US is "stand down and let the drugs take you over it, pain will be gone soon"

And that's totally crazy. I'm truly sorry for that and i think you know how by what you said on your OP. In the end, it's clear who and why this is happening
    Last edited by Mashika; 31st October 2020 at 04:46.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

East Sun (31st October 2020), Franny (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Well I think in many cases narcolepsy, schizophrenia and many other conditions absolutely benefit from medications. I think I get your point though and I agree. What's annoying me is they are pandering to people who aren't doctors and don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground. Why is your marketing targeting people outside the medical community? Send a brochure to my doctor they need to know about your product not me.

In the end it is what it is. I mind my business. If I got a dollar and became annoyed every time I've read or seen foolish health advice then I'd be wealthy and angry.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Well I think in many cases narcolepsy, schizophrenia and many other conditions absolutely benefit from medications. I think I get your point though and I agree. What's annoying me is they are pandering to people who aren't doctors and don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground. Why is your marketing targeting people outside the medical community? Send a brochure to my doctor they need to know about your product not me.

In the end it is what it is. I mind my business. If I got a dollar and became annoyed every time I've read or seen foolish health advice then I'd be wealthy and angry.
    Quote In the end it is what it is. I mind my business.
    In my land, this doesn't happen. Fakes get taken down in the hard way. And that's it. But it is told in different ways on this side of the world, mostly lies

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Franny (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), Strat (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)

In my land, this doesn't happen. Fakes get taken down in the hard way. And that's it. But it is told in different ways on this side of the world, mostly lies
    What do you mean? Could you expand on this a bit?
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)

What do you mean? Could you expand on this a bit?

A lot of what are considered "medical conditions" in your country are not real, and are fixed through a few talks with a doctor in a couple months.

But you don't know about it and you are considered "ill" and then spend thousands of dollars in payments so in the end you are told "you are cured", when you were never ill in the first place

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

East Sun (31st October 2020), Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You are Pfizer's worst nightmare.
    Last edited by Strat; 31st October 2020 at 08:20.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Harmony (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), Tintin (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

You are Pfizer's worst nightmare.
    Why even bother? At all?

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

East Sun (31st October 2020), Hym (31st October 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

I believe the problem is much deeper than individual drugs. Over the past 22 years, the pharmaceutical and health products industry has spent the most money (by far) of all industries in lobbying spending. Their money funds political corruption. The way to gain power and wealth as a politician is to sit on a committee. To get on these committees and especially to chair one you need to come up with tens of millions of dollars. Drug companies select politicians that they know will vote favourably for their company and industry. They are given money to "buy" a seat on the committee. Sometimes committee chairs can run into the hundreds of millions of dollars. (it is beyond insane)

The USA is one of the only countries in the world that allows TV and print advertising for Drugs (drug companies lobbied hard to get this approved), they are everywhere. The drug companies through their advertising revenues have major influence over the mainstream media. I am not trying to turn this into a political thread but............... Big pharma wants big government when Trump mentioned getting rid of lobbyist, they united against him - big pharma donated so much money to the Biden campaign that is has become the most costly election in the history of politics.

If we got rid of lobbyist we would most likely get rid of these ads and stop at least 70-80% of the political corruption

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Harmony (1st November 2020), Hym (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), Orph (31st October 2020), raregem (1st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020), toppy (31st October 2020), UNEEKSTUF (4th November 2020)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 times in 438 posts

Quote Posted by rgray222 (here)
    The USA is one of the only countries in the world that allows TV and print advertising for Drugs (drug companies lobbied hard to get this approved), they are everywhere.
    Germany also does TV and print advertising for drugs.

Thats also why I wrote in the tread: If-You-Ruled-the-World....
    Quote Posted by Michi (here)
    I would abolish any type of advertisements of pharma products. Pharma be funded only on ethical therms and no less than 95% efficiency certification and must cure (not treat symptoms).
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Harmony (1st November 2020), Hym (31st October 2020), Ivanhoe (31st October 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mercedes (31st October 2020), Orph (31st October 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (31st October 2020)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,804 times in 2,587 posts

I have watched these commercials for years now with my jaw hanging open as they rattle through the side effects. It boggles me, and I always wonder why in the world would anyone in their right mind take that particular drug after hearing the possible results? They sound like russian roulette!

One even said "Call your doctor if you have - trouble breathing, severe head pain, irreversible paralysis, uncontrollable bleeding, etc. etc. etc. or death."
    I joked with my husband about the idea of someone calling their doc saying "Duh - hey doc! I think I'm dead...."

At least they abide by the law and do tell everyone the consequences.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

East Sun (1st November 2020), Harmony (1st November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Michi (1st November 2020), rgray222 (31st October 2020), thepainterdoug (1st November 2020)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    I have watched these commercials for years now with my jaw hanging open as they rattle through the side effects. It boggles me, and I always wonder why in the world would anyone in their right mind take that particular drug after hearing the possible results? They sound like russian roulette!

One even said "Call your doctor if you have - trouble breathing, severe head pain, irreversible paralysis, uncontrollable bleeding, etc. etc. etc. or death."
    I joked with my husband about the idea of someone calling their doc saying "Duh - hey doc! I think I'm dead...."

At least they abide by the law and do tell everyone the consequences.
    I heard a comedian say..............drug companies spend 45 seconds telling you how great their product is and the next 15 seconds daring you to take it. It was funny but at the same time sad.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

East Sun (1st November 2020), Harmony (1st November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020), thepainterdoug (1st November 2020)

35. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,581 times in 1,719 posts

I have not watched Tv for 25 years, when I did I muted every commercial, and
    asked my family to do the same.

I could see the brainwashing and manipulation even then.

Now friends that are very intelligent are still obsessed by stupid programs.

To save humanity I would ban Tv outright so that people could wake up.
    They might even get to realize what is happening in front of their eyes,

Check out on the internet things like, World population genocide of BILLIONS
    of humans.

Get that! Let it sink in and do some research in any way you Can.
    There is a war on and we are at stake, all of us. Dont say you were not warned.

And it's here now at your front door.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Harmony (1st November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020), thepainterdoug (1st November 2020)

37. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    I have not watched Tv for 25 years, when I did I muted every commercial, and
    asked my family to do the same.
    I still enjoy some TV but I absolutely mute the commercials. Not so much fear of brainwashing but it's just so tiring hearing the same old bs.

PBS has a lot of good stuff. Other than that I don't watch too much TV, mostly sports. Gotta watch the Jags lose every Sunday.

Quote Posted by East Sun (here)
    And it's here now at your front door.
    Now Testify!!

My old avatar came from this music video.
    Last edited by Strat; 1st November 2020 at 00:14.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (1st November 2020), East Sun (1st November 2020), Harmony (1st November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020), thepainterdoug (1st November 2020)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

I dont ban myself from anything. Im strong enought to hear and see it all and see the joke in it. I am not on any drugs or pills of any kind, dont really even have a doctor.

i never eat fast food and cook everything myself at home. you can censor yourself if that works better. but i enjoy all

im on this earth, not of this earth

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

East Sun (26th January 2021), Harmony (1st November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (1st November 2020), Mashika (4th November 2020), raregem (2nd November 2020), rgray222 (1st November 2020), Strat (1st November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (1st November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast