1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 times in 276 posts

Default Re: Biden Supporters

Quote Posted by Cipher (here)
    Quote Posted by 42 (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Apparently we don't have a single Biden supporter here. Astonishing!
    We have half a dozen (or maybe 7, or possibly even 8 or 9) — but I won't out them! They've posted recently on various threads. (Most are commendably pleasant, but not every one them has expressed themselves that way.)
    You can out me if you like.... 10

You can out me as well.... 11
    I've nevered shared an opinion here of Biden, but after the Trump experiment I think it's safe to say that a position as important as the presidency of the United States should never be placed in the hands of someone so deeply damaged.
    Damaged... yes. or some other qualities:

A man who brags about grabbing women by their genitals. A man who calls members of the US military "losers" and "suckers." (How are those bone spurs affecting his golf game?) A morally bankrupt, impeached and now lame duck President. A man who mocks the disabled, who basks in the adoration of a crowd chanting his name as he engages in cruelty. A man who blatantly ignored science and public health experts and said a highly infectious novel coronavirus would go away without a plan to treat it or contain it.

A man whose public utterances reflect that of a racist, a misogynist and a bigot whose administration attacks the rights of the LGBTQ community.

Oh let me count the ways...
    Love is all you need

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 42 For This Post:

abmqa (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (11th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Franny (12th November 2020), Gracy (11th November 2020), Harmony (11th November 2020), Mandala (13th November 2020), Mike (11th November 2020), onawah (12th November 2020), safara (12th November 2020), Tam (12th November 2020), Wind (13th November 2020), wondering (12th November 2020)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

Okay, 42, we'll mark you down as a never Trumper, but not neccesarily an enthusiastic Biden guy. Thanks for playin.

Anyone out there a robust, enthusiastic, number 1 foam finger waving Biden supporter???

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Alan (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (11th November 2020), ClearWater (11th November 2020), Constance (11th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Franny (12th November 2020), Gracy (12th November 2020), Harmony (11th November 2020), justntime2learn (12th November 2020), onawah (12th November 2020), Tam (12th November 2020), wondering (12th November 2020)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Anyone out there a robust, enthusiastic, number 1 foam finger waving Biden supporter???
    It doesn't have to come down to 100% gung ho for a presidential candidate. Like, you know that feeling when you finally get back to the safety and comfort of you car, all numbed up and fat lipped from some serious dental work? It's not like your car was ever all that great in the first place, but compared with the experience of the root canal or a major tooth pulled, it's like sinking on into that big well worn in easy chair. "Ahhhhhhh..."

Biden is experienced, has a steady hand, and knows how to keep a country on edge at least somewhat calm, and reassured, during a worldwide pandemic and economic crisis.

Joe Biden is the safe bet to see us through these troubled times, help us repair the damage done both at home and abroad, and to begin restoration of our treasured institutions.

6. Link to Post #44
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

From what I have seen, if someone cares about Biden then they should feel bad that he is still working (or being used). I would expect that a person would be supporting the party rather than Biden himself.

Another sad thing that is seen in many elections is that people are in a position where they are trying to vote for the lesser evil - they are casting a vote against a party rather than for a party.

Here in Canada, so many times I found myself voting for a party that I didn't really care for only because I didn't want the other party to gain power.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), Elainie (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Franny (12th November 2020), Gracy (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), onawah (12th November 2020), Tam (12th November 2020)

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    It doesn't have to come down to 100% gung ho for a presidential candidate. Like, you know that feeling when you finally get back to the safety and comfort of you car, all numbed up and fat lipped from some serious dental work? It's not like your car was ever all that great in the first place, but compared with the experience of the root canal or a major tooth pulled, it's like sinking on into that big well worn in easy chair. "Ahhhhhhh..."

Biden is experienced, has a steady hand, and knows how to keep a country on edge at least somewhat calm, and reassured, during a worldwide pandemic and economic crisis.

Joe Biden is the safe bet to see us through these troubled times, help us repair the damage done both at home and abroad, and to begin restoration of our treasured institutions.

Yep, I see what ya mean. I get it.

The reason I worded that question the way I did is because most Trump supporters would go to war for him. They're 150% totally dedicated. And they seem to be everywhere I look, both on Avalon and in my everyday life. I'm hard pressed to find anyone who gives half a sh!t about Biden, but this is the guy that won the election??

I'm still shocked Gracy. But I'm doin ok. Really, doin just fine. Not upset or angry at all. Pfft, who has time for that? I'm an oak. I'm taking it all really well, I swear. No, seriously, I'm doing just great. Yep. Great. I've already moved on...I sure have. Haven't lost a single stride over all this. Not one. Never been better, matter of fact. Really!

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), Constance (12th November 2020), Deux Corbeaux (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Franny (12th November 2020), Gracy (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th November 2020), onawah (12th November 2020), Sarah Rainsong (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), Tam (12th November 2020), Wind (13th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

10. Link to Post #46
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,504 times in 4,311 posts

For most of my life I felt voting was useless. And you can make a pretty compelling argument that it is (and you did just that). And if we are to believe that fraud played a big part in this election, perhaps it is, in this instance. But, voting is what got Trump in in the first place, and I felt a duty to at least try to get him back in again. So I voted. And maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think it was in vain.
    Not at all in vain my friend. Every (legal) vote counts, this time perhaps more than any other time, at least in recent memory.

There's also another angle to this. Because the US is at the centre of world affairs, is pretty much the fulcrum around which every other nation revolves, the whole world has a stake in choosing its leader. Do not doubt that onlookers worldwide, though they could not cast a ballot, also played a part in this election. I feel we are standing at an historic crossroads, and whether for Trump or Biden, the world has made an appeal to the Universe and God and voted with their hearts and their souls.

So I voted too, and it will not be in vain either.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Harmony (13th November 2020), Jayke (12th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), T Smith (13th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

12. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 times in 276 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    For most of my life I felt voting was useless. And you can make a pretty compelling argument that it is (and you did just that). And if we are to believe that fraud played a big part in this election, perhaps it is, in this instance. But, voting is what got Trump in in the first place, and I felt a duty to at least try to get him back in again. So I voted. And maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think it was in vain.
    Not at all in vain my friend. Every (legal) vote counts, this time perhaps more than any other time, at least in recent memory.

There's also another angle to this. Because the US is at the centre of world affairs, is pretty much the fulcrum around which every other nation revolves, the whole world has a stake in choosing its leader. Do not doubt that onlookers worldwide, though they could not cast a ballot, also played a part in this election. I feel we are standing at an historic crossroads, and whether for Trump or Biden, the world has made an appeal to the Universe and God and voted with their hearts and their souls.

So I voted too, and it will not be in vain either.
    Star - while i appreciate your perspective, there are 195 countries in the world, and some of them may disagree with your US centric perspective. trump has blatantly focused on US isolationism to the annoyance and exclusion of former allies and relationships. While you may believe MAGA is positive, much of the world feels jilted. My UK friends think that "Make America Great Britain Again" would be a better caption.
    Love is all you need

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 42 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Harmony (13th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by vizon (here)
    Then once he retires after 2 months, Kamala will be the deeply beloved first female president, distracting the masses from her truly terrible ways. We would absolutely have 8 years of that, possibly with Clinton as VP? Who knows. I would hope not.
    I wonder how the people will like that snide, superior Kamala Harris as president? At least Hillary tried to hide it.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

avid (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), Elainie (12th November 2020), Jayke (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

16. Link to Post #49
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

Quote Posted by Cipher (here)
    Apparently we don't have a single Biden supporter here. Astonishing!
    We have half a dozen (or maybe 7, or possibly even 8 or 9) — but I won't out them! They've posted recently on various threads. (Most are commendably pleasant, but not every one them has expressed themselves that way.)
    You can out me if you like.... 10

You can out me as well.... 11
    I've nevered shared an opinion here of Biden, but after the Trump experiment I think it's safe to say that a position as important as the presidency of the United States should never be placed in the hands of someone so deeply damaged.
    Damaged... yes. or some other qualities:

A man who brags about grabbing women by their genitals. A man who calls members of the US military "losers" and "suckers." (How are those bone spurs affecting his golf game?) A morally bankrupt, impeached and now lame duck President. A man who mocks the disabled, who basks in the adoration of a crowd chanting his name as he engages in cruelty. A man who blatantly ignored science and public health experts and said a highly infectious novel coronavirus would go away without a plan to treat it or contain it.

A man whose public utterances reflect that of a racist, a misogynist and a bigot whose administration attacks the rights of the LGBTQ community.

Oh let me count the ways...
    These are all hearsay, persiflage, outright lies and political propaganda-the bit about 'grabbing them by the pussy' was contextual hyperbole, locker room talk. You mean to tell me you are a saintly man who has never spoken in a ribald manner about women at some point? The level of Po faced hypocrisy coming from some people is just nauseating: all of this has nothing to do with D.J Trump the President who turned the entire economic fortunes of America around, on the ash heap which Obama (Jesus to some) left after 8 years of lies, ineptitude and skullduggery. The moral probity of political leaders has never really been relevant, Churchill, Disraeli, Clinton (Bill), Johnston...whomever have had their peccadillos and character flaws. These are not only ridiculous assertions, they indicate a complete absence of realistic judgement. Biden is a scumbag, a lying, deceptive moral bankrupt who has spent 47 years as a professional politician, achieved precisely nothing but hot air, he has questionable relationships with China, criminal activity in the Ukraine and deep corruption riddling his entire family: don't you dare bring your mainstream media bull**** here and pass yourself off as a critical thinking person.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Alan (12th November 2020), Brigantia (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), Deux Corbeaux (12th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), T Smith (13th November 2020), vizon (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

Mike G. I love your passion and happen to agree with your take. But any sort of bickering or back n forth has to stop here. I don't want this to be that kind of thread. I am a Trump guy, like you, but in fairness I'm asking why people supported Biden, and some of those reasons involve an extreme dislike of Trump..so if people want to express that here it's perfectly ok. But this isn't a debate thread. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike; 12th November 2020 at 16:25.

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), avid (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Deux Corbeaux (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Gracy (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

20. Link to Post #51
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    ...the bit about 'grabbing them by the pussy' was contextual hyperbole, locker room talk. You mean to tell me you are a saintly man who has never spoken in a ribald manner about women at some point?
    Err. Yes. I am no saint, but I have never talked about women in such a demeaning, crass and downright rude way. In my opinion, agreement with it is indefensible. The world need more love and acceptance.

To the thead. Not a USA voter, but if I was, in this election, I would have been a Biden supporter simply because he is not Trump.

In my opinion, Left wing and Right wing are both part of the same bird, the same beast, and going one way or the other just steers it a little this way or that, but the ultimate destination is the same.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to safara For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Mandala (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), Wind (13th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

22. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 times in 787 posts

Even a "white hat" Illuminati faction deems Biden/Harris, Soros, Gates as enemies of humanity. That should say something but it's far more complex than I can get into here.

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Jayke (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), shamballaOn (16th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), Tintin (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

24. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Quote Posted by safara (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike Gorman (here)
    ...the bit about 'grabbing them by the pussy' was contextual hyperbole, locker room talk. You mean to tell me you are a saintly man who has never spoken in a ribald manner about women at some point?
    Err. Yes. I am no saint, but I have never talked about women in such a demeaning, crass and downright rude way. In my opinion, agreement with it is indefensible. The world need more love and acceptance.

To the thead. Not a USA voter, but if I was, in this election, I would have been a Biden supporter simply because he is not Trump.

In my opinion, Left wing and Right wing are both part of the same bird, the same beast, and going one way or the other just steers it a little this way or that, but the ultimate destination is the same.

Years ago my older sister flew from Seattle to Washington D.C. to participate in an anti Trump protest of some sort, which was mostly inspired by his " grab 'em by the.." comments about women. When discussing it with me, she said she "owed it to her daughters" to do it.

Noble, on the one hand. But, I couldn't help but think: if the conversations of every male politician in D.C. were made public, and protests were the appropriate reaction to crude comments...all the women on earth - past, present, and future - would be forced to spend the rest of their bloody lives protesting!

But, that's partially why my sister dislikes him so much. It began with that comment and she never forgave him for it. I'm sure many female voters felt similarly.

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Alan (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Forest Denizen (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), justntime2learn (12th November 2020), Mandala (13th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), safara (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

26. Link to Post #54
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,723 times in 2,088 posts

I was talking about Biden supporters the other day, A friend of mine nailed it, Whenever you ask a Biden supporter why they are supporting Biden, tell them first that they cannot reference our current president in any of their explanation and see where they go? After all after 47 years in public office there is surely something of prominence that comes to mind to propel Biden for president? Right?

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Alan (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Elainie (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), justntime2learn (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

28. Link to Post #55
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,723 times in 2,088 posts

To follow that up, I watched a chronological timeline of both Biden and Trump from childhood until now that aired last week on public tv. I truly watched it with an open mind as to both men's accomplishments and failures. Trump has had many both ways but always tries to stay positive and is always pushing forward. Biden honestly to my surprise and disappointment had absolutely nothing of accomplishments in his 47 year career in public office to hang his hat on except that he got elected. The only opinion I had after they detailed Biden was that he seems like a compassionate family man. And now at his age to lead this country with definite signs of dementia its very very sad the democratic party would prop up him as their poster boy to run for office--------- unless Kamila was the plan all along.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Alan (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Elainie (12th November 2020), Franny (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), justntime2learn (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

30. Link to Post #56
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,532 times in 2,553 posts

Just as an aside, I shudder to think how some of my women acquaintances might feel if their comments about men during our bawdier conversations were broadcast publicly!
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

31. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Alan (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), ClearWater (12th November 2020), Eva2 (12th November 2020), Ewan (13th November 2020), Franny (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), justntime2learn (12th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

32. Link to Post #57
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

I only ever had one conversation with a Biden supporter: a very bright, pleasant, and able American woman living in Ecuador who joined me for a 5-hour hike a couple of months ago.

She had done a great deal of social justice work in her career — real SJ work. Not the internet kind. She'd lived and worked in refugee camps, traveled in Africa, and worked for a number of charitable organizations. She'd been deeply involved in issues of equality and opportunity, and kudos to her.

So I asked her a lot of questions, and listened well. Her support for Biden was ALL in the cause of what she [broadly] called social justice. Nothing else.

33. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Baby Steps (12th November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (12th November 2020), Elainie (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), justntime2learn (12th November 2020), kudzy (13th November 2020), Mandala (13th November 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th November 2020), Michi (13th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), safara (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), T Smith (13th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020), Yoda (13th November 2020)

34. Link to Post #58
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Just as an aside, I shudder to think how some of my women acquaintances might feel if their comments about men during our bawdier conversations were broadcast publicly!
    Same issue regardless of which gender is being derogatory about the other, based purely on gender. It is aweful to think that this is condoned. We need to grow past this.

This is not about having a go at "Mary" or "Gerald" because you think they are knobs or you want to grab their bits. This is about lumping the same comments to a whole section of the world based on their sex.

I only ever had one conversation with a Biden supporter: a very bright, pleasant, and able American woman living in Ecuador who joined me for a 5-hour hike a couple of months ago.

She had done a great deal of social justice work in her career — real SJ work. Not the internet kind. She'd lived and worked in refugee camps, traveled in Africa, and worked for a number of charitable organizations. She'd been deeply involved in issues of equality and opportunity, and kudos to her.

So I asked her a lot of questions, and listened well. Her support for Biden was ALL in the cause of what she [broadly] called social justice. Nothing else.
    Nothing wrong with being in public office and your sole goal is to make society better focussing on social justice. Could be argued that that is what polititians should predominantly be for. Let capitalist business take care of itself. Let elected representatives use the taxes we give them to make our lives socially better. Something like that anyway.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to safara For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

36. Link to Post #59
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 times in 639 posts

Quote After all after 47 years in public office there is surely something of prominence that comes to mind to propel Biden for president? Right?
    When "People Power" was ousting Ferdinand Marcos in the Philippines, President Reagan rather hamhandedly and mistakenly decided he would back Mr. Marcos rather than the will of the Filipinos. The then chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Joe Biden, responded, "They must be smoking opium in the White House." In it's own way, since the internet at that time was mostly still just at universities and such, the comment "went viral", and all of a sudden people were interviewing Senator Biden, and interviewing people at the White House, and pointing out how out of touch President Reagan seemed to be on foreign policy with an ally hosting one of our most important naval bases in the world.

The White House walked back President Reagan's comments and officially backed, and had the State Department back, calls for Marcos to resign.

I mention that one because the quote was and is still famous. Joe Biden spent decades as possibly the top foreign policy expert in the U.S. Senate. And top or near top much of the time at the Judiciary Committee, including watchdogging torture and indiscriminate wiretapping by the George W. Bush administration from there.

If every single person you've talked to has no idea what Joe Biden has ever done, then they are either 12 years old or have memories like sieves.

37. Link to Post #60
    Language
    English
    Thanks

He was also part of the efforts that culminated in the transition of Rhodesia to Zimbabwe. My history.

A lot I could say about this whole process, however, being brief - The result was flawed, but this was the fault of the British - kudos to Biden for being part of the change.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EmTU97TWEAAlYE_.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	45086

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to safara For This Post:

42 (12th November 2020), Bill Ryan (12th November 2020), Cipher (12th November 2020), Constance (12th November 2020), Harmony (12th November 2020), Mike (12th November 2020), Old Student (12th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (12th November 2020), wondering (13th November 2020)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast